8.8

1. Apr 7, 2015
    how to train your dragon is a good film. the reason way the father and son thing works in here and not other movies is because the father goes back and father like a normal person. and is not just ignoring this son.
  2. Mar 27, 2015
    The first in what may be Dreamworks Animation's best tentpole franchise, "How To Train Your Dragon" is highlighted by elaborately majestic flight sequences, infinitely entertaining vocal performances, and one of the most invigorating animated film scores this side of "The Incredibles."
  3. Jan 17, 2015
    Although the third act felt somewhat rushed, How to Train Your Dragon is one of the few animations that can resonate with children and adults. The animation is beautiful, the characters are well-developed and likable, and Hiccup is just the most damn relatable character ever.

8.6/10
  4. Dec 29, 2014
    How to Train Your Dragon is an emotional and funny tale about a friendship that's charming and genuine. Combine this with beautiful animation, some magnificent flying sequence, and a fascinating final battle, and you've got one of Dreamworks' best films.
  5. Oct 25, 2014
    Esta película tiene muchos clichés que se han visto un millón de veces, sin embargo aquí los manejan bien. Aquí siempre que pasa algo se siente una emoción muy real, siempre que hay alguien celoso se ve que esta celoso, si esta triste se ve triste, manejan los clichés con personajes que se sienten humanos, medievales y algo infantiles pero es por la época y la cantidad de edad requeridaEsta película tiene muchos clichés que se han visto un millón de veces, sin embargo aquí los manejan bien. Aquí siempre que pasa algo se siente una emoción muy real, siempre que hay alguien celoso se ve que esta celoso, si esta triste se ve triste, manejan los clichés con personajes que se sienten humanos, medievales y algo infantiles pero es por la época y la cantidad de edad requerida para verla. No hay mucho que decir, no vallas a verla con grandes expectativas. Le doy un 06/10 esta bien, pero, al final los clichés no dejan que suba la calificación. Expand
  6. Oct 13, 2014
    A film so enjoyable it feels like it has the stamp of Pixar on it. The main character is kinda' wimpy and feels like a re-hash of a certain character we've seen before, but it does distract the story, cool visuals, and some of the best flying scenes you'll see in a movie.
  7. Sep 16, 2014
    An emotional, but great movie, capturing the importance of trust and friendship and how it can bring peace to different populations. Favorite animated movie so far!
  8. Sep 3, 2014
    The first DreamWorks film that surpasses Pixar in terms of emotional depth and visual quality, How To Train Your Dragon could arguably be the best animated film of all time. With a mature, thoughtful plotline, stunning animation, and timeless characters, this feature rises out of the 'children's animation' genre. And let's not forget John Powell's absolutely breath-taking soundtrack, whichThe first DreamWorks film that surpasses Pixar in terms of emotional depth and visual quality, How To Train Your Dragon could arguably be the best animated film of all time. With a mature, thoughtful plotline, stunning animation, and timeless characters, this feature rises out of the 'children's animation' genre. And let's not forget John Powell's absolutely breath-taking soundtrack, which adds that extra dimension to a marvellous movie. A must-see for all the family. Expand
  9. Sep 1, 2014
    “How to train your dragon” is the story of a furious dragon, Toothless, and a genius dragon fighter, Hiccup. Dragons constantly raid Hiccup's town, steal the live stock, and set the houses on fire. Hiccup's father is leader of the town, a legendary dragon fighter, and Hiccups role model. Hiccup craves to be like his father but he lacks the essential skills to fight dragons. He is clumsy,“How to train your dragon” is the story of a furious dragon, Toothless, and a genius dragon fighter, Hiccup. Dragons constantly raid Hiccup's town, steal the live stock, and set the houses on fire. Hiccup's father is leader of the town, a legendary dragon fighter, and Hiccups role model. Hiccup craves to be like his father but he lacks the essential skills to fight dragons. He is clumsy, cowardly, and weak. Still he relentlessly practices to become a dragon fighter even though nobody takes him seriously.

“How to train your dragon” is the story of a young boy searching for his identity; searching for who he wants to be and how to become it. It is a story of perseverance. It shows when traditions and conventions are hindering you, they should be changed or abandoned. When Hiccup fails to become a dragon fighter by following the traditional and conventional methods, he questions their authenticity, meticulously examines them, refines them, or even completely rejects them and devises new unorthodox ways. The myths fascinate him in the fantasy world but do not blind him in the real world.

