8.4

1. Jun 13, 2014
    This is a very good film, but for me it lost the charm of the original. Typically, sequels to an animated movie end up being trash, but this film doesn't follow that trend. As a sequel, it has more dragons that are very interesting and cool looking. The action, graphics and overall story in the film are great as well! I'm very happy with the progress of the main characters, and it reallyThis is a very good film, but for me it lost the charm of the original. Typically, sequels to an animated movie end up being trash, but this film doesn't follow that trend. As a sequel, it has more dragons that are very interesting and cool looking. The action, graphics and overall story in the film are great as well! I'm very happy with the progress of the main characters, and it really sets up the 3rd film well. Where I was turned off, was the constant need to force Toothless into doing cute actions. In the first film, Toothless had a genuine cuteness to him, but in the sequel it was overdone and quite frankly became distracting. For example, there would be some important dialogue between characters, and then Toothless would be doing something in the background... I guess they put this is for the kiddies who could care less about what's going on in the story, but as an adult, I care about the characters and the challenges they're trying to overcome... but I couldn't focus on what they were saying with how distracting Toothless became during those scenes. Also, I really liked the rag-tag bunch of Hiccups friends in the first film. They were a ton of fun, but in the sequel, they didn't have the same impact. Astrid as Hiccups girlfriend is boring, and Snotlout, Fishlegs, Tuffnut were not really funny. Ruffnut was definitely the best of the group, but her "joke" quickly ran its course, when they used it over and over again. Other than the many distractions from Toothless and the lack of fun from Hiccup's group of friends, this movie was a fantastic sequel. I will recommend it to all families and feel like it's a great challenger to Lego Movie for best animated film of the year. Expand
  2. Jun 23, 2014
    Just finished watching HTTYD2. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Best animated i have seen so far

___ -Visual, Best visual for a Animation I had seen so far, Every dragon has a really interesting art design, they detailed every bits of the dragon and make it look realistic. I think even better than any Pixar movie visuals yet, i think... -Story plot, though the concept felt abit same as the first

___

-Story plot, though the concept felt abit same as the first one, but its still really great that every seconds count and you never want to even leave your seats for a toilet break, kids will learn alot of life lessons out of it and not only kids, but everyone too will defiantly enjoy it.

-Voice, also quite a really good job, but i think there's still room for improvement

-Soundtrack, Yes Yes Yes Yes, Really holy Amazing, i love every bit of it. each track works really well in their part and The ending song by Jonsi is my favorite among them all.

-Character, Is good as always, showing every character background really well and made them really interesting to the audience.

Overall, Best Animated yet i have seen so far, from anyone young to old, movie lovers, or everyone, its a movie that you wouldn't want to miss
    (oh the 3D is something you wouldn't want to miss )

Score: 5/5
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    The storytelling in this movie is really bad, the emotional elements like loss, sacrifice etc are just dealt with on a very superficial, bad tv style level, there are a lot of plotholes. The dragons are cute, though, but I feel this is one of the animated movies that drags the genre down instead of lifting it up.
  4. Nov 10, 2014
    While it lacks the 'wow factor' as it's predecessor, How To Train Your Dragon 2 retains the emotion, fun and brains of it to spur another Dreamworks hit.
  5. Dec 13, 2014
    What a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock. In fact, now that I look at it, DWA peaked at $35.19 on 12/30/13 and yesterday closed at $21.75, down 38% in under a year. That's in the face of aWhat a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock. In fact, now that I look at it, DWA peaked at $35.19 on 12/30/13 and yesterday closed at $21.75, down 38% in under a year. That's in the face of a stock market UP 36.6% over the same period. Clearly their market has grown up but they haven't. Too bad! Expand
  6. Jun 16, 2014
    For starters, “How to Train Your Dragon 2” has a very mature and rich story that is filled with emotional and dramatic depth. It grows our characters from the first film and really feels like a continuation of the series and not just some cash grab. We see how Berk has changed and how the lives of everyone on the island has become better, I really love how the film tackles darker subjectFor starters, “How to Train Your Dragon 2” has a very mature and rich story that is filled with emotional and dramatic depth. It grows our characters from the first film and really feels like a continuation of the series and not just some cash grab. We see how Berk has changed and how the lives of everyone on the island has become better, I really love how the film tackles darker subject matter like remorse, forgiveness, and redemption, while at the same time touching on themes of love and loss. The screenplay is filled with moments of pure heart and we really see the bond between Hiccup and Toothless expanded upon. Not only is this a great screenplay, but also Dreamworks’ best since the original “Shrek.”

