Miramax Films | Release Date: April 16, 2004
8.2
Universal acclaim based on 580 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EveningSunSep 10, 2004
A great conclusion to a brilliant movie phenomenon. Though not as fast-paced and adrenaline-pumping as Volume 1, the second part leaves a better aftertaste. Tarantino has not only shown that he's still the king of gritty crime movies, A great conclusion to a brilliant movie phenomenon. Though not as fast-paced and adrenaline-pumping as Volume 1, the second part leaves a better aftertaste. Tarantino has not only shown that he's still the king of gritty crime movies, but also how effortlessly he can handle romantic and emotional aspects to a marvellous effect. When put together, Kill Bill will stand as one of the greatest motion pictures of the new milennium. And after reading Johnny U.'s post - Do you honestly believe that just because you can't see a movie's good qualities that means there are none, and thus everyone rates that movie a 10 because the hype tells them so? Judging from your way of writing, it seems the only comment on the movie is "an absolute boreathon". Well, Johnny, maybe you should start judging a movie from its script, acting and direction too? Because these are the things that have made Tarantino's movies famous, and if you can't notice these things in a film, you shouldn't be commenting here at all. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
KimY.Sep 17, 2005
The first film was all action and very little to no character development or plot. All that comes in this part 2. And it's so much better! The action was very fast paced and over the top i the first one. Now we find out what it was all The first film was all action and very little to no character development or plot. All that comes in this part 2. And it's so much better! The action was very fast paced and over the top i the first one. Now we find out what it was all about and just who these people are. Tarantino has made a true epic when you put these 2 films together. And this part 2 shines far beyond the all action part one section. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
HyliadOct 7, 2011
Amazing movie, director and actors. All the characters are interresting, the action scenes are awesome, and Taratino knows how to surprises the viewer. A reference.
JudddyOct 4, 2010
Gory, unbelievably exciting and featuring fight sequences that will have you drooling on the edge of your seat, the concept is incredibly simple. 'KILL BILL'.
Definitely up there with 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Inglourious Basterds' as Quentin
Definitely up there with 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Inglourious Basterds' as Quentin Tarantino's best film to date, it is an old fashioned horror/comedy/drama that is just so entertaining!
StevenFMay 7, 2013
It's bigger, deadlier and much much better than Volume 1, which in itself was a fantastic film, but Kill Bill Volume 2 delivers a sucker punch in dramatic storytelling with wonderful homages to martial arts films of yesteryear, and this wasIt's bigger, deadlier and much much better than Volume 1, which in itself was a fantastic film, but Kill Bill Volume 2 delivers a sucker punch in dramatic storytelling with wonderful homages to martial arts films of yesteryear, and this was mastered without there being as much action as the first.
Right off the mark, we need to remember that this is a continuation, that these two films were supposed to be one, so to recap, The Bride (Uma Thurman) is on a revenge mission to hunt out those who betrayed her, former colleagues of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (Dennis Carradine).
This time around we meet Budd (Michael Madsen) who is now living in a trashed out trailer and getting by as a bouncer, until The Bride shows up. We are also reintroduced to Elle Driver, the one-eyed assassin from the previous instalment, with a much bigger part to play this time around.
Volume 2 confidently ties up all the loose ends of the first outing, the story is broader in scope to allow more of a human touch to the colourful proceedings, but still using past films to capture the true nature of the story.
While not as violent as the original, there is much more dialogue in Volume 2, the fact that the whole 'saga' is in fact one film shows true balance to the story, The Bride at first is full of hatred and revenge, but now realises she has almost reached the end of the road, and this makes for much more interesting and intriguing scenes with The Bride and of course, Bill.
Quentin Tarantino has now proved his ability to tell a compelling story through various body movements and the art of filmmaking and creating the perfect scene to capture that one defining moment, and that is where the cinematography exceeds in every level in this film.
Uma Thurman delivers another driven performance as The Bride, and yes, her real name is revealed in the film. Her continuing motivation to capture the essence of a character is what makes her a suitable lead, something which will always leave a lasting effect. Dennis Carradine is typically charming yet deadly as Bill, his references to comic books and how superheroes reflect human nature is genius, and shows the powerful dialogue that Tarantino can create.
