5.3

1. Mar 15, 2012
    I get why ppl hate this movie, I do. I was expecting that there was gonna be a big red bar full of "negative" votes. But here's my opinion about the movie, I thought it was okay. It's definitely not a masterpiece or as goos as Raiders of the Lost Ark & Last Crusade, but does it mean it's bad? Of course not! I want to review the 2 main rants that people nitpick all the time.

1. Aliens

1. Aliens don't belong in an Indiana Jones movie. It's like Indie meets Mars Attack.

- I wouldn't put it that way. Did anyone even know that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull are known to be Extra-Teresstrial? Also, why don't aliens belong in an Indie movie? Did anyone even watch the other Indie movies? What about the Ghost that killed ppl in RotLA, the 700 year old knight protecting the holy grail from Last Crusade, or the voodoo stuff from Temple of Doom? Why not have science fictional experience?

2. The refrigerator scene was ridiculous and unrealistic.

-No Sh*t! I know this isn't realistic, many movies do that all the time but nobody complains about them. Again, did you watch the other movies? The unexpected and unseen tank escape from Last Crusade, falling off a helicopter with a inflatable boat and making it off a cliff without a scratch or a broken bone from Temple of Doom. I haven't heard anyone argue about that.

In my opinion, I thought the movie was okay. I found it like a great comeback to Indiana Jones and the other 80's and 90's icons. We got the comeback of Die Hard, Terminator, Scream, Mission Impossible, Rambo, and Rocky Balboa and coming soon Men in Black. I liked that Indie came back as well. I would like to see Lethal Weapon 5 or Ghostbusters 3. Anyways, Indiana Jones 4 wasn't as bad as a lot of people put it. I liked it, my friends liked it, my family liked it, basically many people liked it, and others hated it. But I honestly find it to be a decent adventure movie.
  2. Mar 6, 2011
    What the heck is with all the negative critisism? This movie is awesome! It feels exactly like an old fashioned Indy movie! Granted, its not as good as those movies, but who would expect it to be? The acting is great, the action is intense and lots of fun, and the same adventurous atmosphere that made the others so much fun is back full throttle! Yes, it's very unrealistic, but what IndyWhat the heck is with all the negative critisism? This movie is awesome! It feels exactly like an old fashioned Indy movie! Granted, its not as good as those movies, but who would expect it to be? The acting is great, the action is intense and lots of fun, and the same adventurous atmosphere that made the others so much fun is back full throttle! Yes, it's very unrealistic, but what Indy movie is? Yes, I didn't really like the whole alien thing, but that's the only thing I didn't like about it. Overall, KOTCS is a great installment in the amazing franchise. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    There is a moment watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I realized that maybe seeing this film was a bad idea. That moment occurred less than 3 minutes in when way too much time and effort was spent focusing on a CG gopher, that did not look at all real. It added nothing to the plot and just looked bad. Someone, somewhere made a bad choice leaving that in. InThere is a moment watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I realized that maybe seeing this film was a bad idea. That moment occurred less than 3 minutes in when way too much time and effort was spent focusing on a CG gopher, that did not look at all real. It added nothing to the plot and just looked bad. Someone, somewhere made a bad choice leaving that in. In effect choosing cheap thrills over trying to make a good movie. There were a lot of things like that because it was the start of a long disappointing ride.
    My favorite moment in this film is when Indiana Jones rides out that nuclear blast in the lead lined fridge. He comes out the other side alive and in one piece. Sure he gets the awkward scrub-down after. But he`s not cooked hamburger, which is a testament to how ridiculous the film is as a whole.
    I don`t really remember much of the ``plot`` of the middle of the film. Something about not dead-dead people, a crazy friend and indies son played by actor Shia Labeouf. I get they were trying to go for an Indie 2.0 here. Maybe create a character likable enough for a spinoff franchise, or taking up Harrison Ford`s mantle. In this regard they failed badly. His character has all the swagger of Indiana at the end of the original trilogy, without having done anything to earn it. And it makes him extremely un-likable. They should have gone back to basics. Choosing an actor that more reflects Indiana at the start of the first film and show him growing up.
    Throw in all the extremely unlikely chase sequences (I know how ridiculous the original trilogy is in that regard, but the setup was better), the intermittent magnetism of the crystal skull, Harrison Ford being ``too old for this sh*t`` and capping it all off with that bizarre out of left field ending. And what you are left with is something so awful it does not deserve acknowledgement as an Indiana Jones film. This is a bad B movie with A list actors, an A list director, and a huge budget.

