7.5

1. Mar 15, 2014
    his is the most-"loyal"-to-the-book Harry Potter movie, and it's from one of the best books. Logically, results in a wonderfull, amazing movie. Even if the effects aren't so good compared with the later films, the plot line is incredible. I have to repeat it, the "loyalty" to the book was amazing, that made this film awesome. I watched it 7 times in video and 2 times in the cinema. Yes, you heard well. I repeated a movie in the cinema, without beeing a super-fan. I loved it. Expand
  2. Nov 30, 2013
    Even though it was all kids, or for the most part, Chris Columbus did it pretty well this time in 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'. It stayed really true to the book and had decent effect for its time.
  3. Nov 28, 2013
    this is an good adaptation of the j.k. rowlling book wich defines a good start point for this franchise,it is not a so perfect movie.Unfortunately daniel redcliffe isn't a so good actor to make this rule.
  4. Nov 12, 2013
    A spellbinding story of a young wizard that electrifies.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone enchants audiences with a well forged script and impressive young actors.
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is a great and magical start to the Harry Potter series. It's surprisingly very faithful to the book, as Director Chris Columbus makes the film so that it's exactly like the book, so there's not much room for surprises. But this movie is an intense and fun adventure with impressive visual effects.
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    With well-written dialogue and stunning visual effects, as well well-executed acting performances, 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' is truly magical.
  7. Sep 8, 2013
    Not only was it a great start to one of the most beloved book series/franchise of all time, it stayed loyal to the books and introduced children everywhere to a whole new breed of wizardry. Overall, this is the same guy who made "The Lightening Thief"? Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    The movie is honestly... overrated. There is far too much talking, and too many scenes where people aren't really doing much, with a few exciting scenes, and that's about it. Talking scenes are okay for books, but, for movies, I'd like to see a lot more. And, even though it's common for dramatic movies to have uncolorful lighting, for a world of magic, it sure looked a bit dull. Not very memorable. Expand
  9. Jul 24, 2013
    Tiene un buen contenido de algo que se desviaba a la brujeria cursi pero la pelicula es realmente es relmente aburrida y con nombres raros desde el principio
  10. Jul 14, 2013
    A classic film that boasts of adventure, emotion, music (that theme- John Williams never disappoints), amazing sets, visuals, directing and great acting (every actor/actress cast perfectly). Everything about this film is lovable, classical and perfect and follows the book wonderfully.
  11. Jul 11, 2013
    There was quite the air of anticipation when this film was announced, based on a book, and full of magical tendencies, at 11 years old I was deep into the books, and was really looking forward to see the characters I read about and come to know over the years, brought to life on the big screen, because this franchise was truly the stepping stone for all other fantasy novels and genres to take the leap out of the black and white pages. Chris Columbus kicked off what was to become a worldwide phenomenon, brimming with excitement and passionate stories that JK Rowling has written.
    Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is met with the unimaginable after finding out on his 11th birthday that he is a wizard, and that he is scheduled to enrol in Hogwarts, a magical school for witches and wizards that is vastly different from our seemingly routine earth. Harry is introduced to all kinds of magical anomalies, complete towns behind dead end walls, wands, broomsticks, every sort of out of this world thing imaginable. But of course there is always darkness with light, and Harry soon discovers that there is a reason people whisper is name as he passes and why the professors at Hogwarts take such an interest in his life.
    Joining him for the journey are dynamic duo is red-haired Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and the brains and elegance that is Hermione Granger (Emma Watson). These three truly get more than they bargain for as they form unlikely friendships, particularly with the half-giant Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane) who has more than a few secrets to divulge.
    The huge British cast the film boasts is quite fitting for these characters are pictured when reading the book, and in terms of the scale of the film, it simply doesn't get much bigger, while also staying as true as it can to the source material for the purposes of film, a lot of effort and attention to detail is quite breathtaking, from the Great Hall to the dormitories within each house. While the child at times can be a little jarring and too much on cue, the overall tone of the film maintains a light-hearted approach the way the first book entry in the series outlined.
    The film succeeds in adventure and emotional clarification for our main man Harry, this boy has lost his parents and only eleven years later knows the truth surrounding his whole life, but with this quite tragic story the creators have managed to create a film that appeals to all ages, with a perfect mixture of comedy, action, amazement, but most of all, magic.
