Hidden

6.5

1. Nov 17, 2010
    Beautiful film. Long, silent shots set a perfect tone and built the tension for the more shocking and passionate scenes. Best of 2005 and one of the best of the decade.
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    Michael Haneke's "Cache" is absolutely flooring - in the long span of cinematic "mystery," it has been since the days of Hitchcock that a film has reveled so much in the very aura that its own genre demands.
  3. SimonT.
    Jun 18, 2009
    First class motion. It glides, fantastic space. Thought the direction was wonderful, fully enjoyed this little gem of a flick.
  4. StanS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    My take is that Majiid's son set up the surveillance probably without his father's knowledge. The long shot towards the end of young Majiid being forcibly taken from the Laurent home iis extremely sad.
  5. ShaseH.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Very original story, with a realistic style and interesting cinematography.
  6. BenK.
    Jan 30, 2006
    A film more about the viewer than what appears onscreen. We must know, we demand to know what it all means but the are no satisfying answers.
  7. JeffK
    Jan 4, 2006
    Cache is not up to the standard Haneke set with Code Unknown, but he comes close. Why do Americans filmgoers always require an easy resolution at film's end? In Cache, it's simply not possible to do so, or if Haneke did he would ruin all that came before. It's anything but smug to leave the film unresolved. That's pretty much how life is, no? This is a strongly felt, Cache is not up to the standard Haneke set with Code Unknown, but he comes close. Why do Americans filmgoers always require an easy resolution at film's end? In Cache, it's simply not possible to do so, or if Haneke did he would ruin all that came before. It's anything but smug to leave the film unresolved. That's pretty much how life is, no? This is a strongly felt, coolly observed film about the consequences of colonialism, the reality of our true identities, the nature of relationships (between husband/wife, father/son, native/foreigner). I believe it will hold up to repeated viewing, and, I must disagree with ken s. - the opening credits are perfect in setting the very unsettling tone that Haneke skillfully maintains throughout. Another worthy film by an increasingly mature, bold and incisive filmmaker. Expand
  8. LaurenceM.
    Mar 3, 2006
    Maybe it's only surprising to me because I don't read many film reviews, but I'm disappointed by how much the professional critics seem to have missed in this film. One of the themes of this film is that the meaning of events or of the characters' lives is often "hidden" in plain sight, played out in the margins of what otherwise seem like long, boring, straight shots. Maybe it's only surprising to me because I don't read many film reviews, but I'm disappointed by how much the professional critics seem to have missed in this film. One of the themes of this film is that the meaning of events or of the characters' lives is often "hidden" in plain sight, played out in the margins of what otherwise seem like long, boring, straight shots. This film, with its restrained direction and unresolved mysteries, is a great antidote to hollywood movies. Expand
  9. S.Fondue
    May 6, 2006
    Hmmmm.... I liked the slow pace of the film, a nice change from the usually Hollywood fare. Lots of people probably got bored by the slow scenes but I found it quite hypnotic and I enjoy slow-paced films generally, I'm used to Jim Jarmusch and stuff like that so it's no big deal for me to wait a while for a scene to unfold. I can wait. The violence was great, one scene had the Hmmmm.... I liked the slow pace of the film, a nice change from the usually Hollywood fare. Lots of people probably got bored by the slow scenes but I found it quite hypnotic and I enjoy slow-paced films generally, I'm used to Jim Jarmusch and stuff like that so it's no big deal for me to wait a while for a scene to unfold. I can wait. The violence was great, one scene had the whole theater in audible shock. Yay for violence in films. Acting was excellent all-round, Juliete Binoche in particular was amazing. Some annoying things though: I don't need a film to tell me that racism is bad, and that white people in Europe have done bad stuff to minorities. I already knew all that stuff. Believe it or not. So when the film started getting 'political' I felt a bit cheated because I was expecting a more traditional thriller. I guess the director's trying to subvert our expectations, which is all very well and good, but I can't pretend to be thrilled by biting into an apple and tasting a pear if I don't like pears. Plus - when the ending came I missed what it was I was supposed to be looking at because there's so much detail in the scene, it's hard to know where to look. I mean, yay for not spoonfeeding us Mr. Haneke, but I wish I had the freedom of the actors in the film did to 'rewind' things so I could rewind that last scene and play it again.... I'd go see it a second time just to see that bit but it costs money to go to the cinema... at least for me... fortunately enough people posted spoilers in this website thingy here so I kinda know what I missed now.... but I still would've liked to have seen it with my own eyes... I guess there's a certain irony in a bunch of rich people whining about how they didn't understand a movie when people in other parts of the world have real problems, and that's probably part of what the director's point is. Okay, so you didn't understand the film, not a big deal really. You could be in some foreign country getting blown up or something, hey, so be happy that you're in a westernised country and you have the internet and you can read this text right now and some soldier isn't trying to shoot your feet off. The key scene in the filmat least in my opinion is not the