Lionsgate | Release Date: April 16, 2010
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 1096 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJul 8, 2016
I typically detest films like Kick-Ass. Yet, here I am. I actually quite enjoyed Kick-Ass. It is funny, thrilling, and thoroughly entertaining. It is truly infectiously fun. Chloe Grace Moretz certainly steals the show as the 11-year oldI typically detest films like Kick-Ass. Yet, here I am. I actually quite enjoyed Kick-Ass. It is funny, thrilling, and thoroughly entertaining. It is truly infectiously fun. Chloe Grace Moretz certainly steals the show as the 11-year old assassin Hit Girl who kicks major ass. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is also solid in the lead role and does a fine job, though Moretz certainly hints at her future potential as a great actress in this role. Fun, well paced, and actually quite well written, Kick-Ass may be a little skin deep and may indulge in gratuitous violence and silly, over-the-top moments a little too often, but it is hard to resist its charms. Plus, who does not appreciate a film with Nicolas Cage that can actually be labelled as "good"? Overall, Kick-Ass is just as silly and dumb as you may think, but it works thanks to stylish direction from Matthew Vaughn and a unique approach to the superhero genre. Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
We have entered the world of post-modern superheroes, where the concept of someone with special powers doing battle against the forces of evil seems quaint, almost boring. Batman is The Dark Knight. Superman is on hiatus because the mostWe have entered the world of post-modern superheroes, where the concept of someone with special powers doing battle against the forces of evil seems quaint, almost boring. Batman is The Dark Knight. Superman is on hiatus because the most interesting thing about him is the John Williams theme. And Spider-Man is in the process of being rebooted because no one could figure out where to take the character. Yet, despite the trials and tribulations of some of the best-known comic book heroes, the genre is insanely popular, and that popularity gives rise to projects like Kick-Ass, which mock and embrace the conventions with equal zeal. Kick-Ass is part hard-core action flick, part parody, and part comedy. Done poorly, this sort of thing can be painful. Done well, as is the case here, it's a blast. It offers a "have your cake and eat it, too" experience - you can enjoy the exploits of a superhero while at the same time showing your hipness by laughing at some of the sillier clichés. There are so many self-referential layers in this material that it's almost dizzying to contemplate them all.

Kick-Ass transpires in neither the Marvel Universe nor the D.C. Universe, but in a world very much like our own where superheroes are found only in comic books. The film's protagonist, Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson), is a self-admitted "ordinary guy" - not a geek, a gamer, a stoner, or Mr. Popularity. He's gangly and a little awkward but lacks the hard-core nerd DNA that afflicts many teen male protagonists. His only superpower is "an ability to be invisible to girls." He travels in a small pack that includes two comic-loving buddies: Marty (Clark Duke) and Todd (Evan Peters). Like many high school males, he has a crush on an unattainable girl - the pretty and popular Katie (Lyndsy Fonseca), but Dave is realistic enough to recognize that she's out of his league and when she smiles in his direction, it's probably because one of her friends is standing behind him.

The commercials for Kick-Ass make it seem almost family-friendly, which it most certainly is not. This film isn't just violent, it revels in bloody mayhem. There are no taboos. Hit-Girl, who's about 11 years old, is shown casually blowing away bad guys and, later, she becomes the victim of a vicious beating. So much for not putting little girls in danger or showing them doing unseemly things. Of course, in Hit-Girl's case, this is an opportunity for some father/daughter bonding. (Or should that be bondage?) On one occasion, when she tricks Big Daddy into thinking she wants a cuddly puppy for her birthday, he is crestfallen. She then reveals that what she really wants is a cool knife; he is suitably relieved.

As a superhero, Kick-Ass is an unmitigated failure, and that's what gives the film its edge. His popularity is not the result of things he does but of an image that replicates itself millions of times on computers and television sets. He's the ultimate paper tiger. Dave enjoys the notoriety but also feels pangs of jealousy with all the attention his alter-ego gets. Because he can't take ownership, he wallows in anonymity, which isn't necessarily where he wants to be. And, although his motivations for becoming a superhero are genuine, it doesn't hurt that it provides him with a chance to get close to Katie - even if she lets her guard down around him because she thinks he's gay.

Kick-Ass is sometimes very funny, but not in the cutesy way it is portrayed in the trailers and TV commercials. Those have sanitized this movie to a PG or PG-13 level when it's really a hard R. The superhero genre has given birth to a fair number of wannabe satires; with the exception of the animated The Incredibles, none has ascended as high as Kick-Ass, which bypasses most of the pitfalls that have tripped up many others. (My Super Ex-Girlfriend and Hancock come to mind, neither of which was awful, but both of which could have been better.)

The biggest name in a cast of character actors and relative unknowns is Nicolas Cage, who mostly stays out of the spotlight in a supporting role. It's an interesting choice for Cage, who was once tabbed as the next (post-Christopher Reeve) Superman before that incarnation of the hero went into turnaround. Here, he's playing a Batman-type, but his penchant for bloodshed makes The Dark Knight look like a **** Cage is clearly having fun with the role, even going so far as to imitate Adam West's voice.

The best superhero movie since The Dark Knight (and far less serious in tone or approach), Kick-Ass earns its name in every way.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 9, 2016
The point in Kick-Ass is something that it's sequel didn't have.... it's something that actually works for me.... and the true entertaining part in it is the entire movie itself.
JohnMasterLAug 7, 2015
Kick-Ass es tan bizarra, violenta y divertida que es sin duda alguna una de las películas de super héroes mas divertidas que eh visto. La trama es sencilla pero funciona y las secuencias de acción son exageradas pero increíblementeKick-Ass es tan bizarra, violenta y divertida que es sin duda alguna una de las películas de super héroes mas divertidas que eh visto. La trama es sencilla pero funciona y las secuencias de acción son exageradas pero increíblemente divertidas. Todo el elenco hace un trabajo increíble y único (Chloe Grace Moretz es excelente) totalmente recomendable. Expand
NerdConsultantDec 19, 2014
I love this movie it feels like a love letter to Comic fans everywere. Aaron Taylor johnson is great as Kick-Ass, Nicholas Cage is in one of his best roles to date, Mark Strong and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are on top form as villains and whyI love this movie it feels like a love letter to Comic fans everywere. Aaron Taylor johnson is great as Kick-Ass, Nicholas Cage is in one of his best roles to date, Mark Strong and Christopher Mintz-Plasse are on top form as villains and why Chloë Grace Moretz wasn't up for best supporting actress for her iconic role as Hit Girl i'll never understand. couple with great action, plot and characters and you have an awesome movie Expand
sonic4presidentNov 11, 2014
Such a great super hero film brought to life with tons of action and amazing combat scenes. Each moment you watch will make you feel different emotions such as excitement, shock and sadness.
Meth-dudeOct 26, 2014
Sure the movie is cliché but, he's still enjoyable.Great performances by Chloe Grace Moretz and Nicolas Cage and great fight scenes are probably the best elements of the movie.
imgayilovedickOct 6, 2014
its gay because im gay and nic cage is bae. also i got stuck at the one part where i'm supposed to touch my gf but i cant get past it cause i love RAGING BONERS IN MY UTERUS. 0/10 FLOPPY COCKS

What the **** did you just ****ing say about

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little **** I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little **** If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, kiddo.
oxanaAug 24, 2014
This movie was not what I expected it to be. It was better, bloodier, a little less funny, and definitely more stylish than I could have hoped for.

This is not a comedy. This is not your traditional superhero movie. There are no superpowers, no spider-senses, no cryptonite or radiation poisoning.

There is just one guy who asks himself: Why hasn't anyone tried to be a superhero before?

