Hot Fuzz

8.7

1. maxj
    Feb 11, 2009
    Very funny and full of silly and fun action and an impressive storyline makes me want to watch it over and over again.
  2. TimB
    Jun 30, 2008
    Hot Fuzz will ruin the buddy-cop genre for you, and you'll love it for it. While it's not an amazing action film or an outstanding comedy of its own right, the way it blends the two into both an homage and a satire is brilliant. Its characters, plot, setting, and style (especially its use of absurdly fast cuts, a la The Bourne series) all say "Isn't this awesome?" and Hot Fuzz will ruin the buddy-cop genre for you, and you'll love it for it. While it's not an amazing action film or an outstanding comedy of its own right, the way it blends the two into both an homage and a satire is brilliant. Its characters, plot, setting, and style (especially its use of absurdly fast cuts, a la The Bourne series) all say "Isn't this awesome?" and "Isn't this stupid?" at once, and it's right about both. Expand
  3. abbyl
    Sep 3, 2007
    This movie was so good and ridiculously funny.
  4. MaxC.
    Sep 7, 2007
    This is a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. While being made by the same people as Shaun of the Dead, it is not the same kind of humor and really shouldn't be compared with. This is an english spoof of cop movies, while the other is a spoof of zombie movies. Not exactly comparable. Anyway, see this movie and Shaun of the Dead, then the next movie they make, which I believe has This is a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. While being made by the same people as Shaun of the Dead, it is not the same kind of humor and really shouldn't be compared with. This is an english spoof of cop movies, while the other is a spoof of zombie movies. Not exactly comparable. Anyway, see this movie and Shaun of the Dead, then the next movie they make, which I believe has something to do with a spoof of space invaders or something. Expand
  5. MuttD.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Incredible action comedy which manages to both lavish, lampoon, and love the genre while also managing to distinguish itself from it's counterparts.
  6. CraigA
    Apr 10, 2008
    Not as good as Shaun, but near perfection anyway.
  7. JakeH.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Awesome Movie!!! So funny and violent!
  8. Aug 17, 2010
    Very funny movie, Simon Pegg is a great and very funny actor. There are countless things I laughed at whilst watching this movie, from the SWAN!!!!! to the bar gun fight scene. Hilarious movie, worth watching.
  9. May 26, 2012
    This movie is hilarious. Plot was top-notch. Great overall movie, and not to mention all the awesome deaths they filmed.
  10. JacobS.
    Apr 30, 2007
    I don't give out 10s lightly, but this film deserved. I literally could not stop laughing. I completely forgot about the popcorn I bought, and nearly busted a rib laughing. However, the 8 of us who went were pretty much the only ones making any noise, but we made a lot of it. I intend to watch this movie at least two more times in theatres, and will buy the DVD in an instant.
  11. Jefframone
    Apr 21, 2007
    Freakin' HILARIOUS! It pokes fun at how brainless and idiotic American action movies are without being brainless and idiotic itself. It's smart, it's quick (editing, not running time) and best of all funny as hell. I noticed that the only "bad" review it got was from "The Hollywood Reporter", which said "All the action is staged with energy, but it gets relentless without Freakin' HILARIOUS! It pokes fun at how brainless and idiotic American action movies are without being brainless and idiotic itself. It's smart, it's quick (editing, not running time) and best of all funny as hell. I noticed that the only "bad" review it got was from "The Hollywood Reporter", which said "All the action is staged with energy, but it gets relentless without anything really funny going on." Nothing funny going on? Either this person did not even see this movie or he fell asleep. Or, and this is my guess, he is such stupid and numbed by what passes for a good movie by American standards, he didn't get that they were being spoofed. This movie is a great time. See it NOW! Expand
  12. CiaranG.
    Apr 21, 2007
    As the movie progresses, it gets better and better (and crazier).
  13. R.Jones
    Apr 26, 2007
    I was smiling the entire time.
  14. ItaiF.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Love how they combined intense action with dry uproarious humor 2 thumbs up.
