6.4

1. May 4, 2013
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other thanI have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other than that, this movie had no real depth at all. The motives for the bad guys is not really evident, nor is the explanation of the extremis virus. One minute you have a glowing man turning into a bomb and the next you have 10 glowing guys who breathe fire and regenerate except when killed?!?!?!?! All the Ironman suits were cool but how they get to that point is pretty pointless. It was an ok movie, and probably better than the second one, but was more of a money grab than a great film. Expand
  2. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot didn't seem to click with this movie, as with the previous Iron Man films. The villains are always so underdeveloped or underused to the point of asking, who is Iron Man fighting? After ruining Whiplash who was perfectly cast, they completely ruined Mandarin. I'm not a huge comic buff but I know enough to realize it was done poorly. That doesn't make the review though, the movie as a movie just wasn't good regardless. The run time of two hours and fifteen minutes felt like four hours and thirty minutes. There were a lot of parts that just didn't seem to matter. Additionally, there was a lot of screen time of Iron Man not being Iron Man. Where Tony Stark would sneak around like beloved secret agent 007 but I felt it really didn't fit the character. Especially since it didn't make any sense as later in the film we discover he had fifty Iron Man suits waiting under his house. Instead he decides to fix up the 42 and fight the baddies in human skin. The reason I disliked him being out of the suit is because we know he isn't trained like Batman/Bruce Wayne, Iron Man is the suit. On the topic of things not mattering, Mandarin attacking Iron Man's home. We all know he has a huge ego and endangered those he loved but of course being a super hero movie, nothing significant happened. We see that suits are blowing up but later in the film Jarvis commands like fifty more that are unharmed. The hero of the movie is Jarvis, his AI Jeeves. And this begs the question, if those suits were dormant underneath his house, why didn't he just call upon them while he was stranded in Tennessee? I guess there wouldn't be a movie then, right?
    As far as the humor goes, I definitely found myself laughing at parts which was nice but it also took away from the overall weight and depth the movie might have been going for. Instead of trying to save a president who is dangling high above ground or his girlfriend from evil clutches, jokes are being made about being shot at, etc. Thankfully though, all the bad guys suffer from stormtrooper syndrome. So Iron Man, basically Jarvis though, can save the day woo hoo! In the matter of Pepper, her purpose was to be injected and dropped into the fire so that she could live the drop and the fire haha. Saw that one coming but seriously, I hated that. I guess I just want a movie where a bad guy doesn't keep the hero's GF around as a trophy or doesn't give a long speech about how they're the best and just shoots them. Anyway, I'm a bit upset I spent a whopping $25 for two tickets to a movie my girlfriend and I were just begging to be over so we could go about our merry way. For whatever reason, I thought this would be different from Iron Man 2 but I don't know why I thought that. If you look at it with total disregard for comic canon, reality (i know it's a super hero movie), and sense; it can be kind of fun. Definitely a rent in the future and not worthy of the shelf!
  3. May 4, 2013
    My heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failedMy heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failed character motivation/development, and just downright bizarre and/or silly pointless choices are all factors. Worst yet, it also somehow manages to nullify the very theme of the previous movies. I'm not sure how the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe would ever recover from this slaughtering of tonal continuity.

One word comes to mind: Why??? It's as if Shane Black decided to insert Iron Man characters into an old 90's action thriller comedy script he happened to have lying around, throwing in silly, plastic dumbed-down "bad guys" from G.I. Joe and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. So many of the characters are pointless or have terribly weak, if any motivation for behaving like they do. Even the magical bravado of RDJ couldn't save it, and that's saying a lot. Of course there are funny and clever bits and some slick and cool action, but when a film has all that and loyal fans are still sitting there not caring or invested at all whatsoever, it's a problem. In any case, Black clearly doesn't get it, and apparently no one saw fit to help him out.

I suppose it's possible you could enjoy it if you are able to look past all these flaws and can watch it absolutely out of context from the comics, the other Iron Man movies, and entire Marvel/Avengers franchise. If not...it's painful. Needless to say, I walked away with nothing to think but "What the hell did I just watch?" "Was this FOX's interpretation of Iron Man?" "Whedon, WHERE WERE YOU??" Unfortunately, we now know nothing is truly safe, not even in the hands of Marvel Studios themselves. It really is a shame. Feige and the Marvel gang have a lot of explaining to do.
  4. May 3, 2013
    This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action,This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action, and not remote controlled.
    Even the best action scene in the movie is not done by Tony Stark as the Iron Man, it is done by Pepper.... There are some good parts, the story is more personal and there is a kid in it that is not annoying for ones. There is lots of humor, even the worst part of the movie is still funny and the special effects are good. I did sit through the whole movie, but it is the first Marvel movie I doubt I would want to watch again, as there is nothing really re watchable about it.
  5. May 3, 2013
    This is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of theThis is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of the american box office Expand
  6. May 4, 2013
    I've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched theI've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched the trailer again and it;s like it was made for a different film.

If this is our first look at Phase 2 I'm concerned. Iron Man 3 shows franchise fatigue, it felt stretched, rushed, basically like a Brett Ratner film. Expect something more like Rush Hour than an Iron Man film.

Credit to Marvel for at least trying to concentrate on Tony Stark's inner demons, the problem for me was how the film presents that. Instead of intertwining the action and human (Stark inner demon) elements into a finely crafted whole film it is more like each element is fighting for screen time, at odds with each other. There is another problem with the parts where Tony is trying to get over his experience in New York (Avengers), Robert Downey Jr has so many wise cracks and laughs the serious bits come off as funny, and not in a good way. I think these problems are less about RDJ's acting and more with how Marvel has marketed Iron Man from the first film; as family friendly entertainment, not the darker exploration of an alcoholic come hero from the comics (but hey they can always reboot right?).

Now on to what they did with the Mandarin, I have no idea how they got Marvel to sign off on making one of Iron Man's greatest villains into a joke. I read that the Mandrin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman, but after watching this you would never know that. I've never witnessed such a disregard for a property and disrespect than what Marvel has done to this character and fans about what Fox does to X-Men? This is on another level of insult lol

A sorry excuse for a super hero movie, more an action comedy (Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour etc).
  7. May 3, 2013
    So Shane Black you hate comic-fans so much? Well... we hate you in return. Thanks for ruining our beloved hero with such an ease. I hope Marvel will never turn an eye on you. God damn it, Black. We are disappointed.
  8. May 6, 2013
    This is all FUN! Go in with that mindset. The action is there, the effects are top-rate, and the storyline is interesting albeit a little muddy in spots. Downey Jr. is superb as ever.....this is his finest performance of the series. Still though, there really aren't many surprises here. The action is of course amazing, but still I felt a little robbed with the unanswered questions I hadThis is all FUN! Go in with that mindset. The action is there, the effects are top-rate, and the storyline is interesting albeit a little muddy in spots. Downey Jr. is superb as ever.....this is his finest performance of the series. Still though, there really aren't many surprises here. The action is of course amazing, but still I felt a little robbed with the unanswered questions I had about a few plot holes. However, this is still a fun film and a good one to. You'd have to be a stiff not to enjoy it! Collapse
  9. May 13, 2013
    Well how exactly were Marvel going to better the raging success and massive hit that was The Avengers? With Shane Black thats how.
    Robert Downey Jr. returns to Tony Stark land after saving the world from Loki’s alien army in New York, but that is exactly why he is having such a hard time. He simply cannot get round the fact that there are aliens and gods in the world he lives in. As he attempts to better his suit using several motions only with his arm, there is another very real threat in the form of The Mandarin, played by the fantastic Ben Kingsley.
    This guy is out simply to prove the point that he cannot be found, but that he can do very real damage to America. Tony struggles to separate himself from his suits to the point of having anxiety attacks when he thinks about the events of New York. Another shady character thrown into the mix is Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce, he is attempting to put out is Extremis endeavour with the help of Stark. But as several events start to unfold, it is clear to Tony that not everyone is who they say they are, and Tony must pick himself up after an explosive incident at his home, and he must find a way to stop The Mandarin.
    Shane Black has simply revitalised the Iron Man genre after the disappointing second outing, in the directors chair and as a co-writer. He has brought to us a very humorous and clever film that simply goes in at full steam, never trying to better The Avengers, but showing that a brilliant story can be told along with sublime action sequences and character development that will never cease to amaze, with only one of the Avengers there.
    With quite a major but also hysterical twist, it will truly show the writing power of Black, who has made this superhero film his own, along with very interesting characters.
    Downey Jr. is on fine form yet again as our suited up hero, he begins to show true balance between his life as Iron Man but also his commitment to his girlfriend Pepper Potts, played again by Gwyneth Paltrow who has an expanded and very significant role in the third outing. Ben Kingsley has to be one of the highest points of the film, combining his unique take on a comic book legend and with a wonderfully bizarre tone of speaking that makes it all the better.
    James Badge Dale, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and also former director Jon Favreau are on excellent form, combining these extraordinary characters with a commanding story and spectacular effects, this really is a superb follow up in a post-Avengers universe, and the best solo Marvel film to grace the screen.
    You would be a fool not to treat yourself to this remarkable film, with enough one-liners to make it an excellent comedy, mixed with the spectacular action, and of course a post-credit scene that for what it symbolises is just fantastic to watch, don’t miss out on the third, but hopefully not the last solo outing for Iron Man.
  10. May 25, 2013
    IRON MAN 3

Iron Man 3 stars Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley. Shane Black has taken over as the director instead of Jon Favreau in this installment of the series. This film starts out at a fairly slower pace than the previous two, but builds as it goes and keeps getting better. In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the
    IRON MAN 3

In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the public to deal with a sinister terrorist who calls himself Mandarin (Kingsley). At the same time, Stark struggles with extreme anxiety attacks as he tries to deal with the recent events of saving mankind from the other worldly villains in The Avengers.
    The acting was top notch. Robert Downey Jr. was great as always, and spends more time out of his Iron Man suit in this one than the previous two Iron Man films. Guy Pearce was a good addition to the series. He was a perfect villain and was fun to hate. Ben Kingsley, easily one of the greatest actors of our time, was amazing in this film. He will most definitely take you by surprise and his performance alone makes this movie worth seeing.

The action and special effects were great. The story, although slow at times, was interesting, had great comic relief and a big payoff at the end.

Go see this movie if you liked any of the other Marvel Comics movies such as Thor, The Avengers or the other two Iron Man movies. Whether or not you see it in 3D, you'll enjoy this one.

My grade for this film: A

Also, be sure to stay all the way through the credits.

