Inglourious Basterds

7.7

1. MarkB
    Aug 25, 2009
    This is the best QT movie ever and the best movie of the year so far. It is one of the few movies that I would consider seeing multiple times in the theater. My wife who does not usually enjoy violent movies liked it so much she wants to see it again.
  2. JaredSS
    Aug 21, 2009
    Along with "There Will Be Blood", "Synecdoche, New York" and "No Country for Old Men", a top contender for "movie of the decade" as far as I'm concerned. May just be Tarantino's best.
  3. RyanS
    Aug 21, 2009
    Incredible movie. Best movie of the year so far.
  4. RobbyN
    Aug 21, 2009
    Inglorious Basterds isn't going to appeal to everyone. Then again, it doesn't try to. At 153 minutes, Tarantino is given free reign to exercise every cinematic whim that floats into his twisted brain. Patience is rewarded with blistering humor and outrageously over-the-top action. For his portrayal of the evil Colonel Hans Landa, Christoph Waltz deserves an Oscar nod. Pitt is Inglorious Basterds isn't going to appeal to everyone. Then again, it doesn't try to. At 153 minutes, Tarantino is given free reign to exercise every cinematic whim that floats into his twisted brain. Patience is rewarded with blistering humor and outrageously over-the-top action. For his portrayal of the evil Colonel Hans Landa, Christoph Waltz deserves an Oscar nod. Pitt is absolutely hysterical and magnetic as ever. He delivers lieutenant Aldo Raine's lines in a voice that's a cross between George W. Bush and Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. Expand
  5. mark
    Aug 21, 2009
    Pure Tarantino! Amazing dialogue, great references. A perfect blend of genre films such as war movies, spaghetti westerns, and nazi-sploitation. I know not everyone will like this movie. But some people are boring loser pussies who don't know a great genre film when its right in front of their face and done by the best director working right now. So, if you don't like it. Eh, to Pure Tarantino! Amazing dialogue, great references. A perfect blend of genre films such as war movies, spaghetti westerns, and nazi-sploitation. I know not everyone will like this movie. But some people are boring loser pussies who don't know a great genre film when its right in front of their face and done by the best director working right now. So, if you don't like it. Eh, to each his own...you're just not a person I would want to hang out with. later. Expand
  6. NachoC
    Aug 21, 2009
    It is 9: 31 am, just 6 hours ago I was at a movie theater that was roaring in laughter, fear, anxiety and excitement as the Basterds terrorized the Nazis. Quentin Tarantino has created, in the great words of Lt. Raine, a masterpiece. A fantastic screenplay with edge of your seat moments. When I walked out at 3:00 am the only thing I wanted to do was return to that once time where It is 9: 31 am, just 6 hours ago I was at a movie theater that was roaring in laughter, fear, anxiety and excitement as the Basterds terrorized the Nazis. Quentin Tarantino has created, in the great words of Lt. Raine, a masterpiece. A fantastic screenplay with edge of your seat moments. When I walked out at 3:00 am the only thing I wanted to do was return to that once time where nazi-occupied France. Inglorious Basterds is the best film of the year. Collapse
  7. AnaL
    Aug 21, 2009
    It is a great ride. Didn't drag for me at all. Can't wait to see it again.
  8. EmeryB
    Aug 21, 2009
    Film making at it's finest.
  9. DarrylF.
    Aug 21, 2009
    This is the best Tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. It's the kind of movie that you want see again right after it ends. It was highly enjoyable...and it was better than kill bill 1 & 2 combined (although I still loved both of those movies). Totally worth the wait.
  10. PeggyB
    Aug 21, 2009
    Great from beginning to end! Some gore I had to look away from but overall absolutely absorbing and entertaining.
  11. TylerH.
    Amazing.
  12. PaulL.
    Aug 21, 2009
    This movie is Quentin's best. This movie has culture, no America f**k yea, in this one. This film is especially for those of you who are intelligent enough to speak more than one language. Key word in this though, is fiction.
  13. RyanH.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Quentin Tarantino outdoes himself and delivers his finest film to date.
