8.9

1. AK7
    Jul 30, 2013
    There aren't many good comedy movies, everybody knows that. Buy sometimes you find a gem, guess what this is a GEM. Kung Fu Hustle is such an unique comedy movie, you won't find this anywhere else. Form the beginning of the movie till the end of the movie I genuinely laughed my @ss off. A comedy with good acting, really funny scenes, a ridiculous plot and martial arts? That is a 10/10 ALLThere aren't many good comedy movies, everybody knows that. Buy sometimes you find a gem, guess what this is a GEM. Kung Fu Hustle is such an unique comedy movie, you won't find this anywhere else. Form the beginning of the movie till the end of the movie I genuinely laughed my @ss off. A comedy with good acting, really funny scenes, a ridiculous plot and martial arts? That is a 10/10 ALL DAY LONG! Expand
  2. TomD.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Great beauty. comedy, and action. What more could you want? Really pretty to watch on blu-ray. Movie has emotion to which is rare.
  3. AzarA.
    Nov 24, 2008
    I gave this movie 10 because it's the best combination of style, humor, action and parody I've EVER seen in a single movie. This is the best of them all.
  4. Dec 23, 2010
    Kung Fu Hustle was an excellent movie. Set out exactly what it meant to do and in a very aesthetic manner. It was absolutely hilarious and one of my favorites.
  5. Jun 11, 2014
    This might be my overall favorite movie of all time, ( although I don't watch much movies). It had everything, comedy, horror, action, and is extremely good in each of those categories. With a epic villain and a entertaining story to boot with a excellent supporting cast to go along with it. The show didn't take itself too seriously, but there were some tense moments and kind of actionThis might be my overall favorite movie of all time, ( although I don't watch much movies). It had everything, comedy, horror, action, and is extremely good in each of those categories. With a epic villain and a entertaining story to boot with a excellent supporting cast to go along with it. The show didn't take itself too seriously, but there were some tense moments and kind of action packed. Very Epic and entertaining movie 10/10. Expand
  6. SophieM
    Dec 24, 2007
    I have to be honest, I REALLY enjoyed this movie! What a great comedy. I don't let reviews sway my opinions on stuff but glad it got a good reception.
  7. JustinR.
    Aug 8, 2008
    This movie was the BOMB!!!!! only move that even came close to this was kung pow but this wins hands down!
  8. RodgerC.
    Aug 21, 2008
    This is a fantasticly fanciful action comedy.
  9. AbdoA.
    Dec 7, 2008
    Absolutely wonderful film. The action was brilliant, the comedy was hilarious, and it had a great story to boot.
  10. jennifer
    Dec 26, 2008
    I actually watched this film by accident and i must say it was one of the best accidents i have ever made. it was so original, funny, sweet, emotional, and unlike any movie i have ever seen. it may seem a bit silly at first but the story is so well done and i went from dieing of laughter to wanting to cry to being in utter shock. i LOVE this movie and if you havent seen it, then watch I actually watched this film by accident and i must say it was one of the best accidents i have ever made. it was so original, funny, sweet, emotional, and unlike any movie i have ever seen. it may seem a bit silly at first but the story is so well done and i went from dieing of laughter to wanting to cry to being in utter shock. i LOVE this movie and if you havent seen it, then watch it....right now, the whole thing. its great! Expand
  11. TinaC
    Apr 29, 2005
    This is entertainment and movie making at it's finest. I laughed, I cried, then I sucked on a rainbow colored loli. This movie caught me by surprise! And I'm a happier person for it.
  12. KarenJ.
    May 2, 2005
    Loved this movie!! Laughed so hard I wanted to turn around and go back and watch it again.
  13. MichaelS.
    May 3, 2005
    Fantastic movie. Laughed until I cried. Even my wife (who despises Kung Fu flicks) left the theater saying what a good movie it was. A definate shocker, and I must see!
  14. KyleC.
    May 5, 2005
    Best movie ever.
  15. MarcD
    May 5, 2005
    The fight scenes are better than anything Hollywood has done since The Matrix in 1999.
