Howl's Moving Castle

8.8

1. KenE.
    Mar 22, 2006
    It was almost totally incomprehensable. I was pretty much hoping they would finally fall over a cliff and get it over with.... a huge dissapointment given the glowing ratings from most sources.
  2. zs
    Jun 18, 2005
    Very sorry to say, but i was astounded by the high reviews given here. I am a very long term fan of Miyazaki and was expecting to be thrilled by this film. Instead, i found myself completely bored stiff. Maybe it would make more sense if translated differently, but damn...that movie had absolutely no logic or sense or structure of plot to allow the viewer even the remotest sense of Very sorry to say, but i was astounded by the high reviews given here. I am a very long term fan of Miyazaki and was expecting to be thrilled by this film. Instead, i found myself completely bored stiff. Maybe it would make more sense if translated differently, but damn...that movie had absolutely no logic or sense or structure of plot to allow the viewer even the remotest sense of experiencing any kind of coherant narrative. In response this this, i imagine people will say 'yeah but what the about the art, what about the art', and yes, of course the art was good. Anything that Miyazaki touches will be pretty. However, he has done nothing here that we havent already seen, failing instead to come close even to the beauty AND coherence of say...Castle in the Sky. I saw this film last night with 5 friends of mine who are all die hard Miyazaki fans and by the end 3 of them were fast asleep in their theatre seats. Boo. Collapse
  3. Jim
    Sep 26, 2008
    This movie stinks!

1. Consequently, though it's difficult to work out what's going on, it's never boring.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The perfect e-ticket for a flight of fancy into a world far more gorgeous than our own. The film doesn't halve itself to appeal to two generations. At its best, it turns all moviegoers into innocent kids, slack-jawed with wonder.
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    The tireless volley of ideas and inventions make this a delight that should connect with kids and adults in both dubbed and original-language versions.