Paramount Vantage | Release Date: September 21, 2007
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 380 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Wheaty-LeavesSep 30, 2016
The film did well in many areas, the story was brilliant and a lot of the cinematography was extremely good. The ideology that the film explores was both interesting and thought provoking. What fell short for me in this film was the acting,The film did well in many areas, the story was brilliant and a lot of the cinematography was extremely good. The ideology that the film explores was both interesting and thought provoking. What fell short for me in this film was the acting, when the characters talked to each other it felt unnatural and forced. Thankfully this was only a small part of the film and it wasn't something that I minded too much. Expand
greatjumel08Aug 5, 2016
Excellent movie. One of the best movies I've watched. This is the true adventure of a man whose perspectives in life is different from the others. In today's generation where greed, power, wealth define a person, He is an exception. HisExcellent movie. One of the best movies I've watched. This is the true adventure of a man whose perspectives in life is different from the others. In today's generation where greed, power, wealth define a person, He is an exception. His adventure into the wild portrays about love, risk, doubts, but most of all his eagerness to know himself. The moment this man started his adventure, he became a blank of paper, a baby who has no knowledge about everything, about himself. During the adventure to the unknown, he started to learn stuffs that money cannot buy. He learned how to laugh, to enjoy all by himself. At the end, His experiences in the wild brought him wisdom not only to the nature but most especially to himself. By having this wisdom, he himself knew he did too much, he made mistakes in the past. But his bravery and his adventure into the wild leaves inspiration to every lost man alive. Expand
choomtabi31May 31, 2016
Deeply spiritual movie. Really, it's pretty much a masterpiece. Especially given how loud and constantly in motion most modern movies are today.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-602-Into-the-Wild
raykDec 4, 2015
Forget the map, the trail was a couple hundred feet away. He was camped in a bus (some "wilderness" if somebody drove a bus to it?) 250 feet away from the trail between 2 towns (that the bus driver had used). Oh...and don't forget the highwayForget the map, the trail was a couple hundred feet away. He was camped in a bus (some "wilderness" if somebody drove a bus to it?) 250 feet away from the trail between 2 towns (that the bus driver had used). Oh...and don't forget the highway nearby. I call it "Wilderness story in a can"...(or a bus). Might as well have been living beneath an underpass.

Or maybe it could have been written about Micky Mouse and Pluto "In the Wild". There was obviously no way to interview the dead man, so the stories of the trip that the author used were just a few scraps of information, mixed in a big bowl of his personal imagination.

Trust me Jon, there are plenty of places to go in Alaska where none have been before. I have been to some of them in the real Alaskan wilderness. Save your stories for those real people that had no choices, not those that chose to kill themselves on purpose.

The sad part is the book is just a contrived story to sell books and the movie is just a contrived story to sell movie tickets. Great story if you like people to make up stories for you.
edpoopstuffJul 13, 2015
first watching this movie I was trying to get used to the characters, it was really slow paced, ill admit I was a little bored but events during the middle how it explains things from different ends and also feeling what that guy is feelingfirst watching this movie I was trying to get used to the characters, it was really slow paced, ill admit I was a little bored but events during the middle how it explains things from different ends and also feeling what that guy is feeling kept me going and then the ending just broke me. also there were some moments were you could really feel the characters in the story I also enjoyed that Expand
ashen12Jul 11, 2015
It's about a boy who disappointed and can't find his place on society. Runaway to the wild is the choice that he made.
Hirsch acting helped me imagine emotions that Chris/ Alex felt.
Overall, it has a good actors/actresses, beautifull
Hirsch acting helped me imagine emotions that Chris/ Alex felt.
Overall, it has a good actors/actresses, beautifull scenery and music. Worth to watch.
oDjentoJan 29, 2015
This film is great and i love the overall message, tone and effectiveness of the film - but i cannot help but find this film gets so messy at some points. This acting varies from being great to below average from scene to scene, and theThis film is great and i love the overall message, tone and effectiveness of the film - but i cannot help but find this film gets so messy at some points. This acting varies from being great to below average from scene to scene, and the directing can go from being wonderous specatcles and delicate character followings to just feeling like an artsy college student film project. However, the main thing that brings this film up for me is how genuinely inspirational it is, and i loves it for that. Overall a fine job and i'd recommend it for people to watch to see if it inspires and enlightens a few people on how their perspective of their life should be. I know that after watching this i actually want to take a few months out and spend it alone in the wilderness somewhere, and i intend to do it in a few years time. Expand
root_Nov 30, 2014
Beautifully executed by Sean Penn ,great work ,great soundtrack , definitely going for the book.

one song dedicated to Christopher McCandless / Alexander Supertramp

*Alexi Murdoch - All My Days.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
Into the Wild a cinematic adventure that has never quite been achieved before. We are taken through the wilderness with an above-average Emile Hirsch.
FranzHcriticJun 7, 2014
Visually stunning-excellent cinematography-with a well written screenplay and beautiful direction from Sean Penn, 'Into the Wild' has some of the finer essences of film technique, the subtle yet powerful acting simply one trait of the film'sVisually stunning-excellent cinematography-with a well written screenplay and beautiful direction from Sean Penn, 'Into the Wild' has some of the finer essences of film technique, the subtle yet powerful acting simply one trait of the film's persuasion of life and how we should live it. Not in the literal meaning of course; I would never do what McCandless did, even if I was mad at my parents. Expand
Jerseylicious88May 13, 2014
Into the Wild is a great, great movie. It had great acting and a great score. And I love how the atmosphere starts out lively and free but slowly starts to feel lonely and isolated. It's an outstanding movie and I would highly recommend it, 7/8.
FishynmnMar 29, 2014
Into the Wild is a beautiful movie based on a true story about a young man's search for beauty and purpose. The scenery is breathtaking and while some may find the pace slow, I found it to be perfect. Besides being a masterpiece in modernInto the Wild is a beautiful movie based on a true story about a young man's search for beauty and purpose. The scenery is breathtaking and while some may find the pace slow, I found it to be perfect. Besides being a masterpiece in modern film making, Into the Wild truly captures the beauty of the outdoors and the depth of the human soul. My personal favorite movie, though not all will adore this movie as much as I. Expand
kev_i_nMar 1, 2014
Brief Review (I haven’t read the book, so this I based solely on the film)
+Brilliant Photography
+Decent acting at points that make the film interesting at points +Great ending (wouldn’t spoiler for you) -I found the story to be boring,
Brief Review (I haven’t read the book, so this I based solely on the film)
+Brilliant Photography
+Decent acting at points that make the film interesting at points
+Great ending (wouldn’t spoiler for you)
-I found the story to be boring, predictable and pointless.
-Way to long I wanted to end
-The dialogue was simplistic at best and dull at worst
-The film fails to pull at your heart strings even at points when you are clearly meant to care

The film can be summed up with one word, boring. It is not an awful film, but it never goes beyond 2nd gear. Ultimately I would I have preferred it if it was filmed like a documentary, which would have made greater impact. As a result I wanted it to end, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

Full Review
The first thing you notice about the film is that is positive, is that the photography and setting as very interesting, and well filmed. Having said that once you begin to appreciate the plot, you realise this isn’t surprise, given the fact that the story is basically a journey across America, so great landmarks, like the Hoover Dam, are not too surprising after the first 30 minutes of the films.

