Paramount Pictures | Release Date: May 2, 2008
Universal acclaim based on 1737 Ratings
1,580
WATCH NOW
AotmJul 25, 2017
A fresh start for what later become an bloated cinematic universe, but doesn't take anything away from the movie instead it add something more to it that the later entry in the franchise is missing.
DK_AbleJul 9, 2017
This film helped bring life back to the struggling Super Hero genre after the conclusion of the Spider-Man and X-Men trilogies. It also gave birth to the Marvel Cinematic Universe which would transform the standard trilogy film dinamic intoThis film helped bring life back to the struggling Super Hero genre after the conclusion of the Spider-Man and X-Men trilogies. It also gave birth to the Marvel Cinematic Universe which would transform the standard trilogy film dinamic into an ongoing soap opera of never-ending stories (for better or worse). Never before had the mainstream world seen Iron Man, after this he became one of the world's most recognizable super heroes.
The film was fresh, innovative, and relevant. Downey and Paltrow both deliver memorable performances. The Tony Stark role alone, provides a wide-range of commentaries about our world that viewers of all backgrounds will find compelling, entertaining, and not the least bit preachy.
adw55125Jul 3, 2017
This is the best film in the MCU. I am just going to say that now. The sequels never live up to this, not even close. This movie is great. It is so much fun, the action is great, and Robert Downey Jr, shines in this film. Who knew a characterThis is the best film in the MCU. I am just going to say that now. The sequels never live up to this, not even close. This movie is great. It is so much fun, the action is great, and Robert Downey Jr, shines in this film. Who knew a character like Iron Man would be one of the best comic book characters in film. Expand
SonicHD7Jun 1, 2017
A billionaire industrialist and genius inventor, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), is conducting weapons tests overseas, but terrorists kidnap him to force him to build a devastating weapon. Instead, he builds an armored suit and upends hisA billionaire industrialist and genius inventor, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), is conducting weapons tests overseas, but terrorists kidnap him to force him to build a devastating weapon. Instead, he builds an armored suit and upends his captors. Returning to America, Stark refines the suit and uses it to combat crime and terrorism. Expand
LillieyMay 28, 2017
The movie that kicked off the MCU! Robert Downey Jr. is an inspired choice for Tony Stark/Iron Man and Jon Favreau's deft direction makes this an enjoyable origin journey with our sarcastic hero. A
FuturedirectorMar 19, 2016
Thanks to Jon Favreou's direction and Robert Downley Jr interpretation, this film is very intelligent,mlogical, action-packed and truly science-fiction, show an unforgettable character and another terrific film for marvel universe.
BitashApr 7, 2017
Just rewatched this almost ten yrs after it came out, it's still great. It's just well done, the acting, CG and directing is just great. Good story line, super entertaining . A must see
CharlesthrowerMar 10, 2017
It was okay, I didn't really vibe with the movie though. The graphics and the suit looked cool though. The movie could have been a lot better but then again maybe I'm just criticizing too hard.
ZerpnosMar 4, 2017
Marvel sinematik evrenini başlatan ve Iron Man'in karşımıza nasıl çıktığını anlatan bu film;
Güzel bir aksiyonu size yaşatıyor ve babasının izinden gitmeyip, ortağını kızdıran ve onu düşmanı yapan bir filmle karşılaşıyoruz.
ZebunkerFeb 6, 2017
Iron Man is an above average comic book movie. I don't know if that's saying much. I enjoy it for what it is. It’s a fun movie if you have a home theater system and sludge if you don't.

The plot is full of holes, and the action bits are

The plot is full of holes, and the action bits are bland compared to what has been seen of the character in past comics and cartoons. It’s hard to cheer much for Iron Man when everything comes so easy for him, he's just not a very likable or believable character. And that might be what's most wrong with Iron Man.

In looking back at this film one can't help but not the sequels that came after and all the casting drama that followed. This film feels childish, like it came out in the 90's. We have a setup of the origin of Iron Man, but what really needed was a setup story of Tony Stark first. We jump right in and he has no troubles really in the world. He has no real conflict or struggles. Even later his brilliant engineering skills just seem to come out of now where. It does not make him feel human.