  12. Jul 4, 2013
    Wonderful music, passionate, beautiful visuals, and true to the book, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is a delight, but still suffers from the fact that it may not surprise to the book fans.
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is outstanding and magical, it has everything that a family movie should have, the acting, story and visuals are excellent, it is original and one of the best.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone brings everything a movie needs, from amazing young cast, a more mature cast, great special effects for the year of 2001, art direction magic that surely deserved an Oscar, the script does not speak to what is really amazing how Steve Kloves was faithful to livro.E Chris Columbus for the first time (in my opinion) been in a serious movie and respected.
  15. May 18, 2013
    Close to the book but still entertains. Excitingly enough I thought it would be great though it fared lower than most of its sequels. Zeal needed but a total failure when it came to dialogue. But very good stuff.

Next Movie!
  16. May 10, 2013
    An amazing piece of art, great and really entertaining, a movie for the whole family, really well done! But it is more for kids.
  17. Apr 21, 2013
    I've never been the kind of person that buys into hype and to be honest, I hate most big budget films, So until this weekend, I've avoided everything Harry Potter. That being said, I have never met anyone who had anything bad to say about the Potter films, so I finally decided to give it a shot, and boy was I surprised! For those select few who don't know the story, Harry Potter is the son of two legendary wizards, who was hidden with distant relatives, in order to protect him. Until his eleventh birthday, he had no idea that he was famous or had the potential to be the most power wizard the world has ever known. Potter is invited to join the Hogwarts school of wizardry and that is when the adventure begins. British Actor, Daniel Radcliffe, plays Potter and is nothing short of spectacular. Before the Potter films, Radcliffe had very limited acting experience and many say, he got the part, because of his resemblance to Harry Potter on the cover of the book. That may be how he got the part, but he defiantly shows he has the talent to go along with the right look. His performance was terrific, but there is something to be said about having the right Director, and Christopher Columbus was the perfect choice. Columbus has a ton of experience working with young newcomers in films with high expectations. Overall, the story is extremely well written, the young cast was refreshing and full of energy, the direction was stellar, and the set, costumes, and effects were some of the best I've ever seen. I'm not going to go run out and join a quitage team, but I am going to see the rest of the series. Harry Potter is a huge budget franchise, but for once, a blockbuster film does live up to the hype, and earns the title of a must see movie! Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2013
    I first saw this movie when i was 4, i'm now 14 and I still love it. The film is outstanding, the acting excellent, the special effects mind blowing and the characters brilliant.
  19. Apr 14, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. The creativity, the special effects, the story, the characters, the performances, and the villain were so carefully and perfectly put together to make a heck of a movie. I can't describe how great this movie is compared to all the other fantasy movies I have ever seen.
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    Remarkably well acting by a group of eleven-year-old children who would eventually become superstars in the film world. Very strong effects for the early 21st century.
  21. Mar 23, 2013
    One of the greatest movie experiences of my childhood. The first part of the greatest magical saga "Harry Potter" is probably the best choice you can make if you haven't watch, especially if you like mysteries,magic and if you have imagination! This movie is an example of PERFECTION! Full 10/10, without no doubt! I'm proud with the fact that i grew up with this movies and i'm proud to call myself a huge Harry Potter fan! Expand
  22. Feb 10, 2013
    At times it does feel to family orientated and isn't as dark as you'd like, but the first in the 'Harry Potter' franchise is a fun mystery adventure that introduces us to the world of Hogwarts, while being a wonderfully magical adaptation of the classic J.K Rowling novels.
  23. Jan 22, 2013
    Very good adaptation of the book. All Harry Potter movies are good and recommended.