The characters and voice actors are perfect. I love how the characters have grown and their personalities have been enhanced. Hiccup takes a more proactive role in this film and we really see that he’s matured a lot from the first film. His and Toothless’ relationship is expanded on and it really is still the core emotional center of the film. The side characters like Astrid and Snotlout get more screen time this time around and they actually do more with the film. They aid with the comic relief to keep the movie a little lighter than the extremely dark tone that it’s going for. There are a few new characters introduced into the universe like Valka, Eret, and Drago Bludvist. Valka is a great character and she’s another great female addition to the roster. She has a great emotional ark and not only that, she is a strong character and a better dragon master than Hiccup that really holds her own. Eret is a nice addition to the cast as he is also comic relief, but also a interest side villain character. Drago is a fantastic villain and is really a cold hearted murderer. His method of mastering dragons really differs from Hiccups and its a great contrast that shows the different types of people that are in this world. I love how they build him up before actually revealing him.

The animation and visuals are probably amongst the best I’ve seen from any CGI film to date. It is just breathtakingly gorgeous. The character’s movements are so fluid and each character has their own way of moving. What I found really impressive is the facial animation. There are so many intimate moments in this film that require no dialogue and we can sense exactly what the characters are thinking from their expressions. There is always something happening in the foreground as well as the background and it’s unlike anything that I’ve seen before in the medium. Characters could be taking in front of the camera, but in the background there could be an epic battle taking place. There is a lot to take in, but the director, Dean DeBlois, knows how to balance the visuals with well paced story. The layout and environment are also quite impressive. Every blade of grass, powder of snow, and water particles are just amazing to look at.

The score from John Powell impresses again and really enhances the already great score of the series. It’s bombastic, epic, touching, and moving. There is something about the score that really makes the film so much better than it already is. I was literally left in tears because of the score and how beautiful it is.

I’m gonna come out and say it. “How to Train Your Dragon 2” is a MASTERPIECE amongst modern films and a revolution in animation. It is a film that is going to push animation further and allow the medium to be taken more seriously. For a major studio production, it goes to places that the medium has only thought of, but couldn’t really pull it off because of limitations set by studios and audiences alike. It is almost a near perfect film and I award it the highest 5/5 that I can.
  7. Jun 18, 2014
    Story:
    Story:
    Five years after the Viking village of Berk has made peace with the dragons, dragons now live amongst the villagers as working animals and companions. But when someone wants to control all the dragons, it's up to Hiccup and the gang to stop him. The film has been getting a TON of praise from critics, so much that I decided to finally begin reviewing animated films (Will eventually go to other genres). Whereas the 1st film's story revolved around Hiccup as he tries to earn the respect of his father and fellow villagers, along with developing a relationship with Toothless, the 2nd film focuses on Hiccup's family and the dangers that Drago Bludvist has on the dragons. To me, I don't see what the critics are talking about when it comes to the story being refreshing and original since it does have some problems. The story here is by-the-books: (To avoid as much spoilers as possible, I won't reveal anything important) Hiccup learns about Drago, Drago does evil things, Hiccup meets Drago and tries to solve the problem without violence, Drago does more evil things, Hiccup has to stop Drago in the end leading into a final action scene. The story here is nothing new and amazing as critics seem to say, and since this is one of those animated films that centers around its story and characters (as in their contributions to the plot) while also having a serious tone, having a cliched story actually hurts the film more than it would in something like Madagascar or Rio. In fact, the story in the 1st film to me felt better than here mostly because of Hiccup's great chemistry with some of the characters. Overall, the story is receiving more praise than it deserves. 6/10

