7.9

1. Mar 3, 2014
    The CGI is obviously amazing but everything else doesn't really match the technology, its structure and the narrative being its main downpoints. The religion aspect just seemed stapled on to give the film deeper meaning but just comes off as being rather pretentious. If it were more coherently explored, it would've lifted the film considerably. Overall, all style and not so much substance.
  2. Feb 1, 2014
    i didn't pay enough attention as to why the family left for canada and there was no need to stick gerard depardieu in the film for the 2 secs he was on the screen, but, other than those two quibbles, loved it. so entranced by the tiger/boy relationship that, by the end of it, i was in tears. of the two "endings", i definitely chose the magical one.
  3. Jan 18, 2014
    A visually breathtaking film with a rich storyline. The film is crafted wonderfully thanks to Ang Lee's impeccable direction. Watching it makes for a great experience.
  4. Jan 7, 2014
    Primeiramente Pi, fabulosamente lindo, o uso do 3D fantástico e funciona como uma parte do filme o resto outra coisa.
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    Well, one of most expected movie of 2012 by me. It was not a colorful visual movie like 'Avatar' which was bluish Or 'Hugo' which was orangish except in few scenes that too come in night shot though IMO you should not compare it with above two. Many part of 3D sequences were just awesome.

It could have been more violent and sentimental story that ever told on this theme but not, the
    director cleverly blended the humor with character emotions very nicely, thats why it was just ratted PG where children are allowed with their parents approval, but it is common for them to see an animal to kill another in Animal Planet, so its not a big deal i think. The CGI animal(s) were looked so clean and good.

I must say the movie don't offer what you expect from its trailer, in movie it was totally different than any movie in the world except Waterworld Cast Away Castle in the Sky Life Of Pi, i am not comparing it to other 3 but saying got similarity in some parts.

I did not like the end much, I mean the way it ended was not proper, I thought it still had something to go far away then realized it happen only in commercial movies.

My question is can this movie do good business which got no big names and cast!? Indian cast, Taiwan's talent, American product and a great effort of various technicians from around the world is equal to LIFE OF PI in Pacific ocean over 227 days. Hoping it gonna grab couple of awards in Academy award. Worth watching it in 3D, Someday in future you can say that i was in there when it came out when it called epic like what we call some of classical movies today.

You could see better and beautiful India in beginning few Minutes than any Hollywood movie which deal on Indian subject. people from in and around Pondicherry can feel proud, why not whole Indians can. The images from the movie will remain in our eyes for some time even after you left the cinema hall specially may be you won't forget the name Richard Parker.

And now i go for 9 outa 10 saying must see specially we Indian coz we cant make movie like this at least for right now in our own but we can watch this western piece of Indian art carved Ang Lee.

There is a chance it gonna replace 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' as his (Ang Lee's) best, i said may be so lets see. Might be i am little excited for seeing it in preview show lets see what happens later days and what others say.