If one good thing came of this film it is this. Scientists went back and examined the crystal skull`s in the museums, and found them all to be fraudulently passed off as historical relics, when they are more simply modern art.
  4. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to create an account just so I could review this atrocity! I honestly can't find one thing positive to say (It took me two attempts to even get through it!). Harrison Ford is as grouchy as ever and has no chemistry with anyone on screen. Karen Allen still can't act and Shia LeBeouf brings nothing to his role. Even Cate Blanchett seems to have nothing to do with her stereotypical role beyond her accent and atrocious wig. The plot is moronic and the third act may have actually cost me IQ points! Every chatty scene (and there are A LOT of them!) looks like it takes place on an indoor set and every action scene looks like it takes place in front of a green screen. Which may be on purpose but it's far more obtrusive than in previous installments. I could write full paragraphs on the stupidity of the refrigerator, Oxley, the monkeys, the quicksand/snake scene, the ants, the waterfalls, the aliens, the well as deus ex machina OR the fact that Mutt's real name is Henry Jones III, yet he somehow believes it's Henry Williams. OR a tenured professor who cannot pronounce the word "nuclear" correctly. Ugh. Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2010
    If there is one thing this movie succeeds at it is entertainment, even if only in the campiest sense of the word. Unfortunately, in this case fans were hoping for so much more.
  6. Feb 23, 2012
    This movie should have never been made. It is a discredit to the original trilogy, and it damages the series as a whole. Aliens should not have been included in an Indiana Jones film. Also, I know that there has always be an element of the ridiculous in the franchise, but seriously, some of the scenes in this film are downright ludicrous. Spielberg and Lucas need to learn that theirThis movie should have never been made. It is a discredit to the original trilogy, and it damages the series as a whole. Aliens should not have been included in an Indiana Jones film. Also, I know that there has always be an element of the ridiculous in the franchise, but seriously, some of the scenes in this film are downright ludicrous. Spielberg and Lucas need to learn that their classics should not be tampered with. A train wreck. Expand
  7. Sep 24, 2011
    "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is a decent movie to add into the Jones Franchise. The movie is way outdated with a 'old' performance by 'old' Harrison Ford. Looks like Spielberg & Lucas is getting older...
  8. Oct 4, 2011
    The best of all the four films, interesting, impressive images and effects, funny, and entertaining, a good film after 19 years that we saw for the last time Indiana Jones, the new score is good, a good job made by Steven Spielberg.
  9. Oct 11, 2010
    Although this film retains all of the Indiana Jones necessities it goes way over the top when introducing the 'extra-dimensional' beings to the equation. This is Indiana Jones and not Star Trek. Apart from this, Ford is as lively and as brilliant as ever and keeps his comic timing but LeBoeuf, well, he just didn't cut it.
  10. Sep 1, 2010
    Indiana Jones returns, but with Russians, skulls, atomic bombs & the 1950s.
    Well it wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be. Being a massive Raiders fan there were some nice returns & references.
    Shia Labeouf plays his part pretty well whilst Cate Blanchett is on Autopilot as the stereotypical baddie. The main problems with it is that it's too far fetched, even for Indiana Jones (fridge &
    Indiana Jones returns, but with Russians, skulls, atomic bombs & the 1950s.
    The main problems with it is that it's too far fetched, even for Indiana Jones (fridge & waterfalls). These make the rubber dingy bit in Temple of Doom look perfectly viable.
    Also, the story is a bit ropey. I believe it was all George Lucas's idea so this explains why. Maybe he'll go back & change it in a few years?
    I also thought with all the CGI used, it didn't have the same charm as the other films.
  11. Sep 18, 2010
    19 years to wait for the 4th movie of Indiana Jones and it a half disappointing
  12. Aug 23, 2010
    growing up loving the original trilogy i couldnt wait for this film . though i believed it arrived 15 years to late. its not a bad film but really doesnt capture what the original trilogy was . shilo boof like always is annoying and a insult to fans to think he may become the next indiana jones . some people where upset that they moved away from the reliougous theme towards aliens . igrowing up loving the original trilogy i couldnt wait for this film . though i believed it arrived 15 years to late. its not a bad film but really doesnt capture what the original trilogy was . shilo boof like always is annoying and a insult to fans to think he may become the next indiana jones . some people where upset that they moved away from the reliougous theme towards aliens . i didnt mind it it infact its still following the same lines if you know your history . many archioligists believe that the nascans and other from that area worshiped some thing that resembled aliens . so it looked to me they where still on that theme . the action was good although didnt feel near as good as raiders or last crusade . it was a ok entry to the series but not really the ending i woulda liked the series to go out on. my only last and best hope is they dont bring that moron shilo boof in to replace harrison ford as indiana jones . just let this series stay dead. Expand
