Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: December 3, 2004
9.2
Universal acclaim based on 406 Ratings
WATCH NOW
PhillipR.Jul 29, 2008
I am not a film buff and don't normally have much time for watching films, but this one just grabbed me and kept me enthralled. The twists and turns of the story are mesmerizing and the beauty of Mei is captivating. The depiction of the I am not a film buff and don't normally have much time for watching films, but this one just grabbed me and kept me enthralled. The twists and turns of the story are mesmerizing and the beauty of Mei is captivating. The depiction of the Martial Art fighting leaves you in awe, even if a little unbelievable. The closing scenes of fighting and death leave you emotionally drained. Fantastic Expand
2 of 2 users found this helpful
TylerDurden900Jul 9, 2014
House Of Flying Daggers is a gorgeous action movie with sumptuous cinematography and sublime
action sequences. The movie is one of the best martial arts movies made recently. If you don't like the
story, there is always the brilliant action
story, there is always the brilliant action to entertain you.
bobbsywAug 12, 2012
The final fight scene appeared a bit poorly cut-together and took the sheen off an otherwise excellent film. The visuals were truly astounding, and the "echo game" scene must be one of the most amazing pieces of choreography ever filmed.
KilcoeAug 31, 2010
Another pretentious movie made by Zhang. Since Hero, he completed lost everything. The only good thing about this movie is Takeshi Kaneshiro - the ultimate eye candy. He was the only thing that kept me on my seat. The plot does not makeAnother pretentious movie made by Zhang. Since Hero, he completed lost everything. The only good thing about this movie is Takeshi Kaneshiro - the ultimate eye candy. He was the only thing that kept me on my seat. The plot does not make sense, especially in the eyes of Mandarin speaking audiences. Pure Nonsense! Plus cringe-worthy dialogues and the flying daggers ... what an embarrassment, even we (who are so used to unreal martial art sequences) found it too much to bear. Expand
groundfisherApr 1, 2006
Incredibly over-rated. This is a silly movie. About two-thirds of the way through the film the plot is forgotten - and major aspects remain unexplained and unresolved - in favour of a love-story. Because it's merely a love story, the Incredibly over-rated. This is a silly movie. About two-thirds of the way through the film the plot is forgotten - and major aspects remain unexplained and unresolved - in favour of a love-story. Because it's merely a love story, the martial arts scenes lose all meaning and relevance - even the last scene. And the ending is nothing but preposterous. Sure, there are moments of visual beauty, but so what. What's the point of tacking on a somewhat adolescent melodrama? It started well enough, but by the end my companion summed it up using only four letters. Expand
JaceANov 14, 2008
It has beautiful imagery and stunning scenes.
AnonymousMCDec 6, 2004
Simple....the critics are crazy and freaking BLIND. Zhang yimou is obviously cashing in on the current Kungfu-movie-craze, and the critics are stupid enough to rave about it. Im a chinese..and i've seen ALOT of kungfu flicks..and this isSimple....the critics are crazy and freaking BLIND. Zhang yimou is obviously cashing in on the current Kungfu-movie-craze, and the critics are stupid enough to rave about it. Im a chinese..and i've seen ALOT of kungfu flicks..and this is the WORST i've ever seen. this is merely a pretentious piece of junk. Stupid plot (or lack of one), awful acting, boring and cliche fight scenes and most importantly, downright BORING. And if u've been sharp, you'l realise that zhang ziyi gets screwed in EVERY SINGLE movie. She's always acting as a whore...she's way too overrated, and way too irritating. Please, she's far from beautiful (and so is the movie). Absolutely disgraceful to chinese gongfu flicks.... i wish i could spit on zhang yimou. Expand
GarethTaggMay 18, 2005
Amazing scenary & stunning costume design... ...lousy plot, poor acting, little or no continuity & a laughable ending (apparently, I walked out about 30 minutes before the end). For those of you who saw this movie & felt cheated here areAmazing scenary & stunning costume design... ...lousy plot, poor acting, little or no continuity & a laughable ending (apparently, I walked out about 30 minutes before the end). For those of you who saw this movie & felt cheated here are some less flattering quotes from the critics:

"a tedious...excuse for this director to indulge his fetish for digitalized blood and daggers and...immaculately composed nature shots"
-- Jay Antani, L.A. ALTERNATIVE PRESS

"The worst kung fu movie since Sammo Hung's Heart of Dragon."
-- Jeffrey M. Anderson, COMBUSTIBLE CELLULOID

"An outsized and endlessly pretentious romantic action-melodrama, in which the director has clearly lost any sense of moderation or self-discipline."