Meet Kick-Ass. Or, Ass-Kick, as some people are so fond of calling him... He may be a total loser, but at least he's trying. Playing a gay BFF to a girl he likes because he is too afraid to tell her the truth, and trying to be the one to help people when no one else does, he'll soon notice that there is a reason why people don't simply put on a costume and run into the night to save the world from evil; the evil fights back, hard. Sometimes harder than you can take.

Then there's Big Daddy (Nicholas Cage, who really made an impression in this role as a slightly crazed "copy" of a Batman) and Hit Girl (so young, so talented, so **** up if you come to think of it). Those two are driven by a hate for a gangster Frank D'Amico. They are a step closer to a real superhero act, although they have chosen the bloody bath to get to their goal.

I liked the style of this movie, the casting was good, the acting was brilliant, and the camera work gave the film such a distinctive way to tell the story that... I don't really know how to describe it, other than 'damn good'.

There's a lot of blood. In a way it is tasteful and very real. People get beaten up. People die. The tricks are not inhuman. This movie is so sad and painfully real it hurts.

See it if you haven't already.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Directer Matthew Vaughn brings was the great super hero movie Kick-Ass a movie based in real life with real people no they don't have superpowers but that doesn't stop them. Now at the time i didn't really know anything about Vaughn he hadDirecter Matthew Vaughn brings was the great super hero movie Kick-Ass a movie based in real life with real people no they don't have superpowers but that doesn't stop them. Now at the time i didn't really know anything about Vaughn he had only done two movies (Stardust,Layer Cake) though i haven't seen those movies maybe i should take to time to watch them because both this and his X-Men: First Class film are great.

The film follows Aaron Johnson (Kick-Ass) a normal kid that wants to became a superhero and fight crime because haven't we all thought about doing that. Now when he first starts out he is bad he gets his ass kicked a couple times but soon he finds his grove and starts to kick some ass himself well with the help of metal all over the inside of his body yeah that's why he can take such a beating.

Now soon we go find out that their are other people out there that want to be super hero and they get together Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Red Mist a nerdy rich kid that has a bunch of money that helps him have cool stuff. Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy was great he did good and it was the most fun iv'e had watching him in a movie since Face/Off. Chloe Moretz plays Hit-Girl the daughter of Big Daddy and really she stole the movie as soon as you see her kick some ass. Seriously seeing her take out like 50 guys easily was just too epic. Now Mark Strong plays the villainous organized crime dick in the movie and he does a pretty good job nothing really special but we don't need that.

Overall i give it a 7.5 a great movie id recommend it to anyone it's the best mix of comedy and action just a blast to watch. Now i can't wait till Kick-Ass 2 the trailers on that of been amazing so i have high hopes for it.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
It's crude and violent, but it's great. How many comic book movies can you think of that offers you ridiculously hilarious content and a compelling story and action at the same time?
InverseCriticJan 18, 2014
Now, Kick-Ass IS a good movie. When Dave earns the ability to take a hit better, it's realistic and that's what makes it more likeable. But there's too much Hit Girl and not enough of the main character. If Chloe's character wasn't in this,Now, Kick-Ass IS a good movie. When Dave earns the ability to take a hit better, it's realistic and that's what makes it more likeable. But there's too much Hit Girl and not enough of the main character. If Chloe's character wasn't in this, it would've been kinda lame. But I actually liked a lot of the action scenes. The thing is, it slows down too much in the middle. If there were more action scenes, it would've turned out better. Still, watch this movie. You'll probably like it. Expand
elderpatJan 13, 2014
I'm from Brazil, and I loved the movie and the story was really cool, I believe the low scores in other reviews is because people can not differentiate reality from the movies, this is real life people understand unfortunately the Big DaddyI'm from Brazil, and I loved the movie and the story was really cool, I believe the low scores in other reviews is because people can not differentiate reality from the movies, this is real life people understand unfortunately the Big Daddy had to die if not the film also does not make sense they always win. Understand something good does not always win and this film shows the real life, I'm sorry if there was an error in grammar, because I'm not from your country. Expand
LelandskellDec 23, 2013
Kick-Ass is my favorite movie of all time, tied with Donnie Darko. Kick-Ass is truly amazing, and I love every second of it. The idea is unique, and is executed beautifully. The movie is hilarious, serious, sad, action-packed, brilliant andKick-Ass is my favorite movie of all time, tied with Donnie Darko. Kick-Ass is truly amazing, and I love every second of it. The idea is unique, and is executed beautifully. The movie is hilarious, serious, sad, action-packed, brilliant and mesmerizing. Kick-Ass truly kicked MY ass, and there's really nothing more to say. If you have not seen this movie, then you really f*cking need to. 10/10 Expand
mrniceDec 18, 2013
Within the genre, this is quite spectacular, lots of fun, and more emotionally engaging than any fun superhero movie has the right to be. If you're in doubts about what superhero movie to see next, take me recommendation. And no, it's NOT for kids.
FPSSucksDec 17, 2013
This film has fantastic fight scenes, great characters and cinematography. This film has quite a few funny scenes, but some jokes in this film aren't funny...but just plain cruel.
ElucidateDec 13, 2013
Kick-Ass is a delightful combination of action and comedy. It is funny, entertaining, and really doesn't hold back with the violence. The action scenes are relatively original too.
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
A twist on the old 'high school geek turned superhero', with Christopher Mintz-Plasse, killer fighting and a few laughs for good measure. Doesn't muck around with drama and makes for an entertaining watch.
marcmyworksDec 2, 2013
A strong and brazen hero flick that actually is more ground breaking than some superhero movies previously seen. Matthew Vaughn directs this film wonderfully.
benjithebestOct 14, 2013
Like all good action films kick-ass contains strong gory violence and outrageous comedy. Kick ass explodes to life with amazing special effects and hilarious scenes that will keep you entertained for the 117 mins of run time. Kick-ass kicksLike all good action films kick-ass contains strong gory violence and outrageous comedy. Kick ass explodes to life with amazing special effects and hilarious scenes that will keep you entertained for the 117 mins of run time. Kick-ass kicks spiderman and superman in the ass. literally. You will have never scene a superhero film like this. This movie is definitely worth watching, and if you like superheroes, action, strong violence and comedy moments that will surely make you laugh, It is about time you see a movie that kicks ass. Kick-ass is the film4u. Expand
ReviewGuyXOct 6, 2013
The character Kick-Ass didn't do remotely anything memorable and epic. They also really up the movie by shoving some irrelevant love relationship upon him. This movie is utterly horrible. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is boring to watch, Chloë GraceThe character Kick-Ass didn't do remotely anything memorable and epic. They also really up the movie by shoving some irrelevant love relationship upon him. This movie is utterly horrible. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is boring to watch, Chloë Grace Moretz can't act and Nicolas Cage is the rotten cherry that tops this movie. They wasted Mark Strong and the only commendable performance was Christopher Mintz-Plasse playing Red Mist. Other than that, this movie made me want to "Kick-My-Own-Ass". Expand
MovieGuysSep 21, 2013
Very satisfying pulpy superhero action flick, with a great cast and a great premise. It basically is satirical to the whole drama, and it works. Kick-Ass is also intelligent, knowing when to make the next joke, the next kill, etc. The way itVery satisfying pulpy superhero action flick, with a great cast and a great premise. It basically is satirical to the whole drama, and it works. Kick-Ass is also intelligent, knowing when to make the next joke, the next kill, etc. The way it moves from scene to scene is actually a lot better than one might expect from a movie of this nature. Expand
SwatiSep 10, 2013
If you had ever wondered why the superheroes never lost their patience against the bad guys and did not resort to killing them, watch this movie and maybe you'll be put off the idea forever. The only thing that sets this movie apart fromIf you had ever wondered why the superheroes never lost their patience against the bad guys and did not resort to killing them, watch this movie and maybe you'll be put off the idea forever. The only thing that sets this movie apart from other superhero movies is the shocking level of violence perpetrated by a kid. The title character is just there for laughs and to get his ass handed to him on more than one occasion. The movie shines because of Hit-Girl and her daddy Big Daddy, who violently kill criminals to keep them off the streets. But BD has a secret vendetta that he pursues ruthlessly. I liked the movie only because it showed a different version of the superhero concept, and that was refreshing. Just watch the movie by turning a blind eye to the blood and gore, if you can. The cutting of body parts and killings are presented in a humorous way yet very graphic, so be advised. Expand
George-rootsAug 28, 2013
Having myself, dad & sister read the book, It was one of those rare instances where we "all" couldn't wait to go see a comic book movie, For what probably is one of comics most strongest indie projects to come along in quite some time, andHaving myself, dad & sister read the book, It was one of those rare instances where we "all" couldn't wait to go see a comic book movie, For what probably is one of comics most strongest indie projects to come along in quite some time, and the fact the principle storyline only tends to sway apart in each different form of media, Kick-Ass magically works well on film, to an extent where this comic needed to be made into a film.

