6.4

1. May 4, 2013
    I've never felt so cheated after watching that trailer. I realise that a trailer is not an abridged version of a film, but when I seen the trailer to Iron Man 3 it set a certain expectation for the Mandarin, for Tony Stark but it totally does not deliver at all, and to be completely honest I almost walked out at the end such was the ridiculous finale. When I got home I watched the trailer again and it;s like it was made for a different film.

If this is our first look at Phase 2 I'm concerned. Iron Man 3 shows franchise fatigue, it felt stretched, rushed, basically like a Brett Ratner film. Expect something more like Rush Hour than an Iron Man film.

Credit to Marvel for at least trying to concentrate on Tony Stark's inner demons, the problem for me was how the film presents that. Instead of intertwining the action and human (Stark inner demon) elements into a finely crafted whole film it is more like each element is fighting for screen time, at odds with each other. There is another problem with the parts where Tony is trying to get over his experience in New York (Avengers), Robert Downey Jr has so many wise cracks and laughs the serious bits come off as funny, and not in a good way. I think these problems are less about RDJ's acting and more with how Marvel has marketed Iron Man from the first film; as family friendly entertainment, not the darker exploration of an alcoholic come hero from the comics (but hey they can always reboot right?).

Now on to what they did with the Mandarin, I have no idea how they got Marvel to sign off on making one of Iron Man's greatest villains into a joke. I read that the Mandrin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman, but after watching this you would never know that. I've never witnessed such a disregard for a property and disrespect than what Marvel has done to this character and fans about what Fox does to X-Men? This is on another level of insult lol

A sorry excuse for a super hero movie, more an action comedy (Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour etc).
  2. May 3, 2013
    This is what i love about america... so many people hate our country but love our movies, music, and video games. Well this movie is gold, i loved it from start to finish. it is true that the mandarin isn't like the comic book one but in the dark knight rises bane isnt either so yeah shut up! please see this amazing movie this weekend so it proves that iron man is the hero and king of the american box office Expand
  3. May 3, 2013
    This is a big disappointment, they totally ruined a beloved villain and a big slap in the face of fans. The movie has lots of issues, like why can the extremis infused bad guys damage Iron Man so easily, while Thor had issues with it... He is the god of thunder! And the action is mostly just Tony Stark messing about, some of it is good, but what we really want to see is Iron Man in action, and not remote controlled.
    Even the best action scene in the movie is not done by Tony Stark as the Iron Man, it is done by Pepper.... There are some good parts, the story is more personal and there is a kid in it that is not annoying for ones. There is lots of humor, even the worst part of the movie is still funny and the special effects are good. I did sit through the whole movie, but it is the first Marvel movie I doubt I would want to watch again, as there is nothing really re watchable about it.
  4. May 3, 2013
    So Shane Black you hate comic-fans so much? Well... we hate you in return. Thanks for ruining our beloved hero with such an ease. I hope Marvel will never turn an eye on you. God damn it, Black. We are disappointed.
  5. May 4, 2013
    I have to say that this movie was a disappointment overall. Mandarin aside, which comic junkies will kill this film for, this movie just wasn't Ironman. Yes, there are a ton of Ironman suits, but Tony Stark spends more time being James Bond than Ironman. The emotions and stress that Stark is dealing with is interesting, and the subtle references to The Avengers is good, but other than that, this movie had no real depth at all. The motives for the bad guys is not really evident, nor is the explanation of the extremis virus. One minute you have a glowing man turning into a bomb and the next you have 10 glowing guys who breathe fire and regenerate except when killed?!?!?!?! All the Ironman suits were cool but how they get to that point is pretty pointless. It was an ok movie, and probably better than the second one, but was more of a money grab than a great film. Expand
  6. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot didn't seem to click with this movie, as with the previous Iron Man films. The villains are always so underdeveloped or underused to the point of asking, who is Iron Man fighting? After ruining Whiplash who was perfectly cast, they completely ruined Mandarin. I'm not a huge comic buff but I know enough to realize it was done poorly. That doesn't make the review though, the movie as a movie just wasn't good regardless. The run time of two hours and fifteen minutes felt like four hours and thirty minutes. There were a lot of parts that just didn't seem to matter. Additionally, there was a lot of screen time of Iron Man not being Iron Man. Where Tony Stark would sneak around like beloved secret agent 007 but I felt it really didn't fit the character. Especially since it didn't make any sense as later in the film we discover he had fifty Iron Man suits waiting under his house. Instead he decides to fix up the 42 and fight the baddies in human skin. The reason I disliked him being out of the suit is because we know he isn't trained like Batman/Bruce Wayne, Iron Man is the suit. On the topic of things not mattering, Mandarin attacking Iron Man's home. We all know he has a huge ego and endangered those he loved but of course being a super hero movie, nothing significant happened. We see that suits are blowing up but later in the film Jarvis commands like fifty more that are unharmed. The hero of the movie is Jarvis, his AI Jeeves. And this begs the question, if those suits were dormant underneath his house, why didn't he just call upon them while he was stranded in Tennessee? I guess there wouldn't be a movie then, right?
    As far as the humor goes, I definitely found myself laughing at parts which was nice but it also took away from the overall weight and depth the movie might have been going for. Instead of trying to save a president who is dangling high above ground or his girlfriend from evil clutches, jokes are being made about being shot at, etc. Thankfully though, all the bad guys suffer from stormtrooper syndrome. So Iron Man, basically Jarvis though, can save the day woo hoo! In the matter of Pepper, her purpose was to be injected and dropped into the fire so that she could live the drop and the fire haha. Saw that one coming but seriously, I hated that. I guess I just want a movie where a bad guy doesn't keep the hero's GF around as a trophy or doesn't give a long speech about how they're the best and just shoots them. Anyway, I'm a bit upset I spent a whopping $25 for two tickets to a movie my girlfriend and I were just begging to be over so we could go about our merry way. For whatever reason, I thought this would be different from Iron Man 2 but I don't know why I thought that. If you look at it with total disregard for comic canon, reality (i know it's a super hero movie), and sense; it can be kind of fun. Definitely a rent in the future and not worthy of the shelf!
  7. May 4, 2013
    My heart is successfully broken. Waiting to see it at midnight at the El Capitan, I watched with anticipation as director Shane Black took the stage to introduce, joking about the silliness of the Fantastic Four films. I now see the irony. Did they spray excrement all over The Mandarin? Yes, but that pales in comparison to everything else wrong with this film. Huge plot holes, failed character motivation/development, and just downright bizarre and/or silly pointless choices are all factors. Worst yet, it also somehow manages to nullify the very theme of the previous movies. I'm not sure how the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe would ever recover from this slaughtering of tonal continuity.

One word comes to mind: Why??? It's as if Shane Black decided to insert Iron Man characters into an old 90's action thriller comedy script he happened to have lying around, throwing in silly, plastic dumbed-down "bad guys" from G.I. Joe and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. So many of the characters are pointless or have terribly weak, if any motivation for behaving like they do. Even the magical bravado of RDJ couldn't save it, and that's saying a lot. Of course there are funny and clever bits and some slick and cool action, but when a film has all that and loyal fans are still sitting there not caring or invested at all whatsoever, it's a problem. In any case, Black clearly doesn't get it, and apparently no one saw fit to help him out.

I suppose it's possible you could enjoy it if you are able to look past all these flaws and can watch it absolutely out of context from the comics, the other Iron Man movies, and entire Marvel/Avengers franchise. If not...it's painful. Needless to say, I walked away with nothing to think but "What the hell did I just watch?" "Was this FOX's interpretation of Iron Man?" "Whedon, WHERE WERE YOU??" Unfortunately, we now know nothing is truly safe, not even in the hands of Marvel Studios themselves. It really is a shame. Feige and the Marvel gang have a lot of explaining to do.
  8. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So first of all, I want to say that I loved this movie, but I do get the hate on it, for it's controversial plottwist.
    But there are some reasons why some fanboys shoud NOT be so angry about it;
    - first of all, the fake mandarin was set up, to not set up a racist stereotype and more of like a fun character.
    - aldrich killian revealed that he was the real mandarin, he even had some dragontattoos across his chest.
    - a big part of the fanbase was angry at Tony throwing his arc reactor away at the end, but Tony states that he is still Iron Man and he picks up one of the extremis holders, which will likely mean that he will build an extremis suit, powered by repulsor technology (which has also been confirmed as the new energysource for the suits.) and this will set up a suit that will allow Tony to go into space with it, and this will probably set up the bridge between guardians of the galaxy and avengers 2.