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm pretty easy to please, and tend to like movies most others don't like, and movies most people do like. This was not one of those movies. They completely ruined the Mandarin, and the fact that Ben Kingsley was a complete hoax aside what was originally portrayed in the trailers reinforces the total disapointment that is Iron Man 3. They shouldn't have cast Ben Kingsley and his version of the "fake" Mandarin all together, and just ran with the burning orange bio-energy wielding Guy Pearce as the Mandarin instead. It would have had a cooler, less misdirecting feel with a better movie adaptation of a super villain.

The other, just as much if not more of a let down what how WEAK Iron Man was portrayed as in this movie. I know it's a typical comic book adaptation movie, where the hero deals with a new situation, gets the crap beat out of him/her, comes back and wins/saves the day/world. The whole movie Iron Man and Stark were like a joke, going through suits like toilet paper and getting crushed like tin cans. This is the SAME HERO that took on an ALIEN ARMY and a NORSE GOD, yet some freak science experiments are able to crush his suit like it's nothing?? This was all very underwhelming for what, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what an Iron Man movie should be like.

I hope he is better portrayed in the Avengers too, and my apologies to those who actually liked the movie, as I'm just stating my personal opinion in this review.
  12. May 4, 2013
    is a spectacular film technically, and what is the best interpretation of Downey Jr, c does not have a giant hole in the script, it would be the best film of the series Iron Man
  13. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it comes to Iron Man, or any Marvel movie for that matter, I'm skeptical. They can be really good like: Spiderman; The Avengers and X-men or utter like Thor; The Hulk or Elektra. Iron Man to me is a mixed bag in that it can be good or mediocre. I personally disliked the first one and loved the second. What about this Iron Man movie how did it fair. I mean when we went to see it the tickets were sold out. Thankfully we wisely bought our tickets online unlike some people. Anyway the movie, was it truly the summer blockbuster we were waiting for? Was it truly a perfect movie like we had thought? NO! It wasn't, it really wasn't. Does that mean it was bad? Well no it was, OK. I won't completely spoil the story, but in my opinion it was an excuse plot that ties in with the Avengers movie(which by the way is referenced a lot in this movie). I really did not find the story very interesting, at all. Like I said, it is an excuse plot, there is nothing you can't predict, save for one scene. The slower scenes in the movie really offset the more action oriented scenes, to the point of being boring. I'm serious you are gonna be think can these people shut up and get to the action already. Oh by the way, I hope you like Deus Ex Machina's cause this movie has a metric ton of them. There were plenty of times where I went "oh Bull****". Robert Downey, Jr. reprises his role as Tony Stark Iron Man and as always he does an excellent job in this role. He really brings life to an otherwise lifeless movie. As always he really gets into character and has fun with it and in turn we have fun too. What about the other character? Well, for the most part, they kinda suck. Don Cheadle as James "Rhodey" Rhodes aka Iron Patriot(what a stupid name) is in the movie but barely does anything. Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts is just there to get captured, that's it. The kid, well I hate kids in action movies, so there is your answer .What about The Mandarin? Let me answer that in a question. WHAT THE DID THEY DO TO THE MANDARIN?!! The Mandarin has always been one of my favorite marvel villains, so when I learned he would be the main villain I was hyped. When he is revealed he looks and sounds awesome and in scene in the movie where we see how cruel he is, I thought I can't wait to see him fight. So disappointed was I, because HE'S NOT EVEN THE MAIN VILLAIN! What they did to such a cool villain was downright criminal and I know I sound like a crazed fan boy, but when I saw the real villain it was impossible to not be aggravated. Seriously the writers thought the villain reveal was clever, but it was so obvious to anyone who graduated 6th grade. So the story suck, most of the characters were lame, but what about the the action and effect were they at least good? Actually they were. The suit were pretty well made, granted I am well aware that they were cgi, but the get the job done. The action was definitely great even when Iron man didn't have his suit, he was still awesome. I won't give it away but the final action scene was one of the greatest things ever, however I can't help but feel Iron Man gets his ass kick just a little too much, but the scenes are still memorable. Finally let me warn you, do not sit through the credits! All you will get is a shameless, shoehorn cameo and the most insulting sequel set up ever! In fact it isn't even a sequel set up, because the writers thought it would be awesome to blatantly tell you that "Tony Stark will return" for another cash-in. Wow! you guys. With that being said the final score for Iron Man 3 is a 6/10 it's decent. The action and effect is what you came for and you get it. The movie also had genuinely funny jokes and like I said Robert Downey, Jr. is a joy in this movie as he normally is. However the other characters and story gravely missed their marks. Expand
  14. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wishIron man 3 is a fun well filmed superhero move although at times the humor seems a bit much it almost never fails to make you laugh. The tone seems to be much darker than any previous marvel movie but it fits the place that Tony has to go. The one problem with the movie is the twist it had, comic book fans will not enjoy this twist I being one of them was able to get by it but really wish they didn't go that direction. Overall iron man 3 is great movie that may have one disapointing moment and too much humor it is still a fun great superhero movie to kick off the summer Expand
  15. May 5, 2013
    I

I

I loved this Movie, I cannot begin to imagine why some people are giving it such bad reviews, I loved the what they did with the mandarin and the flash back sort of thing at the beginning, and from what I hear from friends there is something interesting after the credits and because I was foolish enough to leave before they had finished I sadly missed it, so if you haven't been to see it yet, I recommend you do and that you stay until after the credits.
  16. May 12, 2013
    I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all.I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all. Not many campers coming out with a smile on their face on this one. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Tony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero isTony Stark spent about 15 minutes total wearing the suit. Marvel needs to stop letting the actors walk all over them with the "I want people to see my face" thing. This movie was called Iron Man. If I wanted to see some guy using gardening gloves modded with junk he got at Home Depot I'd watch "Home Depot Modded Gardening Gloves Man." The only reason I gave this a 2 and not a zero is because the honor of being the worst movie ever goes to Superman Returns. Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie isn't as good as the first Iron Man but better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 3 has less humor and less action and it didn't follow the footsteps of the comic book story line, which is kind of disappointing. But on the other hand, I was entertained enough in Iron Man 3 with the dazzling visuals and good twists.
  19. May 8, 2013
    Not as good as the first, but leagues better than the abysmal second. It just feels a little hollow at times, and the huge action sequence at the end is just like every other comic book movie these days you get caught up in the antiseptic, metallic blur of it all, knowing that nothing is really at stake. The sequences with the kid are fun, and the various uses of the suits areNot as good as the first, but leagues better than the abysmal second. It just feels a little hollow at times, and the huge action sequence at the end is just like every other comic book movie these days you get caught up in the antiseptic, metallic blur of it all, knowing that nothing is really at stake. The sequences with the kid are fun, and the various uses of the suits are innovative. Stark is more interesting this time around. I'll compare this series to The Matrix series now. The first is excellent the second completely sucked, and the third is much better than the second, but nowhere near as good as the first. And if you haven't seen it, don't bother sticking around for the post-credits sequence. They mailed that sucker in. (Not nearly as badly as the new Evil Dead, however....) Expand
  20. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate theIron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate the president with his reinforce baddies. Robert Downey Jr. returns as Tony Stark known as Iron Man is planning to make a new magnetize costume to suit it up, but overall he needs to spend time with his girlfriend (Gwyneth Paltrow) in the holidays. The two main villains are Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) are making an evil plan to kill Iron Man and to kill the president, but not Mandarin its Killian. The action scenes are spectacular and the effects are well done, but the only two good parts in this movie was Iron Man saves the passengers from the sky and Iron Man faces Killian at the docks with full of Iron suits. I would say that Shane Black did very well with the action scenes and the effects are good, but overall the movie wasn't that spectacular like most other Iron Man movies or even classic The Avengers. My main problem is that characters are a little bit too much, the lines are off charted, and sometimes it’s okay to check out the action scenes. It just difference between Stark with his girlfriend, Stark get complain with the little boy, Stark didn't realize that his old girlfriend works with Killian, or even the villain like Mandarin was a goof ball pretending a bad guy and just a fraud actor, but it needs to rewrite the lines and the story needs to take it seriously. Iron Man 3 was okay, but not is much. Thumb Down. Expand
  21. May 19, 2013
    Never attains the dark toned ways it seems to want to achieve and takes some easy ways out but Iron Man 3, for all intents and purposes is good entertainment.
  22. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

The whole Tony Stark inner turmoil thing really didn't ring true for me. I get the whole dwelling on "aliens really exist" thing, but it didn't really work IMHO. As well the use of the Mandarin really was disappointing. He could have been a really good evil character. Ben Kingsley could have absolutely nailed it if left to make the character his own.