Animation:
    This is the film's biggest strength as the animation here is spectacular. The backgrounds look stunning, the textures are great, the character designs are well made, the environments vary from snowy mountains, to lush flora, to ice-y terrain, and Berk. Another impressive thing was the variety of dragons. There were at least 30 different kinds of dragons seen, and each one looks like they have their own unique feature that makes them special. You can easily make an encyclopedia on all the dragons here. But the most incredible thing about the animation were the action scenes, especially with some "Alpha" dragons fighting in the background. Definitely watch this movie in 3D or IMAX if you can. 10/10

Characters and Comedy:
    As said, to me the 1st film made better use of the characters than here. I'll say that Hiccup's relationship with his father Stoick and his mother Valka make for some of the more heartwarming moments in the film. Dreamworks did add in some emotional scenes here as things happen to Hiccup, and it's great to see him change throughout the film because of those actions. His bond with Toothless also serves as another highlight to the film. His scenes with his family and Toothless are some of the best moments in the film. As for all the returning characters, they don't serve much of a purpose in the film outside of mere comic relief. I'm even disappointed that Dreamworks didn't expand Astrid and Hiccup's relationship seeing as how they're a couple now. Astrid just follows what all the side characters do now. As for the villain, Drago is your standard-dark dressing, eye-slashed, gritty-voiced villain who doesn't have an interesting backstory or goal. He wants to control all the dragons. So original. As for comedy, the returning side characters are mostly comic relief, so with them and Toothless, you'll find some nice comedy sprinkled here and there amidst all the action and conflicts. It's clear that Dreamworks focused more on Hiccup, his family, and Toothless more than their returning characters and villain. 7/10

Sound:
    John Powell does an incredible job with this score incorporating a more "epic" fantasy feel to the film. The score ends up immersing you into this fictional world that Dreamworks created. They even added a song to the mix. It features Hiccup's mom and dad singing a song they hold dear to them, and it's a nice addition to an already incredible score. Oh, and the sound effects here are fine, especially in the action scenes. 10/10

Acting and Casting:
    All the performances here are great but if there's one thing I have to complain about, it would be Jay Baruchel's voice for Hiccup. Watch the movie and find out why. I also feel they didn't use Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse to their full potential. But the acting is still great and the casting is fine. 8/10

Verdict:
    This film although great, is sort of overrated when it comes to praise. This is mostly because of the flaws in the story and some of the characters. But the animation and score are what makes this film soar over Frozen and The Lego Movie. This is my pick for best animated feature of the year.....for now.

Extra:
    +1 for being a sequel I enjoyed.

