Iron Man 3

6.4

1. Aug 14, 2015
    "Iron Man 3" does leave a lot of obvious plot holes and poses many unanswered questions to its somewhat anticlimactic ending, but the movie still is a great action-packed superhero blockbuster thanks to the ever-perfect performance of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/ Ironman.
  2. Jun 6, 2013
    Even though Iron Man 3 is far superior than its predecessors, it still had some moments that reminded me of the bad things of the first 2. Altogether a well made film that incorporated more fluid action then Iron 1 and 2 combined.
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    The Irorn Man franchise is a huge franchise. You figured they'd be able to hire a good writer to give us a quality plot but sadly this is not the case. The plot is weak and rather predictable and it takes away from the film as a whole.

Absolutely hated the long run time. It really could have been a good 20-30 minutes shorter. All that unneeded filler during that time was sort of unneeded and it really hurt the film as a whole.

The action of the film is sort of disappointing as well. It's all flash with no real substance, Any on scene fight scenes generally range from a few seconds to a min (if that). It would have been nicer to see some more in-your-face fight scenes, Especially with Tony's (Iron Man) beef with the main villain.

The rest of the movie is pretty enjoyable. There is plenty of comedy through out, alright badly placed at times and it sort of throws off what should be key dramatic scenes. It's still enjoyable though and will get quite a few laughs from viewers. The acting is solid, no real complaints, I rather liked the additions of Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce as well.

Overall, I think the bits of comedy through out really save it but the long run time was a real killer for this movie.
  4. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is two different films the first half is a ten with all the cool dialogue and all those awesome Mandarin videos. I was getting so excited seeing such a great villain he seemed so menacing and seemed like we were headed for an epic battle and then the twist happens and the rest of the film is just a five. To me the film lost a lot if its heart except for some moments with Tony and Rhodes. Plus I know they acknowledged the Avengers several times, but with all Tony went through (even being presumed dead) your telling me not one of the Avengers would show up to help. I can understand no Hulk with all the destruction and unpredictability he brings and I can understand no Thor as he's hanging out on another planet, but we couldn't see Captain America or Hawkeye or finally Black Widow she was in the entire second one. So I would have liked to seen at least one. Overall Downey is at his best here and some of the stuff with the kid in Tennessee is fantastic, but the Mandarin twist and a lackluster second half drops this film to a seven. Expand
  5. May 8, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is dragged down by because of its uninteresting villains, but it still isn't enough to destroy the overall great entertainment value here. Sadly if you disliked Iron Man 2, you are likely to dislike Iron Man 3 as well.
  6. May 3, 2013
    Arriving before its North American landing, IRON MAN 3 pulls off a momentous debuting in its international market, I saw it in a plain 2D version and, about this franchise, IRON MAN (2008, 8/10) is a left field coup, a middle-aged superhero to clinch the youth-dominated market, only Robert Downey Jr. could nail it with dapper openness and wisecracking debonair. So within six years span, aArriving before its North American landing, IRON MAN 3 pulls off a momentous debuting in its international market, I saw it in a plain 2D version and, about this franchise, IRON MAN (2008, 8/10) is a left field coup, a middle-aged superhero to clinch the youth-dominated market, only Robert Downey Jr. could nail it with dapper openness and wisecracking debonair. So within six years span, a fourth cranked-out (if one counts THE AVENGERS 2012, 5/10) comes on strong this year to ignite the summer powder keg. Personally I skipped IRON MAN 2 (2010) though I still possess the DVD, and the only reason why IRON MAN 3 interests me is the Chinese element, reportedly three Chinese actors are on the slate of the cast, Xueqi Wang, Bingbing Fan and Jing Wu, but it turned out to be an utter scam, only Xueqi Wang appeared in about 3 seconds in 2 fleeting scenes with one line “Nihao” (“hello” in Mandarin) and so is Ben Kingsley’s “The Mandarin”, the ostensible ringleader of the terrorists (more Al-Qaeda than mandarin).

So what this new episode has offered to its devoted fanboys apart from the cookie-cutter template of the mega-Superhero action flicker? Since there are no succour from his fellow The Shields’ teammates, Iron Man 3 perfunctorily opts to mass-produce the iron-clad robots to rescue the world (perish the undying human mutants), a lame and opportunist move to simplify the mess it creates and spurn any logistic plausibility (at least notify us how to kill mutants for good since they can regenerate themselves under any terms of damage), not to mention the cliffhanging twist of Pepper Potts, maybe it is all written in the next sequel.

Fans will never get enough of raking and levelling, it is undeniable that the demolition of Stark’s mansion is visually stunning and apocalyptic, and the esprit-de-corps of the plane-wrecking rescue is also worth the wait (thanks to the telltale trailer), but in the end, the inevitable face-off is a kill-joy, compared with THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012, 8/10), IRON MAN 3 looks as feckless as a light-hearted comedy, and its success can mainly be indebted towards Mr. Downey’s omnipotent appeal, a rakish fop who owns everything and is sternly faithful to his partner (although a certain degree of promiscuity is a requisite), and more alluring, he can create superheroes.

Paltrow has more action sequences demanding out of her gaunt physique, and also shoulders a turnabout climax in the end, but still a trophy secretary-lover. Guy Pearce is a common-or-garden villain here (not as remotely interesting as in LAWLESS 2011, 8/10 last year), Ben Kinsley on the other hand, is the comic relief (besides Tony Stark) here, eccentrically inconsequential but a timely buffer from the intensified situation. Don Cheadle is ham-fisted as the other iron fighter and Rebecca Hall does evince cursory nuances for her expendable character. Among others, James Badge Dale (from SHAME 2011, 9/10 and FLIGHT 2012, 7/10) finally found his stepping-stone into mainstream showbiz, his indestructible henchman even makes his boss pale in comparison.

A puff of fresher air comes from the interaction between Stark and a fatherless boy (Ty Simpkins) at a rustic Tennessee setting, with jocular ripostes and a paternal bond affectingly enriches Tony Stark’s personality and one plainly wishes this part would be more to offer. However, as the turnover rate has been accelerated dramatically these years in the superhero assembly-line, IRON MAN 3 is a serviceable vehicle to appease its core audience’s anticipation, and if put into a larger picture, it is not innovate enough to be a game-changer as its prototype, it is just another helluva sequel, trite but lucrative. But it will be a sad sack if Mr. Downey keeps churning out the persona into his fifties, it could be a grand farewell for the trilogy, and future cameos are warmly welcome.
  7. May 3, 2013
    I liked it, didn't love it. Iron Man 3 takes a completely different approach than its predecessors did; in some ways it worked, but in some is did not. The best thing about the film, in my opinion, is that the character of Tony is completely stripped down and his relationship with Pepper gets some more depth; Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are better than ever in this installment.I liked it, didn't love it. Iron Man 3 takes a completely different approach than its predecessors did; in some ways it worked, but in some is did not. The best thing about the film, in my opinion, is that the character of Tony is completely stripped down and his relationship with Pepper gets some more depth; Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are better than ever in this installment. Such a human approach to the story does leave you wanting a little more at certain points. Apart from the the two main figures, the remaining characters (even the villains) are either underdeveloped or criminally underused. The final moments do deliver some excitement that the rest of the movie lacked. Overall, the result IS an entertaining superhero film even if it is slightly underwhelming. Expand
  8. May 22, 2013
    I don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fallI don't read Iron Man comic books so I cannot comment on how faithful the movie is, but taken on its own I thought it was a decent film. It has a lot of ludicrous, over the top moments, however I can forgive that since it is based on a comic book. For me, it was so over the top that it had more of a comic book feel than some of the other Marvel films I have seen. The movie would fall flat without Robert Downey's deadpan delivery, and there was nothing new in the plot that you haven't seen before other than the pieces of armor that automatically attach themselves to Iron Man. The 3-D and special effects were excellent and it was never boring. It was much better than the last installment. Expand
  9. Nov 13, 2014
    "Iron Man 3" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

"Iron Man 3" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: As expected, Downey, Jr showed once again why he was born to play Tony Stark. Paltrow and Cheadle nailed their respective roles once more, and newcomers Kingsley and Pearce put in their usual great performances. The effects were top notch and the storyline, based on the popular "Extremis" arc in the comics, was a great idea. The final battle was extremely well done and some of the new ways that the armor(s) were used was very creative.

The Bad: However, the villains left me more than little underwhelmed, despite the great performances from the actors involved. There was also a little too much wit and humor that at times felt out of place. I also wish that Stark had utilized the armor more as the scenes with him in Iron Man mode were too few and too short. Lastly, as a comic book nerd and a huge fan of Mandarin, I was not a fan of his portrayal. I don't want to ruin it for those who have not seen it, but I really wish that he had been as advertised.
  10. May 3, 2013
    While watching “Iron Man 3” you can think about many things like 1) How many iron man appear in the span of the movie? 2) How many crouch shots did director Shane Black plan? 3) How many of the few very funny lines were ad libbed by Robert Downey Jr. or written by co-screenwriters Mr. Black and Drew Pearce? 4) What’s the body count? 5) Are you going crazy because in the opening of theWhile watching “Iron Man 3” you can think about many things like 1) How many iron man appear in the span of the movie? 2) How many crouch shots did director Shane Black plan? 3) How many of the few very funny lines were ad libbed by Robert Downey Jr. or written by co-screenwriters Mr. Black and Drew Pearce? 4) What’s the body count? 5) Are you going crazy because in the opening of the film you thought the female was a brunette Gwyneth Paltrow? 5) Will Downey, Jr. ever do a non-action film and show his power as an actor like he did in “Charlie Chaplin” 6) How many films have been made in the past decade where the President of the United States has his life in danger?

None of the above will distract you from the film as the basics are old hat to anyone who has seen a Marvel comic book film or just the first two “Iron Man” movies. Yes there are the villains, Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce, who want to take over the world, Iron Man’s very smart girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow, multi, actually too many, special effects under the supervision of Dan Sudick, not to forget constant explosions, again a case of too many. The music is loud, too loud at times, but that is the nature of superhero movies. Also, true to the genre it is too long by about 15-20 minutes.

Robert Downey jr. looks very good with he sculptured beard and toned body. Gwyneth Paltrow’s role seems to be a bit longer in this third outing while Pearce and Kingsley are more than adequate as the mean guys. A standout is Ty Simpkins who is a young kid whose father has split and Tony Stark/Iron Man is his hero and he has a chance to help his hero. Jon Favreau as Tony’s head security, Don Cheadle as Col. Rhodes/War Machine, Rebecca Hall as a botanist and Paul Bettany, as the voice of a robo, give good support.

“Iron Man:3” is the first of many big blockbuster films coming down the pike this summer season and, already a big hit money wise, though a fast moving, entertaining film, hopefully not the best of them.
  11. Jun 10, 2013
    The movie was ok. I expected more. You know The Avengers style. It's not like that. It is entertaining to some points but in general i was disappointed with the movie as i expected more. However, it's fun to watch in the cinema. Hope if there's a next iron man will be better.
  12. Jan 11, 2014
    Anyone that has seen previous Marvel movies will find very little surprises in Tony Stark’s third outing and it is certainly as easy as ever to find plot holes if you really want to. Post Avengers it is also a little disappointing to see just one superhero on screen and there is just one line throwaway line that acknowledges rather than justifies the fact that his SHIELD buddies never showAnyone that has seen previous Marvel movies will find very little surprises in Tony Stark’s third outing and it is certainly as easy as ever to find plot holes if you really want to. Post Avengers it is also a little disappointing to see just one superhero on screen and there is just one line throwaway line that acknowledges rather than justifies the fact that his SHIELD buddies never show up to help.

