7.7

1. Apr 25, 2015
    With Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of whereWith Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino has made his best movie since Pulp Fiction. He has also made what could arguably be considered the most audacious World War II movie of all-time. If you think there are rules for this sort of motion picture, guess again. And it's not just that Tarantino is using the spaghetti western as his template; it's that the sheer unpredictability of where all this is going makes it compelling from beginning to end. Even the film's occasional artistic flourishes (such as chapter titles and out-of-period music pieces) work within the context of what Tarantino is trying to accomplish. This is clearly an attempt by the director to expand his range and step outside of the comfort zone in which he has worked for the majority of his career.

Tarantino brings to Inglourious Basterds his not inconsiderable knowledge of films. The movie is awash in references - some subtle, some obvious - that run the gamut from D-grade exploitation flicks to A-list classics. This is not, as has been reported in some places, a remake of the 1978 feature The Inglorious Bastards, although the title is an homage. Reportedly, some of Tarantino's nascent versions of the screenplay used elements of the earlier film, but those are mostly gone in the final edition. This is pretty much 100% Tarantino, which could be good or bad, depending on your opinion of the man's work.

Tarantino loves dialogue and, between taut, brutal action sequences, there's a lot of talking. The conversations aren't as elliptical as some of those in the director's previous efforts, but there are some intriguing moments - a Nazi providing a detailed comparison between Jew-hunting and rat-hunting, a 20 questions-like guessing game with the answer of "King Kong," and a reverse Cinderella encounter in which having a foot to fit the shoe is not a good thing. (Tarantino gets his trademark foot fetish shot in this scene.) There is a point to the talk, however, that goes beyond the filmmaker showing off his skill with words. All these scenes precede instances of sudden, violent action and the threat of bloodshed is heavy in the air. With every sentence, the tension mounts. Tarantino uses these sequences to prime the audience, teasing them until the suspense is nearly unbearable, then releasing it in one explosive burst.

Watching Inglourious Basterds, I was reminded of Paul Verhoeven's Black Book and Bryan Singer's Valkyrie, both of which contain themes and ideas that are echoed here. This is no Schindler's List. It's not about nobility or sacrifice. It's about the dirty, bloody side of war. Yes, there's heroism, but a lot is hidden away in order for those who receive medals to retain a patina of valor. Inglourious Basterds is suffused with dark humor - so much so that it's tempting to label it an action/comedy. There are laugh-out-loud moments, and not one guffaw is the result of something unintentional. This is nothing new for Tarantino, who has always interwoven humor with violence, but its incorporation here, amidst some of his bleakest material, is refreshingly unsettling.

Inglourious Basterds isn't as fresh and freewheeling as Pulp Fiction, but Tarantino is now an established director and a known quantity. That he is able to successfully pull off some of what he does in this movie is a testimony to his skill at both writing and directing. Yes - he borrows heavily and shamelessly from other movies, but it's in the unique fusion of those sources and styles that he achieves his success. Despite having so many antecedents, Inglourious Basterds quickly carves out its own niche. The running length is a gaudy 153 minutes, yet the film moves so smoothly and the moving parts come together so cleanly that the time passes easily. This is the movie I have been awaiting since Pulp Fiction. It's one hell of an enjoyable ride into the nightmare that was Nazi-occupied France, and thinking you know how it all ends doesn't make it so.
  2. Dec 1, 2014
    I am not a Tarantino fan with the exception of Reservoir Dogs (which I cannot fully explain), but this film is something else! Seriously, Christoph Waltz is unreal and the dialogue is worth every moment, even the base conversation in the farmhouse in the opening sequence.

I can also identify and understand it is not for everyone; however, it is undeniably unique, captivating, entertaining, twitch inducing, and during a few moments, difficult to watch, yet I only enjoy the more I see it.

Correction: This film was directed by Taratino while Eli Roth was uncredited.
  3. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Written and directed masterfully by Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds was a thrill ride all the way through with Christoph Waltz's brilliant Oscar winning role as Hans Landa and Brad Pitt's role as the Nazi scalping LT. Aldo Raine had me laughing all the way through. Inglourious Basterds tells the the tale of a bunch of Americans in Nazi occupied France near the end of War World 2. You can tell that this is Tarantino's take on how Hitler should have died and should have been killed, with the awesome scene near the end(Spoilers), where the Americans burn the theater with all the Nazi's in there and you see two American soldiers gun down Hitler and his accomplice. Tarantino is one of the best screenwriters/directors working today with such hits under his belt like, Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, and Reservir Dogs and with only one bad movie under his belt which is Death Proof. But after all that I'm going to give Inglourious Bastereds an A+. Check it out guys its worth a watch. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2014
    QUENTIN **** TARANTINO KNOCKS IT OUT OF THE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FENWAY PARK ON IT'S FEET FOR QUENTIN **** MOVIE!!!!!!!! He went yardo on that one, out to **** Hollywood.
  5. Oct 26, 2014
    What a whopper of a war film. Great job QT! I definitely need to see this one again. Diane Kruger is fabulous as are all the rest the cast. You will find yourself swept up by the acting and the scenery. You can't help but cheer for Shoshanna.
  6. Oct 21, 2014
    In the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts ofIn the first year of the German occupation of France, Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa. Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, lieutenant Aldo Raine organizes a group of Jewish American soldiers to perform swift, shocking acts of retribution. Later known to their enemy as "the basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget von Hammersmark on a mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquis, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2014
    Bold and fearless throughout. Tarantino has created a film without boundaries--allowing us to immerse ourselves into his unconvential, freakish and often extraordinary adventure. Christoph Waltz gives the finest performance of the year in the best film of the year!
