Kissing Jessica Stein

8.5

1. WilliamM.
    Apr 14, 2002
    Excellent film. Probably the most honest ending you could expect, but Heather J. was incredible in her role! I really hope we see more of her in upcoming films.
  2. DanB.
    Mar 19, 2002
    Slightly above amateur-hour, slightly below mediocre.
  3. KatayoonH.
    Apr 30, 2002
    A great movie! This film portrays how two women can understand each other better than any other man. Yet if the sex is involved, each has to follow its own nature. Just I can never a Jewish family accepting this fact. Will that be possible in real world as shown in the movie? I have no idea.
  4. JudithS.
    May 10, 2002
    I thought it was delightful and very very funny. The acting at times was a little false, but generally the film enchants.
  5. JoelB.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Kissing Jessica Stein is a virtually perfect movie. Any flaws it may have are miniscule compared to its many strenths. The script brings to life three-dimensional characters facing difficult dilemas in belieble ways. The dialogue is pitch perfect and often hilarious. The acting is strong. The pacing of the movie, helped by the editing, gives us a chance to relax after some tense scenes Kissing Jessica Stein is a virtually perfect movie. Any flaws it may have are miniscule compared to its many strenths. The script brings to life three-dimensional characters facing difficult dilemas in belieble ways. The dialogue is pitch perfect and often hilarious. The acting is strong. The pacing of the movie, helped by the editing, gives us a chance to relax after some tense scenes and leads us from offbeat humor back to drama. The finest compliment I can give is that the movie can be enjoyed over and over without blemishes being discovered after much viewing. There are no such blemishes. The DVD helped me to appreciate all that went into making this fine movie. Expand
  6. NikK.
    Jul 6, 2004
    I adored this movie! It is very well played and very well written and it captures an image of lesbianism more close to the truth than the other films I saw. Very funny and it leaves a bittersweet taste at the end.
  7. JeremyS.
    Oct 2, 2002
    The Somewhat Overbearing Mother. The Gay Best Friend (or in this case, Friends). The Montage of Unacceptable Dates. The Oblivious Side Characters. The Heroine Who Doesn't Know What She Wants In a Relationship. This movie has all these cliches and executes them in a perfectly average way.
  8. JessicaA.
    Mar 22, 2002
    This movie rocks. Funny, touching, creative. So much better than most of the crap that comes out week to week. Loved it.
  9. NaomiR.
    Jun 25, 2002
    The whole movie isn't going like you'd think it will go.. New players on the field, well done!!
  10. ChadS.
    Mar 7, 2005
    It's hard to think of a funnier moment in any film of recent vintage than the scene in which Jessica tells her pregnant co-worker about Helen. Conversely, "Kissing Jessica Stein" also has one of the best scenes that shows unconditional parental love for a child. The filmmaker doesn't make a running joke out of a mother's cluelessness. Even though the film undermines its It's hard to think of a funnier moment in any film of recent vintage than the scene in which Jessica tells her pregnant co-worker about Helen. Conversely, "Kissing Jessica Stein" also has one of the best scenes that shows unconditional parental love for a child. The filmmaker doesn't make a running joke out of a mother's cluelessness. Even though the film undermines its wonderful mother-daughter front porch heart to heart in the final act, "Kissing Jessica Stein" has too many big laughs for this betrayal of premise to do any irreparable damage on our pleasure centers. Expand
  11. JeffM.
    Nov 11, 2002
    Smart, if a little cutesy at times. It has that laid-back, soft around the edges feel of some of Rob Reiner's better films. Had they upped the ante by making it more intelligently raunchy (a la "Chasing Amy"), we could have a had classic here.
  12. BillW.
    Dec 28, 2002
    Overacted, overwritten, and as a gay and lesbian film, it was done better in the 70's.
  13. JudyG.
    Mar 15, 2002
    Funny, real New York movie. Looking for more. Loved Helen.
  14. MarcK.
    Apr 11, 2002
    This could be one of the sleeper hits of the season. It's mid-April as I write this, and it's showing great legs! One of those films where the more I reflected on it, the more I really liked it. The way this film ended has been criticized by some, but it made sense to me and seemed logical. I really thought they would cop-out on the ending, but they didn't...great job!

Westfeldt and Juergensen are smart, sexy knockouts, finding just the right mix of fun and tenderness in their writing and performances.
    This movie is about the survival of the open-minded. As far as current American independents go, it's the fastest and the funniest.
  3. While this slightly edgy comedy has moments of offbeat charm, it would carry more conviction if the acting were richer and the characters focused on more sophisticated attitudes and ambitions.