9½/10
  6. Dec 20, 2013
    this is gotta be one of the best movies i have ever seen in terms of visual effect, from the start to finish on every frame the director keeps shocking you with this stunning CGI, and the story is really good actually.
    the narrator part wasn't to my liking but it didn't bother me, also the guy who plays the writer character in the movie Rafe Spall have poor acting skills, but he's
    secondary character in the movie.
    but after all the movie is amazing experience in term of visuals.
  7. Dec 17, 2013
    The directing of this movie is amazing. The visuals and the scenes are so realistic. Amazing Ang Lee! So many complications and especially the climax!
  8. Dec 14, 2013
    When this film finished, I cried for about next 20 minutes after the credits rolled. Who knew a CGI tiger could break your heart into a million pieces?! Life of Pi is quite simply stunning film-making, packed with jaw dropping performances and an abundance of meaning.
  9. Dec 13, 2013
    Life of Pi is a wonderfully delivered adaptation of Yann Martel's novel, enriched with gorgeous visuals, strong performances and an emotionally moving story.
  10. Dec 8, 2013
    This movie was boring. There is no other way to put it. And where we're the religious undertones people are talking about? I must have fallen asleep.This is a movie I leave on my tv so I can fall asleep. Maybe you had to see it in the theater because at home at night you will nod off. This movie was done before and it was called castaway with Tom Hanks.
  11. Dec 6, 2013
    I know I've given a bunch of crap about director Ang Lee, but while this review means jack-sh*t about the director's talent (cough, cough), in a sense, "Life of Pi" is his best movie. It's the only one of his movies I've ever found somewhat tolerable. Here are some Pros: The score is really good. You really dig deep into the character of Pi; both through his human self and through the tiger "Richard Parker". I found it interesting at one point in the movie how certain characters can relate to the animals through seen in the movie and how it really affects your take on which story do you believe. Now for the Cons: The movie is really slow. It can really put someone to sleep. The first third of the movie is really uninteresting and lacks that quality of going through the life of a character. The story being set around an Indian really makes the movie feel pretentious, mostly relating to his multiple belief system. That really threw me off. And finally the visuals were not that good in my opinion. I didn't feel like I was being taken on an epic 3-D adventure like "Avatar" or "Gravity". I just wasn't convinced that I was on an epic adventure. Overall, the 2nd half really weighs over the first half (in its slow way). Honestly, this movie is about a 5.5, so I give it a C+. Expand
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, tuvo mucho drama y mucha aventura."Life of Pi" tiene un argumento fantastico y un guion maravilloso.De esta pelicula lo que mas me encanto fueron los personajes y su argumento. Me gusto la actuacion de Suraj Sharma.
  13. Sep 23, 2013
    Pi tries to explain his name early on as a child, deciding full name given my his parents was more of a hindrance than anything else, these early moments outline a normal child in a normal situation, but this miraculous film finds its stride as Pi and his family must take sail from India to Canada to set up their failing zoo, this alone sets up a decent tone for the film but natural causes come about when a massive storm throws everything into chaos as Pi ends up stranded on a lifeboat with an unforgiving tiger. The film opens in a colourful fashion with bright things and wonderful visuals, a film this good-looking hasn't been around since Avatar and these visuals are truly masterful, there is nothing quite like the spectacle when Pi, played for most of the film by Suraj Sharma, is attempting to survive on sea, witnessing many creatures of the deep while also keeping an eye on his fellow survivor, but survive being the most important part, the sea can be harsh, but a tiger whose only wish is to eat you can be so much deadlier. Director Ang Lee tells a lifelong story as an older Pi (Irrfan Khan) depicts his adventures, he does this in such poetic and beautiful fashion, showing an uneasy but necessary partnership between man and animal but still showing that animals can truly be unforgiving. Much of the film is Pi's attempt to train the tiger, named Richard Parker, their co-existence proving vital as the film unfolds. The film takes much of its spectacle from a study of faith, as we learn that Pi is intrigued by the various forms that a spiritual being may take, he often speaks to God, and also accepts that his life may soon be coming to an end. Miraculous occurrences and anomalies could suggest he may indeed be playing a part, some of the scenes where Pi shouts to the sky are quite breathtaking.
    The winning formula of the film not only comes from the spectacular fantasy of the visuals, but from a very touching, tragic and a moving piece of colourful mastery that combines two unlikely companions while also dealing with many lifelong issues that Pi faces in a short space of time, he must overcome these insecurities if he wants to survive. It's quite a dream and quite an adventure, with an ending that questions what exactly is true and what isn't, it's left up to the viewer, pave it out for yourself, a magnificent achievement and a landmark in storytelling and visuals. Not only one of the best looking films of the last few years, but a story that couldn't be told better or in a more colourful fashion.
  14. Sep 15, 2013
    I only have one problem with this movie.I just wish they would allow the movie to tell the story instead of a person in it.The start of this movie was kind of annoying for this very reason, but I`m glad I watched it, cause it starts to get really fun once he gets on the Ship.The effects are great, the story is great, and has a good message.
  15. Sep 11, 2013
    I liked this movie alot. I really enjoyed the acting and all the characters. The setting is depressing at times, but the overall meaning and symbolism is amazing. I recommend this movie.
  16. Sep 8, 2013
    An extremely impressive film on many levels. Life of Pi isn't perfect, but it's still a must see movie experience. First off, this is one of the most visually impressive films ever made, with beautiful, colorful seascapes, and visual effects right up there with Avatar. It has moments of true amazement and cinematic brilliance amidst a well told story and a solid central performance. The score is also extremely good, and creates just the right mood of wonderment mixed with sorrow. The movie is somewhat uneven however. It feels at times like it plays things too safe. There definitely could have been some more out there moments during the sea voyage, and the scenes taking place back on land, while decent, seem somewhat dull. I also didn't like how the film endorses mixing religions together, and the fact that the story is being told in retrospect by an older Pi doesn't work very smoothly. These nitpickings aside, I still really enjoyed this memorable and at times very moving movie. I'd even recommend buying it. Expand
  17. Aug 18, 2013
    "Life of Pi" is moving, deep, and a marvelous look at faith and spirituality. It brings back fond memories of stories like "Swiss Family Robinson". It's just a joy to behold. It constantly kept me on my toes with tense stand-off moments where I didn't know what would happen next, and the way it kept me engaged in it even during its slower moments is truly impressive even if it did have somewhat of a slow start. Truly "Life of Pi" is a must see experience that will stick with you long after its conclusion. Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    Loved it from the start to the end. I recommend it to every one!

