6.4

1. Aug 28, 2010
    As an acting duo, Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise are effortlessly fantastic, they make an elegant eloping couple but it is the storyline that is what lets this film down. The action is non-stop, with a hint of sexual tension here and there, but the action is just your standard bullet-in-chest violence, nothing will really make you think "cor, I bet that hurt". The comedy is tongue in cheek, all the best bits were in the trailers and Cruise's patronising tone just really didn't do it for me. This almost out-law couple film never really gives away why it is called 'Knight and Day' either, despite the use of a small knight figure to hold Miller's secret.

So, I ask myself, are Diaz and Cruise just getting too old for this? Cruise's flash of flesh in the beach scenes could not hide the wrinkles that are starting to appear around Diaz's eyes. When it comes down to what the audience want, it's definitely not older generation actors trying to jump around when they clearly aren't made for the action any more. Not saying they've done their time, but there were plenty of younger actors and actresses that could have made this a sexier and must more aesthetically pleasing film. A bit of a downer on the plot was Diaz being constantly drugged because she couldn't 'cope' in the midst of the action. Alas, it felt like half the action was missing because she was passing out! The audience never saw Miller getting out of a violent situation completely, and just goes to show that Diaz never stopped being the damsel in distress since Shrek.

At times the entire film felt a bit of a joke, almost like a mockery of the whole action genre itself, the way Cruise talked sarcastically in spy terms and the unsuitable soundtrack that meant every gunshot and explosion could be predicted. For a 12A, I expected nothing less, but for Cruise's comeback I expected more. I think James Mangold could have made this film a lot darker, particularly concerning Miller's family who we barely see any of. The plot overall is so simple you won't even need to pay attention half the time. There was far too much CGI and green screen noticeable, it was disappointing because a lot of the stunts on the motorbikes were impressive.

If it was this or A-Team, I would have chosen A-Team. Knight and Day is too easy on the eyes and won't get you thinking like Inception, or even Toy Story 3! Just don't bother unless you really have to.
  2. Oct 7, 2010
    This movie would have been a hit 15 years ago. Diaz is no longer the beautiful innocent looking girl and Cruise has had his best time as well. The special effects are dated and the plot is very thin. Both actors will have to do a lot better if they want to return to the front row of the Hollywood class.
  3. Oct 11, 2010
    After the first five minutes, the movie loses all sense of its own reality and you're trapped in one sequence after the next. The movie never gets the audience involved (there's no suspense) nor is there ever any significant emotional connection with or between the characters. And should you be cheering for Tom Cruise? Cameron Diaz? Both? It just all seems absurd which is sad.
  4. Oct 31, 2010
    A bland, uninspired and unfunny attempt at an action-romcom in the vein of "True Lies". Watchable only if one is extremely bored and in a totally undemanding mood. A waste of almost everything.
  5. Nov 22, 2010
    Knight and Day is a film that follows a spy and a surburban woman through intense comical expeditions throughout the world. Tom Cruise plays the spy (which makes the film interesting already), and Diaz along his side for the ride, in which she seems like she doesn't care what her fellow does except shooting bad guys and "re-enatcing grand theft auto on the I-94" makes the film a complete trainwreck but at the same time, addictive. Director James Mangold makes the film into an ongoing compilation of barely comical scenes with a nice heaping of action to compensate. Bad scenes for 2 hours and 10 minutes, and a dose of Diaz and Tom Cruise makes the film a "No". Go see something else. Expand
  6. Dec 5, 2010
    Just another action flick with a spy and a chick, but what stands out in this is the pair of irresistibly charming Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. Knight and Day was helped by the cast but too formulaic to be better.
  7. May 22, 2011
    A for humorous misunderstandings. B for stunts. C for lame plot. F for Tom Cruise. In the spirit of Much Ado About Nothing and The Man Who Knew Too Little, we have Knight and Day. It's about a girl who gets caught up in this crazy weard investigation. The above mentioned movies were much better, though, and a lot funnier. There were funny parts, it was more like one liners or certain scenes, but as a cohesive movie - meh. Not so much. Too trite. Cool stunts, though.

I like Cameron Diaz. She's cute, funny, and spunky. Not a fan of Tom Cruise. I'm sure he is a nice man, but he's just never been one of my favorites. Bit over the top for me.

Gleenobly's rating: 3/10
  8. Jul 4, 2011
    For me, this is one of those movies that is not good by any means, but I still find generally watchable. Its the kind of movie I will "watch" while doing laundry or making dinner, or if I am just tired and don't feel like using my brain much but want to have something on the TV. Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise play versions of themselves that they've played many times before. They are both nice-looking and show their straight, white teeth a lot. She screams and giggles a lot, he kicks ass and says a bunch of smart ass lines. They both annoy and charm in equal degree, mainly because I am annoyed I am so charmed by these marginally talented, overpaid actors. That being said, they are what makes the film barely work, along with some beautiful scenery and a few mildly thrilling scenes. Its lazy film making at its best, just coasting along and just coherent enough that it will probably become one of my defaults for when I want something on the TV to look at, but not necessarily be invested in. Expand
  9. Aug 24, 2012
    This film has a lot of action and is clearly meant to be 'popcorn flick'. However, even for a 'popcorn flick' it is quite poor. I am a sucker for Cameron Diaz's charming ways and I have to say I enjoyed her character but there were too many ridiculously stupid moments that stopped me from giving any higher than the generous four out of ten. Still, if you have nothing to do, this film won't ruin your evening, it just won't add anything to it either. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2012
    A dreadful experience. There's guns, trains, planes, cars, and explosions and it's all quite boring and flat. I couldn't wait to leave the theater.

1. Laziness permeates the film from the inexplicable escapes to the neglected romance.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    A high-energy, low-impact caper-comedy that labors to bring a measure of wit, romance and glamour to an overworked spy-thriller template.
    Diaz has one of the most winning grins in the movies. Basically, what I wanted was more of it. Some of that Cary Grant dialog. More flirtation. More of a feeling the characters, not the production, were the foreground. More of the stars.