  13. May 4, 2011
    Very, very underrated. Hating this movie because of small instances is unfair and unreasonable. I found this movie just as fun as the last three Indiana Jones films. Yes, it's not as good as the other three by a mile but the story is still interesting, the Indiana Jones character is still the same charismatic adventurer we all know and love and the handful helping of nostalgia actuallyVery, very underrated. Hating this movie because of small instances is unfair and unreasonable. I found this movie just as fun as the last three Indiana Jones films. Yes, it's not as good as the other three by a mile but the story is still interesting, the Indiana Jones character is still the same charismatic adventurer we all know and love and the handful helping of nostalgia actually makes the film all the fun it can be plus the "Nuke the Fridge" scene was the highlight in my opinion. Expand
  14. Mar 14, 2011
    Sheesh, what's with all the negativity? If you ask me, I think this was the best Indiana Jones movie since the original one. Not saying the last two sequels were bad, but they were kinda going left and right between what the true religion in the Jones universe is. I for one was glad they departed from looking for religious artifacts, and Harrison Ford is still the same old Indiana Jones weSheesh, what's with all the negativity? If you ask me, I think this was the best Indiana Jones movie since the original one. Not saying the last two sequels were bad, but they were kinda going left and right between what the true religion in the Jones universe is. I for one was glad they departed from looking for religious artifacts, and Harrison Ford is still the same old Indiana Jones we all know and love. Expand
  15. Jul 30, 2011
    Great follow up to possibly the greatest movie series ever. Not the best one of the lot though but I completely recommend this to anyone who's looking for a hell of an adventure!
  16. Apr 6, 2011
    What is with all of the negative criticism? Sure, the ending could've been better, but the fun action, good acting, and a great score, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a great movie. And people complaining that hte movie is too unrealistic, that is insane. Did you ever see Temple of Doom?
  17. May 10, 2011
    This episode of Indiana Jones takes place several years after the TV series ended, but to my mind is the best episode to date. The fact that they decided to not use Sean Patrick Flanery and instead Shiabelouff as the Young Indy is a fatal mistake, but doesn't stop the episode from being highly original and very, very entertaining. The story sees an bloated ageing Indiana Jones save theThis episode of Indiana Jones takes place several years after the TV series ended, but to my mind is the best episode to date. The fact that they decided to not use Sean Patrick Flanery and instead Shiabelouff as the Young Indy is a fatal mistake, but doesn't stop the episode from being highly original and very, very entertaining. The story sees an bloated ageing Indiana Jones save the world from Russian Nazi's by climbing inside a refrigerator and time traveling back to the 1930's where he meets his younger self, but now bizarrely modelled as James Dean in a gay hat for some reason. The use of monkeys and rubber snakes really works here though, as does the over-crowding of old people. Karen Allen's brilliantly observed portrait of senile dementia is right on the money, even though she looks about as attractive as your dead grandmother sucking off a horse. And John Hurt is brilliantly miscast as Sean Connery's incontient jibbering brother. Although not as good as Flanery (or Jaquin Phoenix for that matter) Shialeboufddff does prove a welcome asset to offet the stench of decay as the Young Indy to the gang of coffin dodgers, but at times is jarring considering the amount of dust falling off the old folks and filling the stale putrid air. I also don't know why at the end they had to have not one, but about twelve old farts running around the Aztec temple trying to save the world when Indiana Jones and his younger self would have sufficed. Oh well the stunts are as always well above anything else on TV and the high production values at times make it seem as though your watching an actual movie and not just some unnecessary bloated distraction to an otherwise perfect series of old school adventures. Expand
  18. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rather than me sit and whinge about how it wasn't as good as the others I will just give you the below...

