5.3

1. Jan 20, 2015
    Not a classic, but still fun entertainment, only worth seeing once though. This might be my least favourite Indy film but it's not as bad as everyone says. For people to believe ripping someone's heart out of their chest or ghosts melting people or an old 2000 year old man waiting in a tomb then aliens shouldn't be too much for you. The star of this movie is Shia, who comes in as a greatNot a classic, but still fun entertainment, only worth seeing once though. This might be my least favourite Indy film but it's not as bad as everyone says. For people to believe ripping someone's heart out of their chest or ghosts melting people or an old 2000 year old man waiting in a tomb then aliens shouldn't be too much for you. The star of this movie is Shia, who comes in as a great sidekick to Indy. The movie at times does feel a little derivative as an action piece ocassionally. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2015
    Rewatched it recently on BD. After nearly 20 years we see Harrison Ford return as Indiana Jones in this sequel. I thought the movie was pretty good. Indiana Jones series always involved the supernatural and this installment is no different. Its definitely better than Temple of Doom thats for sure.
  3. Jan 11, 2015
    It may not be that appealing to longtime Indiana Jones fans, but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is still a great adventure with more than enough action and (slightly) funny dialogue. Shia LaBeouf is not a problem. The movie is very underrated.
  4. Dec 7, 2014
    This movie wasn't so good. AND I MEAN It WASN'T! How does aliens have anything to do with Indiana Jones! This is not Halo or Star Wars or Star Trek! What the hell? Hmph. Sorry. The movie is definitely GOOD but the Alien thing and the refrigerator part were kinda cool and dumb.
  5. Sep 10, 2014
    Okay, fail. Just fail. I heard they were gonna do another Indiana Jones and I was really excited. It's hard to argue with the consistency of the other three films and their delivery. But what happened? Why??? There had to be hundreds of ideas they could have considered for the plot, but they had to pick one about aliens. And personally I am incredibly tired of alien movies. Of course theyOkay, fail. Just fail. I heard they were gonna do another Indiana Jones and I was really excited. It's hard to argue with the consistency of the other three films and their delivery. But what happened? Why??? There had to be hundreds of ideas they could have considered for the plot, but they had to pick one about aliens. And personally I am incredibly tired of alien movies. Of course they try to make it not seem like its about aliens by trying to twist the plot into seeming like it's about "alternate-dimensional beings" and not aliens. Even though they look just like aliens and travel in flying saucers. George Lucas...stop guy, just stop. You've already proven all you can do is make movies about space and milk it for all it's worth. Steven shouldn't have listened to you. I loved seeing Harrison Ford back in action but they threw him in an environment that made his character seem off-step and on the cheesier side. They had good elements and solid plot points to work with like Indy having a long lost son, but Shia was not a good cast for it, watering down any good momentum they had. The CGI seemed out of place and labored as well. I wanted to like this. But I just can't. Crystal Skull mortally wounded the Indiana Jones series. Expand
  6. Jul 24, 2014
    'Kingdom of Crystal Skull's' action scenes are so effortlessly fake I instantly find a dislike for the movie. The action scenes lack the deadpan delivery of Harrison Ford, the CGI was horridly unnecessary, that it destroyed the classic tradition of Indian Jones, and Shia Labeouf was so conceited I wished he had gotten eaten by the ants (By the way, Siafu ants don't live in South America,'Kingdom of Crystal Skull's' action scenes are so effortlessly fake I instantly find a dislike for the movie. The action scenes lack the deadpan delivery of Harrison Ford, the CGI was horridly unnecessary, that it destroyed the classic tradition of Indian Jones, and Shia Labeouf was so conceited I wished he had gotten eaten by the ants (By the way, Siafu ants don't live in South America, George Lucas). This film should have been made in the mid 90's at the most, when this s**t CGI didn't exist. Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2014
    Probably the worst film I have ever seen. Not only because of its reliance on incredibly bad CG effect, but also because of the shlock camp value and idiocy of the villains. No one should ever see this film!
  8. May 12, 2014
    Another Indy flick arrives, and is as good as ever, a entertaining action adventure film Indiana Jones is my most beloved movies and this ads to the great adventure trilogy, hopefully the cast Harrison Ford and crew will return for a fifth outing. I rate this a nine out of ten
  9. May 5, 2014
    Uhhh guys...what happened here? i kinda expected this frm Lucas after the prequels but speilberg? really? this was thebest you could do? you couldnt have just left Indy to be a trilogy ?
  10. May 3, 2014
    Though it isn't better than the first three films (then again, what could?), The Crystal Skull never does any real damage and is worth its weight in the popcorn.
  11. Mar 8, 2014
    At times you feel that it's slightly repeated, this fourth installment does not disappoint. It has a number of great thrills, exciting chases, and it's just good fun.
  12. Feb 8, 2014
    I'm so disappointed! The first three parts were excellent! And this part had some good actions because of the new technology compared to the technology of the previous ones. But when I saw that kid jumping with monkeys and many other stupid scene, I was very disappointed!
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to create an account just so I could review this atrocity! I honestly can't find one thing positive to say (It took me two attempts to even get through it!). Harrison Ford is as grouchy as ever and has no chemistry with anyone on screen. Karen Allen still can't act and Shia LeBeouf brings nothing to his role. Even Cate Blanchett seems to have nothing to do with her stereotypical role beyond her accent and atrocious wig. The plot is moronic and the third act may have actually cost me IQ points! Every chatty scene (and there are A LOT of them!) looks like it takes place on an indoor set and every action scene looks like it takes place in front of a green screen. Which may be on purpose but it's far more obtrusive than in previous installments. I could write full paragraphs on the stupidity of the refrigerator, Oxley, the monkeys, the quicksand/snake scene, the ants, the waterfalls, the aliens, the well as deus ex machina OR the fact that Mutt's real name is Henry Jones III, yet he somehow believes it's Henry Williams. OR a tenured professor who cannot pronounce the word "nuclear" correctly. Ugh. Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as bad as some people might think, but nevertheless, Indy is not in his prime anymore. The adventure and mystifying elements of the first three movies were all brought down by the use of aliens at the end. really> Aliens? Very unsatisfying. Either way, the rest of the movie wasn't bad. Expand
  15. Dec 21, 2013
    There is a moment watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I realized that maybe seeing this film was a bad idea. That moment occurred less than 3 minutes in when way too much time and effort was spent focusing on a CG gopher, that did not look at all real. It added nothing to the plot and just looked bad. Someone, somewhere made a bad choice leaving that in. InThere is a moment watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull when I realized that maybe seeing this film was a bad idea. That moment occurred less than 3 minutes in when way too much time and effort was spent focusing on a CG gopher, that did not look at all real. It added nothing to the plot and just looked bad. Someone, somewhere made a bad choice leaving that in. In effect choosing cheap thrills over trying to make a good movie. There were a lot of things like that because it was the start of a long disappointing ride.
    My favorite moment in this film is when Indiana Jones rides out that nuclear blast in the lead lined fridge. He comes out the other side alive and in one piece. Sure he gets the awkward scrub-down after. But he`s not cooked hamburger, which is a testament to how ridiculous the film is as a whole.
    I don`t really remember much of the ``plot`` of the middle of the film. Something about not dead-dead people, a crazy friend and indies son played by actor Shia Labeouf. I get they were trying to go for an Indie 2.0 here. Maybe create a character likable enough for a spinoff franchise, or taking up Harrison Ford`s mantle. In this regard they failed badly. His character has all the swagger of Indiana at the end of the original trilogy, without having done anything to earn it. And it makes him extremely un-likable. They should have gone back to basics. Choosing an actor that more reflects Indiana at the start of the first film and show him growing up.
    Throw in all the extremely unlikely chase sequences (I know how ridiculous the original trilogy is in that regard, but the setup was better), the intermittent magnetism of the crystal skull, Harrison Ford being ``too old for this sh*t`` and capping it all off with that bizarre out of left field ending. And what you are left with is something so awful it does not deserve acknowledgement as an Indiana Jones film. This is a bad B movie with A list actors, an A list director, and a huge budget.