ending, but the bit in the middle where the two parents think their kid is missing and they're... doing something or other on some room, I can't remember, and in the background the TV is showing images of the Middle East and all the violence over there. And that's exactly what the world's problems are to the two main characters - background. They don't even notice the TV. It was at that point where I understood the true aims of the movie. And then I started to feel a bit cheated because if I knew it had a political subtext I wouldn't have bothered going.... Smug, maybe. I guess the director's using smugness to wake us up to our own smugness. But I already knew I was smug before this movie came along, it's telling me nothing new. But I tell you what, during that aforementioned scene I was mesmerised by the TV and didn't even pay attention to the main characters. I'm fascinated by people in other countries getting shot at, I find it very scary. I'm lucky to live where I do. Maybe I'm not so smug after all... This film is good, you should see it. And if you didn't like it, well... the film probably doesn't like you, either. I can see why the critics liked it while the public remain very polarised about it. You're not really supposed to 'enjoy' this film, just like you're not supposed to enjoy getting beaten up by some guy down at the pub, but if you think carefully about why you got beaten up, you might learn something. "Hidden" (Cache) isn't a film for everyone, but it makes you think, (especially after the film is over) and in a world of chumps, that can't be all bad. Unless you don't like thinking. And we all like thinking, don't we? Expand
  10. Ridley666
    Oct 10, 2007
    I find it interesting that Michael Haneke's "Cache (Hidden)" won the Best Director award for Haneke at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival and that it received an 83/100 on Metacritic, putting it in the category of "UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM" and that it received an 88% out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes with only 15 out of 121 reviews rating it "rotten." Surely the awards and the opinions of the I find it interesting that Michael Haneke's "Cache (Hidden)" won the Best Director award for Haneke at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival and that it received an 83/100 on Metacritic, putting it in the category of "UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM" and that it received an 88% out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes with only 15 out of 121 reviews rating it "rotten." Surely the awards and the opinions of the handpicked jury members of the Cannes Film Festival and all the opinions of the countless credible and legitimate scholars of film crumble in the face of Dustin C's and fjuan n's and Maz D's towering infallible authority. These three erudite individuals clearly have something to teach all those countless lowly credible and legitimate scholars of film. In fact, Dustin C, fjuan n, and Maz D should each teach a course titled "How to Understand and Decipher Complex and Sophisticated Meditations on Bourgeois Discontent and Alienation, Racial and Class Privilege, and the Importance of Boundary Transgression Narratives" at Harvard. They clearly know so much about these subjects. Or maybe they should just keep their infantile mouth shut. Expand
  11. JohnM.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Caché is an breathtaking, exhilarating film, with the most deliciously ambiguous ending since Before Sunset (though I may even prefer the way this film ends over that one). This was, at least for me, the best film of 2005. I haven't left the theater so infused with a sense of giddiness (and unease?!) since I walked out of Mulholland Drive over four years ago.
  12. KevinS
    Oct 18, 2006
    Best movie of the year (I know that is not saying much this year). Terrifying, creepy, torturous to watch but absolutely brilliant and thought provoking.
  13. Maryam
    Jan 25, 2006
    An incredible film - Haneke deserves to be up there with those few directors who make consistently excellent films about difficult issues.
  14. ElliottM.
    Jan 27, 2006
    This movie is simply outstanding. The grip Haneke maintains on his audience is very tight and the movie builds to a level of unbearable tension... Also, it's a little peculiar that the metascore dropped 3 points from one negative review out of SF.
  15. Cindy
    Jan 30, 2006
    Great film...very French in that the ending is ambiguous. The first movie I've been to in long time where I didn't hear anyone talking during the film and you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre. Some shockingly violent scenes (one made the whole theatre gasp). Good acting, good directing, good movie.
  16. PhilM.
    Jan 30, 2006
    A refreshing breath of French Air. A view of French racism that in these Post-Katrina days we can see is different from and even more unconcious than our own.
  17. HollisH.
    Jan 9, 2006
    Wonderful movie!
  18. Squish
    Feb 10, 2006
    It's a truly great movie with many open ended questions. I never considered it a "thriller" and find the repetition of this term in many of the film's slatings, indicative of it's crirtics' attitudes to films as a whole.
  19. DavidA.
    Feb 18, 2006
    [***SPOILER***] The film was riveting. But questions remain: why such a violent action (suicide) to rupture the life of Georges and his family when just the existence of the videos would have been sufficient??? What does the meeting of the two sons at the final credits portend???
  20. DaveS.
    Mar 10, 2006
    This movie plays directly on the emotions, and will stick with you long after you leave the theatre. American movies, even the good ones, generally feel the need to resolve everything. With Cache the pleasure is in the mystery -- those who appreciate it will leave the theatre looking over their shoulders.