Surprisingly at points there are decent pieces of acting, in particularly the ending, and sign of suffering of Christopher (main character). Likewise Chris’ parents do predict a decent level of emotion, without being seen as over-acting. However, for me, the best piece of acting was performed by Kristen Stewart. This is not because Kristen is by any means a decent actress, or depicts any sense of believable emotions, but it is simply because she is so bad playing the emotional under-age teenage girl, who wants sex. Such appealing acting by Kristen Stewart for me was one of the only bits of the film I can remember, simply because of how bad her performance is. (I watched the film literally an hour ago from writing this review). As a result for me the acting was substantial, but you know it is bad when the highlight of a film is Kristen Stewart.

For me the best bit of the film is the ending. I won’t spoil it, but basically it is unexpected, and one that is very well depicted, displaying the innocence of Christopher as a character, just wanting to live life free from the restraints of conventionality.

However for me this is by no means a good film. The main problem for me was the story. It depicts the story of Christopher, who wants to live life free of society, and ends up in his dream land of Alaska, with flash backs depicting the journey Christopher takes. For me it was such a boring story simply because the fact that you see him make it too Alaska which therefore makes the flashbacks for me pointless, because you know any situation Christopher ends up in, he will be fine. As a result for me the flashbacks, feel more like padding than anything else. In particularly his journey to Mexico, when he wants to go to Alaska seems like a waste of time. While they try and make it more interesting and possibly spiritual by having Christopher justify his life through quotations from books, it ultimately becomes pointless. As a result I wanted this 2 and a half hour film to end. The point here is that you could reduce the film time till about 1 hour and it wouldn’t make any difference.
The second thing you will notice about the characters within the film is that the dialogue is too simplistic. This can be seen by how the characters that Christopher encounters, seem to have really restrictive dialogue meaning no matter how good their performances are, their depictions feel limited at best. Such limited dialogue is made worse by how Christopher seems like someone you admire, but not too likeable, yet nearly every character he meets seem to view him as some kind of god like figure, with one character wanting to adopt him, even though he only knew him for a very limited period of time. The combination of forgettable and unconvincing dialogue, in combination with a dull story that was badly portrayed, for me killed any attempt the film tried to make to make you care about the characters etc.

Henceforth while I can see the appeal of the film, I certainly don’t think it is worth all the praise it gets. It is not that the film is awful, but the high levels of potential with the film’s story, in combination with the film’s constant mediocrity, make this film ultimately forgettable and a film with almost no charm. Whereas bad films can be interestingly bad, this film, for me, is just boring. As a result I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
sidj96Feb 12, 2014
Great movie (y)
googolendtimesJan 3, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mesmeric adaptation of Jon Krakauer's fine non-fiction book of the same name, "Into the Wild" is directed by Sean Penn, who also penned (pun intended) its screenplay, about adventurer Christopher McCandless and his travels across America under the moniker "Alexander Supertramp", culminating in his death in the Alaskan wilderness.

While it may run a tad overlong, "Into the Wild" is nonetheless a soaring masterwork of survival drama, expansive and epic: simultaneously an illumination of nature's beauty and a harsh evocation of its cruelty. It is also richly, deeply human, unbinding McCandless' multi-faceted character and poignantly showing the lasting effect on those he left behind. The acting in "Into the Wild" is a fine assembly of performances, particularly William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden, who are brief but brilliant in their wrenching portraits of Supertramp's parents, and Hal Holbrook, whose sensitive portrait of an elder man whom McCandless befriends is even more heartrending in retrospect, as you realize just how deeply McCandless touched the lives of those he encountered on the road to his Alaskan Odyssey.

And Emile Hirsch as McCandless is fantastic, flawlessly embodying McCandless' earlier exuberance at being free to enact his fantasies of liberty in the wild, and then later his lonely, broken despair as he faces the onset of an emaciated, solitary death in the wild. McCandless' passing at the film's climax is such a raw, tragic scene, cemented by a moving hallucinated sayonara to his family.

Some accuse "Into the Wild" of romanticizing an foolish, inconsiderate whose fate was both pitiful and inevitable. I myself have conflicting views on McCandless. I'll leave you to make your own mind up about the man, but ultimately my feelings are aptly summarized by the American Film Institute: ""Into the Wild" celebrates the dreamer in all of us and the danger of dreaming alone."

Harrowing. Haunting. Unforgettable.

"Into the Wild" deserves to be seen.