The choice of actor's were fantastic, Aaron Johnson has slowly built up a solid career and actually delivers my favourite interpretation of Dave Lizewski, where Nicholas Cage and Chloe Grace Moretz deliver a truly cartoonish, macabre performance of serious vigilante's "Big Daddy & Hit Girl". Christopher "McLovin" Plasse is awkwardly charming and funny and Mark Strong delivers a superb Crime Mogul.

Overall, it's a fantastic looking movie, it's vibrant, colourful and extremely well choreographed, Without doubt you can see why the controversy is there, and true if I thought this movie was incredible I would have a lot more to say, But ultimately it really is a pop corn flick, the film is very self-aware and thank god because if this kind of stuff takes itself to seriously I feel it would surely fail.

Final Verdict: Have an open mind and try to see the funny side, in a time where the internet exists and more and more we become desensitized to violence in pretty much every form of media. Kick-Ass has a welcome place among it bigger budget counterparts. 7.5
ReubenIsAGodAug 26, 2013
This is a great movie, its fun entertaining and has a whole Lota violent's, Honestly the best superhero movie ive seen in a long time, it was just a great film, not the best movie of all time but still one bad-ass movie i definitelyThis is a great movie, its fun entertaining and has a whole Lota violent's, Honestly the best superhero movie ive seen in a long time, it was just a great film, not the best movie of all time but still one bad-ass movie i definitely recommend siting down and watching it. Expand
Bruce722Aug 20, 2013
Kick-Ass is one of the best "superhero" movies ever. I put quotes around the word "superhero" because it is not your traditional superhero film. The entire concept behind it is very unique and refreshing, the characters are not archetypal atKick-Ass is one of the best "superhero" movies ever. I put quotes around the word "superhero" because it is not your traditional superhero film. The entire concept behind it is very unique and refreshing, the characters are not archetypal at all, the acting is good enough, and the style is very in-your-face. Granted, that in-your-face, overly graphic and profane style will certainly rub many people the wrong way. This is not a film for everyone. The only weak element of the film, and it's also part of its strength, is the ridiculousness of certain scenes and action sequences. I can't know it for that because the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously is also part of its appeal but there are times when aggravation occurs. Overall, this is a great movie that, while everyone won't enjoy, those that do will certainly love it. Expand
SuperheroMoviesAug 20, 2013
Its crass, parodying styled humor may appeal to some more than others, but its relentless action scenes, and its embracing of normality performing the extraordinary storyline is just clever enough to make this film work.
survivorfan989Aug 16, 2013
This is a highly entertaining film and right up my alley as I love a good superhero movie, but its almost a parody of them and more realistic also. Taylor-Johnson shines as Kick-Ass but it's Moretz who I feel steals the show as young HitThis is a highly entertaining film and right up my alley as I love a good superhero movie, but its almost a parody of them and more realistic also. Taylor-Johnson shines as Kick-Ass but it's Moretz who I feel steals the show as young Hit Girl. It's probably more violent than you would think but also has a nice little dash of Comedy also, blending a few genres together in a way that really works. Overall a very enjoyable film and I can not wait for the sequel! Collapse
30laAug 14, 2013
Loved it! Aaron is so gorgeous. Chloe is such a cool kick ass kid. Even though i slightly dislike Cage, he was OK in this. Even had my favorite Peters:) Funny, fight pitched.
python2000Aug 13, 2013
Kick Ass is genius! It has violence, humour, profanity, awesome music, exciting action and best of all everyone's favorite 11 year old Chloe Moretz. Who plays the vulgar and extremely deadly Hit Girl. This is definitely the best superheroKick Ass is genius! It has violence, humour, profanity, awesome music, exciting action and best of all everyone's favorite 11 year old Chloe Moretz. Who plays the vulgar and extremely deadly Hit Girl. This is definitely the best superhero movie I have ever seen and makes Iron Man look like Scooby Doo. You can count me in as a Kick Ass super nerd! I can't wait for the sequel (which comes out in 1 day). Expand
sjbn002Aug 3, 2013
Una pelicula con superheroes e intentos de superheroes muy divertida, la traduccion al español es fenomenal (Mexico), me parecio muy comica y original, me hizo llorar de la risa, la musica muy acorde a los momentos cumbre de la pelicula, queUna pelicula con superheroes e intentos de superheroes muy divertida, la traduccion al español es fenomenal (Mexico), me parecio muy comica y original, me hizo llorar de la risa, la musica muy acorde a los momentos cumbre de la pelicula, que mas se puede pedir el reparto de 10, saludos.... Expand
CheapSeatsJul 29, 2013
Succeeds at everything it attempts to do and gives their target audience exactly what they're looking for. Chloe Grace Moretz steals the show but the performances are all around good. A very fun film that will probably go down as a cult classic.
BrianMcCriticJul 14, 2013
A very vulgar and bloody film, but I really liked it. A very cool story in the era of the superhero movie in which it is pretty much a spoof. Overall this is a very fun film. A-
SimpleMethodJul 8, 2013
Hilarious and graphic, Kick-Ass is a solid tribute to a graphic novel/comic loved by many. Hope they don't screw up with the sequel coming later this summer.
KivaJun 10, 2013
Finally a funny full of action movie which will make you think about it all the time. Chloe is Fu**ng great. The best actress for that role and I'm really looking forward for the sequel. Hope it's great like this one. A great action film
ICEExMagicMay 7, 2013
This movie is a great way to know what it would be like if superheros were real.The story is great,the action's good and it is also fuuny.I can't wait for the sequel!
guitarmaniac005Mar 19, 2013
this movie was so breath taking... and I little bit cringe worthy when I first saw it but if you watch it for the second and third time it just gets better and better! Even better with friends! I thought the costumes were amazing, they reallythis movie was so breath taking... and I little bit cringe worthy when I first saw it but if you watch it for the second and third time it just gets better and better! Even better with friends! I thought the costumes were amazing, they really outlined the characters. The acting wasn't bad but I thought hit-girl absolutely stole the whole show, as of my final note I think this is one of Nicholas Cage's greatest roles despite all the he has come out with in the past. I cannot wait for Jim Carrey in the new movie, I hope it gets even better reviews than this one got. Expand
ThegodfathersonMar 18, 2013
Kick Ass is awesome. Period. No questions asked. This film brings life to people that love superheroes in a cool way, I mean look at the action scenes! They are damn good! Kick Ass is a really well done movie and I really can't wait for theKick Ass is awesome. Period. No questions asked. This film brings life to people that love superheroes in a cool way, I mean look at the action scenes! They are damn good! Kick Ass is a really well done movie and I really can't wait for the next part. Kick ass has those Hollywood elements that director Matthew Vaughn has put together, with cool weapons and jetpacks! The story or plot about Dave Liwinzki has been put together real good and the characters like Mindy and Big Daddy are the major elements for the movie to thrive. The film has emotions, action and lots of it, gore and man a lot of gore, and superheroes saving the city from ruthless drug crime lords. If you haven't seen or finished the movie, watch the climax. Expand
TokyochuchuMar 18, 2013
Kick-Ass is a very funny, very violent and very original super hero flick. The action sequences are exceptionally well directed; exciting, grotesque and laugh-out-loud funny all at the same time. This is a great film, stuffed full ofKick-Ass is a very funny, very violent and very original super hero flick. The action sequences are exceptionally well directed; exciting, grotesque and laugh-out-loud funny all at the same time. This is a great film, stuffed full of memorable moments and characters. Expand
DusksparkMar 16, 2013
Kick Ass is not a superhero, but just a normal college kid hoping to become a bad ass hero! He thinks he's a pretty big deal after his video went viral, but then he meets Hit Girl and Big Daddy, the real superheroes. The movie is very wellKick Ass is not a superhero, but just a normal college kid hoping to become a bad ass hero! He thinks he's a pretty big deal after his video went viral, but then he meets Hit Girl and Big Daddy, the real superheroes. The movie is very well filmed, with even yet colorful detail and an interesting story. Expand