There are also a few other issues stopping it from being amongst the top tier of comic book movies (the strange twist and the fact the he spends virtually none of the film in his suit for example) but Iron Man 3’s mix of humour and spectacular action sequences still makes for a fairly entertaining couple of hours and most viewers will enjoy what they see.
  13. May 7, 2013
    While clearly having its usual charismatic flair, Iron Man 3 doesn't succeed in all its attempt for Stark's solo career after The Avengers. It is however, entertaining enough to warrant audience's time with slightly darker tone and witty humor. Robert Downey, Jr has melt into the character so well, it's nigh impossible to imagine someone else portray Tony Stark. There are few memorableWhile clearly having its usual charismatic flair, Iron Man 3 doesn't succeed in all its attempt for Stark's solo career after The Avengers. It is however, entertaining enough to warrant audience's time with slightly darker tone and witty humor. Robert Downey, Jr has melt into the character so well, it's nigh impossible to imagine someone else portray Tony Stark. There are few memorable scenes aside from your usual humdrum explosions and they manage to differentiate the movie from its predecessor, but this also goes with awkward plot holes.

Recurring characters, such as Don Cheadle as Rhodes and Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper are so comfortable with their roles, it creates natural on-screen relationships with Tony Stark. This time Pepper has a lot more screen presence as she breaks out from her babysitter cocoon, and quiet frankly has her most substantial role in the franchise thus far. Ben Kingsley as Mandarin is somewhat over-the-top, borderline corny. I suppose they want it to be a surprise, but It could be perceive as shallow and demeaning to an already established character.

Guy Pearce as Aldrich Killian is vague, he provides better challenge than previous nemeses, but his motivation is superficial. It's utterly hard to imagine that a supervillain would arise from such trivial excuse. Script has its moments, mostly in accidental parental relationship between Stark and Harley, a kid who becomes temporary side-kick for Stark. I understand the need to humanize Stark, in short; taking the suit for some parts of the movie or make him deal with psychological repercussion of his actions, and mostly, it delivers.

Graphically, it suffices in rather predictable ways. The addition of 3D doesn't add much though, I have a harrowing feeling that there's cumbersome muddy visual all over the otherwise crisp effects. On top of that, there's not enough depth perception to fully utilize the 3D, I strongly urge to see the normal version instead. Action involves plenty of missiles, bullets and cannons being fired, as expected. There's admittedly clever gimmick for the suits usage, so it does break from simple combat.

Between the fast paced screen transition, there are some plot holes which may be convenient for the movie in the expense of giving any plausible explanation. Given the fresh changes, Iron Man 3 is a flawed movie, but one which isn't sorely lacking in entertainment value.
  14. Apr 22, 2015
    “When can we talk about the Avengers?” a preteen fanboy asks Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), his world-famous, terrorist-thwarting idol. The man inside the armor would rather change the subject, as the mere mention of “New York” or “wormhole” sends him spiraling into a panic attack. He’s haunted by the events of The Avengers, and so too is Iron Man 3, the first new Marvel movie released in“When can we talk about the Avengers?” a preteen fanboy asks Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), his world-famous, terrorist-thwarting idol. The man inside the armor would rather change the subject, as the mere mention of “New York” or “wormhole” sends him spiraling into a panic attack. He’s haunted by the events of The Avengers, and so too is Iron Man 3, the first new Marvel movie released in the wake of that record-smashing hit. Joss Whedon’s crossover bonanza was designed to replenish the franchises that fed into it, goosing interest in the subsequent solo outings of its respective heroes. That’s a sound business model, but a backfiring entertainment strategy. Here, it’s hard not to wish Downey were sparring with his costumed comrades again, instead of trading barbs with the far-less-colorful cast members—old and new—of this busy, sporadically diverting sequel.

As in Jon Favreau’s dismal Iron Man 2, there’s no shortage of supporting characters hovering around the eponymous mogul-inventor. Although they share second billing, Gwyneth Paltrow (as love interest and business partner Pepper Potts) and Don Cheadle (as the government-sponsored War Machine, re-christened “Iron Patriot” for PR reasons) drift to the margins of the narrative. More prominent are the heavies, dragged in to test the mettle (and metal) of Downey’s saintly yet sardonic billionaire. In a plot turn that recalls the fallen-hero trajectory of The Dark Knight Rises, the minions of a bearded tyrant called the Mandarin (Ben Kingsley, whose hamminess serves a covert purpose) blow Stark’s mansion to smithereens. There’s also a scorned, rat-bastard scientist (Guy Pearce at his oiliest), and a posse of molten-skinned henchmen better suited to an X-Men movie.

New to the field of comic-book spectacles, writer-director Shane Black keeps all of this chaos churning at a breakneck pace. Hints of the filmmaker’s personality poke through the Marvel house style: The bookending narration is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang redux, and only the man who penned Lethal Weapon would think to include a passage in which Cheadle and a de-armored, gun-toting Downey bicker like buddy cops. Black’s most endearing experiment, though, is divorcing Iron Man of his iron. Never is the film livelier than when its hero, stranded in the boonies without access to his toys, has to rely on quick thinking and the kindness of strangers. (Amusing as always in the role, Downey seems to relish his time out of the suit.)

Less successful is the mandatory CGI mayhem, staged more confidently than in the Favreau films, but still borderline incoherent. In two hours and change, Black mounts only one truly spectacular setpiece: the annihilation of Air Force One, and the daring midair rescue of its plummeting passengers. Playful and awe-inspiring, the sequence also doubles as a metaphor for the way Iron Man 3, in its desperate attempts to please, frantically juggles so many characters and crowd-pleasing components. Whedon, a true believer in the medium, made that balancing act look easy. Pity it’ll be another two years, and at least that many interim single-hero installments, before he gets the gang back together.