  8. May 24, 2014
    This film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography andThis film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography and great acting, namely from Christoph Waltz, who absolutely killed it. Brad Pitt was also great and quite hilarious, to boot. From the onset of the film, Waltz' performance takes center stage as we watch him do what he does best: hunt Jews. We then see the same from his counterpart, Pitt, who is great at killing Nazis. These first two parts of the film really setup the film incredibly well for the final act, where spoilers. In addition to Waltz and Pitt, the whole cast did exceptionally well, in partucular Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger. Michael Fassbender, Daniel Bruhl, and shockingly, Mike Myers, all have good turns as well. Throughout the film, there are many different genres being used terrifically. Of note, the comedic elements were great, in particular the scene in which Pitt attempts to speak Italian. These moments of comedy help to lighten the mood against the hyper violence that takes place (though never too dusturbing, typically the stuff depicted would bother me more, but Tarantino is so stylish, he gets away with it). However, the film also includes many thrilling/suspenseful scenes where your heart is in your throat as you await what happens, while coupling that with elements of war, drama, adventure, action genres, all of which used very artfully and really help to add to the general entertainment of the film.

On the negative side, the final part is a tad over the top. It came off as extremely odd and slightly off putting. However, the impact on the viewer is certainly still great and any over the topness is not a major complaint, rather something small that bugged me a little bit. Overall, Inglourious Basterds is one of Tarantino's best films and ultimately worthy of the praise it has received since its release.
  9. Feb 21, 2014
    I love it. I love everything about it; the comedy is great, the acting is done very well, and the story s great. This movie has one or two flaws but overall 9/10
  10. Feb 11, 2014
    Absolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of BradAbsolutely a fantastic movie, more of an 8.5 out of 10 though. I'm the kind of person who has trouble finishing things they don't care much about; I couldn't sit through more than about 56 minutes of the movie 'Her'. Yet, Inglorious Bastards sucked me in from the beginning. Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and I really enjoyed watching Nazi scums getting pulverized, maybe it's because of Brad Pitt's predominantly INCREDIBLE (as always, mr. Pitt) performance, or maybe it was all that and more that made me really like this movie throughout (almost) every minute with a whopping playtime of two hours and about twenty five minutes. Expand
  11. Jan 14, 2014
    When I heard I was going to watch this movie in cinema, I began to sulk but when Brad Pitt's character was introduced, I nearly spilled my Gatorade due to that thick humorous American accent. The movie lost it's way somewhere in the middle but the ending was...Bravo! One of my favorite movies!
  12. Sep 4, 2013
    Really nice story, if you've seen game of thrones or fantasy, and have a passion for knowledge of WWII, this is one of the best films for you too watch. Loads of people are saying the plot is too slow moving, but I disagree, as it allows you to take in exactly what is happening and links all the stories together.
    By far one of my favorite films 10/10 would watch again
  13. Jul 7, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewritesInglourious Basterds is Quentin Tarantino's best work since 1994's Pulp Fiction. It's crazy, nasty fun, and pure, unadulterated Tarantino. It's also a glorious love letter to film that goes as far as to literally use film stock as a means to try and wipe out Hitler and his high command. Inglourious Basterds is an audacious movie, a World War II fantasy film in which Tarantino rewrites history by doing what every sane person on the planet would loved to have had the opportunity to do. Basterds is a long movie and one that doesn't always work, but when it does, it's absolutely mesmerizing. There's a lot going on in Inglorious Basterds, but Tarantino divides up the film into five chapters to give every character his or her due and every plotline time to develop. The first chapter introduces us to creepy Col. Hans Landa (nickname: The Jew Hunter). Landa enters a French farmhouse to interrogate dairy farmer Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet) and the scene that unfolds is a work of art, deserving of a second, and even third viewing. Landa asks for milk, seems as friendly as a kitten as he compliments the farmer on his delicious, nutritious product, and then, slowly, smoothly, the claws come out. Landa's evil incarnate, and he knows how to manipulate his prey without resorting to threatening behavior. Landa's after a family of Jewish farmers who've managed to elude him, and with an eerie calmness he weaves a story of hawks and rats, and turns the stalwart LaPadite into quivering prey. Other chapters introduce us to the remaining key players in the Inglourious Basterds universe. Lt Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt using a hilariously over-the-top accent) commands the Basterds, an elite group of Jewish soldiers whose sole purpose is to kill Nazis. But not just kill Nazis...no, the Basterds are out to butcher and scalp, exacting their special form of retribution on the Nazis for the horrors they inflected on Jewish men, women and children. While the Basterds joyously go about their Nazi killing mission, in Paris theater owner Shosanna (Melanie Laurent) goes about plotting her own revenge on the invading force. Pursued romantically by Nazi war hero Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl), Shosanna is presented with the opportunity to kill hundreds of Nazis in one fell swoop. Fredrick's exploits from earlier in the war have been immortalized in a movie directed by high-ranking official Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and starring Fredrick as himself. Fredrick's wooing of Shosanna leads him to campaign for a change of venue for the premiere of Goebbels' film, Nation's Pride. Believing it will win over the French beauty, he requests Goebbels hold the event at Shosanna's theater, thus providing Shosanna with an unbelievable opportunity to wipe out Hitler and other major players in the Nazi party. Meanwhile, German's shining star of the silver screen, Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) is also involved in a plan to end Hitler's reign of terror. Working with the Basterds, von Hammersmark is plotting to take out Hitler at the film's premiere, which leads to the main players of Inglourious Basterds finally, at long last, coming together as the film winds toward its delicious, violent, explosive final act. Inglourious Basterds presents an alternate history, one far more pleasing than reality. Yes, it's talky, loaded with references to films past, and when things get violent, Tarantino doesn't shirk from showing the gore. But every single word in Inglourious Basterds is necessary, every scene serves a specific purpose, and every one of its 152 minutes is vital to the overall story. Tarantino is doing Tarantino here, but he's also showing a more restrained and focused style we haven't seen before from the man behind Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse: Death Proof. Tarantino wedges in just as many film references as he's done with his prior movies, but not to the point of distraction as has occurred in some of his past work. Inglourious Basterds is a twisted World War II film filled with witty dialogue, rife with colorful characters, and sure to stir up controversy over its reshaping of history. Perfectly cast and exquisitely shot and edited, this is one WWII movie in which the outcome isn't lifted from the history books. It will, however, go down in history as one of Tarantino's most intriguing and entertaining films. Expand
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    It's not historically accurate, but that's not what you should see this movie for. Why you need to see this is because of many things: Fantastic acting. Wonderful dialogue. Great story and plot. To top it all of, the movie is the type that can be watched over and over again. The best Tarantino movie for sure and in my top 10.