Also, the book by Krakauer is great.
arminm1Sep 13, 2013
This is the best movie of 2007. Who cares whether or not it is faithful to the book. Judged on the merits of the movie only it deserves the highest rating
StevenFAug 22, 2013
There are many arguments, theories, stories and life lessons that surround the much divided opinion of Christopher McCandless, but as a film, Sean Penn has masterfully captured the essence and spirited nature of the young college student whoThere are many arguments, theories, stories and life lessons that surround the much divided opinion of Christopher McCandless, but as a film, Sean Penn has masterfully captured the essence and spirited nature of the young college student who gave up everything, or rather left it all behind. Penn, along with the captivating performance of Emile Hirsch, who portrays an individual who has all the answers yet doesn't seek to be questioned, many would say he was a spoilt kid who was proving a point, but its the relevance of his adventure that truly means the most, his impact on other peoples lives in the simplest form are inspirational and heartfelt.
Christopher drops everything, including contact with his family, and goes as far as he can with his car and then hits the road, with the intent of reaching Alaska, his dream, his ambition but something he believes is where he will find solitude. His interesting interactions along the way with Rainy (Brian Dieker) and Jan (Catherine Keener), free-spirited hippies who reject society and welcome Christopher, who now goes by the name of Alexander Supertramp, with open arms. He begins to take on various jobs to fund his lifestyle and restock his dwindling supplies, the wild can be a harsh place, something our young dreamer finds out in Alaska, for all the beauty that there is to behold, irony can hit hard in the most heartbreaking of ways.
Sean Penn, along with the masterful cinematography of Eric Gautier, who captures a landscape so beautiful, but out of control, they have created a film that is meant to reach out and pull you in, open your eyes and tell you a story that has many problems and character defects, but is ultimately an inspiring and engaging from start to finish, something that Emile Hirsch truly pours himself into, not showing a person who is running away, but a person who is free. He lives within the confines of his books, and we see various glimpses of his childhood, with a narration of the film from his sister (Jena Malone) who tells the viewer about her surprise at his lack of contact, something we do see the young man struggling with, but which he ultimately gives up on.
The film is a statement, it isn't a romanticism of a man who stumbles into the wild to prove something to other people, he is there to find his own bearings, and wished that others would do the same, Sean Penn takes a neutral stance in his film wherein we realise the mistakes that this young person made, but we also realise the meaning of it all, with the closing moments of the film showing some of the finest skill in film, combining an accomplishment with tragic consequences, nature will always be unforgiving, but a story like this is hard to ignore. There is certainly no denying that Christopher McCandless/Alexander Supertramp was a unique individual, and this charasmatic and wonderful film encapsulates this from his comfortable home to his broken down old bus.
boofAug 18, 2013
Mr Penn has given us an even handed view of a self centered upper middle class kid. He is attractive with a charming smile and an amorphous personality. What's not to like? So he's left his family and lives off charity. He is a nondescriptMr Penn has given us an even handed view of a self centered upper middle class kid. He is attractive with a charming smile and an amorphous personality. What's not to like? So he's left his family and lives off charity. He is a nondescript catalyst allows people to solve their problems by just being there and smiling. Fortunately he carked it. Otherwise he would have turned into another Messiah the same old same old leave your family, go to wilderness, meet nobodies and impress them, talk to invisible friends, start telling everyone they are wrong he jumped the gun there and was already doing this)....I wonder how many potential Messiahs have been dispatched through their own stupidity. Not enough. Expand
Enforcer122Jul 18, 2013
What an incredible story. I never would of thought this was a true story untill I actually did research in to it and realised that all of it is infact true. It's one of those rare films that ALL people should see because no matter who youWhat an incredible story. I never would of thought this was a true story untill I actually did research in to it and realised that all of it is infact true. It's one of those rare films that ALL people should see because no matter who you are, it'll have some form of positive impact on you. Brilliant summerization of things like happiness, freedom and materialism. Watch this film. Expand
chrisvbJul 2, 2013
Terrible, terrible movie, about a very dumb kid. They really attempt to romanticize this as some sort of existential journey, blah blah blah... Basically a rich kid gets bored when mommy and daddy don't pay him enough attention, and decidesTerrible, terrible movie, about a very dumb kid. They really attempt to romanticize this as some sort of existential journey, blah blah blah... Basically a rich kid gets bored when mommy and daddy don't pay him enough attention, and decides that in order to get more attention he will wander around aimlessly and squander the things he was given. Then even though everyone warns him not to, he goes out into the woods and dies of starvation. They really should have let this story whimper away and just use it as a cautionary tale. Nothing extraordinary here. Expand
Trev29Jun 9, 2013
A great story with some very beautiful shots and emotional scenes, but it is ultimately a bore that never seems to end. The movie could have played out much better if it wasn't for the endless screenplay.
csw12Apr 10, 2013
Movies are suppose to a form of entertainment through comedy, drama, romance, action and suspense and Into the Wild is only but a massive bore. I found more interest in watching a nature show on the Discovery Channel. Into the Wild is nothingMovies are suppose to a form of entertainment through comedy, drama, romance, action and suspense and Into the Wild is only but a massive bore. I found more interest in watching a nature show on the Discovery Channel. Into the Wild is nothing but a monotonous, self-centered, adolescent fable. Collapse
CrystopsyMar 10, 2013
The other day I took a chance on the film Into The Wild and I was absolutely blown away by how powerful it was. It depicts the real-life events of Christoper McCandless, who disposed of his cash, assets and personal belongings and spent twoThe other day I took a chance on the film Into The Wild and I was absolutely blown away by how powerful it was. It depicts the real-life events of Christoper McCandless, who disposed of his cash, assets and personal belongings and spent two years hiking around the American Southwest before heading to Alaska in search of a great adventure. This journey of self-discovery is both moving and inspiring on so many levels. Such an endeavour is often of no interest to anyone but the individual themself; however, this is a story that had to be told. In this day and age of motion pictures that overkill with CGI, have mundane plots, and no real heart, this film was a welcome breath of fresh air.

Director and adapter, Sean Penn, did a great job of transforming Jon Krakauer's words and depicting them onscreen. Yes, that's right, Sean Penn. I would have never thought I'd see him creating a screenplay so moving and heart-wrenching. This work is so far removed from anything I've personally seen him do in the past, but he did an exceptional job. He really focuses hard on the main character, Christoper McCandless, and the people he touches and inspires along his journey.

The movie can be a little slow-paced at times that's really the only negative aspect I took away from it but there's always something around the corner that lifts your spirits.

