In Bruges

8.8

1. SunilB
    Feb 11, 2008
    I found this movie to be mediocre. The plot was decent, but the movie was quite slow-paced and dragging along at time. Colin acted quite well in it though the whole thing about ragging on Bruges just didn't make any sense. The humor was no ha-ha, from my perspective, but a chuckle here and there. All in all, I would recommend waiting for a DVD on this one.
  2. BryanM.
    Mar 26, 2008
    While darkly humorous at times, the movie never quite lifted off the ground for me. Odd, bloody, and drawn out. A much different film than it's trailers portray.
  3. JayH.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Not quite the action packed movie the cover box describes, but it is a good dark comedy/drama. The cast is very good, but the slow pace gets tedious at times. Good location filming.
  4. DougN.
    Apr 13, 2008
    I wasn't really impressed by this film. Who could identify with any of the characters? The "action" is somewhat formulaic. The story line isn't that interesting. The best part is Bruges, the city itself.
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    I'm quite certain my review for this movie will improve slightly after I get to see it with English subtitles - without them, the strongly accented and quick manner of speaking is at times very hard to follow for a non-English viewer like me.

It is nice to see Colin Farrell speaking as he normally does, once again. Not that I hate the honed English with less "Irish" in it, but it brought a lot into his character in this particular movie.

There's some funny parts, and others that have you shaking your head; some gangster action, raw images and bloody scenes. Altogether, though, "In Bruges" is hardly the film it could be.

The characters were not as well drawn as they could be. Sure, we learned each of their main characteristics, but more may have been appropriate. The plot jumped into motion from the start, and made me wonder for a while: "What kind of movie was I expecting to see?" This hardly was one to meet my expectations.

1. Chock full of wonderful lines delivered by a splendid cast, the film toys with the conventions and mostly transcends the limitations.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Closer to pics like “The Hit” and “Miller’s Crossing” than to McDonagh’s bristling, funny plays, this half-comic, half-serious account of two Irish hitmen who are sent to the titular Belgian burg to cool their heels after a job is moderately fair as a nutty character study, but overly far-fetched once the action kicks in.
    No one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, yet the willful opposite can be equally noxious, and, as In Bruges barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, child-abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than its paying viewers.