What I really like about the movie is the original story and the character development. After the movie you keep on thinking about it, what I really like. It's based upon a book, which I read (after I saw the movie). The movie is well based on the book, although (like in all the movies based upon books) they don't put the
    'details' into it. Which seems to very hard to really put all the 'details' in it.

Watch it!
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    I see a lot of reviews attacking the movie on the assumption that the writers are trying to make you believe in god. The symbolism of the movie is obviously lost on such viewers. I'm not very religious or spiritual, but I still found this movie to be incredibly compelling on a introspective level. Even if you don't care about spirituality (or lack of), the movie still invokes strong emotions from displaying the triumph of the human spirit. A very powerful movie indeed. Expand
  20. Jul 30, 2013
    It is a GREeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAT Movie
    one of the best of 2012
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    Boring, hippy dribble. Nice effects though. As far as hippy movies go, Avatar was at least entertaining. This movie I struggled to stay awake with. Skip it.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    A great movie with some beautiful scenery. It starts off very slowly but once the story really gets going things get interesting. The story is told by an older Pi about his past which breaks up the story and slows down the action, it could have been better with out that.
  23. Jul 20, 2013
    I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you. Expand
  24. Jun 28, 2013
    Life of Pi is a rather odd movie. At times, I was completely wrapped up in this beautiful ocean, and at other times the movie just suspended my disbelief way to much. There's no way a whale just happened to hit a small boat in the ocean. Nope.
    The movie looks amazing, though. And the ending is very well done too.
  25. May 28, 2013
    Master Director Ang Lee and Cinematographer Claudio Miranda deliver the most visually-stunning, beautiful film since...Never. Never has there been such a beautiful, fantastically written picture that draws both the eyes and the heart of its audience. While some compare this film to James Cameron's Avatar, I completely disagree. Life of Pi excels in the one area where Avatar was lacking: It has a plot. Another clear difference is Pi's sheer beauty. The fact that Life of Pi's visuals are more believable than Avatars' in addition to its lack of bloody war scenes, clearly makes it the most gorgeous picture ever made. Expand
  26. May 21, 2013
    I delayed watching this film for a long time, thinking it wouldn't live up to its hype. Stories set at sea seldom interest me. Although the film takes no time taking us to the sea, the buildup to it was done pretty good. I even forgot we would be taken there momentarily. Life of Pi is about life, faith, and holding onto your beliefs in the face of hardships and tragedy. The allegories were amazing. You have to watch the film to know what I mean. But I found the climax a bit lackluster. I think its unforgivable especially for the visual medium to ignore the 'Show don't tell' principle. The impact could have been many times greater. Expand
  27. May 5, 2013
    First I taught the movie was very stupid because off the trailer, but it isn't a stupid movie, this movie is actually one of the best movie's of 2012. Life of Pi is a well made movie from one of the biggest directors of all time: Ang Lee. Ang Lee created an excellent work for young and old. The writer did an excellent work to. Really the best family film of 2012, I am sure about that.
  28. May 3, 2013
    Life of Pi is an amazing peace of visual and dialogue storytelling, cinematography, acting, and directing. Life of Pi is one of the most memorable films of 2012, and one of the most fun. Ang lee does a fantastic job directing on a visual and dramatic scale, I find this one of his best films he has made. Suraj Sharma doses a great job as Pi and really carries the film as the leading actor and does a amazing job with showing real emotion with his character. The one drawback with the fill is that most of this happens on a bout at times the setting can drag on but I was always entertained with the visuals and the tension between the animals and Pi. Over all this is a wonderful film!!! Expand
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    Pretentious and forcefull attempt to make you belive in god.
    Zero plot qualities, still, great visuals and awesome work with the tiger, not worth it.
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC MOVIE! This is with TDKR, my favorite film of all time. Ang Lee, THANK YOU so much for this film, i will never forget it
  31. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm stuck in the middle when it comes to this movie. It is a cleverly written film using animals as a metaphor for people who experience an awful adventure. It is also boring at times because the film uses great visuals to excuse the slow pace.

I really wanted to love this film. However the story though, whilst interesting, is not anywhere near as amazing as it might make you believe. Also, it all came to an abrupt end once the adventure finished; I thought why spend so much time slowly telling a tale just to end it quickly once it's told !?

I did like how this film let's you the viewer choose which story to believe. That is the greatest aspect.

