7.7

1. DaveM.
    Aug 28, 2007
    Extraordinary cast and performances by all. Cinematography is great of the East Coast cities portrayed. A must see.
  2. MichaelH.
    Oct 7, 2002
    [***Potential first scene Spoiler***] Igby is an insufferable character, so insufferable in fact, that by the end of the movie, I was wishing he'd taken the poison instead of his mother. The ultra-hip think there is some great revelation in this movie (see review by Slate), but there isn't; it's just good looking crap.
  3. JuliaP.
    Oct 13, 2002
    See it, you'll love it.
    Feb 9, 2003
    Igby Goes Down is one of the most intelligent dark comedies I have seen in awhile, and Igby is very reminescent of other great characters such as Holden Caulfield and Donnie Darko. All in all, this movie has it all, great acting, great script and some of the most colorful characters around.
  5. Baycyd
    Mar 2, 2003
    Culkin seems a young robert downey. other than that, this movie is icky. igby (& everyone else in this self-indulgent smarm) is icky.
  6. BlancoA.
    Sep 14, 2002
    I had a very mixed reaction to this movie. The acting is pretty amazing, especially Susan Sarandon's performance. Jeff Goldbum is in rare form as well. Oh, and Bill Pullman, in a brief but powerful role, is terrific. The story as a whole, however, didn't do it for me. From the jump, it seemed as if the filmmakers were trying to be as extreme and "edgy" as possible while I had a very mixed reaction to this movie. The acting is pretty amazing, especially Susan Sarandon's performance. Jeff Goldbum is in rare form as well. Oh, and Bill Pullman, in a brief but powerful role, is terrific. The story as a whole, however, didn't do it for me. From the jump, it seemed as if the filmmakers were trying to be as extreme and "edgy" as possible while forsaking the story and adequate characterization. I got a little tired of the protagonist's whiny predicament. It's tough to sympathize with snobby rich kids who despise their mothers, sleep with their godparent's mistresses, and get kicked out of every posh secondary school on the east coast. Definitely irritating more than anything else. Many individual situtations were terrific, but nothing bound the story together for me. Worth seeing, though, I suppose. Expand
  7. StanJ.
    Feb 26, 2003
    Strangely watchable, this movie is proof that intellectual banter eventually becomes stilted, and so obviously scripted, this movie is very so-so, and Claire Danes really did join the "big-head" club, gain some weight girl!!!
  8. Maggie
    Mar 9, 2003
    An amazing movie.
  9. JoachimW.
    Apr 14, 2003
    It's hilarious and intelligent!
  10. VladR.
    May 2, 2003
    It has a somewhat unprogressive plot until the very end but other than that it is sad and yet funny.
  11. JamieL.
    May 2, 2003
    If i could, i would rate this movie higher!!! it is the best movie i have ever seen. in my opinionthis film is perfect in every aspect of a movie, the casting was perfect, the cinamatography was exelent, the movie was just great. if you havent seen it, then watch it.
  12. JoseR.
    Nov 7, 2005
    Amazingly casted, tremendously acted, superbly directed. From the very first scene of this film, you want to get wring every little drop out of it. Every conversation is bursting with pop culture references; if you're bored it's because you're not listening. Kieran Culkin is a gem, the Marlon Brando of our times.
  13. WiliamB.
    Dec 7, 2005
    Having observed this social class from the vantage point of a middle-class kid who got to go to private school, I find Igby accurate and funny. Ryan Phillipe is particularly hilarious as Igby's brother, and it's a funny script all the way through. A dire update of Salinger, with many funny moments. Recommended to preppies, New York division.
  14. AshL.
    Feb 22, 2005
    Blind leading the blind. huge waste of money and time.
  15. SuziB.
    Nov 14, 2002
    One of the best movies I have ever seen!
  16. TimP.
    Nov 15, 2002
    Kind of a shallow hipster movie. Too dependent on background pop music, much like the Royal Tenenbaums. I didn't believe the relationships between any of the characters, and the dialogue rang hollow. I'd be interested in reading this guy's plays to see if they sound the same. Not sure why everyone is doing that stupid cross-marketing "if you liked Catcher in the Rye, Kind of a shallow hipster movie. Too dependent on background pop music, much like the Royal Tenenbaums. I didn't believe the relationships between any of the characters, and the dialogue rang hollow. I'd be interested in reading this guy's plays to see if they sound the same. Not sure why everyone is doing that stupid cross-marketing "if you liked Catcher in the Rye, you'll like..." thing. Expand
  17. SamL.
    Oct 14, 2002
    Challenging and wonderfully acted.
  18. JonB.
    Oct 21, 2002
    Turan and LaSalle are completely off the mark. I wonder what they would say of Warton's Lily Bart? Their inability to identify with Igby is not the fault of Steers but the obvious reaction of crotchety, OLD, and out of touch men. I'd have given it a 9, but the soundtrack is horrid. First KCRW knocks Gilles Peterson off the air and then they deliver one of the most cliched Turan and LaSalle are completely off the mark. I wonder what they would say of Warton's Lily Bart? Their inability to identify with Igby is not the fault of Steers but the obvious reaction of crotchety, OLD, and out of touch men. I'd have given it a 9, but the soundtrack is horrid. First KCRW knocks Gilles Peterson off the air and then they deliver one of the most cliched soundtracks in recent memory (the music supervisor is the KCRW music director). The film is tons of fun, and if you're looking for Whit Stillman/Antoine Doinel type fare check out Igby. Expand
  19. NolanB.
    Oct 6, 2002
    Do not be fooled, this "film" is pure garbage. The script was flat, the actors were disappointing, and the editing was abismal. If you want to see a "coming of age" movie, see Almost Famous. If you want to see Susan Sarandon in a movie about death, see Moonlight Mile. This movie is not worth the two minutes it takes out of your life to watch the trailer. You have been warned.