Very Disappointing
  15. Aug 9, 2014
    Not bad for an "Iron Man" film, but a bit pointless. What is the purpose of this film anyway? To simply catch the eye and make you laugh? A great disappointment should you think about "The Avengers". What "Iron Man" lacks is a message to its audience, that other films deliver, but, in any case, every film in the MCU has its own unique style, and this the "Iron Man" style. Enjoyable, butNot bad for an "Iron Man" film, but a bit pointless. What is the purpose of this film anyway? To simply catch the eye and make you laugh? A great disappointment should you think about "The Avengers". What "Iron Man" lacks is a message to its audience, that other films deliver, but, in any case, every film in the MCU has its own unique style, and this the "Iron Man" style. Enjoyable, but far from decent action flick. Expand
  16. Jan 6, 2014
    Iron Man 3 não foi o melhor filme de 2013 apesar da sua bilheteria, por isso se destaca como o mais fraco da trilogia
  17. BKM
    Sep 29, 2013
    The third installment in the Iron Man franchise more or less sticks to the formula that worked so well for the first two films. Robert Downey Jr. does all of the heavy lifting without ever breaking a sweat and the visual effects come fast and furious. There's nothing wrong with this installment, but nothing truly special either. It's essentially a two hour distraction while we wait forThe third installment in the Iron Man franchise more or less sticks to the formula that worked so well for the first two films. Robert Downey Jr. does all of the heavy lifting without ever breaking a sweat and the visual effects come fast and furious. There's nothing wrong with this installment, but nothing truly special either. It's essentially a two hour distraction while we wait for the next Avengers movie. Expand
  18. Sep 23, 2013
    My review could be biased since Iron Man has never been an appealing super hero to me. None of the movies have impressed me and this last one which closes the trilogy did not either. Strong points are the action sequences and visual effects and some comical scenes Iron man movies have offered in the whole trilogy. but apart from that there´s not more to it. The 3 of them are very simpleMy review could be biased since Iron Man has never been an appealing super hero to me. None of the movies have impressed me and this last one which closes the trilogy did not either. Strong points are the action sequences and visual effects and some comical scenes Iron man movies have offered in the whole trilogy. but apart from that there´s not more to it. The 3 of them are very simple movies when it comes to the script, there´s no heart in the characters, the love interest is totally bland, no strong villains and I could go on. I did not mind the Mandarin surprise, that is not the reason why this movie is average. And no amount of hype, budged and big box office success can change that. So many comic book movies superior to this out there. Expand
  19. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate theIron Man 3 is the beginning of the new summer blockbuster movie with Marvel fans are participating for the new sequel. The first Iron Man was the original classic superhero movie, the second one did alright, but even though the moviegoers didn't appreciate the sequel, and of course third one was okay. The story takes place where Iron Man/Tony Stark fights over Mandarin to assassinate the president with his reinforce baddies. Robert Downey Jr. returns as Tony Stark known as Iron Man is planning to make a new magnetize costume to suit it up, but overall he needs to spend time with his girlfriend (Gwyneth Paltrow) in the holidays. The two main villains are Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) are making an evil plan to kill Iron Man and to kill the president, but not Mandarin its Killian. The action scenes are spectacular and the effects are well done, but the only two good parts in this movie was Iron Man saves the passengers from the sky and Iron Man faces Killian at the docks with full of Iron suits. I would say that Shane Black did very well with the action scenes and the effects are good, but overall the movie wasn't that spectacular like most other Iron Man movies or even classic The Avengers. My main problem is that characters are a little bit too much, the lines are off charted, and sometimes it’s okay to check out the action scenes. It just difference between Stark with his girlfriend, Stark get complain with the little boy, Stark didn't realize that his old girlfriend works with Killian, or even the villain like Mandarin was a goof ball pretending a bad guy and just a fraud actor, but it needs to rewrite the lines and the story needs to take it seriously. Iron Man 3 was okay, but not is much. Thumb Down. Expand
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    so yeah, this one was terrible, it seems as if they shot each scene alone and forgot that all the scene are going to come together at the end and should make sense
    and the movie start off very lame as RWJ as the narrator who have no idea what to say relying on his ego
    and then he made a joke 5 seconds after his girlfriend just fall off 2000 feet and should be dead ? and you have a
    and you have a terrible performance from Guy Pearce who apparently can't Starr in a good movie recently,
    and the director trying so hard to bring himself on the screen in pointless scenes who add nothing to major all clusterfu**
    just stop this series already.
  21. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie isn't as good as the first Iron Man but better than Iron Man 2. Iron Man 3 has less humor and less action and it didn't follow the footsteps of the comic book story line, which is kind of disappointing. But on the other hand, I was entertained enough in Iron Man 3 with the dazzling visuals and good twists.
  22. Oct 16, 2013
    it is the biggest disappointment of a movie superheroes marvel,I can even have a little fun but still they do not take the film too seriously,too bad for marvel
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    Iron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron ManIron Man 3 has amazing effects and fine performances, but the story is what drags it down. It starts off well, testing Tony in ways the audience hasn't seen anymore, but quick fixes to the plot make these elements cliched and underdeveloped. The twist with the villain also ruined the movie, especially because Guy Pearce was not a good replacement for the Manderin. All in all, Iron Man fails to deliver anything worth watching, which is unfortunate after the success of phase 1 of Avengers filmed. Highly disappointed. Expand
  24. May 9, 2013
    I thought the movie was good. Robert Downy Jr was excellent. The plot line was a bit lame but what do you expect from a popcorn action movie when the hero knows all along he is not in any real danger. OK for a rainy Saturday afternoon.
  25. May 14, 2013
    La cosa migliore la sequenza dei titoli, posta in conclusione, costruita con immagini provenienti da tutti e tre gli episodi della serie e montate a ritmo adrenalinico secondo uno stile da telefilm anni Settanta, il tutto accompagnato dalla roboante colonna sonora di Brian Tyler. Con un nuovo regista e sceneggiatore mentre il vecchio, Jon Favreau, si tenuto il piccolo ruolo di HappyLa cosa migliore la sequenza dei titoli, posta in conclusione, costruita con immagini provenienti da tutti e tre gli episodi della serie e montate a ritmo adrenalinico secondo uno stile da telefilm anni Settanta, il tutto accompagnato dalla roboante colonna sonora di Brian Tyler. Con un nuovo regista e sceneggiatore mentre il vecchio, Jon Favreau, si tenuto il piccolo ruolo di Happy Hogan, il terzo capitolo dedicato a Iron Man (ma io sono all’esordio, per me ‘Iron man’ la canzone dei Black Sabbath) stato pensato e costruito come un blockbuster e il suo mestiere lo fa bene, seppur non andando troppo per il sottile: due ore filate in cui l’azione a fare la parte del leone, con solo qualche momento qua e là per riuscire a tirare il fiato. Si confermano le tendenze dei film di supereroi degli ultimi tempi: il protagonista tende ormai alla mezza età e comincia a essere stanco (anche perché soffre di attacchi di panico lascito della lotta contro gli alieni di ‘The avengers’) ma finisce per trovarsi a lottare basandosi più che altro sulle proprie forze e la propria intelligenza perché gli aggeggi di cui si circonda fanno cilecca più del dovuto. Se vero che Tony Stark meno problematico di alcuni suoi colleghi, ha più di loro il dono dell’ironia, grazie anche alla capacità di sdrammatizzare di Downey jr. che riesce a funzionare pure quando ripreso in primo piano all’interno di una delle sue armature (specie quando intrappolato nella non proprio perfetta Mk42). Attorno a lui, tutto il cast dà l’impressione di divertirsi parecchio: Paltrow ha ammesso in un’intervista che lavorare in una pellicola del genere rilassa, mentre Ben Kingsley sfrutta alla perfezione la parte del Mandarino, in cui può gigioneggiare in libertà, tifare per il Liverpool e ammiccare, nella sua ultima scena, a ‘Viale del tramonto’. La sceneggiatura non si fa certo mancare le citazioni, anche se qualcuna si perde nel doppiaggio, ma ha il pregio di tenere un buon ritmo sapendo distribuire tocchi di commedia: l’importante non domandarsi come possano succedere così tante cose in così poco tempo (a parte un prologo, tutta la storia si svolge a Natale) per non parlare di una successione dei fatti che non si preoccupa sempre di avere una logica e di uno sviluppo che non concretizza tutte le premesse. Niente da dire, invece, sugli effetti speciali, che per una volta non sono curati dalla Industrial Light & Magic: notevoli anche se tirate un po’ per le lunghe (il prezzo da pagare alle copie in 3D?) sono sia la distruzione della villa di Stark, sia il gran finale nel porto, in cui, seppure a fatica, infine defunge il cattivone di turno Guy Pearce comincia ad essere abbonato ai ruoli di villain. Nelle sequenze conclusive c’è un tirare le fila di tutti i personaggi, con quello principale che pare decidersi a ripensare la propria esistenza con annesso rapporto di coppia: non essendo Bruce Wayne, però, finirà per ritornare, come difatti scritto dopo gli interminabili titoli di coda. Il rullo sembra davvero infinito, ma vale la pena aspettare che scorra non solo per leggere la promessa di una nuova puntata, ma anche per vedere la breve scena che conclude il tutto con un ultimo sorriso Expand
  26. May 31, 2013
    The story is a mixed of copy paste from Megamind ,Amazing spider man and Heroes.One of the lame super hero films with useless acting and stupid screen play.Hardly and 3D effects that also lame.Certainly not worth the hype and this is a orphan child of The avangers .Stay home and barrow Blueray later.
  27. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Originally I really wanted to see this movie, but as it came closer to release date I started losing interest. I ended up seeing it during memorial day weekend, and it was a full house. I just finished it and I have a bit to say. First of all, horrible way of hiding the villain, the minute you see him you can tell he's the villain, they did the same thing in Batman forever. The bad guys Tony has to fight are unclear, in how to kill. They get shot in the head and even get caught in explosions, but they still don't die. Only when they get hit through the chest do they finally die, also the effect they use for them doesn't look that great. The fact that nobody could figure out how the Manderin Attacks occur; even though we see how in the first 15-20 minutes, until a little too late in the film is a bit infuriating. The fact that Tony can now remotely control the suits almost makes him unimportant because now he doesn't have to put himself in danger anymore. Finally the most biggest complaint I have is the fact that Robert Downey Jr doesn't do his normal likeable performances, but feels more like he's on auto-pilot. This is pretty important to like the main character, especially when it's talking about his life story. I guess I should say some positive things about this flick. I like some of the effects like always, but doesn't have that same charm that the first one does. Some of the action scenes are pretty good, the airplane scene in particular is well done. The ending fight with the suits vs the Extremis soldiers is okay, but is bit messy to. At last I think Ben Kingsly performance as an actor is funny; him being a terrorist not so much, I'm glad that they didn't try too make him so serious and decided not make anything possibly offensive. In the end this film is really different from what I expected, what I got wasn't all too bad, but I wanted something else. Expand
  28. Mar 20, 2015
    Everybody knows this, Iron Man is one of the most popular characters from Marvel...his movies so far have been alright. 'Iron Man' (2008) has been absolutely amazing, a great addition to the Marvel canon and a great way to establish the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then came 'Iron Man 2' (2010) which was a different story, while not overly terrible...it was simply a mediocre sequel that hadEverybody knows this, Iron Man is one of the most popular characters from Marvel...his movies so far have been alright. 'Iron Man' (2008) has been absolutely amazing, a great addition to the Marvel canon and a great way to establish the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then came 'Iron Man 2' (2010) which was a different story, while not overly terrible...it was simply a mediocre sequel that had a forgettable villain, and was just filler until 'The Avengers' (2012) was released.

'Iron Man 3' is a film that started off with promise...but after the first hour and maybe a few minutes, it went from a strong 9 to a 6 out of 10.

Robert Downey Jr. does not disappoint as Tony Stark aka "Iron Man", he is building more suits, but for some reason, he's lost his spark. His suits are not the kind of strong, powerful suits that he made in previous films.

Guy Pearce plays a man named Aldrich Killian, a once eager businessman who met Stark back in New Year's Eve 1999, but was turned down and now he plans revenge on him.

Gwyneth Paltrow returns as Pepper Potts, she is concerned for Stark since the events in 'The Avengers' (2012) and he is suffering from constant panic attacks and anxiety issues.

Ben Kingsley tackles the role of the Mandarin, one of Iron Man's biggest enemies, anyone who has read the comic books will know.

My issue with this movie is the villain, without spoiling too much, Ben Kingsley is criminally underused as the Mandarin. Plus, that unsuspected twist was absolutely unnecessary.

It feels like Marvel knew that everybody was going to see this movie after how big 'The Avengers' (2012) was. It seems like they only care for box-office openings, so they can do whatever they want to the story and not care because this movie will do well in the box-office.

I felt like an idiot for seeing this movie, but the only good things in it was the action, they're still as dazzling as ever and Downey Jr. never fails to please the fans.

Overall, I've seen this movie a couple of times, it's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it's not one I'll be watching more times in the future.
  29. May 9, 2013
    I'll put it as bluntly and as simply as I can; It's not what you expect. The jokes come off strained and poorly written, and the story leaves a lot to be desired. Still, the visuals are amazing, and so is the music (although the lack of AC/DC was somewhat disappointing).
  30. May 13, 2015
    First off, I would like to say that I was surprised by how much Christmas kept coming up in this movie. I'm sure it made more sense and seemed more natural when it first came out, but since I was watching it in a string of Marvel movies in May, it just seemed oddly time-specific compared to most Marvel movies. The conceit of having a bunch of other people use the suits was fun, but IFirst off, I would like to say that I was surprised by how much Christmas kept coming up in this movie. I'm sure it made more sense and seemed more natural when it first came out, but since I was watching it in a string of Marvel movies in May, it just seemed oddly time-specific compared to most Marvel movies. The conceit of having a bunch of other people use the suits was fun, but I don't think it worked that well to carry the movie. I can't think of things that were specifically wrong with this movie compared to the others--it had a lot of the same elements of the other Iron Man movies, but somehow it just didn't add up in the same way. It's still good, and it has the same sassy Tony Stark (seeing him interact with a child was maybe the best part of the movie), but it just wasn't as compelling as the first two in the series. Expand
  31. May 4, 2014
    Iron man fans should feel cheated and so should audiences. The trailer made this movie look very adult and mature only to see the film and realize its the complete opposite. Its a very boring movie that takes characters and ruins them. Sorry Tony, maybe your solo film days are done...
  32. Jun 11, 2013
    Here's the deal.. Iron man 1 was a very good movie that made all it's fans happy. Iron man 2 was kind of a downhill since iron man 1's success and I am not talking about it's box office; I'm talking about the plot. Iron man 3 shows sketchiness and a poor plot. Sure, the ending was fantastic with the whole iron man customs but if you really think about it, it was an average movie.. nothingHere's the deal.. Iron man 1 was a very good movie that made all it's fans happy. Iron man 2 was kind of a downhill since iron man 1's success and I am not talking about it's box office; I'm talking about the plot. Iron man 3 shows sketchiness and a poor plot. Sure, the ending was fantastic with the whole iron man customs but if you really think about it, it was an average movie.. nothing amazing but at the same time nothing boring. Okay now the box office: I went crazy when I found out that this movie made a billion in the box office that's 400 million dollars more than iron man 2. Overall, it wasn't that interesting but it also wasn't that bad! Expand
  33. Oct 6, 2013
    I was sadly disappointed by Iron Man 3. Maybe because I was expecting too much out of it. I didn't get as much Tony sass I as hoped for. I just felt like it was missing something along the way. I did still enjoy Iron Man 3. I liked how it tied back to The Avengers. I could have been much better, but it still could have been worse.
  34. Jun 26, 2015
    Not such a great movie but not a bad one. The movie is full of plot holes and just confusing moments in the script. The banter between Downey and Ty is so fresh it almost makes it worth it.
  35. Jun 1, 2013
    The latest Iron man movie was entertaining. It kept you on the edge of your seat. With that said the villians were all wrong. Pierce was great but the so called terrorist was a joke if u want to make a comedy make a comedy
  36. May 29, 2013
    I saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster aI saw Iron Man 3 last night, and first of all; it’s really disappointing to see a film series that started out so strongly reach to the unenviable level of mild entertainment, if even so. "A piping hot mess", as Tony Stark would put it. The tonal shifts, absurd plotting and the sheer level of disrespect for the source material (for all the geeks who care) made this summer blockbuster a piping hot mess, indeed. Our new director on board is Shane Black and I must admit he did pretty good job in the way of characterizations in the first half of this flick. Tony's post traumatic stress disorder, from the events of 'The Avengers', was developing well. But, as the second half rolled in, things drastically change from being a character-centric event to a bloated non-stop action fest, which, mind you, wasn't even creatively staged. There seems to be a belief that more plot equals better story, but that bombardment of ineffective plot twists only regressed the story at hand. Being so focused on surprising the audience, I don’t think the writers were ever fully capable of telling a solid story and polishing the muddy motives of our paper thin villain. And I can’t leave here without mentioning those perennial bursts of “humor” which only functioned to pull the audience out of key dramatic moments. Overall the movie relied so heavily on build up but ultimately undid itself in several ways. This really showed how hollow this shiny hunk of metal really was. Expand
  37. Dec 13, 2014
    I find solace when I look back on the first Iron Man film. However the same cannot be said for Iron Man 3. It is slick and humorous as you'd expect, but the third instalment is too hung up on a serious threat and less so on the potential of the loveable protagonist. The first film saw progression in Tony Stark's character and the second introduced a villain of interest. The third finds itI find solace when I look back on the first Iron Man film. However the same cannot be said for Iron Man 3. It is slick and humorous as you'd expect, but the third instalment is too hung up on a serious threat and less so on the potential of the loveable protagonist. The first film saw progression in Tony Stark's character and the second introduced a villain of interest. The third finds it hard to add anything interesting to the franchise and that is the main issue. The story is far too cataclysmic for my liking and makes for a humble ending to the trilogy. Expand
  38. May 3, 2013
    A highly anticipated movie that had no chance of living up to expectations. While it was a decent movie, I personally didn't think it was anything special. The plot was supposed to show Tony's life after the Avenger movie and the issues that have popped up since then. Well they succeeded but they never wrapped that part up during the movie. Most of the other plot points that were broughtA highly anticipated movie that had no chance of living up to expectations. While it was a decent movie, I personally didn't think it was anything special. The plot was supposed to show Tony's life after the Avenger movie and the issues that have popped up since then. Well they succeeded but they never wrapped that part up during the movie. Most of the other plot points that were brought up during the course of the movie were either fairly dull and didn't live up to expectations or were kinda pointless. The Villain was a huge joke here. I wasn't an Iron Man fan before these movies but I heard plenty of them feel insulted with the way the Mandarin was treated and especially with the role that Sir Ben Kingsley ended up playing. But there were good parts too. It was nice to see all the armors he had made and the last fight scene was pretty neat. Nothing spectacular but it did it's job real well. However, the rest of the plot was pretty lame. I would say this is the worst Marvel superhero movie they have made in a long time and I hope they redeem themselves later this year with Thor. Expand
  39. May 16, 2013
    Iron Man 3's trailers showed an epic Mandarin and a personal story. What we got, however, was an empty story with boring characterdevelopment and the most useless and disappointing comicbook villain ever brought to life on the big screen. As e supposed and definate ending to the Iron Man trilogy, it was unmemorable. You forget about the story, characters and ending, not only because it wasIron Man 3's trailers showed an epic Mandarin and a personal story. What we got, however, was an empty story with boring characterdevelopment and the most useless and disappointing comicbook villain ever brought to life on the big screen. As e supposed and definate ending to the Iron Man trilogy, it was unmemorable. You forget about the story, characters and ending, not only because it was uninterresting, but because you're better off forgetting than remembering. Expand
  40. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Heavy Boots of Lead