As it was it was an OK movie. Watch it if you like the superhero genre, if not its not that interesting.
  23. May 11, 2013
    Overall I liked Iron Man 3. While I prefer the light-hearted tone of the original this one was pretty entertaining. Robert Dowry Jr. was entertaining as always, there was some good action, and the conflict was intriguing. While the film was nowhere near as good as Iron Man 1 it still managed to be entertaining. If you are sick of the superhero movies by now this one is not going to changeOverall I liked Iron Man 3. While I prefer the light-hearted tone of the original this one was pretty entertaining. Robert Dowry Jr. was entertaining as always, there was some good action, and the conflict was intriguing. While the film was nowhere near as good as Iron Man 1 it still managed to be entertaining. If you are sick of the superhero movies by now this one is not going to change your mind. However, if you’ve liked the previous ones I think you will like this one ok. Iron Man 3 is not as good as the Avengers or Iron Man 1 but still has enough entertainment in it to keep your interest. Expand
  24. May 5, 2013
    A very well made film with the kind of top-notch special effects as we’ve come to expect from these guys. I’m not going to get into the 2D vs. 3D debate but I have to say I did watch it in 2D and I can’t really see how 3D would have improved it. All the performances were excellent as usual with Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow taking top plaudits (for me anyway). I also have toA very well made film with the kind of top-notch special effects as we’ve come to expect from these guys. I’m not going to get into the 2D vs. 3D debate but I have to say I did watch it in 2D and I can’t really see how 3D would have improved it. All the performances were excellent as usual with Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow taking top plaudits (for me anyway). I also have to mention the young Ty Simpkins who plays a kid, Harley Keener, who befriends Tony when he’s ‘dead’. He played his part very well and we can only hope it leads to bigger things for the young man. I did enjoy this one though despite a rather complicated plot and the usual over-the-top fight sequence towards the end it’s definitely worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  25. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is essentially exactly the same thing as the first two Iron Man films with new villains and challenges. In many franchises, this would be a bit boring, but seeing how Iron Man's franchise has plenty of money, smart dialogue, and Robert Downey Jr. always spot-on as Tony Stark. This film seemed to pick up more steam as it progressed, but there were too many points where I feltIron Man 3 is essentially exactly the same thing as the first two Iron Man films with new villains and challenges. In many franchises, this would be a bit boring, but seeing how Iron Man's franchise has plenty of money, smart dialogue, and Robert Downey Jr. always spot-on as Tony Stark. This film seemed to pick up more steam as it progressed, but there were too many points where I felt like the movie just didn't seem as interesting. The parallels drawn to the Avengers movie and the effects being felt by Tony Stark is just as interesting, if not more, than even Guy Pearce playing a great villain. Totally worth the money to see it in theaters, but I am going out on a limb to say this is the weakest of the three films for Iron Man. It's still good, but it just seems to lack a little of the magic the first two movies brought. Whether they continue Iron Man or not doesn't seem to matter right now as Avengers 2 is in the works, which will likely bring plenty of Iron Man/Tony Stark, so I'm okay with this being it for a while for a dedicated Iron Man film since it's not the end of Iron Man on the big screen. Expand
  26. May 22, 2013
    I don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fallI don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fall flat without Robert Downey's deadpan delivery, and there was nothing new in the plot that you haven't seen before other than the pieces of armor that automatically attach themselves to Iron Man. The 3-D and special effects were excellent and it was never boring. It was much better than the last installment. Expand
  27. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3. Bigger in every way than 1 or 2 but does that make it better? I'm not sure. The action and 3D special effects are brilliant and the story with a great twist is something different for a Marvel movie. Lots of great comedy as well, which is fitting with director Shane Blacks previous movies like Lethal Weapon. However I feel my expectations were too high after The Avengers whichIron Man 3. Bigger in every way than 1 or 2 but does that make it better? I'm not sure. The action and 3D special effects are brilliant and the story with a great twist is something different for a Marvel movie. Lots of great comedy as well, which is fitting with director Shane Blacks previous movies like Lethal Weapon. However I feel my expectations were too high after The Avengers which has set the super hero "bar" so high that Iron Man on his own just can't match. BTW the scene after the credits is not worth waiting for which sums up my slight disappointment. Expand
  28. May 8, 2013
    Really people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from thisReally people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from this movie. I also realized that there were people that didn't like the last Iron Man movie. I was not one of those as I loved it! Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron ManIron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron Man fails to deliver anything worth watching, which is unfortunate after the success of phase 1 of Avengers filmed. Highly disappointed. Expand
  30. May 24, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is packed with action, it manages to remain impressive even after the Avengers, which is a feat in itself. It suffers from an uneven pace, but it also offers space to Tony Stark to be himself outside the suit. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of outstanding and he manages to make the "sacrifice" of the Mandarin worthwhile. The film also adds in a discrete commentary on politics,Iron Man 3 is packed with action, it manages to remain impressive even after the Avengers, which is a feat in itself. It suffers from an uneven pace, but it also offers space to Tony Stark to be himself outside the suit. Ben Kingsley is nothing short of outstanding and he manages to make the "sacrifice" of the Mandarin worthwhile. The film also adds in a discrete commentary on politics, something unexpected in a superhero movie. Above all, though, it was fun and funny. Expand
  31. Sep 23, 2013
    The worst movie from Marvel Studios yet! What a cop out with the Mandarin. Never have I witnessed a movie in the theater where people were booing at the end instead of clapping.
  32. May 9, 2013
    I agree that this movie fell a little short on big action sequences. I would have liked a lot more Stark-in-Suit scenes not sure why they felt so few and far between. However it lived up to the quality of the previous films and had a lot of really fun sequences in it.
  33. Jun 3, 2013
    Definitely Iron Man's strongest outing on the big screen yet. This is a darker, yet more comedic take on the superhero we have all come to love. It also features Downey's greatest performance in the suit to date. The plot itself is not meant to be taken seriously. Iron Man is no Dark Knight, and directer Shane Black is more than aware of that. A great Iron Man movie, and a good addition toDefinitely Iron Man's strongest outing on the big screen yet. This is a darker, yet more comedic take on the superhero we have all come to love. It also features Downey's greatest performance in the suit to date. The plot itself is not meant to be taken seriously. Iron Man is no Dark Knight, and directer Shane Black is more than aware of that. A great Iron Man movie, and a good addition to Marvel's ever growing big-screen lore. Expand
  34. May 31, 2013
    A third Iron Man movie and hopes were high for an improvement on the damp squib that was episode 2, so have things returned to the heady heights of Iron Man 1 with it's wit, charm and tongue firmly planted in its Marvel cheek?Well its certainly an improvement, that's the good news. Trouble is, for starters its running time is a flabby 2hrs 15 mins, easily 30 mins too long, the villains areA third Iron Man movie and hopes were high for an improvement on the damp squib that was episode 2, so have things returned to the heady heights of Iron Man 1 with it's wit, charm and tongue firmly planted in its Marvel cheek?Well its certainly an improvement, that's the good news. Trouble is, for starters its running time is a flabby 2hrs 15 mins, easily 30 mins too long, the villains are largely uninteresting, and for an Iron Man movie, he's hardly suited up for the first hour of the movie! Thankfully Downey Jnr and Paltrow still have a great chemistry, effects and action sequences, when thy finally turn up, are excellent, but compared to last years "Marvels The Avengers" this is still a good, but on the whole, pretty average comic book action movie. Expand
  35. Jun 4, 2013
    Some might argue that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is more himself in this film than in any of his others. I unfortunately am not one of them and while Iron Man 3 is a solid film, it doesn't really fell like Iron Man was even in it. The plot revolves around what happens when a close friend of Tony's is caught up in a terror attack orchestrated by a villain called The Mandarin (BenSome might argue that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) is more himself in this film than in any of his others. I unfortunately am not one of them and while Iron Man 3 is a solid film, it doesn't really fell like Iron Man was even in it. The plot revolves around what happens when a close friend of Tony's is caught up in a terror attack orchestrated by a villain called The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley). Tony heads on a journey of vengeance and re discovery as those he left behind are targeted in his stead. Like the Avengers did, Iron Man 3 takes a large portion of its opening to re-introduce the characters in Tony's world from Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts to Don Cheadle's James 'Rhodie' Rhodes, but unlike The Avengers it drags. The labored opening gives way to a 2nd act so fantastically funny it doesn't seem to belong to the same film. Shane Black brings his signature black comedy to the Iron Man universe and while making this world a lot more interesting than Iron Man 2 it does remove that familiar Stark feel. In fact it feels more like Harry Lockhart (also played by Downey in Shane Blacks's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) has replaced the troubled hero with his own overly narcissistic, sarcastic and all around vulgar self. The only character who seems to maintain their identity in this film is Rhodie who is just as fun loving as he was in Iron Man 2. In fact the replacement of Terrence Howard for Don Cheadle has proven pretty successful as he is much more accessible a character now. The main detractor from Iron Man 3 is that it doesn't really feel like the Iron Man from The Avengers or Iron Man, he seems to be just as likable but this film doesn't really live up to the character that has been built over the span of 4 films. Another problem is that the film relies heavily on the relationship between Stark and Potts and Gwyneth Paltrow just seems bored this time around. Her scenes drag, her delivery is flat and she doesn't put any effort in. The middle section which coincidentally is almost Paltrow free allows Downey to shine with the whip smart dialog and the introduction of a small boy named Harley (Ty Simpkins) is ingenious because he is almost a mini Stark but with a little more compassion. They interact in an almost brotherly way and you really understand why these two interact so well, they are both really well fleshed out and both deliver some killer lines (Simpkins has one line that is so completely unexpected and hilarious it almost makes up for the slow open). Iron Man 3 while chock full of action is ultimately a comedy film with a very lighthearted tone. The film flounders when the jokes aren't flying so even the action, which looks fantastic, is lacking something. The finale shows that Black can direct a big budget actioner but it just seems like a little too much for a film that feels like a stand alone but is trying to be a conclusion of a trilogy. Finally despite the great Downey performance the best comes from Kingsley who is not only the perfect villain but has a chameleon quality that allows him to be anyone, if anything you should go to see it for him and him alone. Expand
  36. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was a decent movie but lacking in a lot of places. The villains were odd with unusual humour, wasn't very keen on the lacklustre mandarin plot.
  37. May 13, 2013
    I must say that I believe that this is the best film in the Iron Man franchise. Downey was on top of his game once again as Stark. Saw this in IMAX 3D and should say that should be the only way that this movie is viewed. An epic movie experience for an epic movie. I would really like to say that Guy Pierce's character was very convincing. Sir Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was a little overI must say that I believe that this is the best film in the Iron Man franchise. Downey was on top of his game once again as Stark. Saw this in IMAX 3D and should say that should be the only way that this movie is viewed. An epic movie experience for an epic movie. I would really like to say that Guy Pierce's character was very convincing. Sir Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was a little over the top and he sounded like if Walter Chronkite and Brian Wiliams from NBC. That would be the only reason why I gave the movie an 8. Other then that, I would definitely see this movie again. It was bigger then life and the action scenes really had my on the edge of my seat for the most part.
    Also I have to give Don Cheadle props, just for the fact that it was really his first "action-y" movie and I think he really nailed it.
    If you havent seen this movie, then go. If you have seen if and liked it, see it one more time.
  38. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as good as The Avengers. The villain is weird, it's hard to put in words but he feels out of place. The high points in IM3 are pretty high, but the lows are pretty low and "weird". Why is Tony Stark running around with a gun at the end of the movie? How did Pepper Pots just get "cured"? What's with his anxiety attacks exactly? It's his third movie fighting bad guys and other assorted crazies, but his encounter with aliens in the Avengers messed him up? Just feels contrived and weird. I like Guy Pierce, but this villain doesn't work, and they should stop doing "greedy" bad guys in IM films. Not a bad movie, but could have been a heck of a lot better, especially after The Avengers showed everybody how it should be done. There's no excuse any more after Whedon's awesome hero flick. If you've got nothing to do, this movie's okay to fill in some time, otherwise I can't even recommend it as a rental when there are so many other good movies out there. Expand
  39. May 7, 2013
    While clearly having its usual charismatic flair, Iron Man 3 doesn't succeed in all its attempt for Stark's solo career after The Avengers. It is however, entertaining enough to warrant audience's time with slightly darker tone and witty humor. Robert Downey, Jr has melt into the character so well, it's nigh impossible to imagine someone else portray Tony Stark. There are few memorableWhile clearly having its usual charismatic flair, Iron Man 3 doesn't succeed in all its attempt for Stark's solo career after The Avengers. It is however, entertaining enough to warrant audience's time with slightly darker tone and witty humor. Robert Downey, Jr has melt into the character so well, it's nigh impossible to imagine someone else portray Tony Stark. There are few memorable scenes aside from your usual humdrum explosions and they manage to differentiate the movie from its predecessor, but this also goes with awkward plot holes.