  21. GavinM.
    Mar 10, 2006
    This is only a "thriller" in the sense that the filmaker, through the filmaking technique, creates a sense of total disorientation. We are never sure if what we are watching is real or filmed, and as the film develops, and introduces scenes of shock into the sedate pacing, we begin to fear the jolt of violence. It is also only a "political" movie in terms of an allegory of public This is only a "thriller" in the sense that the filmaker, through the filmaking technique, creates a sense of total disorientation. We are never sure if what we are watching is real or filmed, and as the film develops, and introduces scenes of shock into the sedate pacing, we begin to fear the jolt of violence. It is also only a "political" movie in terms of an allegory of public (elected) figures, hiding their complicity in the creation of "terror" - even from their own "people" - hoping that it will go away. (Compare that with the simple documentary, self-inflicted bloodyness of the "oppressed" character in a desperate scene implying a futile "cry for help"/"wake up call".) With the aftermath of this pivotal scene, it could be argued that there is even the (politicized) hint that George (W?) perhaps did not witness a "suicide" but was more proactive in exacting revenge - under the guise of protecting his family - and continues to protect his family by keeping the truth hidden. [One wonders if this incident was also secretly taped....] I agree with many of the negative reviews, that the critics perhaps built this movie up to be more gripping than the average viewer would agree. Its more helpful to depict it as a very adult subject which is filmed in a very cold, adult way. And the thrill in watching it involves the viewer slowing themselves to the pace of the movie, and allowing themselves to merely watch it, coldly, from a distance, much like a voyeur, and leave the intellectualizing and second-guessing for your own subconscious to evaluate at a later date. Expand
  22. FrankO.
    Mar 24, 2006
    I enjoyed this movie but its slow pace wore on me; overrated by the critics, I enjoyed the lead characters of Binoche and Auteuil. Only those viewers who enjoy french flicks should watch this.
  23. paulh.
    May 9, 2006
    Ranks alongside the most important movies of this century so far by a director who is pushing his theories & techniques like a knife straight into the gut of those who fear depth liking all to be surface & superficial.Will be remembered for many years to come-an examination of European culture/history & sensibilities as it stands today:throws up more questions as it answers-as it was Ranks alongside the most important movies of this century so far by a director who is pushing his theories & techniques like a knife straight into the gut of those who fear depth liking all to be surface & superficial.Will be remembered for many years to come-an examination of European culture/history & sensibilities as it stands today:throws up more questions as it answers-as it was intended to do and bursts the bubbles of those who think theyre clever.look at this movie with both eyes open.The perforances are up there with the best i've ever seen as well-you basically forget they are 'acting'. Especially for those who take cinema seriously. Expand
  24. PeterT.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks to all the former commenters and I don't have a lot more to add you'll be pleased to know. The film had a great atmosphere of mystery and foreboding although the guilt theme seemed a little obvious. However perhaps its about France's guilt about the little problems they've been having recently with their Maghrebian citizens. I liked the way we never quite knew Thanks to all the former commenters and I don't have a lot more to add you'll be pleased to know. The film had a great atmosphere of mystery and foreboding although the guilt theme seemed a little obvious. However perhaps its about France's guilt about the little problems they've been having recently with their Maghrebian citizens. I liked the way we never quite knew whether what we were experiencing as real life would turn out simply to be part of a narrative by an omniscient author, presenting our life on video - even though it's also yet another example of a film director casting himself as God! The acting was satisfyingly understated, not Hollywood hysterics. Get it out on video - before someone leaves it on your doorstep. Expand
  25. JoeC.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Too bad this movie was marketed as some sort of murder mystery, for the mystery is merely a device to get you to look at what is hidden. If you approach the movie this way (without expecting a decisive Hollywood ending), you'll be in for a real treat. Wonderful, wonderful stuff here.
  26. JasonL.
    Jul 5, 2006
    This film restored my faith in intelligent and artistic movie-making. For those of you complaining that it was "boring" or "had no ending," perhaps something starring Jennifer Aniston would be more your speed.
  27. DavidS.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Unfortunately this film left me feeling slightly intellectually inadequate. I have been forced to search for reviews and editorial just to make sure I did actually understand what the film was saying and if indeed I should have stayed in the cinema for a final scene after the credits had rolled. It would seem all but the egotistical pseudo-highbrow
  28. MarkB.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Top notch. Not hollywood, which seems to offend people on this sight but you americans don't live in the real world which gives credit to those of you who can look outside with an open mind.
  29. JohnW.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Complex, fascinating film--worth repeated viewings.
  30. NickM.
    Aug 2, 2006
    Mick LaSalle has it all wrong. Cache is the furthest movie from a fraud that I have seen in several years. The movie has not been affected by either politics or poltics: simply, this movie is a masterpiece.
  31. GWG
    Dec 27, 2005
    Great Movie! Not for those who don't like Austrian/French films though.