  16. PaulF.
    May 10, 2005
    This was the best Kung Fu Movie I've ever seen. The special effects blow away anything any Kung Fu movie has ever seen. It was quite funny and had a subtle spiritual message that I felt was positive. Also it was very enjoyable on a comedy level. Very well done, I highly recommend this film to about anyone. If I were to deduct any points it would be .2 for a slow beginning. It was not This was the best Kung Fu Movie I've ever seen. The special effects blow away anything any Kung Fu movie has ever seen. It was quite funny and had a subtle spiritual message that I felt was positive. Also it was very enjoyable on a comedy level. Very well done, I highly recommend this film to about anyone. If I were to deduct any points it would be .2 for a slow beginning. It was not necessarily slow as it was a little awkward. No, actually it was just strange but in a good way, but by the end of the movie you were totally under it's spell. This movie had Great Shen! Expand
  17. ManuelO.
    May 27, 2005
    The best movie of the year.
  18. Haley
    May 31, 2005
    Excellent. i have never been more pleased after a comedy, a kung fu movie, or a chinese movie separately, than i was with kung fu hustle. i hope it is released nationwide in america; if american audiences can appreciate it, it will do a whole lot for this country.
  19. Juan
    Jun 7, 2005
    I loved it. Funniest movie i've ever seen. I loved the way it all ended up coming together. I just wanted to find out if the land lady and her husband are the heroes parents, but other than that it was great.
  20. NeilL
    Jun 8, 2005
    This is the best film of 2005 so far.
  21. MorganS.
    Jun 12, 2005
    One of the funniest, stylish action movies of the all time.It blew away kill bill v.1 and 2 then put it to shame.one of my favorite movies of all time.
  22. GordM
    Jun 14, 2005
    Great fun! I laughed myself silly. Funnier (in my view) than Shaolin Soccer, but still moving and with the heart that Stephen Chow is known for. Probably not as "good" as some of his other movies, but thoroughly enjoyable summer movie fare.
  23. Isaac
    Jun 21, 2005
    Very entertaining!! Cool action seens... Very funny moments... Completely riddiculous!
  24. DarrenQ.
    Jun 24, 2005
    It's so funny and creative. It redefine Kongfu Hustle. It's amazing!
  25. SusanS.
    Jul 6, 2005
    It was the first time in a while that I left a movie theater feeling refreshed...this movie was absolutely wonderful. People keep trying to put it into a genre, but I don't think that's possible. It's a parody that takes very seriously its subject. It makes fun of kung-fu movies, but not in the way that movies like Scary Movie (which was still funny) send up the horror It was the first time in a while that I left a movie theater feeling refreshed...this movie was absolutely wonderful. People keep trying to put it into a genre, but I don't think that's possible. It's a parody that takes very seriously its subject. It makes fun of kung-fu movies, but not in the way that movies like Scary Movie (which was still funny) send up the horror genre, as it also creates it's own original universe. Perhaps if this movie were done by someone other than Stephen Chow, it would have fallen on its face. But Chow's sense of comedy and cinema make for a fantastic experience. Expand
  26. samural.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Hilarious!!!!!!! 1 Great,great film! No lousy jokes about sex, or something like that Pure and only comedy!!!!
  27. JeffJ.
    Aug 2, 2005
    I adored this movie. Boldly imaginative and wildly entertaining. Just the idea of mixing kung fu, West Side Story, the 3 Stooges and Roadrunner cartoons -- successfully -- earns it major respect.
  28. ChrisC.
    Aug 9, 2005
    This was a very funny stylish martial arts kinda thing, with action and adventure, and a whole lot of comedy. I saw it in theaters, and now today it just came out on DVD and PSP. i am definately getting it on my PSP!
  29. Ellz
    Aug 10, 2005
    This was the funniest movie I've seen in AGES!!! Great story, great Kung Foo, can't wait to be able to buy it on DVD.
