8.6

1. WepmajoE
    Mar 24, 2009
    Perfect from start to finish. The dry sometimes extremely dark humor shoots your funny bone as the dramatic scenes shoot through your nerves. Great performances all around, beautiful locales, excellent pacing. By far the best movie of last year.
  2. JamieB.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Best film of 2008 so far. This superb film has an incredibly complex message about the power of violence and nonviolence, and layers of depth which many critics seem to miss (did they noticed Chloe's speech "homage is too strong a word" compares the movie within a movie to Don't Look Now, the movie of which In Bruges itself is a pastiche). It's also hilarious.
  3. Ogest
    Jul 22, 2008
    It wasn't what I expected. And that's why I give it 9. I was freaking surprised after this movie. It was genius. Very good dialogues, beautiful scenery, dark humor, interesting plot. Definetely a must see, especially now when there are not that much good dvds to rent.
  4. RobertM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    In Bruges is a superb morality play set in a very dark comedy. The pace is fast, the dialogue crisp (if a bit too profane) and the actors timing is on the money.
  5. Gary
    Feb 17, 2008
    Excellent movie. Engaging, well-acted, written, and directed, with an oddly transcendent feel.
  6. NigelH.
    May 2, 2008
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Not only are there some great jokes, but it also makes you think about some important issues; should murderers be allowed a chance for redemption? How strong are your principals? McDonagh is, in my opinion the best living playwright, and this film demonstrates that he is as talented writer for screen as for stage. Fecking brilliant.
  7. Feb 27, 2011
    Truly genius! The acting, the dialogue, the humor, the story, the music - it's just great. This is, surely, one of the best films of the decade. And, damn it, why it is so underrated - only 64%, its ridicules. Some people just cant understand it.
  8. Apr 19, 2012
    The film is just perfect. Destined to be a cult, well balanced between dark humor (very funny) and blood thrilling scenes. The climax that rises from the first scene to the end probably touches its peak when the music of The Dubliners gives the film its epic touch. Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleeson are perfect in their roles. Can't think of anything that goes wrong. Masterpiece!
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    What happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, thereWhat happens when you mix a rated R movie with an over sensitive, stick-up-ass audience? You get something completely underrated. From complaining about the use of the F word or having a fit about non-politically correct jokes, yet not even batting a lash over excessive gore and violence, the American poop troop are sure to be offended by this masterpiece of film. Amazingly enough, there are people who would go into this with its rating, categories and summery and be utterly flabbergasted at what they just saw. I can only imagine these same viewers renting Backdoor Sluts 9 and finding themselves perplexed as to why they are watching a bunch of whores getting rammed in the rear. Dear reader, if you are not a prissy princess with the mental IQ of a pile of rotting monkey balls, you might actually enjoy In Bruges. If on the other hand you are currently suffering from butthurtitis, red in the face and about to punch your monitor after reading my review, I kindly ask that you suck on my nuts. Expand
  10. Dom
    Feb 20, 2008
    Great actors and a wonderful setting. It's been a long time since I enjoyed the atmosphere and the sense of humor of a movie that much.
  11. Steve
    Apr 4, 2008
    A fine little movie! A very black comedy that makes you laugh out loud without quite knowing why.
  12. Sean
    Feb 17, 2008
    Absolutely the freshest, funniest and most poignant movie of the season. And, strangely enough, the most hopeful movie about man's capacity for second chances and doing the right thing. Colin Farrell is a joy to watch him at the top of his game. Brendan Gleason is perfect. Seeing Ralph Fiennes going over the top as the crime boss is delicious. Martin McDonough is the new cinematic voice.
  13. EdM.
    Feb 22, 2008
    Nicely black comedy. The wordplay is great, as the two protagonists cool off in the charming, boring city of Bruges.
  14. RitB
    Feb 9, 2008
    If Hieronymus Bosch were alive and making movies instead of painting, he would make "In Bruges". Strange, brutal at times, beautiful at times, unpredictable and fascinating.
  15. GordS
    May 26, 2008
    I whole heartedly agree with Roger Ebert on this film. Outstanding. A dark comedy with great dialogue and characters. Far from PC, but never the less a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I saw this almost by accident and enjoyed it more than any movie I have seen in the past year. Where did it go? No one else I know has even heard of it. It reminded me of the Great Santini, which I whole heartedly agree with Roger Ebert on this film. Outstanding. A dark comedy with great dialogue and characters. Far from PC, but never the less a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I saw this almost by accident and enjoyed it more than any movie I have seen in the past year. Where did it go? No one else I know has even heard of it. It reminded me of the Great Santini, which disappeared until the film lovers brought it back. Expand
  16. MortezaH.
    Jun 11, 2008
    An exercise in genre blending which is second to none.
