7.0

1. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ever since I saw the Saw short film by James Wan, I found a new favourite horror director! Brilliant style of horror cinema, with an amazing chilling ambiance, plus the cinematographers are perfect (David M. Brewer & John R. Leonetti). Huge props go to Leigh Whannell for writing a masterpeice. I love the whole concept behind the astral projection aspect, and the place called The Further intrigued me! I'm 'bout to watch Chapter 2, which Ii'll also review here. Expand
  2. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Insidious was slow and sort of boring, but it was still entertaining with all the horrific scenes that make you either jump out of your seat or scream like your on a roller coaster.
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    This is the scariest movie I have ever seen in my life. It's suspenseful, no blood or gore, which makes it far scarier. I myself have seen a lot of these kind of movies and this is honestly the scariest one I have seen yet.
  4. Jun 5, 2014
    Consensus: Insidious is witty, clever, well acted, scary and original. James Wan has a new fan. 91/100 (A-)

Insidious is an american horror film directed by James Wan with a small budget ($1,500,000). At first the film looks like Paranormal Activity 2 (without the found-footage), but after the second half becomes very original.

Things start to happen and it's scary as hell, the
    performances are really good (Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson are superb) James Wan is a very good director, he's an expert in the genre, the plot is original and the scares effective, all the characters are very well developed, some characters are a bit silly, some very funny in a good way.

Ultra-Amazing special effects and the film terrifies you with loud sounds and disturbing images, there's a lot of inspiration here, is intense and scary, the end is awesome but confusing, so... if this film left you wanting more watch Insidious: Chapter 2. (Not good, but palpable). Visit my blog: memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter @MemoBosque
  5. May 15, 2014
    One of the best modern horror movies. Back in 2011 this movie was a pleasant surprise. After the painful drought for horror movie fans, James Wan comes with great horror flick and ends our suffering. Although the movie kinda fell apart at the very ending it was still very enjoyable.
  6. May 3, 2014
    I saw " Insidious " thinking about being in front of a movie completely new and really scary , given the good reviews I had read. Unfortunately, my impressions have not approached even a little ' earlier expectations .
    Where is all this originality ? I have not seen it . Appearances paranormal , parallel worlds, mediums, haunted houses, demonic possession , etc. I do not seem so original
    elements for a modern film , rather they are among the most typical and raped for horror movies .
    Sure, it's not fair to base the value of a movie considering only the original , but even if the script is working fine, flat and rather superficial defects such as these can only put more emphasis . To further strengthen the weakness of the film is the evidence actorial , which in part to Lin Shaye , I found unrealistic in their desire to be realistic .
    Overall, then , the movie did not like it , but I recognize some merits in it, such as the discrete directed by James Wan , and several dark scenes . In my opinion there were all the elements to make a great horror film , but unfortunately have not been exploited to the fullest.
  7. Apr 10, 2014
    There is a good beginning and good horror scenes.But what kills the movie in my opinion is when Patrick Wilson's character goes in the other world to save his son,it is not realistic at all.But it stays a good horror movie.
  8. Mar 23, 2014
    Good horror movie with some cool plot twists and an excellent cliffhanger.
    Positives:
    - Good Story
    - Nuanced
    - Great Actors
    Negatives:
    - Too short
    - Not all that scary
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    insidious is not that scary but gives me the creeps but i did not think it was fun . it is a sort of scary to learn about like the paranormal activity i will watch that soon .
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    When not being an unintentional comedy and not scary whatsoever. Insidious is incredibly boring, formulaic and predictable. Many compare this to Sinister, I think that is unfair, not just because Sinister is actually a good film but because Sinister bothers to build up tension. Insidious does not. The scares consist of a long silence and then a CGI ghost or creature appearing (usually the very funny Darth Maul with a 60’s haircut and Freddy Kreuger glove), that is not scary. In some places I jumped but as I have ranted about in many other reviews there is a large difference between a film making you jump and a film being scary. I was always bored, always knew what was going to happen next, always cringing and almost always laughing. A perfect example of how modern horror movies are complete crap. Expand
  11. Feb 10, 2014
    If you want a film that won't scare you to help you sleep at night than don't watch this film. But if you want a film that will make you shake with fear and make you never want to turn the light off again then watch this film.
    The film is about family of 5 who move to a new house which seems to be fine at first but then the wife, Renai (Rose Byrne) starts seeing ghostly figures and
    hearing eerie voices. And when the youngest son, Dalton (Ty Simpkins) falls into an eternal sleep the family decides to call a woman, Elise (Lin Shaye), who is an expert in dealing with ghosts. But soon after calling this woman the family find out a terrible secret which is that it isn't the house that's haunted it's something much worse.
    In this film it was hard to choose my favourite scene because there's lots of parts in it that make you jump. One part that made me almost jump out of my skin is the part were the husband, Josh, (Patrick Wilson) is in a room with four ghosts who seem motionless but then the ghosts disappear and reappear right infront of his face.
    The film also ropes you in at the beginning when it shows scary images during the credits and the film also keeps you interested until the end when there is a terrifying twist.
    I would recommend this film to anyone who likes a good horror film that makes you jump out of your seat in almost every scene. And I would rate this film 8/10.
  12. Jan 23, 2014
    This movie scared me a lot. They have tensions scares, jump scares, and creep-you-out scares. I am very thankful that the writers made the ending a little more absurd than realistic, otherwise I'd have been traumatized for months.
  13. Jan 20, 2014
    I do not find Insidious to be that good. I believe Insidious is nothing more than an over-hyped thriller with a handful of scares, and an enjoyable cameo by a Tiny Tim song.
  14. Jan 20, 2014
    Wow, this movie sucks ass. If you think this movie is good or scary you obviously haven't watched any before. It's the same **** over and over again. Every single scary movie has the people seeing or experiencing creepy or "scary" things and yet they continue to stay in the place or house and not do anything about it and the "husband" never believes it at first and then things happen to him and then he believes then they get help and the help runs off. The movie is Crap seriously if you think this is a good movie then my god it's no wonder they keep making this **** it's not even scary at all. I love horror movies but f**k me they are so **** and not scary. Expand
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    This movie isn't scary at all, sometimes instead of being scared I was laughing, the only interesting part is the end, that can, maybe, you stay looking forward to the next one, the characters are poorly made and sometimes the movie just doesn't make sense.
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    Insidious delivers the thrills and scares for the most part of the movie with good setup, acting and characters, and then crumbles at the final act with a lot of clumsiness and a shaky plot and an atmosphere that is neither tense nor scary.
  17. Nov 24, 2013
    This reminds me of dazzling thoughts contained in Indian philosophy. Atman is hidden inside the body that can be attained through continuous meditation, the direction for which is sought through a GURU. Actually body is completely in tune with the atman so that it cannot find itself to be a separate entity until one strives very hard to find as one different from it. this adventure is termed as THAPAS in Hindu Mythology. If one does this, he will attain SIDDHIS and can go really out of this physical body as an astral body. Many stages in the film depict the Director's strange attachment with Indian thoughts which are culled well to have a deep impression over the mind to sense the worldly relationships as unreal and imaginary as long as we live in this world. Wish to see many more versions of this type to make us realise this bondings between us as unreal. Thanks Expand
  18. Oct 30, 2013
    cuando se cuenta con un bajo presupuesto no hay que intentar hacer cosas que por logica saldran mal con un bajo presupuesto, malos efectos, cosas que no dan miedo etc.
    Insidious estuvo bien la primera parte, la ultima media hora fue algo desastrozo en donde intentaron hacer hasta lo imposible por haacer ver 3 millones como 20 esto no es tanto asi no la desvaloro tanto pues la primera
    parte fue muy buena Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    While not as creepy as The Shining or Pet Semetary It's still creepy, even more than most classic horror movies. I enjoyed the demon and this is the first movie since the 80's to really creep me out.
  20. Oct 28, 2013
    A pretty good horror film. It's got a genuinely tense and creepy atmosphere, and because of it is able to provide some truly scary moments. Unlike most horror movies out there it doesn't rely on lame jump scares. It has them, but it doesn't rely on them. The soundtrack is used to great effect here. It shows up at just the right moments to make things more intense and frightening. So it's a good horror movie that provides some genuine scares, but it's not perfect.

