6.5

1. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie was okay enough but it kind of slow moving and some of the plot elements seemed to be disjointed. I thought the language was kind of crude and the sexual innuendos were out of place given the overall subject matter.
  2. Jan 15, 2012
    I felt this was geared toward religious groups but then had obvious conflicts of profanity and sexual inferences so it therefore hit no particular audience. It was REALLY loud in my theatre and this also took away from the enjoyment. On another note, I just could not get past the vast amount of cosmetic changes in Dolly Parton's face and her inability to show basic emotions, especiallyI felt this was geared toward religious groups but then had obvious conflicts of profanity and sexual inferences so it therefore hit no particular audience. It was REALLY loud in my theatre and this also took away from the enjoyment. On another note, I just could not get past the vast amount of cosmetic changes in Dolly Parton's face and her inability to show basic emotions, especially during close up shots. She has had one too many botox injections and lip stuffings. It really took away from her performance and could have added so much to the sensitive plots if she could have really acted. On another note, some of the music was nice but seemed a mix-mash of different genres. Dolly had to get a few of her songs in the movie so this did not necessarily mesh with the gospel theme.

If you are into religious themes and can handle the "noise" and a little profanity and sexual inferences, it might be for you.
  3. Jan 24, 2012
    I would have enjoyed this movie more if they had better writers and got rid of Parton who didn't really do much anyways. My biggest problem is that they tried preachIng about goD every other scene which gets very annoying I would understand once or twice. The music was ok.
  4. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible plot. Bad romance. I couldn't take it looking at Dolley Partons fake face.
    And her freakin southern accent. Keke Palmer apparently is a strong christian in the film but makes out with a guy in every scene. Stupid, Dumb, and an idiotic film

A Joyful Noise overcomes. The big numbers are a gospel-pop-funk fusion that made me think, Hmmm, this seems very processed - before I noticed my feet were tapping of their own accord. How can you resist that wah-wah funk guitar?
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Jan 16, 2012
    The critic in me can authoritatively declare that the film is crap. The fan in me sent his shirt to the dry cleaners for tear removal.
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin C. Johnson
    Jan 14, 2012
    Nothing more than uninspired mushiness.