Rating: 9/10
  8. Jun 25, 2014
    This sequel takes place 5 years later, when brave Hiccup and his dragon have united their species in harmony. Then comes a villain who wants to enslave them all. The plot and dialogue are pretty mundane, the characters lack any spark or originality, but the animation is lovely. There's too much dialogue for young audiences, but enough action sprinkled throughout to entertain. Overall, anThis sequel takes place 5 years later, when brave Hiccup and his dragon have united their species in harmony. Then comes a villain who wants to enslave them all. The plot and dialogue are pretty mundane, the characters lack any spark or originality, but the animation is lovely. There's too much dialogue for young audiences, but enough action sprinkled throughout to entertain. Overall, an uninspired and unspecial followup. (I don't understand why several of the Vikings in this village have Scottish accents.) Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised by how great this film was! In fact, this sequel performed the rare stunt of being equally as good, if not, better than its predecessor! While it does return to some of the familiar concepts from the first, it even offers a lot of new things as well. There's more action, excitement, emotion, you name it! I was definitely entertained from start to finish! Overall,I was pleasantly surprised by how great this film was! In fact, this sequel performed the rare stunt of being equally as good, if not, better than its predecessor! While it does return to some of the familiar concepts from the first, it even offers a lot of new things as well. There's more action, excitement, emotion, you name it! I was definitely entertained from start to finish! Overall, this was a very worthy and groundbreaking sequel to an already great first movie! If you loved the first, then don't hesitate to see this one! Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2014
    I didn't think that a sequel to a movie could be better than the original. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. Everything about this film works to improve on the first. The graphic design seems much more colorful this time around. The level of detail is astounding. The voice actors are just as spectacular, especially Cate Blanchet as Valka. Most importantly, the mood and emotion has becomeI didn't think that a sequel to a movie could be better than the original. I'm glad to say that I was wrong. Everything about this film works to improve on the first. The graphic design seems much more colorful this time around. The level of detail is astounding. The voice actors are just as spectacular, especially Cate Blanchet as Valka. Most importantly, the mood and emotion has become much more adult, resulting in the movie appealing to more ages. I have seen this movie twice already. I may even see it again, because it is just that good. Expand
  11. Jun 14, 2014
    As soon as the movie started I could tell something was off. The only character that expressed any real emotion was Toothless, everyone else seemed so lifeless. During most of the dialogue the characters mouths moved and words came out, but they were so inexpressive it didn't feel like they were actually living characters with something to say. The entire film lacked in humor and had lessAs soon as the movie started I could tell something was off. The only character that expressed any real emotion was Toothless, everyone else seemed so lifeless. During most of the dialogue the characters mouths moved and words came out, but they were so inexpressive it didn't feel like they were actually living characters with something to say. The entire film lacked in humor and had less charm than a single frame of a Disney or Pixar film. This was disappointing because I quite enjoyed the first one. Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2014
    Much, much better then the original one. That's it. YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT THIS MOVIE IS!!!! GO SEE IT NOWWWWWW!!!!!! DON'T WASTE MY TIME, GO WATCH IT!!
  13. Jun 13, 2014
    The overall fell is darker and much more mature, which is a good thing, especially with the 5 years gap. The animation, is unsurprisingly gorgeous, so is the production design. The action, by cinematography standpoint, is majestic and epic. But one has to expect, with all of those nice additions, you will get something less, especially the story and character developments. Other thing toThe overall fell is darker and much more mature, which is a good thing, especially with the 5 years gap. The animation, is unsurprisingly gorgeous, so is the production design. The action, by cinematography standpoint, is majestic and epic. But one has to expect, with all of those nice additions, you will get something less, especially the story and character developments. Other thing to regret, how under-mixed the beautiful score by John Powell is in the movie, makes the scene anti-climax. Overall, a nice sequel, but just that, not more Expand
  14. Jun 19, 2014
    How to train your dragon 2 is amazing, one of the best animation movies I have ever seen, It will surprise you in all the ways! The movie is funny and exciting at the same time. I think I never seen a sequence of a animation movie as good as that.
  15. Jun 29, 2014
    This movie is boring has no clear plot or character development it try's to cash in on the original.
    It's just a bad movie. I don't know what else to say without spoilers.
  16. Jun 19, 2014
    absolutely amazing! i can't believe how much i loved "How To Train Your Dragon 2"! cause i did went into this movie excited, but i was also worried if it was gonna screw up like usual sequels do. i was so wrong! "How To Train Your Dragon 2" is everything a good sequel should be. first of all, it's absolutely gorgeous! and the best part: it takes the incredible animation of the first movie,absolutely amazing! i can't believe how much i loved "How To Train Your Dragon 2"! cause i did went into this movie excited, but i was also worried if it was gonna screw up like usual sequels do. i was so wrong! "How To Train Your Dragon 2" is everything a good sequel should be. first of all, it's absolutely gorgeous! and the best part: it takes the incredible animation of the first movie, makes it even better and takes it to the next level. the flying scenes in this movie are incredibly stunning! like they're flying around and the camera's following them, it was so beautiful and it felt like i was up there with them. and i saw it in 3D, so my mind was literally blown away. and the CGI in this movie's definitely top notch! like there's this shot of a piece of land and a ship. it's a far away shot that looked so great, i was like "It looks like live action. This looks like a live action movie". but aside from the incredible animation, deep down this movie's something even more. it takes the characters we all loved in the first one to the next level, just like a good sequel should do. ya know in the first movie, Hiccup was the boy, the boy who found a dragon. in HTTYD 2, he has to become the man, the chief of Berk. this reminded of "The Lion King" or "The Empire Strikes Back". i walked outta the movie like "This is probably "The Lion King" or "The Empire Strikes Back" of this generation". the action's exciting, the comedy's hilarious and it has fantastic emotions. i actually cried like 3 times in "How To Train Your Dragon 2". this movie's not just for kids, it's also for adults. i mean, adults are gonna love this movie, cause there are themes that really hit them, and kids are gonna love the movie cause it's a fun and exciting action/fantasy movie with incredible animation and awesome dragons. and when they grow up, they'll start to understand the darker themes and emotional aspects the movie was going for, and they'll appreciate it even more. that's what i call a good sequel! another one of the great highlights in the movie, it's the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. to Hiccup, Toothless's a lot more than just a pet dragon. he's Hiccup's best friend and they really show how complex the emotional bond between a person and an animal can really be. it was perfect in that sense. the only small gripe i got with the movie, it's that Drago could've been a little better as the villain. don't get me wrong, he's still a great new character and the movie does make him better as it goes. it's just that, when he first showed up, i was like "This guy feels kinda weak". that's just a small gripe, it's not enough to bring the movie down. honestly, i can't think of anything bad in "How To Train Your Dragon 2". it's the best animated sequel from DreamWorks we have, since "Kung Fu Panda 2". Dean DeBlois, i really hope you win the Oscar for this movie. you definitely deserve it! you gave us one of the best sequels in a really long time. i'm telling ya, Dean DeBlois knows what he's doing in every movie he makes. he gave us "How To Train Your Dragon 1" which was amazing. now, he gives us "How To Train Your Dragon 2" which is even better. i'm really excited for "How To Train Your Dragon 3", but i don't know how they're gonna top this one. this is the BEST animated movie of the year, and probably one of the best animated movies in a really long time. so, if you haven't seen it yet, go watch it. i swear to you, you're gonna love it.