Blah blah blah, explosions, blah blah, I am your son, blah blah I am an enemy, blah blah I am your friend really, blah blah it was aliens, blah blah marriage, blah blah give me my hat.
  19. Nov 25, 2011
    Steven Spielberg went full retard on this one. Sure, the other ones weren't believable either...but this one? Dr. Jones survives atomic bomb test in a refridgerator, survives thousand foot drop from waterfall, and then he brings in the aliens.
  20. Sep 4, 2011
    For years there were rumors of the new Indiana Jones movie. Finally it was confirmed and we eagerly awaited the 4th love child of Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Harrison Ford. There were a lot of naysayers out there who thought Ford was too old, that Lucas/Spielberg ought to leave well enough alone, but they saw past all that and went for it. The result: Unbelievable Crap. LucasFor years there were rumors of the new Indiana Jones movie. Finally it was confirmed and we eagerly awaited the 4th love child of Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Harrison Ford. There were a lot of naysayers out there who thought Ford was too old, that Lucas/Spielberg ought to leave well enough alone, but they saw past all that and went for it. The result: Unbelievable Crap. Lucas explains to the AP: â Expand
  21. Oct 2, 2011
    i don't really get where all the negative buzz of this movie comes from. to me, it is as good as any other indiana jones movie.
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    The saddest thing about this movie.. is if it weren't for just a few really terrible scenes (that could leave some viewers insulted by suggesting they are so gullible and easy to please that they will buy into ridiculously outlandish and stupid scenes)... it could have fit nicely with part's 1 and 3. Unfortunately, this film was somewhere near the temple of doom (although I would sayThe saddest thing about this movie.. is if it weren't for just a few really terrible scenes (that could leave some viewers insulted by suggesting they are so gullible and easy to please that they will buy into ridiculously outlandish and stupid scenes)... it could have fit nicely with part's 1 and 3. Unfortunately, this film was somewhere near the temple of doom (although I would say Temple of Doom was still worse).