so for me this was a very good movie, and I think they've done a great job with expanding the MCU even further
  9. May 3, 2013
    The movie for one was anticipated. I waited and waited for its release and yes it was worth the wait. Robert Downy Jr. has once again claimed his crown or rather his mask of being Iron Man, The story was simple and short and for those of you who haven't watched the movie yet, I promise you there will be a part where you will be confused. All I am saying is that the poster you see is a deception. The movie Definitively has a lot of laughs, the action too is spectacular with his solo performance without the Avengers. This movie shows what a Superhero can do when going through a worst case scenario.
    Brilliant Performance and I look forward to future films by Marvel Studio.
  10. May 3, 2013
    This movie had some good comedic parts. However, a lot of the jokes got old as they recycled them through out most of the movie. Unfortunately, I felt that the big twist in the movie was to set up a cheap laugh. While it was a funny scene, it detracted from the rest of the story. Iron Man 3 consistently prioritized humor at the expense of the story. I did laugh a few times, but overall I found myself wondering "what the hell is the point of this movie." The villains felt shallow, the heroes (i.e. Iron Man and War Machine) seemed absent, and a lot of it just kinda felt like a Tony Stark pity party. As a Marvel fan I have to give this film a 4, but honestly, if I was watching any other movie I don't see myself giving it higher than a 6. The people that I saw the movie with weren't as generous as me. It just missed the mark on so many levels. Expand
  11. May 3, 2013
    Ok so this movie disappointed me why because it ruined the comic book lore. I will give it that yes it had cool special effects and action and funny lines but in reality this is a Iron man movie and expected a movie to follow Iron mans story but it didnt.
  12. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A slap to the fans of Comic books in general. The Mandarin was the joker of the Iron man world. Instead we get trevor and all he did to Iron man was offered him some beer. Expand
  13. May 3, 2013
    This movie was okay, with a dash of disappointment.

If you absolutely love RDJ or the character of Tony Stark, you will love this movie. The character really shines in this film, doing so much more in this movie, and who is the main focus of this film (not Iron Man). Don Cheadle is still awkward and displays bad on-screen chemistry in this movie. Newcomers Guy Pearce and Rebecca Hall
    aren't any better, but Hall does have a very touching scene with RDJ.

There are some very good scenes that truly highlight the tone of the movie itself, but the writing in some of the scenes kill the direction they were going for. The worst parts of the film revolve around the big twist and in a few scenes that remind me of Iron Man 2. The big twist really starts nailing a coffin for the movie, while unexpected, kills what you would expect from all the trailers. And reminding me of Iron Man 2, a movie where they basically goofed off from the critical success of its predecessor, is already a bad sign that the movie started to take a downward dive into failure. I couldn't take it seriously, which was supposed to be the tone of the movie?

The humor is remarkably great, I even laughed a few times and really enjoyed it. Iron Man 3 borrowed already familiar elements, that being the Extremis storyline, Iron Patriot, and The Mandarin. They failed in properly using these great elements in this film, especially with The Mandarin.

Iron Man 3 was a film that was going in the right direction, using great elements from the comics to enhance the scale of it's story, but ultimately failed to deliver and didn't make a great entry into Marvel's Phase 2 of it's cinematic universe.
  14. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS

What was it I just saw, a drug that turns people into invincible lava people, and a villain, that's not really a villain but an actor, a woman fall 1000 feet or more to the ground and live, at least 10 iron man suits run by remote control.
    Best scene Barrel of monkeys, worst scene everything else.
  15. May 3, 2013
    Left a theater disappointed!!! Aside couple of clever jokes it was boring experience. Iron Man just became damn circus start to finish. They need to give Tony a break after this one. And don't spend your money on 3D one: it's barely have any. My advice: watch Avengers one more time for proper Tony Stark
  16. May 3, 2013
    To me this movie clearly signals the decline of the superhero genre as a whole, with Avengers having been the peak. It was just so underwhelming and boring with very few action scenes, a flat and self indulgent humour, shallow "characters" (can they really be called characters at this point, I mean a guy in the movie ends up wanting to destroy the world because he got stood up seriously...), and an extremely clumsy plot with a very silly twist that makes little sense. The tone was also all over the place, alternating between silly bits (which weren't particularly funny, except for one or two one-liners, just absurd) and pretty grave and dark bits, all with almost no transition. I really hope Man of Steel and Wolverine can bring it back, because this is just not what a good superhero should be like in my honest opinion and it failed at making me excited for phase 2 of the Avengers. Expand
  17. May 4, 2013
    Slow and dull a number of times. Ben K worst roll and a true insult to his acting ability. A tired script doomed 1000 times. Too much RDJ out of the suit and really stark has pds I'm sorry he's been through hell numereous times now he has anxiety breakdowns aweful. Good action but terrible script.
  18. May 3, 2013
    Better than Iron Man 2, but not better than Iron Man 1 or the Avengers. The story line was decent, but it was slightly confusing and fast-paced. The story did not follow the comics and the powers of Extremis were a little over exaggerated (Hint: Breathing fire). The ending was just okay, but the producers could have done a better job with this movie.
  19. May 3, 2013
    It was great and entertaining a lot it is a great follow-up to The Avengers, visually it is amazing, the 3D is really good but it felt a little bit long, but still it is superb threequel to the Iron Man franchise.
  20. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Average movie. It had HUGE potential to be one of the best movies of all time however it ruined that opportunity.
    Below are the top 7 issues with the movie:
    1) Mandarin was a BIG disappointment. Viewers were taken for granted. I mean c'mon who thought of this twist? It would have been such a great character ruined by school going script writers. Seriously.
    2) There is no real justification or any explanation of how the mutants are so powerful than Iron man. Just by injecting a serum they turn into superhumans???
    3) The plot was ridiculous with no coherent string to it. Same old story I want to take over the world" blah blah crap
    4) Most of the plot elements are a direct rip off from recent super hero movies. For e.g the mandarin twist is straight from Dark knight rises climax when Bane is shown as just a decoy element
    5) The action scenes (there is just one main one at the climax) are just too many explosions to really make sense of what is happening. Just the climax so many explosions and so many Robots flying in the air is just too much to absorb
    6) Pepper is one of the worst looking actress to be paired with Tony stark. C;mon there are better looking hot actresses to die for with some intelligence. She is just shown as one dumb bimbo who can't even figure out the real motive of the villain.
    7) So many explosions happening all around for e.g the entire house collapses and there is no fractures or no grave injuries to any of the survivors. Ok the ion man suit comes to the rescue but it is not until pepper, the other lady and Iron man gets thrown around by huge explosions
  21. May 14, 2013
    Not a bad movie, there is a lot more action than there was in Iron Man 2. It has a strange pace which I can't really describe. I think it could had been better in terms of storyline because it's slightly typical and expectant of what is going to happen, and I think the main character Tony Stark has became more of a joke, and takes things a lot less serious, which I thought was a bit unrealistic considering what has happened to him. But never the less, it's an entertaining movie thats worth watching. Expand
  22. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is exactly what I wanted the other instalments to be and I thought the tone in this instalment really worked well with the film. This sequel surpasses its predecessor and is not just one of the best Marvel Universe films, but a promising start to Phase 2. This film would have got a perfect score if it weren't for some scenes/performances that came off as silly and campy and I honestly expected a more emotional conclusion. In the end, Iron Man 3 is one of my favourite Marvel Universe films and is a great end to the Iron Man trilogy. Expand
  23. May 3, 2013
    It is fair to say that Marvel is reusing a formula that has been working for them for a few years now. Action, humour, heroes, villains and clever twists. This is might be the best Iron Man yet however, it is starting to show that their effort to go one bigger each time results to more convoluted fighting scenes and I can only imagine the next installments being more difficult to follow.
  24. May 5, 2013
    LOVED IT! Possibly my favorite of the trilogy. The director shows us Tony Stark in ways we've not yet seen him before, and Robert Downey Jr is absolutely brilliant in the role. This is the fourth movie to feature Iron Man, and each time Marvel makes the suits more bad ass than before. Yes, the hardcore comic book fans will have a few gripes, but for the rest of us, this movie sets the bar very high for summer 2013 releases. Expand
  25. May 8, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is dragged down by because of its uninteresting villains, but it still isn't enough to destroy the overall great entertainment value here. Sadly if you disliked Iron Man 2, you are likely to dislike Iron Man 3 as well.
  26. May 3, 2013
    A highly anticipated movie that had no chance of living up to expectations. While it was a decent movie, I personally didn't think it was anything special. The plot was supposed to show Tony's life after the Avenger movie and the issues that have popped up since then. Well they succeeded but they never wrapped that part up during the movie. Most of the other plot points that were brought up during the course of the movie were either fairly dull and didn't live up to expectations or were kinda pointless. The Villain was a huge joke here. I wasn't an Iron Man fan before these movies but I heard plenty of them feel insulted with the way the Mandarin was treated and especially with the role that Sir Ben Kingsley ended up playing. But there were good parts too. It was nice to see all the armors he had made and the last fight scene was pretty neat. Nothing spectacular but it did it's job real well. However, the rest of the plot was pretty lame. I would say this is the worst Marvel superhero movie they have made in a long time and I hope they redeem themselves later this year with Thor. Expand
  27. May 9, 2013
    About one quarter of the way through this movie, it became painfully obvious that Robert Downey Jr's contract with Marvel was complete after Iron-man 3. He basically sleep-walks through the part and yes this movie disgraces the character The Mandarin. So much potential was seemingly thrown out the window on this one. Gweneth Paltrow said in an interview that Robert ad-libbed many scenes in the first two movies but stuck mainly to the script on this one. You can tell. I took my son to see this and he left saying,"Now I hate Iron-man." Just an FYI- Robert wants 105 million to resume the role for Avengers 2. Studio is halting production due to salary talks. Lets hope they can fix this ego issue, cause I'm a big Downey Jr fan. Iron-man three was terrible. Expand
  28. May 3, 2013
    A great sequel that takes the best elements of the original two and adds too them in mostly every way. May not be as good as the avengers but its still up there. I understand that hardcore fans of 'The Mandarin' might not like this version of the character, but I enjoyed this reinvention, Ben Kingsley is intimidating and surprisingly funny. Honestly that character might be one of the highlights of the film for me. Expand
  29. May 4, 2013
    It's a good movie. It is certainly better than Iron Man 2 which was only made to promote The Avengers but it is not nearly as good as the first Iron Man. There are so many plot holes and some stupid moments. Overall it is a fun film and it is worth watching in the theater because of the great special effects and action sequences. It has snappy and funny dialogue and all the performances are good. Not bad at all, but this film feels like an appetizer before the main meal which will be Man Of Steel. Expand
  30. May 9, 2013
    Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) almost loses it all, but the plot doesn't really matter. There are certain things we've come to expect from this franchise and this installment delivers (possibly the best yet). Cool gadgets and flashy effects. Big action sequences. Enjoyable characters. Genuinely funny interactions. It snaps along with great skill and lots of fun! Everything a comic book flick should be. NOTE: Of course, stay thru the credits for a funny cameo. Expand
  31. May 6, 2013
    My favorite of the trilogy so far, with a twist that no one will see coming, second only to the avengers itself. All comic book fans owe it to themselves to see this beautiful movie.
  32. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3 is the epic continuation of story about famous superhero. It's good, not ideal. Iron Man 3 has an unexpected outcome with a main villian, augmented story of previous films and funny jokes of protagonist (not always). And yet, the movie lived up to my expectations. Expand
  33. May 8, 2013
    If you loved Iron Man, then this is a move for you. Not as good as Iron Man, but better than Iron Man 2. If you like action movies, this is worth seeing. There are some flaws, but this is not movie that claims to based on a true story or real event. It is a action movie based on a comic book hero. There are going to be things you are a stretch. Classic "Rambo" type moments where you know someone should have died or been hurt, but somehow escapes harm and impossible shots made time and time again.