Recurring characters, such as Don Cheadle as Rhodes and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper are so comfortable with their roles, it creates natural on-screen relationships with Tony Stark. This time Pepper has a lot more screen presence as she breaks out from her babysitter cocoon, and quiet frankly has her most substantial role in the franchise thus far. Ben Kingsley as Mandarin is somewhat over-the-top, borderline corny. I suppose they want it to be a surprise, but It could be perceive as shallow and demeaning to an already established character.

Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian is vague, he provides better challenge than previous nemeses, but his motivation is superficial. It's utterly hard to imagine that a supervillain would arise from such trivial excuse. Script has its moments, mostly in accidental parental relationship between Stark and Harley, a kid who becomes temporary side-kick for Stark. I understand the need to humanize Stark, in short; taking the suit for some parts of the movie or make him deal with psychological repercussion of his actions, and mostly, it delivers.

Graphically, it suffices in rather predictable ways. The addition of 3D doesn't add much though, I have a harrowing feeling that there's cumbersome muddy visual all over the otherwise crisp effects. On top of that, there's not enough depth perception to fully utilize the 3D, I strongly urge to see the normal version instead. Action involves plenty of missiles, bullets and cannons being fired, as expected. There's admittedly clever gimmick for the suits usage, so it does break from simple combat.

Between the fast paced screen transition, there are some plot holes which may be convenient for the movie in the expense of giving any plausible explanation. Given the fresh changes, Iron Man 3 is a flawed movie, but one which isn't sorely lacking in entertainment value.
  40. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Iron Man 3 so I was a little concerned going into the theater. However, in my opinion the movie was outstanding. The cast and characters were fantastic just like the first two and the plot developed well and, unlike the first two, didn't have so many plot holes. The villain was thankfully not a robot and had some depth as well, which was one of the biggest things Iron Man 2 lacked. There was also plenty of humor, actually, there was more humor than the first two combined and almost all of it felt well timed and fit into the flow of the film. There were a few jokes or quips that felt forced but for the most part there were a lot of laughs to go around. The only real area of weakness for the movie were the overpowered villains. *SPOILER* The villains were so OP it made watching certain battle sequences a little ridiculous. It shouldn't take several Mark suits to take out one of the villains henchmen. And like in the second film, their powers have a limited range (whip in part 2, the need to touch you in this one) so them being capable of going toe-to-toe, let alone overtake a Mark suit was kind of a joke. Nonetheless, the movie was fantastic and these weaker elements, while they sound like a big deal here, are really easy to look past. Expand
  41. May 9, 2013
    I'll put it as bluntly and as simply as I can; It's not what you expect. The jokes come off strained and poorly written, and the story leaves a lot to be desired. Still, the visuals are amazing, and so is the music (although the lack of AC/DC was somewhat disappointing).
  42. Jun 6, 2013
    Even though Iron Man 3 is far superior than its predecessors, it still had some moments that reminded me of the bad things of the first 2. Altogether a well made film that incorporated more fluid action then Iron 1 and 2 combined.
  43. Jun 7, 2013
    It was Ok, not great, but Ok. Seemed to be really reaching to try and capture the Iron Man feeling from the first couple movies and the Avengers. Don't know where they go from here, but it will take a pretty good hook to get me interested in seeing the next one.
  44. May 7, 2013
    It's hard not to like Robert Downey Jr and he was entertaining, but Iron Man 3 was quite predictable. His attempt at having panic attacks was very prosaic. Didn't really like Gwyneth Paltrow. she's too stiff. Don Cheadle as Tony's comedic foil was great as was Ty Simpkins. The action was good, but nothing special. Cheadle and Downey make the movie worth seeing. Also, don't waste the $3 for 3D.
  45. Oct 10, 2013
    A bit boring if you ask me, Iron Man 1 was amazing, Iron Man 2 was good and Iron Man 3 starts to feel like a money making racket. That being said, in isolation the film is worth a watch and is a nice superhero romp with lots of shiny special effects that manages to entertain. 7/10
  46. May 9, 2013
    Iron Man 3

Director: Shane Black Starring: Robert Downy Jr. Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau Runtime/Rated: 130 Minutes, PG-13 My original thoughts on (Iron Man 3) were negative, it was to earlier to release another Iron Man movie particularly only a year after The Avengers. I’m thinking “wow, Marvel is really going to beat down

Director: Shane Black

Runtime/Rated: 130 Minutes, PG-13

My original thoughts on (Iron Man 3) were negative, it was to earlier to release another Iron Man movie particularly only a year after The Avengers. I’m thinking “wow, Marvel is really going to beat down the superhero movies to the ground”. However, after seeing the trailer, all of those negative thoughts flew out of my mind, and I was again excited to see an Iron Man movie again.

The story behind this third installment of the awesome Iron Man franchise is a terrorist called The Mandarin, who is the mastermind behind these terrorist attacks. His goal is to kill the president of the United States. Of course, it’s not going to be so easy to fulfill his goal when you have Tony Stark lurking around. Tony Stark is there to stop the Mandarin from his evil plans, but along the way has his own problems. Stark has a relationship issue with his girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow, and he losses his house where all of his technology lye’s. Nevertheless, there is more to this Mandarin character then we really know and think. Can Tony Stark stop The Mandarin or will he have is day?

I liked this movie, I thought it was good, not great nor as good as the first two Iron Man movies, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The strongest aspect to the movie was its amazing lead in Robert Downy Jr. as Tony Stark. There’s no other better actor to play Mr. Stark, he’s charismatic, he carriers this movie a lot and he’s extremely funny, if it wasn’t for the comic relief mainly from RDJ I would not have liked this movie as much as I did-slow at times- Ben Kingsley was also great as the Mandarin, and I enjoyed his performance a lot. Last, I will mention Guy Pearce who I absolutely love as an actor. I thought he played the smooth talking billionaire very well. The one problem I had with Guy Pearce was his character which I thought wasn’t fully developed as much as it should have, but nevertheless still a good performance. The action sequences were very good, especially the one where iron man saves the falling passengers out of the sky, the scene had great intensity and left me on the edge of my seat. The visual effects were superb as usual, at times I really couldn’t tell what was real and what was fake.

The movie is defiantly flawed, and there are many flaws to this movie that really hits hard with me, the biggest was the completely anticlimactic action scene at the end of the movie. The final battle scene started off great, with lots of iron man suits arriving to help out Tony and Rhodes. Even when Tony confronted The Mandarin and they started having their duel, it was still impressive to look at, suitably towards the way that Tony was jumping from suit to suit, which I found very creative and nice to watch. However, when Pepper Potts joined the fun, the whole third act really dropped off a lot for me. Something happens-which I don’t want to spoil it- with her that’s so not necessary and completely predictable that when it happened, I was immediately turned off. Then, Shane Black had the nerve to bring her back to the fight sequence and finish the Mandarin off all by herself, which I did not believe, or bye into for a second. The ending was a huge let down to a movie that I was very much enjoying. Even though I really enjoyed the action scene at the end, that whole sequence with Pepper Potts really disgusted me. Other flaws to the movie were the villain (The Mandarin) who was underdeveloped and had a piss poor death. I just wish he could have had a better death, he was a very cool villain, that had so much potential.

Overall, I did enjoy (Iron Man 3) a lot, and even though it isn’t the best iron man movie in the franchise it’s still a good action summer popcorn movie, and a movie to start off the summer season.

