Inglourious Basterds

7.7

1. BradleyT.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Basterds is an amazing blend of gravity, absurdity, and gore. White the the violent action sequences are well-crafted and thoroughly exciting, it is the dialog that drives the movie and earns the violence. Contrary to many reviews, the non-action scenes are far from boring. Tarantino uses language to build tension in each scene. While the dialog-heavy scenes are long, each one is infused Basterds is an amazing blend of gravity, absurdity, and gore. White the the violent action sequences are well-crafted and thoroughly exciting, it is the dialog that drives the movie and earns the violence. Contrary to many reviews, the non-action scenes are far from boring. Tarantino uses language to build tension in each scene. While the dialog-heavy scenes are long, each one is infused a sense that anything can happen. This plus high stakes makes every second of Basterds a thrill to watch. Expand
  2. billc.
    Aug 26, 2009
    A 6 rating is probably more in my mind, but certain things are to be expected in a Torintino film and you shouldn't complain about it. The writing is not up to Pulp Fiction, the violence seems too grafic, but the actors did a great job. The premise, or plot is what weakened the film IMO.
  3. GilY.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Hitler getting shot in the face. What more could you ask for?
  4. BrendonF.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Action packed, beautifully written and beyond unique. Tarantino delivers another classic. However, subtitles were far too excessive.
  5. BeryD.
    Aug 26, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie. It was no where near what I was expecting, but in a good way. Christoph Waltz deserves an oscar nomination for his impressive performance. The only complaint I have is the farmhouse and bar scenes seemed a little on the long side...but they were still engaging to watch on account of the dialogue. But everything else was awesome: the acting, carnage and story. I really enjoyed this movie. It was no where near what I was expecting, but in a good way. Christoph Waltz deserves an oscar nomination for his impressive performance. The only complaint I have is the farmhouse and bar scenes seemed a little on the long side...but they were still engaging to watch on account of the dialogue. But everything else was awesome: the acting, carnage and story. Very impressive movie. Expand
  6. davidd.
    Aug 27, 2009
    I notice that some people did not appreciate the brilliance of this movie. They need to get their heads checked. This is a complicated, historically intricate, audacious and intense film. And, yes, you need to be able to READ during the film. Lots. It's called "hooked on phonics," go try it. Anyways, the best movie of the year. It will make you tense, excited, laugh, cry, and cheer, I notice that some people did not appreciate the brilliance of this movie. They need to get their heads checked. This is a complicated, historically intricate, audacious and intense film. And, yes, you need to be able to READ during the film. Lots. It's called "hooked on phonics," go try it. Anyways, the best movie of the year. It will make you tense, excited, laugh, cry, and cheer, and walk out with tremendous pride to be an American--because we have the freedom to produce this kind of art and be able to appreciate it. Expand
  7. MomoC.
    Aug 27, 2009
    Best movie I've seen all year. Amazing dialogue all round.
  8. GiaD.
    Aug 27, 2009
    Only second to JAckie Brown in my opinion.
  9. ThierryK
    Aug 27, 2009
    I've seen this movie today and wow! I did not expected i was going to see a masterpiece, the conversations, the actions ,the humour(especially when brad pitt talked italian, it whas really hilarious!). Overall, it is certainly the best movie to date, especially with all the nobrain action movies.
  10. TimL
    Aug 27, 2009
    A delicious film for any QT fan. Totally absorbing and beautifully shot, with fine acting performances. A true multi-layered masterpeice. why did so many people hate this? madness.
  11. TobyH.
    Aug 27, 2009
    Simply spellbinding. Tarantino sure knows how to tell a story. Waltz was brilliant!
  12. DariaG
    Aug 28, 2009
    I loved this movie. I will be going to see it again.
  13. JonathonY
    Aug 28, 2009
    People said it was the best Tarantino film to date. I disagree, although this movie was one of the best I have seen this year. I was looking for hilarious violence and story and was not dissatisfied.
  14. BradC
    Aug 28, 2009
    Subtle, beautiful, dense. One of Tarantino's best films. I was totally invested in the characters. Go and see it for yourself; you are smart enough to enjoy this movie.
  15. RafaR
    Aug 28, 2009
    One of my favorite films of 2009... its hilarious, twisted and suspenseful. Tarantino did something in this film, I don't think I've ever seen before... but to tell would be to spoil. Go see it for yourself.
  16. TonyM
    Aug 28, 2009
    I was really excited to see this movie, but I just thought that many of the scenes were just way too long (the bar scene) and for a movie about the basterds, they are hardly in it at all.
  17. DavidB
    Aug 28, 2009