  15. RobR.
    May 1, 2007
    This is (In my opinion) the BEST movie since Shaun of the Dead. Not only is it very funny throughout the movie, it also reminds you of what made shaun of the dead such a good movie, A GOOD STORY LINE. Very funny while having very serious scenes of action, and this movie was actually scary at times! Some may say that this is bold, but not only is this the best movie in 3 years, It may be This is (In my opinion) the BEST movie since Shaun of the Dead. Not only is it very funny throughout the movie, it also reminds you of what made shaun of the dead such a good movie, A GOOD STORY LINE. Very funny while having very serious scenes of action, and this movie was actually scary at times! Some may say that this is bold, but not only is this the best movie in 3 years, It may be the best movie I have ever seen! Expand
  16. ArthurO.
    Sep 11, 2007
    First of all, give this view at least a second viewing. Once you do that you can much better appreciate how great this movie is. I can easily see why some reviews have Hot Fuzz in the mediocre range. That's because this is a completely different sort of film than we are accustomed to in the US. Comedies are formulaic and you "feel" when they try to make you laugh, even when the jokes First of all, give this view at least a second viewing. Once you do that you can much better appreciate how great this movie is. I can easily see why some reviews have Hot Fuzz in the mediocre range. That's because this is a completely different sort of film than we are accustomed to in the US. Comedies are formulaic and you "feel" when they try to make you laugh, even when the jokes or gags don't hit. This gives the average person the impression that the movie is funnier than what they actually laugh at. Most of the humor in Hot Fuzz is done subtly. There are laughs to be had every minute of this movie when you understand why it is funny. Much of this subtly is hidden in the main storyline itself. Yes, the plot is believable as is the action. Many will say "that's impossible" several times. However, the plot walks a very delicate line between being a far fetched action plot and using considerable satire. It's the way that it mixes little satirical bits and other jokes you have to think about with slapstick and mindless comedy that makes it so funny. It's not just about the comedy, though. The action is always entertaining, especially the incredible last half hour. Entertaining and funny all the way through, the film still manages to craft genuine characters that you actually care about. The end also left me inspired more than the typical cliche Hollywood formula. If you take the time to find all the hidden comedic gems Hot Fuzz has to offer, it just may the best movie you have seen, as it is mine. There is more than enough, though, for those expecting a dumb action comedy to have fun. But either way, we need more movies like this. We need more movies made by people who have a true passion for the art. More movies that are this multidimensional and that get all of them right. We need more movies like Hot Fuzz. Expand
  17. Aug 14, 2010
    One of the best movies i have ever watched. Definitely in my top 20. After a few years, it will probably lead its place to my top 10. Edgar's best movie, in my opinion.
  18. BKL
    Aug 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very funny movie. I have to say it is a killer movie. It will give you reason to suggestion what it takes to be a cop in a small village called Sanford. This movie will give you the time of your life! Expand
  19. Aug 21, 2010
    Actually one of the best action movies of all time whilst being one of the best Comedies of all time. Absolutely makes everything you see for a short while after seem boring. You'll watch it over and over again for its one-liners, great action sequences (especially at the end) and it's characters which include some of the best british talent ever seen in film.
  20. Mar 6, 2011
    One of the best British films for quite some time. The second of the Blood And Ice Cream (Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg), first being Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz is the perfect parody of the buddy cop genre. Carefully paced story, brilliantly edited, solid acting and chemistry from Pegg and Frost and furthermore the jokes are everywhere and will keep you on your toes just to see what theOne of the best British films for quite some time. The second of the Blood And Ice Cream (Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg), first being Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz is the perfect parody of the buddy cop genre. Carefully paced story, brilliantly edited, solid acting and chemistry from Pegg and Frost and furthermore the jokes are everywhere and will keep you on your toes just to see what the joke was but you just subconsciously laugh at it without knowing. I could watch this again and again. It's too good. Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2013
    One of the best comedy ever. A landmark for Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. This movie definitely defined them. Hope they make more of this sort.
    The cast is good. The acting is almost there. And over all Hilarious.
  22. Nov 7, 2010
    Brilliant film, but it's not as good or funny as Shaun of the Dead. Hopefully the final one in the 'trilogy' will be the best. I'm struggling to get 150 chars here XD
  23. Aug 28, 2013
    One of the best British film ever made! That's it. Spread the word! The script is brilliant, every word count, the acting is brilliant, every character is relevant. But.... just stop right here and watch this masterpiece right now. The story may seem slow within the first half hour, but the entire plot became soon extremely satisfying.