My Grade: MATINEE

p.s. the big twist in the movie is a huge success that I completely bought into and very much enjoyed. If you dare and say “I saw that coming” then you’re obviously a lair and shall be zapped and killed by Tony Stark himself!
  47. May 5, 2013
    Great movie. Lots of SFx and many many things blowing up. I only gave it an 8 because the story isn't too complex and what little story we do get is accentuated with lots of things blowing up. I won't go into spoilers but parts of the movie aren't really developed; that is to say, there are questions at the end about certain scenes and what happened to certain people after we find out whoGreat movie. Lots of SFx and many many things blowing up. I only gave it an 8 because the story isn't too complex and what little story we do get is accentuated with lots of things blowing up. I won't go into spoilers but parts of the movie aren't really developed; that is to say, there are questions at the end about certain scenes and what happened to certain people after we find out who the real villains are pulling the strings. Anyway, good movie and worth the price and time sitting in the theatre. Expand
  48. May 5, 2013
    Hello summer movie season!!! We've been waiting for you.. Entertaining movie. You can certainly tell it has a different director. The humor is scarce but present. The characters are there but transparent. Don't let my criticisms distract you though I enjoyed this movie a lot. It is fun and that is what a movie like this is supposed to be, just fun! There were a couple of distracting plotHello summer movie season!!! We've been waiting for you.. Entertaining movie. You can certainly tell it has a different director. The humor is scarce but present. The characters are there but transparent. Don't let my criticisms distract you though I enjoyed this movie a lot. It is fun and that is what a movie like this is supposed to be, just fun! There were a couple of distracting plot points and a few things that might get Ironman fanatics upset, but this is a good movie that does it's job well. Expand
  49. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing. After viewing this movie twice, just to be sure about my feelings about one of the best Marvel super Heroes that have been brought to the cinema screen, I can surely say that the third episode of Iron Man 3 is really a huge disappointment. The story has been presented in a "jumpy" and poorly believable way. Tony stark opts for revenge only after the Mandarin has hurt a friend of his, while other previous victims of that terrorist are simply unimportant. Many scenes are missing a direct link with each other: in a scene Stark is driving a car in a cold mountain road, while in the next scene he's in Miami trying to infiltrate in a hardly believable (home made weapons made with Christmas decorations and gadgetry! Holy crap!) way the place where the Mandarin is hiding, thousands of miles away from the place of the previous scene. And the huge surprise of the mandarin himself being an old actor addicted to drugs playing only a role just to cover the real identity of who is pulling his strings... yes it is a surprise, but not a good one. Even if I'm not personally so linked to the Iron Man comic's true story. To be clear: the Mandarin is simply a joke! A sad joke. I have to add an interesting consideration: the original Iron Man 3 without cuts should have been a solid 3h 15m movie! Here is the site telling the surprising fact:
    Maybe, with those scenes the movie would have been better, not so discontinuous and jumpy!
    The real villain of the movie, acted by Guy Pearce, is not very convincing: he looks more like a malfunctioning version of the Human Torch in Fantastic 4. And the female character played by Rebecca Hall changes her mind too easily just after a brief talk with Tony Stark.
    Finally, the various Iron Man suits look very weak and vulnerable to the enemies superpowers. In the previous movies the suits looked more resistant to the enemies strikes.
    To complete my personal review, I must say that the movie is not that bad, but is really not what it should have been.
  50. May 10, 2013
    Iron Man 3 despite butchering one of the greatest comic book villains is in fact a lot of fun, and a drastic improvement on Iron Man 2 but still not recapturing the charm or feel of the first
  51. May 14, 2013
    La cosa migliore la sequenza dei titoli, posta in conclusione, costruita con immagini provenienti da tutti e tre gli episodi della serie e montate a ritmo adrenalinico secondo uno stile da telefilm anni Settanta, il tutto accompagnato dalla roboante colonna sonora di Brian Tyler. Con un nuovo regista e sceneggiatore mentre il vecchio, Jon Favreau, si tenuto il piccolo ruolo di HappyLa cosa migliore la sequenza dei titoli, posta in conclusione, costruita con immagini provenienti da tutti e tre gli episodi della serie e montate a ritmo adrenalinico secondo uno stile da telefilm anni Settanta, il tutto accompagnato dalla roboante colonna sonora di Brian Tyler. Con un nuovo regista e sceneggiatore mentre il vecchio, Jon Favreau, si tenuto il piccolo ruolo di Happy Hogan, il terzo capitolo dedicato a Iron Man (ma io sono all’esordio, per me ‘Iron man’ la canzone dei Black Sabbath) stato pensato e costruito come un blockbuster e il suo mestiere lo fa bene, seppur non andando troppo per il sottile: due ore filate in cui l’azione a fare la parte del leone, con solo qualche momento qua e là per riuscire a tirare il fiato. Si confermano le tendenze dei film di supereroi degli ultimi tempi: il protagonista tende ormai alla mezza età e comincia a essere stanco (anche perché soffre di attacchi di panico lascito della lotta contro gli alieni di ‘The avengers’) ma finisce per trovarsi a lottare basandosi più che altro sulle proprie forze e la propria intelligenza perché gli aggeggi di cui si circonda fanno cilecca più del dovuto. Se vero che Tony Stark meno problematico di alcuni suoi colleghi, ha più di loro il dono dell’ironia, grazie anche alla capacità di sdrammatizzare di Downey jr. che riesce a funzionare pure quando ripreso in primo piano all’interno di una delle sue armature (specie quando intrappolato nella non proprio perfetta Mk42). Attorno a lui, tutto il cast dà l’impressione di divertirsi parecchio: Paltrow ha ammesso in un’intervista che lavorare in una pellicola del genere rilassa, mentre Ben Kingsley sfrutta alla perfezione la parte del Mandarino, in cui può gigioneggiare in libertà, tifare per il Liverpool e ammiccare, nella sua ultima scena, a ‘Viale del tramonto’. La sceneggiatura non si fa certo mancare le citazioni, anche se qualcuna si perde nel doppiaggio, ma ha il pregio di tenere un buon ritmo sapendo distribuire tocchi di commedia: l’importante non domandarsi come possano succedere così tante cose in così poco tempo (a parte un prologo, tutta la storia si svolge a Natale) per non parlare di una successione dei fatti che non si preoccupa sempre di avere una logica e di uno sviluppo che non concretizza tutte le premesse. Niente da dire, invece, sugli effetti speciali, che per una volta non sono curati dalla Industrial Light & Magic: notevoli anche se tirate un po’ per le lunghe (il prezzo da pagare alle copie in 3D?) sono sia la distruzione della villa di Stark, sia il gran finale nel porto, in cui, seppure a fatica, infine defunge il cattivone di turno Guy Pearce comincia ad essere abbonato ai ruoli di villain. Nelle sequenze conclusive c’è un tirare le fila di tutti i personaggi, con quello principale che pare decidersi a ripensare la propria esistenza con annesso rapporto di coppia: non essendo Bruce Wayne, però, finirà per ritornare, come difatti scritto dopo gli interminabili titoli di coda. Il rullo sembra davvero infinito, ma vale la pena aspettare che scorra non solo per leggere la promessa di una nuova puntata, ma anche per vedere la breve scena che conclude il tutto con un ultimo sorriso Expand
  52. May 5, 2013
    i was incredibly impressed with this movie. Big disappointment? I can see where you would draw your disappointment, but it was standard Iron Man. Nothing more. Nothing less. Its pretty much everything we expected, and then some. The Mandarin twist was fantastic! Damn you, if you didn't like it! There were some implausible things, sure. But that is expected of comic book movies. They'rei was incredibly impressed with this movie. Big disappointment? I can see where you would draw your disappointment, but it was standard Iron Man. Nothing more. Nothing less. Its pretty much everything we expected, and then some. The Mandarin twist was fantastic! Damn you, if you didn't like it! There were some implausible things, sure. But that is expected of comic book movies. They're not all going to be perfect. And excellent execution on the Pepper Potts death. Just when you think Stark is going to save the day again, he loses Pepper and acting and expressions really made you forget that she was going to be okay due to her new condition. Excellent. Iron Man 3 was the finale. People will always complain about the ending of stuff and how "its the most flawed movie of the franchise" etc, etc. This was the greatest movie Marvel has EVER produced, In my opinion (minus Spider-Man in 2002). Tony Stark was Tony Stark, billionaire, playboy, philantrophist. More flamboyant and witty than Batman. Excellent ending to the franchise, I hope they don't reboot it, or continue it without Robert Downey Jr. while he can't don the suit forever, if they're going to make a new one, Downey Jr. or nothing. Expand
  53. May 8, 2013
    Okay, so there little stint with "The Mandarin" left a bitter taste in my mouth but beyond that; the film was great. It's quintessentially a Shane Black production that's had sex with a big action comic book movie and Iron Man 3 is the bouncing baby boy. In a nutshell, this Iron Man was the sequel we wanted back when the second one released. Like Mickey Rourke, we wanted our bird, andOkay, so there little stint with "The Mandarin" left a bitter taste in my mouth but beyond that; the film was great. It's quintessentially a Shane Black production that's had sex with a big action comic book movie and Iron Man 3 is the bouncing baby boy. In a nutshell, this Iron Man was the sequel we wanted back when the second one released. Like Mickey Rourke, we wanted our bird, and they gave us bird Fortunately, they got their act together and gave us an eagle. Expand
  54. May 15, 2013
    "Iron Man 3" is easily as much fun as its predecessors, if not more. Packing all the quick wit and explosive action that's become trademark of this series, this third and highly-anticipated outing sees Tony Stark at his most vulnerable as he fights stoically and sometimes desperately against the will of a mysterious terrorist known as the Mandarin after his home is destroyed. Featuring"Iron Man 3" is easily as much fun as its predecessors, if not more. Packing all the quick wit and explosive action that's become trademark of this series, this third and highly-anticipated outing sees Tony Stark at his most vulnerable as he fights stoically and sometimes desperately against the will of a mysterious terrorist known as the Mandarin after his home is destroyed. Featuring some great new side characters and welcome old ones, this film definitely ups the scope of Iron Man while retaining the same charm of the others, and is a great piece of entertainment. The only big flaw it has is in its mid-movie twist, which reveals the Mandarin as nothing more than an actor and facade for the true villain, who is both much less intimidating and far more standardized (especially when being played by Guy Pearce). This move might not be quite so deflating if it weren't also for the fact that this character quickly becomes not only a shattered echo of the awesome Mandarin we've been expecting to see, but simply a drugged-up comic relief. It didn't completely ruin the movie for me, but I would have much rather seen a showdown between Stark and Mandarin than Stark and Guy Pearce, particularly since you fully believe beforehand that it was this Mandarin who blew up his house and almost killed Pepper Potts. But despite this, it's definitely worth seeing and definitely worth the title of "Iron Man". Another solid entry from Marvel. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2013
    Not as great as I was expecting it to be, but it was still a good and fun battle with the fan-favorite Ironman. Robert Downey Jr. is of course phenomenal, as he and Ironman/Tony Stark seem truly to be one and the same. Everyone else is superb as well. The reason this did not score higher for me is that there were, one, a some plot holes and, two, there are a bunch of big questions left onNot as great as I was expecting it to be, but it was still a good and fun battle with the fan-favorite Ironman. Robert Downey Jr. is of course phenomenal, as he and Ironman/Tony Stark seem truly to be one and the same. Everyone else is superb as well. The reason this did not score higher for me is that there were, one, a some plot holes and, two, there are a bunch of big questions left on the table that had me feeling as if I was jipped because those questions were left unanswered by the time the credits started rolling. Expand
  56. May 20, 2013
    Just like any other Iron Man the visual effects are unbelievable. To top that off, Iron Man 3 is explosive and extremely thrilling, making the last three Marvel superhero films look like amateurs.
  57. Jun 5, 2013
    Really Really Really Really LOVE this movie. I wasn't getting the whole Iron Man hype, and when I went to see the midnight screening of this, I wasn't sure to expect. THEY WENT MASSIVE WITH IT. Honestly, Its such a great movie that left me thinking about it for days. The action and explosions were insane and the story was actually pretty great. LOVE it a lot. watch it, even if you dontReally Really Really Really LOVE this movie. I wasn't getting the whole Iron Man hype, and when I went to see the midnight screening of this, I wasn't sure to expect. THEY WENT MASSIVE WITH IT. Honestly, Its such a great movie that left me thinking about it for days. The action and explosions were insane and the story was actually pretty great. LOVE it a lot. watch it, even if you dont like Iron Man! Expand
  58. May 5, 2013
    Wow! This is easily the greatest Iron Man movie of them all! It has the best story, best ending, and the best action scenes that are better than 1 and 2's combined. Not to mention that the acting is great and the villains are awesome. There must be an Iron Man 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  59. May 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Movie was not what many people expected it to be, a standard comic book movie hero vs villain, when it tried to take a more serious route ,which is fine, and tries to build up back story for iron man for the avengers 2. Most of the movie is spent with back story for iron man and figuring out what the main villain is doing. I loved the main villain he was very clever and you never knew what the was going to do next, if only iron man could fight him back or at least try seriously it's a little pathetic when your girlfriend defeats the main villain for you. During the whole course of the movie Iron man kills maybe 1 of the actual bad guys, just because your trying to make the story more serious doesn't mean you have to make him a freaking pansy. You had all this build up leading to the end and then he doesn't even kill the main villain. The movie is also filled with lots of humor which is appreciated these movies need more humor but I wish the movie was more focused on the villain than back story and humor because that's what made these movies in the first place! Expand
  60. May 7, 2013
    This film starts with a flashback to 1999, however thats the only thing that feels old about this film. Those who go in wanting the IronMan and Avengers IronMan will be disappointed because that is not what this film is. IronMan 3 is a much more mature film for the most part, with a story that feels relevant and a focus on Tony Stark rather than IronMan. I particularly liked the fact thatThis film starts with a flashback to 1999, however thats the only thing that feels old about this film. Those who go in wanting the IronMan and Avengers IronMan will be disappointed because that is not what this film is. IronMan 3 is a much more mature film for the most part, with a story that feels relevant and a focus on Tony Stark rather than IronMan. I particularly liked the fact that Tony was suffering PTSD after the events of the Avengers. In the end this pays off somewhat leading to a great story for Tony and pretty much no one else. The special and practical effects in this film were awesome particularly the getting in and out of the suits and the plane sequence stunt is great to watch. This film sends a message to future super hero films you can have a decent plot as well as decent action and character growth.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    They should have called this film Tony Stark
  61. May 9, 2013
    I’m a sucker for super hero movies especially if they’re of good quality. I know I’ve said it before, but anytime a hero movie can take itself more seriously and further connect with the audience, it’s a winner in my book. So after seeing the trailer, I went into Iron Man 3 with high expectations. I came out feeling pretty alright.