  14. JackG.
    Aug 22, 2009
    On a first impression... this is second only to Pulp Fiction. This is Tarantino making rules just to break them, and maybe make up new ones again. It's also one of the few films this year you'll be able to call true art. This doesn't mean it will please everybody. This is definitely not a *crowdpleaser*, though I'm sure a lot of crowds will be pleased. It's about On a first impression... this is second only to Pulp Fiction. This is Tarantino making rules just to break them, and maybe make up new ones again. It's also one of the few films this year you'll be able to call true art. This doesn't mean it will please everybody. This is definitely not a *crowdpleaser*, though I'm sure a lot of crowds will be pleased. It's about taking apart the absurd but very real atrocities of war- both the Nazis and good ol' American barbarism- and putting it all together in a movie theater. Talk about microcosm! The final line may just be hubris, or it may just be about right: it's a masterpiece; how you feel about the master is up to you. Expand
  15. Ryan
    Aug 22, 2009
    Fantastic film all-around. Wonderfully detailed, superb acting, and a great deal of fun.
  16. JionS.
    Aug 22, 2009
    amazing movie, best tarantino movie since Pulp Fiction. I cant believe some critics are reviewing this flick poorly.
  17. SteveG.
    Aug 22, 2009
    I loved this movie, but its not for everyone. People who are put off by "gratuitous" violence will be equally put off by the film. The film is a deft combination of a spaghetti western and a WW2 mission movie. I am no huge Brad Pitt fan, but his turn as Lt. Aldo Raine is fun to watch. Christophe Waltz is terrific as the villainous Nazi Jew hunter. The movie is gory at times and definitely I loved this movie, but its not for everyone. People who are put off by "gratuitous" violence will be equally put off by the film. The film is a deft combination of a spaghetti western and a WW2 mission movie. I am no huge Brad Pitt fan, but his turn as Lt. Aldo Raine is fun to watch. Christophe Waltz is terrific as the villainous Nazi Jew hunter. The movie is gory at times and definitely over the top, in a similar way as was the original "Inglorious Bastards" from 1978, which Tarantino's film shares only the the title (mostly), time and location (France in WW2). But its a hell of a roller coaster ride with a wonderfully ironic ending. I loved this movie. Expand
  18. ZackF.
    Aug 22, 2009
    An enthralling, beautifully shot movie. Tarantino has no fear using foreign languages and challenging American audiences. Well done.
  19. MikeD.
    Aug 22, 2009
    This is a work of cinematic genius. QT's writing, directing, and overall knowledge of film, has given us a work of art that is a perfect throw back to films of substance. His BEST work, hands down.
  20. NDL
    Inglourious basterds is a QT Masterpiece Thank god I didn
  21. ChrisF.
    Aug 22, 2009
    The most creative and entertaining film I've seen in a long time.
  22. JeffS.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Like Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction, this is a masterpiece; a movie to be savored and enjoyed one mesmerizing frame at a time. Both audiences I was with clapped at the end (I stayed an watched it again). Quentin's brilliance is in full shine in IB; his love for the craft and art of cinema is evident. The casting, the writing, the production, that acting! What a great, great movie.
  23. NickC.
    Aug 22, 2009
    QT's best. I can't wait to see it again.
  24. CraigN.
    Aug 22, 2009
    Excellent move, take a wacky fictional ww2 tale, tack on just enough action, witty dialogue and humor, lastly add that tarantino spice and your have inglorious basterds another excellent tarantino film.
  25. Mike
    Aug 22, 2009
    Amazing! A masterpiece! Best movie of the Decade!
  26. Rob
    Aug 22, 2009
    It's about time. Glouriously entertaining. Tarantino pulls it off and potentially leaves many looking for an inner meaning very confused. Brilliant!
  27. BillyS.
    Aug 22, 2009
    This movie was absolutely Brilliant. I loved every second of it. I am glad that I didn't read any of these reviews because clearly they weren't watching the same movie.
  28. DecR
    Aug 23, 2009
    If you don't get Tarantino then don't bother seeing this movie, if you do then prepare to be mind blown! The man has hit a new peak!
  29. TylerH.
    Amazing.
  30. jefye.
    Aug 23, 2009
    Awesome, beautiful photography and great moments of tension especially the first chapter.
  31. EvanW.
    Aug 23, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. This is gloriously entertaining that only the magnificent Tarantino could make.
  32. JustinL
    Aug 23, 2009
    Amazing movie. If this isn't Tarantino's masterpiece, I can't wait to see what is.
