7.7

1. Jan 1, 2014
    Possibly my favorite director of all time, Quentin Tarantino adapts Elmore Leonards novel Rum Punch for the big screen. I haven't read Rum Punch but according to people who have this is a bloody good adaptation. Full of contrasting characters who deliver sometimes chilling sometimes hilarious lines and always keep your eyes fixed to the screen, even in the scenes which regrettably are a bit slow moving. Much like Pulp Fiction the movie is mainly enjoyable because of the impeccably written dialogue and one liners, Samuel L Jackson returns as another foul mouthed black skinned murderer and yes he says a lot in this too. However he is not the title character Jackie Brown who is played ironically by Pam Grier, as a comeback role, most well known for the blaxploitation movies of the 60's and 70's such as Coffy and Black Mama. Robert De Niro is brilliant as the almost totally silent character Louis Gara the sort of sidekick to Samuel L Jackson, in one of his few self parody roles of the 90's. While there are many others which I could mention (who all help you to become immersed in the movie) these are the three main characters even if they do not get along well. To be honest the only real flaw with Jackie Brown, apart from a few slightly boring scenes isn't even good or bad. In my personal, and possibly wrong, opinion it's a bit to much like Pulp Fiction. From the characters to the retro soundtrack and segments everything is a bit more of the same. Yes it is still interesting because no one can deny how incredibly entertaining Pulp Fiction is, but Tarantino doesn't venture into any new genres or territory. A few years after the release of Jackie Brown he did, but it was a little to late. Definitely doesn't ruin the whole movie though that is certain. I found Jackie Brown to be nowhere near as good as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. But ideal entertainment for a movie addict like myself and many others on this website, how easily Tarantino makes you feel emotion for the people involved in the plot is amazing. I was even feeling sad at the failure of Samuel L Jackson's plan despite him being a murdering pot head gun selling bastard. Whether or not it's a masterpiece like many critics claim, isn't for me to decide I actually think it's not far off. A brilliant homage to the blaxploitation genre, but also a brilliant crime thriller full of awesome lines and killer characters. Jackie Brown gets 4 stars from me. Expand
  2. Dec 27, 2013
    Tarantino's least violent movie, Jackie Brown has a more complex plot and more character interaction, compared with Pulp Fiction's shoot em up, blood splatter tendencies. Jackie Brown is good, and it keeps you interested, but it could be a little shorter and some of the dialogue could be cleaned up a bit.
  3. Nov 23, 2013
    Although well directed Jackie Brown fails to be anything new. It starts slow and it never really speeds up like a typical Tarantino film does. It has no major flaws per say it just isn't anything special. It is entertaining and there was no problem with the acting but as a film it just didn't live up to it's potential.
  4. Aug 12, 2013
    Jackie Brown is a well acted, well directed, and interesting film. Like all Tarantino films, it has many of his trademarks that make it clear who the director is. It is a little long, but regardless, it is a worthy follow up to Pulp Fiction.
  5. May 27, 2013
    Posted on 5/26/13 08:04 PM
    QTs third film delivers none of the thrills you would expect to get from his work however this film does deliver enough twist and turns that make this film enjoyable and not a such a waste of time
  6. Apr 29, 2013
    This quirky film had a solid cast with some great acting, but that was the best thing going for it as storyline wise I was a little lost and even bored at times. I quite like Tarantino's films but this isn't one of them, and even though I can appreciate where he was going with this one and I'm sure others liked it, I simply didn't as it's just not my type of movie I can sit back and enjoy. Props to Pam Grier who played a great female lead though. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    A well-written, fun film to watch. Even though though it doesn't provide the strong gleeful violence Tarantino provides, fans should be pleased with the spectaculary performances and the overall outline of this film.
  8. Jan 13, 2013
    Jackie Brown is a solid effort from Tarantino. The dialogue has the usual flair and is occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. The plot is fairly interesting and the performances are good. That said, there's something missing in Jackie Brown that restrains it from achieving the same excellence as Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly but I do know that it isn't quite in the same league. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2013
    The start of this movie was excellent, a classic Tarentino brutal fun ride but the drawn out build up and uninteresting characters bring it down to a mid level movie.
  10. Dec 27, 2012
    Easily Quentin Tarantino's most underrated film, it had hilarious scenes mixed with great dialogue and soundtrack. The acting from everyone was superb especially the more quirky ones.
  11. Jul 4, 2012
    I always check out Tarentino films and this one is in my collection of movies. I can watch it again and again. A true tribute to 70's blackploitation films. Plot is pretty basic but the all star cast brings out the dialog and intent of the film (Deniro kills it). Classic lines litter this flick but it is not Reseviour Dogs or Pulp Fiction, but among his best.
  12. May 8, 2012
    Jackie Brown is a fairly good and watchable movie - it's got that Tarantino staple mark of building characters so you really get to know them, and doing this helps blur the simple line usually found between 'goodie vs baddie' for you to appreciate the film from a few different angles. It breaks tradition with the typical young, virile lead roles replaced by elder, more realistic characters and deserves recognition for doing so as it gives the film a more authentic flavour. It also delivers a nicely sequenced last 1/4, which flows well and finishes the film off satisfyingly. The trouble is, there's too many boring bits in it and it's slowly paced - the middle 3rd seems to drag especially. It's not a boring film overall, but it does have boring bits and it's a tough ask to watch it all the way through in one sitting without a beer break. Nothing mind-blowing, decent enough and with a great soundtrack, but nothing particularly memorable either. Expand
  13. May 26, 2011
    I agree that this is a vastly underrated movie and as Roger Ebert asserts, anyone who complains that it is too long has developed cinematic ADD. Beautifully written and developed characters, suspense, believable but amazing turns and twists throughout. It is just more subtle than Reservoir Dogs and less manic than Pulp Fiction. Pam Grier is a real woman, and this is a great movie.
  14. Mar 6, 2011
    A more mellower Tarantino film, Jackie Brown is a faithful tribute to 70's Blaxploitation films with Pam Grier starring, still looking amazing after years. While lacking in violence, Jackie Brown's strong point is its slow but carefully written plot but only appeals to the most dedicated and the most attentive. Acting is brilliant as in all of Tarantino's films accompanied by stylish directing and smart writing. Expand
  15. Aug 26, 2010
    "Jackie Brown" is a fresh departure from Tarantino's other films (which is probably why it's the least appreciated), as it plays out mostly as a straightforward crime drama. However, all of the director's trademarks are still there - much of the movie is spent focusing on minutiae and non-progressive dialogue, though the film as a sum of parts isn't quite as fulfilling as his other features.

1. But for all its enthusiasm, this film isn't sharp enough to afford all the time it wastes on small talk, long drives, trips to the mall and favorite songs played on car radios.
    Tarantino keeps things moving along nicely, with a heavier dose of humor and less violence than in Pulp Fiction, but, on the whole, this movie seems more like the work of one of his wannabes than something from the director himself.
    It's a straight-ahead caper flick, very cool, and very, very Seventies (although it takes place in 1995), from production and costume design on down to the soundtrack.