The main scene that comes to mind is the part where Indy's son and the Russian are sword fighting on two jeeps... this is where I really made up my mind that this film was totally blown, even though it was already heading in that direction fast. The beauty of Indy 1 and 3 and many other good adventure classics, are that although very fantastical, they still have an element of believability within the world created by the movie.

Indy and the Crystal Skulls completely lost sight of trying to stay believable, and I think that's why so many hardcore fans were really turned off almost feeling that their intelligence had been insulted (Although I know this certainly wasn't the intent of the makers, but just the reality of how many viewers felt).
  23. Nov 27, 2011
    This is my favorite Indiana Jones movie of them all. It may have a different story than the others but somehow it stands out further than the others to me. Plus, Harrison Ford is still Indiana Jones.
  24. Jan 1, 2012
    I thought it was good. Yes it did annoy me that it was about aliens but still, Its classic Indiana Jones. This film was really made to introduce a new generation of fans to Jones and I think it works good.
  25. Jan 20, 2015
    Not a classic, but still fun entertainment, only worth seeing once though. This might be my least favourite Indy film but it's not as bad as everyone says. For people to believe ripping someone's heart out of their chest or ghosts melting people or an old 2000 year old man waiting in a tomb then aliens shouldn't be too much for you. The star of this movie is Shia, who comes in as a greatNot a classic, but still fun entertainment, only worth seeing once though. This might be my least favourite Indy film but it's not as bad as everyone says. For people to believe ripping someone's heart out of their chest or ghosts melting people or an old 2000 year old man waiting in a tomb then aliens shouldn't be too much for you. The star of this movie is Shia, who comes in as a great sidekick to Indy. The movie at times does feel a little derivative as an action piece ocassionally. Expand
  26. Feb 23, 2013
    After 20 years, Indiana Jones returned for a new generation to enjoy. It is simply amazing that at almost 70 years of age, Harrison Ford was able to do this movie, and even perform some of his own stunts. In the film, they introduce Shia LaBeouf as his son, so that the franchise can continue. Indiana Jones has been around since the early 80s. There are hundreds of books and stories theyAfter 20 years, Indiana Jones returned for a new generation to enjoy. It is simply amazing that at almost 70 years of age, Harrison Ford was able to do this movie, and even perform some of his own stunts. In the film, they introduce Shia LaBeouf as his son, so that the franchise can continue. Indiana Jones has been around since the early 80s. There are hundreds of books and stories they could have chosen from, and I suspect most of them would have been better than the Crystal Skull. Don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't bad, but aliens, Elvis, sword fights on the back of a jeep, cannibalistic ants, and Shia swinging through the Amazon with a family of monkeys? That's not Indiana Jones. I realize they wanted to portray him in perhaps the final years of his career, but the story was not great. The action scenes, effects, stunts, and cast were all great, and what you've come to expect from Indy, but the movie itself wasn't the best. It's enjoyable and worth seeing, but for the most part it doesn't fit with what we know of Indiana Jones. Expand
  27. Dec 27, 2012
    The whole Aliens ending was an awful way to end the film but it was still enjoyable to watch. It was action packed, Had good acting, and it was entertaining. I can see why Indiana Jones fans hate it but it wasn't all that bad.
  28. Feb 5, 2012
    A movie of complexity that doesn't pay off. The story is so compounded, it seems like it was a combination of 20 different ideas. But it was one of those movies that was popular with the public, mainly because they can't tell a good movie from a bad movie.
  29. May 23, 2012
    Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull is a very good action movie. It's underrated. Why do people dislike it so much, it's a genuinely good film, its got great action scenes, tense and kinda spooky moments, a great dialogue/script, an interesting plot with good twists and quite good acting. I do admit the film has bad moments: like the monkeys and stuff. If you did yourIndiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull is a very good action movie. It's underrated. Why do people dislike it so much, it's a genuinely good film, its got great action scenes, tense and kinda spooky moments, a great dialogue/script, an interesting plot with good twists and quite good acting. I do admit the film has bad moments: like the monkeys and stuff. If you did your research, if it has crystal skull in the name, it's probably gonna have aliens in it, and anyway, the aliens are cool. What's so bad about sword fights, they're not bad. If it's different from its predecessors, that doesn't mean it's bad, it's a really good film! Expand
  30. Mar 27, 2012
    Was really looking forward to seeing this movie, unfortunately, it was dreadful, the first 3 are excellent films, this one is just the polar opposite, Ray Winstone is dreadful in it, so is Shia Lebeouf and Cate Blanchett is even worse! Harrison Fords comic timing and some strategically place Gophers make the opening 20 minutes enjoyable but after that it really is awful!

1. Harrison Ford? Terrific -- and re-energized.
  2. Director Steven Spielberg seems intent on celebrating his entire early career here. Whatever the story there is, a vague journey to return a spectacular archeological find to its rightful home -- an unusual goal of the old grave-robber, you must admit -- gets swamped in a sea of stunts and CGI that are relentless as the scenes and character relationships are charmless.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    There are scenes in the new movie that seem like stretching exercises at a retirement home; there are garrulous stretches, and even the title seems a few words too long. But once it gets going, Crystal Skull delivers smart, robust, familiar entertainment.