StevenFMar 8, 2013
Word of advice, don't follow the trailer on this one, because Kick-Ass is further away than the dumbed down superhero comedy that the trailer indicated.
The film is narrated by Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) who often seriously thinks about being a superhero, not necessarily one with superhuman abilities or with mountains of cash, but one who is a genuine citizen in a cheap spandex suit trying to right the wrongs of the city, so he does exactly that.
The story the takes an interesting turn as there are already superheroes present in New York, in the form of Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and Hit-Girl (Chloë Moretz). They are quite the dynamic duo as they are already skilled in the art of fighting and, well, being heroic.
There is no hero without the villain of course, and Mark Strong puts in a strong performance as gang boss Frank D'Amico, who is attempting to dispose the heroes, with the accompaniment of his son, Chris (Christopher Mintz-Plasse).
This was quite a risky and fragile road to take in turning this comic book into a film, it makes no attempt in hiding its promotion of unadulterated violence and all out crude and profanity laced dialogue, yet it still turns out to be one of the best and very different comedies of its time.
Hit-Girl is obviously the talk of the film, controversy surrounds Moretz's roll as an 11 year old swearing, stabbing and killing machine, but films need to take risks like this in order to evolve and adapt to other genres, because there is no doubt that this film doesn't hold back in using shock and awe tactics to create a stellar film, one which, with the type of movie you see, the writers know will not please everyone.
Johnson is quite likeable in his role as Kick-Ass, he explains everything in a pop-cultured yet realistic manner that cannot be ignored, it all fits together with the comedic but grounded tone of the film.
There is of course plenty of action with some impressive sequences, one involving Hit-Girl taking down a small army of men along to 'Bad Reputation' by Joan Jett, quite brilliant. Nicolas Cage does an excellent turn as Big Daddy, playing a very different role to what we are used to, but its Moretz and Johnson who steal the show as the young heroes, forever unpredictable and of course full of teenage kicks.
Quite a different sort of superhero and comedy film, but naturally one which will not be funny to everyone.
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
It wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be a fun mix of comedy and action, but it wasn't. It started out pretty good, but then it just went way over the top, filled with clique violence and often used catch phrases. It was predictable,It wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be a fun mix of comedy and action, but it wasn't. It started out pretty good, but then it just went way over the top, filled with clique violence and often used catch phrases. It was predictable, all be it entertaining. If you were like me however, expecting anything more than just another shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, action film, you're gonna be disappointed. Expand
worleyjamersDec 8, 2012
So good! A great film. Unlike anything I've ever seen before. This comic book movie is wonderfully directed by Matthew Vaughn who can do no wrong. Chloe Moretz as Mindy/Hit Girl is unforgettable. Classic film!
Andys_ReviewsNov 22, 2012
I must first say that it is a really well made film with some excellent stunt work. I thought the music chosen for the score was really great as well. Excellent performances from all of the leading cast, Aaron Johnson as DaveI must first say that it is a really well made film with some excellent stunt work. I thought the music chosen for the score was really great as well. Excellent performances from all of the leading cast, Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass, Nicolas Cage as Damon Macready/Big Daddy is excellent, Chloe Moretz as Mindy Macready/Hit-Girl (also superb), Mark Strong as Frank D Expand
Freakazoid1Nov 14, 2012
It's crude and vulgar, the idea is unoriginal, but never, ever, has a superhero movie been as hilarious as this one. The jokes used in this movie are incredibly funny, and the title gives you a sense of how good this movie will be.
dev92Aug 24, 2012
Matthew Vaughn produces a great film here with a very young cast. Obviously Vaughn has been involved in many British films and I feel as if they (as well as his upbringing in the UK) have greatly influenced the way he portrays comedic momentsMatthew Vaughn produces a great film here with a very young cast. Obviously Vaughn has been involved in many British films and I feel as if they (as well as his upbringing in the UK) have greatly influenced the way he portrays comedic moments within an action film. All-in-all, this was a very enjoyable film which I would happily watch again and again. Expand
axelkochJul 29, 2012
Kick-Ass
Superficially viewed,
EssenceOfSugarJul 20, 2012
It's unfair to say that films that are this inappropriate are highlighted as 'not for children'. Well, duh, of course not, but just because this film is violent and full of profanity, does that make it any less better than other films thatIt's unfair to say that films that are this inappropriate are highlighted as 'not for children'. Well, duh, of course not, but just because this film is violent and full of profanity, does that make it any less better than other films that are considered more appropriate? This is pure entertainment and the jokes were never few and far between - it felt funny, fresh and original. Yeah, so, the beginning had little fire-power to it, but that didn't matter. The songs rocked and there were some extremely colourful characters - Strong certainly had a field day playing Frank D'Amico. On that note, it was brilliant to see some well-known and likeable actors playing them, although it's the first time that I've seen Cage excel at his acting! The costumes were certainly colourful too - especially Christopher, who could not look better in that epic Red Mist outfit! Action-packed, beautifully paced, side-splitting tear-inducing falling-off-sofa humoured solid gold entertainment, and, despite what the critics think (Average review score of 66? Please, show yourself to the door this instant), this film really knows how to Kick-Ass! Expand
HalfwelshmanMay 9, 2012
Kick-Ass is without question the best of the recent trend of postmodern superhero films. It's not mercilessly bleak like Watchmen, not depraved like Super and it's certainly not for kids like Sky High. A lot of the film's quality hinges on aKick-Ass is without question the best of the recent trend of postmodern superhero films. It's not mercilessly bleak like Watchmen, not depraved like Super and it's certainly not for kids like Sky High. A lot of the film's quality hinges on a truly great cast. Aaron Johnson makes a great loveable loser Dave Lizewski who decides to become the titular, wet-suited hero, Mark Strong adds another great despicable villain, the powerful gangster Frank D'Amico to his repertoire and Christopher Mintz-Plasse is great as always playing Frank's lonely son and (disturbingly willing) heir to the D'Amico criminal empire, who masquerades as a new hero Red Mist to contact Kick-Ass under the pretence of friendship. The real highlights of the film are the dream pairing of a moustachioed Nicholas Cage doing his best Adam West impression and a hilariously filthy-mouthed Chloe Grace Moretz playing the vengeful father/daughter hero team of Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Let's be honest, Mr Cage has had some stinkers in his career, but when he gets it right, he really gets it right - he has the opportunity to show his undeniable talent for both comedy and pathos here, and the character arc of Damon and Mindy Macready is certainly the most rewarding and entertaining of the whole film. There are a few instances where the story runs out of steam, and Matthew Vaughn's Brit-dominated cast of villains do occasionally slip out of their American tough-guy accents, but a wealth of affectionate digs at comic book lore, Jane Goldman's delightfully sweary script, some gloriously violent action and Matthew Vaughn's accomplished direction more than make up for it. Kick-Ass is an immensely enjoyable viewing experience, that will please comic fans, comedy fans and fans of terrifying murderous tweens alike. I just hope the inevitable sequel doesn't lose any of its charm, inventiveness and especially its sense of fun. Expand
Horsemad7009May 6, 2012
Kick-Ass is an amazing film, however, you can't get upset by people dying. If you do, you will be crying throughout the entire film. A little girl swearing can't offend you either.

