8.6

1. Feb 25, 2015
    I was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one female character is incredibly weak and soulless. It seems to think being mean to dwarfs is incredibly funny. In fact the whole film is build around thisI was told this film had emotionally intensity but it's one of the worst piles of garbage I've ever seen. Colin Farrell's acting is terrible, the plot is cliched, none of the characters except Brendan Gleeson are likeable. The one female character is incredibly weak and soulless. It seems to think being mean to dwarfs is incredibly funny. In fact the whole film is build around this premise. The worst thing about it though is the fact the lead character shows no remorse whatsoever for what's he's done, so you can't empathise with him or like him at all. It's too ridiculous to give its apparent emotional scenes any tour de force. The dialogue is hammy and Ralph Fiennes it just a walking archetype, Harry the London rudeboy, nasty to his wife, says the F word 5 times in every sentence...zzzzz..it was done in Lock stock and it wasn't funny then. Nothing funny about this word. I use it as much as the next person but it has to have context or it just becomes odd and affected. I don't give zeros often but this film offended me. Expand

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.