If one good thing came of this film it is this. Scientists went back and examined the crystal skull`s in the museums, and found them all to be fraudulently passed off as historical relics, when they are more simply modern art.
  16. Nov 13, 2013
    Crystal Skull has viewers bashing in theirs.
    Indiana Jones makes a very unnecessary sequel to the otherwise spotless series. The acting was okay, but the story was painfully flawed with a mediocre script, and a nearly pointless ending.
  17. Nov 8, 2013
    I don't know why, but I somehow liked this movie. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It's not the best of the Indiana Jones Movies, but it is certainly not the worst. Then again, none of them are bad to me.
  18. Oct 8, 2013
    They should've thought about this idea 10-15 years earlier, when Harrison Ford wasn't a senior citizen. Also, it should've stuck true to the original trilogy (Go away Shia LaBeouf) Second really big flaw is they gave us more of a 50s groove then a 30s charm. In Raiders of the Losr Ark, It was clear the villain was Belloq. In the Temple of Doom, Mola Ram and the Last Crusade was Donovan andThey should've thought about this idea 10-15 years earlier, when Harrison Ford wasn't a senior citizen. Also, it should've stuck true to the original trilogy (Go away Shia LaBeouf) Second really big flaw is they gave us more of a 50s groove then a 30s charm. In Raiders of the Losr Ark, It was clear the villain was Belloq. In the Temple of Doom, Mola Ram and the Last Crusade was Donovan and Schneider. Here, the only villains I see are Spielberg and Lucas Expand
  19. Sep 4, 2013
    [5.9] This is an adventure movie, and that's all. It surprised me, and was much better than I expected, but it's still an adventure movie that is almost self-consciously unimpressive. Making a good movie doesn't always involve dedicating it to nostalgia. It was fun, but it was horribly shallow.
  20. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everybody thinks that Indiana Jones & the Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull is a bad movie, but c'mon people, it's been 19 years since the last movie! They had to change the storyline to update it with the times! By 1957, the Americans have defeated the Nazis & engaged in a space race with the Russians! This was the Cold War, not World War II! And besides, Harrison Ford & Karen Allen are still really good actors! Expand
  21. Jul 15, 2013
    I personally really enjoyed this film, it was full of fun action/adventure sequences and had a rather interesting story or script. It felt amazing to have Indy back in action, while this is the worst film of the series, it still is a great film! The style of the 50s is present and perfectly set, along with its Crystal Skull which matched the times (just like now a days everyone isI personally really enjoyed this film, it was full of fun action/adventure sequences and had a rather interesting story or script. It felt amazing to have Indy back in action, while this is the worst film of the series, it still is a great film! The style of the 50s is present and perfectly set, along with its Crystal Skull which matched the times (just like now a days everyone is obsessed with Zombies, the 50s had people obsessing with aliens). The film packs in great action sequences, a fun script (with only one disappointing part at the end of the film), great acting by all the cast (Harrison Ford has still got it) and the music once again is awesome. Overall I really enjoyed this film and I look forward to a possible Indiana Jones 5. Expand
  22. Jul 7, 2013
    As the credits rolled, I turned to my brother and said, "It's official: Temple of Doom is no longer the worst Indiana Jones film."