  33. NancyD
    Aug 23, 2009
    Incredible! Col. Landa had the best performance in the movie.
  34. JennyH
    Aug 23, 2009
    I wasn't sure about going to this because of the violent nature of some of QT films. I don't like having to cover my eyes through large parts of movies! However, IG wasn't very bad in this regard and only a few questionable scenes. Other than that, I absolutely LOVED THIS MOVIE! The theater broke out in applause...my husband who is super picky love it... It was thoroughly, I wasn't sure about going to this because of the violent nature of some of QT films. I don't like having to cover my eyes through large parts of movies! However, IG wasn't very bad in this regard and only a few questionable scenes. Other than that, I absolutely LOVED THIS MOVIE! The theater broke out in applause...my husband who is super picky love it... It was thoroughly, thoroughly entertaining. Definitely go see it! Expand
  35. MarkB
    A movie with fortitude.
  36. SimonG.
    Aug 23, 2009
    This movie is what the pleasure of movie going is all about. Not only it didn't disappoint but generously exceeded my expectations and raised the bar for future Tarantino movies. 5 big thumb-up stars.
  37. GregoryP
    Aug 23, 2009
    I've yet to give my opinion of a film ever online. But Quentins' WWII movie Basterds is pure film making at it's best. It is Cinema, don't be fooled by the less then stellar reviews you may see, they are just plain wrong; missing the point entirely.
  38. AshleyD
    Aug 23, 2009
    Fantastic! Tarantino's made his masterpiece!
  39. GabbyG.
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino didn't disappoint me he delivered as usual. Awesome movie good story line. my heart was pounding the last 20 minutes its been a while since a film has done that.
  40. RickK
    Aug 23, 2009
    What I love about Tarantino is his ability to take the standard cliche-filled movie genre and inject it with the action/wit/gore that only he knows. This movie blows standard WW2 movies out of the water.
  41. ChadS.
    Aug 23, 2009
    At the gala premiere of "Nation's Pride", Fredrick Zoller(Daniel Bruhl), a Nazi war hero turned actor, reaches a point in which the gratuitous killing becomes too much for him, and has to look away. Movie mogul Joseph Goebbels(Sylvester Groth) based a movie on Zoller's exploits because Adolph Hitler's Reichminister of Propaganda loves spectacle(Zoller had gunned down over At the gala premiere of "Nation's Pride", Fredrick Zoller(Daniel Bruhl), a Nazi war hero turned actor, reaches a point in which the gratuitous killing becomes too much for him, and has to look away. Movie mogul Joseph Goebbels(Sylvester Groth) based a movie on Zoller's exploits because Adolph Hitler's Reichminister of Propaganda loves spectacle(Zoller had gunned down over three-hundred American soldiers from a bell tower); he's described as Hollywood mogul David O. Selznick earlier in the film, so maybe this is his "Gone With the Wind". In the theater, Goebbels and the Fuhrer laugh without consciousness at the rising body count, but not Zoller, who derives no pleasure from filmic violence. The Nazi soldier's revulsion towards his own part in the massacre supports the validity of the Nuremberg Defense, which states that the man on trial was "only following orders". Moreover, Zoller is in a position of moral superiority over us, the moviegoers watching "Inglourious Basterds", who have in common with Adolph Hitler, the ability to express amusement over movie violence. The filmmaker makes us complicit. The filmmaker shows us Zoller's vulnerable side, his humanity, as Steven Spielberg did in "Schindler's List", when Amon Goethe(Ralph Fiennes) expresses his love for Helen, his personal servant, played by Embeth Davidz. Zoller's humanity leads him to the projection room where Shosanna Dreyfus(Melanie Laurent), the object of the Nazi soldier's affection, repels his charms in cold blood. While the soldier's body lies motionless near the door, Shosanna glances at the screen, at Zoller, who lives on, flickering, and looking particularly noble, and decent, in close-up. "Nation's Pride" seduces her. After all, it's a propaganda film. Like us, who responded to Goeth's romantic angst, Shosanna is made discognizant by the rhetorical world of the diegesis, and confuses the filmic Zoller for the real thing, lying in her projection room. And pays for it. This action recalls the mistake Cecilia(Mia Farrow) commits in Woody Allen's "The Purple Rose of Cairo". Like the Depression-era waitress, Shosanna falls for the wrong man; the real man, instead of the idea of the man. Expand
  42. ArmandoP
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino's movies are always a masterpiece! he is unique, this movie is like a adrenaline explosion.