17. Jun 22, 2014
    I loved part 2. Instead of a bland copy of the first story, this sequel continued and advanced the plot. It had complex character development and a true "coming of age" story for the main characters. It is one of the few cartoon sequels that actually AT LEAST lives up to the original!
  18. Jun 22, 2014
    For those parents growing more and more weary each day of yet another screening of FROZEN this movie is for you! This movie will be one you won't mind seeing over and over again in the theatre or at home. We are late in the game and just saw the 1st movie and loved it but 2 was thrilling, funny, pulled at your heart, the whole package. Defintely more mature story line but had just enoughFor those parents growing more and more weary each day of yet another screening of FROZEN this movie is for you! This movie will be one you won't mind seeing over and over again in the theatre or at home. We are late in the game and just saw the 1st movie and loved it but 2 was thrilling, funny, pulled at your heart, the whole package. Defintely more mature story line but had just enough comic relief. I have a 3 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl and both were hanging off the edge of their seats and eyes were glued on the screen the entire time (which is a feat for them both). As a parent, one of the best kids movies I have seen in a long time. This is one you want too see on the big screen!!!! Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2014
    While it isn't as groundbreaking as it's predecessor, How To Train Your Dragon 2 retains the emotion, fun and brains of it to spur another Dreamworks hit.
  20. Aug 4, 2014
    Decent animation! I'm not going to spoil anything! You may like it but trust me it's really not that good as everyone say. 5/10 is the only true rating for this movie
  21. Sep 5, 2014
    I think that them killing of the father lowered my experience of this movie to horrible. It would have been much better movie if the king would have survived. The director needs to get fired and work at mcdonalds.
  22. Sep 7, 2014
    Quite simply one the better movies I have seen in a long time. Saw How to Train Your Dragon 1 and couldn't wait for the 2nd to come out, it delivered and more.

