8.3

1. SusanM.
    Mar 15, 2005
    It was okay. A bit loooooong in parts, a lot unrealistic toward the end.
  2. wossname
    Mar 25, 2005
    The promising start gives way to tedium as the pacing falls out of the window as we wait for the inevitable ending in which Bruce Willis will save the day; when the ending comes, it is so stupid and implausable that I wonder if Bruce Willis read this script at all!
  3. MichaelD.
    Aug 16, 2005
    Overall it was an ok film. I would give it a 7. Nothing thrilling but the suspense was alright in the movie, especially right in the middlle. Other than some little nonsense like the hostage taker boys and stuff overall the hostage scenario was good too. Except for the very end where it gets really unrealistic and ridiculus in terms of one and a hlaf man vs 4-5(can't remember now) Overall it was an ok film. I would give it a 7. Nothing thrilling but the suspense was alright in the movie, especially right in the middlle. Other than some little nonsense like the hostage taker boys and stuff overall the hostage scenario was good too. Except for the very end where it gets really unrealistic and ridiculus in terms of one and a hlaf man vs 4-5(can't remember now) men with guns ready. C'mon people ridiculus. but I guess as the consultants of the movie say they had to mess up the reality part of the movie to give it happy ending. Expand
  4. FrankO.
    Jan 15, 2006
    I was looking forward to viewing this movie because it was based on a novel by Robert Crais who I admire as a mystery writer. Needless to say, it was too much over the top with special effects and way too long.
  5. Jul 27, 2012
    This is such a great action packed movie with a great deal of suspense, good acting, and an overall decent plot. Pay no attention to the horrible review that the good for nothing critics gave this movie.
  6. billy
    Apr 10, 2005
    Gr8.
  7. Jul 31, 2014
    Why people stick to 90s thrillers when they want to make a film in 2005, I don't understand. "Hostage" is decent as an action-thriller flick, but its novelty value is awful. Ok, we start with a second-hand plot, some one-sided characters and pretty unconvincing performances. What's so disappointing is that the film does not even try to be inventive in any way, as if it was all aboutWhy people stick to 90s thrillers when they want to make a film in 2005, I don't understand. "Hostage" is decent as an action-thriller flick, but its novelty value is awful. Ok, we start with a second-hand plot, some one-sided characters and pretty unconvincing performances. What's so disappointing is that the film does not even try to be inventive in any way, as if it was all about film-making school homework. The single thing that deserves praise are its outstanding visuals, with some scenes such as the one where Mars, the bad guy, emerges from the flames, being truly stunning. Of all the performances I liked Ben Foster's most, and if you watch the film you 'll know why. It is entertaining but feels like waste recycled. If making a collage of other movie scenes is regarded as film making, then we have a serious problem. Expand
  8. PhilT.
    Mar 10, 2005
    Don't listen to those who didn't give good ratings to this movie, they are the same who gave high ratings to The Pacifier and Be Cool, two really dull movies. See this film, it's great, yes it did use some clichés but this is not a "normal" action movie, because you see little kids dying in this movie, something we rarely see on North American screens. Oh, and Don't listen to those who didn't give good ratings to this movie, they are the same who gave high ratings to The Pacifier and Be Cool, two really dull movies. See this film, it's great, yes it did use some clichés but this is not a "normal" action movie, because you see little kids dying in this movie, something we rarely see on North American screens. Oh, and Michelle Horn is hot. Expand
  9. BarryK.
    Mar 14, 2005
    Thoughts: wonderfully cinematic destruction; delicious cruelty to give the meat some bite. Carpl A. wrote: "Only the ending was poor as it omitted the discussion that obviously took place on the way to the final scene." IMHO, the scene would have been a damp squib if the conversation was included: the whole point of the scene is it's a surprise!
  10. Car9olF.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Keep you on the edge of your seat. Very well done. Love Bruce Willis.
  11. Dez
    Jul 8, 2005
    I want my MacLane back...