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    A film carried by Christoph Waltz's brilliant performance. He mixes menacing evil with a sense of style through Tarantino's fantastic script. Tarantino continues to be one of the great directors of our time.
  16. Apr 25, 2013
    Best movie of Tarantino since Pulp Fiction Amazing film with a bunch of legendary scenes. Christoph Waltz he gives us one of the best performances of all time, no joke.
  17. Apr 5, 2013
    Wow, this movie is awesome. Tarantino never disappoints me by so far. The actors are very good and the story better. This is the movie I search for over a year, with this kind of action and war. Very good film.
  18. Mar 9, 2013
    People say Tarantino's best is Pulp Fiction. I will have to say that Basterds was more pleasing on several levels. This WWII half spoof half seriousness pleases audiences everywhere making it a truly memorable film.
  19. Feb 27, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino has created a monster, as the marketing suggests, Brad Pitt is a Basterd, Eli Roth is a Basterd and so on, this is a film that aims so high and mighty, and hits all the marks without fail, a true masterpiece from Tarantino as he continues to exceed himself.
    Set during the first year of the German occupation of France, the film tells a variety of stories, one being the tale of runaway Jew Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) who escapes from the Lt. Hans Landa played by the brilliant Christophe Waltz, who is a chilling but calm character in his delivery, but it is ultimately the pacing and the shear unorthodox film-making skills of Tarantino that truly set this film off on a frantic run that just doesn't stop.
    Brad Pitt puts a typically stellar performance as Lt. Aldo Raine, the leader of the Basterds, who tasks his men with killing and scalping Nazi soldiers, Shosanna, meanwhile, has now changed her name and owns a cinema in Paris, and the opportunity arises for her to exact revenge on the Nazis thanks to her owning said cinema.
    This is quite an ensemble cast including Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, the multi-talented Michael Fassbender and even Mike Myers. Also look out for voiceovers by Samuel L. Jackson and Harvey Kietel The truly remarkable feat achieved by this film is that no one actor or actress entirely populates the movie, the film consistently cuts to different situations in an effort to tell a story for each character, and to truly introduce each persona as having an important role to play in the film.
    The Tarantino style is told from the get-go, as just like Kill Bill, the film is told in chapters, with small snippets of his work throughout, the gore, the bizarre dialogue, but most of all, the engaging and tense long scenes which really set the tone of a thrilling film, with the viewer not being quite sure just what is going to happen next in many of the scenes, a particular one being that involving a small French tavern where Fassbenders character is meeting a double agent, this is simply the highlight of the film, it has drama, different cuts and nail-biting dialogue to suggest throughout it that something just isn't right.
    The cinematography is simply excellent and thought-provokingly unique, offering various incarnations of an environment that just add to the gleaming picture.
    It has all the makings to be a classic, with particularly mind-blowing performances, especially from Christophe Waltz, who is just an absolute treat to admire in his capabilities throughout the entire film.
    To quote Lt. Aldo Raine, which Tarantino should now use for himself..."This just might be my masterpiece"
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    A brilliant film that's one of Tarantino's absolute best. Some of the scenes run a bit long, but the sharp screenplay moves the plot along nicely. Solid performances. One of the best of 2009!
  21. Jan 19, 2013
    Inglourious Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie. It's funny, brutal, unpredictable, inappropriate, beautifully shot and has an amazing soundtrack. There are so many memorable moments in this film! Inglourious Basterds is a wholly satisfying experience that I couldn't ask more of.
  22. Dec 29, 2012
    I will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about whatI will begin this review by stating that this my favorite Tarantino film to date. The movie has received flak by critics for portrayal of the Jewish American men being and reflecting the brutality of the Nazis against the German opposition. While I feel this is unfair and those who feel this way are missing the point of this movie entirely. The movie is a fantasy WWII movie about what people wanted to happen in the War. It is safe to say that Nazis are some the most hated group of people in the history of our planet. With hatred comes the ability for people to dehumanize the Nazi. People tend to not care how they are treated and even forget that not every, and even most Germans, were not Nazis. The Jewish-American treatment of the Germans was brutal and graphic because Tarantino wanted people to realize that they were Nazis and at the same time were still people.
    The movie itself is beautifully directed with emotional dialog and no shortage of action. Those who are upset at the overly gory action and violence have apparently not watched Quentin Tarantino films before. If you dislike or despise this, then don't watch Quentin Tarantino. The two storylines in the movie were both artfully crafted with as much character development as possible when you try to split time evenly between two separate and equally as important parts. Golden movie, loved every moment. Highly recommended unless you don't like reading subtitles; there are a lot of subtitles.
  23. Nov 16, 2012
    For me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entireFor me this is by far Tarantino's second best movie. The first scene in this movie is one of the best and most intense that I have seen in any movie...ever. The way that Tarantino can put together such a lengthy scene like this, packing a punch with the dialogue, the intensity, and developing his characters. In one scene we can see what kind of character Waltz will be through the entire film. Absolutely brilliant. The opening scene and the scene in the bar, which lasts probably half an hour by itself, are enough to make this one of my favorite movies. There are a couple points at which this movie drags just a bit, and this is what keeps it from being a perfect 10 in my opinion. In my estimation Tarantino has three movies: Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Basterds, that show that he is a brilliant story teller, writer, and casts his movies flawlessly. It is a shame he cannot show these capabilities every time he makes a film. Expand
  24. Nov 7, 2012
    Bastards is Tarantino's best movie since Pulp Fiction, and its an adrenaline fueled epic and an audacious war film that manages to sizzle with both familiarity and complete originality. He's taken World War II and made it his own.