  43. David
    Aug 23, 2009
    Tarantino is a genius. This movie is as great as Pulp Fiction. I've seen it twice already.
  44. JasonD
    Aug 24, 2009
    Another great Tarantino flick. Funny, violent, and utterly entertaining. There are some parts that drag a little but everything else makes up for it. Brad Pitt was outstanding as well as Christopher Waltz.
  45. SimonX
    Aug 24, 2009
    This is such a great movie! Christoph Waltz is unbelievably good in the role of Landa. The audiences applaused in the end and I enjoyed every single minute of this masterpiece. By the way, I'm German.
  46. AndrewL
    Aug 24, 2009
    Best since Pulp Fiction. Typical of Tarantino movies the opening scene is so engaging you can't turn away. You people are morons and need to get back to your reality shows if you can't appreciate something original.
  47. Sean
    Aug 24, 2009
    Definitely the best movie I've seen this year... As for anonymous, I call his bullshit, my theatre was packed and not one person left. If they walked out I guess they really wanted to see GI Joe.
  48. MikeN.
    Aug 24, 2009
    This is one in a long line of classics by Tarrantino. It is a cinematic masterpiece. I loved this movie from the begining to the end.
  49. OscarF.
    Aug 24, 2009
    This movie shows the unearthly talent of director Quentin Tarantino. This movie is hilarious, violent, and so good that whoever misses it, would die without experiencing real filmaking. Cristopher Waltz is a great actor and deserves the academy award for best supporting actor!
  50. NedV.
    Aug 24, 2009
    I could give this a 9 for only two reasons: 1. Eli Roth 2. I read the original script. In the original script, Chapter 3, "A German Night in Paris", was indicated at the beginning, "This section of the movie will be shot entirely in black and white 'French New Wave' style." I'm really disappointed Tarantino didn't follow through on that. But those are quibbles. how can I could give this a 9 for only two reasons: 1. Eli Roth 2. I read the original script. In the original script, Chapter 3, "A German Night in Paris", was indicated at the beginning, "This section of the movie will be shot entirely in black and white 'French New Wave' style." I'm really disappointed Tarantino didn't follow through on that. But those are quibbles. how can I not give this movie a 10??? SEE IT. (Among the surprises for me was how patriotic it was. Everyone clapped at the end, and this was in lib central (NYC). God Bless America!!!) Expand
  51. seajay
    Aug 25, 2009
    I expected a dumb action film like "Kill Bill" and instead got a film as suspenseful as Hitchcock's best. And I confess I found the revisionist climax strangely satisfying.
  52. DanS
    Aug 25, 2009
    Knowing what you're going into from the previews, and overall excellent film.
  53. MannyA.
    Aug 25, 2009
    Incredible movie, absolutely loved it from beginning to end. Great story, great characters, it's just so much fun and entertaining.
  54. NickP
    Aug 25, 2009
    A fantastic movie from start to finish. Tarantino draws out the tension like no one else. Superb acting, twists of fate, and a blast of an ending. I will see this again, probably very soon. It's only drawn out for people with short attention spans, and disdain for plots committed to characters.
  55. Creyos
    Aug 26, 2009
    Best movie I've ever seen. Simple.
  56. BradleyT.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Basterds is an amazing blend of gravity, absurdity, and gore. White the the violent action sequences are well-crafted and thoroughly exciting, it is the dialog that drives the movie and earns the violence. Contrary to many reviews, the non-action scenes are far from boring. Tarantino uses language to build tension in each scene. While the dialog-heavy scenes are long, each one is infused Basterds is an amazing blend of gravity, absurdity, and gore. White the the violent action sequences are well-crafted and thoroughly exciting, it is the dialog that drives the movie and earns the violence. Contrary to many reviews, the non-action scenes are far from boring. Tarantino uses language to build tension in each scene. While the dialog-heavy scenes are long, each one is infused a sense that anything can happen. This plus high stakes makes every second of Basterds a thrill to watch. Expand
  57. davidd.
