7.9

1. Oct 4, 2010
    Gory, unbelievably exciting and featuring fight sequences that will have you drooling on the edge of your seat, the concept is incredibly simple. 'KILL BILL'.
    Definitely up there with 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Inglourious Basterds' as Quentin Tarantino's best film to date, it is an old fashioned horror/comedy/drama that is just so entertaining!
  2. May 7, 2013
    It's bigger, deadlier and much much better than Volume 1, which in itself was a fantastic film, but Kill Bill Volume 2 delivers a sucker punch in dramatic storytelling with wonderful homages to martial arts films of yesteryear, and this was mastered without there being as much action as the first.
    Right off the mark, we need to remember that this is a continuation, that these two films were supposed to be one, so to recap, The Bride (Uma Thurman) is on a revenge mission to hunt out those who betrayed her, former colleagues of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (Dennis Carradine).
    This time around we meet Budd (Michael Madsen) who is now living in a trashed out trailer and getting by as a bouncer, until The Bride shows up. We are also reintroduced to Elle Driver, the one-eyed assassin from the previous instalment, with a much bigger part to play this time around.
    Volume 2 confidently ties up all the loose ends of the first outing, the story is broader in scope to allow more of a human touch to the colourful proceedings, but still using past films to capture the true nature of the story.
    While not as violent as the original, there is much more dialogue in Volume 2, the fact that the whole 'saga' is in fact one film shows true balance to the story, The Bride at first is full of hatred and revenge, but now realises she has almost reached the end of the road, and this makes for much more interesting and intriguing scenes with The Bride and of course, Bill.
    Quentin Tarantino has now proved his ability to tell a compelling story through various body movements and the art of filmmaking and creating the perfect scene to capture that one defining moment, and that is where the cinematography exceeds in every level in this film.
    Uma Thurman delivers another driven performance as The Bride, and yes, her real name is revealed in the film. Her continuing motivation to capture the essence of a character is what makes her a suitable lead, something which will always leave a lasting effect. Dennis Carradine is typically charming yet deadly as Bill, his references to comic books and how superheroes reflect human nature is genius, and shows the powerful dialogue that Tarantino can create.
    The action scenes still do exist, while not is colourful, they are certainly memorable and beautiful to watch.
    my advice is to sit and watch these two films as a whole, and to receive a true masterclass in filmmaking and how to put across a simple story for everyone else to be interested in.
  3. DerrickD.
    Apr 18, 2004
    Before anyone starts whining about the slow pace, the lack of action, and the fact that this movie "doesn't stand on it own", please consider the fact that the movie isn't meant to stand on its own at all. It, along with Vol.1 are meant to be viewed as a whole and if you're looking for some schlocky, bigger, gorier, more explosive sequel then you are setting yourself up for Before anyone starts whining about the slow pace, the lack of action, and the fact that this movie "doesn't stand on it own", please consider the fact that the movie isn't meant to stand on its own at all. It, along with Vol.1 are meant to be viewed as a whole and if you're looking for some schlocky, bigger, gorier, more explosive sequel then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I actually enjoyed the fact that Tarantino took the time to slow down and flesh out the brilliant characters of the first movie. The [conclusion (spoiler ommitted)], while anticlimactic to some, is much more appropriate than a knockdown-dragout slugfest that would have done nothing but cheapen the experience all together. Even though I don't think of this movie as a true sequel, I still wish that more sequel could be made in such a matter, instead of the idiotic, money-motivated, big budget, bigger and "better" crap that is released. Expand
