8.3

1. wossname
    Mar 25, 2005
    The promising start gives way to tedium as the pacing falls out of the window as we wait for the inevitable ending in which Bruce Willis will save the day; when the ending comes, it is so stupid and implausable that I wonder if Bruce Willis read this script at all!
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    Why people stick to 90s thrillers when they want to make a film in 2005, I don't understand. "Hostage" is decent as an action-thriller flick, but its novelty value is awful. Ok, we start with a second-hand plot, some one-sided characters and pretty unconvincing performances. What's so disappointing is that the film does not even try to be inventive in any way, as if it was all aboutWhy people stick to 90s thrillers when they want to make a film in 2005, I don't understand. "Hostage" is decent as an action-thriller flick, but its novelty value is awful. Ok, we start with a second-hand plot, some one-sided characters and pretty unconvincing performances. What's so disappointing is that the film does not even try to be inventive in any way, as if it was all about film-making school homework. The single thing that deserves praise are its outstanding visuals, with some scenes such as the one where Mars, the bad guy, emerges from the flames, being truly stunning. Of all the performances I liked Ben Foster's most, and if you watch the film you 'll know why. It is entertaining but feels like waste recycled. If making a collage of other movie scenes is regarded as film making, then we have a serious problem. Expand
  3. JohannaB.
    Mar 9, 2005
    Not a good sign when the advance screening audience laughs through the whole movie, given that is wasn't designed as a comedy.
  4. AlainT
    Mar 12, 2005
    This has to be the stupidest movie I have ever seen. Never have I heard people laugh out loud when someone got killed in a movie. The plot completely falls apart and makes no sense, as if the producer ran out of good ideas and just decides to kill everyone at the end as the only reasonable alternative left since the write of this story most likely had his head up his ass. DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
  5. VinceH.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but he is mostly wasted here, essentially playing the role that Matthew Pitt normally plays. It has some compelling moments (and a very cool Panic Room-inspired opening credits sequence). In the end all you can think is...what's the point? On a side note, the best thing of seeing this was a chance to see the new Sin City trailer. Cannot wait. Collapse
  6. TonyB
    Aug 17, 2005
    There's not a boring minute in it but not too many believable ones either. "Hostage" takes itself more seriously than basically silly claptrap has a right to.
  7. ArlenS.
    Mar 14, 2005
    First 10 minutes: very good. Next fifteen minutes: not bad. Rest of movie: So terrible that there is only one explanation: in giving Bruce Willis a crew cut, they must accidentally have shaved off part of his brain.

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Right from the intriguing opening sequence, which hints at the bleakness which envelops the movie, Willis’ Talley is an interesting character.
  2. If Hostage looks a lot like a state-of-the-art French "policier" minus the pesky subtitles, the effect is purely intentional.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    What sends this initially tense thriller over the precipice is a plot scheme that never knows when enough is enough.