  25. May 27, 2012
    A war movie only Tarantino can pull off. I knew it was special when I saw it in theaters, and with every watch my respect only grows. Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine is one of my favorite performances ever. "I think this might just be my masterpiece." Yes, Quentin Tarantino, it's one of many from you but it is, indeed, a masterpiece.
  26. May 26, 2012
    When all the story lines finally come together you realize this movie is a masterpiece. With all the cast giving breathtakingly solid performances especially Waltz and Laurent. You will be offered amazing action and wonderful cinematography to spare. I give the movie 98%.
  27. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. every man can dream it, but only one man can do it: kill adolf hitler. i most certainly wasn't expecting Basterds to become an alternate history movie, and i know not to expect anything from quentin tarantino. i was sort of going into this movie for just the violence, but i found the dialogues to be the more interesting part. the action on tarantino's behalf is always more of the 'person A shoots person B' type, in a wa that it's not really that visually interesting, but i think that makes it more realistic. i only give tens to movies that i thought didn't have a single mistake, and i carefully consider giving any movie one of them. this time, i was a bit doubtful, thinking if the movie could have been any more perfect, but by heart went out for the golden medal, so here we are. Expand
  28. May 2, 2012
    A bold war movie unlike no other. The film is as funny as it is thrilling. With Inglorious Basterds Tarantino has shown once again that he can make fun thrilling stylised films while adding intricusies and good writting. Not quite Pulp Fiction but it is still very good. What a relief after the Kill Bill series to see Inglorious Basterds.
  29. Feb 7, 2012
    this movie is so great, its one of my favourite movies of all time it deserved more oscars Christopher Waltz deserved that oscar but a few more to this movie would of been better
  30. Jan 4, 2012
    Christoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, heChristoph Waltz indeed made this film the epic that it is. It however can drag just a little bit, if it was cut 20 minutes or so shorter that would be great, but despite that it was still a great film. The movie must be seen for Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Col. Hans Landa, he was perfect in his scenes in every way. He made the movie. Also Brad Pitt had his funny moments as well, he was pretty good at his role as well. Expand
  31. Dec 24, 2011
    An action-packed, edge-of-your-seat, stunningly acted wow-fest, this movie delivers. Quentin Tarantino proves again why he's the best in the business and Christoph Waltz proves why foreign actors are better than American. Although it is certainly not the feel good movie of the year, you will find your jaw dropping multiple times as you discover how brilliant this film truly is.
  32. Dec 1, 2011
    Another superb Tarantino film! The performances are all top-notch and yes, Waltz is as pitch-perfect as ever in his role. The dialogue in this film is so interesting and I found myself listening intently to what every character had to say, which is present in every Tarantino film. The cinematography is spectacular. At several points this movie gets crazy and then it scales back into it'sAnother superb Tarantino film! The performances are all top-notch and yes, Waltz is as pitch-perfect as ever in his role. The dialogue in this film is so interesting and I found myself listening intently to what every character had to say, which is present in every Tarantino film. The cinematography is spectacular. At several points this movie gets crazy and then it scales back into it's lighter finesse, but all the while it remains engrossing. I did feel it got a tad bogged down here and there, but overall this is a very very fine picture! Expand
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    Another brilliant movie in Tarantino's style. Showing us another point of view to the 2 World War, we get on a trip inside the Inglorious Bastards crew, jew's trained to blow up the Nazi head, and in the mind of the full-of-revenge jew Shosanna Dreyfus, that wants to revenge her family, killed by the crazy SS coronel Hans Landa. With great cast (special applauses for Christoph Waltz, DaineAnother brilliant movie in Tarantino's style. Showing us another point of view to the 2 World War, we get on a trip inside the Inglorious Bastards crew, jew's trained to blow up the Nazi head, and in the mind of the full-of-revenge jew Shosanna Dreyfus, that wants to revenge her family, killed by the crazy SS coronel Hans Landa. With great cast (special applauses for Christoph Waltz, Daine Kruger and Melánie Laurent) and a bloody story, we get again, the best from Tarantino. Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2011
    Loved the film, mainly because of the characters. They are lovable and adorable (if it's not weird to say this while talking about a war movie). The director (Tarantino) did a great job.
  35. Oct 8, 2011
    The Tarantino take on World War II is far more sensible and respectful than anyone would have imagined. The genius balance between the darkest of black comedy and heart wrenching tragedy is, in a word, sublime. Even in the first twenty minutes, I found myself on the verge of tears, and then five seconds later laughing my guts out. Or my scalp off.
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill
    The tale follows an elaborate plot to kill Hitler and his cohorts, recruiting a German movie star, a delightfully murderous â
  36. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    You know what you're getting into when you go to a Tarantino movie. Lot's of action, sharp dialogue, and a entertaining story line. With all the remakes and comic book movies, it's nice to know someone original, like Tarantino, is writing and directing today.
  37. Jul 25, 2011
    First of, stop posting opinions that are absurd. This is for critique and reviews, not for complaining.

The overall moving was great. There were dragging scenes,(exa.: the beginning where landa was questioning Lapadite about hiding jews in his house), and the ending wasn't exactly 'picture perfect', and the scalping was...ehhh, ewww? But other then that the moving was amazing. And I don't see how it is fair to give a movie a '0'. A movie SHOULD NEVER receive a zero. It's not fair, and to those who DO give zeros, you're probably people who are either anti-war, like nazis, ect.(You know).