The action scenes still do exist, while not is colourful, they are certainly memorable and beautiful to watch.
my advice is to sit and watch these two films as a whole, and to receive a true masterclass in filmmaking and how to put across a simple story for everyone else to be interested in.
paulgreenFeb 23, 2012
I like Tarantina's films! I like Uma Turman and this film is amazing! Love it ! It is me favourit film!
grandpajoe6191Sep 21, 2011
Slightly cleaner and organized than its prequel, but nevertheless its a messy film.
joeym.Dec 25, 2005
The best movie ever created.
2 of 5 users found this helpful
aznassassinDec 14, 2012
(NOTE: This review covers only Vol. 2 of the Kill Bill Saga. For Vol. 1, see my profile page. For a complete overall score on the entire Kill Bill saga, see after this review)
Part 2 of this elaborate revenge, murder rampage concentrates
Part 2 of this elaborate revenge, murder rampage concentrates more on the actual plot and less on the violence. Is that good thing? No, not at all. The violence and fighting sequences as well as the unique blend of Asian cinema homages and cinematography are what actually kept Vol. 1 above 5/10 for me. However, for Vol. 2, the homages and unique style of Vol. 1 is almost completely non-existent (no, the training segment with Pai Mei does not qualify to a homage as its cliche' as hell and has been done hundreds of times in modern films), the action sequences are reduces to a few disappointing minutes, the actual movie itself is set in some of the most bland locales (as opposed to exotic locations of Vol. 1), and the characters...you just dont care anymore. The new characters dont really bring much to the table and are all uninspiring to the point of mediocrity. You can almost feel that Thurman herself as a character is losing steam as opposed to her great portrayal in Vol.1. And finally, they decided to focus on the plot, the weakest aspect of the entire saga. Well, I guess they have to. Imagine Transformers with barely any cool fight sequences and have Shia Lebouf and Optimus Prime talk for most of the film. This is like Vol. 2 - instead of more violent sequences in the unique style and soundtrack as pinpointed by Vol. 1, Vol. 2 decided to just throw all that in the bin and opted for a more quiet and ultimately, more lacking concluding film which, while wraps up Kiddo's tale (the final 'boss fight' just feels disjointed and lacks tension), is at the end of the day, becomes a cliche' drama rather than an action thriller. Dont watch this on drunk nights like Vol. 1, instead just read the wikipedia plot section. You're not missing anything by not watching it. Throwing away the elements which made Part 1 fun, Vol. 2 of Kill Bill is a mediocre, disappointing conclusion that feel like a Samurai warrior who basically used up all his strength for the first half of the fight while for the second half, decides to use a gun instead to finish his opponent. OVERALL: With Vol. 1 and 2 taken into considerable, Kill Bill feels disjointed with dramatic shifts to pace that just feels unnatural. Decent fight sequences, coupled with unique film styles and homages to Asian cinema make the first half of the saga enjoyable if you're feeling a little bloodlustful wheras you may be disappointed at the ending and concluding hour where the pace slackens and action is thrown out the window. Kill Bill as a whole with Vol. 1 and 2 combined receives a 6/10. A decent, intriguing piece of cinema that will divide audiences and is ultimately an enjoyable thriller for those after something more raw and intimate.
HelpUJul 19, 2009
Everything in the movie seems out of place right down the over exaggerated action scenes to the terrible story.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
ElliottC.Sep 28, 2006
Another bomb from plagiarism king Quentin Tarantino. If you're going to steal from other movies, why not steal the good scenes and write around them?