  4. VinceH.
    Apr 18, 2004
    Replacing the non-linear, action-packed and bloody soaked fighting of the first film, Tarantino has dedicated this film to character moments and the best dialogue in years. We learn a lot more about Bud, Bill, and the Bride (whose name is finally received). If you go into this film expecting another Vol. 1, you will be dissapointed. The best way to enjoy this is to view it as a part of a Replacing the non-linear, action-packed and bloody soaked fighting of the first film, Tarantino has dedicated this film to character moments and the best dialogue in years. We learn a lot more about Bud, Bill, and the Bride (whose name is finally received). If you go into this film expecting another Vol. 1, you will be dissapointed. The best way to enjoy this is to view it as a part of a whole. The dialogue alone is worth admission. Essentially the last hour of the film is just the Bride and Bill talking to each other...that's it. No action, nothing. The speech that Bill gives about the difference between Superman and Spiderman is arguably one of the finest pieces Tarantino has ever written and brilliant stuff. One of the 10 best movies I've seen this year. Expand
  5. RJSamson
    Jul 12, 2004
    Though some of the dialogues were lengthy, and made me yawn a bit, everything just fell into place as the movie progressed to its climax. Kill Bill 2 is all about the emotional dilemma and conflicts that result to unimaginable consequences. One of the best action movies ever made!
  6. EveningSun
    Sep 10, 2004
    A great conclusion to a brilliant movie phenomenon. Though not as fast-paced and adrenaline-pumping as Volume 1, the second part leaves a better aftertaste. Tarantino has not only shown that he's still the king of gritty crime movies, but also how effortlessly he can handle romantic and emotional aspects to a marvellous effect. When put together, Kill Bill will stand as one of the A great conclusion to a brilliant movie phenomenon. Though not as fast-paced and adrenaline-pumping as Volume 1, the second part leaves a better aftertaste. Tarantino has not only shown that he's still the king of gritty crime movies, but also how effortlessly he can handle romantic and emotional aspects to a marvellous effect. When put together, Kill Bill will stand as one of the greatest motion pictures of the new milennium. And after reading Johnny U.'s post - Do you honestly believe that just because you can't see a movie's good qualities that means there are none, and thus everyone rates that movie a 10 because the hype tells them so? Judging from your way of writing, it seems the only comment on the movie is "an absolute boreathon". Well, Johnny, maybe you should start judging a movie from its script, acting and direction too? Because these are the things that have made Tarantino's movies famous, and if you can't notice these things in a film, you shouldn't be commenting here at all. Expand
  7. KimY.
    Sep 17, 2005
    The first film was all action and very little to no character development or plot. All that comes in this part 2. And it's so much better! The action was very fast paced and over the top i the first one. Now we find out what it was all about and just who these people are. Tarantino has made a true epic when you put these 2 films together. And this part 2 shines far beyond the all The first film was all action and very little to no character development or plot. All that comes in this part 2. And it's so much better! The action was very fast paced and over the top i the first one. Now we find out what it was all about and just who these people are. Tarantino has made a true epic when you put these 2 films together. And this part 2 shines far beyond the all action part one section. Expand
  8. ThomY.
    Apr 17, 2004
    I have to wonder if the people that hated this movie so much have ever seen a Tarantino movie before. I didn't much care for the first movie but coupled together the two would have been a masterpiece. Vol 2., true to Tarantino in every way, is filled with memorable, cleverly overscripted dialogue and the acting is dry and cuting. Oh yeah, and the sound effects are unbelieveable.
  9. JB
    Apr 19, 2004
    I guess there's two types of people, the kind that liked the action of the first one, or the one's who prefer the languid pace of the second. I'm definitely the latter. As exciting as the first one was was, the blood turned me off eventually. After Vol. 1, how could Tarentino stage a final action scene to trump everything before. He doesn't, and gives us a surprisingly I guess there's two types of people, the kind that liked the action of the first one, or the one's who prefer the languid pace of the second. I'm definitely the latter. As exciting as the first one was was, the blood turned me off eventually. After Vol. 1, how could Tarentino stage a final action scene to trump everything before. He doesn't, and gives us a surprisingly touching ending. I expected a fun but shallow movie, but I unexpectedly got a lot of heart instead. Expand
  10. DenizD.
    May 11, 2004
    This is a master piece of Tarantino's a Great movie for all martial Arts fans but the movie is so great becose Yuen-yoo-ping is the action director.