    Aug 27, 2009
    I notice that some people did not appreciate the brilliance of this movie. They need to get their heads checked. This is a complicated, historically intricate, audacious and intense film. And, yes, you need to be able to READ during the film. Lots. It's called "hooked on phonics," go try it. Anyways, the best movie of the year. It will make you tense, excited, laugh, cry, and cheer, I notice that some people did not appreciate the brilliance of this movie. They need to get their heads checked. This is a complicated, historically intricate, audacious and intense film. And, yes, you need to be able to READ during the film. Lots. It's called "hooked on phonics," go try it. Anyways, the best movie of the year. It will make you tense, excited, laugh, cry, and cheer, and walk out with tremendous pride to be an American--because we have the freedom to produce this kind of art and be able to appreciate it. Expand
  58. MomoC.
    Aug 27, 2009
    Best movie I've seen all year. Amazing dialogue all round.
  59. GiaD.
    Aug 27, 2009
    Only second to JAckie Brown in my opinion.
  60. ThierryK
    Aug 27, 2009
    I've seen this movie today and wow! I did not expected i was going to see a masterpiece, the conversations, the actions ,the humour(especially when brad pitt talked italian, it whas really hilarious!). Overall, it is certainly the best movie to date, especially with all the nobrain action movies.
  61. TimL
    Aug 27, 2009
    A delicious film for any QT fan. Totally absorbing and beautifully shot, with fine acting performances. A true multi-layered masterpeice. why did so many people hate this? madness.
  62. DariaG
    Aug 28, 2009
    I loved this movie. I will be going to see it again.
  63. BradC
    Aug 28, 2009
    Subtle, beautiful, dense. One of Tarantino's best films. I was totally invested in the characters. Go and see it for yourself; you are smart enough to enjoy this movie.
  64. DavidB
    Aug 28, 2009
    My favorite QT film since Pulp Fiction. Might be the best film that I've seen so far this year, as well. I didn't feel that any of the scenes were too long; the dialogue and pacing were absolutely perfect. A bit of gross violence here and there, but nothing like the stylized gorefests of previous QT films. Well worth seeing on the big screen -- just be sure to hit the bathroom My favorite QT film since Pulp Fiction. Might be the best film that I've seen so far this year, as well. I didn't feel that any of the scenes were too long; the dialogue and pacing were absolutely perfect. A bit of gross violence here and there, but nothing like the stylized gorefests of previous QT films. Well worth seeing on the big screen -- just be sure to hit the bathroom beforehand and buy a big bag of popcorn. Expand
  65. RobJ.
    Aug 29, 2009
    Not joking, my favorite movie. I had to see it again immediately. It is just incredible.
  66. KazK
    Aug 29, 2009
    Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and Amazing movie. I can't believe people thought this was bad or found it "offensive". What's offensive about nazis getting killed by jews? There are no scenes with concentration camps or anything like that. If i was Jewish I would like this movie even more because of how awesome the nazi killing is. You will especially dig this movie if you are a QT fan. A bit slow at times and quite long but that's how all QT movies are so if you have the taste for his stuff than this is a MUST-SEE. If you found pulp fiction or kill bill boring then this is not the movie for you. Expand
  67. JohnH
    Aug 29, 2009
    QT has matured, but still has his unique spice and style. This movie is, dare i say, his best yet. A masterpiece. Enjoyed every single minute. Brilliant.
  68. loub
    Aug 29, 2009
    Not as clever as Pulp Fiction,but a future cult classic.
  69. JacobA
    Aug 30, 2009
    Easily the best film I've seen this year.
  70. WillC
    Aug 30, 2009
    Classic Tarantino! You can see he has used all of his work to date to put together this masterpiece.
  71. SteveF
    Aug 30, 2009
    Wow wow wow wow wow this movie is a perfect 10! I can't stop thinking about it and I need to see it again...on Blu-ray anyway. I feel for all the negative reviewers.. they must be dead inside...no kidding everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  72. BrandonF
    Aug 30, 2009
    I balk at all of you who are too weak and narrow minded to see the genius in this film. Honestly, this is film making at its finest, by one of the industries best (Tarantino). Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, unless, that is you're too impatient to listen to dialogue and were expecting 2 hours of brutal nazi murders. Tarantino does a fabulous job at portraying both sides I balk at all of you who are too weak and narrow minded to see the genius in this film. Honestly, this is film making at its finest, by one of the industries best (Tarantino). Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish, unless, that is you're too impatient to listen to dialogue and were expecting 2 hours of brutal nazi murders. Tarantino does a fabulous job at portraying both sides as human as possible and makes the resolution of the film so incredibly satisfying, even more so if you've seen Valkyrie. Ignore the ignorant slub of people ranting about his disrespect to the victims of world war II, this is art, this is a story, and WWII happened to be the setting. Grow up people, stop being so sensitive. Expand
  73. CorinH
    Aug 31, 2009
    Very uniquely interwoven series of shorts are masterfully combined to form one of Tarantino's best. This movie explores into the realms of visceral satire that I've never before seen a director dare to go.