The characters in this movie are very bland. Who do you connect with? The only ones that have a shred of connection are the terrorists and Shaun Toub as Yinsen. I think kids like Iron Man because of the tech he has. Or the attraction of dancing strippers of his own plane. But it’s so shallow, we don't care collectively about Tony Stark at all.
Then when you throw on the super suit, he's lost even more.

Like I said earlier it’s a fun, turn your brain off for 2 hours kind of movie. The main villain is so predictable and out of place. What a waste of Jeff Freakin Bridges! So much more could come out of it and the sequels improve on this but this first flight of Iron Man is just that a comic book movie for all the pains and praise that might bring. Crank up that sound system baby!

Best Actor : Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts

The obvious choice would be to pick Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. But really he's just playing himself. Or his onscreen persona much like Matthew Mcconaughey does in Mcconaughey things. Like bad car commercials.

Gwyneth Paltrow has some character to her, we learn things about her. She changes in the way she things about Tony Stark, well at least a little. The other characters in the movie don't change at all, they just do different things, that's not character development.

Paltrow has an innocent quality and seems to glow on the screen. She's fun to watch. I wish she had more to do in the film. It’s a shame she pretty much got axed out of the series.

Worst Actor: Terrence Howard as James "Rhodey" Rhodes

It’s no wonder why he was re-cast in the second film. Spewing out bad military one-liners and flag waving propaganda is really not that hard. Anybody on Fox News does it every day. So why is watching him in this film so ear bleeding bad? We care nothing about him at all to boot.

Best Scene: Big Robot Battle

The lead up is the big battle at the end. And while it’s fun, it’s not really epic and kind of predictable. The fact that Obadiah could build a more improved suit and bigger than Iron Man in a short amount of time.
What seemed like mere hours in movie time is ridiculous. While we get the idea that Stark's company is huge, like Wal-Mart in scale. He builds the robot at the main plant right? How could Tony not know about it or how could they figure out how to do that. Lame.

The most interesting character scenes are when Obadiah comes in and paralyses Tony with some weird Men in Black device. I think he steals something from him. I forgot. It’s not important. Well Obadiah clearly wanted Tony dead and just like 5 minutes later tries to kill him in the suit, so why not just kill him right there on the couch. Ugh. Worse plot hole than a James Bond Villain.

Again Potts sneaks into Stark to steal plans or research and confronts Obadiah. This is a fun scene, you don't know what's going to happen. But he lets her go. Again, idiot. No wonder you are second in command. Bridges' character really needed a makeover and bigger motivation than greed.

Worst Scene : Desert Base Building

The idea that Stark could build an iron man suit in a cave in the middle of the desert under the cameras and watch of terrorists is absolutely crazy. At least take your audience out of the movie at the one hour mark not 10 minutes in.

Even then we are not seeing Stark struggle with how to do this or planning it out. We are following the events through the terrorist eyes, not Stark. Well, the terrorist’s names are not on the movie title. Just dumb slog.

Hits
• Cool action bits
• Jeff Freakin Bridges!
• Iron Man on screen for the first time.

Misses
• Obligatory Iron Man Black Sabbath Song at the end.
• More plot holes than there are stars in our galaxy.
• Flat one sided characters we care nothing about.