  11. KyleA.
    Jul 9, 2004
    Excellent film with witty dialogue and exuberant fight scenes.
  12. Oct 7, 2011
    Amazing movie, director and actors. All the characters are interresting, the action scenes are awesome, and Taratino knows how to surprises the viewer. A reference.
  13. Feb 23, 2012
    I like Tarantina's films! I like Uma Turman and this film is amazing! Love it ! It is me favourit film!
  14. Sep 21, 2011
    Slightly cleaner and organized than its prequel, but nevertheless its a messy film.
  15. joeym.
    Dec 25, 2005
    The best movie ever created.
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    (NOTE: This review covers only Vol. 2 of the Kill Bill Saga. For Vol. 1, see my profile page. For a complete overall score on the entire Kill Bill saga, see after this review)
    Part 2 of this elaborate revenge, murder rampage concentrates more on the actual plot and less on the violence. Is that good thing? No, not at all. The violence and fighting sequences as well as the unique blend of Asian cinema homages and cinematography are what actually kept Vol. 1 above 5/10 for me. However, for Vol. 2, the homages and unique style of Vol. 1 is almost completely non-existent (no, the training segment with Pai Mei does not qualify to a homage as its cliche' as hell and has been done hundreds of times in modern films), the action sequences are reduces to a few disappointing minutes, the actual movie itself is set in some of the most bland locales (as opposed to exotic locations of Vol. 1), and the characters...you just dont care anymore. The new characters dont really bring much to the table and are all uninspiring to the point of mediocrity. You can almost feel that Thurman herself as a character is losing steam as opposed to her great portrayal in Vol.1. And finally, they decided to focus on the plot, the weakest aspect of the entire saga. Well, I guess they have to. Imagine Transformers with barely any cool fight sequences and have Shia Lebouf and Optimus Prime talk for most of the film. This is like Vol. 2 - instead of more violent sequences in the unique style and soundtrack as pinpointed by Vol. 1, Vol. 2 decided to just throw all that in the bin and opted for a more quiet and ultimately, more lacking concluding film which, while wraps up Kiddo's tale (the final 'boss fight' just feels disjointed and lacks tension), is at the end of the day, becomes a cliche' drama rather than an action thriller. Dont watch this on drunk nights like Vol. 1, instead just read the wikipedia plot section. You're not missing anything by not watching it. Throwing away the elements which made Part 1 fun, Vol. 2 of Kill Bill is a mediocre, disappointing conclusion that feel like a Samurai warrior who basically used up all his strength for the first half of the fight while for the second half, decides to use a gun instead to finish his opponent. OVERALL: With Vol. 1 and 2 taken into considerable, Kill Bill feels disjointed with dramatic shifts to pace that just feels unnatural. Decent fight sequences, coupled with unique film styles and homages to Asian cinema make the first half of the saga enjoyable if you're feeling a little bloodlustful wheras you may be disappointed at the ending and concluding hour where the pace slackens and action is thrown out the window. Kill Bill as a whole with Vol. 1 and 2 combined receives a 6/10. A decent, intriguing piece of cinema that will divide audiences and is ultimately an enjoyable thriller for those after something more raw and intimate.
  17. HelpU
    Jul 19, 2009
    Everything in the movie seems out of place right down the over exaggerated action scenes to the terrible story.
  18. ElliottC.
    Sep 28, 2006
    Another bomb from plagiarism king Quentin Tarantino. If you're going to steal from other movies, why not steal the good scenes and write around them?