Anyway, I truly believe this is a film everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. I implore you to give it a shot.
Tss5078Feb 22, 2013
It was critically acclaimed, full of stars, and Academy nominated, but Into The Wild wasn't for me. The film is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless, a young man in search of true freedom. A recent college graduate, inspired byIt was critically acclaimed, full of stars, and Academy nominated, but Into The Wild wasn't for me. The film is based on the true story of Christopher McCandless, a young man in search of true freedom. A recent college graduate, inspired by naturalist literature, McCandless decided to travel to Alaska and live off the land. The film follows his journey, from college graduation and is an amazing story. Emile Hirsch gives an unbelievable performance as McCandless but was snubbed by the Academy. I suspect it was for the same reason I didn't like the film, it is unbelievably slow. The story and cast are amazing, but everything is so sedentary and precise, that you can barely sit through the thing! Some three hour plus films, don't feel anywhere near that long, that's how you know they're great. On the other hand, Into The Wild easily feels much longer than three hours and unfortunately doesn't do the story justice. Expand
sid12Nov 27, 2012
best movie i have ever seen, this movie made me cry and not just chris, but other things like ron's life made me more emotional
erick_vtkSep 5, 2012
Everyone should watching this film. Have a rich acting, direction, photography and a poetic tom, make you think about the little things, the simple life. Although he died, he said a phrase that make all sense: "happiness is full when is shared".
AdanedhelNov 25, 2011
I love the movie from the beginning with Eddie vedders music. the landscapes and the whole story of this young boy and his journey.
I think many of us who like going into the wild and run from the cities are going to love this movie.
Full of
Full of catharsis and wise advises
BelmsherAug 10, 2011
I've seen this movie 5 times and it always gets me crying. The plot surely isn't original but the performance of Emile is deeply moving and makes every person who might have thought about breaking away lose some sleep over the affair. One ofI've seen this movie 5 times and it always gets me crying. The plot surely isn't original but the performance of Emile is deeply moving and makes every person who might have thought about breaking away lose some sleep over the affair. One of the best movies ever. Oh, and beautiful scenery, unforgettable. Expand
marki-t_39Jul 3, 2011
This is one of those rare films which leaves a profound impact on you. The beauty of the landscape, the compelling acting from all, the terrific music and Penns great work in the director/writers chair make the film as engaging as can be. ItThis is one of those rare films which leaves a profound impact on you. The beauty of the landscape, the compelling acting from all, the terrific music and Penns great work in the director/writers chair make the film as engaging as can be. It really makes you want to enjoy the simple things in life and get out there.
spellbinding stuff indeed Mr. Ebert.
TylerWestmanJun 20, 2011
Into the wild is a story of an inspired, adventurous young man who grows tired of societal customs and relationships around him as he sees them to be insincere and unnecessarily comfortable. He leaves behind the comforts society has offeredInto the wild is a story of an inspired, adventurous young man who grows tired of societal customs and relationships around him as he sees them to be insincere and unnecessarily comfortable. He leaves behind the comforts society has offered him and begins an unpredictable, yet passionate journey into the wild. After many lessons learned from being so intimate with nature and it's habitants he learns that "happiness is only real when shared" making this expectedly cynical story a heartwarming perspective of the importance of intimacy with everything and everyone around us. Expand
JennetPMay 6, 2011
This film is painful to watch and, once seen, hard to forget. Both of the perspectives visible in the user reviews--McCandless as fool AND McCandless as visionary--inform Penn's directorial choices, from the retrospective structure of theThis film is painful to watch and, once seen, hard to forget. Both of the perspectives visible in the user reviews--McCandless as fool AND McCandless as visionary--inform Penn's directorial choices, from the retrospective structure of the film to its dense, emotionally complex episodes, each a gem of casting and ensemble acting. Emile Hirsch so inhabits McCandless that it's almost spooky, and, though the entire cast is strong, Holbrook and Keener give performances of exceptional sweetness and dignity. "Into the Wild" is, on one level, about a young man who starves to death amid abundance, and so is the story of an idiot. At the same time, it is the story of a man beginning to see the psychic and social costs of abundance and to yearn for a time when enough was enough, a true idealist who walks his talk. His tragic flaw is not his longing for vanished frontiers but his attempt to recreate them in his own mind, believing individual ignorance a fair approximation of their mysteries. Those who have lived in Alaska (or any extreme environment) may ridicule or condemn him, but McCandless grew up in Virginia, where nature is more pastoral theme park than "red in tooth and claw." Moreover, he is exactly the age at which many of us indulge in foolish, life-threatening behavior, as the cost of auto insurance for 20-somethings attests. What's sad is the waste: though his folly is more principled than the average youth's bender or car crash or fall from a Daytona Beach balcony, he doesn't get the second chance that most of us enjoy, the chance to learn, say, the difference between independence and isolation. Or--and this is for the users who profess simple amusement at the film--the difference between ignorance accepted as a cognitive stage and ignorance celebrated as a cognitive goal. Expand
JasonGMar 16, 2011
What starts off as a slow-paced bore becomes a meaningful (if not altogether-too-perfect) tale of a young educated man who transcends the boundaries of materialism and consumerism and escapes to the complete wild of frozen Alaska. WhileWhat starts off as a slow-paced bore becomes a meaningful (if not altogether-too-perfect) tale of a young educated man who transcends the boundaries of materialism and consumerism and escapes to the complete wild of frozen Alaska. While Hirsch's character is at times sickly sweet, this is toned down through the vast array of characters he meets. The mature and intelligent encounters transform this film from a simple travelogue to a much deeper study of human nature. The protagonist promotes a rejection of greed, glamour and materialism and their substitution with a naturalistic noble-savage-esque love of life. What the film fails to achieve however is the power that will change our ideals indefinitely - or perhaps that wasn't the intention. Expand
dlynch18Feb 27, 2011
Movie seemed to drag on forever. I couldn't feel sorry for someone that just seemed to use people to get to his end goal and not care about them. At many points I thought the story was going to wrap up but it just kept going and going, notMovie seemed to drag on forever. I couldn't feel sorry for someone that just seemed to use people to get to his end goal and not care about them. At many points I thought the story was going to wrap up but it just kept going and going, not in a good way. Expand
boneNov 18, 2010
The film repects the true story as expressed in Jon Krakauer's book. I can't overstate how good Emile Hirsch is as the lead. Every supporting actor plays their part to near perfection. Sean Penn is as good a director as he is an actor. TheThe film repects the true story as expressed in Jon Krakauer's book. I can't overstate how good Emile Hirsch is as the lead. Every supporting actor plays their part to near perfection. Sean Penn is as good a director as he is an actor. The music goes really well with the film. Expand
NasNov 15, 2010
A mind freedom, wisdom and human nature is what this movie is about. The heart wants what it wants and nothing is going to stop it. A movie you need to feel.
mrjackwhiteOct 11, 2010
a beautiful movie filled with wonderful acting from the whole cast, but emile hirsh may have even his best for this movie, a must watch for anyone who wants to finish a movie and still be thinking about it days later.
drownsodaAug 27, 2010
From the beginning, Into the Wild reels in the viewer in to an alternate form of thought. A mind-awakening tale with an ethereal aesthetic, cultivating freedom, escapism and human's most innate desires, it not only inspires but reaches in toFrom the beginning, Into the Wild reels in the viewer in to an alternate form of thought. A mind-awakening tale with an ethereal aesthetic, cultivating freedom, escapism and human's most innate desires, it not only inspires but reaches in to the souls of those who allow it. Expand
BadFilmSep 2, 2009
All Sean Penn's unforgivable portrayal of this story lack's is twelve disciples and a cross. The lead character is entirely undeserving of the sympathy, respect and philosophical status he is granted. The Alaskan climax aims toAll Sean Penn's unforgivable portrayal of this story lack's is twelve disciples and a cross. The lead character is entirely undeserving of the sympathy, respect and philosophical status he is granted. The Alaskan climax aims to serve as an indication of the freedom he has achieved but in actuality just demonstrates his lack of respect for the wild. Meanwhile the justification for this pilgrimage remains as the void between himself and his parents, a problem he has run away from, a problem his sister has equally endured and yet he, not she, is portrayed as the hero. Accompanied by uninspiring and tedious cinematography and a narrative so forcefully littered with imagery that it constitutes nothing more that a painfully transparent attempt to promote the poetic nature of the lead character, this has to be the worst film I've seen this year. Expand
CarlosLoayzaJul 21, 2009
this movie is right on target on the hipocrisy all around us and how somwtimes nature is the answer to bring a man's soul down to earth and realised what's really important.. I think Sean Pean capture this message brilliantly.