The second-half of the movie brings in some comic-relief characters that severely damage the overall tone and atmosphere of the movie. Also just like most modern horror movies lame jump scares are present that fail to elicit any sort of reaction, much less fear. The plot and acting could have also used just a little more tightening. These flaws do bring down the overall quality of the movie, but they don't ruin it.

All in all "Insidious" is both impressive and scary in a time where most horror movies fall flat. It manages to do what all horror movies should do, but most fail to do; being scary. So if you're looking for a good horror movie there are a huge selection of worse out there. So grab your popcorn, turn off the lights, and get ready for a fright. It may not be perfect, but "Insidious" delivers some truly frightening moments. That's more than I can say about most horror movies.
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    First off I am not a horror fan, I don't like them. They don't scare me. They make me laugh! I started to watch "Insidious" and I started getting goosebumps! The story got me involved! There was a touch of science which made the movie a little more believable. Overall the movie is not perfect, there are some cheesy parts. But what it does pull off, is a good horror movie. It delivers the right amount of scares, and is not over the top. Expand
  22. Oct 7, 2013
    This may not be the scariest movie ever but it's worth watching with entertaining jumpscares and its interesting plot and makes all of most of the main characters useful in the movie.
  23. Sep 21, 2013
    I saw Insidious on TV after going to see Insidious 2 at the cinema, so actually saw the two films in reverse order, regardless I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I thought that Insidious, compared to some of James Wan's other horrors/thrillers was a slightly overly hyped film. The film had some dull scenes and not very creative shots but still introduced an interesting element to ghost films and left me wanting for more. The horror in it focused on being creepy and didn't have to rely on a ton of jump-scares to scare me. Some scenes had me completely baffled and wanting to rewind just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I would recommend this film to anyone who likes ghost films. Expand
  24. Sep 20, 2013
    Terrifying film. This movie is a sterling example of what a ghost story should be like. Absolutely great movie. If you haven't seen it, I recommend this movie 100%.
  25. Sep 14, 2013
    Insidious is the type of horror film that is rarely seen in Hollywood today a film with no gore and all fun. A film that is well made and which acting is superb. A-
  26. Sep 7, 2013
    I watched it because it has pretty good ratings and was hoping for a great modern horror but what I got was mediocrity. I'm not pretending to be a tough guy, I get scared easily, but this movie simply was not scary. It had maybe 3 good jump scares throughout but jump scares are cheap horror and easy to pull off.

The plot was interesting at first when we didn't know what was happening
    but when its revealed its a complete joke. I won't spoil it but the ending has been done time and time again, and I could see it coming long before it happened. Aside from that there are huge inconsistencies with the spirits abilities. I could barely take it seriously because of all this.