The acting is a mix of okay to good. The pace of the movie is generally good. The special effects are generally solid. It is worth seeing at a theater.
  34. May 7, 2013
    An amazing action movie! Arguably the best in the series! The action was amazing and the acting was impeccable. The only mishaps were in the story itself. Some of it felt a bit rushed but overall, one of the best movies I have seen in a while
  35. May 3, 2013
    While watching “Iron Man 3” you can think about many things like 1) How many iron man appear in the span of the movie? 2) How many crouch shots did director Shane Black plan? 3) How many of the few very funny lines were ad libbed by Robert Downey Jr. or written by co-screenwriters Mr. Black and Drew Pearce? 4) What’s the body count? 5) Are you going crazy because in the opening of the film you thought the female was a brunette Gwyneth Paltrow? 5) Will Downey, Jr. ever do a non-action film and show his power as an actor like he did in “Charlie Chaplin” 6) How many films have been made in the past decade where the President of the United States has his life in danger?

None of the above will distract you from the film as the basics are old hat to anyone who has seen a Marvel comic book film or just the first two “Iron Man” movies. Yes there are the villains, Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce, who want to take over the world, Iron Man’s very smart girlfriend Gwyneth Paltrow, multi, actually too many, special effects under the supervision of Dan Sudick, not to forget constant explosions, again a case of too many. The music is loud, too loud at times, but that is the nature of superhero movies. Also, true to the genre it is too long by about 15-20 minutes.

Robert Downey jr. looks very good with he sculptured beard and toned body. Gwyneth Paltrow’s role seems to be a bit longer in this third outing while Pearce and Kingsley are more than adequate as the mean guys. A standout is Ty Simpkins who is a young kid whose father has split and Tony Stark/Iron Man is his hero and he has a chance to help his hero. Jon Favreau as Tony’s head security, Don Cheadle as Col. Rhodes/War Machine, Rebecca Hall as a botanist and Paul Bettany, as the voice of a robo, give good support.

“Iron Man:3” is the first of many big blockbuster films coming down the pike this summer season and, already a big hit money wise, though a fast moving, entertaining film, hopefully not the best of them.
  36. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is the movie that makes the fans believe in the legend and power of Tony Stark. Iron Man 3 is totally a new original story that has come into life by director Shane Black who brought us the unusual Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's epic and awesome at times. So this powerful sequel is about Tony Stark who's life falls apart by a terrorist named Mandarin, with the help of James Rhodes he seeks revenge. In this plot Pepper Potts digs deeper into the superhero we all know. Basically this movie is something you have never seen before, new suit and new story. IronMan 3 is the movie of the year. The comic scenes were funny and the action was good. Worth watching in 3D. You will not waste your money. But in the end my long wait has finally ended. With satisfaction. Expand
  37. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is two different films the first half is a ten with all the cool dialogue and all those awesome Mandarin videos. I was getting so excited seeing such a great villain he seemed so menacing and seemed like we were headed for an epic battle and then the twist happens and the rest of the film is just a five. To me the film lost a lot if its heart except for some moments with Tony and Rhodes. Plus I know they acknowledged the Avengers several times, but with all Tony went through (even being presumed dead) your telling me not one of the Avengers would show up to help. I can understand no Hulk with all the destruction and unpredictability he brings and I can understand no Thor as he's hanging out on another planet, but we couldn't see Captain America or Hawkeye or finally Black Widow she was in the entire second one. So I would have liked to seen at least one. Overall Downey is at his best here and some of the stuff with the kid in Tennessee is fantastic, but the Mandarin twist and a lackluster second half drops this film to a seven. Expand
  38. May 3, 2013
    Generally decent. Some good one liners, some bad ones. Good action sequences, some bad ones. Overall, it's a fun distraction, but it can't compare to the Avengers.
  39. May 18, 2013
    Ok, you nerd fanboys need to just SHUT UP, I don't care if the direction they take annoys the hell out of you, its just summer fun with a darker tone and people need to release that
  40. May 3, 2013
    The one thing I hate about Iron Man 3, "EVERYTHING"!!!!! 1 pt coz I sat for full 130 min expecting that something will happen but nothing happened
  41. May 3, 2013
    For me this was an massive disappointment, after the avengers i really couldn't wait for the next iron man. After waiting for almost a year it was finally here, but i would love to know why they decided to destroy everything I and most other fans loved about the movies.

The film starts well and just got worse and worse then the big twist came, they took the character mandarin and
    basically just said F**K YOU to the fans. And the way they ended it just ruined the series.

I had to go home and watch the Avengers to cleanse myself of this garbage. Thanks for wasting 130 minutes of my life, oh and the extra 7 minutes for the after credits scene which was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!!!!
  42. May 4, 2013
    Going into this movie I was very excited to see what the third installment in the "Iron Man" series would give me. Would it be the disappointment that was "Spider Man 3" or a wonderful ride like "The Dark Knight Rises"? Well after going to see the move and coming out I will say it was a very decent movie. While most fans and critics may attack this movie for not following the comics, many inaccuracies and overall slapping fans in the face, I for one thought the movie was very clever. Now I see see most movies in the Marvel and DC Universes their own stories. Not to be taken canon or to heart with the comic stories. They are their own story and that's the way this movie should be viewed.

The overall story is that a terrorist known as "The Mandarian" portrayed by Ben Kingsley is setting off bombs and causing mass destruction and death all across the United States in order to get to the president of the US. With Tony Stark/Iron played by Tony Stark challenges "The Mandarian" to come after him, so that he may finish off the the threat once and for all. the whole story is set in motion by a flash back to 1999 where Tony Stark is attending a New Year's Eve party and hooking up at the end with a woman who is on the verge of a new way for humans to evolve. Which involves a part of the brain that would allow for regeneration of limbs and many other powers, creating meta-humans. To which a handicapped man approaches Tony and his date about a proposal to join A.I.M or Advanced Idea Mechanics. To which Tony gives his sarcastic remarks and tells him he will meet him on the roof. To no surprise Tony doe snot show and this leads the man to find his own way to get his idea off the ground. This leads this man known as Aldrich Killian played by Guy Pearce to come to Stark Industries to once again try to get Tony or more importantly Stark Industries and Pepper Potts played by Gwyneth Paltrow to sign on with AIM. It is noted that Pepper and Aldrich have a past but it is never gone into or explained which did disappoint me a little. The story does drag a bit until Tony's friend Happy Hogan played by Jon Farveau is put into a coma by another Mandarian attack. To which Tony challenges the Mandarian and leads to his house being destroyed and Tony going to Tennessee. the reason behind that being that when Tony is looking into the blast that hurt Happy and killed others, he noticed an anomaly of high temperatures and uses his vast amount of technology to find similar cases to which a case in Tennessee is discovered and wasn't linked to the Mandarian attacks, and asked JARVAS played by Paul Bettany to set course for later. when he lands, he is presumed dead by the world and meets up with a young boy named Harley played by Ty Simpkins who discovers Tony in his mothers garage and helps out Tony with his investigation. The interaction between the two is very funny and heart warming at times, though in a weird way, with Tony dishing out smart remarks and insults to hide his growing amount of anxiety of the New York event (The Avengers). While this story is going on Don Cheadle as Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes Iron Patriot is trying to protect the President by trying to find the Mandarin's location. With a few loose ends and a few confusing scenes the story seems to play itself out well and leads to one of the most spectacular ending I've seen in a while, though I will not say what happens, you'll have to see it for yourself.

