7.7

1. Sep 18, 2012
    Inglourious Basterds is an exciting film and that is not a surprise because is a Tarantino creation, so we can notice all the things that are repeated in his filmography. First we have the desire for revenge, represented by Shosanna; here we notice the famous persistent and meticulous job of Beatrix Kiddo, and the sarcastic and dedicated work of Jules Winnfield with Vincent Vega; theInglourious Basterds is an exciting film and that is not a surprise because is a Tarantino creation, so we can notice all the things that are repeated in his filmography. First we have the desire for revenge, represented by Shosanna; here we notice the famous persistent and meticulous job of Beatrix Kiddo, and the sarcastic and dedicated work of Jules Winnfield with Vincent Vega; the shocking thing is that it all occurs at one time in one place, rather than the search that we saw on Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction.
    Second, is visible the minimalism characteristic of Tarantino, because he shows too much with little things and express a few with big things. For example: in the dialogue between Coronel Landa and Mr. LaPadite about the rats, what we actually see is a way of changing a whole ideology about what people think of Nazis and Jews; in contrast, when all the important Nazis are gadder in the cinema, and Shosanna with Marcel execute their plan, we see an enormous disaster, but is nothing more than vengeance.
    Finally, the classic fragmented reality is very well developed. Tarantino put us on his labyrinth and force us to solve his puzzle. The only failure of this film is that all the fragments (chapters) are order by time, nothing is timeless, and the development is one direction; in the other Tarantino pictures we move forward, then travel to the past and then finish in the present, preparing to jump to another time again; and that could enrich a lot Inglourious Basterds.
    The direction, music and script are just perfect and Christoph Waltz is astonishing.
  2. Aug 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a terribly big fan of Tarantino, until now maybe. Seamless acting and considering the language barrier, highly interesting dialogue fill the film throughout. As long as your attention span allows you to read for a few minutes straight your interest should last until the visually striking action scenes. If you find yourself perhaps put off by the subtitles or the occasionally zany Colonel Landa, please watch the climactic finish with a fresh mind. It should stun anyone who will allow it to. I ended up staring blankly with my mouth agape even as the credits began rolling. That might be because I thought the movie would be, in general, historically accurate going in, but afterwards I was extremely glad that it wasn't. I was equally disappointed that this wasn't how World War II actually ended, because Hitler's face being riddled with bullets is a much more fitting way to end such a life. Speaking of fitting ends, the final line reads, "This just might be my masterpiece." Well Tarantino, I think you might just be right. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    Bold and fearless throughout. Tarantino has created a film without boundaries--allowing us to immerse ourselves into his unconvential, freakish and often extraordinary adventure. Christoph Waltz gives the finest performance of the year in the best film of the year!
  4. May 24, 2014
    This film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography andThis film is horribly inaccurate in terms of history, but screw it, it is fun as all get out. Like all Tarantino fare, we get our stylized violence, our pitch black comedy, and of course our closeup of an actress' foot (Diane Kruger here). Also, we get a great film. A close second place for me behind Pulp Fiction in terms of Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds features great cinematography and great acting, namely from Christoph Waltz, who absolutely killed it. Brad Pitt was also great and quite hilarious, to boot. From the onset of the film, Waltz' performance takes center stage as we watch him do what he does best: hunt Jews. We then see the same from his counterpart, Pitt, who is great at killing Nazis. These first two parts of the film really setup the film incredibly well for the final act, where spoilers. In addition to Waltz and Pitt, the whole cast did exceptionally well, in partucular Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger. Michael Fassbender, Daniel Bruhl, and shockingly, Mike Myers, all have good turns as well. Throughout the film, there are many different genres being used terrifically. Of note, the comedic elements were great, in particular the scene in which Pitt attempts to speak Italian. These moments of comedy help to lighten the mood against the hyper violence that takes place (though never too dusturbing, typically the stuff depicted would bother me more, but Tarantino is so stylish, he gets away with it). However, the film also includes many thrilling/suspenseful scenes where your heart is in your throat as you await what happens, while coupling that with elements of war, drama, adventure, action genres, all of which used very artfully and really help to add to the general entertainment of the film.