2 of 12 users found this helpful
LiefS.Sep 5, 2007
i know the two kill bills were originally intended to be one long movie but be that as it may, the second one did not do it for me. we went from seeing the slaying of the crazy 88 in the first movie to a three second chair fight against the i know the two kill bills were originally intended to be one long movie but be that as it may, the second one did not do it for me. we went from seeing the slaying of the crazy 88 in the first movie to a three second chair fight against the main villain Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
evilDNov 25, 2005
The first movie was all action, this one is all plot, and I realize they split them for, actually I don't know, probably just to maximize the profits for what is, essentially, a cheap kung-fu flick. Granted, the action, though rare, is The first movie was all action, this one is all plot, and I realize they split them for, actually I don't know, probably just to maximize the profits for what is, essentially, a cheap kung-fu flick. Granted, the action, though rare, is fantastically over the top, but the long close-ups, the 10 minute spans of silence while NOTHING happens, all of those "Tarantino-isms" just get tiresome after a while. These could have EASILY been abridged and combined into a single, 2-hour film, but it seems we got the "Director's Cut" by default, and ultimately it ends up being a waste of time and money. I gotta sit through 3 hours of paper-thin plot spread out over TWO films just to see a half-hour's worth of action? That sucks! I AM a fan of Quentin's work, but this is mostly just self-indulgent "look how much time I wasted watching old, BETTER samurai flicks." Worth a rental, but after rewinding back over the action a few times, you've seen all you need to. Expand
0 of 4 users found this helpful
AlejandroR.Feb 24, 2006
This is the first movie I had to give a 0. This movie was so bad. This movie was one of the worst I have seen. Kill BIll? Or kill the cast and crew?
0 of 4 users found this helpful
1966ZodiacAug 16, 2010
Quentin Tarantino is a HIGHLY overrated director. All his movies are over the top with no good storylines and stupid sequences with one liners. I really didn't like this movie that much. It was entertaining at times but there are lots ofQuentin Tarantino is a HIGHLY overrated director. All his movies are over the top with no good storylines and stupid sequences with one liners. I really didn't like this movie that much. It was entertaining at times but there are lots of better martial art flicks. This movie doesn't deserve to be on imdb's top 250 and neither does the first. Quentin Tarantino is not a genius he's just a guy with a sick mind who shows it to everyone. People may call him artistic I say he's full of sh*t. Any artist could just take a canvas and randomly start painting crap that's completely orignal on it people may like it but I say a real artist takes time to work on the details and everything. Expand
Brian_McInnisJan 5, 2011
If, in 'Kill Bill Vol. 1', Quentin Tarantino made one of the best
movies for people who love Japanese grindhouse, then in 'Vol. 2' he
made one of the best movies for people who love movies. Tarantino has consistently been my favorite director
If, in 'Kill Bill Vol. 1', Quentin Tarantino made one of the best
movies for people who love Japanese grindhouse, then in 'Vol. 2' he
made one of the best movies for people who love movies. Tarantino has
consistently been my favorite director and 'Kill Bill Vol. 2' is the
greatest of all his films to date. This isn't a sequel to 'Vol. 1', as
he didn't decide to split 'Kill Bill' up until just after he finished
shooting, it's simply the second half. 'Vol. 1' is an excellent,
excellent film, but no where in the range of this one. I grin
ear-to-ear all the way through this movie.

'Vol. 2' is Quentin's most visually beautiful movie yet (and the
magnificent opening chapter, shot in gleaming black-and-white, is
resplendent to a degree that is profound, as is the great sequence at
Pai Mei's ancient abode, shot in gloriously seventies-style
over-saturated greens and glaring whites), and it's where his flair for
spaghetti-Westerns comes out the most. As in all of Tarantino's films,
the dialogue is an unadulterated joy.

This is nearly his least violent (and actually also almost his least
talkative) film yet, and I've read both the original script and David
Carradine's 'The Kill Bill Diaries', about all he saw of the making of
the movies, and it's clear that many of Quentin's best decisions had to
do with diminishing or removing the action. In place of the more
obvious strategy of showing us a detailed sequence of the Deadly Viper
Assassination Squad gruesomely gunning down the people in the chapel,
he decided no, pull back and let us just listen to a brief event from a
distance, observing it in a kind of silhouette. And in place of Bill
firing a warning shot at the Bride and holding her at gun-point while
she walks towards a couch to seat herself, he decided Bill simply
regards her casually, his pistol just visible at his waist, of which
they are both aware. In the earlier idea, all suspense would have been
spent with the warning shot. When Bill relates the tale of Pai Mei to
the Bride, he decided it would be more effective to let us use our
imaginations while listening to Bill's ponderous speech by the
camp-fire in the dark than to play seventies Kung Fu footage of Pai Mei
in action over the monologue.