  74. JasonK
    Aug 31, 2009
    Easily his best since Pulp Fiction. I came in with serious doubts, and it still blew me away.
  75. AM.
    Sep 3, 2009
    Best movie I have seen in a long time!
  76. DavidR.
    Sep 5, 2009
    I just came back from the theatre and although both of my parent loathed it, i found it just as captivating and excellent as the many other Tarintino film have seen. Keep in mind, this movie is not for the faint of heart, there are many graphic scenes that you would not think to be there from watching the trailer. But the violence and gore all have a more real look to it, much unlike the I just came back from the theatre and although both of my parent loathed it, i found it just as captivating and excellent as the many other Tarintino film have seen. Keep in mind, this movie is not for the faint of heart, there are many graphic scenes that you would not think to be there from watching the trailer. But the violence and gore all have a more real look to it, much unlike the Kill Bill movies. all in all, i thought it was great, but not the best Tarintino movie Expand
  77. DougT
    Sep 6, 2009
    Normally, I don't give movies a perfect score, but this is my favorite movie this year (so far). The plot is what really draws you in, and I'm into the dark comedy style, so that's probably why it gets such a high recommendation from me. The acting is great, the story flows pretty well, the chapter sections make it easy to follow, and give a more "epic tale" feel to the Normally, I don't give movies a perfect score, but this is my favorite movie this year (so far). The plot is what really draws you in, and I'm into the dark comedy style, so that's probably why it gets such a high recommendation from me. The acting is great, the story flows pretty well, the chapter sections make it easy to follow, and give a more "epic tale" feel to the whole movie. Lot's of hilarious moments that really make it shine- basically, it's a Quentin Tarantino movie. If you liked pulp-fiction, and aren't too easily offended, my bet is this is going to be a good movie for you. Oh, and about Brad Pitt's accent, it's not supposed to be convincing. The point of his character is to show how outrageous this movie really is. Expand
  78. Aaron
    Sep 8, 2009
    Besides Brad Pitt's forced performance and his horribly exaggerated Southern accent, this is a terrific film. Tarantino has not lost his ear for great dialogue, and it comes across even in the subtitles. You may not really know what his point is by the end of the story, but it is nevertheless fascinating and a joy to watch. Also, props to Christoph Waltz's performance has Besides Brad Pitt's forced performance and his horribly exaggerated Southern accent, this is a terrific film. Tarantino has not lost his ear for great dialogue, and it comes across even in the subtitles. You may not really know what his point is by the end of the story, but it is nevertheless fascinating and a joy to watch. Also, props to Christoph Waltz's performance has Colonel Landa. Not only does he act in (four!) different languages, but he gives the typical, evil Nazi role a good dose of dry wit and humor. Expand
  79. AlejandroF
    Sep 8, 2009
    Inglorious Bastards is one of the best movies I have seen. This movie comes with more then you expect. It is a film that is more then clever, it is brilliant, a masterpiece. The acting is extraordinaire. QT has a superb skill of cinematographic. He will continue making grate films.
  80. DiegT
    Sep 8, 2009
    Grate film, good acting, best directing, excellent storyline. With this said, no more words are needed.
  81. JackC
    Sep 9, 2009
    Likely the best movie of the last two years. A lot of the negative reviews I'm seeing are making petty and irrelevant points... when it boils down to it, this was a tremendously acted and directed masterpiece about classic films. Sorry it wasn't the bloodbath promised in the trailers. It turned out to b a movie 10 times better.
  82. JakeK
    Sep 9, 2009
    Besides Brad Pitt sounding like a constipated John Dwayne this movie is intense and spine tangling the actually kill Adolf Hitler its amazing!