On the negative side, the final part is a tad over the top. It came off as extremely odd and slightly off putting. However, the impact on the viewer is certainly still great and any over the topness is not a major complaint, rather something small that bugged me a little bit. Overall, Inglourious Basterds is one of Tarantino's best films and ultimately worthy of the praise it has received since its release.
  5. Aug 13, 2010
    One of the biggest surprises of the year, 'Inglourious Basterds' is definitely a great film, and one of Tarantino's best.
    With one of the best best acting ensembles of recent memory and a (traditionally Tarantino) excellent and interesting story line, it provides for two very important elements of any good film.
    Technically, the film is flawless and everything just works. It is also highly
    Technically, the film is flawless and everything just works. It is also highly entertaining and very funny. My favourite thing were the Italian accents of Brad Pitt and his boys. Amazing. Excellent film!
  6. Sep 10, 2010
    Fantastic Christoph Waltz ! Brilliant Tarantino! Standing Ovation for Christoph Waltz A.K.A."Hans Landa" in this movie. Best Actor for the "Oscar" in my opinion.
  7. Dec 11, 2011
    Incoherent, self-indulgent mis-match of a movie. Insulting to Jews, Germans & anyone with knowledge of history or any sort of moral compass. I have no idea what this movie was trying to achieve, satisfy Tarantino's ego?
  8. Nov 1, 2011
    From this movie comes no conclusion, no morale. At the end, the only thing I felt was emptiness. The plot (if it can be called so) is simply terrible or non-existent despite the great visuals and spectacular acting (except Hitler's character, which was not realistic enough, too caricatural). It's just bundle of moments (often too long) patched up together and the two separate story linesFrom this movie comes no conclusion, no morale. At the end, the only thing I felt was emptiness. The plot (if it can be called so) is simply terrible or non-existent despite the great visuals and spectacular acting (except Hitler's character, which was not realistic enough, too caricatural). It's just bundle of moments (often too long) patched up together and the two separate story lines have no interactions other than the final location of the story. It also holds no historic value whatsoever. The violence and gore are not justified for it does not add up any values of interest to the movie. All in all, the movie has nothing beneath it, nothing to tell, and just comes short of interest in its lengthy 2.5 h, a great disappointment. 0/10 for the plot 9.5/10 for the acting 8/10 for the visuals and 0/10 for all else. Expand
  9. Aug 16, 2010
    Delirious fun from ringmaster Tarantino. Unlike any World War II film ever made. Beautiful cinematography to go along with wicked dialogue and some great performances by Waltz and Kruger. The ending has a goofy twist and adds to the continuous fun, though I will say the film is very violent, maybe his most since "Kill Bill".
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    There is nothing in this movie that makes for a good movie save for an interesting opening sequence. The premise is terrible and ignores the historical context of WWII. An all Jewish unit sent to infiltrate Germany. Nevermind that it's glossed over how they get into the country. Let's ignore the fact that none of the infiltration team speaks German or any other European language fluently.There is nothing in this movie that makes for a good movie save for an interesting opening sequence. The premise is terrible and ignores the historical context of WWII. An all Jewish unit sent to infiltrate Germany. Nevermind that it's glossed over how they get into the country. Let's ignore the fact that none of the infiltration team speaks German or any other European language fluently. I'll even let it pass that the guerrilla team hangs out at the site of an ambush to torture their prisoners which is tactically absurd. What I cannot forgive is demeaning and dishonoring ourselves and our veterans by lowering ourselves to the level of Nazi's. For instance, in the ambush seen, Brad Pitt's character gives the Nazi a choice of betraying his comrades or being beaten to death. In this scene, the Nazi is the more honorable figure, selflessly going to a painful death rather than betraying fellow soldiers. Carving swastikas into the foreheads of the dead? Where is the morality or honor in that? If we have become so jaded that we cheer for the mutilation of human beings; for grizzly unjustified torture, I'm saddened for our future. It boggles the mind that we glorify this by nominating it for best picture. Not just because of vacuum of morality. It's bad writing. Taking 15 minutes to introduce multiple characters at length only to have them eliminated five minutes later is obnoxious. Especially, when no one replaces those characters. The dialogue is long winded, pedantic, and campy. The art direction seems more like it's trying to mock Saving Private Ryan than establish it's own style. I get the premise and the concept, no one likes Hitler. He was recent history's most prominent monster. But this movie cheapens the memory of those who apposed him. This should've been a straight to DVD release. Expand
