7.0

1. Aug 3, 2014
    Stephen Chow has done it again. An epic fantasy martial arts movie with a few laughs and twists, but most of all, excellent special effects and memorable characters. Its not as immersing as Kung Fu Hustle, but continues to keep your jaw on the floor. If you are a kung fu fan this should be part of your library. The only reason why I gave this a nine is because I wanted the show to go onStephen Chow has done it again. An epic fantasy martial arts movie with a few laughs and twists, but most of all, excellent special effects and memorable characters. Its not as immersing as Kung Fu Hustle, but continues to keep your jaw on the floor. If you are a kung fu fan this should be part of your library. The only reason why I gave this a nine is because I wanted the show to go on and on and on! Excellent job! Expand
  2. Sep 15, 2014
    Not terrible but the trailer made it look like it was going to be a fun and funny action movie. There are a few laughs for sure but utterly lacking a story.

Also, from the CG I thought this movie was made in the early 2000's or maybe late 90's but 2013? yikes those are some crappy effects.

1. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Mar 10, 2014
    Chow is at his best when juggling disparate elements – tragedy, slapstick, romance, melancholy, fantasy. Everything is big with him; he seems incapable of underplaying anything. The crazier his movies, the better. And Journey to the West might be the craziest thing he’s done yet. You may wonder, afterwards, if you dreamt it all.
  2. Reviewed by: Christy Lemire
    Mar 7, 2014
    By turns daffy and dazzling, awkward and artful, Journey to the West takes an ancient tale and gives it contemporary flair.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Kuipers
    Mar 6, 2014
    [A] mostly entertaining action-fantasy-comedy.