5.9

1. Jun 21, 2012
    This fact-based film explores the birth of the vibrator. In the 1880s, women where often diagnosed with hysteria, which was treated by a doctor who masturbated them into contentment. After one popular young physician (Hugh Dancy) becomes immobilized by his overused hand, he stumbles upon the beneficial invention. It's obvious how every aspect of this story will play out after the first 10This fact-based film explores the birth of the vibrator. In the 1880s, women where often diagnosed with hysteria, which was treated by a doctor who masturbated them into contentment. After one popular young physician (Hugh Dancy) becomes immobilized by his overused hand, he stumbles upon the beneficial invention. It's obvious how every aspect of this story will play out after the first 10 minutes. So it's all about the execution. The direction is genteel with typical British aplomb and the performances are enjoyable. The standout is Maggie Gyllenhaal as the socially-conscious troublemaker. Overall, it's a mildly amusing, but undistinguished history lesson. Expand
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    A true story about the invention of the vibrator. It's a period piece.

Had to get the pun in. This film was much more entertaining than I intended, and I enjoyed watching it. The film is very much light hearted, which I believe leads to it's downfall, as it can never achieve greatness as it is too fluffy round the edges... I wanted some more depth... It needed to be longer. OK...
    A true story about the invention of the vibrator. It's a period piece.

Had to get the pun in.

OK... Enough innuendo.

Gyllenhaal is strong in the film, with a great British accent, and everyone is good, with Jonathon Pryce being present also which just makes it better.

It is no classic, but it is fun and entertaining because you feel the actors are having a good time also.

1. Reviewed by: David Cox
    Sep 21, 2012
    Gyllenhaal rises above the tedium; sadly, not far enough. Great English accent, though.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Sep 17, 2012
    Lightly humorous, well performed and not nearly as smutty as you might imagine. The earth may not move, but there are tingles of pleasure along the way.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 15, 2012
    The joy of Hysteria, like the joy of certain other things, isn't necessarily rooted in the element of surprise. Rather, it's in the pleasure of the path taken to get to that crescendo.