  11. Sep 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only Tarantino can take an event like WW2 and make a boring directionless movie like Inglourious basterds. He decides to recreate WW2 events to show the world his love for (hard on for) mindless violence and long pointless dialougues. The fundamental problem with this film, is that if you are going to recreate an actual historical event, the film has it has to be funny. Without Humor an audience familiar to WW2 history will find this to be boring inaccurate rubbish. The movie is formulated into several chapters covering lives of Shoshana who escapes near death at hands of Christopher Waltz and the nazis. I will not get to much into detail because i do not want to spoil the move. However the movie evolves into an unreleastic convulted plot to assasinate Adolf Hitler. The ending does provide a little suspense but this is around the 2 in a half hour mark. When the movies was over I was left wondering why did I waste 2 in half hours watching this abomination. All in All we have a Quentin Tarantino's wet dream of what happened in WW2, packed with mindless violence, boring dialogues and worse convuluted plot imaginable. This movie is neither humourous or entertaining. Avoid at all cost. Expand
  12. May 26, 2012
    When all the story lines finally come together you realize this movie is a masterpiece. With all the cast giving breathtakingly solid performances especially Waltz and Laurent. You will be offered amazing action and wonderful cinematography to spare. I give the movie 98%.
  13. Dec 23, 2011
    Enduring this film is about as close to the human suffering of the concentration camps as I can possibly experience. If you somehow found this enjoyable I hope that God will have mercy on your soul...
  14. Sep 21, 2011
    Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" is a messy movie, a movie that needs precise trimming. The characters are unstable and undeveloped while the whole dialogue is extremely measured towards the Jews. I know Hitler killed a lot of them, but this is just too unfair to the Nazis. At least Tarantino had to show a little bit of respect to them, not just spitting at them and killing themQuentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" is a messy movie, a movie that needs precise trimming. The characters are unstable and undeveloped while the whole dialogue is extremely measured towards the Jews. I know Hitler killed a lot of them, but this is just too unfair to the Nazis. At least Tarantino had to show a little bit of respect to them, not just spitting at them and killing them with baseball bats. Chrisopher Waltz's performance was powerful and charismatic, but unfortunately he acted in the wrong movie. Collapse
  15. May 2, 2012
    A bold war movie unlike no other. The film is as funny as it is thrilling. With Inglorious Basterds Tarantino has shown once again that he can make fun thrilling stylised films while adding intricusies and good writting. Not quite Pulp Fiction but it is still very good. What a relief after the Kill Bill series to see Inglorious Basterds.
  16. Jan 11, 2012
    Odd movie.The Germans, who are supposed to be the bad guys, are made to look like the good guys. It is almost impossible to feel sympathy for the basterds after they smash in the head of a POW in the most disgusting way possible. A POW, for Christ's sake. And one with honor as well, since he refuses to betray his comrades. Cinematography is great, acting is as well, with the exception ofOdd movie.The Germans, who are supposed to be the bad guys, are made to look like the good guys. It is almost impossible to feel sympathy for the basterds after they smash in the head of a POW in the most disgusting way possible. A POW, for Christ's sake. And one with honor as well, since he refuses to betray his comrades. Cinematography is great, acting is as well, with the exception of Brad Pitt. The weirdest thing is that they use a David Bowie song that has already been used in 'Cat People'. That is really the killer. Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2011
    I really liked it but I felt that the long run time resulted in some boring parts and it brought down the value of the film a bit. Also it relied far too much on violence instead of building on the fantastic cast that was hired for the film. Still, Its a great war film.