Rating: D
kman5473Jan 30, 2017
Part of me wishes that the Marvel Cinematic Universe could have just ended with this one, or at least tried better to capture the lighting in a bottle that this one had. Tony Stark's biggest character arc BY FAR. We actually see him tested,Part of me wishes that the Marvel Cinematic Universe could have just ended with this one, or at least tried better to capture the lighting in a bottle that this one had. Tony Stark's biggest character arc BY FAR. We actually see him tested, vulnerable, and truly unsure of what the outcome will be. Expand
amai2739Jan 26, 2017
Jon Favreau’s Iron Man starring Robert Downey Jr. He was born to take on the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man, flawless performance, he is the best thing about the film. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark/Iron Man. From the beginning, it feels like aJon Favreau’s Iron Man starring Robert Downey Jr. He was born to take on the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man, flawless performance, he is the best thing about the film. Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark/Iron Man. From the beginning, it feels like a military thriller, semi-war theme of movie. Funny, entertaining, and good superhero picture, truly impressive. Expand
fadithebeastJan 19, 2017
Disappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess withDisappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess with not even half way through the movie. Expand
egkJan 14, 2017
Now this is how a summer movie should start out. This was the very fist movie that started it all and one of the most memorable. Robert Downy Jr. plays a great tony stark, heck he practically is tony stark.
MasterRileyDec 20, 2016
Iron Man started it all for the MCU, and what a movie it was. Its still one of my favourite MCU movies, as it has very good writing, action, casting and performances all around.
FreedomFightersNov 12, 2016
The film that started the cultural phenomenon that is the "Marvel Cinematic Universe," "Iron Man" still stands as one of the best films in the series. With wonderful direction from Jon Favreau, plenty of great action and visuals and anThe film that started the cultural phenomenon that is the "Marvel Cinematic Universe," "Iron Man" still stands as one of the best films in the series. With wonderful direction from Jon Favreau, plenty of great action and visuals and an electric performance from Robert Downey Jr., "Iron Man" works on all fronts. There's no two ways about it, this film is absolutely a must-watch. Expand
GMReviewsNov 5, 2016
Iron Man is a groundbreaking film for comic fans, being one of the best ever made. However, what also leads to the large succession in this film is the great appeal it not only has to comic book fans, but general movie watchers. Robert DowneyIron Man is a groundbreaking film for comic fans, being one of the best ever made. However, what also leads to the large succession in this film is the great appeal it not only has to comic book fans, but general movie watchers. Robert Downey JR immediately becomes one with the character, giving you the feeling no one could ever replace the character to match the constant enthusiasm and wit the character personally brings to the table. I literally think this is one of the main reasons this film was so critically acclaimed when released, the film is revolving all around this entertaining character, meaning a scene is never boring; it just goes to show how an extremely good performance along with a stellar script can evolve into something awesome. This film sets its tone in the first sequence, and maintains it throughout, keeping that level of humorous consistency, and not being drawn back by the fact these type of origin stories have to introduce their characters and show them in all their glory in their costume as the film ends.. That’s the general structure these origin stories go along, but this film took a leap and made it to the other end, because this film displays the character at the beginning as arrogant, not the hero type – but as the film progresses he begins to really morph into his Iron Man persona, and that gradual character development leads to a satisfying result. Overall, this film is amazing and completely knows what it wants to be, and the effect it wants on the people that watch it over the world – being not just comic fans, but general moviegoers and lovers of films. This film gets from me a 9/10 92% Expand
HatersWannaHateOct 3, 2016
A classic. Resurgence of Robert Downey Jr. People forget that his career was largely considered to be over before this movie came out. He was perfect in this role. If anything the final showdown at the end of the film is a little weak inA classic. Resurgence of Robert Downey Jr. People forget that his career was largely considered to be over before this movie came out. He was perfect in this role. If anything the final showdown at the end of the film is a little weak in comparison to the rest of the film but still a great movie. Expand
SCarlisleSep 18, 2016
SPECTACULAR! Iron Man makes Spider-Man (2002), another comic book film adaptation I just recently scored a 10 on, look like a 9! Iron Man is brilliant in all of it's fashions! Iron Man is the most honest and respectful film adaptation of anySPECTACULAR! Iron Man makes Spider-Man (2002), another comic book film adaptation I just recently scored a 10 on, look like a 9! Iron Man is brilliant in all of it's fashions! Iron Man is the most honest and respectful film adaptation of any comic book character that I have seen thus far on the big screen! I love this movie! I could not get enough of Robert Downey Jr.! No one else could have pulled off the role of Tony Stark as awesome as Downey did! A great entry point into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Iron Man film series! Expand
nsroehlAug 7, 2016
My favorite marvel movie so far. Great origin story, robert downey is amazing as stark, and everything that happens just makes sense. It would have been nice to have a more climatic end fight scene but it worked. I highly recommend thisMy favorite marvel movie so far. Great origin story, robert downey is amazing as stark, and everything that happens just makes sense. It would have been nice to have a more climatic end fight scene but it worked. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. Expand
superbatJul 2, 2016
Iron Man is the film that launched the Marvel universe to its level today. Downey Jr owns Iron Man, and shows us Stark's transformation from selfish businessman to superhero. Watch this before watching any Avengers movies.
Zanessa250QIJun 10, 2016
.........................................................................Robert Downey Jr, is Amazing in his Comeback full of Style, Iron Man is a potent Blockbuster, With Humor, Action and Coherence...
Aaron_WassermanJun 1, 2016
The start of the MCU and in my opinion the best of the MCU. Iron man is an awesome film it really is and Downey shines. Marvel did it well with this film, taking a relatively unknown character and turning him into a beloved one.
ATsushiMay 30, 2016
Heroic, full of fun and memorable moments, Iron Man is a film that fits well the character and is among the best that cinema has created the comic genre.
ElectroNickApr 28, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Iron Man was a bold risk to start off he Marvel Cinematic universe. those who are are well knowledge of he Marvel Universe know his importance but the average film goer wouldn't have heard of him if it wasn't for this movie. Thankfully the risk paid off not just for this movie but for the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. Robert Downey Jr. plays the charismatic Tony Stark as he starts off being an arms dealer but later learns the errors of his ways. He relies heavily on his metal chest piece to stay alive which makes this hero unique since his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. The technology gives him alot of power but it also his life support. Stark is a likable hero due to the fact that his vulnerability is a state that the average person can face. The biggest strength of the film let alone the whole Iron Man film franchise are the interactions between him and the rest of the cast. He has great chemistry with Gwenoth Paltrow which gives rise to wonderful romance. Jeff Bridges is actually a great villain as the fearsome Iron Monger when he creates his own suit of armor based on the Iron Man prototype. The fight with him is an an intense climax and it is a nice visual representation of him fighting against what he used to be. The biggest shocker of the film though was when Stark reveals his secret identity to the world. This allows unique possibilities for him to explore his relation with the rest of the world. This film is a great foundation for the Marvel Cinematic universe. Expand
sammydefruApr 24, 2016
From the opening credits of comic book pages flying past, you know that this will be a good movie. Whether you're a superhero fan or not, you can't help but think the guy coming out to legendary music, is someone worth watching. I find thatFrom the opening credits of comic book pages flying past, you know that this will be a good movie. Whether you're a superhero fan or not, you can't help but think the guy coming out to legendary music, is someone worth watching. I find that the most exciting scenes are when Tony invents new ways for him to get the suit on. Something that we always get to look forward too in movies after. This will be so fun to see in "Captain America: Civil War.