The first time I saw the movie, the first big thing that struck me was
Budd. His is a great and
tragic character, and Michael Madsen is a great actor, and his
performance begins in a singularly perfect scene with Carradine which
shows us his indifference to, and acceptance of, his approaching
probable demise. And for a long stretch the Bride is forgotten, and we
simply follow Budd into the lonely strip club he tends bar at, getting
a taste of what his existence has become, of his disappointment and
withdrawal from life (the scene where he argues with his boss Larry and
finally relinquishes both his hat and his pride is worthy of applause).
Every time I watch the scene of the Bride's sneak-attack on him, I am
more amazed by how exquisitely constructed the whole sequence is. A
long, meticulous build-up ending in unexpected truncation is a
trade-mark of Quentin's, in action as well as dialogue. What Budd does with the Bride is endlessly fascinating to me in its brilliant, primeval simplicity. This is the stuff of great myths. In the last chapter the tone of the film changes from the grandiose, Tarantinian adventure of the first four chapters and settles into an intimate dialogue between the story's two central characters (and one other, for a time), in which Quentin subtly and expertly simmers the tension and danger that exists between these two supremely deadly assassins. This section of the film is in keeping with an other trade-mark of Quentin's, that of inserting elements of simplest, uttermost reality into an over-the-top, epic story. With Quentin's help, David Carradine produced a magnificent performance in this film, as a man who is possibly even more laid-back than Carradine was himself (and who delivers three great monologues), but who can be deeply, genuinely menacing. 'Kill Bill Vol. 2' is the most joyful, the most exciting, the most glorious celebration of the cinema I've ever seen. It is Tarantino's deepest and most emotionally powerful film by far (and the often over-looked sequence of the Bride slowly preparing herself before leaving a bed-room to face Bill is one of the very best in the film). It has both the best and second- best uses of music I've heard in a movie (if not more). The climax of the Bride's raggedly magnificent confrontation with her wicked rival Elle evokes in me the emotion of sheer love. And the scene of the Bride's triumph over the designs of Budd has become my central image of the cinema. This is a movie that bursts with human life, and with its director's signature passion and love of the movies. I can't tell you how many times I've put the D.V.D. in to look at a specific part, and then ended up watching the whole damn thing again.
cabritaAug 10, 2012
I feel as though Tarrantino's wasted his own and the actors talents. Unlike most of his movies the films talky scenes are boring and stupid. I loved the rest of his movies but Kill Bill vol 2 just sucks.
CooterPatooterMar 3, 2012
Highly overrated, ridiculously overlong, highly plagiarized yawner that makes little sense. Stale and action-free from start to finish. The first film was shoddy, but at least it was moderately ENTERTAINING! Tarantino at his absolute worst,Highly overrated, ridiculously overlong, highly plagiarized yawner that makes little sense. Stale and action-free from start to finish. The first film was shoddy, but at least it was moderately ENTERTAINING! Tarantino at his absolute worst, unless you count his performance in From Dusk Til Dawn... Expand
Trev29Mar 31, 2012
This movie took me by surprise because it was so different than the first one. However, that only made it better. This movie has such an impressive essence about it. Uma was very convincing and brilliant in this film. It is brutal andThis movie took me by surprise because it was so different than the first one. However, that only made it better. This movie has such an impressive essence about it. Uma was very convincing and brilliant in this film. It is brutal and unsympathetic in its nature. Among one of the best films ever. A true masterpiece. Expand
DaveB.Mar 2, 2008
Loved it! It does not surprise me that some people don't though. Quentin T is an acquired taste. Loved the first one too! This guy makes movies the way I would, if I only could. He pulls no punches. Oh, and both movies had some great tunes!!!
alexbAug 10, 2008
Another beauty from a brilliant man. This movie is a psychological wonder. The ending was perfect because it mirrored the Bride and Bills warrior ability. This is why I love movies so much, and this is why I love Tarantino so much.
