8.0

Jan 13, 2002
    Very good indeed.
  2. JeannieE.
    Sep 21, 2003
    We always look forward to seeing a good movie and sometimes leave disappointed. This is one of those rare moments I left with the pleasure of seeing a true classic. A wonderful script, superb cast, excellent cinematography, a movie that uses flashbacks to give the moviegoer a real sense of what frienship is all about. I would urge everyone to see this movie. I recently purchased a DVD for We always look forward to seeing a good movie and sometimes leave disappointed. This is one of those rare moments I left with the pleasure of seeing a true classic. A wonderful script, superb cast, excellent cinematography, a movie that uses flashbacks to give the moviegoer a real sense of what frienship is all about. I would urge everyone to see this movie. I recently purchased a DVD for my collection. Collapse
  3. RichardSearfoss
    Jan 9, 2004
    I missed this film when it was released in theaters. Taking a chance, I just bought this movie on DVD. It is wonderful and quite moving. All the actors are superb and the direction (by Schepisi) is also very good. Highly recomended for mature audiences who are interested in adult stories rather than kiddie fare.
  4. YoonMinC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    Epic kitchen sink British movie, truthful and touching. And, it's wonderful to see such a fine cast of actors unpretentiously giving their best. Yet, cinema this unembellished may seem a bit banal and trite. I mean we know that life is NOT a bowl of cherries. Still, it's a rare movie that has the true texture of life's experiences--the memories, betrayals, the joys, and Epic kitchen sink British movie, truthful and touching. And, it's wonderful to see such a fine cast of actors unpretentiously giving their best. Yet, cinema this unembellished may seem a bit banal and trite. I mean we know that life is NOT a bowl of cherries. Still, it's a rare movie that has the true texture of life's experiences--the memories, betrayals, the joys, and sadness. A melancholy elegy to a generation of friends who lived, loved, drank, remembered together but will all die separately and alone. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2012
    I found this movie based loosely on the book Family Linen. It is a good story remembering their departed friend as they carry out his last wish. During the travel to disperse the ashes, each remember different times with him and his wife/children. In this time there is discovery of flings and unintended regrets. Very heavy in dialog but a good story.

A ho-hum male weepie/road comedy that's worth watching mostly because of a once-in-a-lifetime gathering of England's greatest working-class actors.
    Never quite shrugs off its literary manners. [18 & 25 Feb 2002, p. 200]
  3. It is remarkably, unsentimentally dramatized by Fred Schepisi, courtesy of the pitch-perfect performances of its ensemble British cast.