Iron Man 3 is more than just an explosive action

Iron Man 3 is more than just an explosive action movie, or even the barely above average com-dram that’s hidden beneath, I think it could be argued that it’s a character study of Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark. It easily gets over looked amidst the flashy tech-porn and the quiver-inducing special effects (which are both pretty spectacular I’ll admit)....

Read more: http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/iron-man-3-review/
  62. May 6, 2013
    While some of the action scenes were quite spectacular, and up there with some of the biggest action films of recent years, the film overall felt very shallow and wayward and lacked any kind of real soul behind the fancy shots. Robert Downey Jr played a more vunerable Iron Man this time, which was a nice change, and Ben Kingsley pulled up a fantastic character double in The Mandarin. GuyWhile some of the action scenes were quite spectacular, and up there with some of the biggest action films of recent years, the film overall felt very shallow and wayward and lacked any kind of real soul behind the fancy shots. Robert Downey Jr played a more vunerable Iron Man this time, which was a nice change, and Ben Kingsley pulled up a fantastic character double in The Mandarin. Guy Pearce as well, was fairly entertaining, but begun to tread heavily in the cliched towards the end. The plot holes run thick throughout, and I never really felt any concern for any character throughout the film this time. A really disappointing outcome, for what was otherwise a decent comic book series. Expand
  63. May 24, 2013
    With less focus put on the "Iron Man" himself and more emphasis put on the Tony Stark character it is easy to see why people may not like this film in comparison to the heavy action-fighting of the previous two stories. I personally like that they took the time to develop a story that does not focus solely on the suit, but delves to reveal the inner character of the man beneath it. WeWith less focus put on the "Iron Man" himself and more emphasis put on the Tony Stark character it is easy to see why people may not like this film in comparison to the heavy action-fighting of the previous two stories. I personally like that they took the time to develop a story that does not focus solely on the suit, but delves to reveal the inner character of the man beneath it. We see in this movie that Iron Man is a facade, a persona put on by a man to hide his inner demons and fears. The tie in with the Avengers movie helped the story quite a bit and it was easy to empathize with a clearly vulnerable character who seemed so invulnerable in previous iterations.
    There is substantial story here which is why I think a lot of fanbois have rated this movie so poorly. They clearly wanted to see Iron Man launching missiles and blowing stuff up rather than dealing with his anxiety and frustrations. Personally this type of movie is far truer to the comics than any other and gives it a much more real feel. Iron Man is a man first and foremost, without the suit he isn't capable of laying waste to his foes and even when in the suit the weight of his humanity can still bear down on him and leave him vulnerable. This is the Iron Man I want to see more of, though it seems unlikely there will be much more of it.
    With that said I have to say that it's main weakness is that it delves a bit too deeply into the life of Tony Stark, to the point where it seems the action of the movie plods a little. There were a few scenes that could have been cut to streamline the movie and keep the focus on the action a bit more. I praise it for it's focus on character development, but there is such a thing as too much "whining".
    All in all this is a solid film, the people giving this 1 or 0 as a rating are obviously just angry that it is not a shot for shot remake of Iron Man 2 with robots annihilating each other. If that is what you want then wait for the god awful looking "Pacific Rim" to come out and enjoy your robots, but if what you want is a true sense of who Iron Man is and what the comic has always tried to reveal to its readers, then Iron Man 3 is the best of the series to date.
  64. May 5, 2013
    it would be easy 8/9 if they keep the character's development into the real track, since my first reason watching this (beside all the armor action and vfx stuffs) was curious how do they keep the mandarin (which is using magic stuffs) fits into the iron man world, instead getting an awesome answer, i got a very disappointing twist. nevertheless, Ben's acting was awesome, i do hope thatit would be easy 8/9 if they keep the character's development into the real track, since my first reason watching this (beside all the armor action and vfx stuffs) was curious how do they keep the mandarin (which is using magic stuffs) fits into the iron man world, instead getting an awesome answer, i got a very disappointing twist. nevertheless, Ben's acting was awesome, i do hope that this guy will be revealed as the real mandarin on avengers 2. finger crossed. Expand
  65. May 9, 2013
    I thought the movie was cool, funny and packed with action.
    The only thing I didn't like was American style super hero undermining other nationalities as if they were nothing, other than that good watch
  66. May 5, 2013
    Personally, this was my favorite installment of the Iron Man franchise. Does it feel like an Iron Man movie? Not really.Is it darker than the first two? Yes.

Iron Man 3 is definitely "A Shane Black Movie" rather than "A Marvel Movie" as his trademarks are "All over* this, but I enjoyed it a lot. I've seen other reviews that disliked the fact that it was so heavy and serious, but I have to disagree with that crowd, even though I can understand where they're coming from. The words "Dark and serious" mixed with "Superhero" don't exactly make sense. These types of movies are supposed to be relatively light and filled with nifty action sequences.

But if there's one character in the Marvel Universe that deserves to have the darker side of his story told; it's Tony Stark. They attempted to do so in Iron Man 2 with the hints of alcoholism and impending death, but failed---miserably in my opinion. With Iron Man 3, we get more into the modern day comics (Namely Matt Fraction's first few volumes of The Invincible Iron Man and Warren Ellis' beautifully written Extremis arc).

Again, I've seen reviews that didn't like the tone of the film, but I loved it! I liked the fact that we get to see Tony broken and vulnerable. It proves that, even though he's a superhero with awesome tech, he still still struggles with anxiety, guilt and other things like a "normal" person does. It humanizes him and given what he went through in "The Avengers", I found it to be a welcome change. I'm really happy that they chose to deal with his issues directly rather than sweeping them under the rug and forgetting about them altogether. We see Tony dealing with these issues and feelings all the time in the comics, so why not try it out on the screen?

As for it not following the comics: This is one *Major* gripe I've seen people have with the movie. I'll admit, I thought the plot would focus more heavily on the Extremis virus and how Tony integrates it into himself than it did, but it didn't really bother me too much. The thing I think people are most disappointed in (But nobody is brave enough to say) is both "The Twist" with the Mandarin (which has plenty of critics, but I think the real reason for the disappointment is with Extremis) and the fact that when the word "Extremis" was uttered, everyone thought they'd be getting something closer to Warren Ellis' storyline and they didn't.

About the only thing that bothered me was the use of flashbacks because it messed with the whole cinematic timeline of Iron Man as we know him, so there are a number of plotholes and inconsistencies throughout and if you're a die hard Iron Man comic person, that'll drive you crazy.

However, I still found it to be really enjoyable, plotholes and all. It's a fun and entertaining movie and in my view a great way to get the summer started! So if you can live with the fact there are plotholes and just have fun with it, it's a great movie. I recommend it!
  67. May 5, 2013
    Look, I know what they did to the Mandarin but that has nothing to do with how good (or not good) the movie was. It is almost on par with the first one and is a large improvement over the second. The pacing of this movie made it constantly entertaining. When all the cards are on the table, it is a MOVIE first and not a comic book. Shane Black has provided a fresh movie for the MCU. I wishLook, I know what they did to the Mandarin but that has nothing to do with how good (or not good) the movie was. It is almost on par with the first one and is a large improvement over the second. The pacing of this movie made it constantly entertaining. When all the cards are on the table, it is a MOVIE first and not a comic book. Shane Black has provided a fresh movie for the MCU. I wish it would have given a little more info on future installments but I understand why it didn't. Expand
  68. May 5, 2013
    THE GOOD: Iron Man 3's first premise was to have characters not only stepping out of the shadows, but back into the shadows as the aftermath of The Avenger's eats away at a once over proud Tony Stark. His struggle throughout adds so much more development to the character and truly makes him feel more human than the vain main-man we are used to seeing.
    The villain aspect, albeit untrue to
    The villain aspect, albeit untrue to an extent, is still refreshing for someone who knows about the comic equivalent but isn't a complete fanboy that will pick holes. Everyone to their own, but I would much rather see a film that surprises me than one where I'm given the outcomes I expect.
    Generally, cinematography, sound and every other technical aspect are what you would expect from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or any other high budget movie for that matter; from loud, intense action sequences to the slower moments filled with emotion.

THE BAD: I can't completely justify their treatment of the villain being a comic book fan, although refreshing and unexpected what infuriates me the most is the plot holes/unjustified use of references to 'The Ten Rings' in previous movies.
    Although Tony Stark was, for the first time since the opening sequence of the first movie, emotionally human again, they jam packed this film full of Robert Downey Jr's humour even in moments where it wasn't necessary. I know he has a charm that suits Tony Stark perfectly and don't need to be reminded of it every second of every movie, even in potentially life threatening situations. I understand heroes are bad***, but they are meant to be relate-able too.