“How to train your dragon” is full of sublime messages and themes but it is not a heavy handed movie for the elite. Quite conversely, it is an extraordinarily fun movie to watch, a movie that even toddlers can enjoy. The graphic design is phenomenal, soundtracks are captivating, dialogues are fluid and seamless, and it has a remarkable story to tell. This is indeed one of the best achievements in the history of animations.
  10. Aug 24, 2014
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

A sweet, somewhat predictable tale of a boy with an unusual name who keeps disappointing his father and fellow Vikings with his unconvincing appearance, yet manages to herald a new age for his entire community. The movie begins on a grim note: battles and destruction are at the forefront of the action, and a certain degree of violence persistently cling to most of
    Strong 3 1/2 stars.

The movie begins on a grim note: battles and destruction are at the forefront of the action, and a certain degree of violence persistently cling to most of the movie. However, it manages to elevate the story from childish dreamland to something a little more concrete, and makes the tale of people and dragons all the more tangible.

The dragon Toothless definitely steals the show, taking best bits of cat- and dog-like behavior, endearing himself to the audience. Seeing the relationship of Hiccup and Toothless grow despite their rocky start - and then seeing that extended to other people - inspires faith in human heart's capacity to love and accept those we once feared.

A fun, lovely movie that has a lot of laughs,warm & fluffy feelings and all-around enjoyment to spare.
  11. Aug 13, 2014
    "How to Train Your Dragon" is surprisingly balanced in terms of both plot and emotion, and its wonderful animation matches its intriguing characters. Perhaps too action-packed to get its points made, but overall amusing for kids and enjoyable for adults.
  12. Aug 10, 2014
    This is just a wonderful little film. It's everything it needs to be. My absolute favourite favourite animation to date. The details in Toothless' eyes and the different shades and types of fire, beautifully done! I'm sure I could pick on certain things, but for this type of film and what it tries to achieve, I think it's pretty damn perfect!
  13. Jul 29, 2014
    How to Train Your Dragon is an absolutely amazing animated movie. It has great characters, cute monsters and fantastic action sequences. Even better, it has a deep cathartic edge that leaves you a tear in the eye. More of this, please... it's great!
  14. Jun 25, 2014
    I can't believe I haven't watched this earlier. Well, now I've seen it three times in about 3 months. I might even say it's my favorite animated movie of all time and that's pretty big since I grew up with all kinds of animated movies. And this wins them all despite of the nostalgia many older movies bring to me. It makes me ask myself the same question all my favorite movies and videoI can't believe I haven't watched this earlier. Well, now I've seen it three times in about 3 months. I might even say it's my favorite animated movie of all time and that's pretty big since I grew up with all kinds of animated movies. And this wins them all despite of the nostalgia many older movies bring to me. It makes me ask myself the same question all my favorite movies and video games do: "why can't my life be like this?". But not everybody is a friend of these kind of movies. It might feel pretty generic and boring for some people and I can see that it doesn't actually bring much new to the table with it's storyline. But I'm a fan of happy endings and heartwarming stories. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2014
    Thoroughly entertaining, and beautifully animated. Yet DreamWorks still cannot live up to Pixar's heart, creativity, and vibrance of animation. Still, DreamWorks shows its talents here.
  16. Jun 12, 2014
    This is in my top 5 favourite animated films of all time. The story, the characters, the relationships, the pacing, the atmosphere, the soundtrack; everything is near perfect. A film that can be rewatched a hundred times and still retain its emotional resonance. Definitely a classic to be remembered.
  17. May 20, 2014
    You know 2010 was a pretty packed year for good animated movies, I mean we had this, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Megamind, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. All of them are good movies in their own right but i would have to say that this is my second favorite animated movie to come out that year behind Toy Story 3 of course. Dreamworks Animation has always had someYou know 2010 was a pretty packed year for good animated movies, I mean we had this, Toy Story 3, Tangled, Megamind, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. All of them are good movies in their own right but i would have to say that this is my second favorite animated movie to come out that year behind Toy Story 3 of course. Dreamworks Animation has always had some decent movies a few being Antz, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Megamind, but it seems that people always put them behind in the race with Pixar. ill honest here and say that this movie is better then the last 3 Pixar films without a doubt. The voice cast is freaking great, the animation was top notch, the action/flight scenes were awesome, and the story does have it's heartfelt moments when needed. The only problem i have with the movie is that the story never really seems to take off, for me it seemed that the writers played it safe but other then that i loved it.