As Tony Stark points out rather tellingly, "All nuance went out the window when the God with a hammer fell from the sky," or something to that effect. At least the writers and filmmakers knew they were going too far, pulling out all the stops, distracting us from the head- scratching plot by cramming Part Three with dizzying twists and out-of- nowhere characters and situations, all while flooding our senses with overcooked CGI and headache-inducing sound FX, and packing in so much smart-Alec dialogue that everyone started to sound like RD Jr.. Obligatory overkill.

"So you can breathe fire?" Cheadle asks the real Mandarin. Yes, but apparently only once. You get an all-you-can-stomach smorgasbord of one-of-everything. You're senses will be subdued--overwhelmed--it's impossible to be bored, you get your money's worth of manic sights and pounding sounds. So why is it ultimately so unsatisfying? Since when is way too much not enough? This is the cinematic equivalent to over- indulging in franchised junk food. CGI obesity. High carb thrills. They'll soon have to supply cinemas with vomit bags.

Still, I prefer Iron-Over-the-Top-Man better than Super-Off-the-Charts- Man. But I don't think anyone really knows how to pull off a well-rounded CGI-based movie yet. Well, there's always Avengers 2015 when Joss Whelon re-calibrates the signal-to-noise ratio, and hopefully restores some of the nuance needed to offset the onslaught of mindless action and sarcastic dialogue. Failing that, we can always hope for James Cameron's Aquaman.

"You can save only one, the President or Pepper Potts," Stark is informed. Wait! You're telling me they're not the same person? Nothing else was too ludicrous to pass up.
  41. May 8, 2013
    Really people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from thisReally people thought this movie sucked! I suppose you think that Les Miserables was better? This is only the stupid fanboys spilling that stupid I really like this movie. It was a lot of action. the story was good and I was entertained all the way through. Tony Stark asked the question "Is it the man that makes suit or is it the suit that makes the man? I think we learned that from this movie. I also realized that there were people that didn't like the last Iron Man movie. I was not one of those as I loved it! Expand
  42. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3 can be seen from two perspectives. As an average movie goer, it's fun but not half as exciting as The Avengers. Humor is fine but repetitive (specially the limited edition watch joke), action scenes are nice to look at, and with the exception of the cringe-worthy Extremis soldiers, acting is simply ok.
    Seen from the perspective of a Marvel fan, it's really disappointing. The Extremis storyline could have resulted in the best Iron Man movie yet, but it was lazily adapted. The villains were played by very talented actors, but their skills were underused. Aldrich Killian was exactly the same as Obadiah Stane and Justin Hammer from the previous films, Maya Hansen doesn't have much screen time, and then comes the Mandarin. Turns out he isn't Iron Man's greatest villain, but a junkie actor used as a cover, which is a big middle finger to true believers. Not to mention it's revealed as silly comedy. The story is nothing we haven't seen before and better in other superhero films, and it's full with plot holes that don't make sense with the other Marvel movies (specially regarding the operation of the armors).
    If Iron Man 3 was any other movie, I'd give it 7/10. But keeping in mind what Marvel has brought us before, it's underwhelming and I give it 5/10.
  43. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am one of the many who was disappointed in the mandarin plot twist. What I am most disappointed in is the fact that they cant use him as an enemy of the avengers. He would have been a good one. But back to Iron Man. The movie's action was awesome. It's humor was done appropriately and well (like all Marvel films). All of the good guys were well developed and didn't stray too far from character. I wasn't the huge fan of the ending. Mainly the part where he threw the arc reactor, that was in his chest, in the ocean. It didn't have anything to do with the plot or Stark's self conflict and felt it was thrown in. Overall good flick. Still a fan of Iron Man and will be disappointed if Downey Jr quits Tony. Expand
  44. May 6, 2013
    This is a very entertaining movie. It may not follow the comic book story as much as people (fans) wanted it to but as far as an entertaining action packed summer movie is concerned, it actually lives up to the hype. Iron Man was better and obviously so was Avengers but this is definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2. Most people will love the movie but i can see why fans are dislikingThis is a very entertaining movie. It may not follow the comic book story as much as people (fans) wanted it to but as far as an entertaining action packed summer movie is concerned, it actually lives up to the hype. Iron Man was better and obviously so was Avengers but this is definitely a huge step up from Iron Man 2. Most people will love the movie but i can see why fans are disliking it a bit.

Overall for most movie goers, it is money well spent. Cant wait for Man of Steel in Imax though lol
  45. Feb 3, 2014
    电影充满故事和幽默,但导演将基调弄得黑暗又和这种幽默格格不入,其它水准把握还算不错,特效不错,最后得大战控制得不够到位,反派的设定很不讨喜,令人失望。
  46. Nov 9, 2013
    Watching the trailer for Iron Man 3, I was very excited for the movie. I had thought that it was going to be the best Marvel movie yet. However, when I had finished watching it I was very disappointed. Once again with another movie that came out this year, I feel angry because the trailer makes the movie seem so much better than it actually is. I'm not that bothered by the fact that theWatching the trailer for Iron Man 3, I was very excited for the movie. I had thought that it was going to be the best Marvel movie yet. However, when I had finished watching it I was very disappointed. Once again with another movie that came out this year, I feel angry because the trailer makes the movie seem so much better than it actually is. I'm not that bothered by the fact that the Mandarin wasn't "real but even with all of Tony's suits, I still feel as if there wasn't enough Iron Man action. The jokes and comedy were OK. For me this is a sad and frustrating over-rated film. I also thought the ending was stupid. Seriously, Pepper (looking weird in only a bra and yoga pants, and glowing red) defeats the Killian?

If you like this review, read my other work on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  47. Sep 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3, the beginning of the Marvel Phase 2, and wow, the movie is extremely... disappointing. The story sounds great, but the problem is the development, is really terrible, all the movie has much comedy moments that are irritating (Disney? Maybe?), and yes, this problem comes from its predecesor "The Avengers", the 85% of the movie is comedy, the rest serious and pathetic moments. The cast is amazing, the problem is the poor evolution of the main characters in the 3 movies, much of the characters feel wasted, and finally the script, is really terrible, as I said previously the 85% of the movie is comedy. The only good of Iron Man 3 are the effects, are amazing, and the performance of Robert Downey Jr., the rest is terrible. Iron Man 3 is a big deception. Expand
  48. May 4, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is funny and has some good special effects. I went in hoping for a bit of an emotional arc as Iron Man 2 let me down in this regard. While it seemed like they tried to make this happen, it was not well executed and now I'm back to where I was. I don't really care about the villain bait-and-switch as Kingsley was very funny (best part of the movie) and who cares about followingIron Man 3 is funny and has some good special effects. I went in hoping for a bit of an emotional arc as Iron Man 2 let me down in this regard. While it seemed like they tried to make this happen, it was not well executed and now I'm back to where I was. I don't really care about the villain bait-and-switch as Kingsley was very funny (best part of the movie) and who cares about following the comics. If I want the comics I'll go sit down and read them. The writing for the true villain was weak and his motivation was slim. Get better scripts Marvel! Sheesh! Expand
  49. May 3, 2013
    Ok so this movie disappointed me why because it ruined the comic book lore. I will give it that yes it had cool special effects and action and funny lines but in reality this is a Iron man movie and expected a movie to follow Iron mans story but it didnt.
  50. May 22, 2013
    Another movie that wants to be The Dark Knight. Only it abandons that after awhile, and starts trying to be its own thing, which I can respect. These kinds of movies can use some more twists and surprises, which Shane Black delivers. Unfortunately, while it's funny in several places it's just not enough fun.
    I wouldn't call myself a Black Sabbath or an AC/DC fan, but there was something
    I wouldn't call myself a Black Sabbath or an AC/DC fan, but there was something pretty great about Robert Downey flying around to it previously that doesn't happen in the third film.