  24. Jan 3, 2013
    I saw this at a friend's house along with the second Harry Potter movie after it was released on video. This movie just bored me to death. I don't see what all the hype is about. Maybe you had to read the book, my friends who have read the book tell me that the book is way better than the movie. Rating it as a bad movie since it was so boring I only remember two parts, the beginning and the end and neither or those were that exciting either. I thought the ending was stupid actually. After seeing the first two movies, I have never bothered seeing any others since I was so bored by the first two. Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2013
    The main characters acted well for children. There were some boring parts, but overall, it was enjoyable. It had a bright point of view and a dark point of view. The background music was well conducted. Graphics were good for a movie made 12 years ago. But there were some parts that connected the seens in the book, while in the movie, there isn't some connecting scenes from one sceene to another, so people that didn't read the book and only watched the movie might be a little confused, but it was great, and I hope that they keep on developing, and make movies that get top scores. Expand
  26. Dec 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a really well done movie. I was really intrigued to see how well they would portray the book on film and I must say, they did a fantastic job. There were undoubtedly some major and minor differences but I felt almost all of these were perfectly fine. Obviously it's impossible to include every aspect but there were some things that I think they could've/should've done differently. For one, I understand you can't add everything and that some things might have to be changed in order to make the movie work but if that's the case, why add things that are completely unnecessary? For example, the moving stairs. As for the things taken out or changes, I have no problem with all of them, except one. In the end when they're making their way through the various challenges, they took out Snape's potion riddle. To me, that was the second most important and memorable challenge of them all behind the chess challenge. This would've only added another minute or two and should've been included in the movie. Nonetheless, this was a well done book-to-movie adaptation. The acting of some of the students left a little to be desired but it wasn't too bad and I've heard it improves as they, and the book/movies age. Expand
  27. Dec 25, 2012
    While this is only the first installment in the series and remarkably Disney-like, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's in no way a groundbreaking movie, but it has no major drawbacks either. Good character build-up combined with a nicely produced movie makes this an easy recommendation.
  28. Dec 21, 2012
    Though it was a good start to the most sucessful trilogy of all time, I thought it was a little childish and not extremeley well written. Other than that the movie was a sucess.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    Dark, mystical, and not afraid to leave the audience begging for more, "The Sorcerer's Stone" truly remains a worthy start to a great franchise.
  30. Nov 10, 2012
    Such a magical film for kids everywhere. I remember seeing this for the first time when I was a kid. It was spellbinding. Every time I watch Sorcerer's Stone I still feel that old feeling of happiness, but HP1 is not as dark and gritty as later Harry Potter's that I believe to produce more emotional depth. Some people prefer this one and think it is the best one. What more could Potter fans ask for? This is a wonderful film to watch. It starts off a series in spectacular fashion. Expand
  31. Nov 9, 2012
    A great score, fantastic sets and costumes and brilliant acting throughout. Amazing transformation from book to screen, including almost all of the detail provided in the book, done superbly.
  32. Nov 8, 2012
    Harry Potter is dazzling and magical. It's a film of pure of wonder that's enjoyable for the whole family.
  33. Oct 19, 2012
    Released in 2001, J.K. Rowling's international bestseller got its film adaptation here. While it must be admitted that it does have a nice charm to it, its sometimes lopsided pacing can break it off from the perfection it was so dramatically close to.
  34. Sep 23, 2012
    The Sorcerer's Stone is a decent opener for the Harry Potter franchise. There is a lot of fun to be had discovering the world of Hogwarts. The film isn't perfect however; hefty over-length and an uneven final third keep it from joining the truly brilliant Potter outings.
  35. Aug 14, 2012
    We all know the story to Harry Potter. Orphan who has nothing turns into the greatest wizard of all time. The first film instalment sticks true to the original book and includes some good special effects but nothing that will stand out from anything but a kids film.
  36. Jul 18, 2012
    This movie is great for a beginning of a great visual effects saga.Os so perfect for a year called 2001 the Soundtrack ta perfect film is good in every way until the script legal.O ta ta good cast is Ron Rupert Emma surprised me and Daniel is a good actor.
  37. Jul 12, 2012
    Truly magical. Yes, there is more of a kiddie approach to everything and Radcliffe's acting isn't exactly great (but he was a kid, come on!) but everything else was perfect. They did a spectacular job capturing the magic of Hogwarts and everything else in the Harry Potter universe, and the casting, oh the casting is so, so great. Kicks off one of the greatest franchises in movie history with a bang. Expand
  38. Jun 20, 2012
    Harry Potter the movie was great! Yes the book was better, but isn't that always the way when there is a novel to film adaptation? There was magic, friendships and basically evil magicians going around wanting to win the world and kill specific people. Great movie and fun for the kids and a good family viewing movie.
  39. Jun 14, 2012
    The first movie, Chris Columbus opened a saga that would mark a generation. I was dazzling, visually beautiful, funny and magic. John William's music was wonderful, it fitted very well to every sequence.