  32. AaronS.
    Jan 14, 2006
    Haneke's best film yet. An absolutely spellbinding thriller that masterfully combines the personal with the political. Binoche and especially Auteuil are wonderful as the intellectual couple at the center of the film. Engimatic, provocative and chilling. Pay really close attention to the last shot of the film, it points the whole movie to an entirely different direction depending on Haneke's best film yet. An absolutely spellbinding thriller that masterfully combines the personal with the political. Binoche and especially Auteuil are wonderful as the intellectual couple at the center of the film. Engimatic, provocative and chilling. Pay really close attention to the last shot of the film, it points the whole movie to an entirely different direction depending on your interpretation. Excellent film. Expand
  33. GeorgeM.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Outstanding study in film technique with a (not so) open ended story. The cliffhanger is a doozy and the violence is unexpected and powerful. It is not a movie for the casual thriller fan seeking a creaking door mystery and requires a good deal of patience. It will be rewarded.
  34. HoldenC.
    Nov 8, 2006
    A lot of people seemingly aren't seeing the big picture, and that's fine. They should be applauded for seeing a subtitled film in the first place. Unfortunately, some of their reactions suggest it'll be their last. Loved the film. Talked about it for hours afterward. Got the metaphor. Worked well. Don't believe the reviewers here who state you need to know Modern A lot of people seemingly aren't seeing the big picture, and that's fine. They should be applauded for seeing a subtitled film in the first place. Unfortunately, some of their reactions suggest it'll be their last. Loved the film. Talked about it for hours afterward. Got the metaphor. Worked well. Don't believe the reviewers here who state you need to know Modern French history to understand the allergory. It works with any history. Us Australians and our Aboriginals. You Americans and your Natives. Same idea. Not identical, of course, but a whole lot of wrong done by our ancestors that's not been addressed yet, by this generation or anyone... Two major problems with this film. 1. I didn't care about any of the characters. Big mistake. If I don't have anyone to like, then why am I watching it? I don't watch reality TV for the same reason. They're all idiots. I don't want to watch idiots. Here, the best we have is the wife, played excellently by Juilette Binoche, but mostly for her I felt pity. But that's small potatoes compared to the next point. The main point. 2.It's marketed as a mystery. And when you watch the first act, you're watching a mystery. And people, when you get into the 2nd act, it's still a mystery. However when you settle into the final third it seems the director changed his mind and went, 'Yeah, that whole mystery thing is less interesting than this big drama thing I got going on." And thus there is zero resolution to the mystery. Now, I don't mind open ended films. Love them in fact. Mullholland Drive was amazing. Left the theatre not knowing what the hell just happened, but knew I loved it. BUT, we were given enough clues to work it out later, which I did, it took five straight hours of discussion, but I got it. Point is, you're given the clues. It's not tied up into a pretty bow, but if you're into it enough, you can figure it out. In this, you're given squat. Remember, I'm talking about the mystery of who is leaving the tapes, not the whole "What the film is really about" thing. (Yes, I saw the two kids talking in the final shot, very clever.) You are not given clues as to who is leaving the tapes. In the end, the tapes don't matter. Ah, the tapes were a Macguffin. They were a catalyst for the drama, not important really at all. THEN WHY IS IT A MYSTERY?! Folks, if you write a mystery, you've gotta give the audience something. At the end of this film I felt very unsatisfied. Like I'd listened to a joke but never got told the punch-line. And if the punchline wasn't important, then it shouldn't be called a joke, rather, 'a descriptive story.' This goes further back than films can reach. This goes back to storytelling. There are many unwritten rules that a story teller must remember when spinning a yarn. Hanke has broken two of them with this film. However, all that being said, I was AFFECTED by the film, and I love it when that happens. Expand
  35. BillV.
    Dec 26, 2006
    This is a great movie. The tension is wonderfully measured and the story is good. It does kind of plogd along now and then and there was on plot hole. Other then those two items, I found this movie very entertaining. The non-resolution to the tapes and pictures is good because the movie isn't about the tapes and pictures per se. It is about what the tapes and drawing do to the people This is a great movie. The tension is wonderfully measured and the story is good. It does kind of plogd along now and then and there was on plot hole. Other then those two items, I found this movie very entertaining. The non-resolution to the tapes and pictures is good because the movie isn't about the tapes and pictures per se. It is about what the tapes and drawing do to the people involved. Expand
  36. Sheila
    Jan 26, 2006
    I couldn't take my eyes off the screen--even during my third viewing of the film.
  37. AndreaD.
    Jan 31, 2006
    Great film. Weaves the personal and the political into a seamless whole - and the past and the present (including the US invasion of Iraq).