OVERALL: This movie is definitely worth a go, even for the sceptical comic book fans as this isn't an adaptation of a single comic storyline, but more of a different interpretation of the character and the foes he faces.
    With the premise of rotating characters to and from the shadows, let's not forget that Iron Man 3 is living in the shadows of 2012's comic book movie explosion, I think expectations may have been set a little high but Iron Man 3 tries it's best and delivers as much as possible.
  69. May 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was some what of a mixed bag, the misuse of Sir Ben Kingsley, though his performance was very very memorable in an unpredictable way, was a main area of disappointment for Iron Man 3. In my opinion Shane Black and co should have stuck closer to the source material of the comic books and had The Mandarin played out in a truer to the origin form. My reason for this is Ben Kingsley's performance in the transmission interruptions were frighteningly impressive and an actor of that stature should not have been so sorely misused. On the contrary, Stark's interactions with Harley were a high point of the film as were the special effects, and the post-credit scene with Dr. Banner was a nice touch. All in all, the movie was an interesting spectacle but I am left with the question of what could have been? Expand
  70. May 7, 2013
    For me it just got a “good” rating and nothing more.

The reason I cannot give it more is because of the following.... The Mandarin is an Ancient Mystic being from the Orient who has been able to harness special ancient mystic powers into forged rings that were made from swords, shields and even crowns of many historical warriors and kings. In the 1960's, 70's and early 80's The
    For me it just got a “good” rating and nothing more.

The reason I cannot give it more is because of the following....

In the 1960's, 70's and early 80's The Mandarin was to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman.

He has the demeanor of Darth Vader.....The guy in the movie had the demeanor of Cheech from Cheech and Chong. As My Wife would say....."Really ?"

Tony knows Technology and Science but not the Mystic Arts and Magic which makes the Mandarin a worthy opponent.

The movie started as though The Mandarin was going the main villain and Aldridge (AIM) was the secondary villain (or lack thereof).
    It was the complete opposite. In fact, The Mandarin was some kind of hoax and comedy relief. Let alone they made him kind of like a Saudi that was in hiding that Tony found like when the US troops found Osama Bin Laden.

The action was good and worth seeing for the CGI effects but nothing else !
    Seems as though the primary focus during production was the technology and CGI effects.
    The story was secondary which made a lack of a major plot and thus suffered.

Maybe since I am a die-hard comic fan I am over analyzing this…maybe not.

Oh well, At least we have Superman next month, Wolverine in July and Thor in November.
  71. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love iron man 3, I really do but it falls flat when the mandarin is not the mandarin if you get what i mean. I absolutely loved the evil terrorist looking character. But when they changed that it really pissed me of. But it was still a great time and i did like it. Expand
  72. May 12, 2013
    It is really fun and very enjoyable. The visual effect are very Well done but is a normal movie. The movie is not an spectacular movie but is really run to all family
  73. May 13, 2013
    German: Der Film ist wirklich gut gelungen. Leider bei weitem nicht so gut wie der erste Teil. Leider lohnt es sich NICHT den Film in 3D anzugucken, da die Effekte im besten Fall mittelmäßig sind.

Fazit: Für einen DVD-Abend auf der Couch super aber geht für das Geld lieber in Star Trek (ist der viel bessere Actionfilm und nicht nur was für Trekies)
  74. May 13, 2013
    This was s good way to spend a Saturday night there was a lot of action let me just say that again there was a hell of a lot of action through out the movie and it was very well done As I've been telling everyone else its better then two but not as good a one so go in with that mind set and you will have a good time with the film (unless your a die hard iron man fan then you willThis was s good way to spend a Saturday night there was a lot of action let me just say that again there was a hell of a lot of action through out the movie and it was very well done As I've been telling everyone else its better then two but not as good a one so go in with that mind set and you will have a good time with the film (unless your a die hard iron man fan then you will probably hate it Expand
  75. May 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was a very interesting movie, and the action/comedy was great. The storyline was, however, slightly anticlimactic for it's standard and hype, but that isn't a debilitating thing about the movie. Even though I thought some parts of the movie were a bit unrealistic (won't spoil it for the rest of the people waiting to watch), that's acceptable in an action movie. Downey Jr. did aIron Man 3 was a very interesting movie, and the action/comedy was great. The storyline was, however, slightly anticlimactic for it's standard and hype, but that isn't a debilitating thing about the movie. Even though I thought some parts of the movie were a bit unrealistic (won't spoil it for the rest of the people waiting to watch), that's acceptable in an action movie. Downey Jr. did a respectable job for his share of acting. Expand
  76. May 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3, while not being better than the original Iron Man, is far improved when compared to Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. is in his typical smart-alec humorist, narcissistic, bad ass mantra, while this time developing more of a heart as his relationship with people and Pepper blossom. The action in this film is extremely intense and blood pumping, while not over powering the plot. TheIron Man 3, while not being better than the original Iron Man, is far improved when compared to Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. is in his typical smart-alec humorist, narcissistic, bad ass mantra, while this time developing more of a heart as his relationship with people and Pepper blossom. The action in this film is extremely intense and blood pumping, while not over powering the plot. The plot is equally enthralling, leaving you on the edge of your seat, but giving you enough dramatic irony to make you empathize with the characters. Tony Starks interplay with the boy in Tennessee is charming, and enough to make the most judgmental appreciate Tony Stark. Ben Kingsley's cameo is brilliant and hysterical. Sadly I'm left wondering how Iron Man really gets the bad guys, it just kind of... happens. Overall, good movie. amongst the best superhero movies being made currently. Not a spectacular, but still a great movie. Expand
  77. May 14, 2013
    In this years Hollywood creates a good film about Marvel Heroes, Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr is a concrete and perfect opera, beautiful in every facet. But in this case as always happens the sequels are
    awfully undertone. Film for business anything else
  78. May 15, 2013
    The return of Iron Man is always full of surprises with this new result was no different. With great visual effects that follow the same pattern as the previous films, action to stay toltamente dazzled and magnetic charisma of Tony Stark complete the film. But in Quisito script the film was a bit weak compared to the others, if I had a script a bit more coherent film could be a moreThe return of Iron Man is always full of surprises with this new result was no different. With great visual effects that follow the same pattern as the previous films, action to stay toltamente dazzled and magnetic charisma of Tony Stark complete the film. But in Quisito script the film was a bit weak compared to the others, if I had a script a bit more coherent film could be a more complete but was not Expand
  79. May 16, 2013
    A solid action movie with great visuals and fun humour. While Robert Downey Jr. plays his role excellently, the supporting cast fails to inspire. Furthermore, the villain and prime predicament are generally uninteresting.

The main components that will keep you involved in this movie is its great action, stunning visuals (recommended: watch in 3D!), clever humour, and overall blockbuster feel to it.
    Don't expect a hugely innovative movie here (as Iron Man 1 was); this movie is highly enjoyable to watch with friends. It's a good movie for a weekend outing, but rather forgettable.
  80. May 19, 2013
    Really enjoyed this movie! Great visuals along with great sound effects. It also incorporated the avengers which was a nice spin. The adult puns were fantastic. Although I really wasn't a fan of the last two movies, this one turned out pretty good! Good family movie!
  81. May 16, 2013
    The trailer looked like absolute crap. Typical story, typical bad guy, typical typical typical. But after seeing the movie it was actually quite suprising. The plot was very good en the humor was better then expected. On the other hand there where some things that were rubbish (people who've seen the movie will know what i mean). Oh well, it makes you forget about the terrible ironman 2The trailer looked like absolute crap. Typical story, typical bad guy, typical typical typical. But after seeing the movie it was actually quite suprising. The plot was very good en the humor was better then expected. On the other hand there where some things that were rubbish (people who've seen the movie will know what i mean). Oh well, it makes you forget about the terrible ironman 2 and still makes you love tony stark. Expand
  82. Jun 8, 2013
    It's an enjoyable movie, yet somewhat predictable. Robert Downey Jr. was great as Tony Stark/Ironman yet again. The villains weren't anything special and the ending could have been better. But I liked the whole Tony/Pepper dynamic and the action sequences were good. Overall, I would say it's fairly light on plot, but with solid action and acting, it isn't a bad movie. It isn't great,It's an enjoyable movie, yet somewhat predictable. Robert Downey Jr. was great as Tony Stark/Ironman yet again. The villains weren't anything special and the ending could have been better. But I liked the whole Tony/Pepper dynamic and the action sequences were good. Overall, I would say it's fairly light on plot, but with solid action and acting, it isn't a bad movie. It isn't great, but it is enjoyable. Expand
  83. May 17, 2013
    The problem with Iron Man 3 is that it missed countless opportunities to great, and is no where near as engaging as some of the recent superhero flicks, but its still an entertaining summer blockbuster with some excellent set pieces. But be prepared, you will be disappointed.
  84. May 19, 2013
    This was a good movie but it disappointed too many people by not following the comic. The fake Mandarin thing was a real disappointment and I'm disappointed with the change of War Machine. War Machine looked so much better in the 2nd movie and it wasn't even that good in that movie. They should have improved him even if he is not the focus. But if you ignore the comics, this is actually aThis was a good movie but it disappointed too many people by not following the comic. The fake Mandarin thing was a real disappointment and I'm disappointed with the change of War Machine. War Machine looked so much better in the 2nd movie and it wasn't even that good in that movie. They should have improved him even if he is not the focus. But if you ignore the comics, this is actually a good movie. If you are not an Iron Man fan then the twist will just make you laugh. Though this movie didn't really have a climax it still had a good Suits vs Monster scene. Would have been better if they concentrated on that fight than the Tony fight but its still good. They showed some tidbits of it. Overall a good movie. Expand
  85. May 19, 2013
    This movie IS NOT a direct adaption of either the Extremis or Mandarin story lines. And that is by no means a bad thing. I feel that anybody giving this movie a poor score does not understand the point of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is it's own universe, and doesn't completely follow the comics. Get over it. Yes, the comics are fantastic, but expecting these movies to have thoseThis movie IS NOT a direct adaption of either the Extremis or Mandarin story lines. And that is by no means a bad thing. I feel that anybody giving this movie a poor score does not understand the point of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is it's own universe, and doesn't completely follow the comics. Get over it. Yes, the comics are fantastic, but expecting these movies to have those exact same characters, story lines, and style is simply setting yourself up for disappointment. I will admit that the movie's biggest plot twist was a momentary let down for me. But then I began thinking, and realized how clever, risky, and bold it was of Marvel to do what they did. It froze the plot for a scene or two, but the rest of the movie easily regained that momentum. These movies are meant to be witty, action-packed entertainment. They've always been among the best as far as action movies go, and I for one was not disappointed by this movie. It was sweet to see Tony Stark in action outside of his suit, Guy Pierce and Ben Kingsley were great (while not spectacular) villains, and the plot twist may have been strange, but it certainly is not the movie breaking tragedy that fans are making it out to be. This movie has layers of greatness to it, and it's a shame to see people walk away disappointed from this film because they forget that it was exactly that; a film, and not an adapted motion comic. The Mandarin from the comics would not have fit to the Marvel Cinematic Universe at this point in its cycle, and the way they handled him was shocking and daring, but never felt disappointing. Accept this movie as its own creation, and if you've enjoyed the rest of these films, you will undoubtedly love it. Expand
  86. May 19, 2013
    I do see many bad parts of this movie such as chsy movie scenes I found over the top and stupid although I find excusable do to the great action and a tiny concept of a comedy movie. I enjoyed it mostly but found Robert Downy Jr.'s acting slopping to an end of the Iron Man series.
  87. May 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great start for summer movies, IM3 was amazing, heart throttling. If you only like superhero movies that gowith the comics I would not recommend. I mean I really wish they didn't do that to the mandarin other than that great movie. Expand
  88. May 29, 2013
    I saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster aI saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster a piping hot mess, indeed. Our new director on board is Shane Black and I must admit he did pretty good job in the way of characterizations in the first half of this flick. Tony's post traumatic stress disorder, from the events of 'The Avengers', was developing well. But, as the second half rolled in, things drastically change from being a character-centric event to a bloated non-stop action fest, which, mind you, wasn't even creatively staged. There seems to be a belief that more plot equals better story, but that bombardment of ineffective plot twists only regressed the story at hand. Being so focused on surprising the audience, I don’t think the writers were ever fully capable of telling a solid story and polishing the muddy motives of our paper thin villain. And I can’t leave here without mentioning those perennial bursts of “humor” which only functioned to pull the audience out of key dramatic moments. Overall the movie relied so heavily on build up but ultimately undid itself in several ways. This really showed how hollow this shiny hunk of metal really was. Expand
  89. May 22, 2013
    Another movie that wants to be The Dark Knight. Only it abandons that after awhile, and starts trying to be its own thing, which I can respect. These kinds of movies can use some more twists and surprises, which Shane Black delivers. Unfortunately, while it's funny in several places it's just not enough fun.
    I wouldn't call myself a Black Sabbath or an AC/DC fan, but there was something
    I wouldn't call myself a Black Sabbath or an AC/DC fan, but there was something pretty great about Robert Downey flying around to it previously that doesn't happen in the third film.