The interactions between characters is great for some but poorly with others. Tony by himself trying fight his worries and anxiety of the alien invasion New York is a nice touch, to show Tony's human side and the struggles that he has that can make him relateable. The relationship between Pepper and Tony is really shown fin full here with everything from the fights to the love for each other that they possess is surly believable. The interaction between Ty and Tony is very cute and heart warming at times, with each learning from the other and becoming friends along the way. However which Col. Rhodes and tony on screen it is a bore. They don't really say a whole lot of interesting things and make the scene drag on for a good long while.

Now the action was intense and very much a joy to watch. From explosions, disruptor blasts and even armor flying through the air, it was spectacular. With not a ton of Iron Man action until the end, it still managed to keep my entertained throughout. The comedy was much better than any of the previous movies and made me want to go see it again just to have that good laugh again.

This movie was a movie much like the Dark Knight Rises. To show the hero rising up and learning something new and overcoming a new challenge in order to beat a new and almost unbeatable adversary. It is something to be enjoyed in both the story and action sense. As I said don't take the movie to heart when it comes to the comic, or you will be disappointed. If I have convinced you, go give it a watch.
  43. May 4, 2013
    Why is everybody hating on this movie?It has a great story,a interesting twist once you have thought about it for a while,amazing effects and an amazing final battle.
  44. May 4, 2013
    This is definitely one of the better Marvel movies for sure. While not as good as the original film, it definitely came very close to reaching that level. Although a bit of the film dragged, it's on my must see list for this summer. If this is what the post Avengers films level of film making and storytelling will be, I'm definitely looking forward to Thor this November.
  45. May 11, 2013
    This movie was an extreme disappointment to me. The quality of the Iron Man movies is dropping. While watching it it was great, but as soon as it finished and I got some time to think about what I just saw and I felt some sadness. The story was weird, the bad guys were weird and the whole movie felt off. Hadn't I seen the first two movies, I'd have given it a 7, but I know they can do better.
  46. May 13, 2013
    People mad at the "twist" need to get over themselves as I have a feeling that it isn't what it appears to be. Call it a hunch. The movie was entertaining and well-made which is the reason you should be spending the money to see a movie anyway. As usual people focus on what they don't like instead of what they do. Don't listen to the haters and see this movie if only for the Malibu scene alone which is one of the most amazing things I have seen in movies in a long while. Expand
  47. May 5, 2013
    Not a bad movie, but I had heard it had received great reviews and expected something more, it is what it is, a fun silly superhero summer blockbuster.

I did have a few problems, aside from a bit of naivety in listening to the hype. Firstly, do we really have to a have a cute, yet suffering fatherless kid to save characters both emotionally and in the heat if battle? When I was a child
    watching movies, I didn't have to have a kid in each story to 'relate' to, I wanted to be Indiana Jones, or Luke Skywalker and they were quite a bit older than me. The bullying line was especially shoehorned in and his entire (and lengthy) portions of the film could have been cut.

The jokes, some were okay, but most have been done to death. We've heard the line 'better leave that toilet a few minutes', we've seen flying parts hits in the groin, & the next flying part hit the bottom to bowl the Stooge head over heels so many times. Tony Stark is a character for cutting lines, snappy returns and over the top self-confidence, slapstick humour works sometimes, but it feels like lazy writing and cheap laughter tricks to use the same few over & over again in movies and not even try for some wit.

The villains motivations were vague and paper thin and didn't really seem to be of much concern for anyone.

Tony's trauma over what happened in the Avengers movie was either poorly acted or poorly scripted, it just wasn't made clear what or why it affected him so badly. The super-hero needs some therapy, I'm okay-ish with that, but when the hero is essentially just a normal guy in a special suit, like Tony Stark is, then wouldn't someone else better trained be more suitable in the suit? He could just be the design man, which he doesn't seem to be any more because his computer seems to be able to do and build anything at the wave of a hand. Again it felt a bit shoehorned in, this time just to provide a story link.

Which leads on to my final and biggest issue. If anyone can just climb into an IM suit and use it and even more significantly they seem to work perfectly well with nobody inside, what's the point of Tony Stark the Iron Man?

Easy summer fun, but don't expect anything close to an 'adult' superhero movie.
  48. May 6, 2013
    This is all FUN! Go in with that mindset. The action is there, the effects are top-rate, and the storyline is interesting albeit a little muddy in spots. Downey Jr. is superb as ever.....this is his finest performance of the series. Still though, there really aren't many surprises here. The action is of course amazing, but still I felt a little robbed with the unanswered questions I had about a few plot holes. However, this is still a fun film and a good one to. You'd have to be a stiff not to enjoy it! Expand
  49. May 12, 2013
    My least favorite of all the marvel studios releases. The movie would have been fine Without Mandarin. What a shame. Seems a complete waste of resources. Also "Home depot stark?" How does a billionaire playboy with a fondness for gadgets suddenly become Jason Bourne and single handedly assault a mansion with Mercenary guards, with Home depot gagdets. So bad.
  50. May 13, 2013
    Well how exactly were Marvel going to better the raging success and massive hit that was The Avengers? With Shane Black thats how.
    Robert Downey Jr. returns to Tony Stark land after saving the world from Loki’s alien army in New York, but that is exactly why he is having such a hard time. He simply cannot get round the fact that there are aliens and gods in the world he lives in. As he
    attempts to better his suit using several motions only with his arm, there is another very real threat in the form of The Mandarin, played by the fantastic Ben Kingsley.
    This guy is out simply to prove the point that he cannot be found, but that he can do very real damage to America. Tony struggles to separate himself from his suits to the point of having anxiety attacks when he thinks about the events of New York. Another shady character thrown into the mix is Aldrich Killian, played by Guy Pearce, he is attempting to put out is Extremis endeavour with the help of Stark. But as several events start to unfold, it is clear to Tony that not everyone is who they say they are, and Tony must pick himself up after an explosive incident at his home, and he must find a way to stop The Mandarin.
    Shane Black has simply revitalised the Iron Man genre after the disappointing second outing, in the directors chair and as a co-writer. He has brought to us a very humorous and clever film that simply goes in at full steam, never trying to better The Avengers, but showing that a brilliant story can be told along with sublime action sequences and character development that will never cease to amaze, with only one of the Avengers there.
    With quite a major but also hysterical twist, it will truly show the writing power of Black, who has made this superhero film his own, along with very interesting characters.
    Downey Jr. is on fine form yet again as our suited up hero, he begins to show true balance between his life as Iron Man but also his commitment to his girlfriend Pepper Potts, played again by Gwyneth Paltrow who has an expanded and very significant role in the third outing. Ben Kingsley has to be one of the highest points of the film, combining his unique take on a comic book legend and with a wonderfully bizarre tone of speaking that makes it all the better.
    James Badge Dale, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and also former director Jon Favreau are on excellent form, combining these extraordinary characters with a commanding story and spectacular effects, this really is a superb follow up in a post-Avengers universe, and the best solo Marvel film to grace the screen.
    You would be a fool not to treat yourself to this remarkable film, with enough one-liners to make it an excellent comedy, mixed with the spectacular action, and of course a post-credit scene that for what it symbolises is just fantastic to watch, don’t miss out on the third, but hopefully not the last solo outing for Iron Man.
  51. May 5, 2013
    Plot: Even a great hero, faces his match sometimes. This was perhaps what the Iron Man was missing the most. That is until the Mandarin came along. Showing little emotion, Ben Kingsley emulates a terrorist to perfection. Places are bombed with no trace of the type of explosive device left behind. He challenges everything Iron Man stands for. Slowly midst all the chaos, a pattern seems to emerge in the way the chaos unfolds. In the end, Tony Stark issues an open challenge to the Mandarin to come and fight him face-to-face.

Tony is made to pay dearly for this. Mandarin's reach is beyond Tony's wildest expectation. He takes hit after hit. In a couple of moments the life and home of Tony Stark come crashing down. He is put in such a precarious situation that losing all his tech (including the Iron Man) is probably the last of his woes! Even with his long time pal Colonel James Rhodes trying to help him out, Stark cannot get out of sudden anxiety attacks. In the meanwhile, he befriends a little boy when trying to figure out how to tackle Mandarin.