  40. May 3, 2012
    The first Harry Potter in the movie series of Harry Potter film's. The start had no interest for me at all. But after the troll scene it start's to get really good, but the start effects this movie in ,a big way. The middle and the end of the film did it for me. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 6.9/10
  41. Mar 28, 2012
    Amazing this movie, is really interesting, amazing, a bigger sorprise, I think that have some mistakes, but is awesome movie. I love Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a classic.
  42. Mar 27, 2012
    An astonishing movie that was perfect in its tone. It captured the world of magic perfectly and John Williams score connected brilliantly. A classic it certainly is. Who knew what would come of this series. It will always remain the beginning of a franchise that will be remembered forever in cinema.
  43. Mar 25, 2012
    The Sorcerer's Stone is an excellent start to Harry Potter. It is a magical a joyful film. Everything i expected from reading the book Christopher Columbus has turned into something even more special. i suspect this will continue into the others.
  44. Jan 28, 2012
    It features an insanely good and experianced older cast that fit the characters perfectly (excellent casting for the film). The younger cast members as solid as well and also fit their parts perfectly. It did a good job going from book to film but that was it, There was no originality to it, No creativity. Thats what sort of took away from the film quite a bit. It was still enjoyable though and I liked it. Expand
  45. Dec 28, 2011
    It does an impeccable job of conveying all the emotional warmth and utter enchantment that the book had, and John Williams's fantastic soundtrack makes it all the better. This is a movie that will truly capture your sense of wonder.
  46. Dec 17, 2011
    With fantastic and heartwarming debut performances from the children, good visual effects, a heartwarming, sometimes thrilling story, make this a good start to one of the greatest franchises ever. Despite the fact of the incredibly long length and the lack of adventure. I give this excellent movie an 84% of a good movie.
  47. Dec 2, 2011
    While it does a good job taking a bulk of the details from the book and putting it into film, The movie is pretty corny and rather childish (yes I know it's based off a childrens book). The acting is solid but I am a bit disapointed that they didnt use their experianced older cast members more. It was enjoyable for the most part though.
  48. Nov 26, 2011
    Wasnt as bad as I remembered. The older cast members were great and played their parts perfectly, The young cast was solid as well. The movie was decent and was as loyal to the book as it could be. However it lacked originality and the CGI wasnt that good either (The troll looked poorly done).
  49. Nov 22, 2011
    Where do I start?! This movie presents the greatest entertainment the business had to offer in 2001! I personally love this series, and this is a wonderful introduction. Harry Potter has arrived at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the magic begins here. Harry meets two children named Ron and Hermione, and he wouldn't live without them. The choice of casting surpasses perfection, and the movie is an awesome start to an awesome series! Expand
  50. Nov 13, 2011
    It is faithful to what happened in the novel. A great story and visuals are what make it perfect/near perfect. The actors give great performances and it is believable.
  51. Nov 6, 2011
    It's an excellent start to an excellent franchise. It's very faithful to it's literary counterpart and it's pure cinematic magic. It's impressively designed and sports likable characters, emotion, friendship and bravery to coincide with the story . There are some moments I found a little too childish, but that's understandable given the film's general child-friendly demographic. The young actors weren't that convincing through certain parts of the film. But, again, it's understandable given their age and lack of real acting experience. 3/4 stars. Expand
  52. Sep 23, 2011
    Director Chris Columbus has created "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" a dazzling movie that stays true to its book and adding itself with pure zeal and passion with impressive visuals.
  53. Sep 18, 2011
    The first in the highly lucrative wizard franchise is heavy on magic, low on character. The visuals are pretty dreadful, too. Still, it's a fun introduction to the Harry Potter mythology and boasts some great performances by the supporting cast.
  54. Aug 9, 2011
    Even though this movie was eventually topped by almost all of the following films in the series, it is a modern classic and a very satisfying first chapter. There are also some stand-out adult performances that elevate this movie (Alan Rickman)
  55. CRL
    Jul 27, 2011
    This was where one of the highest grossing and most critically acclaimed series began, with a somewhat humble adaptation of J.K. Rowling's bestseller. These actors back then were completely unknown, and though they weren't at the level they are now, they were still good enough for a movie that depended on a wonderful and well-represented story as well as some of the best directing of the series.