  12. djs
    Aug 20, 2005
    Its action - if you exepcted anything different from die hard then why did you expect anything different? but i think it is actually different - and you know it from the moment at the start when the kid dies - its directed brilliantly i think - dont ask for particular credibility - you didnt expect it - but its as good credibility wise as something like this can be. im amazed how good Its action - if you exepcted anything different from die hard then why did you expect anything different? but i think it is actually different - and you know it from the moment at the start when the kid dies - its directed brilliantly i think - dont ask for particular credibility - you didnt expect it - but its as good credibility wise as something like this can be. im amazed how good this is compared to what i thought it would be like. ace film. Expand
  13. LuciferJ.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Is this a great movie? No, but it's certainly enjoyable and gripping with a great performance from Bruce Willis. As long as you are willing to suspend your disbelief a little, you will have a good time. Unfortunately, the ending is weak and somewhat undermines the film, but overall, its one of the best of its genre in the last few years.
  14. JohannaB.
    Mar 9, 2005
    Not a good sign when the advance screening audience laughs through the whole movie, given that is wasn't designed as a comedy.
  15. Julia
    Jul 23, 2005
    One of the most intense movies thrillers Ever!!! My sister and I were glued to the screen for every second. This is by far one of Bruce Willis's best rolls, aside from Sin City, and shows he's still going strong. And the young actor Ben Foster scared the Hell out of my sister and me. He was a supurb villian really brought the movie to the intensity it was. I strongly recomend One of the most intense movies thrillers Ever!!! My sister and I were glued to the screen for every second. This is by far one of Bruce Willis's best rolls, aside from Sin City, and shows he's still going strong. And the young actor Ben Foster scared the Hell out of my sister and me. He was a supurb villian really brought the movie to the intensity it was. I strongly recomend this movie, just be sure to watch it with others , with the lights on, and I wouldn't recomend eating during it either. Collapse
  16. GillesB.
    Jul 7, 2005
    Very good movie. my brother and me like it :-)
  17. DarthM.
    Mar 13, 2006
    This movie is very interesting. It starts a simple hostage situation and it gets more complex and more thrilling than most movies. It has suspense all the way and keeps wanting to see how everything will end. Its a great experience and thats all that matters!.
  18. AlainT
    Mar 12, 2005
    This has to be the stupidest movie I have ever seen. Never have I heard people laugh out loud when someone got killed in a movie. The plot completely falls apart and makes no sense, as if the producer ran out of good ideas and just decides to kill everyone at the end as the only reasonable alternative left since the write of this story most likely had his head up his ass. DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
  19. VinceH.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but Bruce Willis is one of the rare major actors (Keitel, Walken, Dafoe, etc.) who is always compelling and powerful no matter what crappy movie they are in. He once again proves to be a really magnetic screen prescence (not that he hadn't already of course) amidst all the overly-coincidental cliches that the screenplay piles up. Ben Foster is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors but he is mostly wasted here, essentially playing the role that Matthew Pitt normally plays. It has some compelling moments (and a very cool Panic Room-inspired opening credits sequence). In the end all you can think is...what's the point? On a side note, the best thing of seeing this was a chance to see the new Sin City trailer. Cannot wait. Expand
  20. CarplA.
    Mar 13, 2005
    I loved the movie as it had me sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time. Only the ending was poor as it omitted the discussion that obviously took place on the way to the final scene.
  21. Ryencoke
    Mar 16, 2005
    This movie was awesome.
  22. BenRondeau
    Jun 29, 2005
    i went in not expecting much out of this and though some spots seem redundant and all, the movie didn't dissapoint me all that much.
  23. JeffL
    Jun 29, 2005
    Much better than it's given credit for.
  24. GregT.
    Jun 29, 2005
    I love Bruce Willis movies. However, in the middle of this one, I went for a pee and a smoke and kept it running. I wasn't sure that I cared enough about the corrupt father, the bitchy daughter and the precocious son to worry what happened to them. This movie perked up towards the end, but.... I wouldn't write to anyone and suggest that they rent this movie.
