8.6

1. AndyS.
    Jan 20, 2005
    What movie are you criers watching? This was visually unimaginative and extremely manipulative.
  2. VincentB.
    Jan 20, 2005
    One of the most manipulative films in a long time, exploiting one of the great tragedies of modern times.
  3. BobE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Extremely disjointed and insulting. This was a blatent rip-off of the genuine emotions felt in "Schindler's List" This movie is a fraud!
  4. JoeM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    A patronizing piece of propaganda that exploits events, with a filmaker of no real vision and style. The users are overating the film, big-time!
  5. MariaA.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I'm sorry, I just don't buy it! There are certain moviegoers who enjoy emoting and feeling depressed, but this movie really left me cold. It was a terrible attempt to manipulate that didn't work.
  6. TommyJ.
    Jan 20, 2005
    The user rating for this film is misleading and way off-the-mark. This was less a "film" than a poorly-constructed docudrama that used shameless manipulative tactics. Not a film to recommend to anyone.
  7. JasonG.
    Jan 20, 2005
    In the end, an overwrought, messy and boring drama that is highly overestimated.
  8. JeffM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I must give this film the lowest grade to counter the incredible overpraise it is receiving from artistically clueless users. This film was bland and devoid of visual style. On purpose you say? Yes, probably, but hard to sit through.
  9. JamesM.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I love histor and current events, but this film was dishonest and exploitative. While many of the readers swoon and gush over it with their ridiculous 10 ratings, I find the film extreme in the other direction.
  10. LouisA.
    Jan 20, 2005
    I went to see this with high expectations, but was disappointed with the bland screenplay and listless direction. It could have been a great film, but in the end was a poor imitation of "Schindler's List."
  11. HenryK.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Far from the spectacular film that many users on this forum have indicated. Overated script, performances and technical achievements. A complete bummer!
  12. JohnT.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Best picture of the year? I think not. Actually a film that tries and make you believe events that were not genuine, but dramatic rip-offs from Spielberg's "Schindler's List"
  13. LeaT.
    Jan 20, 2005
    This does not deserve a Best Picture nomination as it exploits and manipulates real-life events to produce a calculated tearjerker.
  14. AaronF.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Do not see "Hotel Rwanda" ever. and by ever i mean never ever. not in theaters and certainly not when it comes out on dvd. do not rent it. do not watch it at a friend's house. if it is ever screened on television...change the channel. now you might be wandering what is so bad about this movie, and to be perfectly honest it wasn't the worst movie i've ever seen Do not see "Hotel Rwanda" ever. and by ever i mean never ever. not in theaters and certainly not when it comes out on dvd. do not rent it. do not watch it at a friend's house. if it is ever screened on television...change the channel. now you might be wandering what is so bad about this movie, and to be perfectly honest it wasn't the worst movie i've ever seen (cough-"Armageddon"-cough), but it was without a doubt one of the most disappointing releases in years. what works me up so much about this particular film's suckage is the buzz surrounding it; three oscar nominations - THREE!! don cheadle was fine, but that was about it. i don't give kudos to performances that beg for them, and this would be such a case. the story that the film explores, the rwandan genocide of 1994, is in itself a captivating subject. however the way in which this conflict is presented in this film plumbs all the depths of my bathroom sink. but the cardinal sin of this clunker is doubtlessly the writing. i might only feel this way because i personally have an interest in screenwriting, and because it is my belief that you can only make a good film if you start with a good screenplay, but in any case, the dialogue and pacing in "Hotel Rwanda" just plain blows. i can't count how many times i rolled my eyes during one of cheadle's characters monologues. i could go on forever but i...i just need to stop. i suppose i'll finish by telling you, the reader, that i really hate this movie because it did have promise. there were moments where i almost felt a twinge of compassion for the characters and events onscreen, and that is why this is the most frustrating release in a long time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    The film presents the Rwandans in the worst possible way: venal, corrupt, vicious, stupid, barbaric and completely incapable of governing themselves. Honestly, I've seen more intelligent and sympathetic depictions of Africans in Tarzan movies.
  2. Cheadle impressively carries the entire picture, delivering the kind of note-perfect performance that's absolutely deserving of Oscar consideration.
    Hotel Rwanda, based on real lives and events, aims unequivocally to break your heart.