You know a movie is good when you root for the heroes, boo the villains, and react strongly to emotional parts of the plot. A+
  23. Sep 15, 2014
    How to train your dragon 2 is the best film ever made!! i could well can and have watched it like everyday! no where near boring i love the film, the first one was brilliant also!!! i hope for a third
  24. Oct 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good film, takes a different approach from the original but continues the story of Hiccup and Toothless. I just want to say this movie is FULL of FEELS. Tense and dramatic moments that will make you saddened of obstacles that come between relationships, you may shed a tear or more, I know I did. Around the beginning the movie builds up, but ends with dramatic and large-scaled events that affect everyone, not just the main characters. I give this movie a 9/10 . Flawless animation that are fluid and charming. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a pretty bad movie. First of all, the audience targeted was poorly executed. They tried to make it for kids and adults, but kind of failed. The dark and violent atmosphere vs. the random cartoon guy you all love! The one part that really made me hate it was the stupid idea to kill off Hiccup's dad right after he got reunited with his wife he hadn't seen in years. It reminds me of the insane, unnecessary plot twists and drama in Downton Abbey, which was terrible. Expand
  26. Jan 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Five years have passed since the events of the first movie and we're already thrown into how much Berk has changed since then and how much more of a community it feels with the presence of dragons. Things such as Dragon Racing at Berk are fun to watch and it's nice to see all the different ways in which dragons have come to use and how everyone has become adapted to being around them. Hiccup's new inventions were very cool; kudos to the filmmakers for coming up with those very nifty ideas.

One of the things that struck me at first was how beautiful the film looked; the visuals and animation were vastly improved on the first and characters, dragons and scenery looked and felt more alive than ever. There's a lot of attention to detail such as small character quirks and Toothless playing about in the background with other dragons. That being said though, having dragons pop in and out of frame in the background is overdone by just a touch and distracts from important dialogue and events occurring in the foreground.

The introduction of Hiccup's mother in the movie feels a little too rushed; I thought that maybe she would have been brought in in the third film. Furthermore, the little mention of Hiccup's mother earlier on in the film takes away from the surprise of the reveal. However, it's nice to see the two finally get to bond, Hiccup discovering that he takes a lot from his mother, and the reunion with the whole family, when Stoick stumbles across his wife, is very heartwarming indeed. "You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." - this may or may not have brought a tear to my eye...

The moment when the film begins to lose its balance, and almost ejects you from the immersion is when Drago Bludvist, the antagonist, is given very little build-up, despite the mystery surrounding the character at the beginning of the story, and is suddenly seen launching an attack on the dragon home inhabited by Valka, Hiccup's mother. The remainder of the film at this point feels rushed, as if the filmmakers realised they'd forgotten about the threat they'd introduced at the start of the film. I wasn't entirely convinced that Drago was a menacing villain, despite his plans and actions in the film, and the filmmakers hit a bit of a sour note on making the antagonist black, something a little cliché in animated films and just a little bit racist too.

The battle at this point in the movie feels a little too reminiscent of the final battle in the first installment, making it hard not to draw comparisons between the two. Stoick's death was emotional but I expected a greater reaction from everyone else, especially Hiccup and Valka as they'd just lost the chance of being reunited as a family. Having Stoick killed off and Valka there to 'take his place' as a parent for Hiccup just seemed a little too convenient.

I felt a little disappointed with the climax and ending; though it regarded more the connection between Toothless and Hiccup, the final battle at Berk was a little too short for my liking. Other than Hiccup becoming chieftain and taking his father's mantle, the ending just makes it feel like not much had happened, that there wasn't much of a lesson to learn and that there was little difference between the beginning and end events of the film.