Yet another mediocre modern horror...
  27. Sep 3, 2013
    The eery feel of this film makes you want to think it's real. James Wan hit it out of the park with this film. There is nothing wrong about this movie you can't ask for more. No Blood, just a paranormal thriller/horror that leave you gasping for air
  28. Aug 31, 2013
    Very scary. I really enjoyed that psychological thriller and do not miss it!! I do not think though that the second chapter will be as good as the first one.
  29. Jul 27, 2013
    A genuinley terrifying movie. Very physcological and a few jumpscares. A very scary movie but although this doesn't give anything away I have spotted a plot hole about 2 thirds in the youngest and one other child aren't seen for the rest of the film. Still though very scary. Perfect for a scary sleepover.
  30. Jul 18, 2013
    This was one creepy film! Definitely up there as one of the scariest films I've seen thanks to being so damn jumpy, but the concept is just great as young Dalton falls into a coma when he is captured by evil spirits. There are so many subtle things in this movie that make it perfect, and so many scares along the way that are just so damn freaky! It's a Horror fans favourite type of film and I'd find it hard to find someone that loves Horror that hates this film. Highly recommend this one! Expand
  31. Jul 3, 2013
    Solid acting and while it had a generic supernatural plot to it, I still found Insidious at least some-what enjoyable to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
  32. May 5, 2013
    This movie is truly scary as sh*t. I am not a horror film buff at all, just a casual watcher. The film uses sudden loud noises to make you truly scream OH SH*T. There are a variety of pop-ups accompanied by loud noises that really freak you out. Usually you know it's coming by the tension build up and suspense, but a casual viewer will still be scared. Great film to watch with friends, but I can't say I would dare to watch it alone, in the dark. Expand
  33. Apr 23, 2013
    Oh boy when I first saw a preview the one that kept going "Insidious Is" I was like interesting definintly looks better then many many many horror movies. Then I saw another one that went "From the creators of Paranormal Activity and Saw". Thats my reaction I was like "This better not have a bunch of random trash happening or uneseccary things happening". That quickly changed I watched it thinking "This was creepy and scary (even though I was scared but my girlfriend surly was) and I didn't see a drop of blood" This was a good story. Now this is much better then the so-called American Horror Classic "Psycho". This INSIDIOUS should be the number one horror movie. If you think you can handle it watch it. Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2013
    A great scare flick that brings us back to the golden age of haunted house horror films with it's own twits.
    Writer Leigh Whannell and director James Wan do a spectacular job at creating a familiar yet original experience for viewers and generate some frightening memorable scares. Overall, Insidious is well written, directed, shot and acted, a great solid horror flick.
  35. Apr 16, 2013
    Creepy movie, but not over the top. Good movie if you're just starting to watch horror movies. Some pretty creepy parts, and interesting story mix for a good movie. 8 out of 10!
  36. Apr 14, 2013
    I have never seen a movie as creepy, freaky, and unnerving as this one. It is without a doubt one of the best ghost movies in existence. After I first watched it, I couldn't sleep very well for days. Do not under any
    circumstances let any child under the age of 12 see it or he/she will be scarred for life. I know I was.
  37. Apr 10, 2013
    Great suspense at the beginning, a generally good plot. However certain characteristics of the evil person make it less creepy. However it kept me hiding behind my duvet for certain areas.
  38. Apr 3, 2013
    Definitely a mixed bag.There are things in this movie that make me wonder if it's a serious attempt at a horror film or a parody of the genre. Either way it's enjoyable just to see where it goes next and I promise that as you start the movie, you would never guess the territory it goes into toward the end. XD
  39. Mar 17, 2013
    I had a good time watching it, but it wasn't too scary. I watched it in the dark on my own and only jumped slightly at one jump scare. It also got a bit slow at parts, but other than that, it was a fun watch.
  40. Mar 1, 2013
    "Insidious" is a horror movie about an average family haunted with supernatural forces that possess a natural tendency to open lots of doors and make funny noises. Most fans of this subgenre will praise it not because it is an excellent film, but because the ones that came before it are infinitely much worse. Have you seen "The Haunting in Connecticut"?

The unlucky family in this horror
    film is the five members of the Lambert family. Each of them is terrorized by a mysterious creature, but most unlucky is young Dalton, who is in a deep sleep and would not wake up. A doctor says that he isn't in a coma. A psychic claims that his spiritual body is trapped in another dimension she likes to call, The Further. Dalton's parents, Josh and Renai, are, to say the least, confused. Whether any of these explanations makes sense or not is not a major concern, because the story mainly serves as an opening to provide scares.

"Insidious" is conscious of the genre's obvious clichés, but it avoids some of them by conforming to an unhelpful, alternative idea that is soon to be a cliché itself. Characters living in haunted houses are often so traumatized by the ghouls that they forget about the possible action of, you know, leaving the house. The Lambert family makes the practical decision of abandoning their home early on in the film, only to have their efforts thwarted when they are told that it's not the house that's haunted, but their son. "Oooooooo". So, instead of one haunted house, we get two haunted houses.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/insidious-movie-review/
  41. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a weird movie, that jumps quickly between boring, mildly interesting, and ridiculously stupid. It's good for a couple of good scares in the beginning, but the movie quickly deteriorates from there. The big slogan was, it's not the house that's haunted, and it was compared to the exorcist, both couldn't be further from the truth. Without going into details, the story is just stupid. The special effects are laughable, and the acting is so-so. The kid, newcomer Ty Simpkins, was mildly entertaining and did do a nice job. The parents weren't too bad either, but the rest of the cast were just terrible, a perfect fit for a movie that is pure If it wasn't for a couple of scares and the fact that I was laughing at how stupid some of the parts were, this movie would have gotten zero. It's a complete and utter waste of time. Expand
  42. Jan 23, 2013
    Probably one of the scariest movies of all times. I had nightmares for weeks after watching this one. The imagery in Insidious is so unforgettable that it will stick with you for a very, very long time.
  43. Dec 7, 2012
    Loved it, an excellent piece of film-making. One of the best horror films I've seen in recent years, even for a film that's only PG-13 (don't let that fool you).
  44. Nov 30, 2012
    It is probably one of the few movies that really go into the depths of ghost haunting and the reasons why it occurs. I actually believed that it might be the first horror movie with a happy ending. Besides, the original story, the sound effects and the apparitions will try to make you jump off the seat more than one time.
  45. Nov 28, 2012
    I loved every minute of it although the lipstick-face demon was totally unrealistic but that just made the film funny. This film has been put in the genre Horror but in all honesty this film is hilarious; usually if a horror film is funny it makes it completely rubbish but Leigh Whannell (who also wrote saw) scripted this film very well and used a lot of talented actors (including himself), this film is intriguing and maintains my attention throughout but the one thing this film lacks is the jump factor as I didn't jump once, I would recommend this film to anyone over the age of 11, I think that any 13 year old or older will like this film as I was 13 when I watched it and I loved it. Expand
  46. Nov 7, 2012
    A devilish little haunted house film that it most frightening when there is nothing scary happening. The first hour of Insidious is bone chilling and though the plot is preposterous, it still slithers under your skin and spins around in your head until you just loose your **** and fall helplessly into its grasps.
  47. Oct 9, 2012
    This movie scared the absolute **** out of me. It was so bad that I had to turn on the lights at some points through out the movie. I had goosebumps so bad that the hair on my arms would stand up and wouldn't go back down until the movie was over. Ghosts freak me out and if they freak you out also I recommend this movie to you.
  48. Oct 6, 2012
    From the images floating around the internet, I had extremely high hopes for this one. What started out as a truly uneasy environment full of suspense and genuine fear, later turned into a finale that had me laughing at the very "monsters" themselves. The plot has been done a hundred time before, and some of the acting is a bit... "off". While the first hour is actually scary and uncomfortable to watch, it quickly goes from long, drawn out scenes of the protagonist walking through the house at night trying to find where all the noises keep coming from, to a "Hey audience!!! Look at this monster!!! It's so scary!! Be scared!!! WooOOOooo!!"