No, the third film wants to be serious. Except it doesn't. You can't have it all.
  51. Nov 13, 2014
    Better than mediocrity in film form, aka Iron Man 2, this Iron Man continues with Iron Man's developed personality and develops it further. It introduces new plot elements, and actually has the promised action. Though Robert Downey Jr. himself was disappointed with the film, it is worth seeing, even though it is filled to the brim with plot-holes.
  52. May 3, 2013
    Better than Iron Man 2, but not better than Iron Man 1 or the Avengers. The story line was decent, but it was slightly confusing and fast-paced. The story did not follow the comics and the powers of Extremis were a little over exaggerated (Hint: Breathing fire). The ending was just okay, but the producers could have done a better job with this movie.
  53. Jun 7, 2013
    When Iron Man 3 opens and Eiffel 65's hit "Blue" from 1999 begins to play as we see the Marvel and Paramount logos flash up on the screen it was clear we were in for a little something different this time around. I haven't read many comic books and out of the ones I have, none of them have ever been an Iron Man comic, but at the end of the day it feels like that if there were a film thatWhen Iron Man 3 opens and Eiffel 65's hit "Blue" from 1999 begins to play as we see the Marvel and Paramount logos flash up on the screen it was clear we were in for a little something different this time around. I haven't read many comic books and out of the ones I have, none of them have ever been an Iron Man comic, but at the end of the day it feels like that if there were a film that was able to get as close to the spirit of its source material (or even the artistic medium originally used for that matter) that it might be this one. Granted, I have nothing to base that on, but it is simply a gut instinct in that the tone of this film is very light in its banter, very quick in its wit, and also more personal at the same time than I ever expected it to be, especially considering the obvious point that it's a massive summer blockbuster. While Iron Man 3 doesn't exactly live up to the expectations I was holding for it, it instead reroutes them and delivers a story that was more on the opposite side of the standard super hero flick spectrum while still containing enough explosions and fight scenes to appease those that go to these kinds of movies expecting nothing more than that. Director Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) takes over for Jon Favreau (who still shows up to play Happy Hogan) and took on writing duties as well and has delivered a very Shane Black-esque script with plenty of self-referential dialogue and a large scale action set piece every twenty minutes or so. I enjoyed the film immensely and found Robert Downey Jr. as good as ever as Tony Stark, but despite all the flash and bang it still felt like there was something missing, or maybe that's just because Captain America, Thor, and The Hulk didn't bother to show up.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  54. Sep 26, 2013
    After two iterations of the series and the Avengers collective effort, most of us who have paid attention thus far more or less knew what to expect from Iron Man 3. Namely, outstanding special effects coupled with heavy doses of Robert Downey Jr's sarcastic one-liners and playful interactions with his supporting cast. Here, Iron Man 3 does not disappoint. However, after so many examples ofAfter two iterations of the series and the Avengers collective effort, most of us who have paid attention thus far more or less knew what to expect from Iron Man 3. Namely, outstanding special effects coupled with heavy doses of Robert Downey Jr's sarcastic one-liners and playful interactions with his supporting cast. Here, Iron Man 3 does not disappoint. However, after so many examples of Tony Stark and his exploits to draw from, this particular batch seems stale in comparison.

I cannot find fault in the plot, despite my lack of comic-book knowledge and the incredible amount of animosity that crowd has towards the inconsistencies and utter lack of translation taking place between particular characters and events. Things unfold at a rapid pace, and even though you have a good feeling regarding how things will all turn out favoring Stark, there are moments where the film remembers (as the original Iron Man did) to remind the audience of his humanity. The standard cast of supporting actors returns, but Ben Kingsley adds some truly unexpected...things...to the film. No spoilers here, I assure you, but his presence is appreciated by this viewer.

So, what's to blame for the disappointment? Simple comparison, of course, and its unavoidable after four films based solely (or largely) on Stark/Iron Man. It entertains, but it also leaves a sour taste in the mouth. The closing line of the credits, "Tony Stark Will Return", is about a 50/50 proposition; we all know the Avengers 2 is coming, but Iron Man 4? Something tells me this is as far as they can (or should) take the series. Something also tells me they won't stop, and continuing to cast the light on Iron Man may end up making the entire franchise (which has been mostly stellar, in my opinion) poorer for it.
  55. Jan 28, 2014
    Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) Is back after the events of The Avengers. This time he will fight with his arch enemy terrorist ringleader organizatsiiDesyat Rings Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) and the commander of the militants extremists "People bombs" Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce).

Directed by Shane Black tried to lodge Iron Man, as The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan, but the gloom at the moment forgotten more innings is not funny jokes. Robert Downey Jr. decides excellent role Stark. Almost the entire film, even in scenes Stark was without a suit.

But despite the great special effects, good cast and sometimes funny jokes in the film has a few flaws. Characters silly villain Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) and the template shows us a classic villain Mandarin (Ben Kingsley) was simple. Standard plot and characters are stupid and templates, as well as silly tantrums. Tony Stark does not change and is not adjusted for the film. He continues to behave stupidly. Iron Man 3 appears to us a typical adaptation of the comic book is not nothing remarkable film. I am very disappointed when watching Iron Man 3 .

Bottom line: the worst of the trilogy about the iron man. Rating C +
  56. Jun 12, 2013
    I walked in the theaters with very high expectations, me thinking it was gonna be as good as the dark knight rises. I was very wrong... from the trailer the movie had a much much darker and serious tone. Iron Man 3 had very unnecessary and pointless "laughs" at sometimes.The big twist in the movie really disappointed, I thought Iron Man and the Mandarin were going to have an epic battle.I walked in the theaters with very high expectations, me thinking it was gonna be as good as the dark knight rises. I was very wrong... from the trailer the movie had a much much darker and serious tone. Iron Man 3 had very unnecessary and pointless "laughs" at sometimes.The big twist in the movie really disappointed, I thought Iron Man and the Mandarin were going to have an epic battle. The person (not saying who) who killed the actual villain made me laugh, seriously Tony Stark and his somewhat 43 suits couldn't defeat the villain!?? Wow.. This didn't really feel like an Iron Man movie. This movie felt like an action comedy movie. My dad was very disappointed as well. Overall I give it a 5 out of 10. Expand
  57. Jan 7, 2015
    The villain of the story the Mandarin was disappointing and as far as superhero movies go this is in my top 5 biggest let downs. He was trying to fix his Iron Man suit more than he was in it. I give this a miserable 4 out of 10
  58. May 18, 2013
    The villains were ridiculous and made no sense whatsoever. The action scenes didn't disappoint, but were wildly diluted with silly plot. Worth seeing if you're invested in the series, but otherwise avoid it.
  59. May 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man is one of the most iconic superheroes of all time. Everyone knows who he is and that is probably mostly because of this franchise fright here. I'm not complaining, and I'm not saying anyone else is either, but is anyone really thanking them for it?
    I think we can all agree that the first to this trilogy is, in fact the best of the series by far and one of the best comic book movies of all time. I don't want to get into the first one right now because this is supposed to be a review for the third, but I will say that the first one had an aspect to it that little superhero movies, or action movies for that matter had. It had the humanism that could create the ability to relate to a character (Tony Stark) who is almost impossible to relate to, for the average moviegoer. But that one pulled it off with flying colors. Now, I know that a movie like Iron Man will be tough to follow, but I felt that Iron Man 2 really lost sight of all of the aspects that made its predecessor a masterpiece. They turned the franchise into a big Blockbuster money grab. It may have reached the heights visually, but for sure not emotionally, and you need a little more than a couple cool action sequences to keep more mature audiences occupied…well, most of them. The third and I think final installment in the series brought some of the characteristics back that made the first great, but was there enough?
    Iron Man 3 was, in my opinion, the least over-the-top of the three. I thought that Robert Downey Jr. didn’t bring everything he had brought to the other two that made me love the character so much. He was surprisingly very mellow and toned down in this movie. It might have been the change of directors or maybe he might have just been done with the series and ready for his paycheck, but it just didn’t pull me in and that is a problem. This movie was also the most comedic with slapstick humor being thrown at you from every corner. I will admit, a good amount of it hit, but there was also the stuff that missed that just made you roll your eyes.
    After that first movie, I felt like the whole production team for these movies just gave up. They said, “Hey, we may have made one of the best action movies of all time. Who cares what comes next.” So they just threw a second installment together knowing it will make tons of money and it did, and it got some from me, but I really wish they had strived towards more. Sadly, I couldn’t shake that feeling during this movie that they just gave up. They put a little more thought into this one, but not enough to convince me that these people are actually trying to make a fantastic movie. I will give them credit for what they had in this movie though. They had some interesting material and not just mindless action like in the second one. There were some cool concepts in this, like taking the beloved villain (The Mandarin) from the comics and throwing a little twist into it and having him not be the actual villain at all and just an actor that is playing the part. Guy Pierce is actually the terrorist who attacked all those locations. I found it to be an interesting concept and I enjoyed it. I don’t know how the fanboys are all going to take it, but I liked it.
    I think we can throw the acting and the effects into the same boat for this one. The effects were a lot better than the acting in this movie. The effects looked great, especially the end action sequence with the dozens of Iron Men killing the mutants. The mutants looked pretty good too, except for when they exploded. That wasn’t the very best effect. So the effects were on a high note, but the acting was a bit lower. As I said before, Robert Downey Jr. didn’t bring as much to the table as he did in the other two. But I actually thought that everyone was kind of toned down and mellowed out, except for Ben Kingsley. He did an outstanding job and he was by far the most over-the-top, and he was the exact definition. Guy Pierce was fine and so was Gwyneth Paltrow but no one else really blew me away. Now let’s take a minute to talk about this child actor in this. When he first showed up, I knew I was going to hate him and I prayed that he was a small part of the movie. This kid was awful, and thank god he wasn’t in the majority of the movie. He had no emotion and he was just so annoying and unlikable. I know I hated him. But I mean, he’s a child actor, Can I really judge him? All I can say is that I was so happy to get rid of him.
    Iron Man 3 had its flaws and thank god there weren’t as many as the second one. But it still didn’t live up to the famous first film, but what will right? In my opinion, it was better than two, and worse than one. Taking it all into account, I did enjoy it and I recommend you at least see it. Just go see for yourself. This was the darkest of the three and I think that gives it a couple of extra points. I would recommend it, just don’t be expecting it to be influential.
  60. May 17, 2013
    The problem with Iron Man 3 is that it missed countless opportunities to great, and is no where near as engaging as some of the recent superhero flicks, but its still an entertaining summer blockbuster with some excellent set pieces. But be prepared, you will be disappointed.
  61. May 7, 2013
    I was actually kinda disappointed overall. This movie would be a perfect rental with a beer and some pizza with the wife and friends.

Over all, since this is a continuation after the Avengers.. the main bad guy was lame, The other villians are clearly defined and should be feared and for this movie it wasn't and when you find out who it is.. meh.. It did have some cool stunts and

It did have some cool stunts and kept some of the witty humor, but that even was lacking so I give it a 5.
  62. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what I just saw.
    This was by far the worst marvel movie I have seen to date. The problem with this movie was not the actors. They did great. The Mandarin plot I thought was going to be the part of the movie that was going to make me angry but it didn't really. The way he was used made sense during the real events of our world today. I mean who would be afraid of a guy in a dress with 10 rings doing magic in which one repulser blast will eradicate him instantly. That's why we have Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet for that.

The problem with the movie was with the Extremis, the lack of Iron Man action and the finale of the movie. I really thought this movie would really help my distaste of Iron man 2 which I really didn't like, but instead it did the opposite.

Lets begin with the Extremis. For starters every time I see one of these guys pop up I cringe and wait for something stupidly IMPOSSIBLE to happen.

Next is the constant Tony in the Iron man suit and out of the suit. He does this so much it makes me dizzy. Like he's advertising to the audience that he can do this. I've seen Tony in the suit like over 5 times and does nothing while wearing it besides walk down stairs, fall into the ocean, escape the ocean, force pushes it for pepper to put it on, force removes it from her to put it on himself, force pushes it to the villain to try it on. Hopscotches from one suit to the next just to fly. Then see other people use these suits with no training whatsoever. At this point I was just waiting for the kid to put on the suit to save Tony at one point.