Crystal Suck is one of the few movies I've ever seen that actually managed to insult me. South Park's parody of the film's reception where George Lucas and Steven Spielberg repeatedly rape Indy was just... well... to use a cliche'd term, it "resonated".

It's the most cynical cash-in I've ever seen. I mean, even Blues Brothers 2000, train wreck through it was, believed in itself. Crystal Skull feels like George Lucas going "nyah nyah! You didn't like my Star Wars prequels so thanks for the ten bucks and screw you, jack!"

p.s. Shia Lebeouf needs a serious beating.
  23. May 11, 2013
    It's been a while since Indy has been on the big screen and the decision to make a new fresh film might not have paid off. It's a good movie, and certainly entertaining, but too heavy on CGI in my opinion and as well as that Cate Blanchett just can't pull off the villain well. It has its shining moments and there's no denying it's a fun cast, but the new characters like Mutt & Irina simplyIt's been a while since Indy has been on the big screen and the decision to make a new fresh film might not have paid off. It's a good movie, and certainly entertaining, but too heavy on CGI in my opinion and as well as that Cate Blanchett just can't pull off the villain well. It has its shining moments and there's no denying it's a fun cast, but the new characters like Mutt & Irina simply don't compare to those of the originals. Overall fans will probably still like it, and I did too. Expand
  24. May 10, 2013
    He may not be the best, but it has Harrison Ford in the style of the character, and packed with a good plot regularly, makes it worthwhile.And it shows that the union of Spielberg and Lucas still works right.
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    This movie definitely has its mixed reviews. It's usually you either really hate this movie or really love this movie. Personally, I'm kind of inbetween, but honestly it was still an enjoyable Indiana Jones movie. I think it's safe to say that it has some of the old and the new. For old, it still has its enjoyable swash-buckling action sequences, which truly helps give the movie a boostThis movie definitely has its mixed reviews. It's usually you either really hate this movie or really love this movie. Personally, I'm kind of inbetween, but honestly it was still an enjoyable Indiana Jones movie. I think it's safe to say that it has some of the old and the new. For old, it still has its enjoyable swash-buckling action sequences, which truly helps give the movie a boost (in a sense). For the new, it adds in some new characters and a plot that doesn't live up to the trilogy's expectations. All the characters are pretty average and have some good moments, but there's one big problem that stands in there way. This movie has some of the worst screenplay I've ever heard. When you hear a character say those cheesy on-liners, it just sounds terrible. The reason I gave this movie a 6 is that it has good memorable swash-buckling action and the story (beside getting to the alien part) really tries to bring back a legend. Overall, for some of its major bumps on the road, it's still an enjoyable Indiana Jones movie. Expand
  26. Feb 23, 2013
    After 20 years, Indiana Jones returned for a new generation to enjoy. It is simply amazing that at almost 70 years of age, Harrison Ford was able to do this movie, and even perform some of his own stunts. In the film, they introduce Shia LaBeouf as his son, so that the franchise can continue. Indiana Jones has been around since the early 80s. There are hundreds of books and stories theyAfter 20 years, Indiana Jones returned for a new generation to enjoy. It is simply amazing that at almost 70 years of age, Harrison Ford was able to do this movie, and even perform some of his own stunts. In the film, they introduce Shia LaBeouf as his son, so that the franchise can continue. Indiana Jones has been around since the early 80s. There are hundreds of books and stories they could have chosen from, and I suspect most of them would have been better than the Crystal Skull. Don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't bad, but aliens, Elvis, sword fights on the back of a jeep, cannibalistic ants, and Shia swinging through the Amazon with a family of monkeys? That's not Indiana Jones. I realize they wanted to portray him in perhaps the final years of his career, but the story was not great. The action scenes, effects, stunts, and cast were all great, and what you've come to expect from Indy, but the movie itself wasn't the best. It's enjoyable and worth seeing, but for the most part it doesn't fit with what we know of Indiana Jones. Expand
  27. Jan 13, 2013
    The spark of action humour and villains has fizzled out and George Lucas has killed another good film series, repeating the disaster of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.
  28. Dec 31, 2012
    The saddest thing about this movie.. is if it weren't for just a few really terrible scenes (that could leave some viewers insulted by suggesting they are so gullible and easy to please that they will buy into ridiculously outlandish and stupid scenes)... it could have fit nicely with part's 1 and 3. Unfortunately, this film was somewhere near the temple of doom (although I would sayThe saddest thing about this movie.. is if it weren't for just a few really terrible scenes (that could leave some viewers insulted by suggesting they are so gullible and easy to please that they will buy into ridiculously outlandish and stupid scenes)... it could have fit nicely with part's 1 and 3. Unfortunately, this film was somewhere near the temple of doom (although I would say Temple of Doom was still worse).