To be honest, if it had ended 30 minutes earlier than it did, it would have been a decent horror flick in itself, but the plot gets, for the lack of a better word, "cheesy", and feeble attempts at comic relief make it all the less frightful.

This is the kind of thing you watch with your friends, but start chit-chatting half way through the "scares".
  49. Sep 30, 2012
    Insidious seems as if it was split into two parts, each with a completely different director. Whilst the first half of the film builds up tension skillfully, providing a handfull of unsettling moments, the film is let down by a weak second half. What could have been a memorable horror experience dissolves into a bitter mix of jumpscares, action and rediculousness. Although the atmosphere remains impressive throughout. Expand
  50. Sep 27, 2012
    Overall, I thought this film was okay. I'm a fan of Rose Byrne, I think she's a hugely underrated actress and so I had high hopes for this film, but I was a little disappointed. Horror is my favourite and most watched genre and as such I didn't think that this film really offered up anything new. Firstly the good. Elements of this film were undoubtedly creepy. Certain aspects of the storyline were chilling and the overall concept was, I thought, quite original. In other words, it wasn't your typical 'haunted house' story where things go bump and people scream (but never seem to move house....), so for that I was grateful. Also, I think what ruins a lot of horror films is when someone does something that makes you think 'Well I wouldn't have done that' (like walking into a scary room without looking for a light, no one in the history of mankind has ever done that...) because that disconnects you from the action and makes you sit there with a slightly unimpressed look on your face at how stupid the person on screen seems to be. But this film didn't really have any of those moments, they all seemed to be fairly rational, sensible people making fairly rational, sensible decisions. That made the whole story better for me. !However! There came a point where that was no longer the case. What started off as a genuinely uncomfortable and creepy film turned into what I thought was a bit like a Michael Jackson 'Thriller' video out-take. I went from, 'well there goes any hope of me sleeping for the next ten years', to '....did that really just happen (insert appropriate unimpressed face here)' in the space of about 30 minutes. I felt like the plot got too ahead of itself and everyone went a bit CGI crazy. Elements were still scary, but I felt like the film started to rely too much on jump scares than actual, real terror moments. Anyone would jump if you made a loud noise and shoved a scary picture in their face, to me that isn't the same and just produces moments that are totally forgettable. So on the whole, I thought this film was okay. Parts were original, well thought out and outright creepy but the direction that the film went in let it down completely. A great film if you're with a friend and want to have a few scares but nothing I can see being remembered any time in the near future. Expand
  51. Sep 9, 2012
    Genuinely frightening film that really scared me. I've become desensitized to horror films, so I was shocked at how scary Insidious really is. Eerie, well acted, directed and written. A winner of a ghost story!
  52. Sep 4, 2012
    A surprisingly good haunted/possession movie. With how much generic crap is peddled out in this vein of cinema; I'm glad to see movies like this pop out every now and then. Would definitely recommend for a good scare!
  53. Jun 6, 2012
    This is the worst horror movie in a very long time. Just by watching the first 5 minutes, the whole plot becomes clear and nothing is a surprise. The movie was like a PG-13 episode of Scooby-Doo. All the moments where demons came at you were completely expected with no surprise of any kind. This s not even worth your time, this is not even worth a days renal. Even if you find if at the library, don't get it. Trust me, if you have to pick between Insidious, and Barney's Halloween party, pick Barney. Expand
  54. May 6, 2012
    Insidious is an excellent horror film for two reasons. One, the film has no blood or gore (which is typical of Wan's Saw films). Two, by employing the classic haunted house tale, its able to give the film a whole new twist when it throws a monkey wrench into the story.
  55. Apr 11, 2012
    Excellent by modern horror film standards, but as a ghost movie it lacks the performances from the actors required to make the events that take place that bit more believable. But all in all, a brilliant rip-off of Paranormal Activity that is sure to become one of the more worthwhile entries in the horror genre of recent years. The scares were effective but to my distaste were pretty much all jump scares, a technique that I feel is very overused and cliche. To make a horror film work, in my eyes, the main components needed are tone, mood and above all atmosphere. This film packs plenty of those but they become less effective because of the damn jump scares. Far more intelligently creepy scenes could have been thought of. Expand
  56. Apr 4, 2012
    I loved it! I am usually a harsh judge and I profoundly dislike cheesy horror movies, neither do I enjoy too much-unnecessary- gore, abuse of special effects, or/and bad performances. Here, however, I found all the ingredients needed for a movie to be considered -in my opinion- outstanding. There were indeed, many ghosts, but their presence was used smartly. The only flaw I find is the part of 'comedy' they introduced when the two ghostbusters first appeared in scene. The initial interactions of those two characters were silly; henceforth, their performances felt fake. In fact, It sort of changed the feeling of the movie, they just didn't fit there. Fortunately, the movie quickly recovered its obscure nature, and went back to its initial pace; this allowed the actors who played the ghostbusters to improve their performances. Still, is precisely that randomness what stops me from giving to this film a score of 10 - but, it is arguably a solid 9. I wish the director didn't make that mistake, so we would have had a formidable movie. Just want to add that to me, the ending was magnificent, however; I acknowledge that as some have already pointed out, it raises a few questions...which I would like to see answered in an Insidious 2 movie. Yet, I sort of like the fact that the 'happy ending' was not quite there, I mean clear. Overall, this is one of the best horror movies I have watched even though it is not overly scary. Still, I adore it..and I am going to buy the dvd for sure! What is the secret of this film? It has a clever plot, good performances and the movie as a whole has style! Watch it! Do not let the score or negative comments found here to stop you from doing that! I know if you see this movie you won't regret it! Don't let other people's negativism to influence you negatively for you are the one who has to decide!..without bias! Expand
  57. Feb 11, 2012
    As far as horror movies go recently, Insidious is top notch. It is the only movie to make me jump and give me chills in years. The chills came the first time i saw it in theaters during the scene when the red demon face shows up behind the husband, HOLY SH*T! In these times of three Paranormal Activity's that didn't scare one ounce of me, Insidious is a very effective horror film.
  58. Dec 23, 2011