I

I think those who critizice this message have obviously never been in a situation of extreme discomfort and have life a secure, rouitine, and danger free life. book smart "intelegent" people who are scare to live and who have played it safe all their life.
JayHansmaJul 20, 2009
This film is so much more than something meant to entertain the audience. The film is filled with conflicts that everyone deals with. Philosophical ideas and views are filled throughout. Why are people so cold to each other? Human adventureThis film is so much more than something meant to entertain the audience. The film is filled with conflicts that everyone deals with. Philosophical ideas and views are filled throughout. Why are people so cold to each other? Human adventure is through travel and meeting new people not simply standing still living in society. You see how cold the world can be. But at the same time you see how good people can be without living in the "American Dream" with a house and job. The main character has parents that were not happy even though they were very wealthy. This impacted his life heavily and help cause his adventure. With an outstanding lead performance by Emile Hirsch along with an amazing supporting cast. Beautiful direction by Sean Penn and the enviroment is breathtaking while it takes an older style of film. The film will leave you inspired and heartfilled while part of you may feel some depression. If you don't enjoy the film maybe you should watch it again because you probably missed it. Expand
samaMar 29, 2009
I did not sympathize with the main character at all. He was unusually cruel in his view towards the ones closest to him, his family, yet all the time created these holier than thou ideals about what man and society should be like. Probably I did not sympathize with the main character at all. He was unusually cruel in his view towards the ones closest to him, his family, yet all the time created these holier than thou ideals about what man and society should be like. Probably the smartest "character" in the movie was nature, which in the end coldly dispatched of this boy and his silly, overstuffed ideals. Expand
KimLMar 21, 2009
A bit slow at first, too long as well. The acting was good. I found it hard to be sympathetic to Chris. I was more sad for the people he encountered.
FranciscoP.Dec 30, 2008
Sometimes heroes inspire something unreachable... an extension of fisical and mental faculties unexpected to any mortal. In this movie Sean Penn show us a character worthy of admiration: how many of us will have the courage to leave all Sometimes heroes inspire something unreachable... an extension of fisical and mental faculties unexpected to any mortal. In this movie Sean Penn show us a character worthy of admiration: how many of us will have the courage to leave all behind to just follow the unusual path, to just follow the essence of being? We are in front of another kind of hero: more real, nevertheless unreachable. Unforgettable movie... Impressive sountrack and cinematography!!! Expand
NusiN.Nov 30, 2008
Sean, the family members, Jon Krakauer and the whole crew put their whole heart into making it what it has become, a perfect reflection of what Chris could have been like.
AdamCOct 26, 2008
As somebody facing a similar journey in 2010, I was Awe-struck by this film as I preparing to trek the appalachain trail for similar reasons. this at that first sitting became my favorite film.
WiebeOct 11, 2008
Loved it. Very thoughtful, inspiring and scenic. You will like the movie depending on whether you sympathize with or criticize the main character? There's something to be said for both sides. But remember this is just one person dealing Loved it. Very thoughtful, inspiring and scenic. You will like the movie depending on whether you sympathize with or criticize the main character? There's something to be said for both sides. But remember this is just one person dealing with his struggles. Great soundtrack too Expand
EoinOct 1, 2008
Like me, if you didnt know the story beforehand youll probably love it. The twist and turns in the journey are enjoyable, but moreso the characters on the journey and the dialogue are what kept me entertained till the end.
ChristianP.Sep 22, 2008
The protagonist is obnoxious in his college freshmen philosopher hat. By the end, I didn't feel I had learned anything. I was just glad that it was over. The direction is spotty and awkward in all the zooms and ugly titles and cheesy The protagonist is obnoxious in his college freshmen philosopher hat. By the end, I didn't feel I had learned anything. I was just glad that it was over. The direction is spotty and awkward in all the zooms and ugly titles and cheesy slow motion. The candid shots are contrived. The only thing positive about this film is the supporting cast and the beautiful scenery. Other than that, it's just kind of annoying. Expand
DamianA.Sep 22, 2008
Nolan R? Have a heart, man.. you posted a very disrepspectful and just overall mean comment. I am disgusted. By the way, This is a fantastic film with a great soundtrack.
AlexK.Aug 5, 2008
Great movie and great insight into the different characters.
RyanM.Aug 2, 2008
This movie was in my thoughts for months after seeing it. Amazing.
ChrisLJul 26, 2008
A beautiful movie - tragic, though. I'd never heard of Emile Hirsch before, and I must say his acting astounded me. Call a thing by its right name....
[Anonymous]Jul 6, 2008
I guess if you can see yourself in him (McCandless) you would like the movie. I like it alot.
unhotGJun 12, 2008
The unbalanced perspective works against the movie even though it was compelling to watch. A deeper view of a complex personality is possible in a movie form, just watch 'Grizzly Man' by W. Hertzog. My view is summed up by this: The unbalanced perspective works against the movie even though it was compelling to watch. A deeper view of a complex personality is possible in a movie form, just watch 'Grizzly Man' by W. Hertzog. My view is summed up by this: Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote: Expand
JohnP.Jun 8, 2008
Slow and boring.
0 of 2 users found this helpful
NolanR.May 23, 2008
It's a bad movie about a stupid person who died about an hour's walk from Healy. Look, I live in Alaska. It's not this mystical land unspoiled by civilization. We've got cities, roads, all sorts of modern conveniences. If It's a bad movie about a stupid person who died about an hour's walk from Healy. Look, I live in Alaska. It's not this mystical land unspoiled by civilization. We've got cities, roads, all sorts of modern conveniences. If the guy wanted to go "find himself" why not go to Siberia? Less people there than in Alaska. Or maybe he could've just enjoyed the life that most of us wish we had and quit complaining about how rich he is. Anyone who thinks that this guy is a hero is an idiot. Expand
SpellBoundApr 20, 2008
A brilliant movie. Wonderful scenery, acting, and heartwrenching story.
RwichardW.Apr 13, 2008
Like a godawful cross between Forrest Gump, Catch me if you can, rambo and, I don't know, Psycho? A truly appalling filum.
MarieCBTApr 10, 2008
Penn ruined the man's life story. What a sappy, predictable liberal-ass treatment of something deeper than Penn could ever comprehend. We know that father never beat his wife - hwe do know he was jerk - not a beater, though. Chris never Penn ruined the man's life story. What a sappy, predictable liberal-ass treatment of something deeper than Penn could ever comprehend. We know that father never beat his wife - hwe do know he was jerk - not a beater, though. Chris never rafted the upper Colorado - never siad he did - but Penn has him super staring doen Clss 4 rapids - didn't happen. Chris did not ever say he climbed the peaks near bus 142 - Penn, of course, showed us otherwise. Penn lies you int the Supertramp myth that even Chris denied in the end. Read the book and believe. Avoid the movie. Expand