    My favorite QT film since Pulp Fiction. Might be the best film that I've seen so far this year, as well. I didn't feel that any of the scenes were too long; the dialogue and pacing were absolutely perfect. A bit of gross violence here and there, but nothing like the stylized gorefests of previous QT films. Well worth seeing on the big screen -- just be sure to hit the bathroom My favorite QT film since Pulp Fiction. Might be the best film that I've seen so far this year, as well. I didn't feel that any of the scenes were too long; the dialogue and pacing were absolutely perfect. A bit of gross violence here and there, but nothing like the stylized gorefests of previous QT films. Well worth seeing on the big screen -- just be sure to hit the bathroom beforehand and buy a big bag of popcorn. Expand
  18. AndyH
    Aug 29, 2009
    I found the 'long drawn out scenes' to be incredibly well done - adding a palpable tension to what may otherwise have just been an exercise in complete ridiculousness. Insensitive, yes, gory, yes, but this is a Tarantino film! Still not sure whether Tarantino is the right person to be dealing with this kind of subject matter, but I still enjoyed it :)
  19. RobJ.
    Aug 29, 2009
    Not joking, my favorite movie. I had to see it again immediately. It is just incredible.
  20. danielw.
    Aug 29, 2009
    Not perfect, but better than anything QT has done since Jackie Brown. Genre-mashing, but not incoherently so. Well-scripted set pieces, great dialogue, some great cinematography. Pitt's character jars somewhat, however, a cartoon character in a movie whose other characters are far more three-dimensional.
  21. KazK
    Aug 29, 2009
    Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and quite long but that's how all QT movies are so if you have the taste for his stuff than this is a MUST-SEE. If you found pulp fiction or kill bill boring then this is not the movie for you. Expand
  22. JohnH
    Aug 29, 2009
    QT has matured, but still has his unique spice and style. This movie is, dare i say, his best yet. A masterpiece. Enjoyed every single minute. Brilliant.
  23. loub
    Aug 29, 2009
    Not as clever as Pulp Fiction,but a future cult classic.
  24. JacobA
    Aug 30, 2009
    Easily the best film I've seen this year.
  25. WillC
    Aug 30, 2009
    Classic Tarantino! You can see he has used all of his work to date to put together this masterpiece.
  26. SteveF
    Aug 30, 2009
    Wow wow wow wow wow this movie is a perfect 10! I can't stop thinking about it and I need to see it again...on Blu-ray anyway. I feel for all the negative reviewers.. they must be dead inside...no kidding everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  27. BrandonF
    Aug 30, 2009
    I balk at all of you who are too weak and narrow minded to see the genius in this film. Honestly, this is film making at its finest, by one of the industries best (Tarantino). Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, unless, that is you're too impatient to listen to dialogue and were expecting 2 hours of brutal nazi murders. Tarantino does a fabulous job at portraying both sides I balk at all of you who are too weak and narrow minded to see the genius in this film. Honestly, this is film making at its finest, by one of the industries best (Tarantino). Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, unless, that is you're too impatient to listen to dialogue and were expecting 2 hours of brutal nazi murders. Tarantino does a fabulous job at portraying both sides as human as possible and makes the resolution of the film so incredibly satisfying, even more so if you've seen Valkyrie. Ignore the ignorant slub of people ranting about his disrespect to the victims of world war II, this is art, this is a story, and WWII happened to be the setting. Grow up people, stop being so sensitive. Expand
  28. CorinH
    Aug 31, 2009
    Very uniquely interwoven series of shorts are masterfully combined to form one of Tarantino's best. This movie explores into the realms of visceral satire that I've never before seen a director dare to go.
  29. MartinS
    Aug 31, 2009
    I was surprised to see how many critics missed the point. This was simply a revenge fantasy and who better to bring it to us.
  30. HyperS
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bizarre story selection... but in a good unique kind of way. I was expecting a mindless Nazi killing fest, but there was actually a story in there with the Bastards, almost dare I say, just a minor backstory to a grander tale. The acting and characters were great, the pace went by well, and aside from the music/rambo montage near the end involving the cinema owner (David Bowie song was Bizarre story selection... but in a good unique kind of way. I was expecting a mindless Nazi killing fest, but there was actually a story in there with the Bastards, almost dare I say, just a minor backstory to a grander tale. The acting and characters were great, the pace went by well, and aside from the music/rambo montage near the end involving the cinema owner (David Bowie song was it?) the film was pretty solid (for what it was.. which I'm still not sure what to make of it all other than reach the conclusion Tarantino has a weird mind). Expand

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?