6.4

1. Dec 10, 2011
    A little tedious in the setting up and most of the characters are unbelievable, but by the time the rape scenario is in full swing you get bucket loads of moralistic angst and a true emotional 'trip'. The plot falls flat in the second half of the film and is blatantly in-credible. This is worth a watch just for the gut-wrenching rape scene which is so charged with diabolical evil that it will have you wanting to turn it off. Expand
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    For people like me who like their movies as brutal, shameless, sadistic, and as shocking as possible, this is certainly worth a watch, but it unfortunately pulls its punches in places you really wish it wouldn't. The rape scene is lamentably censored, with very little nudity or violence. I give it props for at least offering a new type of sadism between the rapists, each with their own perversions, and the whole "horse show" thing was entertaining. But when Matthew is forced to rape Jennifer, the camera shows us almost nothing, basically only implying that it's happening. The scene is desperate for some good acting between Jennifer's terror and confusion along with Matthew's own, but we don't get that. We don't get a good shot of their faces as this is all happening, which is kind of central to the whole point. It's better than most rape scenes are constructed in film, but it's definitely pulling its punches, and it couldn't be more obvious and detrimental to the piece. The sheriff is a nice addition to the mix, and becomes the central character in the entire ordeal. His violent rape of Jennifer is particularly special (and her creative revenge is appropriate). The movie is paced pretty well; I didn't think the rape lasted too long, as others have been saying. I mean, it's mostly in real-time, and in the real world, some people like her are kept for days at a time being sadistically raped and abused, so thirty minutes isn't a big deal. The revenge sequences are creative and appropriately messy, and to my delight, were deliberately constructed for each rapist as for how they acted during the rape. Jennifer gets quite creative in her relentless hunt to take down each of them as painfully as possible. Unfortunately, while the murders themselves are good, she isn't a very good murderer. She lacks any kind of less-than-sane berserker rage that would naturally fuel her. She doesn't seem normal, or terrifying. Her acts are somewhat mechanical, done without much emotion, which is a shame, because her revenge fantasies are fueled by her lust for vengeance. She just looks too normal, too clean, to be what she is in this film. One of her choices is questionable involving the sheriff's family near the end. In all fairness, she had every right to murder them. She probably should have for their own sakes, with the knowledge that the sheriff is a sadistic rapist. What are they supposed to do afterward in a town like that? Either way, they're not getting a happy ending. Anyway, while some of the violence and rape is tragically censored for all the shock-value fans out there, and the realism gets a few points off for Jennifer's character not acting like a truly vengeful killer, it's nice to see someone try something like this and make it look pretty good. The scene when the rape is over and Jennifer is walking nude in a dissociated malaise is, thankfully, how a real rape victim would commonly act from the nightmarish shock, confusion, and pain of being gang-raped. That scene in particular is pretty killer. Worth a watch, for sure. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    A gruesome adventure all together, but a great one that is. I'm not a fan of blood and gore but this is a must watch as it introduces vintage to the new generation of horror.
  4. Jan 24, 2011
    One of the best horrors of 2010. Brilliant movie will have to at edge of your seats. Only thing the rape scene was way too long. Other than that awesome movie.
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    There is a lot to talk about here, so many things to discuss, so many mistakes, and lots of plot holes.

To start with, I got that Jennifer Hills (age is not mentioned) is somehow in her early twenties and is WRITER! Did she even finish college? I wasn't really convinced, I guess that an older actress would be better, and I am not relating to the remake because I didn't watch it, I am
    judging this as a movie with no connections. There is a scene where she spills Whisky on her LEGS, why would she start washing her cloths the scene after This doesn't make any sense. Why would she kiss a stranger? Full of Dumb Actions, and that makes us care less for these characters due to their stupid actions/decisions. The characters are flat, just to carry the plot on, just veins, no digging the past at all, or anything else to make us care more for the character, and if the remade film is like this, they should have development.