  56. Jul 24, 2011
    SO The HP saga begins with the sorcerer stone. I started writing the reviews after the last movie come out so i really understand the all the films. So where i began the first movie was a good movie where you saw that harry has magical powers and begins on hogwarts the school for wizardy. It was a spectacular movie with good specialeffects and good acting especially for the litle harry. But there a few minors in the first movie that was later be solved by other directors, professor dumbledore is much better in the next films than in the firts 2 and the old look at hogwarts does not fit in the movie, further is was a thrill and it was a good firts harry potter but not the best. so i give it an 7 Expand
  57. Jul 20, 2011
    A charming, sweet and colourful film. The acting among the young is iffy, and the effects are rather poor, but the emotion and the very faithful plot quickly pull you in. The sets are one of the key delights of this film. Everything is beautifully decorated and lavishly coloured to make it absolutely awe-inspiring. Together with the rich cinematography, it really brings the magic to life. The music also adds to the magic and the wonder, and follows the emotion closely. This can make it slightly boring, as there is nothing really converse about how it flows, but it adds something really satisfying and real to the film. Expand
  58. Jul 12, 2011
    It is a fantastical achievement. It introduces us to a richly detailed world with great characters and above all a good story. It doesn't particularly flow at times and Chris Columbus seems a bit stale with the camera but the actors, sets and John William's score more than make up for it. Dan, Rupert and Emma are perfectly cast and all the other older british actors give Hogwarts a rich atmosphere. The story provided by JK Rowling is really strong so the filmmakers were wise in following it closely. In the end, Chris Columbus deserves much credit for starting off the series on the right foot. I saw this when I was 14 and it just resonated with me on a very personal level. It's a classic. Expand
  59. Jul 11, 2011
    I first saw this film when I was around 4 when it was released on DVD and I loved it when I first saw it! Ten years later, this film is still the most faithful to the book unlike the others. Seeing the actors playing the trio at such a young age is still a delight to see as they grow up. The visuals are fantastic and it certainly gets you introduced to the world of Harry Potter. Not the best Harry Potter film, but is a great film. Expand
  60. Jul 5, 2011
    An 11-year old boy named Harry Potter discovers that he's a wizard and receives an invitation to a magical school called Hogwarts. Along the way, he meets two friends named Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger as they spend their natural lives at the school, but little do they know that an evil sorcerer plots to steal the magic stone known as The Sorcerer's Stone and they must find it and solve the mystery about the death of Harry's parents.

Wow. I was very speechless when I first saw this movie in theaters as a little child. To tell the truth, I've never read the book in which this movie was based on, but when I read it, the chapters showed the same thing that were included in the movie and I think it followed the book quite well.

What else can you say about it? The actors were very entertaining and had a lot of talent with their performances since they look like the same characters from the book. Daniel Radcliffe did very well as the main character (god bless him) and I can't say anything else about the rest of the actors because they did great as well as him.

The storyline was well-paced and the John Williams music score was very memorable and had a lot of emotion to it.

The CGI effects were great and the fantasy action was very good.

There's nothing negative to say about this movie and that's it.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a faithful adaptation of the book with excellent performances, great settings, and a well-paced storyline. Thumbs up from me.

61. Jul 3, 2011
    Innovative special effects and picture perfect child acting. I am proud to say that this film is the greatest children's movie of all-times. Don't believe me? Watch the film and see if you don't enjoy it. Few films can take a children's novel and make it a serious contender for greatness but Chris Columbus does it and does it well!!!