Lastly the finale. Oh boy. At this point of the movie I want it to end already. Then we get the scene from the trailer where all the different Iron Man Marks show up. I knew that when they added a kid to this film it will lead to what I was afraid of. Chris O'Donnell said it best that when doing Batman and Robin it was like doing a Toy Commercial. That's exactly what it was. You see Tony using different suits made of METAL to be destroyed by humans which are made of FLESH AND BONE every time he puts one on. I yelled, "A what the Fudge" in a packed theater when this happened. Seriously. Then something even worst happens. He self destructs all his 42 suits. Why would he do this? Did he consider thinking about using these suits in case another threat from space happened again? Gee these suits will come in handy right? There was no answer to it. By the time I started writing this part it came to me and that is by the time Iron man 4 or Avengers 2 is released he somehow made new models of suits which can be sold as toys. BRAVO...

I believe if you remove all the stuff I have problems with it would have been a better movie. Making a movie really doesn't mean to make it bigger every time. Just make it simple and to the point. When you add to many elements you lose the audience and it becomes unwatchable. There has not been a successful comic book Trilogy yet and I don't think there ever will be. Just more reboots because people messed up the movies to recreate new ones. I really don't understand how any screws up a comic book movie when all the source material is already done for you in the comic books. I think making Iron man 3 was a big mistake as is The next Thor and Captain America. I believe that they should have used all these resources to create more Avengers movies. The spent all this time trying to get these characters together to just split them up again was a bad idea which is going to have bad repercussions down the road. The time will come when some of these actors don't want to reprise there roles anymore and this is going to make a lot of people and fans really upset. Upset because of the greed of milking these movies as a form of business instead of a form of art is going to destroy it.
  63. Nov 10, 2013
    A fun but terrible, cliched, and action packed ride. The only part that saves this movie is Robert Downey Jr's acting and the action in the final scenes A ton of cliched parts and terrible acting potrayed, knew that I was watching a Marvel Mess. A disappointed since I went in from watching the Avengers which was an amazing action movie.
    Overall, a lackluster action movie with terrible
    Overall, a lackluster action movie with terrible predicted scenes and terrible acting.
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    Meh. This movie started good, I wanted it to be good, but it wasn't. The first hour or so was really interesting, i liked Tony Starks panic attacks. Then, the second part..... They over did the humor and ruined the movie.
  65. Aug 8, 2014
    My least favourite MCU Film. As usual the best aspect of this movie is Robert Downey Jr., he does and has always done a great job as Iron Man, but the film did not feel cohesive and often felt dull for the most part. This was a lot more character driven than previous films, which is by no means a problem but with the lack of underdeveloped villains, it really does not balance it out.
  66. Nov 19, 2013
    Mediocre at best, especially when seen as a follow-up to Avengers. Other than constantly mentioning the events in NY, this movie consistently ignores the existence of everything else in the MCU. Where is SHIELD when AIM is posing a massive terrorist threat to the world with Extremis and other programs? Why didnt Stark call SHIELD or anyone else, like Cap, for help during the movie?

And

And it drags on and on in the middle as Tony spends faaar too much time outside the suit. I didnt mind the plot twist with the villain though the ending was completely moronic. There was no reason to destroy all of his suits when he's just gonna rebuild them for Avengers 2.
  67. May 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as good as The Avengers. The villain is weird, it's hard to put in words but he feels out of place. The high points in IM3 are pretty high, but the lows are pretty low and "weird". Why is Tony Stark running around with a gun at the end of the movie? How did Pepper Pots just get "cured"? What's with his anxiety attacks exactly? It's his third movie fighting bad guys and other assorted crazies, but his encounter with aliens in the Avengers messed him up? Just feels contrived and weird. I like Guy Pierce, but this villain doesn't work, and they should stop doing "greedy" bad guys in IM films. Not a bad movie, but could have been a heck of a lot better, especially after The Avengers showed everybody how it should be done. There's no excuse any more after Whedon's awesome hero flick. If you've got nothing to do, this movie's okay to fill in some time, otherwise I can't even recommend it as a rental when there are so many other good movies out there. Expand
  68. May 5, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a fun, enjoyable and vary character driven but still it's a bit mess with one massive plot hole and things never getting explained. overall if you liked the first iron man, You will like this one
  69. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot didn't seem to click with this movie, as with the previous Iron Man films. The villains are always so underdeveloped or underused to the point of asking, who is Iron Man fighting? After ruining Whiplash who was perfectly cast, they completely ruined Mandarin. I'm not a huge comic buff but I know enough to realize it was done poorly. That doesn't make the review though, the movie as a movie just wasn't good regardless. The run time of two hours and fifteen minutes felt like four hours and thirty minutes. There were a lot of parts that just didn't seem to matter. Additionally, there was a lot of screen time of Iron Man not being Iron Man. Where Tony Stark would sneak around like beloved secret agent 007 but I felt it really didn't fit the character. Especially since it didn't make any sense as later in the film we discover he had fifty Iron Man suits waiting under his house. Instead he decides to fix up the 42 and fight the baddies in human skin. The reason I disliked him being out of the suit is because we know he isn't trained like Batman/Bruce Wayne, Iron Man is the suit. On the topic of things not mattering, Mandarin attacking Iron Man's home. We all know he has a huge ego and endangered those he loved but of course being a super hero movie, nothing significant happened. We see that suits are blowing up but later in the film Jarvis commands like fifty more that are unharmed. The hero of the movie is Jarvis, his AI Jeeves. And this begs the question, if those suits were dormant underneath his house, why didn't he just call upon them while he was stranded in Tennessee? I guess there wouldn't be a movie then, right?
    As far as the humor goes, I definitely found myself laughing at parts which was nice but it also took away from the overall weight and depth the movie might have been going for. Instead of trying to save a president who is dangling high above ground or his girlfriend from evil clutches, jokes are being made about being shot at, etc. Thankfully though, all the bad guys suffer from stormtrooper syndrome. So Iron Man, basically Jarvis though, can save the day woo hoo! In the matter of Pepper, her purpose was to be injected and dropped into the fire so that she could live the drop and the fire haha. Saw that one coming but seriously, I hated that. I guess I just want a movie where a bad guy doesn't keep the hero's GF around as a trophy or doesn't give a long speech about how they're the best and just shoots them. Anyway, I'm a bit upset I spent a whopping $25 for two tickets to a movie my girlfriend and I were just begging to be over so we could go about our merry way. For whatever reason, I thought this would be different from Iron Man 2 but I don't know why I thought that. If you look at it with total disregard for comic canon, reality (i know it's a super hero movie), and sense; it can be kind of fun. Definitely a rent in the future and not worthy of the shelf!
  70. May 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love iron man 3, I really do but it falls flat when the mandarin is not the mandarin if you get what i mean. I absolutely loved the evil terrorist looking character. But when they changed that it really pissed me of. But it was still a great time and i did like it. Expand
  71. Jun 14, 2013
    The weakest one of the three movies, in my opinion. Action movies, and superhero movies in particular, will always have plot holes, but this is often a mine field. Robert Downey Jr. seems tired of being Tony Stark, as well. The action is cool and the graphics are great, but the thrill is missing a little compared to the other movies. The way everything is wrapped up at the end is quiteThe weakest one of the three movies, in my opinion. Action movies, and superhero movies in particular, will always have plot holes, but this is often a mine field. Robert Downey Jr. seems tired of being Tony Stark, as well. The action is cool and the graphics are great, but the thrill is missing a little compared to the other movies. The way everything is wrapped up at the end is quite lacking as well. I was entertained, but I feel there were many missed opportunities. Expand
  72. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think Iron Man 3 is better than the second, but its not enough to beat the first. I was hoping more from the director, but I like the special effects. But, the story is not that good. It has too many humour inside it. I didn't like how Tony Stark make a joke or something, it makes the audience this film is a humour film instead of action film. Especially it makes me disappointed when I was waiting for the extra scene of this film, i wait until all the credits all end! But what, the special scene only consists about Stark telling his life story to the psychiatrist which are not real psychiatrist at all.
    That's not my only disappointments. Mandarin! Yes mandarin! The Iron Man's enemy!!! Which a idiot plot by the director when I know that Mandarin actually is a fake enemy! Mandarin is created by Aldrich Killian. Which is really disappointed me, because there are no big deal of Iron Man defeated Aldrich with his fire power.
    It sucks so many scene, like the US President who dies because of plane explodes, Maya Hansen who betrays Tony, Colonel James Rhodes who still be War machine or now called "Iron Patriot".
    But every negative critics, there always the positive ones.
    Like harley keener which is genius in that age. I like him. He has helped Tony for a big way.
    Though i have a lot disappointments, I hope it will be repaired in the next film of Iron Man.
    Hope for the best in Iron Man 4.
  73. May 6, 2013
    Overall disappointing. Slim plot and low level acting without any chemistry. The film will make a huge profit. I truly hope Iron-man IV, V and VI are better. My granddaughter, age 19, loved it. I hope Hollywood learns to make their movies as good as the comic books from where they take their "fresh" ideas.
  74. May 15, 2013
    Iron Man 3 had a lot of expectations. The second sequel to a hugely profitable franchise, this movie had some big shoes to fill. And the shoe fits, but not very comfortably. Robert Downey Jr. is excellent as usual, playing Tony Stark with such ease and smoothness that he just might save this movie. Iron Man 3 has more packed into its running time than the other movies. More action (or moreIron Man 3 had a lot of expectations. The second sequel to a hugely profitable franchise, this movie had some big shoes to fill. And the shoe fits, but not very comfortably. Robert Downey Jr. is excellent as usual, playing Tony Stark with such ease and smoothness that he just might save this movie. Iron Man 3 has more packed into its running time than the other movies. More action (or more violent action), more family friendly-parts, and more about Stark. But I feel like the plot is missing too much... explanation. I felt really confused with what was going on at times. I wish that the screenplay was better, but Downey really saved this film. I would say that it's worth your time, but not if you're going into it with a negative connotation. Expand
  75. Jun 20, 2013
    At this point in the game you know who Iron Man is and there are few surprises in store. All superhero movies depend on a good villain and unfortunately Tony Stark never seems to have one that can give him that much trouble. This time around it is different but unfortunately the villian isn't that intriguing.

Iron Man 3 is far better than it's predecessor but at this point I would

Iron Man 3 is far better than it's predecessor but at this point I would think that we would have had a collaboration with the Hulk, Thor or Captain America. I'm not sure any of the individual movies can breathe in the shadow of the Avenger movie and the writers would be smart to try something different.
  76. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

The whole Tony Stark inner turmoil thing really didn't ring true for me. I get the whole dwelling on "aliens really exist" thing, but it didn't really work IMHO. As well the use of the Mandarin really was disappointing. He could have been a really good evil character. Ben Kingsley could have absolutely nailed it if left to make the character his own.