  24. Sep 10, 2011
    "Hot Fuzz" blows off the movie core with mind-less action, agreeable humor (that has no penis jokes), and bad ass performances by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Every minute is a blast, every second is worth the watch.

! NOTE-I GAVE THE WRONG SCORE FOR THE FIRST ONE!
  25. JamieC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    This movie is cleverly written with great comedy and a unique plotline. Like no other movie out there. I've watched it several times and it gets better and better...
  26. EthicsE.
    May 6, 2007
    This movie is brilliant, when my buds and I came out of it we all agreed it evoked the same feeling as Shawn of the dead. I would say this movie is perfect and henceforth deserves the rating 10 out of 10.
  27. WilliamB.
    Jun 21, 2007
    While not as good as Shaun of the Dead, of course what is, this was a blast although a bit slow at first.
  28. JasonP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This movie was a big disappointment. I loved Shaun of the Dead and this film was no where as good. I wish I didn't see the trailer for this film, because then a lot of the jokes would of been fresh. When I saw SOTD, I didn't know anything about it except that my friends loved it. I'm sure if I saw the trailer for SOTD, it would of spoiled half that movie for me as well. This movie was a big disappointment. I loved Shaun of the Dead and this film was no where as good. I wish I didn't see the trailer for this film, because then a lot of the jokes would of been fresh. When I saw SOTD, I didn't know anything about it except that my friends loved it. I'm sure if I saw the trailer for SOTD, it would of spoiled half that movie for me as well. Overall, this movie was humorous, but I thought it spent way too much time trying to make fun of Michael Bay and other action junky directors like him. It should of just made a good action film with loads of laughs. That's where SOTD succeeded and Hot Fuzz failed. SOTD made a regular zombie movie that was "laugh out loud" funny. Also, the supporting cast of this film was annoying and no where close to being funny. The only funny moments came from the two main characters, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. SOTD's supporting cast helped make a more interesting and entertaining film. Expand
  29. JoshP.
    May 5, 2007
    Hey those of you that gave it low ratings. Go watch the George Lopez show for your canned laughs. The movie was phenomenal. Of course the kitsch and the plot are all tongue in cheek as Point Break was a node of inspiration for some scenes. There hasn't been a movie this funny in awhile and if you've already seen the mediocre Blades of Glory, go see something a little smarter.
  30. GaetanS.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I had a great time. I didn't like it as much as Shaun, but then again, I'm a zombie film addict. Fuzz is funny and you'll be surprised by the quality of the action scenes.
  31. Wayne
    Aug 10, 2007
    The way they parodied themselves with reworking of jokes from "Shaun of the dead" is pure genius. Maybe more suited to UK sense of humour than USA but I'm sure most of the jokes carry across. BTW England isn't really like this film LOL, well most of it isn't ;)
  32. James
    Apr 20, 2007
    Smart. just when you think it's fallen into the conventions it parodies, the film reveals a joke 20 minutes in the making. That level of investmet is too rare these days and much appreciated in this one. It also gets better the more you think about it.
  33. CarrieJ.
    Great movie!
  34. Ccw
    Apr 29, 2007
    Very funny, good, jokes, and hilarious action, a little slow at the start.
  35. ThomasH.
    May 7, 2007
    Enjoyed shawn of the dead so much is was just great seeing most of the cast again in another strange and humorous farce.
  36. Riren
    Jun 15, 2007
    Nowhere as creative a response to cop movies as Shaun of the Dead was to zombie movies, Hot Fuzz is still pretty funny. It could have survived shaving twenty minutes off, and there's a good deal of worthless and even annoying antagonism and uncomfortability that doesn't need to be there and doesn't entertain, but the remaining film is quite amusing, with a familiar Nowhere as creative a response to cop movies as Shaun of the Dead was to zombie movies, Hot Fuzz is still pretty funny. It could have survived shaving twenty minutes off, and there's a good deal of worthless and even annoying antagonism and uncomfortability that doesn't need to be there and doesn't entertain, but the remaining film is quite amusing, with a familiar chemistry between the two lead cops and an irreverent spirit. Expand
  37. StacyB.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Wonderfully funny. I loved it. Not quite as good as Shaun but still enjoyable. Lots of wit!!