An awesome film, would highly recommend
fabien7474Apr 15, 2012
What can I say about this movies that was not already said ?

It is simply awesome. I saw it 3 or 4 times and each time I discover new details that make me think that I will need to watch it again. What an entertainment !
paulgreenFeb 15, 2012
Kick-Ass is very funny and interesting movie ! I like it very much and I give to it 10 from 10 ! I am loking forward for second part!
Jedi_JettsonJan 21, 2012
Its not for all kids, but the plot of Kick-Ass teaches people not to hesitate and stand up to bullies and criminals, makes a difference in fighting crime, teamwork is well-structured into the story than other superhero films, and deliversIts not for all kids, but the plot of Kick-Ass teaches people not to hesitate and stand up to bullies and criminals, makes a difference in fighting crime, teamwork is well-structured into the story than other superhero films, and delivers non-stop comic action and laughs. Expand
heyitsmegrif4Dec 30, 2011
Kick- Ass offers an unforgettable performance from Chloe Moretz, gore, action and humor and the whole movie just bathes in profanity I give this movie 86%.
TarintinoCodFanDec 17, 2011
I'm just going to write a short review as I'm watching it at the moment for the third time today. This film is realistic as in it could happen. It is so funny. Everytime I watch it I laugh louder. The soundtrack is the best ever in the filmI'm just going to write a short review as I'm watching it at the moment for the third time today. This film is realistic as in it could happen. It is so funny. Everytime I watch it I laugh louder. The soundtrack is the best ever in the film and I listen to whilst playing MW3 multiplayer. Nicholas Cage and Chloe Moretz should have got an oscar for this spectacular performance. Expand
KICK-ASSfanboyDec 16, 2011
In my opinion this is the greatest movie ever made. The actors are so easy to fall in love with, and i think that is one of the most important aspects of this movie. The music in this is phenomenal and to me remains the greatest score ever. IIn my opinion this is the greatest movie ever made. The actors are so easy to fall in love with, and i think that is one of the most important aspects of this movie. The music in this is phenomenal and to me remains the greatest score ever. I would just like to thank Matthew Vaughn for the brilliant directing, Danny Elfmen, Henry Jackman, John Murphy, Marius De Vries and IIan Eshkeri for the mindblowingly amazing music they created. And last but certainly not least i would like to thank Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Mark Strong, Nicolas Cage and Chloe Moretz, you did what knowone predicted and that's act like nothing before. Thankyou for making this dream a reality Expand
Justinavery7074Oct 11, 2011
Holy **** **** does this movie rule. The first time, it felt a little of the edge and all over the place. But as I rewatched it, I absolutely acknowledged its awesomeness. I knew what I was getting myself into, but holy **** It's better thanHoly **** **** does this movie rule. The first time, it felt a little of the edge and all over the place. But as I rewatched it, I absolutely acknowledged its awesomeness. I knew what I was getting myself into, but holy **** It's better than any action movie from last year. Or any comedy. It's breath-taking. captivating, stunning, hilarious, beautifully perverse and all around fantastic. What Matthew Vaughn did to the superhero genre was take it, **** it and out plopped the greatest action movie of 2010. The acting is supreme - I'll never find a hitgirl beter than Chloe Grace Moretz -, the editing, jaw droppingly terrific, the directing and writing, pants-****tingly great. It's ****ing perfect. I can't really find any faults or problems with it. IT IS ****ING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you Matthew Vaughn. In a non gay/platonic way. Expand
VladasinOct 8, 2011
Generally terrible movie. Amalgam of weird geek sense of humor, action and... This movie left me untouched and it wasted my two hour of my precious life!
Though my negative opinions there were few good actors and they knew what to do.
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
Now, what "Kick Ass" presents to us is the new era of superheroes; it screws the old, classical heroes like "Batman", "Spiderman", and "Superman", and delivers addictive violence and superheroes that actually have a normal story with a normalNow, what "Kick Ass" presents to us is the new era of superheroes; it screws the old, classical heroes like "Batman", "Spiderman", and "Superman", and delivers addictive violence and superheroes that actually have a normal story with a normal goal. The movie is stunning and powerful. However, it is Chloe Moretz, the girl who was Hit Girl, that bloodied up the screen for the craving audience. This film certainly DOES kick ass! Expand
papamurrthSep 14, 2011
The 21st century has seen a revival in the superhero genre of films, and few are as unique and as brilliant as Kick-Ass. Created in the writing rooms of Marvel, the transition to cinema has been almost entirely successful, and has catapultedThe 21st century has seen a revival in the superhero genre of films, and few are as unique and as brilliant as Kick-Ass. Created in the writing rooms of Marvel, the transition to cinema has been almost entirely successful, and has catapulted this excellent comic into the mainstream. An outstanding aspect of the film is the casting, in particular bringing all of our attention to Chloë Moretz in the controversial role of Hit Girl. Others performed admirably too; Cage turned in a decent performance; Aaron Johnson played the eponymous role well; and comedy was provided from all angles in the form of Dave Lizewski's buddies, Marty and Todd. The real brilliance of the film though is routed in the realistic nature of the setting and characters, with the plot showing fantastic uniqueness. Kick-Ass has succeeded in being a great film, good fun to watch and yet at the same time making the audience feel emotionally invested in the characters. The action sequences are worth a special mention, in particular those involving the character Hit Girl, because of the way in which they are shot. Matthew Vaughn has pulled out all the stops in creating visually stunning fight sequences, and coupled with a well chosen soundtrack, he has created some of the best action sequences in recent times. None of this compromises the emotional integrity of the film, and for that the film creators deserve great credit given how gory the comic was. A great film, a kick-ass film. Expand
RichBlackSep 12, 2011
After watching this movie the second time, I can easily say that this is one of my favorite Superhero films, and then watching it the third time, I absolutely loved it even more! I found out how awesome the action scenes were and how theAfter watching this movie the second time, I can easily say that this is one of my favorite Superhero films, and then watching it the third time, I absolutely loved it even more! I found out how awesome the action scenes were and how the characters did a perfect job. I really didn't think this movie can be that dark and funny at the same time. Just can't see how some people would hate it. Well, I guess if you took your child to this movie thinking it will be for kids, but who would think of that with the title Kick-Ass. What Im really surprised about is how Nicholas cage did in this movie, playing Big Daddy. It wasn't one of his same old acting, but it was something most of us was waiting for. Of course, Hit Girl, played by Cloe Moretz, was my favorite character. She did the most awesome moves when fighting. Aaron Johnson might have been a new face to all of you, if you haven't seen Nowhere Boy, which you have to see. Aaron played the main character, Kick-Ass, who's got sick and tired of getting picked on. So he becomes a superhero, and becomes really famous. Then somehow everything turns out wrong, when a part of gang gets taken down by kick-Ass, Hit girl, and Big Daddy. The last two action scenes is so awesome and intense that I almost peed myself. Kick-Ass and Red Mist are probably the ones that make this movie have hilarious parts. I also discovered that this had songs from Danny Boyle's "28 days later" and "Sunshine" during the fight scenes that really made it's mark. I will definitely love this film, and the characters, and I think I just found a new favorite director, Mathew Vahn, who directed "Stardust" ( who would've guessed that), and produced "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". This movie is not the average superhero movie, but is definitely one of my favorites. Expand
alexandergreenSep 4, 2011
I was disappointed, to be honest. The film has few good moments, and I personally couldn't follow the plot due to a simple lack of interest in the characters.
J-ShapAug 28, 2011
Kick-Ass, despite all its grandiose, action, pop songs, violence, swearing, humor, and commentary, ends up to a film that simply wants to be cool and doesn't know when to stop. Eventually, all this effort and need to be important kills anyKick-Ass, despite all its grandiose, action, pop songs, violence, swearing, humor, and commentary, ends up to a film that simply wants to be cool and doesn't know when to stop. Eventually, all this effort and need to be important kills any sense of wonder, and the final product comes up as rather tame. The violence never has any punch because it is so forced (without the creative wit of some like Quentin Tarantino, it comes across as shock), and the comedy is too wink-and-a-nod to entertain. Expand