KMMar 19, 2009
Though it wasn't blood splattering fun like the first, it is a great movie all its own and it ends up giving a great conclusion to the epic.
DavidSApr 26, 2010
THIS is the kind of movie I want to see more of. Flawed, unpolished, and borderline inaccessible to half the population, but incredibly unique, ambitious, and memorable. Tarantino ignores the flat standards set out by hollywood and its hack THIS is the kind of movie I want to see more of. Flawed, unpolished, and borderline inaccessible to half the population, but incredibly unique, ambitious, and memorable. Tarantino ignores the flat standards set out by hollywood and its hack critics. This is not a "good" movie. This is not a polished movie. This is not a movie that recognizes, nor cares about, what fans of the first want to see. This is, purely and simply, a work of art in its rawest, most personal form. And it is incredible to behold. Expand
VictoriaApr 18, 2004
[***SPOILERS***] This movie was absolutely amazing. Although without Volume 1 would not be half as great as we all hold it. Speaking of Volume 1, Volume 2 makes 10 times better. Since everything is finally explained, this movie has absolute[***SPOILERS***] This movie was absolutely amazing. Although without Volume 1 would not be half as great as we all hold it. Speaking of Volume 1, Volume 2 makes 10 times better. Since everything is finally explained, this movie has absolute greatness. Although there was less action and more feeling in this one, it was still filled with the fights. Especially the showdown between The Bride and Elle. One of the greatest parts of the movie was the part about snatching Elle's eye, and when Elle says "I killed your master". It was genius. Overall I give Kill Bill Volume 2 a 10 because I thought it was amazing. Expand
JamesMDec 20, 2005
Those ten minute scenes where nothing happens? When was this? Perhaps I was reaching for the popcorn or saying something to a friend when these ten minute scenes took place. Taranino is known for the energy in his films, and even though Kill Those ten minute scenes where nothing happens? When was this? Perhaps I was reaching for the popcorn or saying something to a friend when these ten minute scenes took place. Taranino is known for the energy in his films, and even though Kill Bill Vol. 2 (and also Jackie Brown) took on a more relaxed tone doesn't make them elegible for criticism such as yours evil D. And I quote: "I gotta sit through 3 hours of paper-thin plot spread out over TWO films just to see a half-hour's worth of action? That sucks!" Perhaps you should go back to watching Commando. Expand
PatrickD.Apr 18, 2006
I agree with evil D. This was better than the first, (Thank God) but it was so slow. So slow...... It's trying to un-do the shallow-ness of the first. But, we spend more time learning about Bud than learning about the hero. Every scene I agree with evil D. This was better than the first, (Thank God) but it was so slow. So slow...... It's trying to un-do the shallow-ness of the first. But, we spend more time learning about Bud than learning about the hero. Every scene is overstuffed, ecspecially the part when Bill and The Bride are talking. I remember my mother saying something about the superhero speech being overdrawn. True, true. Expand
KendoJJun 10, 2009
7.6 Perfect sequel to a very cool movie. Alternately hilarious and excruciating. Pai Mei is a brilliant caricature.
GavinCJul 27, 2009
Less action, more talking but it somehow lives up to the original's standards.
JayF.Feb 19, 2006
Like volume one, "A truly beautiful and violent piece of filmwork from Quentin Tarantino".
MarkG.May 18, 2007
What's not to love about this movie? Fair enough, its not your type of film, but why even bother attempting to critisize the very elements that make is fantastic?? Tarantino, a self confessed comic book geek throws a comic book story at What's not to love about this movie? Fair enough, its not your type of film, but why even bother attempting to critisize the very elements that make is fantastic?? Tarantino, a self confessed comic book geek throws a comic book story at us on the big screen. Sharp, trademark, witty dialogue and adrenaline fuelled action scenes make this film two and a half hours of simple Tarantino fun. The Kill Bill franchise is one of a kind, and prehaps instead of 'know-all so-called film reviewers' condemning this film for its lack of realism and over-stuffed scenes, they should sit back and actually look at a piece of work that stands out brilliantly against the bleak and bland overly-used hollywood plot formulas. Great film. Great director. Expand