With the world looking vulnerable once again, Mandarin pushes on. His target now includes the President of the United States. With no one around to stop, evil seems to spread in all directions. Can the man inside the suit muster courage and help salvage his pride, is what forms the rest of the movie.

Effects: This movie is technically brilliant. The sight of Iron Man crouching on one leg ready to spring to action is simply exhilarating. Given the fact that we get to see almost an army of Iron Men, makes it all the more enjoyable. The sound effects keep the visuals at pace. At no point could I feel the effect was overdone.

There are a couple of scenes really worth mentioning. For example, the brilliant scene that is shown in the trailer where Stark's mansion is torn down, is even more brilliant in its full length. There was one more visual where Dr. Killian gives a demonstration of the live feed of his brain. The concept itself is cool and I somehow felt the visual was even more glorious to watch on large screen.

The action sequences, though not that many (sadly) were still worth waiting for. The climax is like a crescendo and makes worth watching on a big 3D screen.

Cast: There is no viable replacement for Robert Downey, in my opinion. So the producer's better pay up and retain him in any immediate sequence (Avengers sequences included)! This guy nails the character so well. Paltrow makes a fine girlfriend, but I felt there were a few scenes like the one where she meets Dr. Killian after years, when she under performed.

Ben Kingsley fits in so well. The way in which he portrays a terrorist and a show man with élan is really unbelievable. He is the show-stealer in all the scenes; even when he shares the stage with the inimitable Mr. Downey Jr. Others like Cheadle, Pearce do justice to their role. However I felt the later was underutilized. Ty Simpkins probably acted a wee bit more sheepish than was required but I think that kind of felt good on the whole.

Direction: Shane Black has done decently in his first Iron Man flick. If the intention was to show more of Stark (the human) than just the gloss and glamor of the man in the armor then he certainly excelled.

I do have second thoughts on whether this kind of story will hold good in the future. People flock to cinemas to see superheros like Iron Man kick evil bosses butts. But the director kind of makes up in the climax.

There is also this humor portion of the script, which was kind of nicely handled. There were a handful of scenes which had the audience in splits. Especially the one where Tony (all tied up) awaits his suit when he is talking to a couple of bad guys. Overall, I feel the director has portions to improve, but there is no major flaw that is worth talking about.

Read the full review review at http://blog.nrajesh.com/review-iron-man-3-2013
  52. May 5, 2013
    Iron Man 3 pits brash-but-brilliant industrialist Tony Stark/Iron Man against an enemy whose reach knows no bounds. When Stark finds his personal world destroyed at his enemy’s hands, he embarks on a harrowing quest to find those responsible. This journey, at every turn, will test his mettlele. With his back against the wall, Stark is left to survive by his own devices, relying on his ingenuity and instincts to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him: does the man make the suit or does the suit make the man? [Marvel Studios Expand
  53. May 3, 2013
    @J-P-M we don't hate your country, What we really hate is united statiants. by the way, good movie. ...the best of the Marvel films with its complex story, exciting action, great cast and special effects.
  54. May 5, 2013
    The movie was definitely fun to watch and very well done from a production standpoint. But I think it falls short with regards to story and direction because it tried to be very humorous at otherwise serious scenes which in my opinion took away from the plot. I didn't like that direction. It was the best of the iron man movies and better than the avengers but definitely not at the level of batman. Sometimes it seems Marvel just puts out movies that are merely "good" but not "great" just to keep milking that cash cow. I do hope the next few start to have a more serious tone. Expand
  55. May 13, 2013
    Was surprised the amount of negative heat this film was taking, but as someone who has seen all the Marvel movies, I would say this one was easily the best. RDJ stepped up the acting (check), refreshing villians (check), more Don Cheadle given more to do (check).....people just need to get over themselves and quit hating an excellent popcorn flick. Here is hoping RDJ isnt done playing Tony Stark Expand
  56. May 3, 2013
    Saw this last night at the 9pm showing (which wasn't very packed, but everything apparently decided to come to midnight, lol) Anyway, the movie was awesome. Not quite a good at the first, but definately better than the second. I enjoyed quite a few things of the movie some of them containing spoilers that I won't mention, so do yourself a favor and go see the movie
  57. May 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Found this to be a hollow, soulless venture. I didn't laugh at any point, nor smile, nor be anything more than 'slightly entertained'. The Mandarin's true identity half way through diffuses any tension or sense of threat, and the ending is ridiculous and utterly without any sense of danger.
    For a movie about Iron Man, he doesn't spend much time in the suit.. And the fact that Pepper Potts deals the killing blow to the villain was just.. stupid. Last I looked this wasn't called 'Pepper Potts: The Movie'.
  58. May 4, 2013
    Iron man 3 is a better than Iron man 1, which makes it definitely better than 2 Well wrapped up story, lots of good action, thrilling plot points, and weirdly funny! A great watch (if you are not a hardcore comic book fan, in which case brace yourself for some hartbreaking revelations)
  59. May 3, 2013
    As a movie, it's a fun romp with a solid cast, that doesn't necessarily feel like Iron Man, but the when certain parts come together, it works as Iron Man. With that in mind, if you're a fan of the comics and sticking to the lore, if you go into this movie expecting that, you'll be severely disappointed. The cast is excellent; Robert Downey never misses a beat, Guy Pearce is great to watch and goes through somewhat of a metamorphosis, and Ben Kingsley has some of the most interesting scenes in the movie. The comedy and banter between the characters is what makes this movie really fun. The action bits are sporadic, but the cliff side destruction of his home, an airplane scene, and the finale are all spectacles to watch. There are definitely some odd and unnecessary bits that awkwardly fly by, and this is by no means a retelling of the Extremis story line, but rather a take on it. Iron Man 3 doesn't work the best as a comic book moive, but greatly succeeds as a fun action movie, with clever dialogue, great chemistry among actors, and some unforgettable action sequences, it's a great way to spend about 2 and 1/2 hours/ Expand
  60. May 5, 2013
    Despite falling prey to a particularly flagrant character misfire, "Iron Man 3" still possesses a whole lot of laughs, action, and tension, earning itself a comfy place within a solid trilogy.
  61. May 5, 2013
    I loved it. Saw it opening night. Besides being a good Iron Man movie, it's also political/social commentary in a blockbusting suit neat stuff totally awesome sign of the times.
  62. May 4, 2013
    I feel like I need to give this movie two separate scores. One of r people that have no idea about the Iron Man comics and one for those that do. The movie is top notch as far as the action, humor, and acting goes. The plot I feel was the weakest part of the movie. Also I think the trailers for this movie are the most misleading that I have ever seen for a movie. They advertise Mandarin out to be the main bad guy, or at least a bad guy at all. It turns out the only reason that "The Mandarin" was in the movie was to be a joke. For those of you that don't know, The Mandarin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman. So why they chose to do this to Iron Man's archnemesis is beyond me. I think this is the weakest entry in the series, but regardless go see this movie! It may be the last time you get to see Robert Downey Jr. play as one of the greatest characters the cinema has ever seen! Expand
  63. May 4, 2013
    I am not gonna jump on here to disgrace this film in anyway what so ever. It was not a horrible movie, however it was not the best Iron Man, or comic based story for that matter. It began interestingly enough, then the story became weak throughout, and the character development was...lacking. I was really hoping they would build on Stark's problems a little more. I had also wished that they really played around with the relationship between Pepper and Stark more than they did. In the end it is a film worth seeing if you are a fan, but remember you aren't looking at a film masterpiece. In my personal opinion Iron Man, The Avengers, and X-Men: First Class were the best Marvel films as of recent. I felt Thor and Captain America were a little rushed. I didn't like the way they re-portrayed Spidey either. I hope they can come on top with another great marvel film soon enough. Expand
  64. May 3, 2013
    This is not a good movie: the plot, characters, action, pace, villains (laughable) and character arcs (don't make me cry) and wrong.
    Shane Black made some good movies in the past, but this mock of a super-hero movie is not even entertaining.
    The 3D in this movie is not done properly, I paid 9€ to see a 2D movie that try to tell me it's a 3D movie.
    Don't waste your time, Iron Man is one
    of the worst Marvel movies (if not the worst) until now. Expand
  65. May 3, 2013
    It was just WOW!!!!!! I wasn't expecting to have so much fun. Great action, amazing soundtrack, special effects, extraordinary performances and great plot.
    In my opinion Iron Man 3 is a must see movie and one of the best movies ever.
  66. May 4, 2013
    For general audiences: This movie is not worth the money unless you desperately need something to do over the weekend. The special effects are mediocre at best. Character development is weak. The jokes are incredibly lame, even for a superhero movie. If you can get past lack of plot and the visual mediocrity of this one, there are some suspenseful moments here and there. At 2 hours and 15 minutes though, I got bored halfway through.