jimmytancrediAug 12, 2011
Kick-Ass is, for sure, a fine homage to super heroes. Besides entering on a cliche universe, however peculiar, from the characters (special abilities, graphic violence, good humor, and really versus evilness), the film brings a curiousKick-Ass is, for sure, a fine homage to super heroes. Besides entering on a cliche universe, however peculiar, from the characters (special abilities, graphic violence, good humor, and really versus evilness), the film brings a curious narrative which accosts the contrast between existentialism and the consequences of being a 'demigod'. The production, inspired in the graphic novel by John Romita Jr. and Mark Millar, is really well directed by the Britain and the debutant Matthew Vaughn. Apart from the cool balconies of metalanguage and creativity in conducting cameras, Vaughn brings a clever script that prints a breathtaking pace balancing drama, action (with inventive scenes and quality) and comedy in good measure. Telling more details about the heroes in "Kick-Ass" would be such a immorality. The amazing true story about the 'alter egos' work as well as the stories of famous 'vigilantes' on crime. Kick it Hit-Girl! Expand
movie__manAug 10, 2011
It's a good movie. Just don't take it too seriously. Lots of hardcore violence that i didn't expect and some very memorable characters. Kids, don't take advice on girls from a guy that looks like a hobbit. Enjoy.
bighead6000Jul 27, 2011
In my opinion, this movie was much better than I expected it to be. The story is pretty interesting, along with the action throughout the whole movie. This movie is a good movie that I think everyone would enjoy.
R7criticalJun 28, 2011
This movie starts off well enough, geeky kid gets crumpled up trying to play superhero, establishes this is the "Real World" we're supposed to be talking about, but then it goes downhill when super-human reflexes, shooting, and agility comeThis movie starts off well enough, geeky kid gets crumpled up trying to play superhero, establishes this is the "Real World" we're supposed to be talking about, but then it goes downhill when super-human reflexes, shooting, and agility come in with "Hit girl" and Batm... "Big daddy". These two have some of the most uninspired character designs I've seen in a long time. They look like garbage that would come out of a super hero MMORPG's character creator. Batman clone and anime schoolgirl. This trash is not clever at all. I don't know about the comic this was based on, nor do I care. Had the movie stayed true to the 'real world' ruleset it establishes in the beginning, it may have been better, but it quickly descended into horrifyingly bad when a little girl was zipping around DODGING BULLETS and performing ridiculous kills that would be over the top and showy in any medium. What little attempts at humor present in this movie are vastly overshadowed by how disturbing the father daughter duo's relationship is. The man brainwashes and trains his little girl to be an evil, remorseless killer and somehow these people are supposed to be heros? Final Verdict: This movie is intellectually insulting, shallow, and fails to keep with the rules it sets within itself. Don't waste your time with this one. Expand
myopinionJun 28, 2011
first thing man up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if it disturbes u that a kid kills dudes than dont watch an r movie ok the movie shows tat wether ur a sicopah or a regular dude y can make a diff
ZiggyStardustJun 16, 2011
Finally something new. Kick-Ass is meant for everybody! Whether you're young or old, you will enjoy this movie. The actors did a really good job and the question whether being a super-hero in our today's society would be any good is answered.
sebastianJun 4, 2011
Both the favorable and unfavorable reviews miss the moral question at the center of Vaughn's film: why are we bystanders? Kick-Ass' world is riotous, self-deprecating, and awesome; but it is the exact opposite of irresponsible. Rather, itBoth the favorable and unfavorable reviews miss the moral question at the center of Vaughn's film: why are we bystanders? Kick-Ass' world is riotous, self-deprecating, and awesome; but it is the exact opposite of irresponsible. Rather, it unmasks an adult world in which police officers operate on both sides of crime, citizens are voyeurs into one another's suffering, and we all wonder who is going to change it. By now, it is clear that neither adults nor teenagers are willing to risk their routines for their neighbors. At least teenagers still fantasize about doing something. So the obvious answer is a little girl who, with some sidekick mockery from Nic Cage, makes Batman look like a man dressed up like a bat. To echo other reviewers, Hitgirl is the new standard of awesome. But, until Kick-Ass' moment of transformation, she is also the last human willing to offer an embodied answer to injustice. That Vaughn hides this seriousness in such absolutely brilliant awesomeness might confuse some, but it should not be misinterpreted as a statement of "coolness" or teenage hormonal self-gratification. It's saying much more than that. Why hold the fact that it's also cool against it? Expand
juliankleissMay 31, 2011
Being based on the comic book of the same name, the movie "Kick-Ass" respects the traditions of the comic book superhero genre by consciously getting inspiration from Spiderman and Batman. However, it transcends simple imitation by far. TheBeing based on the comic book of the same name, the movie "Kick-Ass" respects the traditions of the comic book superhero genre by consciously getting inspiration from Spiderman and Batman. However, it transcends simple imitation by far. The production of the movie is awesome. Above all mentionable is the film's magnificent use of music. First off, in terms of the script, the movie does a wonderful job in criticizing the perceived lack of responsibility to people passing and watching a crime happen without doing anything against it. If many people start helping in bad situations that are not too dangerous, and if children are already being raised to intervene, everyone could contribute to a more secure society. This would also lessen the chance of getting mugged at some point in your life. On the other hand morally controversial, is the glorification of the revenge murdering committed by two of the protagonists who are less than more on the side of the righteous heroes. Even a woman that was not a threat but tried to flee was stabbed to death. Revenge killing is not a necessary evil for a good cause (as would be a killing in self defense). Therefore, they are hardly any different than some villain who kills for power. Rather than portraying the revenge in a neutral way or actually suggesting that revenge is morally bad, the cinematic glorification of it makes the movie less likable. Nevertheless, "Kick-Ass" is totally worth watching. Expand
KarthXLRMay 19, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good action movie, very meh in every other category. The gore is really all over the place, being ridiculous in some scenes (microwave scene, car crusher scene), and average in others. And for a movie that tries to act realistic most of the time, it pulls a lot of unbelievable twists. I mean, it's mainly just because it's being hypocritical. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not for everyone. Expand
lovemusicMay 15, 2011
I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH IT WAS FUNNY AND VIOLENT. IT WILL ENTERTAIN YOU. IT KICKED ASS. 10 out of 10 it was a great action movie. it was kinda like the comic book
AnezayMay 7, 2011
Entertaining deconstruction of the superhero trope. If you're easily offended by profanity, gratuitous violence, and the thought of children not being good and perfect little angels, don't watch this film (or go outside). Otherwise, be sureEntertaining deconstruction of the superhero trope. If you're easily offended by profanity, gratuitous violence, and the thought of children not being good and perfect little angels, don't watch this film (or go outside). Otherwise, be sure to give this one a try. Expand
CursedKnight187Apr 28, 2011
There's no doubting it, this movie is pretty funny. It kept me laughing for a while, but after a short time it does seem to get quite boring.
adverbApr 16, 2011
I found it utterly original and audacious. It left me feeling giddy and a little ashamed. Very funny and intelligent. And I liked it despite the inclusion of Nicolas Cage in the cast.
ExogenesisApr 9, 2011
The most eye opening and attention demanding movie I've ever seen, it expertly combines Action, Comedy and even a bit of romance, a fantastic, fun movie
XxKingLeonidasMar 22, 2011
Just another example of how great violent superhero movies can be. Great action scenes, memorable characters, a truly unique world, all helps create an experience like no other.
TheQuietGamerMar 7, 2011