As it was it was an OK movie. Watch it if you like the superhero genre, if not its not that interesting.
  77. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good action, funny moments and strong performance from RDJ. However, the movie was a real let down, especially with The Mandarin, what a miss opportunity with the arch nemesis to Tony Stark. I was absolutely flabbergasted by that twist. Also the character of Tony Stark was made to look like a complete joke and admittedly I think his armour suits being destroyed so easily can be attributed that they were mainly a means to out let his insomnia and may not have used the proper elements to make them as strong as his current one, but still its rather lacklustre in the finale when they were easily dispensed by the generic villains. If you're a casual fan or like a standard action flick you will probably enjoy this but comic fans will be disappointed. They could have done a better job. Expand
  78. May 4, 2013
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other thanI have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other than that, this movie had no real depth at all. The motives for the bad guys is not really evident, nor is the explanation of the extremis virus. One minute you have a glowing man turning into a bomb and the next you have 10 glowing guys who breathe fire and regenerate except when killed?!?!?!?! All the Ironman suits were cool but how they get to that point is pretty pointless. It was an ok movie, and probably better than the second one, but was more of a money grab than a great film. Expand
  79. Jul 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this film started I was hooked! For the first half of the film I was at the edge of my seat. However then this kid showed up, he didn't ruin the film or anything but the film slightly dropped in quality but the dialogue was still great and Stark was on fire! But then Stark goes to take on 'the Mandarin'...*sigh*. When Kingsley walked out of the bathroom, my face sank. I was devastated, literally traumatized. I don't know who thought of this idea, but it is a terrible idea. Any comic book fan will be pissed watching this film. I don't even remember the rest it was so generic. Luckily I have fond memories of the fist half of the film, it really was great! But is you don't mind what happens to the Mandarin, you'll probably enjoy the film. Expand
  80. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When it comes to Iron Man, or any Marvel movie for that matter, I'm skeptical. They can be really good like: Spiderman; The Avengers and X-men or utter like Thor; The Hulk or Elektra. Iron Man to me is a mixed bag in that it can be good or mediocre. I personally disliked the first one and loved the second. What about this Iron Man movie how did it fair. I mean when we went to see it the tickets were sold out. Thankfully we wisely bought our tickets online unlike some people. Anyway the movie, was it truly the summer blockbuster we were waiting for? Was it truly a perfect movie like we had thought? NO! It wasn't, it really wasn't. Does that mean it was bad? Well no it was, OK. I won't completely spoil the story, but in my opinion it was an excuse plot that ties in with the Avengers movie(which by the way is referenced a lot in this movie). I really did not find the story very interesting, at all. Like I said, it is an excuse plot, there is nothing you can't predict, save for one scene. The slower scenes in the movie really offset the more action oriented scenes, to the point of being boring. I'm serious you are gonna be think can these people shut up and get to the action already. Oh by the way, I hope you like Deus Ex Machina's cause this movie has a metric ton of them. There were plenty of times where I went "oh Bull****". Robert Downey, Jr. reprises his role as Tony Stark Iron Man and as always he does an excellent job in this role. He really brings life to an otherwise lifeless movie. As always he really gets into character and has fun with it and in turn we have fun too. What about the other character? Well, for the most part, they kinda suck. Don Cheadle as James "Rhodey" Rhodes aka Iron Patriot(what a stupid name) is in the movie but barely does anything. Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts is just there to get captured, that's it. The kid, well I hate kids in action movies, so there is your answer .What about The Mandarin? Let me answer that in a question. WHAT THE DID THEY DO TO THE MANDARIN?!! The Mandarin has always been one of my favorite marvel villains, so when I learned he would be the main villain I was hyped. When he is revealed he looks and sounds awesome and in scene in the movie where we see how cruel he is, I thought I can't wait to see him fight. So disappointed was I, because HE'S NOT EVEN THE MAIN VILLAIN! What they did to such a cool villain was downright criminal and I know I sound like a crazed fan boy, but when I saw the real villain it was impossible to not be aggravated. Seriously the writers thought the villain reveal was clever, but it was so obvious to anyone who graduated 6th grade. So the story suck, most of the characters were lame, but what about the the action and effect were they at least good? Actually they were. The suit were pretty well made, granted I am well aware that they were cgi, but the get the job done. The action was definitely great even when Iron man didn't have his suit, he was still awesome. I won't give it away but the final action scene was one of the greatest things ever, however I can't help but feel Iron Man gets his ass kick just a little too much, but the scenes are still memorable. Finally let me warn you, do not sit through the credits! All you will get is a shameless, shoehorn cameo and the most insulting sequel set up ever! In fact it isn't even a sequel set up, because the writers thought it would be awesome to blatantly tell you that "Tony Stark will return" for another cash-in. Wow! you guys. With that being said the final score for Iron Man 3 is a 6/10 it's decent. The action and effect is what you came for and you get it. The movie also had genuinely funny jokes and like I said Robert Downey, Jr. is a joy in this movie as he normally is. However the other characters and story gravely missed their marks. Expand
  81. May 31, 2013
    Fun, Frantic and Fast could summarise the newest Iron Man simply. Yet it fails to achieve the brilliance and depth of the original. Yet if you are looking for a movie which goes beyond simple action flick, keep on looking, the heavy CGI presence feels over used and some what blurry in the lengthier fight sequences.

As a fan of the comics and the first and parts of the second film, i

As a fan of the comics and the first and parts of the second film, i feel this movie feels apart from the others and it is clear that another director has taken the helm. It is a shame that Shane Black was given the role as i felt he ignored the rich history and some what bastardised the series.
  82. Jul 2, 2013
    I wanted to like this movie more and there was nothing really that wrong with it, it even had a good surprise twist but overall it just could not compare to the previous 2. I think the over the top upgrades took away from the movie a bit as well.
  83. May 5, 2013
    Not a bad movie, but I had heard it had received great reviews and expected something more, it is what it is, a fun silly superhero summer blockbuster.

I did have a few problems, aside from a bit of naivety in listening to the hype. Firstly, do we really have to a have a cute, yet suffering fatherless kid to save characters both emotionally and in the heat if battle? When I was a child watching movies, I didn't have to have a kid in each story to 'relate' to, I wanted to be Indiana Jones, or Luke Skywalker and they were quite a bit older than me. The bullying line was especially shoehorned in and his entire (and lengthy) portions of the film could have been cut.

The jokes, some were okay, but most have been done to death. We've heard the line 'better leave that toilet a few minutes', we've seen flying parts hits in the groin, & the next flying part hit the bottom to bowl the Stooge head over heels so many times. Tony Stark is a character for cutting lines, snappy returns and over the top self-confidence, slapstick humour works sometimes, but it feels like lazy writing and cheap laughter tricks to use the same few over & over again in movies and not even try for some wit.

The villains motivations were vague and paper thin and didn't really seem to be of much concern for anyone.

Tony's trauma over what happened in the Avengers movie was either poorly acted or poorly scripted, it just wasn't made clear what or why it affected him so badly. The super-hero needs some therapy, I'm okay-ish with that, but when the hero is essentially just a normal guy in a special suit, like Tony Stark is, then wouldn't someone else better trained be more suitable in the suit? He could just be the design man, which he doesn't seem to be any more because his computer seems to be able to do and build anything at the wave of a hand. Again it felt a bit shoehorned in, this time just to provide a story link.

Which leads on to my final and biggest issue. If anyone can just climb into an IM suit and use it and even more significantly they seem to work perfectly well with nobody inside, what's the point of Tony Stark the Iron Man?

Easy summer fun, but don't expect anything close to an 'adult' superhero movie.
  84. May 7, 2013
    It's hard not to like Robert Downey Jr and he was entertaining, but Iron Man 3 was quite predictable. His attempt at having panic attacks was very prosaic. Didn't really like Gwyneth Paltrow. she's too stiff. Don Cheadle as Tony's comedic foil was great as was Ty Simpkins. The action was good, but nothing special. Cheadle and Downey make the movie worth seeing. Also, don't waste the $3 for 3D.
  85. May 15, 2013
    After marveling at the cinematic brilliance of The Avengers last year, this year’s first Marvel release fell incredibly short of anything close to marvelous. Iron Man 3 like much of the glorified suit of armour in the movie is a clanking hollow shell lacking any real body or substance. It sorely suffers from the titanic box office juggernaut Marvel’s The Avengers proved to be and evokedAfter marveling at the cinematic brilliance of The Avengers last year, this year’s first Marvel release fell incredibly short of anything close to marvelous. Iron Man 3 like much of the glorified suit of armour in the movie is a clanking hollow shell lacking any real body or substance. It sorely suffers from the titanic box office juggernaut Marvel’s The Avengers proved to be and evoked overwhelming feelings of underwhelming disappointment and disenchantment upon its culmination. Damaged by a nonsensical antagonist swerve and a superhero over-utilizing his new remote play feature amidst inexcusable plot holes, aimless disjointed sub-plots, farfetched role reversals and a sense of going through the motions, this Iron Man installment is nothing short of filler, used as a catalyst to fuel the next phase in the ongoing Avengers (revenue) machine.

Robert Downey Jr. reprising his role as the brash billionaire playboy industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man is at his sardonic best, however, much of the dialogue Downey Jr. professes throughout the film seems on the verge of stand-up comedy rather than the empowering words of a man-made superhero. Also reprising her role as Pepper Potts is Gwyneth Paltrow, her performance though solid is plagued with an implausible narrative for her character, and the camaraderie between her and Downey Jr. seems forced at times. Ben Kingsley’s portrayal of credulous Tony Slattery otherwise known as the Mandarin is good for what it is, and Don Cheadle as the Iron Patriot formerly the War Machine got lost in the narrative somewhat but nevertheless provided a satisfactory performance for the parts and dialogue he was given. On a more positive note, Guy Pearce provided a stellar performance as the unstable scientist Aldrich Killian, a rivaling industrialist to Tony Stark with an underlying resentment for his fledging genius counterpart. Nonetheless, despite a couple of passable performances, notably those of Downey Jr. and Pearce, Iron Man 3 was sorely lacking character portrayals worthy of the audience’s time investment.

Shane Black takes over the helm of the Iron Man film series from Jon Favreau after his lackluster Iron Man 2 and teams up with Robert Downey Jr. who he last worked with on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. In hindsight perhaps Iron Man 3 could have been renamed to suit its premise more; Remote Control Iron Man, maybe Pepper Man, possibly even Avengers Hangover, these would all suffice, but How a Rich Man Copes with Seeing Aliens seems to fit best. Too much of Tony Stark’s vulnerability was exposed in this movie which diminished the character we have all warmed to, the exuberant larger-than-life billionaire playboy/superhero. By divulging Stark’s susceptibility to the strains of life to the extent it has in Iron Man 3 it makes it a lot easier to understand if he were to finally hang up his proverbial boots for good; not a good thing for a superhero film series with unfinished business. In addition to this, there is an underlying disconnect from the outset much like Stark with his beloved iron suit(s) in a significant proportion of this movie, by opting for the sympathy vote it is apparent Black has alienated viewers such as myself who want to see a superhero at the height of their powers overcome evil. By the end the very thing that ties Tony Stark to Iron Man is away with the wind, which is ironically where big-budget filmmaking intelligence went when this movie was produced. Here’s hoping the remaining parts of the Avengers machine have not depreciated like its iron core has evidently done.

Even the post-credits sequence connected to the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe seemed needless and afforded nothing to entice in terms of reasons to be eager to want to watch the forthcoming Avengers movie or the next entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise. However, ironically the ending cameo encapsulated the essence of the entire Iron Man 3 movie, a psychiatric evaluation of a perturbed superhero.

On the contrary, Iron Man 3 is not a categorical disaster; it packed in enough explosive action and vivacious backdrops into a lengthy 2 hour 15 minute running time to at least be aesthetically pleasing to the viewer. Although when you look behind the niceties there is not much to write home about.

Nevertheless, Iron Man 3 is a frantic overblown popcorn flick that lacks any real conviction and can be only described as a damp squib. Like all superhero movies, the superhero is only as good as it’s adversary, and in this case the adversary was not worthy. As a stand-alone franchise it’s clearly demonstrable that it is suffering, as part of an even bigger picture, Iron Man’s appeal is draining with only 5% power and the odds of it reaching maximum altitude again are slim to none.