  38. AndrewC.
    Apr 17, 2007
    Ridiculously entertaining - the most fun I've had at the movies in what seems like years.
  39. MarkG.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Everything about the movie is awsome! Far better than Shaun of the Dead (another great movie)
  40. NK.
    Apr 20, 2007
    Amazing. just go and see it. you will not regret it. much much better than shaun of the dead.
  41. MattA.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Loved it. My favorite movie of all time is Shaun of the Dead, and this lived up to my expectations. Edgar Wright does such a great job blending comedy and violence in his films. One of most talented directors of our age. Simon and Nick pull off the parts effortlessly. Great. a solid A.
  42. JohnK.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Probably the best comedy of the year. So spot on; there's not a better parody of action films out there.
  43. Matt
    Apr 20, 2007
    Dear USA Today. Monty Python's Flying Circus is almost 40 years old. Please get the f*** over it. Comparing it with Hot Fuzz is somewhat like comparing South Park to Sergeant Bilko. BTW Hot Fuzz is a great movie. Not as good as Shaun Of The Dead but still worth seeing.
  44. JonS.
    May 14, 2007
    This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. The movie starts out with blantely hilarious stuff. Then you movie to the crime mystery part. Then you top it all off with the 45min of over the top action. This one of the best action I have watched. For those who did not like it why don
  45. MikeG.
    May 21, 2007
    The funniest movie of the year by far, British comedy has never been better! It is slightly boring in the middle, however the ending action sequence balances it out.
  46. BillyS.
    May 2, 2007
    Hot Fuzz is Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's take on all those big budget action/buddy films in the same way they did zombie pics in Shawn of the Dead. It's very well done with a lot of good British actors and Pegg and Nick Frost prove to be the next great comedy team in movies today, but because action/adventure is my least favorite genre I just didn't laugh as much as I Hot Fuzz is Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's take on all those big budget action/buddy films in the same way they did zombie pics in Shawn of the Dead. It's very well done with a lot of good British actors and Pegg and Nick Frost prove to be the next great comedy team in movies today, but because action/adventure is my least favorite genre I just didn't laugh as much as I thoght I would. There are some very funny scenes and Frost gets most of the great lines but after Shawn Of the Dead I was just a little disappointed that it didn't require astronaut diapers to watch it. (But that doesn't mean I can't wait for whatever they team up to do next). Collapse
  47. DwightT.
    May 2, 2007
    Good Lord. Reading the low reviews by the people who never get anything is infuriating. This movie delivers if you have a brain. Enjoy!
  48. DanS.
    May 2, 2007
    Though the twitch editing combined with the loud wooshing sound effects became tiresome after a while, the film is genuinely funny, and the action scene during the final push was hilarious.
  49. DanP.
    May 23, 2007
    Smashing! This movie blew me away because it was both funny and action-packed. Sure, "Shaun" was great too, but this was another step for British film-making.
  50. BeckyS.
    May 5, 2007
    Even Better than expected, kept me laughing from beginning to end
  51. PatrickC.
    May 7, 2007
    The funniest Comedy of the whole year. Following Shaun of the dead, gave me mixed feelings about this film. Shaun was very good but this film is much better. The film is one movie you must run to the theaters to see.
  52. MattH.
    May 9, 2007
    Whilst not capturing the success (crictially) of Shaun of the Dead, I believe the boys have done it again with a funny police comedy. Not hitting the heights of Shaun, this still has an intriging story and engaging characters. If Shaun was all about Simon Pegg, this is Nick Frosts's movie.
  53. AlexG.
    Jul 2, 2007
    This is a sophisticated and an authentic parody. The duo made it again, but with class and knowledge.
  54. EricaP
    Jul 30, 2007
    I know it may be outrageous to say this, but I have to admit I enjoyed this movie a great deal more than I liked Shaun of the Dead. I found myself laughing till I hurt, 'aww'ing in all the right places, and leaving the movie with a great feeling.