For fans: The Mandarin Ruined.
  67. May 4, 2013
    Same old sh*t.I hate this movie,i went to sleep on the twentieth minute. I feel sorry for Robert and i wish, that he wouldn't be shooting in Iron Man anymore
  68. May 5, 2013
    This movie was awesome! It had a different feel from all of the other iron mans but was by far the best in terms of suits. There are alot of references to avengers and other movies so make sure that you watch them all before seeing Iron man 3. I would say go see it in a heart beat.
  69. May 9, 2013
    what struck me about iron man 3 was the way he had been working on like 50 different suits and overall the movie i really enjoy there is a weird twist in the movie but that did not bother me so much and the way shane black use the humour is great the only thing the would have made this movie great if the had shown more of don cheadle not as good as number 1 or avengers but still a great entry into the iron man series Expand
  70. May 9, 2013
    Look, I am a comic book fan from years ago. I know the story of the Extremis that was done and Marvel did make a motion comic of it. However, the plot is way off from the original Extremis material, the Mandarin is treated as a joke. Now, hats off to Ben Kingsley for the excellent acting, but come on...really, an out of work actor. That is the best you have Marvel??? Are you trying to ground your movies with some air of "realism" because let's face it....you really can't ground these stories. But...let me start by making a point I read...so Aldrich Killian was really the Mandarin. So the Ten Rings that was mentioned in both previous movies were all his doing??? The plot hole is big enough for the Hulk to walk through. Let me summarize the point....Tony Stark created Aldrich Killian Mandarin by dissing him at a party and in turn, Aldrich Killian Mandarin creates Iron Man in the first movie by capturing Stark. Really doesn't make sense to me either. So, that being said, let us look at the action. Some of the action sequences were fun and the humor was nice. But, the point to an Iron Man movie is for Iron Man to be fighting right??? Since when did Tony Stark get all bad ass and could fight that well without the suit. It was a nice attempt but really did not work on the level that it needed to. Now, the finale...Tony Stark had the shrapnel removed. I don't understand the logic of why if it could have been done then why hadn't it been done.

So to summarize this movie...which is only slightly better simply due to the action sequences than IM2, this movie is lacking. Plot holes, horrible character development, removing the traditional comic lore from the movie and a crapstastic ending.
  71. May 19, 2013
    Iron Man 3 I managed to watch the movie still on May 5, and was pleasantly surprised. To a premiere I had approximate ideas of images of villains, scenarios, and behavior of the main character. But viewing changed my opinions on these aspects finally. Having seen it, I was frankly struck with unpredictability and originality of the movie and the game of actors. As I liked dynamism of actions, there were no boring monologues and the memoirs of the past which have bothered with everything of reasonings on life and threats from enemies of the main character. Each shot of work opened to me something new. As an example new scenes of relationship between the main and minor characters. Remember, at least, Harley's fascinating company and "mechanic". Where you still similar saw? Interaction of two of these children was simple a masterpiece. Thaw I was as if Tony's reflection in the childhood, it appeared its copy. Same mentality, actions, sharpness of mind and other. Perhaps it I was one high points of the movie.

I can't but note Gwyneth Paltrow's smart game, her emotions, experience. As always I added jokes in the movie her irascibility. Guy Pearce's game, something like "silent insanity" was interesting. The situation with Tangerine and the Iron Patriot, in time of "a kishlak capture" was an occasion to laugh. All movie in a tone of the audience was supported cheerful and, all by Tony's fallen in love jokes and a mockery over Roudsom.

Pleased special effects and reasonableness of the scenario. It is necessary to tell that in the movie there were no excess moments. Movie foreshortening, good casting of actors, scenery

The movie, I will repeat, I became for me opening at industry cinema. He didn't repeat errors of 2 parts of the trilogy and surpassed achievements 1.It would be desirable that the history would proceed but even if it is the end, very good end of very good series of movies.

10 of 10
  72. May 25, 2013
    IRON MAN 3 Iron Man 3 stars Robert Downey Jr., Guy Pearce, Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley. Shane Black has taken over as the director instead of Jon Favreau in this installment of the series. This film starts out at a fairly slower pace than the previous two, but builds as it goes and keeps getting better. In this one, Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) is called upon by the public to deal with a sinister terrorist who calls himself Mandarin (Kingsley). At the same time, Stark struggles with extreme anxiety attacks as he tries to deal with the recent events of saving mankind from the other worldly villains in The Avengers.
    The acting was top notch. Robert Downey Jr. was great as always, and spends more time out of his Iron Man suit in this one than the previous two Iron Man films. Guy Pearce was a good addition to the series. He was a perfect villain and was fun to hate. Ben Kingsley, easily one of the greatest actors of our time, was amazing in this film. He will most definitely take you by surprise and his performance alone makes this movie worth seeing.

The action and special effects were great. The story, although slow at times, was interesting, had great comic relief and a big payoff at the end.

Go see this movie if you liked any of the other Marvel Comics movies such as Thor, The Avengers or the other two Iron Man movies. Whether or not you see it in 3D, you'll enjoy this one.

My grade for this film: A

Also, be sure to stay all the way through the credits.

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  73. Jun 4, 2013
    "Iron Man 3 is bold, daring, brilliant and easily the best adventure yet. Darker in tone and more prone to high-tech, this sequel is by far the most impressive Marvel film i have ever seen and possibly one of the best superhero films ever to be released." A-
  74. May 4, 2013
    Wish I hadn't seen it. If Iron Man 1 The Dark Knight, then Iron Man 3 Batman & Robin. That's how bad it is. Words can't even begin to describe what an epic fail Iron Man 3 is. The entire movie was complete nonsense. Completely unfaithful to the established Iron Man lore.
  75. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't think of a bigger Ironman fan than myself having loved to death the first 2 movies and the Avengers but this final piece was a major dissapointment! The Mandarin is fake, there is zero explanation on the extremis powers, the villian is totally weak, no explanation on how Tony controls his suit and every single person in the movie wears a suit including the president of the United States!!! Really? The movie seemed to be intent on showcasing Tony Stark's abilities outside the suit but if that's the case give us a Nolan perspective. Stark's influence and guide is a 5 year old kid all the while appearing to be on wired on speed? The suit should hold an extremely special privelige to the user and not be treated like someone's random sweater for all to share. I felt the Director completely abandoned all the special things that made this franchise so great and loved. Now I can see why Robert Downey Junior wants to give up the role as this movie barely drew a chuckle out of me. And for the record not once did anyone in the theatre cheer or clap for a scene or at the end of the movie!! Not once! The excitement level was non-existent! And the surprise scene at the end was totally lame too! New Director Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  76. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man 3 shows Tony Stark having a nervous breakdown after the event of the Avengers. Well, kudos for Marvel Studios as IM3 is the first Post Avengers film, and expectations are high. Nevertheless, as of writing, it is poised to surpass IM2's box office taking, making this the second highest grossing Marvel film after the Avengers. But while its success is pre-determined, what about the film itself? First the great stuffs: the actors. Downey Jr. is great as usual, as is Cheadle and Guy Pearce. Paltrow has a bigger and more proactive role this time. One of the sore point is the so called treatment of the Mandarin, one of Marvel's most iconic villain. Suffice to say it will leave fans fuming or disappointed. Ben Kingsley is still great as always, but I just wish that the character was portrayed as it was in the comic. Other than that, it is still an exciting film, on par or better than IM2, but not as good as the original. Expand
  77. May 26, 2013
    It' not a 10, but i give this vote because some gave 1 or 0. It's a good movie, RDJ is amazing. Probably nerd people will not like it because it's not so damn nerd like the comic version of Extremis Saga, but IMHO it's better. It's a movie, not a comic. People forgot that this film talks about Tony's trip, not about a beard man with 10 super ring and a sword (thanks Wikipedia).
  78. May 3, 2013
    Arriving before its North American landing, IRON MAN 3 pulls off a momentous debuting in its international market, I saw it in a plain 2D version and, about this franchise, IRON MAN (2008, 8/10) is a left field coup, a middle-aged superhero to clinch the youth-dominated market, only Robert Downey Jr. could nail it with dapper openness and wisecracking debonair. So within six years span, a fourth cranked-out (if one counts THE AVENGERS 2012, 5/10) comes on strong this year to ignite the summer powder keg. Personally I skipped IRON MAN 2 (2010) though I still possess the DVD, and the only reason why IRON MAN 3 interests me is the Chinese element, reportedly three Chinese actors are on the slate of the cast, Xueqi Wang, Bingbing Fan and Jing Wu, but it turned out to be an utter scam, only Xueqi Wang appeared in about 3 seconds in 2 fleeting scenes with one line “Nihao” (“hello” in Mandarin) and so is Ben Kingsley’s “The Mandarin”, the ostensible ringleader of the terrorists (more Al-Qaeda than mandarin).

So what this new episode has offered to its devoted fanboys apart from the cookie-cutter template of the mega-Superhero action flicker? Since there are no succour from his fellow The Shields’ teammates, Iron Man 3 perfunctorily opts to mass-produce the iron-clad robots to rescue the world (perish the undying human mutants), a lame and opportunist move to simplify the mess it creates and spurn any logistic plausibility (at least notify us how to kill mutants for good since they can regenerate themselves under any terms of damage), not to mention the cliffhanging twist of Pepper Potts, maybe it is all written in the next sequel.