Overall i give it a 8.0 One problem i had when i first watched the film was Jay Baruchel as Hiccup his voice just didn't seem to fit but after a couple of times watching it his voice grew on me. I really can't wait to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 but i already know it's not going to be as good as this one though, The trailers do make it look as if it will be just as fun filled as the first so count me in for a theater viewing.
  18. May 12, 2014
    I remember around the time this movie was being made I was already reading the original How to Train Your Dragon book and when I read it, I really enjoyed the story of the book; but when I saw the trailer for this film adaption, I was not pleased because it looked like it had a totally different story from the book and it did; however when I saw it in theaters I highly enjoyed it. Sure itI remember around the time this movie was being made I was already reading the original How to Train Your Dragon book and when I read it, I really enjoyed the story of the book; but when I saw the trailer for this film adaption, I was not pleased because it looked like it had a totally different story from the book and it did; however when I saw it in theaters I highly enjoyed it. Sure it has a totally new story with only a few elements from the books, but the action and emotional height and creativity that went into this film was great and I would recommend it. Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2014
    I love this film and it doesn't matter how many times I watch it, always makes me emotional. The animation is wonderful and the soundtrack is perfection. The 3D version is worth getting also. I hope the second one holds up to this. Also people shouldn't assume that because is animated its for children. As I watch a lot of anime this is defiantly not the case.
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    This movie has a great story, loveable characters and a great soundtrack. It has 3D sequences that would make even Avatar jealous. The dragons are creative and it is something you would not think about by yourself. Easily one of the best films of 2010.
  21. Jan 6, 2014
    This can be sort of heartwarming in parts, but it is mostly generic. The kid befriends a dragon, dragons and humans hate each other, the kid brings the two groups together. Also, there's a scene where they think the dragon's dead, but he's really not. Yeah, you've seen it all before.
  22. Dec 20, 2013
    To put it plainly, How to Train Your Dragon is generic, predictable and just unfunny. It's just another story of a dorky kid trying to impress the most popular kid in school, who just so happens to be a girl who is also the most talented viking warrior of the kids; of course (I didn't even know that female vikings existed). The movie boasts visual dazzles and excitement on the same levelTo put it plainly, How to Train Your Dragon is generic, predictable and just unfunny. It's just another story of a dorky kid trying to impress the most popular kid in school, who just so happens to be a girl who is also the most talented viking warrior of the kids; of course (I didn't even know that female vikings existed). The movie boasts visual dazzles and excitement on the same level as Avatar, but in the end, it's just not enough. For me, this movie was nothing special, and represents the lowlights of Dreamworks movies like Bee movie and Turbo. Not one of the highlights like Skrek, Madagascar or Kung fu Panda. Expand
  23. Dec 19, 2013
    This movie is a cult classic. Some dark things happen in this for a kids movie, but that's why it's so awesome. This was one of the best animated films, if not the best animated film of all time
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    How to maintain your ass from dragging.
    A very good animated tale with a very slow precise execution. The characters are believable and the story is nice, but some areas of the film are simply boring...
  25. Oct 22, 2013
    A pretty good kids movie, but adults will probably not enjoy it as much. The animations are good, and the characters are likable, but the story drags in some parts. Overall, it is a heartwarming film, but with some flaws.
  26. Sep 14, 2013