  38. ClaudeC.
    Feb 22, 2006
    This was , by far, one of the best films I have ever seen. It not only had me spellbound but it made me think for days to follow. It isn't about who filmed or who didn't film the family's home but much more about the GUILT felt (or that SHOULD be felt) for the mistreatment of Algerians. The man felt guilt and whether or not this was ALL in his head, the guilt was real. I This was , by far, one of the best films I have ever seen. It not only had me spellbound but it made me think for days to follow. It isn't about who filmed or who didn't film the family's home but much more about the GUILT felt (or that SHOULD be felt) for the mistreatment of Algerians. The man felt guilt and whether or not this was ALL in his head, the guilt was real. I think Americans, overall, aren't intelligent enough to understand the racism in it or the sophistication it requires to "get" it! If you want a film you can understand then I suggest you see a Disney movie or watch the umpteens of bad sitcoms on today's television sets. But don't come in here and rate a movie for which you weren't armed/equipped to understand. But then again: typical American reaction and display of stupidity and foolishness. Expand
  39. Drew
    Feb 24, 2006
    The interesting thing to me about the "user" reviews for this movie is how polarized they are, and how reminiscent that is of the current political climate in America. It can't be coincidence. I know that people often call movies "critical darlings" and say that they aren't amde with "normal people" in mind, but I feel this conflict is more about people having opposing mindsets, The interesting thing to me about the "user" reviews for this movie is how polarized they are, and how reminiscent that is of the current political climate in America. It can't be coincidence. I know that people often call movies "critical darlings" and say that they aren't amde with "normal people" in mind, but I feel this conflict is more about people having opposing mindsets, and that a certain mindset will mostly enjoy this movie and be patient with it, and another mostly will not. Anyway, I am in the camp that enjoyed it...its vagueness, its deliberate pacing, its allegory, its lack of sympathetic characters. I felt like someone had put itching powder on me for two hours watching it, and that is an accomplishment in itself. Maybe you have to suspend disbelief a bit to enjoy the movie, but what the hell...is that so bad? Movies can be of all sorts of different natures, and one like this is not bad because it is a departure from formula. I loved the stretches of inactivity, because it was an opportunity to THINK...like real life gives. No music...how cool. Heavy handed? Not really...there weren't repeated images of the Algerian conflict thrown around. Most was left for you to fill in. The issue was with how the people were. Someone once said that creating something that all people feel strongly about, whether good or bad, is great art. In the case of "Cache", I have to agree. Expand
  40. H.CarltonE.
    Feb 8, 2006
    I haven't read every review, but many viewers seem puzzled and disappointed that the identity of the mysterious video-maker is never revealed. It seemed quite obvious to me that the person who made the videos is Michael Haneke. It is literally true, of course, but it also makes perfect sense in the film, which is one of those interesting movies coming out of Europe ("Reconstruction" I haven't read every review, but many viewers seem puzzled and disappointed that the identity of the mysterious video-maker is never revealed. It seemed quite obvious to me that the person who made the videos is Michael Haneke. It is literally true, of course, but it also makes perfect sense in the film, which is one of those interesting movies coming out of Europe ("Reconstruction" is another) in which the film-maker, with his own agenda, effects the "lives" of the characters. Expand
  41. MartinS.
    Aug 27, 2006
    I found the story intriguing it was just the telling that I found incredibly dry. I never thought I'd say this but an American remake would probably be a much better movie.
  42. JoeAverage
    Sep 22, 2006
    I have to be one of those that really like this film (funny, how polarizing it is, isn't it?) I admit to only possessing a hodge-podge understanding of French colonialism of Algeria and the immigrant Algerian-French community, but a well crafted take on universal themes of 'responsibility', 'guilty', 'heredity' and other Big Ideas. Wonderfully portrayed. I have to be one of those that really like this film (funny, how polarizing it is, isn't it?) I admit to only possessing a hodge-podge understanding of French colonialism of Algeria and the immigrant Algerian-French community, but a well crafted take on universal themes of 'responsibility', 'guilty', 'heredity' and other Big Ideas. Wonderfully portrayed. Had I known and seen it in the theatre, I would have missed the rich abundance of visual cues (not to mention the ending!). Hurrah for DVDs. Expand
  43. TedB.
    Sep 25, 2006
    Fascinating; keeps one on the edge of their seat with a substantial aftertaste; thought provoking.
  44. JosephL.
    Nov 1, 2007
    This movie goes far beyond entertainment alone. Its powerful shots at critical points of the film tie everything together and force the audience to ponder about the motives which might have driven the characters to act the way they did. Great movie.
  45. ManiM.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Absolutely thought provoking. the issues that this film brought up are essentially what you will end up thinking about for days and the question of who was behind the tapes will become irrelevant.
  46. AvaB.
    Aug 20, 2007
    That Cache plods along for nearly three hours reflects the dread that an excellent film with an existentialist theme requires. In his complex role as Georges, Daniel Auteuil -- in his magnificently understated manner -- becomes a postmodern Raskolnikov. (Without giving away the surprising ending scenes, all I will say is: Those reviewers who really believe that Georges did not accept That Cache plods along for nearly three hours reflects the dread that an excellent film with an existentialist theme requires. In his complex role as Georges, Daniel Auteuil -- in his magnificently understated manner -- becomes a postmodern Raskolnikov. (Without giving away the surprising ending scenes, all I will say is: Those reviewers who really believe that Georges did not accept personal responsibility were not paying attention to one of those ending scenes.) Like Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, there's a political subtext to Cache. Unlike Dostoyevsky's classic, Cache is a morality tale that unfolds to bone-tingling effect before an omnipresent, metaphysical hidden camera. Expand
  47. sarahsarah
    Jun 15, 2009
    Don't everyone forget the metaphor for french/algerian relations - ie the parents were going to care for Majid like a child but then rejected him to suffer, also the younger generation is fed up with the world their parents made for them and are willing to work together even against their own parents.