Fans will never get enough of raking and levelling, it is undeniable that the demolition of Stark’s mansion is visually stunning and apocalyptic, and the esprit-de-corps of the plane-wrecking rescue is also worth the wait (thanks to the telltale trailer), but in the end, the inevitable face-off is a kill-joy, compared with THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012, 8/10), IRON MAN 3 looks as feckless as a light-hearted comedy, and its success can mainly be indebted towards Mr. Downey’s omnipotent appeal, a rakish fop who owns everything and is sternly faithful to his partner (although a certain degree of promiscuity is a requisite), and more alluring, he can create superheroes.

Paltrow has more action sequences demanding out of her gaunt physique, and also shoulders a turnabout climax in the end, but still a trophy secretary-lover. Guy Pearce is a common-or-garden villain here (not as remotely interesting as in LAWLESS 2011, 8/10 last year), Ben Kinsley on the other hand, is the comic relief (besides Tony Stark) here, eccentrically inconsequential but a timely buffer from the intensified situation. Don Cheadle is ham-fisted as the other iron fighter and Rebecca Hall does evince cursory nuances for her expendable character. Among others, James Badge Dale (from SHAME 2011, 9/10 and FLIGHT 2012, 7/10) finally found his stepping-stone into mainstream showbiz, his indestructible henchman even makes his boss pale in comparison.

A puff of fresher air comes from the interaction between Stark and a fatherless boy (Ty Simpkins) at a rustic Tennessee setting, with jocular ripostes and a paternal bond affectingly enriches Tony Stark’s personality and one plainly wishes this part would be more to offer. However, as the turnover rate has been accelerated dramatically these years in the superhero assembly-line, IRON MAN 3 is a serviceable vehicle to appease its core audience’s anticipation, and if put into a larger picture, it is not innovate enough to be a game-changer as its prototype, it is just another helluva sequel, trite but lucrative. But it will be a sad sack if Mr. Downey keeps churning out the persona into his fifties, it could be a grand farewell for the trilogy, and future cameos are warmly welcome.
  79. May 4, 2013
    It has the same appeal that all the Marvel films do- dry humor and plenty of awesome action sequences. But when it comes to the plot, the film is far from greatness. Its enjoyable all the same, but I think the critic and user scores agree that this movie could have been much better.
  80. May 4, 2013
    Sadly, almost unmemorable movie. Story is extremely predictable and the "twist" while funny, made the story even weaker.
    Humor is strong with this one, I laughed quite a lot. But when I left the cinema I came to conclusion that I couldn't really say what was the story about, and that while the second plot line was the best part of the movie, if removed the main plot would be unhindered.
    Actors were good (Mandarin awesome) but again suffered from awkward character development and nonsensical decision making.
    It is fine movie if you see it with no expectation. If your hopes are high, you will be either slightly disappointed, or without an opinion either way.

Please don't be angry but i would compare it to The Last Stand with larger budget. Weak story, good laughs, likable characters, awkward antagonist, funny sub- Antagonist.
  81. May 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I have to say as an avid comic reader that the movies will not (and alot of the time SHOULD not) completely follow the source. Some is too fantastical, and some just does not fit into the cinematic universe created so far. That being said, IM3 is an awesome film with some great action, humor, and story that does deviate from the source with no apologies. Now honestly, the first gripe I have heard needs to be addressed. I did not expect the way Mandarin to be played up front in the way he was. BUT he was handled well within the confines of the film. Black handled extremis pretty well, and he integrated a lot of Mandarin into Pearces character. The elitest comic readers will be mad, not to say they dont have reason behind it, its a jarring departure from the source, but again it works.
    The characters are rounded out really well. Rhodes is a more prominent character, Potts is great as always, and Hogan is comedic relief when he shows up. Downey does great, especially injecting some of the fallout from Avengers into his portrayal (and the movies writing as well).
    The action is great, really stepped up from 2. A lot more chaotic and stylized There are some really cool scenes and alot of new armor uses (and armor variances themselves)
    Overall a great movie, and a huge step up from 2. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it
  82. May 5, 2013
    Shane Black (with the help of Downey Jr. of course) has proved that there may be successful solo superhero movies after the Avengers (which I personally believe to be highly overrated). Iron Man 3 has thrilling action sequences, good acting, funny jokes and a sound plot. The only outstanding minus I can think of is one major plot twist, which I won't spoil. After this twist (and it occurs about halfway through the movie) I got a feeling of slight bitterness and disappointment. Oh, and 3D is largely useless here and is barely noticeable (but that may be because of the quality of the cinema I watched the movie in) So, in my opinion, IM3 is better than IM2, is probably on par with the first one and is definitely worth watching. Expand
  83. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a enjoyable movie to watch if you just go with it. It has a little extra humor than I am used to and a kid that pals around with Tony at one point, but its OK. The Mandarin bait and switch wasn't as bad as I thought when the twist was first revealed. Having the goofy "actor" Mandarin was a poke at the purists with Guy Pierce revealed as the "real" Mandarin. I think people are stuck on this point because Kingsly first appears to be the comic book version of the Mandarin and then isn't. Its a bit of a reboot making Guy Pierce the new version of the Mandarin. The movie is a solid 7 and I wouldn't mind watching it again. You can tell it had a troubled development period and was probably meant to be released around Christmas originally but the actors are good and they stumble through it in a decent manner. Expand
  84. May 4, 2013
    Generally Iron Man movies are not trying to aim for Academy Awards or anything so distinctive that makes a standing ovation. Iron Man 3 is no exception; the film does not pretentiously depict itself as that. Whilst it has toned down on the humour for more character development and darker tone overall, it is presented in a serviceable if not above average manner. Tony Stark's journey from Iron Man 1 is somewhat complete, and I do like how they try to depict a man with PTSD post-Avengers, and how he tries to plan ahead and cope with it. However halfway through, it seems that this arc somehow dropped off the radar, and reached a conclusion without ever seeing any sort of resolution. It is less Iron Man, more Stark (kinda like TDKR), but unlike Rises I do feel that there was a sort of smooth story-telling going on. However, it also feels like there was less exposition on how stuff works in-universe (it sounds anal until you walk out and ask yourself 'How did X did that?'), and it feels like the pacing was meant to distract us from that.

Plot in itself is somewhat complex, which isn't mind-boggling for an Iron Man movie. Nevertheless, there is some depth here and there, but the main villain's motives are somewhat intriguing, yet felt like it was used more properly in other stories or movies. The audience relies upon exposition from characters for the reveal of the villain's plot and motives, and whilst it does build-up quite nicely to a crescendo at the third act, you feel like this takes a back-seat as you get more amped up with action from Iron Man

Perhaps one of the most divisive plot twists in movie I've ever seen was the reveal of Mandarin. Now whilst I am no fan of the comics, I can tell that this is going to upset lots of fans. However, in the discourse of the movie I feel that this twist was suitable. It managed to salvage an overused trope of depicting terrorism in a stereotypical way and give it a bit of flavour, but not by a jaw-dropping degree.
    Humour in this movie is very hit and miss. RDJ is still a good Stark, but the dark tones mean that jokes are quite limited to almost cliched and old humour. You aren't going to get much laugh unless your humour limit is quite low.

OK, so for Paltrow, I feel like there wasn't much screen time for her, and the one's she has had such radical shifts in depiction that you feel like missing much of her side of the story. One minute she's a damsel in distress, the next she an ass-kicking hero. Its too radical, and underutilising her to the point you feel that she was but a Checkov's gun. In but one scene, I feel that there was some effort to put in depth to the character, but the main focus is clearly on Stark and she is but an accessory/plot device.

Overall, Iron Man 3 is above average for a superhero movie. Perhaps because it doesn't try to be pretentious to be something jaw-dropping that makes me more forgiving about it. Stark's journey is complete in terms of character development, and whilst his psyche post-Avengers wasn't properly told well IMO, it does come to an end that is somewhat satisfying. The plot is fine, but will piss lots of comic book fans as to how much liberty the director took with the original material (and probably why some reviews down here are quite anal on THAT aspect alone). Action was typical of a superhero movie, and is quite enjoyable while it lasted, but it does not leave quite a lasting impression.
  85. May 3, 2013
    Iron Man 3 contains one of the worst twists in comic book film history. It fails to live up to the promise of its trailers, but still has its occasional sweet spots.
  86. May 3, 2013
    This is a great movie as good as or better than the original. Great humor, huge action, twists and turns. Rated too low by critics here. RottenTomatoe's score is more accurate. Excellent entry in the Marvel Universe. And who can resist the sight of all the suits at the climax? Not me. Just the way a summer movie season should start.
  87. May 10, 2013
    Iron Man 3 was a great movie. It was full of action-packed scene that left you hanging on to the edge of your seats, dramatic scenes that may have fell a little short, but were still okay, and most of all, comedy. Iron Man 3 is by far the funniest movie of the series, with hilarious one-liners from many of the characters that left the whole theater cracking up. Robert Downey Jr did a fantastic job as Iron Man and explained why the man makes the suits very well. There are a few twists that no one will be expecting at all, and may not like at all. For average movie-goers and not hardcore fans, these plot twists may be funny and exciting to them, while for the hardcore fans, these twists will most probably ruin part of the film for them.