  38. Jul 18, 2011
    The Best movie of 2009! And the best film by Quentin Tarantino. It's fantastic, a film for the cinema! In my opinion Inglourious Basterds has a perfect cast, ana script almost perfect, the best cinematography ever, and a brillant work of editing and sound effects. Tarantino grewn up with this movie, that probably is going to be a cult, in some years. Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa isThe Best movie of 2009! And the best film by Quentin Tarantino. It's fantastic, a film for the cinema! In my opinion Inglourious Basterds has a perfect cast, ana script almost perfect, the best cinematography ever, and a brillant work of editing and sound effects. Tarantino grewn up with this movie, that probably is going to be a cult, in some years. Christoph Waltz's Hans Landa is fantastic, and the Brad Pitt's Aldo Raine is hilarious! You must watch it! Expand
  39. Jun 3, 2011
    Actually, Aldo Rayne is Quentin Tarantino for himself, saying "I think this just may be my masterpiece", being hilariously selfish and changing all the natural curse of History and WWII, in this very smart and covered of references cinematographic vengeance against the Nazism. With a big support of Christoph Waltz, maybe Tarantino was really right about the masterpiece thing.
  40. POV
    Apr 3, 2011
    A dream alternative scenario to the terrors of WWII. The signature Tarantino witty dialogue you've been salivating for since Death Proof? Check. The sharp, enjoyable and cunning characters spreading over the whole spectrum of human psychology? Check.
    I enjoyed the music, the historical allusions, the Master Christoph Waltz, the plot. Maybe not all of the 2 and a half hours, but definitely the most part. YES!!
  41. Sep 10, 2010
    Fantastic Christoph Waltz ! Brilliant Tarantino! Standing Ovation for Christoph Waltz A.K.A."Hans Landa" in this movie. Best Actor for the "Oscar" in my opinion.
  42. Aug 27, 2010
    Quentin Tarantino has once again taken the reins of pop-art cinema and delivers a delicious slice of mayhem a la Nazi-occupied France, Spaghetti Western style (though some viewers may be disappointed if they were looking for a nonstop action fest - it's a talking movie in which the most prevalent languages are French and German). Christopher Waltz is stunning in his role as the "JewQuentin Tarantino has once again taken the reins of pop-art cinema and delivers a delicious slice of mayhem a la Nazi-occupied France, Spaghetti Western style (though some viewers may be disappointed if they were looking for a nonstop action fest - it's a talking movie in which the most prevalent languages are French and German). Christopher Waltz is stunning in his role as the "Jew Hunter" and Brad Pitt is pure entertainment for the small amount of time he is on screen. It's all well done, but I hesitate to rate it any higher because it all felt so familiar coming from Tarantino... Expand
  43. Aug 20, 2010
    brilliant. very funny and great acting. one of the best films to have been made in the last decade. i strongly recommend all readers to see this movie.
  44. Aug 16, 2010
    Delirious fun from ringmaster Tarantino. Unlike any World War II film ever made. Beautiful cinematography to go along with wicked dialogue and some great performances by Waltz and Kruger. The ending has a goofy twist and adds to the continuous fun, though I will say the film is very violent, maybe his most since "Kill Bill".
  45. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a terribly big fan of Tarantino, until now maybe. Seamless acting and considering the language barrier, highly interesting dialogue fill the film throughout. As long as your attention span allows you to read for a few minutes straight your interest should last until the visually striking action scenes. If you find yourself perhaps put off by the subtitles or the occasionally zany Colonel Landa, please watch the climactic finish with a fresh mind. It should stun anyone who will allow it to. I ended up staring blankly with my mouth agape even as the credits began rolling. That might be because I thought the movie would be, in general, historically accurate going in, but afterwards I was extremely glad that it wasn't. I was equally disappointed that this wasn't how World War II actually ended, because Hitler's face being riddled with bullets is a much more fitting way to end such a life. Speaking of fitting ends, the final line reads, "This just might be my masterpiece." Well Tarantino, I think you might just be right. Expand
  46. Aug 13, 2010
    One of the biggest surprises of the year, 'Inglourious Basterds' is definitely a great film, and one of Tarantino's best.
    With one of the best best acting ensembles of recent memory and a (traditionally Tarantino) excellent and interesting story line, it provides for two very important elements of any good film.
    Technically, the film is flawless and everything just works. It is also highly
    Technically, the film is flawless and everything just works. It is also highly entertaining and very funny. My favourite thing were the Italian accents of Brad Pitt and his boys. Amazing. Excellent film!
  47. FrankM
    Apr 7, 2010
    What an imagination! Twists and turns and no one is assured survival. It is a Bizzaro World but one with its own rules thate you must discover on the way through its maze.
  48. KennyM
    Mar 30, 2010
    Easily the best movie of the year.
  49. JarvisG
    Mar 30, 2010
    Best Tarantino movie ever!Very enjoyably movie.
  50. AlanG.
    Mar 27, 2010
    Full blown awesome!!!! Tarantino returns to Hollywood with an action-packed thrill ride, with great performances, great action, and of couse, it's a great movie.
  51. Pooria
    Mar 7, 2010
    Best Movie EVER ( maybe after pulp fiction though! ). Tarantino is going to be Cinema's next and greatest master of all time!
  52. JoeD
    Feb 10, 2010
    Great fantasy WWII Movie - Pure QT multi-lingual dialogue-fest. Tense and action-filled dark comedy - I think the moaners are missing several points. Waltz was perfect - and the music was so well-used - What's not to like?
  53. RyanG.
    Feb 5, 2010
    One of my favorite movies of the year. Nobody can write long scenes of dialogue and make it work better than Tarantino. It might have alot of subtitles but u won't even notice it after awhile. And Christoph Waltz gives the perfermance of the year. Definitely a must see.
  54. dmodmo
    Feb 3, 2010
    I have seen all the AA nominated movies and performances...and I B was my favorite movie of 2009. Saw it 3x. Walz is fantastic and what can you say..when Tarantino gets it right (like Pulp Fiction), it's the BEST.