  48. BrendanM
    Dec 15, 2005
    Very good, and very French.
  49. D.J.Kyosti
    Dec 28, 2005
    David F. should probably stick to films like TITANIC and KING KING so that he doesn't have to think too much. CACHE is an incredible, audacious film that is as beautiful to watch as its subject is difficult. This film concerns issues that are perhaps not so hidden following the recent Paris riots, and in our own country, Hurricane Katrina. And even if you don't know who made David F. should probably stick to films like TITANIC and KING KING so that he doesn't have to think too much. CACHE is an incredible, audacious film that is as beautiful to watch as its subject is difficult. This film concerns issues that are perhaps not so hidden following the recent Paris riots, and in our own country, Hurricane Katrina. And even if you don't know who made those videos -- and does it even matter? -- it is still a nice little suspsense story. Expand
  50. Chris
    Jan 14, 2006
    It's sad to see such negative reviews for a wonderful film. I question what it is these viewers are missing. Most notably, I feel they lack any sense of patience, and are more tuned in to the fast-cut (albeit formulaic) mold that hollywood and its parade of product placing sequels have to offer. Yes, it is french. Yes, it is surprisingly violent (including the slaughter of a live It's sad to see such negative reviews for a wonderful film. I question what it is these viewers are missing. Most notably, I feel they lack any sense of patience, and are more tuned in to the fast-cut (albeit formulaic) mold that hollywood and its parade of product placing sequels have to offer. Yes, it is french. Yes, it is surprisingly violent (including the slaughter of a live animal. And yes, it is slow. But all of these are well earned. Come on viewers, did we not feel the same for Oldboy regarding animal cruelty--it worked...or maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd here. Sadly, to discuss the longevity of shots ruins one of the most dynamic tools of the movie. Let me just say the line between viewer and participant is drastically blurred by them. Finally, this is an allegory. The films is NOT about tapes. It is about the politics of a nation that currently faces racial conflicts so intense that they must be looked in on, viewed from a hidden camera where the reality of the situation can be seen in its raw form. Sure, this liberal message comes off heavy, but the pure tension, and potential optimism the final shot offers (If you don't notice what's happening in the shot you aren't paying attention) is inspiring. Not only on a political level, but as proof that intelligent film is still being made. Do yourself a favor and watch this stunning film. Don't be afraid to pay attention, and become engage. Sidenote: You might want to check up on your modern french history, especially the algerian conflict before viewing. Expand
  51. GaborA.
    Jan 24, 2006
    An experience. Cache is not some mind bogglig masterpiece but after it was over all i wanted to do was see it again. Also for every ambiguity and shortcoming theres an equally rock solid counterpart.
  52. Linda
    Jan 29, 2006
    Held my interest for 2 hours! And I want to see it again.
  53. EricJ.
    Feb 16, 2006
    A great film that REQUIRES THOUGHT. Unfortunately most people (including those on this site [Ed: take it easy, cowboy!]) are either too stupid or just plain lazy to put the effort into true art such as this film. Sorry, most films are the equivalent of a candy bar and some, like this one, are steaks...
  54. HermioneG.
    Feb 17, 2006
    A deeply engrossing discourse on racism. Chillingly prescient considering recent unrest in France. Those who try to connect the dots by trying to "work out" who the stalker is are asking the wrong questions. This film is richly metaporical and falling into the literal trap should be avoided. Lacanians will have a field day speculating on the impossible gaze of the other that haunts this A deeply engrossing discourse on racism. Chillingly prescient considering recent unrest in France. Those who try to connect the dots by trying to "work out" who the stalker is are asking the wrong questions. This film is richly metaporical and falling into the literal trap should be avoided. Lacanians will have a field day speculating on the impossible gaze of the other that haunts this truly beautiful film. Expand
  55. MikeD.
    Mar 18, 2006
    my wife and I went to see this film, and while we enjoyed it, felt left hanging at the end . . . way too ambiguous and disappointing.[***SPOILERS***] then we got home and thought about the significance of the two sons meeting in the final scene . . . and bang, we got it. Brilliant! A truly spectacular film that makes you use your brain!
  56. LindaL.
    Mar 31, 2006
    I'm equally dismayed by reviewers who (a) tried to make this all about racial politics or (b) somehow managed to miss the clue in the final scene. That said, to me the clue was far from an answer, and you won't love the movie if you prefer an understandable ending. However, it's engrossing, and Auteuil and Binoche are brilliant as always.