  17. MorganC.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Absolutely brilliant filmmaking, cleverly written with beautiful cinematography. The end is a bit much to stomach, but completely appropriate and fitting.
  18. BillT.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Excellent and brooding dark comedy, with well defined characters and good performances from the main 5/6 actors, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
  19. tr
    Nov 2, 2008
    Great actors, terrific atmosphere and a humor blacker than the night, so it´s just a great film.
  20. BillD.
    Feb 24, 2008
    It had fabulous cinematography, crisp dialogue, and morally ambiguous characters. The delightful plot was completely unpredictable. the only thing missing was a memorable soundtrack.
  21. Daryl
    Feb 25, 2008
    A really entertaining movie, with a real good balance of high and low brow comedy. A bit heavy handed at the end, but that sin is easily absolved by what proceeds it.
  22. SteveJ.
    Mar 16, 2008
    The funniest dialogue I've heard in a long time. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was totally believable and the quirky supporting characters were compelling as well. I saw it twice in three days and laughed almost as much during the second viewing as I did the first. As for the darkness at the heart of the tale, it hit just as hard as the laughs. Yeah, there was lots of The funniest dialogue I've heard in a long time. The chemistry between Farrell and Gleeson was totally believable and the quirky supporting characters were compelling as well. I saw it twice in three days and laughed almost as much during the second viewing as I did the first. As for the darkness at the heart of the tale, it hit just as hard as the laughs. Yeah, there was lots of profanity but, given the circumstances, it was fitting. I highly recommend this film. Expand
  23. MattO.
    Mar 16, 2008
    This was movie that couldn't have come at a better time. In the never ending stream of boring, apathetic movies this one shines through with hilarious dialogue and dark humor. The dwarf/midget (i have no idea what's socially acceptable) is a fantastic combination in the end of the movie. Couldn't have been better
  24. Nancy
    Apr 13, 2008
    In a nutshell I liked this movie. The acting, the dialogue all worked for me, much of it smart, funny, amusing, unexpected or surreal. I did not expect to laugh at a film about hitmen. The surreal element to the whole thing seemed to balance the sheer ridiculousness of some of the non-PC topics. There was no way to take this seriously but just to enjoy the ride to the somewhat In a nutshell I liked this movie. The acting, the dialogue all worked for me, much of it smart, funny, amusing, unexpected or surreal. I did not expect to laugh at a film about hitmen. The surreal element to the whole thing seemed to balance the sheer ridiculousness of some of the non-PC topics. There was no way to take this seriously but just to enjoy the ride to the somewhat over-the-top ending which was a bit much for me but the preceding scenes were worth it. Colin Farrell played Expand
  25. TopiusU.
    May 24, 2008
    Very cool, great dialogs, great script, perfect.
  26. MikeD.
    Jul 21, 2008
    Very surprised by this movie. Best movie I have seen in a long time. I watched it twice back-to-back. It has some hilarious moments and Colin Farrell is great. Well written with a great story...definitely worth the rental...even worth buying!
  27. TomM.
    Jul 27, 2008
    Martin McDonagh, an award winning playwright, scores big-time with his debut full length feature. The film portrays two hit men hiding out in the historical Belgian city of Bruges after carrying out a gruesomely sloppy hit back home in England. It's hard to believe that a flick about such an event could possibly turn out to be charming (as well as a number of other things), but Martin McDonagh, an award winning playwright, scores big-time with his debut full length feature. The film portrays two hit men hiding out in the historical Belgian city of Bruges after carrying out a gruesomely sloppy hit back home in England. It's hard to believe that a flick about such an event could possibly turn out to be charming (as well as a number of other things), but McDonagh and an excellent cast pull it off. The result is black comedy as its absolute best. My only problem was some difficulty with the thick British accents (Cockney?) that denied me even further laughs and enjoyment of the extraordinary dialogue. Be on the lookout for this gifted director's future work! Collapse
  28. TamaraM.
    Aug 18, 2008
    One can't ask more of a film than gorgeous cinematography, a brilliant script and actors whose performance delves deep and perfectly carries the multifaceted, rich dark humor clothed in a perfect story.
  29. TonyS.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Best of the year. and brilliantly acted by principals.
  30. KrisD
    Aug 3, 2009
    Last week i saw this movie on TV (paychannel) I didnt really know what it was about, but i have to say i was completely blown away. While the story is of course very different, this film gave me the same feeling like pulp fiction did back in the days. Just after watching it, i felt like i immediately wanted to see it again. And this is a VERY RARE thing for me nowadays. Anyway, this Last week i saw this movie on TV (paychannel) I didnt really know what it was about, but i have to say i was completely blown away. While the story is of course very different, this film gave me the same feeling like pulp fiction did back in the days. Just after watching it, i felt like i immediately wanted to see it again. And this is a VERY RARE thing for me nowadays. Anyway, this weekend i bought it on dvd. The characters are really loveable, the humour is dark and the situations are absurd. There's a lot to be liked about this film. Only two kinds of people won't like it imo. The ones who don't get it and the arty farty so-called movie "connaiseurs" who are searching way too much behind it. This was a very nice surprise for me. Expand