The movie does a fine job following The Avengers, although I don't understand why Tony is having these anxiety issues now, when he asked for schwarma right after he survived the alien attack in Manhattan. This film is nowhere close to as serious as it was shown in the trailers, which could be a plus or a minus. Either way, the movie does not fail to excite. However, people who are looking forward to a serious and dramatic movie should look elsewhere from Marvel. Marvel's movies are more about fun and excitement than it is about serious plots and drama-full moments.

All in all, Iron Man 3 is a great movie, but not a perfect one. It leaves you thinking for a while after watching the movie. The cast is great overall, especially RDJ and Ben Kingsley. Gwenyth Paltrow did a pretty good job as well. And even if you don't like the movie, hearing the song "Da Ba Dee" play full blast in IMAX is worth the money in itself.
  88. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For the casual viewer, it's a step up from the mess that was Avengers, and is probably deserving of the critic's rating. It's a good watch, but if you're a fanboy it could be viewed as the WORST Marvel adaptation yet.

I'm not even a Marvel/comic fan in general, but I do know my stuff, and what they did to Mandarin was a crime. Especially with the awesome set up in the trailers. It's a lame bait and switch that doesn't work as well as it should.
  89. May 6, 2013
    Whoever reviewed this movie high should in one simple expression never be allowed to review a movie again. I am sorry, but Iron Man 3 is in one word a "betrayal" of loyal comic book fans! period. How dare they completely ruin the mandarin.....sigh...So far, part 2 sucked, now part 3...when will it end? oh and the end credits? wtf was that
  90. May 3, 2013
    I liked it, didn't love it. Iron Man 3 takes a completely different approach than its predecessors did; in some ways it worked, but in some is did not. The best thing about the film, in my opinion, is that the character of Tony is completely stripped down and his relationship with Pepper gets some more depth; Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are better than ever in this installment. Such a human approach to the story does leave you wanting a little more at certain points. Apart from the the two main figures, the remaining characters (even the villains) are either underdeveloped or criminally underused. The final moments do deliver some excitement that the rest of the movie lacked. Overall, the result IS an entertaining superhero film even if it is slightly underwhelming. Expand
  91. May 3, 2013
    Newsflash: Not everyone is interested in seeing the exact same story from the comic books played out on the big screen. I found this movie to be highly entertaining, and certainly better than Iron Man 2. It's a good lead-in to the second phase of the Avengers series and Downy Jr. delivers a great performance once again. It's a great action movie and was highly enjoyable as a fan of the Avengers series to this point. Expand
  92. May 5, 2013
    If you're a major comic book fan, you are NOT going to like this movie. But, thankfully, i'm not, and I love Iron Man, so this movie was amazing to me, although the plot twist sort of changed a lot in my opinion, not only that, but after looking at the trailers you would think "Woah, this movie is going to be EPIC!" But, it isn't, it's action packed and comedy filled, but that's also a good thing. So, this movie is super awesome, but you might not like it so much, but take the risk, on the 50% chance you will enjoy the movie, it's worth a shot! Expand
  93. May 3, 2013
    One thing for sure about this movie is that the special effect is awesome as usual and Pepper is a badass. It's exactly what you would expect from Iron Man. Downside though, there's too many one liners by Tony, the story is completely predictable, Tony's anxiety attack makes him look stupid instead of sympathetic, and that twist in the middle, although it doesn't really bother me, it bothers a lot of people. Still can't judge the whole movie based on that one scene only. Overall, pretty enjoyable. Confuses the hell out of me though since there's definitely Avengers here but they're not in the movie or helping anyone even though in the movie the crisis is pretty serious, although there's Bruce Banner but that's at the end of the movie after the credits. Expand
  94. May 3, 2013
    I was really stoked about seeing this big start to a potentially successful summer of filled with exciting movies. I mean, just watching the trailers, it's definitely a new Iron Man we've never noticed before but want to see. Before going to see this, I read some of the user reviews. I was really surprised to hear some bad reviews from this movie. I honestly thought that those people who said the movie was bad we're just completely stupid. Yet after watching this, I realize now that they are only 75% crazy. As far as the 25%, it's filled with some unnecessary humor that lacks with the storyline. As far as the other 75%, it's filled with great action and a great storyline. Plus, we see a whole new side of Tony (Robert Downey Jr.). It is questionable whether or not you like this new turn that this character has taken. He's not his usual narcissistic self. Yet, it somewhat manages to work with the story. Not well, but it works. Also, there's a big questionable scene near the middle of the movie. I'm not going to give any spoilers, but it will effect your opinion on the rest of the movie. You'll either be o.k. with it, or you'll just want to hate the rest of the movie. Overall, it may not be what most people expected it to be, but it's still an enjoyable Iron Man movie. Expand
  95. May 3, 2013
    "Iron Man 3" is a good movie. In my opinion, this part of series is much better than the awful second part, but is worse than the first film. Special effects are great. I enjoyed watching film in 3D. The storyline is good. Actors play well, especially Robert Downey Jr(as always). The great final of an Iron Man trilogy.
  96. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm pretty easy to please, and tend to like movies most others don't like, and movies most people do like. This was not one of those movies. They completely ruined the Mandarin, and the fact that Ben Kingsley was a complete hoax aside what was originally portrayed in the trailers reinforces the total disapointment that is Iron Man 3. They shouldn't have cast Ben Kingsley and his version of the "fake" Mandarin all together, and just ran with the burning orange bio-energy wielding Guy Pearce as the Mandarin instead. It would have had a cooler, less misdirecting feel with a better movie adaptation of a super villain.

The other, just as much if not more of a let down what how WEAK Iron Man was portrayed as in this movie. I know it's a typical comic book adaptation movie, where the hero deals with a new situation, gets the crap beat out of him/her, comes back and wins/saves the day/world. The whole movie Iron Man and Stark were like a joke, going through suits like toilet paper and getting crushed like tin cans. This is the SAME HERO that took on an ALIEN ARMY and a NORSE GOD, yet some freak science experiments are able to crush his suit like it's nothing?? This was all very underwhelming for what, in my opinion, wasn't even close to what an Iron Man movie should be like.

I hope he is better portrayed in the Avengers too, and my apologies to those who actually liked the movie, as I'm just stating my personal opinion in this review.
  97. May 4, 2013
    is a spectacular film technically, and what is the best interpretation of Downey Jr, c does not have a giant hole in the script, it would be the best film of the series Iron Man
  98. May 4, 2013
    This was a great movie it was really good The was tons of action, it had some funny moments and Robert Downey Jr did a great job acting wise as well as Gwyneth Paltrow Don Cheadle, Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce.
  99. May 4, 2013
    Iron Man 3 is an amazing, funny, and action-packed film that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Now, I never read any of the comics, so I don't know if they portrayed any of the characters wrong, so please forgive me. Iron Man 3 amazes and keeps you laughing your entire showtime, although it is over 2 hours, it never leaves you bored. Every thing is great from start to finish. Now the reason I don't give Iron Man 3 a full 10 is because a few scenes kind of felt like they were put in there just for laughs, although they were great and I laughed till I cried, it sort of drifted just a little away from the story and left you wondering why they put that in there. Iron Man 3 is a terrific movie and I want you to go see it today, if you've already seen it, see it again. Expand
  100. May 3, 2013
    While this Iron Man movie was entertaining, if you are familiar with the source material it will most definitely leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. Starting with the positives, this particular iron man movie allows RDJ to carry the film rather than his world saving alter-ego. With tony stark being in my opinion an interesting character in the marvel universe, really made me fall in love with the RDJ's portrayal of Tony Stark all over again.

On the other hand, the Iron Man fanboy in me was screaming at the screen for majority of the film. The portrayal of the mandarin was a complete let down in contrast to the comics as the source material. With the watered down iteration of the Mandarin left me wanting more when the credits started rolling.

Overall, Iron Man 3 was a solid film to the end of a trilogy. After following the success of The Avengers, I can honestly say that my expectations were very high for this movie. Excellent SFX, solid plot, great performance by all actors involved, but the villains left more to be desired.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Iron Man 3 builds on the first film's political cynicism by suggesting that politicians and arms dealers dream up foreign policy crises to consolidate power and make money, but it doesn't develop this notion in detail, because if it did, the audience would tune out.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 3, 2013
    The action, directed by Shane Black, ranges from passable to interminable. The plot goes from clang to bang. Downey Jr. is still the best thing about this series.
    At least this time "Goopy" Paltrow gets to perform a few superheroics herself, along with enduring some heavy-duty torture that’s bound to please her haters — for whom the sight of the top of her face being peeled off in "Contagion" was like Christmas in July.