Jersey Girl

7.1

1. FattyB.
    Sep 12, 2004
    I'm a Kevin Smith fan and I think Affleck is a mediocre actor, at best, and I wasn't to keen on the whole idea to begin with. So with that said... I enjoyed the movie and I applaud Mr. Smith for trying something different. The acting was about what I'd expect. Liv being the best of the bunch, given the right role she's very good. Listen, the guy doesn't have to I'm a Kevin Smith fan and I think Affleck is a mediocre actor, at best, and I wasn't to keen on the whole idea to begin with. So with that said... I enjoyed the movie and I applaud Mr. Smith for trying something different. The acting was about what I'd expect. Liv being the best of the bunch, given the right role she's very good. Listen, the guy doesn't have to "do cool" his whole life. I mean who wants him to make Clerks like movies until he keels over. I don't, no more than I'd want Tarrantino to make Reservoir Dogs again and again or Scorcese to make Mean Streets ad infinium. It's a tear jerker and I liked it. It wasn't great, but so what. It's a solid, fun movie that I'd reccomend. I say well done Kevin. Expand
  2. PetroM
    Dec 25, 2005
    I really dont understand why critics where so harsh about this movie. It s a sweet, relaxing and family type of a movie, that never even pretended to be a runner for an Oscar. Fairly enjoyed it. cheers.
  3. Kevin
    Sep 19, 2008
    While "Jersey Girl" certainly doesn't break any new ground, it is heartfelt and overwhelmingly cute. In the lighter, humorous moments, the film succeeds wonderfully, but everything falls apart in the sappy scenes.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Smith is looking more and more like a developing major talent, so it could be years until we get a handle on this movie's legacy. The film is not only defensible as a cute one-shot, but also as a positive sign for the future.
  2. If Affleck stumbles, Smith's script does nothing to catch his fall. Surprisingly, Smith's truest talent – that of writing – is Jersey Girl's weakest link.
    It's an unabashedly square picture, and proud of it. It is also a warm, funny, earnest movie, a stand-up exercise in a kind of Hollywood melodrama -- the feel-good weepie -- that has long been out of fashion.