  31. MarcusA.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Can you say underrated. This movie is probably the best of 2008 so far. IT is smart, dark, funny, and witty, and needs some recognition. Some people don't understand the ending, but it suits this film perfectly. The best hitman movie since Pulp Fiction.
  32. hollyc
    Jun 27, 2008
    Holy crap. what an amazing surprise. I can see why this film had a hard time marketing itself b/c it doesn't lend itself to slick one-liners at all. As others have said, tightly, tightly written, very well acted--genre busting story that works on so many layers it's just ridiculous! You get a drama/comedy/action-thriller/ biblical fairytale. In Bruge. rent this thing now.
  33. RichR.
    Jul 12, 2008
    This movie is the funniest thing I've seen in years! Hmmmm, maybe the black humor has a little to do with the British losing hundreds of thousands (in Belgium and Holland and freakin' France) fighting the Nazis during WWII while the Belgians and their ilk hid under their mommie's dresses.
  34. AlP
    Mar 17, 2009
    Don't believe the negativity. Everyone I know has taken something different from this film but they all loved it and so did I. It is a movie that just begs to be watched right through in one sitting and manages to switch from absurd to disturbing to hilarious whilst still remaining completely believeable thanks to the quality of the script and actors.
  35. Oct 11, 2010
    Certainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timelessCertainly one of the best movies ever in the genre...so dark,poignant and powerful. with endless surprises. screenplay is fresh & directing is just brilliant and carter bruwells amazing soundtrack makes a deep atmosphere.... Farrell ,Brendan Gleeson & Fiennes made a real great team. in my eyes play writing master Martin McDonaghs first long movie is an independent timeless masterpiece
    And in one word "Everything Is In Right Place"
  36. Dec 2, 2012
    In Bruges is a phenomenal film. It's unbelievably funny, smart, touching and exciting. Basically speaking, this movie is possibly the best British gangster movie ever made... Oh and Bruges is beautifully shot, too.
  37. Apr 13, 2011
    Funny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was anFunny, melancholy film with great performances from Gleeson and an unexpectedly excellent Farrell, whose childlike wonder at the sight of a real midget seemed quite genuine. And Bruges looked like a painting which somehow conveys extremes of temperature. Aside from the slightly ersatz note struck by Ralph Fiennes' character (odd casting that: Fiennes is too posh to be a thug), this was an assured and engaging film. Expand
  38. Jul 11, 2013
    In Bruges tackles all the issues that a typical comedy offers, an out if the comfort zone setting, an unlikely alliance, romance and of course thrills, but it also offers much more with a clever script very dark humour and an unpredictable story that keeps on giving.
    The Irish duo of powerhouse talents Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson star as two bungling hitmen, Ray and Ken, are sent to Bruges to lay low for a while after a job goes wrong, Ken loves the chance to do all the tourist things, Ray is a more live wire character than his older counterpart, wanting to get right back into jobs. On the phone line is Harry (Ralph Fiennes) who is updating the two on the situation, as he is their employer he keeps them informed for when they can return to England.
    The film takes a twisted yet hilarious look at what is right in front of you in an unorthodox way, the humour, when you think it is finished, keeps on rolling out the obscene remarks and jokes. The highlights of the film come from the realistic and situational approach. It offers very different insights into certain film scenarios,such as shoot outs and the typical bad guy. The film turns most of these on their head and offers this perhaps generational approach, like how grown up films should perhaps become.
    Brendan Gleeson is quite the calm and relaxed gentle giant of the show, is demeanour counteracts the energetic one of Farrell, whose character continuously spits out his distaste for being in Bruges and how he finds and sees everyrhing in a homosexual manner, the politest way to say it.
    In terms of the tone, it never settles for second best, when it wants to tell a very funny joke are put across a hilarious situation, it does so without holding and punches, but when it wants to put a message of despair and emotion, it again delivers the goods without fail, showing the capabilities that Martin McDonagh possesses in story-telling but also reaching out to the audience. Many moment this film will indeed make you laugh in hysterics, but the quieter and closer moments will bring back down to reality.
    An excellent and varied film with a taste for all sorts of genres, giving different nods to previous films and also promoting a witty script and some powerful performances.
  39. Dec 16, 2013
    This movie was generally underrated by the critics. This is just a fantastic movie with amazing script, acting, setting, cinematography, everything.