  55. JohnG
    Feb 2, 2010
    BEST MOVIE of '09. Should, but probably won't win Best Picture Oscar! Overall, most well-acted movie in '09 with Christoph Waltz an absolute LOCK to win Best Supporting Actor Oscar.
  56. Joan
    Jan 29, 2010
    Tarantino make it again? Hell, yes! 'Inglorious Basterds' is that kind of film that only can be made by a person like Quentin Tarantino: happy jew-hunters, happy nazi-hunters, happy Germans and happy solutions for a triangle gunfire. Okay, forget that. This can be (perfectly) the most personal film of Tarantino, and (without doubt) one of the best films of 2009.
  57. DudeG.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Great Film!
  58. JohnK
    Jan 26, 2010
    This film was a masterpiece. It was Quentin Tarantino's homage to the film's he loves. The dialogue was brilliant throughout. All the actor's were brilliant caricatures of larger than life characters from movies past. It was comedic and dramatic and wonderful. I loved the soundtrack too. The spaghetti western music was great. Who does that? The music was so out of place yet This film was a masterpiece. It was Quentin Tarantino's homage to the film's he loves. The dialogue was brilliant throughout. All the actor's were brilliant caricatures of larger than life characters from movies past. It was comedic and dramatic and wonderful. I loved the soundtrack too. The spaghetti western music was great. Who does that? The music was so out of place yet perfect at the same time. I loved this film. On a side note, I thought Brad Pitt's over-the-top portrayal as a gung ho red neck soldier was great. Sort of reminded me of Robert Duvall's character in Apocalypse Now. Expand
  59. J.D.H.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Simply awesome.
  60. SimonS.
    Jan 19, 2010
    Masterfully executed. Its hard not to enjoy the film even if you're the type who doesn't like brutal violence in movies. It's also hard to deny the talent that is Tarentino.
  61. eddyj.
    Jan 19, 2010
    Hold up why does this movie have a 69 this is without a doubt one of the greatest films i have ever seein from the first scene to the amazing bar scene to the theater scenes i mean wow if u didnt like this film just go watch xxx state of the union since this film was too much for you.
  62. Cookie
    Jan 12, 2010
    Would be a ten except that Brad Pitt does NOT fit the role he plays. I am 100% there are other actors that could've done a better job than Pitt. Overall a great movie Christoph Waltz stole the film. I find it extremely rare when I am watching a movie that I seriously want to see more often through out the film.
  63. ShayneC
    Jan 4, 2010
    Amazing movie, although Brad Pitt's accent is a little too much.
  64. AlexC.
    Jan 3, 2010
    Quentin Tarantino's latest film, Inglourious Basterds, manages to outdo even Kill Bill in both entertainment value and thoughtfulness. The film soars due to Tarantino's exceptional ability to build suspense and excellent performances by Laurent, Waltz, and Krüger. The only thing that could make it more fun to watch is the inclusion of the 40 minutes of footage that was Quentin Tarantino's latest film, Inglourious Basterds, manages to outdo even Kill Bill in both entertainment value and thoughtfulness. The film soars due to Tarantino's exceptional ability to build suspense and excellent performances by Laurent, Waltz, and Krüger. The only thing that could make it more fun to watch is the inclusion of the 40 minutes of footage that was edited out before Cannes. Expand
  65. AlexY
    Jan 1, 2010
    Tarantino has the power to polarize like no other director, and his bold style in pairing with the subject of Nazism will be too much for some. Before being a storyteller, Tarantino is a brilliant multimedia artist, and Basterds proves this once and for all. This movie pulls the viewer along like a string puppet, making him feel in turn disgusted, exhilarated, devastated, amused. The Tarantino has the power to polarize like no other director, and his bold style in pairing with the subject of Nazism will be too much for some. Before being a storyteller, Tarantino is a brilliant multimedia artist, and Basterds proves this once and for all. This movie pulls the viewer along like a string puppet, making him feel in turn disgusted, exhilarated, devastated, amused. The pacing is absolutely brilliant: Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. Emotion and violence are exaggerated to the point of parody: if you can appreciate this sensability, you may be a Tarantino fan. If not, there's always Schindler's List. Expand
  66. LouieC
    Dec 27, 2009
    One of the best films of the year. "Inglorious" is a fun, quirky movie with an intelligent and entertaining story, clever dialogue, and great acting.
