6.0

1. May 20, 2012
    Just a fun, fun film. Rupert Everett is fantastic in a small role - his chemistry with High Dancy is excellent. It's an interesting film about women and the development of the vibrator, but it makes larger statements about the eventual women's movement. My primary issue with the film is that Maggie Gyllenhaal's character says things that a woman of her era obviously would not have. They took thoughts and statements of someone living 50 years later and stuck them in her head - which is fine, we can have a little artistic license now and then. It just felt forced and awkward here. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2012
    This fact-based film explores the birth of the vibrator. In the 1880s, women where often diagnosed with hysteria, which was treated by a doctor who masturbated them into contentment. After one popular young physician (Hugh Dancy) becomes immobilized by his overused hand, he stumbles upon the beneficial invention. It's obvious how every aspect of this story will play out after the first 10 minutes. So it's all about the execution. The direction is genteel with typical British aplomb and the performances are enjoyable. The standout is Maggie Gyllenhaal as the socially-conscious troublemaker. Overall, it's a mildly amusing, but undistinguished history lesson. Expand
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    Only the British could make a film about the invention of the vibrator and indicate women having orgasms without showing couples having sex or anyone being rude, or crude, using the â
  4. Apr 29, 2013
    A well made and pretty funny movie. This is a movie I thought could be really cheesy but thankfully it hits more than it misses. I recommend you at least check this film out once.
  5. Jun 26, 2013
    A true story about the invention of the vibrator. It's a period piece. Had to get the pun in. This film was much more entertaining than I intended, and I enjoyed watching it. The film is very much light hearted, which I believe leads to it's downfall, as it can never achieve greatness as it is too fluffy round the edges... I wanted some more depth... It needed to be longer. OK... Enough innuendo.

Gyllenhaal is strong in the film, with a great British accent, and everyone is good, with Jonathon Pryce being present also which just makes it better.

It is no classic, but it is fun and entertaining because you feel the actors are having a good time also.

1. Reviewed by: David Cox
    Sep 21, 2012
    Gyllenhaal rises above the tedium; sadly, not far enough. Great English accent, though.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Sep 17, 2012
    Lightly humorous, well performed and not nearly as smutty as you might imagine. The earth may not move, but there are tingles of pleasure along the way.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 15, 2012
    The joy of Hysteria, like the joy of certain other things, isn't necessarily rooted in the element of surprise. Rather, it's in the pleasure of the path taken to get to that crescendo.