  55. RayS.
    Aug 19, 2007
    This is a parody of action/buddy cop movies, along with references to other genres. It was consistently amusing, with a lot of dry British humor. Those giving the flick a low score just don't like parodies. Yes, the ending is over the top, but in a good way! Shaun of the Dead was a different parody, and the filmakers did not want to repeat themselves. With all the sequels out there This is a parody of action/buddy cop movies, along with references to other genres. It was consistently amusing, with a lot of dry British humor. Those giving the flick a low score just don't like parodies. Yes, the ending is over the top, but in a good way! Shaun of the Dead was a different parody, and the filmakers did not want to repeat themselves. With all the sequels out there it is refreshing to get an original film. Expand
  56. Sanderv.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Brilliant. Just brilliant. I told my wife about this film and she asked what kinda movie it was. Well, eh... it's a comedy, and a drama, and a thriller, a little bit of horor, a buddy movie, a cop spoof, an action flick and so on. Best thing released this year (at least).
  57. DaveF
    Aug 6, 2007
    Hilariously over-the-top, but also subtle and inventive. I was expecting a (real) British Austin Powers, but got something brilliant. Definitely one-ups Shawn of the Dead.
  58. BobB
    Apr 18, 2007
    I live in the uk so i saw this movie back in february. Its' absolutely brilliant. so much fun. i wish there were more movies like this. it works on two levels. a hilarious comedy, and a killer action film. it's not a spoof like most movies are but a tribute to awesome actin movies.
  59. PhilM.
    Apr 21, 2007
    I thought it was hard to top shaun of the dead, but this movie managed to top it in so many ways, this movie had so much more and the parodies were just classics. Definitely go and see this movie.
    Apr 21, 2007
    This was a most enjoyable film to watch; everyone in the audience had a great time as evidenced by their constant laughter. This isn't Talladega Nights or Dumb and Dumber. The comedy in Hot Fuzz is subtle and subversive. The play on the buddy-cop genre is masterfully executed. The masterful editing the crisp and innovative directorial style give the film a slick look and sometimes This was a most enjoyable film to watch; everyone in the audience had a great time as evidenced by their constant laughter. This isn't Talladega Nights or Dumb and Dumber. The comedy in Hot Fuzz is subtle and subversive. The play on the buddy-cop genre is masterfully executed. The masterful editing the crisp and innovative directorial style give the film a slick look and sometimes gleefully frenzied pacing. For those looking for smart in their funny, this is the comedy movie to watch this year. Expand
  61. JohnMorrison
    Apr 21, 2007
    Starts out slow and gets faster and faster. The latter half is screamingly funny. Saw it here in Washington, DC with a whole bunch of Americans. As a middle aged Brit, who was a cop in the 80s close to where this was supposed to be set, I didn't think this would translate. But it does. In large part because the movie isn't a parochial UK comedy, its a play on action movieStarts out slow and gets faster and faster. The latter half is screamingly funny. Saw it here in Washington, DC with a whole bunch of Americans. As a middle aged Brit, who was a cop in the 80s close to where this was supposed to be set, I didn't think this would translate. But it does. In large part because the movie isn't a parochial UK comedy, its a play on action movie stereotypes of the last 20 years. Great fun. Expand
  62. theLex
    Apr 21, 2007
    Smashing! I loved it! It makes my want to shoot my gun and yell "bang" "bang" each time I fire it! See the film. You'll totally get what I'm saying! I cannot recomend this film more! Go see it, and be prepared to laugh your head off! Cheers!
  63. MikeD.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Great movie. Very funny and original. I liked Shaun of the Dead better but both actors are great in these roles. Not the same characters as in Shaun of the Dead but hilarious nonetheless. Well worth the price of admission.
  64. AlexanderN.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Best movie ever. If you haven't seen it yet, you need to. right now. Seriously stop reading this and go to the theater.
  65. EC
    Apr 21, 2007
    Not quite as good as Shaun of the Dead, but still worth seeing. I haven't seen anybody spoof action flicks this well since Loaded Weapon 1, and that was 14 years ago.
  66. AideenM.
    Apr 22, 2007
    About time the Brits made another comedy in the tradition of Ealing Studios and the Terry-Thomas and Carry On movies of the 1960s.
  67. StephenH.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This movie is hilarious. You could bring up Virginia Tech with any movie with gun violence; if you're not comfortable with it yet then see a different movie.
  68. AndrewG
    Apr 23, 2007
    A little slow in the beginning, but never dull. The end is an amazing tribute to all action films. SOTD fans will love it. Spaced fans will too! Don't believe these negative reviews. I feel pity for the people that don't get it.