"Its 2 hour length seems like 3 and the feeling of being cheated by an unending set of directorial switches becomes as inescapable as those boomeranging daggers."
-- Jules Brenner (FC), VARIAGATE.COM

"While Hero leaves you pondering meanings for days, House of Flying Daggers doesn't leave you with anything more than, 'Swords are sharp. Ziyi Zhang is pretty. There sure is a lot of bamboo in China.' "
-- Carlo Cavagna, Aboutfilm.com
oxanaSep 12, 2014
It's been a while since I last watched an Asian movie, so that could be affecting my judgment: still film felt a bit weird, and I don't know why.

Essentially this was a story of love, betrayal, and making choices. Choosing your path, even if it won't lead to lasting happiness. To be a carefree wind - or a playful, teasing wind. To stop for someone, or to go on.

This movie had fighting scenes just as expected, but while beautiful and artistic, they felt a bit hollow, and were at times hard to keep up with.

Altogether the story was easy to follow, the characters intriguing and deep. Seeing Takeshi Kaneshiro and Zhang Ziyi together in a same movie was awesome, and Andy Lau wasn't bad either.

The heavy stuff started only near the end, with the fateful, slightly drawn-out battle of two men who once were friends, but falling for the same woman (among other things) drives them against each other.

A good story, beautiful clothes, colors and design, but somehow this left me wanting for more. Maybe I will watch this another time again and be more at ease with it.
PatC.May 4, 2006
The film starts as a political confrontation between government and rebel interests, but no one is who they seem, and through many plot twists the story converts into a romantic confrontation between love and freedom interests. A Mata Hari The film starts as a political confrontation between government and rebel interests, but no one is who they seem, and through many plot twists the story converts into a romantic confrontation between love and freedom interests. A Mata Hari kind of thing. But unlike a Hollywood romance, the characters all realize they are expendable, that no one cares whether they live or die. In the confines of this oriental mindset they find a way to make their obscurity empowering, which is interesting though perhaps not memorable. The martial arts action is precise but reeks of improbability. The most remarkable thing by far in this project is its attention to the art of the photoplay. Every scene is lush in color and light and finely crafted with the meticulousness of an impressionistic painting. As a feast of visual splendor for those with an eye for art, this is a wonderful movie. Expand
sammyJan 8, 2006
A beautiful film, one of the best martial arts films I've seen.
sOct 22, 2005
Just remarkable... The action and romance were pefectly balanced and like all Chinese movies, it ended in tragedy and kept you thinking. Cool action, great storyline, a movie to rival Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
JeffRobinsonFeb 10, 2005
I loved this movie the twist the humor about julia robers i dont know why somone would not like this movie the stealing the cheating its great its a 100 movie in my book, 2 thumbs up. It had me thinking throught the whole thing i lovedI loved this movie the twist the humor about julia robers i dont know why somone would not like this movie the stealing the cheating its great its a 100 movie in my book, 2 thumbs up. It had me thinking throught the whole thing i loved Oceans Twelve Expand
joseo.Sep 27, 2005
Astonishing.
ShellJan 16, 2006
Story was weak, would have done better with filming a documentary on dagger throwing. 'Hero' is much better.
GnarlesFeb 12, 2006
The first 90 minutes or so are simply great, but the climax eventually becomes almost unbearably silly - and the alarmingly fake CGI snowstorm doesn't help. Until that point, though, this is a beautiful and satisfyingly passionate The first 90 minutes or so are simply great, but the climax eventually becomes almost unbearably silly - and the alarmingly fake CGI snowstorm doesn't help. Until that point, though, this is a beautiful and satisfyingly passionate movie, with some of the best fight scenes ever shot (especially the bamboo forest). Recommended, but don't be surprised if you find yourself laughing at the end. Expand
ReikonAug 12, 2006
Best of his genre.