The main scene that comes to mind is the part where Indy's son and the Russian are sword fighting on two jeeps... this is where I really made up my mind that this film was totally blown, even though it was already heading in that direction fast. The beauty of Indy 1 and 3 and many other good adventure classics, are that although very fantastical, they still have an element of believability within the world created by the movie.

Indy and the Crystal Skulls completely lost sight of trying to stay believable, and I think that's why so many hardcore fans were really turned off almost feeling that their intelligence had been insulted (Although I know this certainly wasn't the intent of the makers, but just the reality of how many viewers felt).
  29. Dec 29, 2012
    I've never understood the hate for this belated fourth Indy installment. "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is just about everything I expected it to be . . . just another Indiana Jones film. It's a sweet and satisfying nostalgic indulgence that brings back everything you knew and loved about the series. No, of course it's not as memorable as the first three, and yeah, it is tamer and moreI've never understood the hate for this belated fourth Indy installment. "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is just about everything I expected it to be . . . just another Indiana Jones film. It's a sweet and satisfying nostalgic indulgence that brings back everything you knew and loved about the series. No, of course it's not as memorable as the first three, and yeah, it is tamer and more family-friendly than the others. But it's not a bad movie, it's still a lot of fun. Shia is, to great relief, much more bearable here than in "Transformers"; Cate Blanchett is great as the Soviet villain; and the plotline with the crystal skull is very entertaining. And yeah, I don't mind the aliens. I honestly don't. They were still done in the same way as the Ark, the Grail or even the Temple of Doom - it was just aliens this time, and about as plausible as any of the other concepts. The jungle chase sequence is the highlight of the action (and I'll admit, yeah, the monkeys were just a tad silly), the alien discovery scene is fun, there's some fun new music score (listen closely for a brief borrowing from Speilberg's 'War of the Worlds') and overall, it's just . . . fun. Pure popcorn fun. And what the heck's wrong with that? True, the Indy series would have been more than fine as a trilogy, but this last-minute addition is certainly a welcome encore and deserves its place along the other three. Expand
  30. Dec 27, 2012
    The whole Aliens ending was an awful way to end the film but it was still enjoyable to watch. It was action packed, Had good acting, and it was entertaining. I can see why Indiana Jones fans hate it but it wasn't all that bad.

1. Harrison Ford? Terrific -- and re-energized.
  2. Director Steven Spielberg seems intent on celebrating his entire early career here. Whatever the story there is, a vague journey to return a spectacular archeological find to its rightful home -- an unusual goal of the old grave-robber, you must admit -- gets swamped in a sea of stunts and CGI that are relentless as the scenes and character relationships are charmless.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    There are scenes in the new movie that seem like stretching exercises at a retirement home; there are garrulous stretches, and even the title seems a few words too long. But once it gets going, Crystal Skull delivers smart, robust, familiar entertainment.