  67. SorinL
    Dec 27, 2009
    Funny how rage-filled and ass-pained are all the americans about this movie. What's the matter, pumpkins? Is one man's vision too hard for you? Is it so intolerable that you're 'manliness' is satirized and the germans are all polyglot and gentlemen? Oh, in case you don't know, a polyglot is a person who speaks multiple languages. A little explanation for our Funny how rage-filled and ass-pained are all the americans about this movie. What's the matter, pumpkins? Is one man's vision too hard for you? Is it so intolerable that you're 'manliness' is satirized and the germans are all polyglot and gentlemen? Oh, in case you don't know, a polyglot is a person who speaks multiple languages. A little explanation for our American friends. Expand
  68. TimH
    Dec 21, 2009
    While a bit tedious and plodding at times this film shows that Tarantino is above all else a great director. Dismiss all of the haters on here and see it for yourself to make up your own mind. A great entry movie for those wishing to see more European cinema, and a fantastic Tarantino movie with great dialogue, tense scenes, great acting and an ending that makes you want to watch it again While a bit tedious and plodding at times this film shows that Tarantino is above all else a great director. Dismiss all of the haters on here and see it for yourself to make up your own mind. A great entry movie for those wishing to see more European cinema, and a fantastic Tarantino movie with great dialogue, tense scenes, great acting and an ending that makes you want to watch it again immediately. Expand
  69. mattf
    Dec 20, 2009
    10 of 10, 2 thumbs up tarantino has done it again, it was hilarious, people were dissapointed with it being so unrealistic, and you know what, the last time I checked its a fantasy movie and fantasy means fake. People gave it bad reviews for its cheesy violence that was not artistic but that is also the point. This movie has amazing acting and it was extremely funny I loved it, This movie 10 of 10, 2 thumbs up tarantino has done it again, it was hilarious, people were dissapointed with it being so unrealistic, and you know what, the last time I checked its a fantasy movie and fantasy means fake. People gave it bad reviews for its cheesy violence that was not artistic but that is also the point. This movie has amazing acting and it was extremely funny I loved it, This movie may not have any character development on a few characters(such as Brad Pitt's) but that gives them a mystery that locks your brain in the production and you cant get out of your seat till the end, kind of like blare witch and peole love that movie even though there is no development of characters and there is almost no story, so Inglourious Basterds is one of my favorite movies, thank you Quentin Tarantino. Expand
  70. NickR
    Dec 19, 2009
    Brilliant film for all who love movies, whether a Tarantino fan or not. It's so compelling that one doesn't even realize how much of the movie is in German or French. It was also surprising how un-Hollywood the film was; you would go in expecting it to focus on the big star attached to it (Brad Pitt), but he's not even the most interesting character. The plot was well-done Brilliant film for all who love movies, whether a Tarantino fan or not. It's so compelling that one doesn't even realize how much of the movie is in German or French. It was also surprising how un-Hollywood the film was; you would go in expecting it to focus on the big star attached to it (Brad Pitt), but he's not even the most interesting character. The plot was well-done and truly engaging in regards to how events would progress. Tarantino simply makes it work, where you can be laughing uproariously one second and be on the edge of your seat with anticipation the next. Expand
  71. PeterG
    Dec 18, 2009
    The only WWII movie that should win an Oscar based on pretense.
  72. JoeM
    Dec 16, 2009
    Tarantino at his best, he delivers a remarkable script that is filled with suspense, humor, and action. This is a true classic.
  73. ChristopheS
    Dec 16, 2009
    Wasnt really looking forward to watch this movie. I like Tarantino, but his last movies where not super (not bad, just not great). I also dont really like war movies that much. However this is not really a war movie. I can understand why some people dont like the movie. Too much non-English part (many people, mostly iliterate americans, are not used to it and only love English and think Wasnt really looking forward to watch this movie. I like Tarantino, but his last movies where not super (not bad, just not great). I also dont really like war movies that much. However this is not really a war movie. I can understand why some people dont like the movie. Too much non-English part (many people, mostly iliterate americans, are not used to it and only love English and think everybody should only speak their language) and some scenes are sloow (too slow for their even slow mind?). Like the utterly fantastic opening scene, which is one of the best scenes of the year. Or the bar scene. man I didnt see that coming. The time Pitt spoke Italian was just bloody hilarious (ofcourse completly over the top and thus not really appreciated by everybody, especially if you are without a sense of humor). I dont want to give away too much, but to everybody who doesnt mind that the whole movie is not in Anglish, who dont mind there isnt an explosion every 5 seconds and with a sense of humor, watch this movie. You will be pleasantly suprised. Expand
  74. AbhinavR
    Nov 30, 2009
    Genius, pure genius.
  75. ThiagoM
    Nov 29, 2009
    I agree with Clif C ! distric 9 and inglorious basterd are the best movies of a long time i might add ! not just this year ! and it shows me, once again, that i'm wasting my time checking for metacritic's scores...... this site can't be useful when deciding what movie to see.
  76. FilipeG
    Nov 26, 2009
    One of Tarantino's best so far! This movie wasn't made to entertain, but to feel what it shows, like a proper piece of art should. Most people don't understand this and keep on slandering it. It's full of small fancy jokes and often destroys the idea that movies must be predictable and often amazes you with unnexpected sequences. A must-see for cinema art apreciators!
  77. JoelleG
    Nov 23, 2009
    Perfect cocktail of humor and gore. It completely disregards history and reminds the audience that movies are supposed to be separate from reality; historical accuracy and conventions are trivial.
  78. ArianoA.
    Nov 19, 2009
    Quentin Tarantino is a genius. Everything he touches turns in gold. Inglorious Basterds is no exception. The way is presented in a hilarious, thrilling manner makes this movie a masterpiece.
  79. TJ
    Nov 18, 2009
    This Quentin's movie is very fabulous that can stuck me with fully fun.
  80. JoshL
    Nov 13, 2009
    This is easily Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. Its fun, entralling and suprisingly resonant.
  81. TrevorD
    Nov 12, 2009
    Sadly, the metacritic score that "generalizes" the reviews and critical responses to this brilliant masterpiece does Inglourious Basterds absolutely no justice. Simply put, Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's finest work since Pulp Fiction, and quite simply one of the best films of 2009, if not the best.
  82. ChrisG.
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well you either like QT or you don't. I happen to like the guy's work, and consequently cannot but recommend it heavily. Excellent movie for those who can appreciate these films, but not one of the majority. I think this is reflected in the type of votes given by the public. Either very high or very low.
  83. MaryM
    Best film of the year!!
  84. TerryJ
    Nov 9, 2009
    One of the best films of 2009. Great plot, and incredibly great directing.
  85. HarryS
    Nov 9, 2009
    Very impressive. Great acting!!
  86. AngryM
    Nov 5, 2009
    Greatest movie of the year! People who hated it put it aside and go back to watching "Dancing with the stars".