  69. JawaT.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Not 'funnier than Shaun of the Dead' only funny in a completely different way. The film offers not only cerebral laughs for the first two thirds but a whiplash change into slapstick for the last thirty minutes. It's not that anyone giving this a bad score has no sense of humour... it's just that they would much prefer to watch something like 'Epic Movie' for Not 'funnier than Shaun of the Dead' only funny in a completely different way. The film offers not only cerebral laughs for the first two thirds but a whiplash change into slapstick for the last thirty minutes. It's not that anyone giving this a bad score has no sense of humour... it's just that they would much prefer to watch something like 'Epic Movie' for their laughs. High quality viewing. Expand
  70. WillT.
    Apr 24, 2007
    As Shaun of the Dead was a Zombie movie with comedic elements this is more of a comedy with an action theme. This was (i think) funnier, but SOTD was a better made movie.
  71. Shaust
    Apr 25, 2007
    This is not SOTD so don't go into the theater expecting it. Also, it's British so if you don't 'get' British comedy, you might not enjoy this. Otherwise, I advise all to see it. (And yes the quick cuts are superfluous but they are symbolic of Nicholas Angel's character - big city cop). This comedy team is the best!
  72. GeorgeH.
    Apr 26, 2007
    A perfect film that works both as a satire and as the kind of "shoot-'em-up" film it satirizes. Expertly written and directed, well paced impeccably cast. One of the best comdies AND action films in many a year!
  73. Eeganrac
    Apr 27, 2007
    I love how this movie just makes fun of those crappy buddy cop movies. I really like this movie, but I have to warn you, there are some dull periods in the movie. The end of the movie was just phreaking sweet.
  74. DaveN.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Funniest movie I've seen in a long time! Not quite perfect, but damn funny. I'm a big fan of Brit comedies, and this is one of the better ones -- better, IMHO, than "Shaun of the Dead."
  75. MichelH.
    Apr 28, 2007
    An almost Twilight Zone lampoon of an English rural village. A hip, intelligent ripping off the vineer of a bucolic, peaceful , but hypocritical English Township by an overachieving London Bobbie bent on solving crime that locals pronounce doesn't exist.
  76. ShaneS.
    May 12, 2007
    This is a straight up a true action masterpiece!!!!
  77. PaulF.
    May 12, 2007
    What can I say but that this movie was the most brilliant comedy of the year thus far. I have not seen a comedy this smart since Little Miss Sunshine. Almost everything was spot on from the story line to the acting to the special effects. [***WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILER****] Keep in mind it is a very slow but interesting build for about 4/5ths of the movie and then things really break What can I say but that this movie was the most brilliant comedy of the year thus far. I have not seen a comedy this smart since Little Miss Sunshine. Almost everything was spot on from the story line to the acting to the special effects. [***WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILER****] Keep in mind it is a very slow but interesting build for about 4/5ths of the movie and then things really break loose, but this makes the absurdity all the more funny. Also it will help if you've seen a lot of cop movies before especially "Point Break", which was another great movie of a more serious vein. It seems the Brits have done it again. I cannot more heartily recommend this movie. Though it should be warned there is some gore and parents should be advised before taking the kiddies to see this one. In any case I consider this film a piece of art in my book. I was kind of surprised to see it in the major theaters. Maybe there is hope for pop culture after all. Expand
  78. AndyW.
    May 12, 2007
    It's hard to compare this movie to Shaun Of the Dead, because they're both on completely different levels. Yes, they're both smart, and at some occasions they're gorier, (mostly Shaun Of the Dead in particular), but the plot to Hot Fuzz seems more consistent, as for some weird reason it actually keeps you guessing until the very end, in which most comedies these days It's hard to compare this movie to Shaun Of the Dead, because they're both on completely different levels. Yes, they're both smart, and at some occasions they're gorier, (mostly Shaun Of the Dead in particular), but the plot to Hot Fuzz seems more consistent, as for some weird reason it actually keeps you guessing until the very end, in which most comedies these days fail. i've always thought Simon Pegg to be a genius, and I'm equally impressed with the writing for this movie. Overall, this could be one of the best comedies of the year. Expand
  79. RamzeezeB.
    May 13, 2007
    It was really funny and great action. I highly recommend it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is because it wasn't as funny as I thought it would but it was still awesome.