  25. bruceishot
    Jul 1, 2005
    Bruce willis is sooo hot! anyway, the movie was not great... it was not confident with what it wanted to be, a movie aboutt: rowdy kids trying to steal a car, a sick cold-blooded murderer, or a company who wants its money or something... the is a 1, but Bruce get a 50! He has gotten old, but retained sexyness.
  26. TonyB
    Aug 17, 2005
    There's not a boring minute in it but not too many believable ones either. "Hostage" takes itself more seriously than basically silly claptrap has a right to.
  27. RayB.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This film is really difficult to judge. The film itself is a good old fashioned Bruce Willis action movie. But and it's a big BUT the novel it is based on by Robert Crais is one of the best crime thriller books ever written and the movie decided to pick parts of the story to follow and not always the best parts i.e. the discovery in MARS home which is not in the film.
  28. LaraP.
    Mar 11, 2005
    Willis is great! Beats those other drab action movies out there now a days that's for sure.
  29. Fantasy
    Mar 11, 2005
    Once again the professional critics had to be watching something different that we watched. It was end to end suspense which had us sitting on the edge of our seat. The ending was a bit awkward but other than that it was a very exciting entertaining movie. You will certainly not be bored and is well worth the watch.
  30. ChadS.
    Mar 12, 2005
    "Hostage" works, but the film already had me at class warfare. The movie didn't need to kick it up another notch and yet its ensuing ludicrousness after the added dimension is introduced, miraculously, isn't fatal to the film's success. "Hostage", of course, would be a stronger film if the rich got rich the old fashioned way, which would deny the lower-class hooligans from "Hostage" works, but the film already had me at class warfare. The movie didn't need to kick it up another notch and yet its ensuing ludicrousness after the added dimension is introduced, miraculously, isn't fatal to the film's success. "Hostage", of course, would be a stronger film if the rich got rich the old fashioned way, which would deny the lower-class hooligans from being somewhat redeemed of their thuggery. "Hostage" is almost a smart genre film before Rumer Willis turns into a visual representation of the motivation behind method acting, and then it becomes a stupid, but entertaining studio film that makes you feel dumb for detecting faint thematical echoes of Gus Van Sant's "Elephant" at the onset. Bruce Willis, both, the ZZ Top and Uncle Fester versions, is known for interacting well with small kids and "Hostage" acknowledges it. Listen for the reference to Haley Joel Osment's famous line in "The Sixth Sense" when the little kid talks to Talley(Willis) on a cell. The Willis who combs his beard during a hostage crisis is the cocky Bruce of the "Die Hard" franchise. The bald Willis who's looking for directions to that road called redemption is the Bruce of "In Country" and "Pulp Fiction", and what "Hostage" tries to do, I think, is coax a performance at home in Willis' more sober non-commercial turns in an event film. Expand
  31. ArlenS.
    Mar 14, 2005
    First 10 minutes: very good. Next fifteen minutes: not bad. Rest of movie: So terrible that there is only one explanation: in giving Bruce Willis a crew cut, they must accidentally have shaved off part of his brain.
  32. BeanoS.
    Mar 18, 2005
    So tired of seeing the same predictible suspence. Is Bruce's gardener picking scripts, now? Yawn.
  33. CarlosM.
    Mar 27, 2005
    All I knew about this film was what I'd seen in the trailer. The trailer was noisy and stupid so imagine my surprise when I saw the film in its entirety. It may not be high art but it was a genuinely entertaining diversion that I highly reccommend. There are far worse ways to spend two hours of your life.
  34. videoportv.
    Apr 15, 2005
    I see many negative reviews above, however I saw this movie last week and I think it is great.
  35. NickH
    Jul 19, 2005
    Die Hard in a duplex... minus the drama, tension, acting, and crazy Europeans.

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Right from the intriguing opening sequence, which hints at the bleakness which envelops the movie, Willis’ Talley is an interesting character.
  2. If Hostage looks a lot like a state-of-the-art French "policier" minus the pesky subtitles, the effect is purely intentional.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    What sends this initially tense thriller over the precipice is a plot scheme that never knows when enough is enough.