  18. Dec 4, 2010
    I'm didn't care for this movie much. I really wanted to love it, Tarantino puts on a good show. Watching the first scene with Christoph Waltz in the Frenchman's farmhouse, I thought wow this is going to be good, but it just got progressively worse. There are some other gem scenes though. The last bit just seemed like he ran out of ideas and time. Overall it is worth seeing, but it couldI'm didn't care for this movie much. I really wanted to love it, Tarantino puts on a good show. Watching the first scene with Christoph Waltz in the Frenchman's farmhouse, I thought wow this is going to be good, but it just got progressively worse. There are some other gem scenes though. The last bit just seemed like he ran out of ideas and time. Overall it is worth seeing, but it could have been so much better. I was left disappointed. I was really surprised it was nominated for best picture, because I think there were better films. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    well it took me a while to finally watch this because i had my doubts and i was right, the movie is weak and seems to just nazi bash. there are pointless scenes that drag on that hold little use to the story. allot of the story is not even realistic to the story, for example all the leaders in one place with such little security, the jew hunter converting when he could be a hero, disregardwell it took me a while to finally watch this because i had my doubts and i was right, the movie is weak and seems to just nazi bash. there are pointless scenes that drag on that hold little use to the story. allot of the story is not even realistic to the story, for example all the leaders in one place with such little security, the jew hunter converting when he could be a hero, disregard for solders personal feeling vs doing their duty. quirks and acting was good but what can i say the movie was all over the place. Expand
  20. Dec 1, 2011
    Another superb Tarantino film! The performances are all top-notch and yes, Waltz is as pitch-perfect as ever in his role. The dialogue in this film is so interesting and I found myself listening intently to what every character had to say, which is present in every Tarantino film. The cinematography is spectacular. At several points this movie gets crazy and then it scales back into it'sAnother superb Tarantino film! The performances are all top-notch and yes, Waltz is as pitch-perfect as ever in his role. The dialogue in this film is so interesting and I found myself listening intently to what every character had to say, which is present in every Tarantino film. The cinematography is spectacular. At several points this movie gets crazy and then it scales back into it's lighter finesse, but all the while it remains engrossing. I did feel it got a tad bogged down here and there, but overall this is a very very fine picture! Expand
  21. Oct 15, 2011
    Loved the film, mainly because of the characters. They are lovable and adorable (if it's not weird to say this while talking about a war movie). The director (Tarantino) did a great job.
  22. Nov 15, 2011
    Another brilliant movie in Tarantino's style. Showing us another point of view to the 2 World War, we get on a trip inside the Inglorious Bastards crew, jew's trained to blow up the Nazi head, and in the mind of the full-of-revenge jew Shosanna Dreyfus, that wants to revenge her family, killed by the crazy SS coronel Hans Landa. With great cast (special applauses for Christoph Waltz, DaineAnother brilliant movie in Tarantino's style. Showing us another point of view to the 2 World War, we get on a trip inside the Inglorious Bastards crew, jew's trained to blow up the Nazi head, and in the mind of the full-of-revenge jew Shosanna Dreyfus, that wants to revenge her family, killed by the crazy SS coronel Hans Landa. With great cast (special applauses for Christoph Waltz, Daine Kruger and Melánie Laurent) and a bloody story, we get again, the best from Tarantino. Expand
  23. Dec 13, 2011
    I'll admit, this movie scared me. Quentin Tarantino never disappoints. At the start of the movie I was on the Basterd's side. Wait, did anyone noticed that bastards is spelled wrong? Doesn't matter, this is a movie not a book. I was a semi-fan of all the violence and the blood. The scalping of the Nazi's head did disturb me at first but after the first one I was okay. Critics always sayI'll admit, this movie scared me. Quentin Tarantino never disappoints. At the start of the movie I was on the Basterd's side. Wait, did anyone noticed that bastards is spelled wrong? Doesn't matter, this is a movie not a book. I was a semi-fan of all the violence and the blood. The scalping of the Nazi's head did disturb me at first but after the first one I was okay. Critics always say that adding action and special effects is like a gimmick to lure in audiences. But the action and blood in this movie isn't the case. If this movie was less tamed and not as graphic it still would be an awesome movie. But what I am not a fan of is adding two different story lines. They meet up at the end but there still two seprate story lines. I also found it interesting that as the plot was building up we where introduced to the morals and values that the Basterds had. I found myself routing for the Nazis. But that's how Quentin Tarantino does his movies, with a plot that doesn't introduce a villain. My favorite part was the bar scene. It was trilling because I had no idea if someone was going to fire. Overall, this film is very well written and directed. Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino is one of those people you either love or hate. It's his unique stories and methodical attention to detail that have always stood out to me. For all you haters out there, the one thing you can't deny is Tarantino's unique ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with, and that is why many times, the cast members of his films earn Oscar nominations. InglouriousQuentin Tarantino is one of those people you either love or hate. It's his unique stories and methodical attention to detail that have always stood out to me. For all you haters out there, the one thing you can't deny is Tarantino's unique ability to bring out the best in everyone he works with, and that is why many times, the cast members of his films earn Oscar nominations. Inglourious Basterds is another uniquely strange story that just works, because of Tarantino. As has become his signature, the story is broken up into seemingly unrelated stories that all come together in a terrific ending. The story centers around a group of Jewish-American soldiers in World War II, whose assignment was to go into France, undercover, and track down and slaughter Nazis. It's a terrific cast led by Brad Pitt, but to me he wasn't so much the star of this film, that honor belongs to Christopher Waltz, who in his first major role, did win the Oscar for best supporting actor. It's a strong story and a great film, but something bothered me about it. Inglourious Basterds is of course a fictional story, so the attention to detail, such as having everyone speaking in their native languages, seemed someone unnecessary to me. That combined with subtitles that moved at the speed of light, made the story somewhat hard for me to follow. That's why I watched it a few times before reviewing it. There is no denying that this is one hell of a story with another tremendous cast, that deserved every award that it's won, however Tarantino's attention to detail, usually a strength, did take away from the film, as a whole, and did make some parts difficult to follow. Expand
  25. Jan 24, 2012
    I liked the film but I am not 100% sure that I would recommend it. I think Tarantino tries too hard to re-create the magic he had with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but he fails to do so. The cast was good but the entire idea of the film was just too stupid.
  26. May 22, 2012
    This movie i just another propaganda to feel good and like heroes for American losers! I'm sorry to tell you but America killed many civilians (by now more then Hitler) also and where friends with Stalin a man who killed 20 million people, but that's OK he killed no Jews so who cares right, i'm just in shock, how much more dumber the US can get? They are the Modern day Nazis!
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    Brilliant film. Probably not a "must-see" but certainly worth your money. The combination of humor and more serious elements in the film is great, I loved it. Certain parts, particularly towards the end are a little crazy, but they won't take away from how good this film is
  28. Oct 17, 2010
    Brad Pitt doing that accent trying to speak Italian is one of the best scenes I've scene in a long time. Tarantino does a great job as usual, and gives another movie that's worth watching over and over. I'm glad Hitler died this time around as well.
  29. May 19, 2013
    The movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought MichaelThe movie is pretty good. It's pretty much 3 big scenes that play out. Brad Pitt is the biggest downer of the movie as his bad southern accent just feels so corny. Though the highlight of this film and has to be the best discovery is Christoph Waltz Who is just Amazing as the Nazi jew hunter. His performance is just captivating and what great acting is made of. I also thought Michael Fassbender did a good job as well in this. Its a good movie to see if you want to see some fine acting a interesting story as long as you can get past Brad Pitt. Expand
  30. Sep 2, 2010
    Nazi officer assigned to France to kill Jews, group of Jewish American soldiers hunt Nazis, paths cross, Nazi war hero has film made about him, wants premiere in small French town, twists, turns & turmoil.
    An amazing cast executing their roles spectacularly & some very good dialogue (in four languages!) which you'd expect from Tarantino.
    Despite all this it just felt a bit lacking despite
    Despite all this it just felt a bit lacking despite one or two very good scenes (The scene in the bar with German officers the standout).
    Also, Christoph Walz reminded me of a Nazi Rob Brydon which took off his edge a little bit.

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?