    This is the most fantastic, amazing, brilliant movie I have ever seen. Why? Well first of all the music is perfect, always capturing the moment perfectly. Second, the story it just amazing. I don't want to give anything away, so just watch and you will see why. Third, the voice acting is fantastic. Jay Baruchel plays Hiccup the main character, and America Ferrera plays the love interestThis is the most fantastic, amazing, brilliant movie I have ever seen. Why? Well first of all the music is perfect, always capturing the moment perfectly. Second, the story it just amazing. I don't want to give anything away, so just watch and you will see why. Third, the voice acting is fantastic. Jay Baruchel plays Hiccup the main character, and America Ferrera plays the love interest Astrid. Jay Baruchel does a perfect job at playing Hiccup because he is just like Hiccup in many ways. Forth and final reason why this movie is fantastic, amazing, and brilliant is that the visuals are amazing. The animation looks nothing like you have seen before. You can see every little freckle on Hiccups face, even a scar or two. Most people would think of How to Train Your Dragon as a kids movie. Well I don't think so and so does Dreamworks. Dreamworks has said many times it is not intended to be a kids movie more of a teen and adult flick. You will notice if you ask a kid about this movie they do not remember it. Why, because they have seen so many other movies that are more kid like that this one slips their mind probably. Most of the fans are teens and adults, but that doesn't mean a kid would not like it, just that teens and adults will appreciate it more. This movie deserves a 10 out of 10. I say buy it. If you have a 3D TV watch in 3D because the 3D also looks fantastic. Dreamworks made the best animated movie ever in my book. Expand
  27. Sep 4, 2013
    This is by far the best Animated Movie of 2010 and certainly DreamWorks Magnum Opus. Visuals are perfect, acting is top-notch, and the music is awesome. And of course the story hits you on emotional level that surpasses even some Pixar films. Highly Recommend. Also OFF TOPIC, the Metascore should be way higher. There are a lot of other reviews that would've boosted the score if theyThis is by far the best Animated Movie of 2010 and certainly DreamWorks Magnum Opus. Visuals are perfect, acting is top-notch, and the music is awesome. And of course the story hits you on emotional level that surpasses even some Pixar films. Highly Recommend. Also OFF TOPIC, the Metascore should be way higher. There are a lot of other reviews that would've boosted the score if they actually included them. This website can be EXTREMELY biased sometimes. Expand
  28. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very heart warming children's movie that works for adults as well. Pixar is known for its great animation, but DreamWorks is gaining because of their ability to learn that emotional connection is the key. Expand
  29. Jul 8, 2013
    Having watched this film first on DVD, I sure wish I didn't. With its stunning scenes, its wonderful script, and surprising depth, "How to Train Your Dragon" truly is in itself a winner. While its story tangles with the "Aladdin", "Avatar", and several of other tales told before, the story still shines with its wonderful creative spin off of its book series. With several more positivesHaving watched this film first on DVD, I sure wish I didn't. With its stunning scenes, its wonderful script, and surprising depth, "How to Train Your Dragon" truly is in itself a winner. While its story tangles with the "Aladdin", "Avatar", and several of other tales told before, the story still shines with its wonderful creative spin off of its book series. With several more positives than negatives to the story, its a fun and new tale to everyone. Expand
  30. Jun 22, 2013
    How to train your dragon may sound like a ridiculous title to give a movie, but this surprisingly is very entertaining. The story of a boy trying to fit in with his rather violent background is not anything new, but is somewhat refreshing to hear in this light. Some of the great things this film has to offer are some pretty visuals; the flying sequences are a spectacle in 3-D, which hasHow to train your dragon may sound like a ridiculous title to give a movie, but this surprisingly is very entertaining. The story of a boy trying to fit in with his rather violent background is not anything new, but is somewhat refreshing to hear in this light. Some of the great things this film has to offer are some pretty visuals; the flying sequences are a spectacle in 3-D, which has always been great for most dreamworks productions. Again the story may be old, but I still personally like it. Finally the relationship between the father and son, it has some levels if depth; for instance the father tries to appreciate his son, but just can't because he's not good at what everybody else can do. Then there's the stuff that doesn't really fly with me (hehe). The main does have an annoying voice at times, but that may have been intentional. Finally the supporting cast. They're not that well developed, a barely new them aside from simple character traits like: he's the hot shot, they're the troublemakers, he's the nerd, and she's the love interest. Anyways, this still a fun enjoyable movie, and I do wonder about the sequels. Expand

1. An exciting, fun and sensationally entertaining movie for everyone.
  2. Rouses you in conventional ways, but it's also the rare animated film that uses 3-D for its breathtaking spatial and emotional possibilities.
    Works enough miracles of 3-D animation to charm your socks off.