    It is easily one of the scariest movies I have ever seen in my life, but it features weak performances and just a weak premise and to add that a really questionable ending. I give this movie 59%.
  59. Dec 14, 2011
    While it is no horror masterpiece, "Insidious" is very entertaining and engaging. The thing that stuck out to me the most was some really beautiful cinematography, which I am not used to seeing in horror films. Kudos need to be given to the cinematographer and director of the film - very beautiful shots. Having beautiful cinematography and thrills and scares is not quite enough to have a very good film, though. There are some things in the film that just make no sense, and are definite loop-holes that the director and screenplay writers missed. The acting is not necessarily the best - the dialogue, especially, feels rather artificial at times, especially when the wife and husband talk. Nonetheless, I have enjoyed the film quite a lot because of an interesting story (despite the holes in it), beautiful cinematography, and some good scary scenes! 6/10 Expand
  60. Dec 13, 2011
    The ghosts in "Insidious" are not the "Paranormal Activity" kind where you rarely ever see them. These ghosts definitely make their presences known by running through hallways and wearing really creepy costumes. They're like a combination between the ghosts in "Carnival of Souls" and "The Shining." Because of this, "Insidious" might not be for everyone. But if you dig old-school horror films, you're in for a treat. James Wan takes his haunted house style of horror and runs with it. His film never lets up on movie atmospherics, and at times, it is truly terrifying. But with that said, the movie does get a little too hokey at times, and the characters aren't all that compelling aside from Lin Shaye as the psychic. But if you want to see a horror film that offers something different, check out "Insidious". Whether you laugh the whole time or you're scare straight from it; "Insidious" delivers the goods. Expand
  61. Dec 12, 2011
    Directed by a gifted director, Wan gives us an instant classic of modern horror! I am great fun of horror movies and i really loved this one! This movie has a great atmosphere and it will keep you on the edge.
  62. Dec 5, 2011
    this film is amazing, it was so scary i papped my self all the way through with scenes that were so smart and not only did it show scary scenes at night but also in daylight which i don't normally see in horror films was scared me even more. you don't know how it's going to end with a man entering some weird place where the devil lives. one of the most scary films i have ever seen. 9/10
  63. Dec 3, 2011
    Good to see a genuinly scary movie that didn't had to revert to use gore as a shock tactic. Watching a movie a second time will also allow you to pick up subtle bits and pieces that you may have missed the first time. For instance I saw a boy standing in the corner of the camera shot as one of the protagonists walked past that I didn't see the first time round and it scared the bejesus out of me. Like most scary movies the budget doesn't seem to be out of this world and the final few scenes look a tad corny. But overall very scary movi Expand
  64. Nov 15, 2011
    Definitely a must watch as Insidious goes "boss hogging" through Horror Street. The storyline itself is redundant, but Insidious does it its job right by frightening us pretty good. The horror genre hasn't been able to evolve, but Insidious came inches to it.
  65. Nov 14, 2011
    The movie itself is okay, but I give it credit for managing to get me scared, however seeing the main villain leaves me to believe to lack of creativity it has; Mixing Darth Maul and Freddy Kruger seems oddly not scary to me.
  66. Nov 6, 2011
    INSIDIOUS is a fun, creepy, funny and entertaining ghost film that is way better than Paranormal Activity.
  67. Oct 30, 2011
    This is a superb horror film. James wan makes fims that have familiar elements from the genre but he gives them a unique flavour with the use of harsh, punchy string music to accompany the shocks and some brilliantly imaginative imagery. the horror in this film is subtle at times and then very intense at others. James Wan is an inspired director that doesn't hold back. You're either gonna accept his vision and feel the terror, or reject it - at which point it becomes comedic, hence some of the low scores. For me he's a true auteur, up there with Argento. I love old school horror, and this delivers for me. Expand
  68. Oct 28, 2011
    Very scary, and a really good story, I thought. To be honest, I could've done without the Egon Spengler characters and Insidious 2 is clearly signposted, but it was a great, creepy movie.
  69. Oct 18, 2011
    I have seen lots of horror movies, and many scary ones. This movie is scary, but not mainly bu the theme as much. More by the random pop ups, that don't seem to fit in at the right time. They seem to appear out of nowhere and at bad points in the film. It doesn't have the best storyline ever, and the plot is a bit weak at parts. The movie seems to go off subject a lot too. However, it is a good movie. But not the best horror out there. Though it will scare you! Expand
  70. Oct 17, 2011
    Insidious lacks the creepy feeling after the first half of the film and the big finish seems to be a bit predictable but it is still a very entertaining haunted house film that delivers fun and jumps. Insidious pushes those cliché horror films off the cliff.
  71. Oct 1, 2011
    Insidiouse was a great movie. Scarery as hell. Literelly. I was in the movie theater watching it with my dad and he even scremed like a girl. It was hillariouse. I love my dad. What the hell is up with how scarehy they made this movie? After you have seen it once though it is not as f-ing scarey. What the hell is up with that? Ok well I have to go.
  72. Sep 27, 2011
    INSIDIOUS is a fun, scary and creepy haunted house flick that doesn't fail to scare and entertain. The atmosphere is great and it's scary moments are...well, scary. It's the scariest film I've seen in a while.
  73. Sep 25, 2011
    The movie "Insidious", directed by the infamous James Wan, is a surprisingly scary movie full of chills and creeps. Its a good film that will definitely cool you down in the hot summer with its scares.
  74. Aug 30, 2011
    Ha! I don't think this was intended as a belly-laugh comedy, but the second half of the film had me doubled up.
    First half is your by the numbers Paranormal Activity style disposable horror flick. Then it gets on to a scene where the 'woman who speaks to dead people' character starts to spell out what's actually going on. The male lead then spouts lines that were going through my head and
    acknowledges how ridiculous the plot is. I expected all the actors to agree with him and suddenly walk off set, but they carry on regardless and take the film on towards it's comedy final act.
    1 point for the comedic value, but don't go out of your way to experience it for yourself. This is just a bad student film with a big budget.
    Although on balance, I did watch this in the company of two other viewers and they found it genuinely terrifying. The only thing that spoiled it for them was my running commentary of sarcastic remarks...and laughter.
  75. Aug 24, 2011