86. Jul 13, 2013
    Decent. Was never a big Iron Man fan, but I like superhero movies. The trailer was very deceiving. Turned out to be nothing like I had expected. Had its moments though. I enjoyed it while in the theater, for the most part, but I don't ever imagine caring to see it again. I didn't particularly like the plot twist, or the main villain. To me, the twist turned the movie into a light-heartedDecent. Was never a big Iron Man fan, but I like superhero movies. The trailer was very deceiving. Turned out to be nothing like I had expected. Had its moments though. I enjoyed it while in the theater, for the most part, but I don't ever imagine caring to see it again. I didn't particularly like the plot twist, or the main villain. To me, the twist turned the movie into a light-hearted action-comedy, and I was kind of hoping Iron Man would go out with a bang, with a darker plot (I'm assuming this was his last solo movie). But it wasn't enough to make me upset after seeing it. If I liked Iron Man more, I probably would have been really disappointed by this movie. Expand
  87. May 12, 2013
    I can't get over how ridiculously average this film is. I know that the film was hyped up a lot, and most people went to see it many times over, but for me, it was just barely worth seeing. With quite a bit of plain voice acting (I'm looking at you, Gwenyth Paltrow) average CGI, and very little charm compared to the first two, there are 3 things that make this film good: action sequences,I can't get over how ridiculously average this film is. I know that the film was hyped up a lot, and most people went to see it many times over, but for me, it was just barely worth seeing. With quite a bit of plain voice acting (I'm looking at you, Gwenyth Paltrow) average CGI, and very little charm compared to the first two, there are 3 things that make this film good: action sequences, settings and Trevor Slattery. I like the use of improvised gadgets in more realistic scenarios here. They make Tony Stark seem more hero like. But Trevor Slattery is what saved the film from being, say, a 3 or 4. His sense of humour made me pull through to the end. I'd nearly given up until he appeared, no joke. Anyway, the score is a 5... it's just so average. I can recommend you go see it, but only if you didn't see Iron Man 1 or 2. Expand
  88. May 12, 2013
    I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all.I thought the supposedly family film "Iron Man 3" is a dreadful effort and not much of a fun summer movie that I was expecting. From the smarmy performance of Downey Jr to the uninspiring story with its overkill of violence and sex and what can one say about that ridiculous ending. Well, at least you get a couple of well executed action sequences for your money but that is about all. Not many campers coming out with a smile on their face on this one. Expand
  89. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie has abated the glory of the two previous ones, and gone to a state messed up. At the end of it Tony Stark threw that piece of energy source into water, and murmured himself still an iron man. It seems that directors have been tired of rationalizing this superman, are earnest to shatter his image apiece, and restore the meaning of “iron man” to the spiritual domain. Thus snappedThis movie has abated the glory of the two previous ones, and gone to a state messed up. At the end of it Tony Stark threw that piece of energy source into water, and murmured himself still an iron man. It seems that directors have been tired of rationalizing this superman, are earnest to shatter his image apiece, and restore the meaning of “iron man” to the spiritual domain. Thus snapped off together are the gorgeous show of acrobatics in the movie’s body: what such exaggerated myths are for, if the man can remain steel without his armor? It’d be better the directors throw away all his iron pieces at the beginning, and progress on a fleshed man’s struggles with his iron-like spirit.
    Yet watching it is not very tedious, as the visual effects are somewhat good.
  90. Jul 25, 2013
    Iron Man 3 tries very hard to break the traditional superhero film mold, but doesn't quite succeed. That isn't to mean it's not a decently enjoyable time however. The film succeeds mostly to another fantastic performance given by Robert Downey. The biggest issue Iron Man 3 has is its fluctuating tonality. The mixture between seriousness and comedy isn't well blended. In fact, the way aIron Man 3 tries very hard to break the traditional superhero film mold, but doesn't quite succeed. That isn't to mean it's not a decently enjoyable time however. The film succeeds mostly to another fantastic performance given by Robert Downey. The biggest issue Iron Man 3 has is its fluctuating tonality. The mixture between seriousness and comedy isn't well blended. In fact, the way a scene can try to inspire a sense of gravitas, and then cut quickly to a joke is quite jarring. Some things are treated more like a cheap gag rather than a serious character twist. Nevertheless, the film does have a few interesting concepts, and the actors give their all. It's overall a decently good time at the cinema, even if it's lacking compared to the first film. Expand
  91. Apr 27, 2015
    In my opinion worst one of the series by far its like they ran out of gas for this series and took a knife to a gunfight. I gave this a 6 because the acting was great the movie was visually stunning at times but the thought of suffering in agony through this movie again is too much. The hardcore marvel fans are going to chew this up and spit it out rightfully so. The only reason for a fairIn my opinion worst one of the series by far its like they ran out of gas for this series and took a knife to a gunfight. I gave this a 6 because the acting was great the movie was visually stunning at times but the thought of suffering in agony through this movie again is too much. The hardcore marvel fans are going to chew this up and spit it out rightfully so. The only reason for a fair 6 like I said I felt it had great casting and at times was awsome but thats it. Expand
  92. Jul 18, 2013
    To start off my review, I have to say if you haven't watched Iron Man the first of the three, watch that first. Otherwise you won't know what an Iron Man movie should look like, I would highly recommend Iron Man 1 over 3 or 2 any day. But Iron Man does have some good things... The destruction has always been a big part of Iron Man and in Iron Man 3 they still bring that back, I just feltTo start off my review, I have to say if you haven't watched Iron Man the first of the three, watch that first. Otherwise you won't know what an Iron Man movie should look like, I would highly recommend Iron Man 1 over 3 or 2 any day. But Iron Man does have some good things... The destruction has always been a big part of Iron Man and in Iron Man 3 they still bring that back, I just felt the movie was so cheesy and there were really no characters to care about other than Tony Stark himself. Like I said before there are some good parts of the movie that I enjoyed, Tony Stark's humor is back and is still solid, the jokes were usually hit or miss but when they hit they were good. I recommend Iron Man 1 over and of the 2, as the second was mostly corny as well. I give this movie 6 only because of the humor, SFX, destruction and the opening 10-15 minutes were great. Otherwise I would stay away from this movie, and if you haven't seen the first one watch that! All the "reviewers" on this movie giving it a one have either a) based there opinion on just the one movie, not the trilogy b) based there review on how it did not follow the comic books which isn't a big deal c) have only wrote one review (spam). Otherwise I would recommend the movie to big action fans or fans of the series. Expand
  93. May 3, 2013
    This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action,This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action, and not remote controlled.
    Even the best action scene in the movie is not done by Tony Stark as the Iron Man, it is done by Pepper.... There are some good parts, the story is more personal and there is a kid in it that is not annoying for ones. There is lots of humor, even the worst part of the movie is still funny and the special effects are good. I did sit through the whole movie, but it is the first Marvel movie I doubt I would want to watch again, as there is nothing really re watchable about it.
  94. Jul 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie ...Eeesh, this movie.
    I'm just gonna say this at first.. I liked this movie.
    But the people down below giving this movie 0s and 1s are being fanboys, retards, and are completely talking out of their asses because they have NO IDEA what a REAL 0/10 movie is. Go see Titanic 2, Birdemic or the Room and come here saying this is a 0 you blind fanboys.
    As to the Mandarin twist. Who the hell cares? It's an okay twist that's bashed on and hated by blind fanboys that are WAY TOO mad that this movie isn't taken straight out of the comics without a single atom changing.
    The Mandarin twist could have been teased in better though. It felt really sudden and almost not backed up.
    If they had hinted it with some foreshadowing or maybe put in some random earlier things that wold have tied in when we found out.
    Now, one thing I DIDN'T like however, was that Pepper was the one to kill Killian/The Mandarin.
    Overall this is a great movie, go see it if you're not expecting it to be true to the comics at all.
    And don't mind the bad reviewers, most of them are just mad cause they didn't get their magician man.
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm pretty easy to please, and tend to like movies most others don't like, and movies most people do like. This was not one of those movies. They completely ruined the Mandarin, and the fact that Ben Kingsley was a complete hoax aside what was originally portrayed in the trailers reinforces the total disapointment that is Iron Man 3. They shouldn't have cast Ben Kingsley and his version of the "fake" Mandarin all together, and just ran with the burning orange bio-energy wielding Guy Pearce as the Mandarin instead. It would have had a cooler, less misdirecting feel with a better movie adaptation of a super villain.

The other, just as much if not more of a let down what how WEAK Iron Man was portrayed as in this movie. I know it's a typical comic book adaptation movie, where the hero deals with a new situation, gets the crap beat out of him/her, comes back and wins/saves the day/world. The whole movie Iron Man and Stark were like a joke, going through suits like toilet paper and getting crushed like tin cans. This is the SAME HERO that took on an ALIEN ARMY and a NORSE GOD, yet some freak science experiments are able to crush his suit like it's nothing?? This was all very underwhelming for what, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what an Iron Man movie should be like.

I hope he is better portrayed in the Avengers too, and my apologies to those who actually liked the movie, as I'm just stating my personal opinion in this review.
  96. May 24, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is better than its predecessor Iron Man 2, but its other predecessor, The Avengers, is slightly better. Has more humanity, by showing a hero fighting with post-traumatic stress, but that's not necessarily better because it’s not completely credible. But on the other hand is very funny, entertaining and full of action and Downey Jr. still does an excellent work with his characterIron Man 3 is better than its predecessor Iron Man 2, but its other predecessor, The Avengers, is slightly better. Has more humanity, by showing a hero fighting with post-traumatic stress, but that's not necessarily better because it’s not completely credible. But on the other hand is very funny, entertaining and full of action and Downey Jr. still does an excellent work with his character even in this context that may be a bit forced. These kinds of roles are for him, don't misinterpret it, and just watch him in this movie. And for the comic-book fans, the movie took a really risky decision with one character for the script. Expand
  97. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ***Spoilers like whoa, warning***

Over all id have to say i was mildly disappointed with Iron Man 3, and for several reasons.
    First and foremost, The Mandarin as a villain was a Chines born martial arts expert and got his supernatural abilities from 10 rings of power, he was NOT just the alter ego of Aldrich Killian(Guy Pearce in the movie), the scientist who helped invent the Extrmis Virus. Also, Iron Patriot was not a repainted war machine, he was Norman Osbourn in a stolen iron man suit.

Personally, ive always been a fan of Iron Man and the best parts of the movie for me, are watching Tony actually wearing a "working" suit of armor and fighting the villain of the movie using all the latest technologies he had developed for his latest edition of the suit. If you are like me, you will be disappointed, at least till the absolute very end, as Tony spends 90% of the movie out of his armor and the one he does don is a non combat ready prototype that barely has flight capabilities. I get where they were going with this, trying to show the more personal side of Tony and how he has evolved from a self centered rich douche to what he is now.

The Final battle is pretty cool though, although i was REALLY upset with the end. He destroys all his suits, has an operation so he no longer has to wear his arc reactor in his chest. Essentially, Tony Stark is done being Iron Man and is ready to start his life over with Pepper.....wtf.
    So much for Avengers 2?
  98. May 11, 2013
    This movie was an extreme disappointment to me. The quality of the Iron Man movies is dropping. While watching it it was great, but as soon as it finished and I got some time to think about what I just saw and I felt some sadness. The story was weird, the bad guys were weird and the whole movie felt off. Hadn't I seen the first two movies, I'd have given it a 7, but I know they can do better.
  99. May 12, 2013
    It is really fun and very enjoyable. The visual effect are very Well done but is a normal movie. The movie is not an spectacular movie but is really run to all family
  100. Jun 30, 2013
    I went to the cinema expecting a great supehero movie (like the first two films) and what I got was a comedy instead. Still a decent film, but I hope they get rid of at least 50% of the humor for the next Iron Man.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.