  30. VikramM.
    Aug 11, 2005
    I laughed so hard at this movie, my side started to ache with pain. This movie is absolutely hilarious, Stephen Chow is the funniest Asian director today making fun of Bruce Lee movies, The Untouchables, Spider-Man, and the Matrix. The Kung Fu was absolutely incredible and the cinematography was one of the best I've seen. But still the comedy in this movie is kind of dark comedy I laughed so hard at this movie, my side started to ache with pain. This movie is absolutely hilarious, Stephen Chow is the funniest Asian director today making fun of Bruce Lee movies, The Untouchables, Spider-Man, and the Matrix. The Kung Fu was absolutely incredible and the cinematography was one of the best I've seen. But still the comedy in this movie is kind of dark comedy because the comedy in Kung Fu Hustle is slapstick, but it's violent slapstick. One of the best of 2005. Expand
  31. NickH
    Aug 11, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in a good while. Funny, smart, and filled with mind-boggling action - this film has it all. I never thought I'd see the day where a stylistic kung fu epic would envoke memories of Bugs Bunny, but I'll be damned... Steven Chow is fantastic, directing and starring in this film, and I really hope to see what his next big project is. People who One of the best movies I've seen in a good while. Funny, smart, and filled with mind-boggling action - this film has it all. I never thought I'd see the day where a stylistic kung fu epic would envoke memories of Bugs Bunny, but I'll be damned... Steven Chow is fantastic, directing and starring in this film, and I really hope to see what his next big project is. People who whine about it just don't get the fact that it's crazy Asian cinema gold! Or they are too young to understand it, or they're too old to laugh at it, or they are to cynical to enjoy such a film. This movie manages to be a comedy WHILE outperforming overhyped films like Crouching Tiget Hidden Dragon. If you don't like this movie, you don't like cinema. PS - Death = 4/10? What? People die in a comedies all the time. Even if it is cartoony, a 'comic' death should not detract from a good film. Expand
  32. HelL
    Aug 11, 2005
    This movie makes Casablanca look like Bio Dome. This movie is so funny that it will feel like you've been shot in your spleen. Seriously. 987,487,192,903,343 out of 10. Go see it.
  33. frankD
    Aug 15, 2005
    Watched it in Chinese with English subtitles. Outragously funny and imaginative. Watched it again in English with English subtitles. Even funnier compaing the sound to the subtitles. This movie is pure genius.
  34. KyleM.
    Aug 15, 2005
    Real action packed,and it's hilarious!! It deserves a 10.
  35. TanyaV.
    Aug 16, 2005
    Brilliant combination of wonderful elements of humour, drama, romance and action. Fantasticly enjoyable!
  36. Arthur
    Aug 18, 2005
    Flawless on so many levels. Manages to have some of the best fighting ever in a movie while being originally funny. Camera work and editing are also spectacular from a technical standpoint. I have to disagree with the critics that said it did not develop the characters enough or have emotional depth; were we watching the same movie? While I believe that it is a very different sort of Flawless on so many levels. Manages to have some of the best fighting ever in a movie while being originally funny. Camera work and editing are also spectacular from a technical standpoint. I have to disagree with the critics that said it did not develop the characters enough or have emotional depth; were we watching the same movie? While I believe that it is a very different sort of comedy from most American films and is likely not for everyone, those who like it will experience one of the best films to date. Collapse
  37. JasonL.
    Aug 19, 2005
    Awesome!
  38. johnr
    Aug 20, 2005
    Very original film here. Stephen Chow is a brilliant director. I came into this thinking it was going to be the substitute for Kung-Pow 2, but it proved to be an even better film. Sure the story moves onto unwanted grounds towards the end, but the sheer presentation of 30's gangsters invading shanghai towns and getting the crap beat of them by hard working residents just puts it over Very original film here. Stephen Chow is a brilliant director. I came into this thinking it was going to be the substitute for Kung-Pow 2, but it proved to be an even better film. Sure the story moves onto unwanted grounds towards the end, but the sheer presentation of 30's gangsters invading shanghai towns and getting the crap beat of them by hard working residents just puts it over the top. The only thing i wish they would have improved on was the connection between the main character and the people of Pig Sty. Expand
  39. JoAnnS.
    Aug 26, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Very original!
  40. tony
    Aug 28, 2005
    The movie looked cartoony, but the action was so badass, like wow.
  41. MrT
    Sep 9, 2005
    I have seen thousands of movies in my lifetime, this one is in the top 3. Very fun to watch and never wanted it to end. Thank-you Mr Chow.