ErikP.Apr 9, 2008
Money means nothing, find yourself is the only way.
AaronFidlerApr 7, 2008
By far, one of the most gripping film adaptations I've ever seen. McCandless' story will inspire and anger you.
BuzzK.Apr 7, 2008
A privileged middle-class white kid with a college degree decides his life sucks, so he does the only logical thing: burns his money, turns his back on his family, and heads to Alaska for self-enlightenment. Meanwhile, the rest of the world A privileged middle-class white kid with a college degree decides his life sucks, so he does the only logical thing: burns his money, turns his back on his family, and heads to Alaska for self-enlightenment. Meanwhile, the rest of the world struggles with real problems like hunger which isn't self-inflicted. A tedious, self-absorbed, adolescent fable. Expand
2 of 8 users found this helpful
HaleyA.Apr 7, 2008
One of the best and most underrated films of last year! Emile Hirsch is brilliant as Christopher McCandless, and really captured the essence and spirit of the character. Sean Penn's screenplay and direction were wonderful, and was One of the best and most underrated films of last year! Emile Hirsch is brilliant as Christopher McCandless, and really captured the essence and spirit of the character. Sean Penn's screenplay and direction were wonderful, and was completely snubbed through all award season. The ensemble in this film is outstanding! Catherine Keener was perfect, Hal Holbrook was heartwrenching and sweet, and Jena Malone, Vince Vaughn, and Kristin Stewart all help round out the performances which help make this film so great. I can't believe that this film only received a few Academy Award nominations, and barely won any awards through out the award season. This is such a beautiful film, from the cinematography to the acting to the script, and needs to be seen by everyone!! The spirit and the chemistry of the film will captivate audiences, and will surely make people appreciate the beauty of the world. Expand
ChrisS.Apr 6, 2008
I rated this a 5. 5 out of 5 for the scenery and all I can say is youth is wasted on the young so 0 out of 5 for a story about someone pissed off and running away from home. Doing his research while running to the wild, ie. how to gut a I rated this a 5. 5 out of 5 for the scenery and all I can say is youth is wasted on the young so 0 out of 5 for a story about someone pissed off and running away from home. Doing his research while running to the wild, ie. how to gut a Moose, good plan. Also shooting the animal with what seemed to be a rimfire 22, another good plan. I wonder how short his stay in the bush would have been if he had not come across the bus. Woodstock and Haight Ashbury come to mind. " Yeah man gonna disconnect from society and live free", until the money runs out or the bullets run out. No man is an island. Expand
AustinS.Apr 6, 2008
This is the best movie I have ever seen. I could not go ten minutes without crying. Thank you so much.
PamelaR.Apr 5, 2008
i loved this movie - it moved me in ways i didn't know were possible - maybe because it captured the spirit of a 22 year old and the freedom that was possible then... and the indestructible nature of youth - Emile was amazing as was Hal i loved this movie - it moved me in ways i didn't know were possible - maybe because it captured the spirit of a 22 year old and the freedom that was possible then... and the indestructible nature of youth - Emile was amazing as was Hal Holbrook- I truely cared about the characters - and enjoyed the journey and people along the way - Sean well done!! Expand
MagH.Apr 4, 2008
Pointless nagging story about a selfish boy and his struggles to find "his own way" in the world. The irritating voice over by his sister ruins the film with her idolizing of her brother. The cinematography could have been great, but the Pointless nagging story about a selfish boy and his struggles to find "his own way" in the world. The irritating voice over by his sister ruins the film with her idolizing of her brother. The cinematography could have been great, but the constant close ups wrecks the images in a futile attempt to get a more personal view of the character. Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is only useful to the audience who falls asleep in the middle of the movie so they can wake up and hear Vedder sing something like "I'm crossing the river... I'm alone, so alone" when the protagonist is walking over a river - alone. Instead of seeing the film, send the admission fee to Oxfam or something. That will give you a greater happiness than Penn is able to provide. Expand
AdevApr 1, 2008
outstanding film which takes away day to day hassles in the modern world and shows it that money means nothing its the experiences that last with you forever its quite sad at times, and its a very well made film and jumps from highs to lows outstanding film which takes away day to day hassles in the modern world and shows it that money means nothing its the experiences that last with you forever its quite sad at times, and its a very well made film and jumps from highs to lows throughout. Enjoyed every minuite of this relatively long film. Expand
MarkoD.Mar 30, 2008
While I may not have agreed with the way this movie says is the best way to find happiness, it makes you think, which is what humanity is all about. Other than that it was funny at times, daring, and a fun journey to watch.
BillS.Mar 29, 2008
Disjointed, dragging, lifeless,.The most exciting thing in this wildlife adventure is a Grizzle sniffing Hirsch's crotch then moving on. I wasted 21/2 hours for the pay off: "Happiness is only real if it is shared." I could have saved Disjointed, dragging, lifeless,.The most exciting thing in this wildlife adventure is a Grizzle sniffing Hirsch's crotch then moving on. I wasted 21/2 hours for the pay off: "Happiness is only real if it is shared." I could have saved everybody $15 million bucks. If they had just called me, I would have told them: "Happiness is only real when it is shared." I'd save them the price of admission and 21/2 hours. Expand
TomD.Mar 28, 2008
Well made, ultimately sad story about an idealistic young man who eventually realizes his mistaken assumptions.
JenniferK.Mar 27, 2008
Incredibly filmed and acted. One of the most stunning films I have seen in a long time. There were some scenes that were a little too long, but it quickly picked up. Awesome soundtrack by Eddie Vedder too!
katM.Mar 25, 2008
i've watched the movie few days ago but until now i still can't stop thinking about the movie, mccandless, emile hirsch... everything. i still cry about the loss and inspiration that one person can give. he would never have thought i've watched the movie few days ago but until now i still can't stop thinking about the movie, mccandless, emile hirsch... everything. i still cry about the loss and inspiration that one person can give. he would never have thought during those dark, silent nights in the magic bus, alone and yet free that he could have an effect though sad but beautiful understanding of one's need to find hapiness and freedom to conform and yet realizing also in the end that God did not create only one person because "happiness is only real when shared". Thank you to all those involved on this, appreciate it! Great Job Emile Hirsch, Sean Penn... Expand