    LOVED THIS! For a modern day horror movie, this is as good as they get! Unique story and the best part is that it is a very "physical" interpretation of ghosts and spirits. You actually see them throughout the movie instead of the occasional moving curtain, bump in the night, etc. Loved the idea. The ending was a tiny bit disappointing, but still was a great movie overall. Oh and the song in the movie makes it so much creepier!!! Expand
  76. Aug 23, 2011
    The Amityville Horror Starring Darth Maul! by D Veeb (Aug 23, 2011)
    This is the second time I've fallen victim to the line "scariest film since The Exorcist!" (the first was that awful piece of dreck "The Blair Witch Project") At any rate, this film would probably be entertaining to you if you're 13 years old and are talking or texting through the film as any notion of cohesive
    storytelling has clearly been put on the back burner in favor of standard issue horror film "gotcha" moments. In fact, this film is so cliche´ that I truly expected to see a pig coming through the bedroom window (Amityville Horror). The film has some startling moments, and a few somewhat decent visuals, but the script, acting, and directing are really sub-par. The kid clearly falls off the ladder and hits the back of his head. In the next scene, he's got a big shiner on his forehead above his eye! Gimme a break! And the music and sound effects were so over-the-top, hitting you over the head with "THIS IS SCARRY!" slams. Plus...the demon bears a striking resemblance to Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace! Really?!?! Do yourself a favor, skip this mess! Expand
  77. Aug 23, 2011
    Ne pas voir Insidious comme un film d'auteur, tellement le scénario n'est pas du tout à la hauteur, qui pioche sur bon nombre de ses "rivaux" (Paranormal Activity, L'Exorciste, Les Griffes de la Nuit entre autre...), à la fin grand-guignolesque, usant même d'une touche comique (l'arrivée d'un duo de ghostbusters...). C'est donc pour le côté épouvante qu'Insidious se montre très efficace (malgré les violons qui grincent sans arrêt), mis en scène avec savoir-faire pour créer une ambiance pesante et des séquences plutôt effrayantes. Et tout ça pour seulement 1,5 millions de dollars de budget! Loin d'être un modèle, mais suffisant pour les âmes sensibles. Vu le succès, attendez-vous à une suite! Expand
  78. Aug 17, 2011
    This movie was like a rollercoaster. It started off amazing, and just kept getting better and better. It was packed with suspense and kept you on the edge of your seat. Until... you saw the "monster" in this movie. after that, it began to go downhill incredibly fast. I mean, it just got stupid and cheesy after that. However, the ending was shocking and surprising and perhaps the best part of the movie. The movie was essentially good except it was quite rushed and the acting wasn't terrific. It didn't compare to some of the director's other movies such as Saw and Paranormal Activity. Expand
  79. Aug 11, 2011
    I got this movie with the hope of being scared out of my mind. I was actually scared to watch it after hearing the comments coming from my friends. But I manned up and watched it, alone, by myself. And honestly, I am not as scared as I thought I would be. Most of the parts were scary and made me close my eyes, but most important parts that were supposed to scare me didn't. And these were parts that could have been shot better. But all in all, it had an awesome storyline. Loved the ending (although it was a bit obvious - but definitely managed to shock me for a while) and for sure, this is a movie I would recommend to watch. :) Expand
  80. Aug 8, 2011
    Overall definitely lacks in parts that it could have been creepy , some of the acting feels low budget. Even with all this disappointing flaws , it makes nice triumphs .
  81. Aug 4, 2011
    The movie totally looses itself in caricature and satire of the genre poorly developed after more than a hour projection with the film allegedly trying to look serious, and then descends toward the ridiculous. Quite poorly drafted, lost, silly. An attempt to look like Poltergeist, and when they realized that it wouldnâ
  82. dz9
    Aug 2, 2011
    OMG, this movie let me down. After hearing its praises, and as a huge horror movie fan. I couldn't wait to see this, and the first half of the movie met and went beyond my expectations. But this was just the first half, the second half contradicts the plot of the movie and makes the whole concept ridiculous. The first half of the movie is an excellent movie about a haunting, whereas the second half is a paranormal search into the ghost's world. Without giving anything away, I want to give you an example of how much this plot contradicts and stretches the movie's plot. Imagine your watching 'The Notebook' and midway through the movie, it turns into 'Mortal Kombat,' pretty drastic change in pacing and plot right?? Well that's what Insidious felt like. The Good: The first half of the movie delivers scares and creeps, movie has a great spooky environment, decent enough acting (nothing to brag about). The Bad: Unnecessary plot twist which blew the simple but effective concept way out of proportion, and plot holes. The first half of this film was amazing, a definite 10, but it just went on a downward's spiral from there Expand
  83. Aug 2, 2011
    This movie was messed up and had some disturbing scenes. It was a good and I have heard of the plot of the movie happening before so it was easy to accept for me. It was entertaining to watch and I could watch it again.
  84. Aug 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. por favor agan caso omiso de los detractores de esta gran pelicula de terror, en años , el cine americano no a tenido una pelicula de terror/horror que lo represente y adivinen que,.. insidious, la noche del demonio ( su nombre en español) lo es,.. no esta abarrotada con efectos especiales, su historia es envolvente desde un inicio, aunque debo aceptar, que se vuelve al estrepitosa para el final, las interpretaciones cumplen con su cometido, y la bien desarrollada narrativa solo te mantiene comiendote las uñas hasta el final. Pero lo que se lleva los aplausos son la vibra que el hambiente de la pelicula te transmite, una mezcla de los sustos clasicos de los 80 con lo nuevo del siglo 21, simplemente maravilloso, se los juro, el demonino con fuego en la cara es la criatura mas terrorifica que e visto en años, y eso gracias a que no se exedieron con tanto efecto estupido al que hollywood esta tan acostumbrado. El dream team del horro americano hizo un sublime trabajo, del cual me siento muy orgulloso. Esperen a que sean las 3 de la mañana, apaguen las lices, suban todo el volumen de su teatro en casa y disfruten de lo que puede ser el espectaculo de horror mas sabroso e ingenioso desde la primera parte del exorcista. Expand
  85. Jul 27, 2011
    I saw this in theaters and thought it was amazing. The story is original and their are some terrifying scenes. Recently though, I saw it on DVD and I have to say it's not that great. The story is great. It's original, but there are some major flaws. I couldn't understand the father's actions in the second act. The third act was probably the worst part. I liked the beginning of his trip to find his son, but he was asking to be caught by the ghosts. It didn't make any sense. I'd love to read the screenplay because I believe that it may have been better on paper. Problem is that I can't find it! Expand
  86. Jul 27, 2011
    I've not seen many movies as dumb as Insidious in my entire life. That MAY be an exaggeration, considering all the positive things I heard about it, but that doesn't make all that much of a difference.