This was one of my most anticipated movie of 2010, and it delivered on almost every front, it's about an average comic book nerd who decides to become a super hero, and because it's real life he gets his ass kicked, it's a great movie withThis was one of my most anticipated movie of 2010, and it delivered on almost every front, it's about an average comic book nerd who decides to become a super hero, and because it's real life he gets his ass kicked, it's a great movie with humor and action, the reason it's so appealing is because it's real life, the only flaw is at the end is that it gets unrealistic, which hurts the movie, but this is still one I can highly recommend. Expand
ovi_bzMar 5, 2011
This is a very trivial movie. An unhappy story with superheroes, where the main character is a fake hero, but a 11 years girl kills dozens of men. Nicolas Cage performance is bad, as in the most of his recent movies (too bad... he use to be aThis is a very trivial movie. An unhappy story with superheroes, where the main character is a fake hero, but a 11 years girl kills dozens of men. Nicolas Cage performance is bad, as in the most of his recent movies (too bad... he use to be a good actor). I don't have anything with the scenario, but the writers are very, very, very not inspired. Expand
alleyt1989Feb 25, 2011
This is one of the most enjoyable superhero movies of the last few years, with a decent storyline that is true to the original comic style. The killing scenes are quite impressive, but the story of Big Daddy and Hit Girl became a little tooThis is one of the most enjoyable superhero movies of the last few years, with a decent storyline that is true to the original comic style. The killing scenes are quite impressive, but the story of Big Daddy and Hit Girl became a little too sappy to compliment the remainder of the film. Expand
AJackson729Feb 19, 2011
Extremely clever take on the superhero genre. The movie is very fast-paced, and will you keep you entertained during the entire run time. Features some of the most incredible action scenes you'll see in any movie this year. Despite the youngExtremely clever take on the superhero genre. The movie is very fast-paced, and will you keep you entertained during the entire run time. Features some of the most incredible action scenes you'll see in any movie this year. Despite the young age of the actors in the film, this is definitely not a kids movie. The film depicts a much more realistic take on vigilante justice while remaining fun and exciting throughout. Expand
JonnyFendiJan 11, 2011
When you were child, have you ever wanted to be a superhero? I thought all the kids who were born in 80s and up ever thought about that, at least once. Thiz movie was very confident since the beginning, they advertise it rapidly and theWhen you were child, have you ever wanted to be a superhero? I thought all the kids who were born in 80s and up ever thought about that, at least once. Thiz movie was very confident since the beginning, they advertise it rapidly and the posters were very intriguing too. It is about Dave (Aaron Johnson), unpopular and nerdy boy at school who wants to be a superhero even without super power. He tried to save the world with alter-ego named kick-ass, on the contrary he got his ass kicked. Meanwhile, Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and her eleven-year-old daughter named Hit-Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz) who has been the real superheroes were fighting the crime againts drug dealer mob, Frank D Amico (Mark strong). Frank attempted to put his son, Chris (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) as undercover superhero named Red Mist, his intentions was to trap Kick-Ass. Mark Strong once again succesfully brought an interesting villain character. Recently, He had been bad guy for ROCKNROLLA (2008), THE YOUNG VICTORIA (2009), SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009), ROBIN HOOD (2010) and upcoming GREEN LANTERN (2011) and previously many more. He could deliver different bad guy characters with his aura and I admired him for that. I officially gave him Bad Guy of The Year award (if I could). Other casts, Johnson was standard and Cage performance was just what we needed. It is Chloë Grace Moretz who surprised us with believeable and easy-going performance. Outside of her Hit-Girl fight scene which was awesome (we knew probably substituted by stunt double) but she was also good in drama. The Director is Matthew Vaughn who directed STARDUST (2004) and respectable LAYER CAKE (2007). Actually on thiz movie, the conversation was rude (considered it as family movie) and the fight scene was bloody brutal, but we have to admit the story was original and effectively hilarious. The movie was brave enough to challenge the mainstream and it worked well in some moments. In my point of view, when we dare enough to laugh on ourself for our own stupidity or feebleness, that is the time we showed the big heart of us.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
OscarPicks2010Dec 21, 2010
Dave is a loser with a nerdy comicy brain. No one knew him at his school and his friends are just a bunch of losers. One day he saw a guy being beat up by a bunch of thugs and decided to jump in a help with his superhero costume. The videoDave is a loser with a nerdy comicy brain. No one knew him at his school and his friends are just a bunch of losers. One day he saw a guy being beat up by a bunch of thugs and decided to jump in a help with his superhero costume. The video was captured and became an internet phenomenon. Everyone tried to figure out who was this guy and named his Kick-Ass. Kick-Ass became a pop icon just in days. After hearing about Kick-Ass, hitmen Big Daddy & Hit Girl decided to go after him to join him with their group. Going through lots of violence and profanity, Kick-Ass finally got that these two don't kid around. They kill mercilessly, they enjoy taking lives, and they cuss like a bunch of New Yorkers. Kick-Ass is a refreshingly new film that adds to the comic-action-films genre. Kudos to strong performances from crazyass Nicolas Cage and the fouled-mouth Chloe Moretz.
OscarBuzz: Long shots for Best Visual Effect
GregFisherDec 16, 2010
Aptly titled Kick-Ass is an excellent comic book adaptation that proves that there is no stagnation in a superhero genre whatsoever. Based on Mark Millar's violent tale Kick-Ass is directed by Matthew Vaughn, the filmmaker who happens to haveAptly titled Kick-Ass is an excellent comic book adaptation that proves that there is no stagnation in a superhero genre whatsoever. Based on Mark Millar's violent tale Kick-Ass is directed by Matthew Vaughn, the filmmaker who happens to have a real knack for both action movies (Layer Cake) and teen fantasies (Stardust). It's more than evident in Kick-Ass and although the film has some problems with selecting the proper tone: it verges between campy comedy, dramatic piece and action spectacle, this is a gripping ride from start to finish.Vaughn's direction is nothing less than clever and kinetic. By employing video game techniques inspired by Shoot 'Em Up and Crank movies, Vaughn really excels at showing highly-stylized bloody violence on screen. As for the script, the main concept of an ordinary teenager who chooses to become a superhero is downright effective evoking loads of laughs and our sympathy. Aaron Johnson's cool, unrestrained performance also helps a great deal.The film revitalizes the genre by undermining its rules. The characters involved have no special powers, most of them, no necessary backstory and no turning point that resulted in them becoming superheroes, much like in Watchmen. Despite this, the movie establishes its own pantheon of heroes and the director knows that there's nothing more fascinating than the battle between good and evil shown in a vivid, exciting fashion.What's controversial about the film is the extensive use of pitch-black humor including the character of 11-year-old Mindy McReady aka Hit-Girl who has been trained from the early years to become a killing machine by her loving father aka Big Daddy. The whole subplot may be immoral for some who don't understand this kind of cinema, yet it's surprisingly plausible due to a tongue-in-cheek writing and acting talents of Chloe Moretz and Nicolas Cage who are as subversive in their respective parts as you can get. Last but not least, the artist formerly known as McLovin' channels a wannabe villain named Red Mist. You may be actually surprised by how smart he is in his plotting.Overall, Kick-Ass is a refreshingly funny and wickedly entertaining spectacle that warrants the whole franchise of masked teenagers to come. 9/10 (A-) Expand
GavGav96Dec 10, 2010
'Kick-Ass' is a seriously bloody, action-packed, fun-loving, imaginative, and above all, ridiculously hilarious piece of work. The levels of outrageousness and the action sequences are the film's most hooking elements.
AsaldiviOct 28, 2010
Watchmen meets Super Bad and Spy Kids. The film confuses, at first it seems like a movie for children, but suddenly scenes come up they shouldn't be watching, however that's what makes it unique.
MartyJOct 12, 2010
Kick Ass, what a great film it consists of 4 Superish Heroes, Kick Ass, Red Mist, Hit Girl and Big Daddy.