  42. Normfromga
    Sep 15, 2005
    Most people who I have heard say they hated it (1) saw it in the movies, where it had not been dubbed, so they had to use subtitles, and/or (2) said they had walked out "half way thru," whereas it is towards the end the action really picks up, and the dialogue becomes almost irrelevant. BTW, if you watch the DVD, listen to the English track AND watch the close captioning. The two Most people who I have heard say they hated it (1) saw it in the movies, where it had not been dubbed, so they had to use subtitles, and/or (2) said they had walked out "half way thru," whereas it is towards the end the action really picks up, and the dialogue becomes almost irrelevant. BTW, if you watch the DVD, listen to the English track AND watch the close captioning. The two apparently were translated separately, and sometimes one is better, and funnier, than the other. Expand
  43. AverageGuy
    Sep 18, 2005
    Really funny movie, If you did not like it than you did not understand it.
  44. DennisM.
    Sep 28, 2005
    I thought the movie would really stink after watching the 1st 10 minutes. After that, I was laughing to hard to care. I think it was a great movie along the lines of Monty Python and Mel Brooks. Seriousness can be overstated. Sometimes silliness is just what the doctor ordered.
  45. BhuddhaPalm
    Nov 19, 2005
    Low and negative votes due to moral righteousness is a total non sequitur for a film that does not expect itself to be taken seriously. This film had everything, including one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen in my life. We had to stop the movie so that we could have a moment to die laughing....The action, physical acting, special effects, crazy characters and its fable-like Low and negative votes due to moral righteousness is a total non sequitur for a film that does not expect itself to be taken seriously. This film had everything, including one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen in my life. We had to stop the movie so that we could have a moment to die laughing....The action, physical acting, special effects, crazy characters and its fable-like approach to story telling makes this one of the funnest, and kick-a$$ experience you could ever hope for from a movie. Expand
  46. MikeT.
    Jan 13, 2006
    An amazingly funny movie, a total break from the American-type comedies (most of which are fairly dark and sarcastic nowadays). This is the "Family Guy" of movies, and if it doesn't have you in stitches you really need to check your pulse: you may be dead!
  47. Katherine
    Jan 16, 2006
    This movie is wonderful. Absolutely adorable and funny; I loved it.
  48. Walter
    Apr 26, 2006
    It's fun and if taken lightly, it will grab you and let you in. It's a parody, so just let the ride take you and don't worry too much about deep meanings in this romp. Just enjoy the ride.
  49. Emil
    Feb 13, 2007
    A great comedy if taken lightly. However, I saw this once in theaters and once on DVD. I give a 9 for the theater version. I give a 2 for the DVD version. It seems the subtitles were completely off from what I saw at the theaters, and took a lot away from the humor.
  50. MarkA.
    Apr 27, 2007
    What a breath of fresh air! An amazing movie; very well done. Those who voted 2 or so must have a boring sense of humour. Good funny films are not easy to make (and I'm a filmmaker myself!). Chow manages to pull this one off with sheer brilliance. Those who moan want miracles from movies. There's nothing wrong with this one; it's perfect. I enjoyed this one much more than What a breath of fresh air! An amazing movie; very well done. Those who voted 2 or so must have a boring sense of humour. Good funny films are not easy to make (and I'm a filmmaker myself!). Chow manages to pull this one off with sheer brilliance. Those who moan want miracles from movies. There's nothing wrong with this one; it's perfect. I enjoyed this one much more than the Matrix trilogy. The cigar lighting scene/catching fire was the funniest movie moment ever. What a gem. Thanks Stephen! Expand
  51. EricR.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Hilarious absurdity and comedic timing. Like the Monty Python of Asian films.
  52. Hugh
    Apr 8, 2005
    I came in knowing very little about this movie and was richly rewarded. It's silly fun and amazing visuals strapped around the basic kung-fu movie premise of a nobody who is actually The One.
  53. TonyL.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Kung Fu Hustle is the cartoonish version of the "Kill Bill" movies. Chow is taking a comedic view of the 60 and 70's kung fu genre. Every piece of special kung fu techniques, lion's roar, toad style, & buddah's palm, etc., derives from movies of those era's. The effect is similar to seeing the "one ring" in "Shrek 2." This is a great film!!!