  80. ChadS.
    May 19, 2007
    What if "Local Hero" was produced by Jerry Bruckenheimer? That's "Hot Fuzz" in a nutshell. Those cute Irish comedies about some small-town of eccentric provincial folks with their quaint crises will never be the same again after this deadpan, then high burlesque send-up. Interestingly, the action-half of "Hot Fuzz" is so convincing, the testosterone bombast, which is prevalent in What if "Local Hero" was produced by Jerry Bruckenheimer? That's "Hot Fuzz" in a nutshell. Those cute Irish comedies about some small-town of eccentric provincial folks with their quaint crises will never be the same again after this deadpan, then high burlesque send-up. Interestingly, the action-half of "Hot Fuzz" is so convincing, the testosterone bombast, which is prevalent in every film from Danny's DVD collection, becomes the very thing he cherishes and the filmmaker mocks. The final action-driven sequence seems to go on forever, just like your average Michael Bay-directed flick. "Hot Fuzz" is more of a homage, than a parody of Hollywood blockbusters. This comedy is grounded in a realism we're not accustomed to. The actors aren't aware they're in a comedy. Expand
  81. Dangdang
    Jun 16, 2007
    This movie is sooo funny. The story is very creative. I love this movie. Some woman sit in front of me couldn't stop laughing during the whole 2 hours.
  82. DanielB
    Jun 30, 2007
    One of the best comedy movies make this year. If you haven't seen it then your really missing out, its serious and funny. Its the end was ok, but at least it ended properly unlike other movies.
  83. FXT
    Jun 5, 2007
    Hilarious! From the begining to the end, a little gory at some points but british are used to this so it's ok. Waiting for some kind of seqwel.
  84. ValS.
    Jun 8, 2007
    It seems that Ted L doesn't understand satire otherwise he'd be laughing his head off with the rest of us.
  85. BitBurn
    Jul 2, 2007
    Hey Hollywood movie makers: watch and learn! Pure fun, adrenalized, great cast, hilarious, all the right ingredients for an entertaining night at the movies.
  86. HM.
    Jul 31, 2007
    This is far and away my favorite film of the year. It functions perfectly as action and comedy, and is both in-your-face and nuanced.
  87. Becky
    Aug 21, 2007
    When i saw this film, i laughed so hard i nearly cried. I love the whole plot and i loved to acting. This is easily one of my favorite films.
  88. R.D.
    Aug 28, 2007
    I only looked at my watch once when it started to drag slightly about 40 minutes from the end... at which point it ramped up steeply to a fantastic finish. Worth your attention. I rated Shaun of the Dead a "10".
  89. RobbyT.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Some advice for the moviegoer: Before the film starts, get yourself into the state of mind that you're about to watch a fresh take on a "Bad Boys" style action flick starring a couple of rising stars from England. You will appreciate the comedy so much more if you aren't expecting it. And to Matt (scroll down), VERY well said. I like Monty Python and all but, when I read USA Some advice for the moviegoer: Before the film starts, get yourself into the state of mind that you're about to watch a fresh take on a "Bad Boys" style action flick starring a couple of rising stars from England. You will appreciate the comedy so much more if you aren't expecting it. And to Matt (scroll down), VERY well said. I like Monty Python and all but, when I read USA Today's blurb, I had to roll my eyes. I gotta write that down! Expand
  90. CAENT
    Apr 21, 2007
    Although it wasn't as funny as "Shaun of the Dead", it still had me laughing in my seat from start to finish. I love the sense of humor. The action will surprise you. You kind of get the best of both worlds with this film. Definitely a must see, especially if you enjoyed "Shaun of the Dead".
  91. JoeyK.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Wow, fantastic movie. It succeeds as an action, mystery, cop, parody, and comedy movie all at the same time, and superbly. It's simply incredible how impressive this is as a genuine movie while still being, at it's core, a complete farce.