The movie was predictable, insipid, and silly and just really shoddily done. The acting is atrocious from most of the cast, especially the father. It's as if the writers pulled together
    several hundred ghostly anecdotes, scary pictures that have been floating around the internet for years, horror story tropes, etc. and somehow created a movie out of it.

The only aspect of the movie that I CAN respect is something that I just complained about: It is silly, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. There are some things included that aren't in every horror story such as the "tip-toe through the tulips" theme song (those who have seen it know what I mean) and the two paranormal detectives and their gadgets. Those were the only parts even slightly entertaining or enjoyable.

Rental, at best, if there's absolutely nothing else on netflix or redbox you're interested in.
  87. Jul 26, 2011
    In these environmentally conscious times, I can only applaud the production team for making the most of two unfinished movies and editing them together to be released as one. The first part of the film goes through all the standard horror elements that you've seen before with a few individual twists, where all of the three or four moments of scaring you rely on things jumping or running into frame. After that, where the second film takes over for the laughs, we have five solid minutes of exposition which I defy you to sit through with a straight face and say "oh so THAT'S what's going on!" You'll be pleased to know that Darth Maul gets reused in this film as one of the several bad guys who get thrown at you, and Insidious also has the best use of a WWII gas mask that I've ever seen in a modern comedy. And whoever the guy is in Hollywood who gets to push those kitchen drawers out, he gets another credit on his CV thanks to this one. Anyway, I'll be back in a second - I'm just off to astral project into the future to see the Jim Carrey remake. WoooOOOOooooOOOOOooOOOH! Expand
  88. Jul 25, 2011
    I think people are too busy acting all brave and hard when watching a horror movie that they can't possibly enjoy it. This movie was at least a very decent horror flick. The plot and ending were well constructed, and there were plenty of scary/creepy scenes. It had a lasting effect on me to the point that I was a bit uneasy at night, but that's about it. The entities found throughout the movie are a bit creepy, but I'd say that they're not really scary. Over all, this movie was good even though it stumbled throughout the first hour. Expand
  89. Jul 25, 2011
    Absolutely solid horror film. The horror movie genre is a very "hit or miss" catergorie and with this one, they "Hit." If you have the chance give this one a look. I would describe this one like a mix of Poltergeist and Paranormal Activity (The first one). Some parts were kind of goofy which is why I dropped it down from an 8 to a 7 but still solid. Paranormal ingenuity is were this one lands with a fresh idea not yet used in any movie thus far. Give this one a chance if you are into horror flicks. 7/10. Expand
  90. Jul 25, 2011
    I'll admit- I saw this movie with LOW expectations. I didn't expect to like it at all. Now that this has been said:

The first parts of the film were a bit rushed. Within twenty minutes, we have a "Three Months Later" card. Despite this, there were some genuinely creepy moments, with some good atmosphere and even a bit of tension. Still, these moments lacked any central focus, and
    generally felt unconnected and confusing. (Which may have been interesting if not for certain things that I'll mention later...)