In this movie, you won't be able to predict what is to come, and it ends up surprising you. This movie will give you hope for future Marvel movies to come. This was the start of great things coming out of the Marvel comic era. Marvel Cinematic Universe took the right step in starting with Iron Man due to him being an all around big hit that has the right attitude and confidence to pave the way for the movies that came after. Iron Man was the ultimate fantasy fulfilled as we are taken inside his suit while watching him in action. If we take a look at the beginning when he was taken by his captors in Afghanistan is when we truly began to see Tony change. We are able to see this change by how he is willing to help the man who saved him, rather than fending for himself. He was given a second chance at life to be someone other than who he was becoming. He was having fun doing whatever he wanted with the unlimited amount of money to get what he wanted. He decided to become a hero, a change that mankind needed.

Downey's casting as Iron Man, made audiences skeptical: he wasn't in the best place of his career, and people didn't know what they were to expect; but that's also one reason you will enjoy this movie: no one expected such a great performance from Downey due to his questionable past. Downey puts on a stellar performance that causes you to want to see the second and third installments, along with all of the other crossover films in the Marvel franchises. Downey blew audiences away with his character, making them want a fourth film; one that has not yet been confirmed. There is no way that they could ever cast someone else as Iron Man, as they are one in the same. This film set the stage for all Marvel films that came after that were just as successful.
UrbanlistenerApr 21, 2016
One of the best superhero movie ever, this film revitalized RDJ's career for a reason, its amazing! You have the complete package here : great performances, great characters, great action, great effects, great humor and a great story. AOne of the best superhero movie ever, this film revitalized RDJ's career for a reason, its amazing! You have the complete package here : great performances, great characters, great action, great effects, great humor and a great story. A coherent, never boring pure fun movie. Expand
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
The action and humour is amazingly strong and unnecessary to prove the movie that its worth more than the others; in the end, "Iron Man" is just a decent summer blockbuster.
AaronWasserman1Apr 11, 2016
One of the greatest Marvel films to date. Downey is absolutely awesome in the role, and carries this and the sequels, despite the poor sequels to follow up this awesome movie.
sicranoApr 8, 2016
............................................................................................................................................Incredible