Brilliant.
  40. Jul 26, 2013
    In Bruges is a perfect blend of comedy, action and drama. It has moments that are out right hilarious as well as extremely shocking moments. The entire cast is brilliant especially Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's a must see film.
  41. May 29, 2014
    I absolutely love this film, easily the best crime/comedy/drama ive seen since the sensational "Pulp Fiction", full to the brim with some of the most absurd moments in film that ive ever seen.
    its also very #deep

42. Dec 30, 2013
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    Most black comedies aren't exactly black.
    I think this because most of them are funny, but the good jokes aren't exactly black. For example in the mediocre 2013 film The Family all of the jokes that I laughed out loud at were reasonably upbeat or dark but not black. This can be found in many other black (I might start renaming them bleak just for literal accuracy) comedies like Thank You For Smoking, The Men Who Stare At Goats and Fargo.
    In Bruges is an exception it has a mix of black and upbeat jokes and all of them are hilarious. Whether there about dwarves, elephants, gay beers or cupboards. Every second is hysterical. But every second is also very exciting, somehow I was even interested when Ray and Ken were discussing who's allowed to shoot themselves. Even classics like The Naked Gun and Office Space get a bit slow moving in places, this doesn't.
    That was a great achievement and surprised me, but the most amazing thing about the writing and direction of In Bruges is that somehow Martin McDonagh makes the viewer care about the characters. Colin Farrell is a child murderer and should be one of the least likable little in movie history. Yet somehow I was constantly rooting for him in the last 30 minutes and almost cried when he was talking to his dying partner in crime. Ralph Fiennes character Harry is even worse! And I was almost crying for him too! Hell I was almost crying at the death of a cocaine snorting, prostitute client midget. Never would you expect to find a black comedy about murder and Belgium more emotional than The Green Mile and Marley and Me put together. It totally took me by surprise.
    In Bruges is definitely one of my favorite movies of the last decade and extremely entertaining, I strongly recommend it as long as you are prepared for the amazing overuse of the word
  43. Feb 6, 2014
    A great set of actors doing some very ... interesting things. It's not exactly a "sit down with your parents and bond" thing so much as it's just very funny. It's a very dark humor, and honestly a little predictable, but it doesn't try to be anything more than it is.
  44. Jul 1, 2014
    A gleefully dark and morbid comedy with spectacular trio Ralph Fiennes, Brendan Gleeson, and Colin Farrell, who gives perhaps his most complicated performance to date, as a guilt-ridden assassin trying to reason with his actions, Ken as the calm mentor comforting him, and Harry, their psychotic boss with contradicting morals. It's sad, funny, and meaningful. Hell, it's close to 'Fargo'
  45. Jan 8, 2014
    Truly exceptional. McDonagh outdid himself with this masterpiece. Great acting from Farrell and Geeson and a superb script by McDonagh. One of the best films i have seen this year so far
  46. Oct 12, 2014
    A great gangster movie and marvelous debut behind the camera for the talented Irish director Martin McDonagh. Heartily recommended, with some of the best acting I have seen yet by Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleeson.
  47. Jul 15, 2014
    'In Bruges'' is a dialogue based/character driven movie starring Colin Farell, Ralph Fiennes and many more.I can't tell the plot of this movie.Because that is half the fun you will have.This movie is like Pulp Fiction.
    If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, why haven't you seen Pulp Fiction?
    If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, why haven't you seen Pulp Fiction?

This movie has no drama at all.The drama is the thing that brings most movies down.Whereas this movie has realistic dialogues which are hilarious.Every dialogue and every scene is important to the plot.For instance:-

[first lines]
    Ray: After I killed them, I dropped the gun in the Thames, washed the residue off me hands in the bathroom of a Burger King, and walked home to await instructions. Shortly thereafter the instructions came through. "Get the **** out of London, youse dumb ****s. Get to Bruges." I didn't even know where Bruges ****ing was.
    [pause]
    Ray: It's in Belgium

''In Bruges'' has really good actors and a good director.This movie does not have much action and that is a good thing.Action scenes should be used only when necessary to propel the plot.Otherwise its no fun.Remember ''Matrix Reloaded''-its dull.

If I had to score it out of 10, I would give it a 10/10 and remember, I am a miser.I don't give points so easily.But this film was so perfect and its worth at least a watch.It is one of the movies that will be considered as a classic in years to come.
  48. Jul 19, 2014
    'In Bruges' is my third favourite film of all time and there's a reason for that- the dialogue is witty, the performances very strong and the plot is brilliant. Colin Farrell gives the gives performance of his career and Ralph Fiennes is both menacing and hilarious.

It's not for everyone since it is very violent, but if you like comedy-thrillers you should definitely check it out.

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.