8.1

1. Jan 2, 2015
    At times McQueen focuses too intensely on the physical suffering rather than the politics and emotion, but as a visual work and a visceral experience it is masterful.
  2. Jun 16, 2014
    Overall, a pretty good film. It is absolutely brutal to watch as we see the horrible conditions endured by the prisoners. In fact, it is almost too hard to watch at times and overboard, but certainly a very necessary watch all the same. The film is very artful, in particular the 17 minute shot of Bobby Sands and the priest talking, which is an absolutely brilliantly filmed, acted, andOverall, a pretty good film. It is absolutely brutal to watch as we see the horrible conditions endured by the prisoners. In fact, it is almost too hard to watch at times and overboard, but certainly a very necessary watch all the same. The film is very artful, in particular the 17 minute shot of Bobby Sands and the priest talking, which is an absolutely brilliantly filmed, acted, and written, sequence. Throughout, the writing is stellar and the acting, especially from Michael Fassbender, is great. The only things holding me back from liking this more are the beginning, which is oddly confusing and unfocused, as we get very little explanation as to wgat is happening, as well as the pace. At times, the pace is deathly slow and it certainly took me out of the film at times and since it took me a bit to get into it anyways, that is not a great characteristic. Overall, it makes for uncomfortable viewing, but is very much an important film due to that brutality. Expand
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    I would never know about the “Irish Hunger Strike” in 1981. The terms “The Maze” or “The Troubles” would have been unknown to me if I didn’t see the movie. For 38 years there had been many conflicts between the British and the Irish in the Northern Ireland since 1960. These conflicts are widely known as "The troubles". And "The Maze" is a prison situated in the Northern Ireland, whereI would never know about the “Irish Hunger Strike” in 1981. The terms “The Maze” or “The Troubles” would have been unknown to me if I didn’t see the movie. For 38 years there had been many conflicts between the British and the Irish in the Northern Ireland since 1960. These conflicts are widely known as "The troubles". And "The Maze" is a prison situated in the Northern Ireland, where Irish paramilitary agitators were kept imprisoned. The prisoners started "Blanket" and "No Wash" movement as the political status of those prisoners had been revoked. For these agitations they are brutally tortured by the British Government. But never gave up. Their leader Bobby Sands (Fassbender) started "The Hunger Strike" willing to accept the consequence of this deadly strike!

Prison officer Remond Lohan cannot recognize himself in the mirror. The bruises on his wrists are humiliating him in every second. He is looking around for any rioter nervously. He is searching underneath his car if it is booby-trapped. That worried face of his wife says it all how a day of a prison Maze officer is elapsed. They have to be something else for doing what they do. They are not proud of what they do. They pretend to be happy and normal with their chitchat and jokes, but they are not.

The script which is based on a true story is co-written by Enda Walsh and Steve McQueen. I liked the story very very much. As director Steve did a great job. He was as precise as possible. He never tried to overstate or understate things. The screenplay is simply artistic. The cinematography is also commendable.

For me the is the best work of Fassbender. He pushed his limit for this work. His sacrifice and hard work for this movie is exemplary. Every artist did a fine job with their character.

Many renowned critics praised this movie and had it on their top 10 lists in the year 2008. But the movie is not as popular as it should have been. But the movie is not as popular as it should have been. It is because of its slow story development. But if someone starts to watch the movie for a while he will find himself lost in the movie. So the viewer should be patient and matured enough to understand the depth and appeal of the story.

The Verdict: I simply cannot express the caliber of this masterpiece in words. But I tell you this, if you want to know about devotion, about freedom, about sacrifice, watch this movie.

Reviewer Rating: 5/5
  4. Oct 23, 2013
    One of the duller things about discussing this film would be to trudge through the issue of whether it glamorises terrorists. It doesn't. McQueen's movie, starring Michael Fassbender as Sands, paints the hunger strike as tragic but quite without tragic grandeur. It shows how dysfunctional and despairing the whole remorseless process was: how the Irish republican movement, angry andOne of the duller things about discussing this film would be to trudge through the issue of whether it glamorises terrorists. It doesn't. McQueen's movie, starring Michael Fassbender as Sands, paints the hunger strike as tragic but quite without tragic grandeur. It shows how dysfunctional and despairing the whole remorseless process was: how the Irish republican movement, angry and frustrated, chose to put self-harm at the centre of its mythology. The spear of the 32-county nation stabbed itself, in displays of passive-aggressive victimhood whose function was to motivate a new generation of fighters who would be every bit as resentful as their forefathers. The movie shows Sands himself as an intelligent, motivated man, but one who long ago hardened heart and mind to the consequences of violence. It's slow but effective. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2011
    A very shocking film that depicts atrocities of prison to their extreme. Direction is bold and brilliant and so is the acting especially from Michael Fassbender. The film is not for the faint hearted.
  6. Dec 25, 2010
    Harrowing, irreverent, fearless, virtuosic, inimitable, beautiful, unforgettable. Steve McQueen shows himself a true artist; in the hands of a more experienced director, this could have been a film with more technical proficiency and a screenplay that obeyed the traditional laws of character arc and continuity, and as such, would have been another above-average movie about the IrishHarrowing, irreverent, fearless, virtuosic, inimitable, beautiful, unforgettable. Steve McQueen shows himself a true artist; in the hands of a more experienced director, this could have been a film with more technical proficiency and a screenplay that obeyed the traditional laws of character arc and continuity, and as such, would have been another above-average movie about the Irish Troubles to throw on the pile. Cheers to McQueen for having the balls to make the movie he wanted. It's great. Collapse
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    With "Hunger" - the harrowing vision of 1981 prisoner protests in Northern Ireland - Steve McQueen reminds us that art isn't confined to elegance and beauty, but can be as brutal and revealing as the darkest of reality. That being said, the movie is difficult to watch at times, but then again the questions it raises are even more difficult to answer - How far can a person push their limitsWith "Hunger" - the harrowing vision of 1981 prisoner protests in Northern Ireland - Steve McQueen reminds us that art isn't confined to elegance and beauty, but can be as brutal and revealing as the darkest of reality. That being said, the movie is difficult to watch at times, but then again the questions it raises are even more difficult to answer - How far can a person push their limits through shear determination? If there is a God, how would he judge this self-deprecation for a greater good? Rather than trying to preach us an answer to these, the movie simply shows the events as they unfolded, all through a stunningly provocative camera lens. Expand

1. The fulcrum of this deeply humanist work is an extended two-shot of the strike's leader, Bobby Sands (Michael Fassbender), as he converses with a priest (Liam Cunningham); the virtuosic sequence encapsulates the whole sorry history of a horrific civil war.
  2. Reviewed by: Don R. Lewis
    While Hunger is a very brutal film, it also taps into human emotions and, in the end, asks what would we be willing to die for or, better, what could we truly not live without?
  3. Trite, grim and feebly provocative.