  83. eliasc
    Sep 9, 2009
    I have not been a Tarantino fan for quite a while. The promise of films like 'Reservoir Dogs' and 'Pulp Fiction' were never realized after 1994 with the exception of 'Jackie Brown. But with 'Inglorious Basterds', Quentin Tarintino has returned. Once again he has written a film for actors, and though there is plenty of gratuitous violence to satisfy fans I have not been a Tarantino fan for quite a while. The promise of films like 'Reservoir Dogs' and 'Pulp Fiction' were never realized after 1994 with the exception of 'Jackie Brown. But with 'Inglorious Basterds', Quentin Tarintino has returned. Once again he has written a film for actors, and though there is plenty of gratuitous violence to satisfy fans of blood and guts war movies, this a film about dialogue and acting at its best. Is it a war movie, a western, a fantasy? It does not matter. It is about Brad Pitts over-the-top acting as Lt Also Raine, Christoph Waltz's chillingly repugnant yet fascinating portrayal as Nazi Hans Landa, and the great performances by Melanie Laurent as French Jewish survivor Shosanna Dreyfus and Daniel Bruhl as the sniper war hero Fredrick Zoller. Thank you Quentin for giving us a movie where Jews are not victims and kill Nazis. It may not be history but your WWII fantasy brings to life the secret dreams of many an American Jewish boy growing up in the shadow of the Holocaust and bombarded by countless films of survivor guilt. Expand
  84. JackS
    Sep 9, 2009
    Inglorious Basterds is DEFINITELY one of the best movies I have seen in the past 10 years. Christoph Waltz plays an excellent role as colonol Landa and Brad Pitt also plays a very good role as Lt. Aldo Raine who, yes, made me laugh out loud more than a few times throughout the movie. Yes, a completely twisted plot, but yet, about the most entertaining movie I have ever seen in the movie Inglorious Basterds is DEFINITELY one of the best movies I have seen in the past 10 years. Christoph Waltz plays an excellent role as colonol Landa and Brad Pitt also plays a very good role as Lt. Aldo Raine who, yes, made me laugh out loud more than a few times throughout the movie. Yes, a completely twisted plot, but yet, about the most entertaining movie I have ever seen in the movie theatre. And please, give A BIG round of applause to Quentin Tarrantino who wrote and directed this breath-taking masterpiece. Expand
  85. odimit
    Sep 9, 2009
    Amazing Movie! Tarantino does not desappoint at all. Sad to have to read such ridiculous comments such as Arch S' who appears to be a self-centered american idiot unable to appreciatte a great film spoken in four beautiful languages.
  86. PaulM
    Sep 10, 2009
    Fantastic. Definitely worth seeing multiple times. Don't expect a lot of action scenes or a great story. Go to see fantastic acting and cinematography. All Tarantino fans should see this.
  87. SebH
    Sep 11, 2009
    God Arch S, unless you're being ironic then you epitomise everything I hate about America. No, it's too hard to read the subtitles, who cares about experiencing beautiful languages and perhaps even learning something. That aside, IB is so far my pick of 2009's blockbusters, possibly the best thing Tarantino has ever done alongside Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs (but this God Arch S, unless you're being ironic then you epitomise everything I hate about America. No, it's too hard to read the subtitles, who cares about experiencing beautiful languages and perhaps even learning something. That aside, IB is so far my pick of 2009's blockbusters, possibly the best thing Tarantino has ever done alongside Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs (but this feels so much more coherent and cinematic than Pulp Fiction did, so it's hard to compare). It's just great cinema, everything from the characters to the violence to the humour to the soundtrack epically awesome. Nothing I have ever watched has been as satisfying as seeing Hitler's face be mashed up with machine gun bullets, and that's the genius of it. Expand
  88. afdsafdddd
    Sep 20, 2009
    Simply, awesome. This film demonstrates why Tarantino is the best director in this days.
  89. pat
    Sep 23, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. The main criticisms I see seem to be that the characters are over the top or unbelievable, keep in mind Tarantino's characters do not live in the world we do, and they are often representations of something else entirely. Go see it if you get the chance.