  92. JayC.
    Apr 22, 2007
    [***SPOILERS***] During the first half I kept thinking, "British humor can be funny, but so far this is not". Then Simon opens up the weapons cache room and gets a white horse. In spite of all the shooting and mayhem, the death toll is low and the laughs are super. There are many little zany moments (stopping for the bird, drop-kicking the old lady with the shotgun, was it a real town in [***SPOILERS***] During the first half I kept thinking, "British humor can be funny, but so far this is not". Then Simon opens up the weapons cache room and gets a white horse. In spite of all the shooting and mayhem, the death toll is low and the laughs are super. There are many little zany moments (stopping for the bird, drop-kicking the old lady with the shotgun, was it a real town in miniture?) You have to see it to believe it, and then you aren't totally sure about everything that happened. Expand
  93. SeanP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Carolyn, my heart goes out to you and everyone in your state, but you really should not let the event affect your rating for this film. Don't fault the violence only because you watched it a week after VT. As far as film-making, the action scenes were well-filmed, the violence cleverly over-the-top, and the very British humorwas consistently hilarious throughout. (Also, the Carolyn, my heart goes out to you and everyone in your state, but you really should not let the event affect your rating for this film. Don't fault the violence only because you watched it a week after VT. As far as film-making, the action scenes were well-filmed, the violence cleverly over-the-top, and the very British humorwas consistently hilarious throughout. (Also, the filmmakers made this before the shooting, they can't be blamed at all.) Expand
  94. TonyO
    Apr 23, 2007
    I liked the British humor, there were some good action scenes, and there were a couple of clever twists. The bad: I think it was a bit too long (2hr 1min) and the close-ups combined with quick cuts got a little annoying. Even if someone is either from Virginia or connected with VT in some way, you can't really complain about the violence. The previews clearly show that there are some I liked the British humor, there were some good action scenes, and there were a couple of clever twists. The bad: I think it was a bit too long (2hr 1min) and the close-ups combined with quick cuts got a little annoying. Even if someone is either from Virginia or connected with VT in some way, you can't really complain about the violence. The previews clearly show that there are some shootouts in the movie and it's not like you are being forced to see the movie---buying a ticket means you made the choice to see it. Expand
  95. NickM.
    Apr 24, 2007
    this was the second best comedy ive seen in ten years, only beaten by Borat. I dont see why people say that Shaun of the dead was funnier, it wasnt. As comedies go this is a 10, but since im rating movies based on how well they were, im giving it an 8, which is still great. The acting , story and the overall idea was great, but its a comedy, its got too any laughs to be a 10. Its the best this was the second best comedy ive seen in ten years, only beaten by Borat. I dont see why people say that Shaun of the dead was funnier, it wasnt. As comedies go this is a 10, but since im rating movies based on how well they were, im giving it an 8, which is still great. The acting , story and the overall idea was great, but its a comedy, its got too any laughs to be a 10. Its the best movie this year, a must see Expand
  96. PaulK.
    Apr 24, 2007
    This was a lot funnier than the trailer suggested and I definitely enjoyed it way more than Shaun Of The Dead. If you have any desire to see this, try to get to the theater. It's worth it.
  97. DavidS.
    Apr 27, 2007
    The care and attention lavished on this film by the writers and director is obvious, extraordinary, and well worth your time to see. It is, truly, an almost perfect satire.
  98. NickA.
    Apr 27, 2007
    A truly British film, with its comedy founded in the absurd.
  99. AndrewJ.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Funny. But not nearly as funny as you'd expet. The fun lies in the details and references to other action films. You won't be laughing out loud much, it's more of a "grin plastered to your face for 90 minutes" kind of movie.
  100. EricC.
    May 16, 2007
    I'm a huge Shaun of the Dead fan, so I couldn't help but have high hopes for this movie, which reunited the two heros in a buddy cop flick. And while it almost never happens, my expectations were exceeded. Starts off slow, but once it starts gradually gaining speed, my god. Most fun movie I've seen since watching Anchorman in a crowded theater. And trust me, that's a I'm a huge Shaun of the Dead fan, so I couldn't help but have high hopes for this movie, which reunited the two heros in a buddy cop flick. And while it almost never happens, my expectations were exceeded. Starts off slow, but once it starts gradually gaining speed, my god. Most fun movie I've seen since watching Anchorman in a crowded theater. And trust me, that's a huge compliment. Expand

A little too long and suffers from a sagging midsection when the level of exposition becomes laborious, but the spectacularly entertaining final 30 minutes compensates for a lot of flaws.
    It's a blast.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    A sustained genre parody that's equally funny but (maybe in deference to the genre) much more pumped up.