ThatemWMar 24, 2008
Great movie. Really followed the book well. Also some great shots of Alaska. Highly recomend this to anyone. Little slow, but leaves a lot to the imagination.
PeterK.Mar 21, 2008
Brilliantly filmed, but yet another sad (true) tale of a fearless romantic off on an adventure for which he is vastly unprepared, with serious consequences.
JohnMar 20, 2008
The story is good though I found the direction a bit distracting and self indulgent at times, with needless slow motion, unnecessary narration, and other such repetitive techniques.
KaylaD.Mar 14, 2008
I thought the movie was excellent. And how about giving some of the credit to Emile, I couldn't have asked for a better leading character than him. Emile plays Christopher in such a way that I felt as if I knew him. It was spectacular, I thought the movie was excellent. And how about giving some of the credit to Emile, I couldn't have asked for a better leading character than him. Emile plays Christopher in such a way that I felt as if I knew him. It was spectacular, and incredibly moving because I could feel Emile's emotion while in character. Expand
AlexSupertrampMar 12, 2008
Wow, what a great movie. I read some of the negative reviews above and below and think "man, these people need to open their minds a bit." It's those people exactly that Chris was trying to get away from. A long movie that I wish would Wow, what a great movie. I read some of the negative reviews above and below and think "man, these people need to open their minds a bit." It's those people exactly that Chris was trying to get away from. A long movie that I wish would have lasted 2 more hours!!! Expand
JoeyD.Mar 7, 2008
The trailer suggests this is an inspirational and uplifting film. It struck me as more melancholy and kind of a depressing. Overall it was a bit too long, in my opinion. But it didn't completely suck. Worth a rent at least. If The trailer suggests this is an inspirational and uplifting film. It struck me as more melancholy and kind of a depressing. Overall it was a bit too long, in my opinion. But it didn't completely suck. Worth a rent at least. If you've got 2 hours to kill and feel like watching a quasi-hippy, skinny kid do some deep and introspective soul searching, then this film is for you. Hal Holbrook's character is worth the wait, by the way. Expand
1 of 3 users found this helpful
BlaMar 5, 2008
The first bit of the film I felt a bit bored with but the last 2/3rds of it I dug a lot. The narration done by his sister is at best brief and at worst melodramatic and intrusive to the film's flow. Thankfully these narrating bits were The first bit of the film I felt a bit bored with but the last 2/3rds of it I dug a lot. The narration done by his sister is at best brief and at worst melodramatic and intrusive to the film's flow. Thankfully these narrating bits were left alone for a long while in the film, and allowed the story to progress without her weepy interjections. Expand
ChadS.Mar 5, 2008
Had Christopher McCandless(Emile Hirsch) forgiven mom and dad before that fateful nature hike and returned to civilization, his experiment in ascetic living would've been exposed as merely an extreme adventure disguised as a Had Christopher McCandless(Emile Hirsch) forgiven mom and dad before that fateful nature hike and returned to civilization, his experiment in ascetic living would've been exposed as merely an extreme adventure disguised as a protestation against materialism. Like the woman in Pulp's "Common People", Christopher, at any time, could've returned to his upper-middle class roots, once came to terms with his crummy childhood. Real poor people, however, if you asked them, would love to have a crummy childhood like Christopher's. But because this young man died, horribly, these projected criticisms about his so-called heroism, fall by the wayside. "Into the Wild" demonstrates how literature, not just populist music, can influence young people to make bad choices. What's the difference between Silverchair and Jack London if you're the sort of person who turns to external forces as the culprit each time tragedy strikes somebody down prematurely? Since "Into the Wild" uses a lot of flashbacks and voiceovers, the depiction of Christopher's death, albeit somewhat distasteful and exploitative, finally captures the isolation and loneliness that this young man encountered. It's hard to watch. Expand
hollyccMar 5, 2008
Lovely film, given most people know how it ends. I was thinking it was going to be sappy from the get-go--but it wasn't---only towards the end, when the inevitable starts to creep in. Emile Hersh was excellent--as was Hal Holbrook. TheirLovely film, given most people know how it ends. I was thinking it was going to be sappy from the get-go--but it wasn't---only towards the end, when the inevitable starts to creep in. Emile Hersh was excellent--as was Hal Holbrook. Their scenes together were some of the most heart wrenching moments in film I've seen in awhile.
I admire how Penn directed this film--both in landscape and feeling regarding the main character. Bittersweet is possibly the best adjective for it. You both want to knock some sense into him and cheer him on--and you're left feeling the loss of his life at the end. Very good movie.
MikeS.Mar 4, 2008
A very well acted and directed film. Emile Hirsch plays a character who is likable yet strange. He is a consummate conundrum -a loner, yet at times the life of the party. The movie evoked a wide range of emotions from me, part of me wanted A very well acted and directed film. Emile Hirsch plays a character who is likable yet strange. He is a consummate conundrum -a loner, yet at times the life of the party. The movie evoked a wide range of emotions from me, part of me wanted to be like him and part of me thought he was crazy. His interaction with Hal Holbrook was especially touching. Expand
JamesR.Feb 24, 2008
I read this book 10 years ago during my senior semester of college. It validated a lot of feelings I was having at the time that are impossible to examine in a film. Yet Penn's film still succeeds in telling Chris' story uniquely I read this book 10 years ago during my senior semester of college. It validated a lot of feelings I was having at the time that are impossible to examine in a film. Yet Penn's film still succeeds in telling Chris' story uniquely and beautifully IF you can avoid the basic human need to judge a person living life in ways personally hard to imagine or fully understand. I'm impressed with Penn's screenplay, including the scrolling passages from Chris' journal and the way Penn avoids a strictly linear telling, more in line with the way the book's author (Krakauer) pieced the story together during several years of research. There were a few lines of dialogue that bothered me ("If you want something, reach out and grab it!" for example), but otherwise I can't praise Penn enough for his vision here. Expand
JayH.Feb 23, 2008
Beautifully filmed, with outstanding characters that are so well defined and developed. The film has substance. It is deep and moving. The acting by the entire cast is superb, standing out is Emile Hirsch, Catherine Keener and Hal Holbrook. Beautifully filmed, with outstanding characters that are so well defined and developed. The film has substance. It is deep and moving. The acting by the entire cast is superb, standing out is Emile Hirsch, Catherine Keener and Hal Holbrook. Director Sean Penn does an amazing job. Great score, excellent editing and the writing is outstanding. Certainly of of the best films of 2007. Expand