theop.Oct 4, 2005
A really good martial arts film that doesn't revolve around martial arts. flying daggers is the best film of it's genre since Crouching tiger, hidden dragon (hero came close). Though it is really a soap opera like love story with A really good martial arts film that doesn't revolve around martial arts. flying daggers is the best film of it's genre since Crouching tiger, hidden dragon (hero came close). Though it is really a soap opera like love story with fighting sequences, it has great acting. Expand
DeniseG.Sep 30, 2007
a beautiful film with jaw dropping action & achingly tender love scenes. The scenery is stunning.
KastusLJul 26, 2008
Poetic in every scene, in every touche, in every voice. Unbelievably how Zhang can create this? Like picture of Rembrandt in movie.
VidM.Nov 10, 2005
Solid. Not worth seeing a second time though. In the same vein as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero. A couple good fight scenes, nothing awesome enough to warrant any more detail than that. The love story is predictable and falls kinda flat.
NoneAug 29, 2005
It sucked. The beginning was alright, with beautiful sceanary/costume designs but the plot was simply unreal.
GazFeb 28, 2006
Simply beautiful. A love story that breaks the stereotypical dimensions of the mainstream Western cinema, and in doing so, expresses that romance on a far greater and physical level. Far better than other easily predictable romances, it Simply beautiful. A love story that breaks the stereotypical dimensions of the mainstream Western cinema, and in doing so, expresses that romance on a far greater and physical level. Far better than other easily predictable romances, it thereby deserves a higher mark. Expand
JBAug 11, 2006
It's a good story with great acting, that actually does the reverse of what most stories do: it starts out on a grand scale (rebels vs. government) and then focuses inward on a smaller scale (character devotions vs. personal It's a good story with great acting, that actually does the reverse of what most stories do: it starts out on a grand scale (rebels vs. government) and then focuses inward on a smaller scale (character devotions vs. personal responsibility). Luckily for us, HoFD is one of very few films that does this well. I would rate this higher than Hero. Expand
imthenoobMar 18, 2012
I really liked it but the only problems I had with the film is that it failed to show what happend to the rebel group (House of the Flying Daggers) and the action scenes could have been better. Still a solid film though, Definently worth the watch.
EpicLadySpongeMay 3, 2016
Makes China look like a magnificent place to visit and also makes China look like a memory for everyone who's been there or lives there no matter what, in any coincidence, were you forced to be there for any reason.
CalibMcBoltsMay 30, 2016
This is such a silly movie, about halfway through the film the plot is forgotten and substituted for a melodramatic love triangle that no one cares about, major aspects remain unexplained and unresolved, all in favor of a love story.This is such a silly movie, about halfway through the film the plot is forgotten and substituted for a melodramatic love triangle that no one cares about, major aspects remain unexplained and unresolved, all in favor of a love story.

''House of Flying Daggers'' is merely a love story, the martial arts scenes lose all meaning and relevance, even the 'epic' finale. THe ending is nothing but preposterous. Sure, there are moments of visual and emotional beauty, but all is lost when the interesting plot, that is setup in the first half, gets thrown out of the window in favor of a love story...

''House of Flying Daggers'' feauture some amazing scenary, stunning costume design and lavish cinematography -- But also a lousy plot, poor acting (except maybe the finale), little continuity and a laughable ending. It's 2 hour run time almost feels like 3 and the feeling of being cheated by an unedning set of directorial switches becomes as inescapable as tose boomeranging daggers.

While ''Hero'' (a different film by the same director, which truly IS a masterpiece) leaves you pondering meanings for days, ''House of Flying Daggers'' doesnt leave you with anything more than, ''Swords are sharp, Ziyi Zhang is pretty. There sure is a lot of bamboo in China.''