  62. Jun 18, 2011
    In retrospect, this film is a lot better then when you first see it. Although the acting, primarily on the stars is not so great, the movie itself still manages to be pretty good. This may be due to the fantastic performances of the supporting cast that includes Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, and Richard Harris, or it may be due to the brilliant score by John Williams that has become somewhat the classical theme of a generation. The direction may not be as visually impressive as later installments, but Columbus still does a good job of bringing wonder to Hogwarts. The changes from the book, although few, are still apparent to a fan of the series, and are not that much a distraction. Absolutely for Potter fans, and possibly for everyone else, Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone is a great movie that launches the magical franchise. Expand
  63. May 29, 2011
    The lack of discernment between the boundaries by literature and the cinema compromises part of the movie, which seems oddly limited and unimaginative in a universe that is just the opposite. Chris Columbus, with a monstrous technical department, prepares the magical world beautifully, however fills the air. The scenes seem a succession of sketches made strategically to put the narrative in motion, without any soul or your driving style. The soundtrack by John Williams, however, besides having a theme already unforgettable simply creates beside the photograph the whole mood and atmosphere of Hogwarts. As a product, is a beautiful film and well done, but it suffers from the absence of a different taste and own something that is only acquired later along the saga goes on. Expand
  64. Apr 5, 2011
    A great entry to the world of Harry Potter. The beginning of it all. I believe this is probably the best of it's lot because of the way it introduces all these things. Quidditch, Broomsticks, withes and wizards like you've never imagined. J.K rowling has definitley got alot of inspiration from fairy tales and stories of witches and magic but revamps it like no one has ever seen. It's one of the most original film series since Star Wars. I guess the story I don't really need to talk about because i'm sure most of you out there have heard of Harry Potter. Basically Harry is 'the boy that lived' from a dark evil wizard by the name of Voldemort when he was just an infant. Dumbeldore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, Hagrid and the other teachers of Hogwarts leave him off at his closest relatives, his uncle an aunt. At the age of 11 Harry is revisited by Hagrid and is taken to Hogwarts. this is where he learns all about wizardry and why he is their. It's a fnatastic story and a pretty touching story. Harry grew up with his uncle and aunt who are extremely mean to him along with his cousin, Dudley who is the selfish spoilt little brat. All three of them are characters you love to hate. As much as they are extremely mean people it's enjoyable to see them be so pompus and narcistic at times. Most of the characters in the story are brilliant. It makes this world very believable and reels you in.Hagrid i'd like to start with. He is a brilliant character at about the height of 7 foot. As much as he looks monstrous he's actually a gentle heartfelt man who can cook and do gardening. The relation he has with Harry, Ron and Hermione is great. He looks like such a good friend. Ron weasley, a friend Harry meets on the train to Hogwarts. He's silly at times and things sometimes don't work out for him. Hermione is a school addict who knows plenty about spells and potions. Harry is played wonderfully by Daniel Radcliffe and it's easy to see how he got the role. All the characters of the story seem fit for the film. The way they look, the way the talk has a magnificent style. That's what the Harry Potter films have. Alot of style. They are very distinct from other films. How many films involve stories as deep as this along with mythical creatures, Witched, Spells and thousand year old castles. As the first of the Harry Potter films this is a wonderful entry and if you haven't watched ANY of the Harry Potter films then it's worth starting with this one. Expand
  65. Mar 4, 2011
    Not the best of the Harry Potter movies (needed to be closer to the books). Nevertheless, the movie was a great introduction to a ten year long franchise.
  66. Feb 19, 2011
    One of the best movies in the series, it has humor, and action, and an enjoyable plot, and extremely charming characters, a movie I would recommend seeing.
  67. Dec 2, 2010
    It's hard to believe such a marvel could all take place in the vicinity of an enchanted school. The mind-blowing visuals and set pieces will leave you breathless; the magical moments are truly endless in Potter's debut film.
  68. Nov 22, 2010
    The first installment of a great intriguing series from J.K. Rowling, becomes to be a dark and addictive fantasy film that makes you like Harry Potter. He finds out he is a wizard, and asks to stray from his evil step-parents to attend the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. More secrets about his close evil relationship with Lord Voldemort unveil and he cannot wait to meet him. The film in general was well directed, but the film lacks a sense of greatness. Despite it's PG rating, it has several instances of dark sequences of action that might frighten small children. The film's maturity should appeal to anyone who has read the book, but the instensity of the film could be more intense, but with a young cast and a PG rating, the direction and tone of the film is mild. Expand
  69. Aug 16, 2010
    I have to say that I did not enjoy this film very much when I first saw it, but after multiple viewings, I have grown very fond of it. The magic is really in the air when you watch this movie, as Columbus visualizes Hogwarts so brilliantly and faithfully to the book. The performances are not the best obviously (they're just kids) but they're good enough. Rickman makes a terrific Snape, but I wish the characters were a bit deeper in the movie, as they were in the book. Still, one of the best of the series. Expand

Potter-philes are sure to get what they want -- if what they want is, in fact, an exacting version of J.K. Rowling's charming children's fantasy. If it's enchantment they are after, that's quite another matter.
  2. If the movie doesn't ultimately transport us to places The Wizard of Oz once took us, that may be partly because "The Sorcerer's Stone" is just the first chapter, with more magic waiting to be parceled out in the coming years.
  3. That sense of déjà vu is at once this Harry Potter's balm and its limitation: many charms, but few surprises.