6.3

1. Feb 6, 2011
    Emperor's new clothes. According to the other reviews here, this film was over 2 hours long. It felt like twice that. Pretentious, vacuous and pseudo-intellectual. If you don't care about the characters, then, by extension, you won't care about whatever they are metaphors for. So what's the point?
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sort of a spoiler. At 10:09, while we are looking at a surveillance shot pf the house, we see a full camera shadow as the husband drives by in his car. Normally just a minor technical flaw, in the context of this movie, about "hidden" cameras watching the family, this really blows up the whole premise of the movie for me. And yes, it is the camera shadow. The first assistant left the dumb side follow focus knob on; you can see its shadow just below the matte box.

I don't think anyone has ever pointed this out before; I saw this flaw six years ago, and I'm claiming it now!
  3. Feb 13, 2012
    In all fairness, I ejected this film after the chicken slaughter scene. I know that was an integral and symbolic scene but the senseless torture of animals for a movie is unacceptable and I have no respect for a director who condones such acts. I can't believe there isn't more uproar in the reviews about this particular. Also, the premise has a major flaw. If someone is stalking youIn all fairness, I ejected this film after the chicken slaughter scene. I know that was an integral and symbolic scene but the senseless torture of animals for a movie is unacceptable and I have no respect for a director who condones such acts. I can't believe there isn't more uproar in the reviews about this particular. Also, the premise has a major flaw. If someone is stalking you with surveillance video and footage of familiar (childhood) locations and then leaving these tapes at your doorstep, why not set up a video camera yourself to see who is doing this? Expand

1. This brilliant if unpleasant puzzle without a solution about surveillance and various kinds of denial finds writer-director Michael Haneke near the top of his game, though it's not a game everyone will want to play.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    This brilliantly disturbing movie is constructed with surgical precision. Haneke lets no one off the hook least of all the viewer.
  3. Haneke echoes the theme of Hitchcock's "Rear Window": Moviemaking is basically an act of voyeurism. We secretly examine people's lives in every movie. But in this one, there is a hidden camera, a movie within the movie as it were, forcing us to observe a character along side a mysterious stranger.