8.4

1. JimF
    May 13, 2009
    For about its first hour, "Julia" is one of the craziest good films I've ever seen, and when the lunatic kidnapping plot is put in motion, I thought perhaps I should be calling 911 to have the director arrested for creating the illusion of child endangerment. But the extremely talented, original, and authentic director Eric Zonca, with the great help of a career performance by Tilda For about its first hour, "Julia" is one of the craziest good films I've ever seen, and when the lunatic kidnapping plot is put in motion, I thought perhaps I should be calling 911 to have the director arrested for creating the illusion of child endangerment. But the extremely talented, original, and authentic director Eric Zonca, with the great help of a career performance by Tilda Swinton, has something much better and more interesting in mind, a redemptive drama morphed from the shell of a gutsy portrait of addiction that is in every way the movie "Rachel Getting Married" wanted to be but couldn't. "Julia" never for one moment of its almost 2 1/2 hour length plays things safe, but it's a deeply human and satisfying movie all the same. Expand
  2. BrentA
    Jul 22, 2009
    There are not enough words to describe the veracity of of Tilda Swinton's performance. She is unmatched in her brilliance. This movie is undoubtedly the best movie of the year, and Tilda Swinton needs an oscar for this role.
  3. stepheng
    Sep 15, 2009
    I was memorized by Swinton's devasting performance from start to finish. Tilda does deserve an Oscar for this!

1. Reviewed by: Gregory Valens
    As Julia, Swinton belongs to that league of great cinematic alcoholics such as Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick in "Days of Wine and Roses" and Ray Milland in "The Lost Weekend." As an action character, she naturally evokes Gena Rowlands without ever trying to resemble her.
  2. Reviewed by: Eddie Cockrell
    The miscalculated and overlong Julia proves a startling misfire for "The Dreamlife of Angels" writer-helmer Erick Zonca and dependably fearless actress Tilda Swinton.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Tilda Swinton doesn't merely act the title role in French director Erick Zonca's Julia--she devours it, spits it back up, dances giddily upon it, twirls it in the air.