Now they're all geeks or weirdo's but their lovable and there are some stand out funny parts by far Hit Girl is the funniest and hardest hitting young girl going and the whole film brings a smile to my face while watching.

If you want a simple pseudo-comic hero film then this is up your street! If you just want a good action film then this is brilliant, well worth a watch.
TonyOct 12, 2010
A fun, overly stylized film, but absolutely did not live up to the fanboy hype. Aaron Johnson was cute and charming, and I enjoyed most of the story, but it ultimately did not leave that much of an impression on me.
Forrestgump1Oct 9, 2010
"Kick Ass , As far as Action films go , is amazing , stunning , and will keep you entertained for its 2hr run time , which sometimes maybe hard to do , Aaron Johnson leads a all star cast , with lots of action , fun and Excitement this is the"Kick Ass , As far as Action films go , is amazing , stunning , and will keep you entertained for its 2hr run time , which sometimes maybe hard to do , Aaron Johnson leads a all star cast , with lots of action , fun and Excitement this is the one movie that lives up to its TITLE!." A Expand
JudddyOct 4, 2010
Hugely entertaining, thanks mainly to the ass-kicking character 'Hit Girl', played by Chloe Moretz. This is Quentin Tarantino meets the superhero genre and is funny, gory and action-packed! Controversial? Definitely. Best film of the year soHugely entertaining, thanks mainly to the ass-kicking character 'Hit Girl', played by Chloe Moretz. This is Quentin Tarantino meets the superhero genre and is funny, gory and action-packed! Controversial? Definitely. Best film of the year so far? Maybe. Expand
The_DirtyRabbitOct 2, 2010
This movie was great on so many levels. Not only was the story intriguing and exciting. The acting was great. The character development was fantastic. The use of comic pages to tell the story gave you a real feeling of fantasy in reality.This movie was great on so many levels. Not only was the story intriguing and exciting. The acting was great. The character development was fantastic. The use of comic pages to tell the story gave you a real feeling of fantasy in reality. Some other great things about the movie were the fight chreoography which was much better than one would expect for a movie like this. The amazing musical score and soundtrack. As well as a bunch of very comedic scenes. This movie hits you with all the tools and If could remake it I wouldn't change a thing. Would highly recommend this movie to anyone. Expand
GrahamWDiffeeSep 15, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 10, i have watched this movie so many times now and i believe it is one of my favorites, as a huge fan of Chloe Grace Moretz, ill defend her on her behalf, People are saying this is terrible kid is cussing and killing people and got beat up from an older man, what people need to realize is that this is only a movie and its not actually happening, There were many great moment like when Cage was burning and Hit-Girl had to save him, and much more please go watch it and buy it on Blu-Ray Expand
CoDFatherSep 11, 2010
Ok, let me start out by saying this was obviously a cult movie, but, according to the 270+ positive ratings for Metacritic, and the four- star ratings by the magazines that saw this movie. That being said, this is pretty fake at most actionOk, let me start out by saying this was obviously a cult movie, but, according to the 270+ positive ratings for Metacritic, and the four- star ratings by the magazines that saw this movie. That being said, this is pretty fake at most action parts, which downed my happiness on how good the movie was to that first point. Now, that being said, this is a very good cult movie, even better than From Paris With Love, and that movie was **** sweet. This is a movie that is for sure, one of the movies in my top 20. Expand
phildogSep 10, 2010
Holy **** this movie is **** amazing. It starts out kinda ****ty and mediocre and then it just suddenly cranks the awesomeness to 11. An amazing story that comes up with a truly unique answer to the question, why aren't their any superheroes?
WWABTT123Sep 8, 2010
I reward it a "The Best Action Movie In 2010"
theycallmespikeSep 8, 2010
I'm not ashamed to admit this is one of my favorite movies of all time. The entire premise is ridiculous, but the movie takes itself so seriously that it feels like an actual attempt to make a super hero movie.
shlugalugSep 3, 2010
Kick-Ass is possibly one of the best films so far this year. It's brilliant - funny, violent and just so damn cool. Matthew Vaughn took a risk making this film and I can guarantee it's paid off. The film is packed full of comic bookKick-Ass is possibly one of the best films so far this year. It's brilliant - funny, violent and just so damn cool. Matthew Vaughn took a risk making this film and I can guarantee it's paid off. The film is packed full of comic book references and homages to film like Batman, Kill Bill and Scarface. The title character is played Aaron Johnson, who justifies his place on the screen. I thought his American accent (he's British) was very natural and he brings this 'loser' character to life. But don't think he's the star, it's actually his smaller companion played by Chloe Grace Moretz - the merciless and skilled fighter Hit Girl. She was effective, outstanding and gives one of the best performances by a child actor that I've seen in a while. She'll be remembered for quite some time. Other standouts performances include Nicolas Cage's performance as Hit Girl's father Big Daddy who was reminiscent of Adam West's Batman and Mark Strong's drug lord mobster Frank D'Amico actually was pretty funny. Matthew Vaughn's third film is nothing short of a miracle because some superhero movies are pretty awful now, I definitely think this will be a cult film from now on. Expand
DarkCriticAug 28, 2010
Kick-Ass is a beautifully well done superhero film of the year with lots of laughs and gushes with lots of blood. I love the cast,especially the new actor who played Kick-Ass character was very good and he could be the new star for theKick-Ass is a beautifully well done superhero film of the year with lots of laughs and gushes with lots of blood. I love the cast,especially the new actor who played Kick-Ass character was very good and he could be the new star for the 2010's. I love Nicholas Cage playing bad ass superhero who crosses between Batman and Nightowl. The young girl who plays the Hit-Girl and I give this girl for credit for doing some action scenes and beats the s*** all over those bad guys. It has lots of dark humor and seriously scenes between being a superhero it's a real thing or not? But I enjoy this movie and really love it for my best 2010 films on my list. Expand
JUIKERAug 28, 2010
An imaginative reboot of the superhero story with some cool visuals. I hate superhero stories at this point but this ranks in the top four of all time on my list, behind The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Spiderman 2, although this may be betterAn imaginative reboot of the superhero story with some cool visuals. I hate superhero stories at this point but this ranks in the top four of all time on my list, behind The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Spiderman 2, although this may be better than S2. Chloe Moretz is a very cool young actress. Expand