  90. CarolynB
    Sep 23, 2009
    I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where I hated Pulp Fiction and haven't seen another Tarrantino film. Yet, I *LOVED* this movie. It has to be one of the best I have seen in years (There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men were awful in comparison to this). This movie should be seen for acting and the dialogue alone. The cinematography and direction is wonderful, too. Wonderful, wonderful tension filled scenes where the Nazi colonel questions resistance fighters and double agents and you wonder whether they will be found out or not. Expand
  91. CameronB
    Oct 1, 2009
    I would say one of the best movies of 2009. It had an interesting plot, amazing actors and great scripting. I recommend this movie to all who haven't seen it yet.
  92. NK
    Oct 2, 2009
    It could've been two hours of grossly gratuitous violence, but Tarantino made it ART. I wasn't expecting this kind of brilliance. The film is so carefully, thoughtfully crafted, from the writing to the way each shot of Oscar-worthy acting is framed (Waltz, playing Landa, is a horrifying). And the depth! It drips with ambition (and how could it not, as it defies and redefines It could've been two hours of grossly gratuitous violence, but Tarantino made it ART. I wasn't expecting this kind of brilliance. The film is so carefully, thoughtfully crafted, from the writing to the way each shot of Oscar-worthy acting is framed (Waltz, playing Landa, is a horrifying). And the depth! It drips with ambition (and how could it not, as it defies and redefines "The WWII Movie"). Such a dizzying, dazzling array of film-play -- Tarantino's outdone himself with the layers of tension, irony, death, humor -- and all of it so aesthetically rendered. If you don't walk out completely blown away by the complexity of it, you aren't paying attention. We will forgive the film for it's inclusion of some necessarily evils (and some unnecessary ones, like Brad Pitt's acting) because the overall effect is tremendous, thought-provoking and enduring. Bravo. Expand
  93. ClifC
    Oct 17, 2009
    Well... "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" are the best movies of the year. "Inglorious" is a masterpiece: it's mature, artsy, visually stunning (the scene with the theater screen burning, for example; that gave me shivers), action-packed, with exquisite dialogues, amazing actings (Waltz deserves an Academy Award for it), ... The only thing that somebody who really appreciates Well... "District 9" and "Inglourious Basterds" are the best movies of the year. "Inglorious" is a masterpiece: it's mature, artsy, visually stunning (the scene with the theater screen burning, for example; that gave me shivers), action-packed, with exquisite dialogues, amazing actings (Waltz deserves an Academy Award for it), ... The only thing that somebody who really appreciates good films (because a lot still don't understand Quentin Tarantino's art) could regret is the lack of complexity in the film. There was no temporal "destruction" this time and no real character developpement. But in my opinion, it didn't matter, it was obvious that it was useless. Anyway... Quentin Tarantino made it again! Bravo. Expand
  94. AngryM
    Nov 5, 2009
    Greatest movie of the year! People who hated it put it aside and go back to watching "Dancing with the stars".
  95. HarryS
    Nov 9, 2009
    Very impressive. Great acting!!
  96. TerryJ
    Nov 9, 2009
    One of the best films of 2009. Great plot, and incredibly great directing.
  97. MaryM
    Best film of the year!!
  98. ChrisG.
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well you either like QT or you don't. I happen to like the guy's work, and consequently cannot but recommend it heavily. Excellent movie for those who can appreciate these films, but not one of the majority. I think this is reflected in the type of votes given by the public. Either very high or very low.
  99. TrevorD
    Nov 12, 2009
    Sadly, the metacritic score that "generalizes" the reviews and critical responses to this brilliant masterpiece does Inglourious Basterds absolutely no justice. Simply put, Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino's finest work since Pulp Fiction, and quite simply one of the best films of 2009, if not the best.
  100. JoshL
    Nov 13, 2009
    This is easily Tarantino's best since Pulp Fiction. Its fun, entralling and suprisingly resonant.

1. The film is by no means terrible -- its two hours and 32 minutes running time races by -- but those things we think of as being Tarantino-esque, the long stretches of wickedly funny dialogue, the humor in the violence and outsized characters strutting across the screen, are largely missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A violent fairy tale, an increasingly entertaining fantasia in which the history of World War II is wildly reimagined so that the cinema can play the decisive role in destroying the Third Reich.
  3. In Tarantino's besotted historical reverie, real-life villains Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels are played as grotesque jokes. The Basterds are played as exaggeratedly tough Jews. The women are femmes fatales.?