  57. hiddenisgreat
    Jul 29, 2006
    the washington post got it bang on. the movie ends perfectly, the final scene and it's 'revelation' (in the bottom left) are designed to provide potential answers and further questions. this works excellently as a film studying the domestic situation of the family being subjected to torment. it works best however as an allegory. brilliantly in fact. [***SPOILERS***] the the washington post got it bang on. the movie ends perfectly, the final scene and it's 'revelation' (in the bottom left) are designed to provide potential answers and further questions. this works excellently as a film studying the domestic situation of the family being subjected to torment. it works best however as an allegory. brilliantly in fact. [***SPOILERS***] the movie ends after the real answer has been given - laurent's crime. by ending here haneke suggests that he wants france to confront it's past regarding algeria and admit and come to terms with it. if the movie had continued to reveal what you expect haneke to reveal it's intent would have been lost within standard mystery fare. the acting is also brilliant, and it is creepy and menacing at times. admittedly, to fully understand and appreciate the film i had to do a little research, but this doesn't detract from it at all. if i understood the france/algeria history prior to viewing the movie, i think i would have grasped it. if possible, read about this first before viewing. this is one of very few movies that i have been thinking about a lot since i watched it, this is definately a good thing. Expand
  58. BernardR.
    Feb 18, 2007
    People who rated this movie lower than 5 are just too dumb to watch such superior movie. I like the comment from someone here about Jeniffer Aniston. Those people who didn't get this movie might rate Aniston's movies as EXCELLENT.
  59. JohnO.
    Apr 15, 2007
    It toys with you for hours, perhaps days after its conclusion. Fantastic stuff!!
  60. EdP
    Jul 24, 2007
    I loved this movie. It keeps you thinking. You're on your toes the whole film.
  61. MichaelD.
    Dec 25, 2005
    This movie is such a breath of fresh air. An intelligent political thriller that doesn't pull its punches. It's thrilling to watch Binoche and Auteuil. Wow!
  62. Aug 3, 2013
    I found this one quite a compelling watch; albeit at a very slow pace. The way the drama is slowly drawn out is, I felt, quite hypnotic and it all added to the tension of the piece. All of the performances were excellent; particularly Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche; they portray the married couple who have hidden parts of their lives so perfectly. It’s all beautifully shot and getsI found this one quite a compelling watch; albeit at a very slow pace. The way the drama is slowly drawn out is, I felt, quite hypnotic and it all added to the tension of the piece. All of the performances were excellent; particularly Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche; they portray the married couple who have hidden parts of their lives so perfectly. It’s all beautifully shot and gets over the essence of French life very well (I speak from experience here having stayed there with a family, albeit very briefly). Yes, I guess I have to tell those that fear the subtitle that, yet again, I have chosen a film with the dreaded words at the bottom of the screen. That aside, I did enjoy this one up to a point. There are many many good things going on but it’s one of those that ends quite abruptly. This caught me off my guard and, I’m afraid, it left me feeling slightly disappointed (hence the slightly lower score that I might have given). I guess it’s definitely one the critics will indeed do) love and one that many a cinephille will also get a lot out of.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.4/10
  63. Jan 22, 2013
    A perplexing and unsettling masterpiece where solving the mystery is not necessary, but can be, to acknowledge it's complexity and genius. So many things are "hidden" here-the identity of the videographer, his or her motives, and perhaps most disconcertingly, Georges' part in psychological thriller. As soon as this quietly terrifying film starts, the unease slowly begins to fester.A perplexing and unsettling masterpiece where solving the mystery is not necessary, but can be, to acknowledge it's complexity and genius. So many things are "hidden" here-the identity of the videographer, his or her motives, and perhaps most disconcertingly, Georges' part in psychological thriller. As soon as this quietly terrifying film starts, the unease slowly begins to fester.
    Georges (Daniel Auteuil), who hosts a TV literary review, receives packages containing videos of himself with his family shot secretly from his street, and alarming drawings whose meaning is obscure. He has no idea who may be sending them. Gradually, the footage on the tapes becomes more personal, suggesting that the sender has known Georges for some time. Georges feels a sense of menace hanging over him and his family but, as no direct threat has been made. As more tapes arrive containing images that are disturbingly intimate and increasingly personal, Georges launches in to an investigation of his own as to who is behind this. As he does so, secrets from his past are revealed, he continues to conceal this to his family as the walls of security he and Anne (Juliette Binoche) have built around themselves begin to crumble. Haneke's shot selection plays with us. He is meticulous about the way in which the videotapes are photographed, and he replicates their style repeatedly throughout the movie (long-range, unbroken shots made by a camera that is stationary). There are sequences where the audience is watching ordinary daily events, only to discover it's continuously shot footage of surveillance tapes. "Caché" interrogates the nature of reality by obliterating the borders between the movie and the videos within the movie. Michael Haneke doesn't play by traditional thriller rules, leaving audiences to work out whodunnit from a clue discreetly buried in the final shot. Even if you don't spot it, you'll come away satisfied. Haneke refuses to decode the scene's meaning: "About half the viewers see something and the other half don't, and it works both ways." He adds, invoking his protagonist's own mental journey, "We always fill the screen with our own experiences. Ultimately, what we see comes from inside us."