By the second third of the movie, things REALLY went downhill. We are introduced to several characters in a short time (including a priest who has all of ONE line, if I remember correctly.) and rather quickly given an elaborate pseudoscience explanation for the issues at hand. (What's great about this is it turns the remainder of the film into flat-out comedy!) Things get very silly by the end, but the film doesn't seem to notice, treating even the most preposterous things as if they actually had the possibility of scaring people.

In its entirety, "Insidious" feels contrived, pretentious, and rushed.

To conclude: If you watch this for the horror, you will be sorely disappointed. If you watch it for the horrifying monsters who enjoy the musical stylings of Tiny Tim, you'll be one happy astral projector.
  91. Jul 23, 2011
    Insidious is a brilliant film. The story is enjoyable to learn, the actors did a great performance for their characters and the scares work in this film. When i heard the saw & paranormal activity producers were working on the film i had mix feelings about the film before i saw it but i was very impressed of what ive seen. There were two or three scenes that made me jump and i usually dont jump in horror films so this did a great job. Plus this is also a very creepy film. I would give this film a full price. Expand
  92. Jul 14, 2011
    Insidious is a modern day portal of the Haunted House Movie. It's nothing we haven't seen before. Sprits linger around and everyone freaks out trying to save a young kid. It's really that simple. There are a few complex twists and turns but it's no wonder that the producer of Paranormal Activity would produce another film just like it. (Arn't the sequels enough to punish us with?) I will give credit where credit is due, but only where credit is due. Insidious did something that must horror films of today cannot, it made me jump. That's all it did though. For the first time sense The House of the Devil back in 2009 I felt scared watching a film. It surprised me at first and I was taken into the story line. However, the last forty minutes of this film were so random, out there and completely ridiculous that I could no longer enjoy the film. I sat through the last twenty minutes begging for it to just be over. James Wan the director of Saw has swam in the glory of the franchise ever since it launched his career in 2004, but after his last failed attempt with Dead Silence back in 2007 did any of us really expect anything more from James Wan with Insidious. Sure he successfully got Oren Peli to produce the film but after the success of Paranormal Activity this guy has been throwing himself at everything horror. The simple conclusion is that the names advertised with this film are a bunch of one hit wonders. The film was as cheesy as they come with a dumb down completely ridiculous story line. I could hardly even bare watching the last twenty minutes. However, for the first time in almost two years I was scared. It made me jump and if that's the only reason that you watch horror movies then this film is for you. That's all it's going to do though, it will just make you jump. Insidious is a film for the hardcore horror fans the love films like poltergeist. Everyone else this film is TRASH Expand
  93. Jul 14, 2011
    The movie was great I had chills during most of the movie. It had a great ending to I never expected the what happen. The director did a good job on this movie.
  94. Jul 13, 2011
    This movie is a modern masterpiece. The first horror movie that has had this much of an effect on me in a long time. It has all the perfect elements to create a movie that will have you thinking about it when you are in the dark.
  95. Jul 10, 2011
    Amazing horror movie ! I can't remember the last time a movie scared the sh*t out of me. The third-person angle of the camera (similar to the game Resident Evil 4 & 5) puts you in a anything-can-happen perspective. This motion picture brings you something new and, mostly, something good in the horror genre. A genre who, I personally think, got over-abused and lost his essence.
  96. Jun 30, 2011
    I was expecting a lot from this movie. I read about it in Fangoria, I read the praising reviews and I figured it was from the same team that started the SAW franchise, which was back then with SAW I very fresh.
    Over the first say half of the movie I thought my expectations were met. Insidious indeed delivered several chilling moments and a general malicious atmosphere. The pace is quicker
    than for example with Paranormal Activity while still not making it feel the ghostly moments are rushed.
    But then with the second half starting the movie sadly spirals down to a below average Poltergeist clone.
    What started as an almost perfect haunted house story quickly degrades into a badly executed dark fairy tale which from the concept might be able to scare a 10 year old, but is just boring for anyone who has seen more than 5 good horror movies of this sub-genre. Well, to be precise the last third is not only boring but also annoying since everything feels so cheap and rushed.
    What a waste of potential.
  97. Jun 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love this movie because everyone thought probably that it was a Haunted house but it was about Demon things and it was very Good :) And i want a second of this movie because it was so good :) it scared so much :) Expand
  98. Jun 6, 2011
    It had its moment of paranormal. Beside that it wasnt nothing to die for. You can go see, but it wouldnt really worth while. Ehhhh. The movie makes you scared but its nothing like the movies Paranormal Activity producers made in the beginning. (Paranormal Activity 1,2)
  99. Jun 4, 2011
    Ok first things first. This is not a 'serious' horror movie; it's suppose to be tongue-in-cheek and it has a really quirky atmosphere (and sometimes even silly). It starts off as a standard haunted house flick but then devolves into an increasingly ridiculous B-movie romp with demons chasing people, and ghosts appearing all over the show. It definitely struggles with consistency, and by the end you will be like seriously WTF!? BUT its quirkiness definitely plays into its strengths and it does manage to keep you watching till the end (just about). If you have a light heart and dont go into this thinking you're going to be scared out of your minds, then its worth the watch. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 3, 2011
    If there's a complaint to be made about Insidious, it's that the film's second half is unable to live up to the impossibly high standards set by the first half.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 1, 2011
    It feels more like a poor man's "Poltergeist, " minus the static-filled TV.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Neumaier
    Apr 1, 2011
    Insidious doesn't feature the lazy, home-video-style terror of "Paranormal Activity," thankfully. But it's also pretty normal activity for a ghost story.