  19. ChrisG.
    Apr 17, 2004
    This movie is not like the first half. It has no action compared to the first one. It was a waste of time. A total of * people die in the movie, there's less than 2 minutes of any action and there's enough filler here to bore any person on the planet. They spend 15 minutes in a strip club, only to have nothing come of it. They explain the wedding massacre from the first movie This movie is not like the first half. It has no action compared to the first one. It was a waste of time. A total of * people die in the movie, there's less than 2 minutes of any action and there's enough filler here to bore any person on the planet. They spend 15 minutes in a strip club, only to have nothing come of it. They explain the wedding massacre from the first movie only to pull away right as the fighting begins. Nothing is redeeming in this movie whatsoever. There are some good jokes, and what little action there is (2 fight scenes) is quite nice, but not enough to make up for 90 minutes of filler. Collapse
  20. Ross
    Apr 24, 2004
    On balance quite a good movie. Occasionally I felt it was dragging it's feet. With a little tightening, both movies combined might be a better experience. I must admit Thurman was excellent, except for the hammy "tough guy" type lines - her delivery didn't quite work for me. Carradine was also very good. Some of the dialogue was forced, especially Darryl Hannah's - or am I On balance quite a good movie. Occasionally I felt it was dragging it's feet. With a little tightening, both movies combined might be a better experience. I must admit Thurman was excellent, except for the hammy "tough guy" type lines - her delivery didn't quite work for me. Carradine was also very good. Some of the dialogue was forced, especially Darryl Hannah's - or am I missing the point? Their trailer fight was incredible, but could have done with a few more minutes. Speaking of dialogue, I would have to say Jackie Brown is his best work in that department. I do think Volume 2 is being over-rated by some. It didn't knock me between the eyes the way the first one did, which was certainly a "triumph of style over substance" (read that somewhere). I didn't find this one as memorable or as fun. Volume 1 also had one of the best soundtracks ever to grace a film. I'm still looking foward to seeing it again and hopefully I'll find more to enjoy. Expand
  21. YoonMinC.
    Aug 7, 2004
    A slug of a movie shot full of slugs. remember ricochet rabbit's deputy, the one whose pistol dripped with bullets? that's kill bill 2, lifeless and dull, about as exciting as chewing on a worm inside a tequila bottle. a limp and flaccid fusion of spaghetti western and takeout chopsocky--as well as yakuza film, noir, 70s blaxploitation, and whatever tarantino copped from his daysA slug of a movie shot full of slugs. remember ricochet rabbit's deputy, the one whose pistol dripped with bullets? that's kill bill 2, lifeless and dull, about as exciting as chewing on a worm inside a tequila bottle. a limp and flaccid fusion of spaghetti western and takeout chopsocky--as well as yakuza film, noir, 70s blaxploitation, and whatever tarantino copped from his days as a video clerk--it proves once again that since pulp fiction, tarantino has been more a cine-dj than a director. tarantino, so vital, personal, and powerful with reservoir dogs, is now content to play nose-picking sushi chef. it's a dumb movie that sidesteps its stupidity by winking at us constantly that it's subversively aware of its stupidity. well, it works for 5 min beavis and butthead segments, but self-conscious stupidity cannot sustain an entire movie with a character we're supposed to care about. at best, being brilliantly dumb is clever; when it goes on for 2 hrs+, it's annoying as hell still, uma thurman is a real beaut. statuesque and charging like a mare with flaming nostils... wow, that IS cool. Expand
  22. PepsiCola
    May 10, 2005
    I couldn't keep falling sleep when watching this movie; if anyone like it, they are probably bored out of their minds.
  23. LiefS.
    Sep 5, 2007
    i know the two kill bills were originally intended to be one long movie but be that as it may, the second one did not do it for me. we went from seeing the slaying of the crazy 88 in the first movie to a three second chair fight against the main villain
  24. RyanW.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Don't believe the hype. Go see The Whole Ten Yards instead...I nearly soiled myself watching it; Kill Bill made me want to sleep.