Though I don't mind the emphasis put on the relationship between Hiccup, his mother and his father, I feel that other characters weren't developed enough and that some of them were merely there for comic relief. The changes made to Astrid felt a little off; yes, you can tell that it's meant to be the same Astrid from the first film and yes, five years have passed but the character's appearance and characterisation is softened and a little watered down from the strong character that she was in the predecessor. It felt like she was only there to be the established 'love interest' who we don't really get to learn much more about. Eret, the dragon trapper and a new character to the series, was one of the only other characters who had sufficient development and subsequently had believable motivations.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 is a good film and is worth the watch, carrying a lot of heart and is guaranteed to make you smile, laugh and maybe even break into tears but the sequel loses its footing with a story that rushes itself in its second half and fails to develop characters as it did with its predecessor.
  27. Jun 13, 2014
    It's One of those DreamWorks Animation movies yet again another green range since the first, First and second Shrek, megamind and puss in boots. These Dragons and people are even funnier. Even when some other girl falls in love with a villain. Another Masterpiece by Fox and DreamWorks.! Great Job who ever director! Be sure to look out for an Special Trailer for the new DreamWorks Movie:It's One of those DreamWorks Animation movies yet again another green range since the first, First and second Shrek, megamind and puss in boots. These Dragons and people are even funnier. Even when some other girl falls in love with a villain. Another Masterpiece by Fox and DreamWorks.! Great Job who ever director! Be sure to look out for an Special Trailer for the new DreamWorks Movie: Penguins of Madagascar! Coming Soon in 3D! Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2014
    Easily the Best Animated Feature of the year and Best Summer Film. Dreamworks usually takes the backseat and strides behind Pixar but with How to Train Your Dragon 2 they might have a winning formula to overcome the hurdles. What is really great about HWTYD2 are the script and characters. The script is moving and digs deep about life, death and overcoming all odds. The cinematography,Easily the Best Animated Feature of the year and Best Summer Film. Dreamworks usually takes the backseat and strides behind Pixar but with How to Train Your Dragon 2 they might have a winning formula to overcome the hurdles. What is really great about HWTYD2 are the script and characters. The script is moving and digs deep about life, death and overcoming all odds. The cinematography, score and graphics are gorgeous and helps evoke the emotions of the film. Expand
  29. Jun 16, 2014
    The first installment should have won the Oscar for best animated picture. This one should win for sure. The 3D is excellent, the animation is excellent. It's also well written and funny. The detail is amazing. An all around entertaining film.
  30. Jun 29, 2014
    Beautifully animated and astoundingly designed, this is never- the- less let down by a so so story line that is unwieldy, over indulgent and finally quite boring. It's a shame because the first film was such a surprise. Alas, there in lies the key. The first film was quite fresh. This sequel may not necessarily be re-hashing events, but the spark of originality has gone. Aside from theBeautifully animated and astoundingly designed, this is never- the- less let down by a so so story line that is unwieldy, over indulgent and finally quite boring. It's a shame because the first film was such a surprise. Alas, there in lies the key. The first film was quite fresh. This sequel may not necessarily be re-hashing events, but the spark of originality has gone. Aside from the afore mentioned pluses only the score adds any further distinction. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jul 8, 2014
    Hats off to Dreamworks for offering some bold surprises in a respectable sequel filled with moments of humour and emotion among its ample noise and movement.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Jul 7, 2014
    At times terrifying and too tough for tinies, this is nevertheless a triumphant sequel that puts its faith in Hiccup and Toothless to find a way through dark times for man and dragon. Until we all get our own dragon to go flying with, the result is a story sufficiently thrilling to have us all airborne.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jun 13, 2014
    Director Dean DeBlois has been saying this installment is the middle movie in a How to Train Your Dragon trilogy. It's clear that he took inspiration from the first Star Wars trilogy — not a bad model for breathing new life, and yes, a bit of fire, into one of Hollywood's more nuanced animated franchises.