The whole movie is dull, although the raping scene is cruel shocking and disturbing, it is still dull and uninteresting, due to the flat characters that don't share feelings with the audience at all! Why? I don't want to spoil more, but there is some unexplainable things somewhere near the end (don't make any sense).
    But I admit the third act is awesome, everything after the rape is pretty interesting, predictable but entertaining and shocking, it has that old school buzz to it, but it doesn't save it from getting negative response! The acting got better by the time. But on my own standards I won't recommend this to anyone, it is pretty sick, gross, disturbing and really shocking. No one wants to see anyone getting tortured especially seeing an almost innocent girl (she smokes weed) but still.
  6. Oct 22, 2011
    have you ever seen a snuff film? well if you wach this you pretty much can say you did. its not a bad movie . the premise is intresting and very simple . a girl goes up to a cabin to write a novel a group of guys rape her she gets revenge . simple enough right. the problem is the pacing with the rape scean . it just drags on waaaaay to long . i think it was around 30 min or so. i mean i get it we are suppose to feel horrable for this poor girl and can get behind her for what she is about to do but i felt 30 min of waching her get raped was just over doing it . i think spending 5 min on it would have been plenty. this is a very hard film to recommend and only saw it cause it was 99 cents on vodu . if you are easily disturbed i say avoid it . Expand
  7. Feb 23, 2012
    it feels weird defending the a film with a rape scene thats almost 30 minutes long. so ill try to do my best. the best thing about this film was Sarah Butler (the main actress), she plays the role really well despite having to deal with a really bad script and direction. the rape scene was done well (that fells really weird to say), it makes you feel really uncomfortable. the failure of this film comes from its writing, sometimes the dialogue is so bad and so inorganic that it just takes you out of the scene completely. another problem is that the first half of the film is really serious (it has to be) but the second half feels more ridiculous. the way that she gets revenge seems like it was taken out of a grindhouse film. i would have much preferred if the director picked one style and kept with it through the film. all in all its an okay film, it has its ups and downs. its definitely not for the squeamish, for some people many of the scenes can be extremely disturbing. 55%. Expand
  8. Feb 12, 2011
    the brutality of the rape scene in the original version left me sick to my stomach. in this version it its been extremely toned down and extended, losing its effectiveness. when the heroine comes back and starts killing her attackers its not nearly as satisfying. this movie reminds me of the "last house on the left" remake which also toned downed it raw brutality and replaced it with gory special effects. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2011
    **** me sideways, this is some nasty **** Its not a horror but mad and horrifying triller with nice but predictable twist. Only one thing is important, DO NOT watch it during the mean, it could get nasty!!!!
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    It's hard to I like a remake more than the original one, but this convinced me, beyond that the cast is better and conciliated well with the new character which placed, in case, the sheriff. The deaths were way better, but I found that the villains still suffered little, if I were the scriptwriter their souls would run off of their bodies. The humiliation through which she passes on this one is much bigger than the original. I loved the way she kills with refinements of cruelty more than the original, the new character is persuasive and the athletic leanness of the protagonist conciliates with what she needs to do. She may be defenceless like at the moment of rape, or she can be aloof and strong as in time of the escape and revenge. And do you wanna know something? I'd do more for less. Collapse
  11. Feb 26, 2011
    The movie is good. I have not seen yet, but I saw the trailer, it will be good. A cool suspense, the actors are great, this movie has suspense from beginning to end.
  12. Sep 27, 2011
    ok ok movie....nothing great about it....the only good part was the way the actress kills the bad guys .... the actress is beautiful but needs to learn some acting ....
  13. Feb 22, 2013
    When the original I Spit On Your Grave came out in 1978, it was so graphic and violent that it was banned from theaters and television. 32 years later and the remake is ten times as horrific and much more interesting. They'd planned to release this one in theaters but due to its NC-17 rating, they decided to go with the unrated direct-to-video method. This brutal and horrific story is about a writer who goes to a cabin in the woods to write her next book, when she becomes the victim of a horrible crime. She survives, but decided it's not justice she wants, it's revenge. I loved this film, because it's something that could actually happen, and when it's a realistic film, no matter how graphic, I find it to be that much more terrifying. If you have a weak stomach, avoid this one, because when I say it's graphic, it is ridiculously so! There is no way they ever would have been able to trim this down to an R rating for theaters, it's that brutal. Personally, I love films like this, the more graphic and realistic, the better, however many others don't agree and most critics claim the film made them physically ill. My suggestion, check it out and decide for yourself! Expand
  14. Aug 26, 2013
    I hardly agreed with Roger Ebert, but He was right on this one! A bloody disgusting garbage! Pure sadisctic trash for the mentally ill, sadistic people. If you enjoy watching the suffering of other beings you are sick!!!
  15. Aug 31, 2012
    If you like revenge slash horror movies, then this is for you. the plot begins when a female gets raped by 4 thugs and then seeks revenge..I guess the director decided to have a long rape seen so the audience wil feel more sorry for the girl.
  16. Mar 20, 2013
    It was a good film, not much horror so as a thriller. I think that women (this is coming from a guy) are sometimes better action stars and killers then men. Ex. Resident Evil, Nikita, Psycho, Columbiana, and Pretty Little Liars. They just bring more then films like Takers, Drive, Lost Deventions. But back to the film, it like this watch is by yourself even in the day time. and you will find yourself looking around for this women in your house. Expand
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    "I Spit on Your Grave" (2010) A MoviesForever Review.

Director Steven R. Monroe remade the 1978 Gruesome hit "I Spit on Your Grave". While, yes, shocked millions of people with its bold and brash plot and sequences of disturbing events, still is not an enjoyable experience in any means. And now, it has been updated (Remade).

"I Spit on Your Grave" (2010), is not in any way possible
    an enjoyable movie. But an extremely shocking experience, with its frankness and naive simplicity. This movie is a dull, hollow experience, so flawed and tired. It is overall very violent and frightening to watch at times, it is absolutely a hard and tough watch. The violent moral of this disappointing movie is distasteful and offending. It is the ultimate brutality against women, and anyone who enjoys watching sexual assault performed at women is absolutely a sick person with no sense of feelings.

The only one positive thing I can say is that the third act of the film is intense at a point. Although served with ridden of cliches and second-rate overused ideas. We get nothing.

A MoviesForever Review
  18. Feb 10, 2014
    Well, the first one was quite bad in my opinion. The "disturbing" scenes are not convincing at all. rape scenes was pathetic, acting and the atmosphere was terrible. It was just slipshod and amateur movie. The only good thing about this movie is Camille Keaton's beauty. She's quite pretty. This version was much better than the old version, just admit it. Not a great movie but i'm pleasant.
  19. Oct 5, 2014
    Seriously .. I think it is the worst film ever seen. At first I resisted until I see those scenes with that girl. I do not know, this film really did not like at all, absolutely not. I know it is a remake film "Day of the Woman" .. but honestly. These types of movies are not my taste.

1. In terms of real horror, nevermind sexual-politics provocation, "Grave" can neither re-create its predecessor's impact nor compete with stranger new beasts like Lars von Trier's "Antichrist."
  2. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Its straight-ahead rape, humiliation and ingenious revenge competently executed but not aestheticized, the essential grunginess never overly slicked up.
    Exploitation pure and simple. But it's artistically redeeming exploitation. If you can handle it, see it.