  54. GregoryG.
    Really a great film.
  55. BobB.
    Apr 18, 2005
    Anyone who carps about the lack of "character development" in this movie is a friggin idiot. They're probably just put off by the fact that the film is more interested in being exhilaratingly goofy than in being "cool" or seeming deep. And no one seems to notice that the movie, despite it's delirious silliness, explodes every myth of traditional kung fu movies.
  56. kennyc.
    Apr 19, 2005
    Oh my God. This is the most entertaining and the best movie and the most satisfactory movie I have seen in years. Refreshing, creative and surprisingly funny, touching, monumental and many many more merits you can name.
  57. JoelC.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Best film so far this year!
  58. JohnG.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Anybody who fails to enjoy this movie is either too cynical or too dim-witted to even be worth knowing.
  59. Kuato
    Apr 23, 2005
    Awe inspiring action sequences, refreshingly original characters, its a great movie.
  60. JasonH
    Apr 23, 2005
    I am ready to go see it again! This is the first time in a LONG LONG time that I haven't felt like walking out of a so called comedy. Noone gives you anything original to laugh about these days. That is until Kung Fu Hustle hit the big screen. I admit that I am a Kung Fu junkie drawn to any film with wires and high-flying acrobatics, I even studied Kung Fu myself for years, but you I am ready to go see it again! This is the first time in a LONG LONG time that I haven't felt like walking out of a so called comedy. Noone gives you anything original to laugh about these days. That is until Kung Fu Hustle hit the big screen. I admit that I am a Kung Fu junkie drawn to any film with wires and high-flying acrobatics, I even studied Kung Fu myself for years, but you need not know one stance, kick, or weapon in order to enjoy the big laughs in this film. Finally something original, funny, and smart. Thanks Stephen Chow! Expand
  61. RickyL
    Apr 23, 2005
    I loved it. loved stephen chow movies since i was a little kid ! cant believe hes in america now. how come some of the user reviews look fake. like theyre made by some corp. advertising agency or something...d un dun dun.
  62. Chimp
    Apr 23, 2005
    A REALLY great movie. it was absolutely HILARIOUS, and the fight sequences were extremely cool, every single one. the buddhist palm was really funny and cool. i particularly liked the way the fairy guy fought. this movie is so different, every scene was great. i want to see it again, and i just saw it yesterday!
  63. MikeM.
    Apr 25, 2005
    This movie is pure entertainment. I can count on one hand the number of movies that I have enjoyed as much as KungFu Hustle. It is great to get such a breath of fresh air and see a movie as funny and visualy appealing as this. Go See It!!
  64. BobO
    Apr 26, 2005
    I saw this at the Vail Film Festival earlier this month. I had been dragged into the theater by my 14 y.o. son and was prepared to be moderately bored and was considering a nap after spending 7 exhausting hours on the ski slopes. INSTEAD, the opening scene and camera movement grabbed my attention and held it throughout. It is currently my favorite film seen over the last 6 months. My I saw this at the Vail Film Festival earlier this month. I had been dragged into the theater by my 14 y.o. son and was prepared to be moderately bored and was considering a nap after spending 7 exhausting hours on the ski slopes. INSTEAD, the opening scene and camera movement grabbed my attention and held it throughout. It is currently my favorite film seen over the last 6 months. My favorite film experiences have always been when I've wandered into a theater without any great expectations and been treated a exceptional and orginal movie. Expand
  65. AlexA.
    Apr 26, 2005
    This movie was amazing. Incredibly entertaining. Never a dull moment. It was great

Chow's savagely funny cinematic love letter places Hong Kong legends Yuen Wah, Leung Siu Lung and former Bond girl Yuen Qiu in well-cast pivotal parts, establishing Kung Fu Hustle not only as an endearing homage to a genre's history, but an astonishing piece of cinema in its own right.
  2. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Kung Fu Hustle is something you rarely encounter in theaters: a genuinely original comedy.
  3. Half-amazing, half-ridiculous, thoroughly exhilarating.