  64. May 1, 2014
    In my not so humble opinion, Cache is the greatest mystery/thriller film ever made, and the finest of the 21st Century along with There Will Be Blood.
  65. Sep 3, 2015
    Michael Haneke is a true genius when it comes to directing films and Caché (Hidden) is another one of he's brilliance.

The story to Caché (Hidden) is about Daniel Auteuil character George, who hosts a TV literary review. Then suddenly he starts receiving packages containing videos of himself with his family--shot secretly from the street--and alarming drawings whose meaning is obscure. He has no idea who may be sending them. Gradually, the footage on the tapes becomes more personal, suggesting that the sender has known Georges for some time. Georges feels a sense of menace hanging over him and his family but, as no direct threat has been made, the police refuse to help.

Now I've seen many movies like this where it involves a person being stalked or being threaten by a known or unknown figure. Some of those movies normally have that realistic feel to it that the movie really needs if it wants to give the viewer interested and not feel fake. This can easily be pulled off if it's directed fantastically, as the director can build up the suspense and create a sense of realism to the films atmosphere to make it more effective. Some movies can pull it off successfully but some sadly don't. But Caché (Hidden) takes all the best elements that I just named off and put it into one movie that's truly flawless, because Caché is one of the best movies I've seen from 2005.

The only movie I've ever seen from Michael Haneke is the 2012 film ''Amour' that I saw back in early march this year. I haven't seen many of Michael Haneke movies yet, but I will get around to watching them as I feel I need to watch them in a special time when I'm not so busy. For what I've seen in Amour really showed me the talent and the brilliance that Michael had as I felt that every scene and every second of the movie matted, and it got me interest in he's other films right afterwards, and I'm so glad I picked Caché, because Michael Haneke directing in this movie was absolutely spectacular and probably the best directing I've seen in a while. The reason why I think the directing in this movie was so excellent is because while watching the movie I got that feeling of someone breathing down your neck kind of feel that only happens when everything is shot, acted, and directed excellently. Michael really injects the sense of anxiety and the feeling of being watched, and that was through the camera work and the directing. All throughout the movie I thought I was watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie, because this movie got the Hitchcock brilliance written all over it; you could say it's a modern day Hitchcock film that Alfred himself never directed. I'm so glad that Michael won best director at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival because he absolutely deserves it. Magnificent work Michael Haneke.

Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche are both unknown actors to me as I haven't seen any movies that they stared in and this is basically my first time I get to see these two act, and let me just say that I was completely amazed by their performance in this movie. When I saw these two act in a scene together I didn't see two actors delivering lines to each other, I only saw a couple trying to deal with their issues and having a real conversation that troubled couples will have. Daniel Auteuil and Juliette Binoche sold they performance in this movie and they were brilliant.

Another thing that made this movie truly great is the writing as it was absolutely astonishing. The movie is about 117 minutes long and those 117 minutes you get to know and deeply understand the characters of the film. Michael Haneke wrote the movie and within a flash he gives away a lot on the character's just by the movement, the way their act, and how people speck made the characters and the environment that the movie is set in feel realistic. The writing made everything seem so down to earth and Michael Haneke wrote this movie brilliantly that he put his soul and heart into this work.

Caché (Hidden) dose stay true to it's title, what I mean is that the movie dose have it's hidden messages that I know a lot of viewers (Including me) may not catch on the first viewing. Yes it's one of those 'Need to watch more than once' kind of movie that I honestly don't mind re-watching, but some may not. After the movie was over I straight away re-watched it because I felt like I missed something and I was right, the things I missed on the first viewing really made the story and the movie itself even more fantastic, because the movie only gives little hints on things that relate to the characters past life and the movies theme. The movie can be analyzed by many ways possible, as people can make creative and challenging theories for this movie with the films hidden secrets that lies beneath. That's just the brilliance of what a movie can do and that's making you come back and learn more.

Now for the problems: I have none.
  66. May 16, 2016
    I literally gasped and felt my heart race with real fear. I was entertained. A must watch.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-260136-Cache
  67. Apr 7, 2016
    فیلم پنهان ساخته میشائیل هانکه با فضایی تکان دهنده داستان یک خانواده را روایت می کند. مانند دیگر کارهای هانکه دوربین ثابت و نمادها حرف اصلی را در فیلم می زنند.

1. This brilliant if unpleasant puzzle without a solution about surveillance and various kinds of denial finds writer-director Michael Haneke near the top of his game, though it's not a game everyone will want to play.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    This brilliantly disturbing movie is constructed with surgical precision. Haneke lets no one off the hook least of all the viewer.
  3. Haneke echoes the theme of Hitchcock's "Rear Window": Moviemaking is basically an act of voyeurism. We secretly examine people's lives in every movie. But in this one, there is a hidden camera, a movie within the movie as it were, forcing us to observe a character along side a mysterious stranger.