  20. EllenK.
    Sep 24, 2002
    Thought the acting was universally excellent and the film looked okay, though not innovative. Some good laughs at the beginning, and the Igby character initially was moving. But . . . an awful lot of sensibility repitiition which made things ultimately a bit boring. A decent premise. Too bad the writing didn't live up to it.
  21. SheriA.
    Sep 27, 2002
    This is a dark and quirky look at dysfunctional family (and other) relationships which somehow manages to be funny and charming even though so many moments in it are painfully sad. Kieran Culkin eerily reminded me of a young Robert Downey, Jr. in this film.
  22. CharlesD.
    Sep 29, 2002
    This movie was one tired, long, overwrought cliche. Igby brought nothing new to the "coming of age" or "black comedy" genres. Sarandon's performance was good, but not worth the price of admission. And what was with that irritating "pop-punk" music used during every montage sequence. Who listens to that? It was really distracting.
  23. Reina
    Jan 2, 2003
    Mix Igby with American Beauty and a little bit of LOTR and maybe Basquiat, and you got me.
  24. RoseD.
    Oct 24, 2003
    "Igby Goes Down" is a wonderful movie, drenched in satire and dark, disturbing comedy. As a former movie reveiwer, I have never seen a screenplay as myriad as this one, and I must say, I thought it was quite original and creative, even with the cliche "poor little rich kid" theme.
  25. Marc-o
    Oct 27, 2003
    I saw this movie by accident my flatmate who usually makes horrible chick-flick choices picked it and after watching the trailer on the DVD i was ready to go to bed. However i did'nt and what i got from my loss of 1 and a half hours of sleep was one of the most interesting and cruely funny films ever. Kieran Culkin (originally what put me off the film) was nothing short of excellent I saw this movie by accident my flatmate who usually makes horrible chick-flick choices picked it and after watching the trailer on the DVD i was ready to go to bed. However i did'nt and what i got from my loss of 1 and a half hours of sleep was one of the most interesting and cruely funny films ever. Kieran Culkin (originally what put me off the film) was nothing short of excellent i just hope that Hollywood does let him fall by the wayside. The comparisons to Royal Tenenbaums is warranted but this is a far greater film (i actually laughed) and as for Almost Famous i usually like Crowe but that film was cheese. Anyway i'm off the point if you want to be truly surprised but not nessasarily uplifted then this is for you. HOLLYWOOD LISTEN CULKIN IS A SKILLED YOUNG ACTOR HIRE HIM!!! Expand
  26. Dave
    Feb 8, 2003
    One of those movies that gets you kicked out of the pretentious critics club if you don't say you like it. A big hit among those who like to use the word "obdurately." Not nearly as good (on any level) as you have been seduced into believing.
  27. HarlanP.
    Apr 16, 2003
    THE best movie ever-barring South Park:Bigger, Longer, and Uncut-it shines in every moment. Although it is a very dark movie, and quite disturbing, it stiil makes you laugh. Kieran is a much better actor than his brother, and does an excellent job. I'm a big movie guy, and undoutedly the best movie of the year, see it, you have to.
  28. ChadS.
    Apr 21, 2003
    Kiernan Culkin handles the "my character actually has some redeeming qualities" quite adeptly, which is a good thing, because the transition from icy to warm comedy can be an awkward one. What "Igby Goes Down" has going for it is Claire Danes' best screen performance to date, and Culkin's ability to be detatched, yet eminently likable. They have so much chemistry, you wonder why Kiernan Culkin handles the "my character actually has some redeeming qualities" quite adeptly, which is a good thing, because the transition from icy to warm comedy can be an awkward one. What "Igby Goes Down" has going for it is Claire Danes' best screen performance to date, and Culkin's ability to be detatched, yet eminently likable. They have so much chemistry, you wonder why Sookie(Danes) falls for Igby's older brother(Phillipe). "Igby Goes Down" gets out of the gate slowly, and it ends with a "Party of Five" sort of vibe, but there's at least 70 minutes of great writing and luminous acting. Expand
  29. AlyssaF.
    Apr 27, 2003
    I truly love this movie. The characters although behind my time, really do a great job. Kieran Culkin performance as igby is excellent, he has the style, and charisma to be igby. I enjoyed watching this movie at home, a million times, because I am always picking up, something that I didn't already know. My favorite dialog between two characters is the one between D.H. and Oliver. "i I truly love this movie. The characters although behind my time, really do a great job. Kieran Culkin performance as igby is excellent, he has the style, and charisma to be igby. I enjoyed watching this movie at home, a million times, because I am always picking up, something that I didn't already know. My favorite dialog between two characters is the one between D.H. and Oliver. "i believe that certain people in life are meant to fall by the wayside to serve as warning signs for the rest of us and signpost around the way" says D.H. Oliver responds "for what?" "SUCCESS" This movie is very successful in making me laugh, cry, and question so many other things, like: Do meat eaters real have sloppy joints, and Am I living reverse darwinism, or big-picture darwinism? Anyone who is anyone should go see this movie, because this is really how movies should be! Expand
  30. CaptainCraig
    Feb 18, 2005
    Typical of untalented productions and studio packaged product. How do they get money to make this kindof stuff? Psyco kids in a Psyco world. How needs to see it on the screen?

1. Hammers home its tragicomic points too heavily for either its humorous or dramatic aspects to gather much emotional steam.
  2. Smart and novelistic and spiked with more than a bit of The Catcher in the Rye, Steers' movie is a prickly coming-of-age tale in which everybody -- but especially Culkin -- shines.
  3. This is a marvelous film, a look at the strange, exasperatingly labyrinthine process of adolescence and the diverse ways people find to deal with it.