MartinD.Feb 18, 2008
This movie is much too long. The lead character's exuberance was intermittently engaging, but none of the other characters came to life. There was no plot; the story of the rambling adventures of Alexander Supertramp went repeatedly to This movie is much too long. The lead character's exuberance was intermittently engaging, but none of the other characters came to life. There was no plot; the story of the rambling adventures of Alexander Supertramp went repeatedly to Alaska but didn't arrive anywhere else. The movie sorely needed a script-writer and an editor. I wish the bear had killed Chris/Alex and brought an end to this tedium sooner. Expand
frryl.Feb 14, 2008
This movie is a story of how most people want to live there there lives, yet vary few have the courage.
C.B.Feb 13, 2008
Unbelievable performance by Emile Hirsch. A true star turn.
PeterM.Jan 26, 2008
A great film. even though i loved penn's other three films i wasn't that excited about this; but its a masterpiece.
CindyN.Jan 21, 2008
This was a well done realistic movie that got to all your emotions. He was immature in many ways. Not contacting his parents. Many young people rebel against their parents usually earlier than 23 just after graduating from college. He showed This was a well done realistic movie that got to all your emotions. He was immature in many ways. Not contacting his parents. Many young people rebel against their parents usually earlier than 23 just after graduating from college. He showed his non acceptance of the norm and carried it too far and led to his death. It was haunting and a movie that will stay with me for a long time. Expand
MattRJan 1, 2008
This movie was worse than Gus Van Sants' Gerry. Anyone who considers this kind of crap art needs to put down their macbook and starbucks and step into a museum.
JamesM.Dec 16, 2007
Beautiful cinematography and overall one of the better movies of the year imo. And to all those who are crucifying this movie for having a flawed main character; a flawed character doesn't mean a flawed movie or plot (go read any Greek Beautiful cinematography and overall one of the better movies of the year imo. And to all those who are crucifying this movie for having a flawed main character; a flawed character doesn't mean a flawed movie or plot (go read any Greek tragedy you under-cultured C.H.U.D.s) I'm not undervaluing the opinion of those who didn't think this movie was fabulous, but please find a better reason to dislike it than, 'the main character was a jerk to his family'... Expand
benjamindDec 6, 2007
Never before has a film touched on so many levels; in particular man's journey through young adulthood. Sean Penn's ability to capture raw emotion and transcend it through seemingly "real-life" experiene has left me breathless. For Never before has a film touched on so many levels; in particular man's journey through young adulthood. Sean Penn's ability to capture raw emotion and transcend it through seemingly "real-life" experiene has left me breathless. For anyone who wants to take a journey which may help re-define your own life, you must see this film:) Thank you to all who played a part in the making of this masterpiece. Expand
PaulF.Dec 5, 2007
I just got back from the movies and have definitively decided Into the Wild is my kind of movie. It was intelligent, thoughtful, well acted stimulating the viewer to look within and ask all the right questions. Into the Wild is so needed and I just got back from the movies and have definitively decided Into the Wild is my kind of movie. It was intelligent, thoughtful, well acted stimulating the viewer to look within and ask all the right questions. Into the Wild is so needed and down to earth real that it was an extra joy and surprise to see this type of movie come out of Hollywood. I cannot recommend seeing this movie enough. In fact I plan to buy it and lend it out to all those who are interested. This movie had real soul. And if we only have but a glimmer of wakefulness within we will see the beauty and the healing this film can bring. The less you know about this movie before going the better. What I can tell you though is that there are some insightful revelations and lasting bonds that are made along his journey that can only be created by being truly in the present. Expand
HowardW.Dec 2, 2007
This is one of those movies that most critics love and many customers dislike. Main objection: the movie treats McCandless as a sort of heroic pilgrim, when he really is a selfish, irresponsible, world-class naif, who runs out on anyone who This is one of those movies that most critics love and many customers dislike. Main objection: the movie treats McCandless as a sort of heroic pilgrim, when he really is a selfish, irresponsible, world-class naif, who runs out on anyone who shows him caring, love and affection. Who but a jerk would subject his sister and parents to such pain because the old folks aren't perfect. I hated this guy, hoped the bear would eat him. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
WalsheKNov 22, 2007
What a wonderful film. I'm sure many seasoned movie goers are familair with the tug of war between you're critical faculty (have seen this before, genre expectations, cynicism) and the simple pleasure/displeasure ( do I like What a wonderful film. I'm sure many seasoned movie goers are familair with the tug of war between you're critical faculty (have seen this before, genre expectations, cynicism) and the simple pleasure/displeasure ( do I like it/believe it, buy into it etc) that occurs evertime you visit a cinema. For me this film transcended all of this nonsense becaue it makes you feel, it by-passes rationality cynicism, and moves you. This is why even though I only just saw it today, I can safely say it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is art. Expand
FallonD.Nov 20, 2007
This movie was inspiring and made me too want to take a chance and explore my wild side.
CoreyC.Nov 16, 2007
Beautifully shot and well-directed. The character, however, confuses self-actualization with simple selfishness. At his core, McCandless was weak-minded and sought to flee rather than face his problems; everyone has a childhhod with Beautifully shot and well-directed. The character, however, confuses self-actualization with simple selfishness. At his core, McCandless was weak-minded and sought to flee rather than face his problems; everyone has a childhhod with difficulties, many far, far worse than poor Supertramp's. Forgiveness is a truly arduous challenge that he never bothered to face. What a shame. Expand
AlistairP.Nov 14, 2007
Started out OK but never really gathered speed, apparently relying on the beautiful cinematography to tell the story. The central character never felt fleshed out enough to sympathise with, and his constant 'deep and meaningful' Started out OK but never really gathered speed, apparently relying on the beautiful cinematography to tell the story. The central character never felt fleshed out enough to sympathise with, and his constant 'deep and meaningful' conversations with strangers began to drag by half way through. Not having read the book (or ever heard of McCandless before) I was almost relieved that his naive spirit of adventure eventually proved to be his downfall and wasn't rewarded with a miraculous escape (after the ridiculous rapids trip). Still made me want to drop everything and go traveling though! Expand
ChangeAmericaNov 11, 2007
Even after two hours I was wishing this movie would never end. This story will lift you higher than you've been and then break your heart.