No, the third film wants to be serious. Except it doesn't. You can't have it all.
  90. May 24, 2013
    I don't understand why people don't grasp the concept that this is a movie, and not everything has to be identical to the comics. The movie does a great job of taking characters created 60 years ago and turning them into believable in our time. If your complaint is misdirection, get over it. That was the point, to provide an experience, not cater to every comic fans need to be exactly likeI don't understand why people don't grasp the concept that this is a movie, and not everything has to be identical to the comics. The movie does a great job of taking characters created 60 years ago and turning them into believable in our time. If your complaint is misdirection, get over it. That was the point, to provide an experience, not cater to every comic fans need to be exactly like the comic. Expand
  91. May 25, 2013
    This is now one of my most favorite movies of all time! Iron Man is my favorite Marvel hero, besides Wolverine, and this was the best of them all! Going to see it again, this time in 3D!
  92. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This part is second best from trilogy, after 1st. Whole movie is about Tony Stark not the Iron Man. This change made movie look less superhero and showed us much more jokes and funny atmosphere. The trick with villain was really something, I haven t expected such thing.

So movie is easy watching and you can laugh during watch, don t expect much from it. But considering that this is last part, I am bit disappointed.
  93. May 30, 2013
    The Mandarin idea was an interesting choice for a country that is in fear of terrorism. The interpseudoism that scares the viewer into believing a terrorist attack is possible is clearly a retention method. Consumption keeps the economy revolving.
  94. Jun 1, 2013
    this is one blockbuster comic book movie that actually felt a bit left field at times. maybe its a strength. i really enjoyed the pepper side plot and the one with the boy makes sense.
  95. Jun 2, 2013
    You can be the most arrogant man in the world parading around with your money, telling the National guard to suck it...Bud when you Get Pummeled by a God, Fix an invisible ship, and warp into outer space to save the world, you might get knocked down a peg or two ...

Iron Man 3 I guess now that I am reviewing this I am going to have to review the entire trilogy so be ready for

Iron Man 3

I guess now that I am reviewing this I am going to have to review the entire trilogy so be ready for Those Posts. So to me this movie is a sequel of two movies, Iron Man, and the Avengers. Why, because the Director, Shane Black is smart and he understands that that bore fest Iron Man 2 Never existed. So let us get on with the review of the movie that launched our SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER SEASON!!!

Cast and Crew

Iron Man 3 stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyeth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Peirce, and Ben Kingsley. The movie is Directed by Shane Black, the mind behind Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Lethal Weapon 2, and The Screenplay writer of "Last Action Hero" ....

Well he wrote the Screenplay, he didn't direct the Last Action Hero. Shane Black is more known for his quick and smart dialogue. This is a style that you would understand if you watch "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (I recommend it). So how did Shane Black handle the summer Epic? Pretty well. The Directer worked with Downy Jr. Before and knows how to utilize the guy. The Cast is Phenomenal with Don Cheadle doing a much better job as the Iron Patriot. As a fan service, he still sees himself as a war machine....ooooh speaking of fan service. I'll save that part for later :D

The Story
    Iron Man 3 is the story of Tony Stark post Avengers incident. Tony is left legitimately frightened after the incident in New York city that changes his life. Tony is left to his thoughts when a terrorist who calls himself the Manderine starts attacking LA. Now Tony has to face the Maderine while trying to battle with his own demons.
    That is the story and the story is great but there is an issue within the story that will inevitably divide the fans of this movie. Many who watched the movie know exactly what I am talking about but since the problem didn't piss me off to the core I will not spoil it. Of course I will have to create a retrospective post where I will get spoilerific about this movie. The story is good. It is exiting, Iron man is faced with a real threat and while you aren't left thinking "how the hell is Tony going to win?" you do still feel that he is facing a real and dangerous threat.

Presentation
    The Special effects and acting in this film is great. This is mostly due to the fact that Shane Black Utilizes a lot of Tony Stark in this film. This movie really brings the audience closer to the type of individual Tony is and I really liked that about this film. The Direction pulled out all the stops to show that these movies are not all about a CGI tin man that can fly, it is about Tony Stark. The performances are great and the movie makes good with showing you this. My only problem with the presentation was the inability to demonstrate certain things in a light that won't piss off the fans. I have a feeling I know where the story because of my knowledge of the franchise and its film adaptation. However, liberties were taken that make me fully understand that fans will be pissed and that all falls in the hands of the presentation.

The Rating
    After going to the theater to see this I am totally pumped for the summer season. Iron Man 3 has its problems has its problems but totally outshines part 2, and in some instances the first instalment as well. I still don't agree with some of the choices and chances the movie takes but those choices actually benefited the film. Angry Fans, all can say is remember Iron Man because the first instalment took liberties and facilitated in cheap propaganda. The ending was even a bit anti-climactic as well. this movie was well structured well played, and well presented and it was a totally fun watch. I am a stickler for source material so that will definitely knock this movie down a peg from being delicious. Iron Man 3 was certainly a tasty treat and

Great Tasting

96. Jun 14, 2013
    Complete garbage of a movie. This is a movie in which hollywood completely is milking the franchise and is just literally a set up movie for the avengers. No real thought into the main villain while destroying the mandarin which pretty much ruined this movie for me. I get the spin on mandarin but he is essential to the Ironman series, making a mockery out of him was a big no-no for anComplete garbage of a movie. This is a movie in which hollywood completely is milking the franchise and is just literally a set up movie for the avengers. No real thought into the main villain while destroying the mandarin which pretty much ruined this movie for me. I get the spin on mandarin but he is essential to the Ironman series, making a mockery out of him was a big no-no for an Ironman fan. The only reason why I didn't give it a zero is because of the suits and rdj. ALL IN ALL I'D RATHER WATCH PAINT DRY ON A WALL FOR 2 HOURS Expand
  97. Jun 15, 2013
    Too rated, boring, low action scenes. Only good is Robert and special effects. This is the point when MARVEL have to stop with this franchise. Could be better with a reboot.
  98. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hello! When I watch the 'Iron Man 3', was expecting to see a big order with big villains to begin with Mandarin could have been better presented, not shown as a bad comedian, moreover, the end left much to be desired, what happened to the romantic pair of Tony after the mutation suffered? What saves the film is the action scenes very well built. Expand
  99. Jun 21, 2013
    Unfocused in its purpose, plot, and characters, Iron Man 3 is ultimately a disappointment. Perhaps its only highlight was the action and explosions, typical of most action blockbusters. It does get credit for framing the tale in a manner that explores Tony Stark's issues in balancing his superhero persona and normality. Otherwise, the jokes are stale and the characters one-dimensional.Unfocused in its purpose, plot, and characters, Iron Man 3 is ultimately a disappointment. Perhaps its only highlight was the action and explosions, typical of most action blockbusters. It does get credit for framing the tale in a manner that explores Tony Stark's issues in balancing his superhero persona and normality. Otherwise, the jokes are stale and the characters one-dimensional. Neither the villain (The Mandarin) nor Tony Stark seem to have a legitimate motivation or back-story to make the conflict legitimate. In the end, it becomes apparent the movie was made only to make money. Expand
  100. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ten Reasons Iron Man 3 was an absolute disappointment. Ranked in no particular order.

1) No AC/DC

2) Replaced Tony's Alcholism with Anxiety Disorder

3) Mandarin was fake and was completely misleading in the trailer

4) Apparently the suits no require a "charge" rather than pulling energy from the ark

5) Tony destroys all his suit because his grilfriend says so...

6) Kills Iron Man, Tony removes the ark and scrapnel from his chest, that apparently could not be done in IM 1 or 2, even though the entire second movie was about the ark poisoning him...

7) Extremis Goons could apparently more easily destroy Iron Man armor than the god of Thunder

8) Should have been called "Tony Stark 1 I can't do anything I use to do and barely where my suit."

9) 70's Spy Movie Montage for Credits

10) Bruce Banner unknowingly making commentary on the terrible movie by falling asleep to Tony'y retelling of it.

This movie is a terrible conclusion to one of the best franchises. Just don't see it.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.