  25. AaronF.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Altogether not as good as Vol. 1. The first hour is as brilliant as any part of the first, but the second hour is dominated by dialogue. Wouldn't be a fault if it rang true, but Tarantino seems to want to hold our hand during Bill and The Bride's final exchanges. If you payed attention to Vol. 1, this is rather cloying as most of what goes on is rather self-explanatory given the Altogether not as good as Vol. 1. The first hour is as brilliant as any part of the first, but the second hour is dominated by dialogue. Wouldn't be a fault if it rang true, but Tarantino seems to want to hold our hand during Bill and The Bride's final exchanges. If you payed attention to Vol. 1, this is rather cloying as most of what goes on is rather self-explanatory given the quality of the acting. Quentin needs to trust himself and get better aquainted with the editing room (Or release both parts together). Expand
  26. CameronS.
    Apr 17, 2004
    I am a big fan of George A. Romero?s zombie classics Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The latter film is a fun action movie, it contains many great scares, gore galore, and has biting humor in a world where humor is dying with the dead civilization. The characters are also well developed and the film is focused primarily on four stranded refugees in a vast mall, the pinnacle I am a big fan of George A. Romero?s zombie classics Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. The latter film is a fun action movie, it contains many great scares, gore galore, and has biting humor in a world where humor is dying with the dead civilization. The characters are also well developed and the film is focused primarily on four stranded refugees in a vast mall, the pinnacle of the 20th Century, while also creating many comic zombie fellows roaming the mall. Absent are the things that made Romero?s film a great horror-comedy achievement. The poorly shot and imprudently edited actions scenes are incomprehensible to a point where it is hard to tell what?s going on. There are far many more characters this time around, whose sole purpose is to get killed violently by the films climax. However, something did survive into this remake, and that?s the comedy. The film is terribly funny, making for something of an entertaining piece. What I especially liked about the much better zombie movie ?Return of the Living Dead? was that the characters lived in a world where zombie movies existed, especially Romero?s films. The characters, as dumb as they were at times knew that they were dealing with zombies. I note this because there is a scene when all the excess characters show up they wheel in a woman who is clearly about to turn into the dead, with her gray skin highlighting and her dying green veins becoming clearly noticeable. I was just thinking how dumb these people would have to be to let someone they knew would be turning into the mall. Note to everybody: when somebody is greyly pale with their veins popping out and the smell of death, don?t let them into your place of refugee. The direction is quite sophomoric and the screenplay is a serviceable homage to the original while coming up with some original tact and wit of its own, though it plays with the usual thoughts and clichés of most modern horror films. That being understood, the acting is quite serviceable for this kind of movie, with Ving Rhames spouting lines so intrepidly panicky they come off exceedingly humorous. The film feels terribly inspired by the far superior 28 Days Later, but not stealing anything that would have made a difference, like the anti-cliché of instant infection. Now we have zombies that are faster but just as dumb who can tip mobile vehicles that weigh several tons but are unable to break through a glass door. I didn?t wholly dislike this film, but I am curious as to why anybody would want to see this picture over Romero?s own classic. But a good comment I would like to say about it, it is far better than Tom Savini?s trite, inane, and ghastly Night of the Living Dead remake or even Romero?s own humdrum, flavorless, spendthrift, feeble Day of the Dead. But then again, that?s not much of an accomplishment either. Expand
  27. Lucy
    Complete trash.
  28. KurtS.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie is symptomatic of Hollywood's current obsession with producing trilogies and serials. Like it's turgid, mind-numbing predecessor, it is simply half a movie. I'd rather pay to see a whole movie, thanks.
  29. BarbaraM.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Not bad.
  30. DaveS.
    Apr 21, 2004
    Splitting this movie in two is absolutely unforgivable. Both parts suffer when they are viewed separately!

1. Kill Bill-Vol. 2 puts to shame doubts entertained about aesthetic strategies or structural imbalance provoked by "Kill Bill-Vol. 1." Now that the entirety of Quentin Tarantino's epic revenge melodrama is on view, "Kill Bill" emerges as a brilliant, invigorating work, one to muse over for years to come.
    You'll thrill to the action, savor the tasty dialogue and laugh like bloody hell.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Originally conceived as one film, the two-parter that has finally emerged can now be seen as a truly epic work.