  87. Kenny
    Nov 4, 2009
    Back again to use all his power behind the cameras and in the folio to give us a treat as a kind of war movie never seen before. As usual the director of "Pulp Fiction" likes to mix and remix genres until what remains is really effective. This spaghetti western in the midst of World War II with the purest ingredients Grindhouse style and his peculiar air to the engine of a Back again to use all his power behind the cameras and in the folio to give us a treat as a kind of war movie never seen before. As usual the director of "Pulp Fiction" likes to mix and remix genres until what remains is really effective. This spaghetti western in the midst of World War II with the purest ingredients Grindhouse style and his peculiar air to the engine of a Harley-Davidson, all without neglecting aesthetics over Nazi German and French. Overall the film has nowhere desperidicio, is chaos itself filled with discussions about jugosisimos in several languages, including French, English, German and even some Italian, where we discover Waltz. I have had a pipe in the two hour and a half, and even I was looking forward to seeing all that stuff he was forced to remove the final footage. Expand
  88. RafaelL.
    Oct 19, 2009
    Incredible, fun and extremely revolutionary. The best Tarantino's movie since "Pulp Fiction".
  89. ClifC
    Oct 17, 2009
    Well... "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" are the best movies of the year. "Inglorious" is a masterpiece: it's mature, artsy, visually stunning (the scene with the theater screen burning, for example; that gave me shivers), action-packed, with exquisite dialogues, amazing actings (Waltz deserves an Academy Award for it), ... The only thing that somebody who really appreciates Well... "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" are the best movies of the year. "Inglorious" is a masterpiece: it's mature, artsy, visually stunning (the scene with the theater screen burning, for example; that gave me shivers), action-packed, with exquisite dialogues, amazing actings (Waltz deserves an Academy Award for it), ... The only thing that somebody who really appreciates good films (because a lot still don't understand Quentin Tarantino's art) could regret is the lack of complexity in the film. There was no temporal "destruction" this time and no real character developpement. But in my opinion, it didn't matter, it was obvious that it was useless. Anyway... Quentin Tarantino made it again! Bravo. Expand
  90. AndrewT.
    Oct 7, 2009
    Not at all Tarantino's best film, but very good nonetheless. The acting prowess of the man playing Colonel Landa was absolutely some of the best I have seen in a Tarantino film, and his script and lines were absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the plot was a little weak, and many people will probably not like the way in which the story is presented, in a chapter format that jumps Not at all Tarantino's best film, but very good nonetheless. The acting prowess of the man playing Colonel Landa was absolutely some of the best I have seen in a Tarantino film, and his script and lines were absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the plot was a little weak, and many people will probably not like the way in which the story is presented, in a chapter format that jumps substantially between each of the chapters. That aside, this is one of the finest, most aesthetically pleasing, and daring films I have seen in the past few years. It is a must-watch for Tarantino fans, and I would hope that skeptics of this movie would appreciate it for all it has to offer, and not criticize it for its minor flaws. Expand
  91. NK
    Oct 2, 2009
    It could've been two hours of grossly gratuitous violence, but Tarantino made it ART. I wasn't expecting this kind of brilliance. The film is so carefully, thoughtfully crafted, from the writing to the way each shot of Oscar-worthy acting is framed (Waltz, playing Landa, is a horrifying). And the depth! It drips with ambition (and how could it not, as it defies and redefines It could've been two hours of grossly gratuitous violence, but Tarantino made it ART. I wasn't expecting this kind of brilliance. The film is so carefully, thoughtfully crafted, from the writing to the way each shot of Oscar-worthy acting is framed (Waltz, playing Landa, is a horrifying). And the depth! It drips with ambition (and how could it not, as it defies and redefines "The WWII Movie"). Such a dizzying, dazzling array of film-play -- Tarantino's outdone himself with the layers of tension, irony, death, humor -- and all of it so aesthetically rendered. If you don't walk out completely blown away by the complexity of it, you aren't paying attention. We will forgive the film for it's inclusion of some necessarily evils (and some unnecessary ones, like Brad Pitt's acting) because the overall effect is tremendous, thought-provoking and enduring. Bravo. Expand
  92. CameronB
    Oct 1, 2009
    I would say one of the best movies of 2009. It had an interesting plot, amazing actors and great scripting. I recommend this movie to all who haven't seen it yet.
  93. Blake
    Sep 27, 2009
    QT, you are a master! A lot funnier than I expected too.
  94. CarolynB
    Sep 23, 2009
    I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where the Nazi colonel questions resistance fighters and double agents and you wonder whether they will be found out or not. Expand
  95. pat
    Sep 23, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. The main criticisms I see seem to be that the characters are over the top or unbelievable, keep in mind Tarantino's characters do not live in the world we do, and they are often representations of something else entirely. Go see it if you get the chance.
  96. MarcusW
    Sep 20, 2009
    After the last few misfires, QT emerges with a film which is pure unadulterated entertainment. Funny, loud and plain over the top fun.
  97. afdsafdddd
    Sep 20, 2009
    Simply, awesome. This film demonstrates why Tarantino is the best director in this days.
  98. TimothyC
    Sep 14, 2009
    Loved the movie. Great charachter concepts, killer lines delivered by Brad. My only problem with this movie was it was edited. You wanted more character backgrounds, but didn't get it. It was edited for time, but I left wanting to sit through more. That's why it's a 9 instead of 10.
  99. MatthewZ
    Sep 12, 2009
    Do not believe those reviewers who would say this film is boring. It is anything but. If you've got a handful of brain cells, it keeps you on the edge of your seat for the duration. For lovers of language and crisp dialogue, it doesn't get much better than this. All the major events in the film hang on a thin, ominous linguistic thread. Would be in a 10 if it weren't for Do not believe those reviewers who would say this film is boring. It is anything but. If you've got a handful of brain cells, it keeps you on the edge of your seat for the duration. For lovers of language and crisp dialogue, it doesn't get much better than this. All the major events in the film hang on a thin, ominous linguistic thread. Would be in a 10 if it weren't for the interruption of the clumsily-acted "Bear Jew". As bad as Eli Roth is in this role, Hans Landa is brilliant in his. If you've enjoyed past Tarantino films, I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy this one. Expand

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?