If you are unsure whether to see it I'd say yes. But don't expect it to be life defining and give you a new perspective on anything.
  32. Apr 20, 2013
    Watching paint dry is more exciting than this. I cannot understand the amazing reviews, thought it was utter rubbish. The visuals and sounds were very good, but the story was extremely dull and lifeless it often induces deep sleep. The story generally had no meaning and drained of all life it fell asleep 10 mins in and didn't remember the ending or of anything that happened. I wanted to stop sooner i bored out of my mind. The 2 stats came from the visuals and sounds, not the movie Expand
  33. Apr 13, 2013
    how did argo win best picture instead of this? Life of Pi is waaaaay better. Featuring beautiful effects, character relationships you can care about, and an amazing survival story, I feel that you cannot go wrong with this film.
  34. Apr 11, 2013
    This is everything I want in a film. The story, visual effects, acting, and music were all incredible, combining to keep me interested and alert from beginning to end. There was suspense and consistent, subtle foreshadowing. It was unique, portraying other cultures and putting the protagonist in situations I have never thought about before (and making the protagonist respond believably to those situations). The protagonist was designed to be distinctly different from everyone watching the movie, yet simultaneously relatable on many levels. On top of all that, Life of Pi made the viewer ponder deeply personal questions after the credits rolled. Expand
  35. Apr 9, 2013
    Boring, stupid, more boring. I can't believe this movie was even made. Ang Lee needs to stop making films, he's a terrible director.
  36. Apr 1, 2013
    Terrific movie. Those who don't like it is because they don't understand it. Take a course in Buddhist philosophy. The movie is filled with spiritual depth. Your worst and best friend are one and the same.. the human mind.
  37. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I fell asleep twice, boring and bad story. I have to ask someone what's the good in this movie? This movie is absolutely has no quality. I like the CGI effects actually... But the rest, absolutely terrible. Expand
  38. Mar 30, 2013
    If you can get past the over-long prologue, this movie is thought provoking, emotional, funny, and filled with some of the best special effects out there. Great movie.
  39. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie starts out slow, there is no doubt about that...and the beginning is rather muddled with some medium to poor script choices. But once the movie gets going, this build up makes you genuinely care for the character of Pi as you hear his incredible story. The acting and visual effects were fantastic, and the movie is just bigger than life. This movie is a once in a lifetime movie, it's so good any faults it has become irrelevant by the end. Expand
  40. Mar 26, 2013
    Life of Pi was beautifully directed and certainly provided great visual entertainment. However the book was far more brutal and more impact-full than the movie I'm not sure why the studio chose to water down the content. I suppose just to keep it out of the rated "R" category but for me it took a lot away from the entire narrative to do so.
  41. Mar 24, 2013
    A wonderful coming of age story of a young boy who is lost at sea with nothing but a dangerous tiger to keep him company. Special effects are exceptional, the acting was great. Life of Pi was not as magnificent as it was away from the 3D big screen.
  42. Mar 23, 2013
    There was a time before this movie where i thought my greatest fear was falling off of a building; as it turns out i am more afraid of being in the middle of the ocean with a tiger. This movie was intense and i left it stressed out. Yes it was good but i'll never see it again.
  43. Mar 17, 2013
    Although I was a bit too young when I read "Life of Pi" to grasp the deeper meanings Yann Martel was conveying in his story, I was certainly fascinated by a fantastical narrative so well-crafted that it was hard to believe it was fiction. Ang Lee's visionary adaptation is equally engrossing, sporting fun acting, narration and some unbelievable special effects. The tiger is honestly the single best CGI animal I've ever seen in film. And just like the book, it communicates very effectively (if not sometimes a little bit too plainly) the provocative questions of belief and religion Yann Martel imbued into the narrative. And although religious messages like this can often turn me off, despite my belief in God, the fact Martel's book gives this message under the clever guise of storytelling and asking who will accept a fantastical tale over a more believable one is one, as a writer, I can always appreciate. Expand
  44. Mar 16, 2013
    Hating myself for not checking this out in theaters. Purchased it on Blu-Ray today and I must say, It's the best looking film I have ever watched on Blu-ray. Literally watched the entire movie with my mouth open in complete awe. It's an emotional roller coaster ride. Easily one of the best films of 2012.
  45. Mar 16, 2013
    Visually stunning, Ang Lee creates a world that allows for amazement and thought provoking entertainment. Their are times during the film that are a bit slow, but overall Life of Pi is enjoyable.
  46. Mar 14, 2013
    There's nothing like a good story and if Life of Pi absolutely has a good story. What it also has is top level effects work and some of the best 3D I have seen. The small problems it does have are in pacing, specifically when we switch back to the present day. Rafe Spall seems to be the problem here, his accent is all over the place and you can't wait to switch back to the fantastic story that is being told. Expand
  47. Mar 11, 2013
    I cannot overpower my very own purist’s paranoia, I watched this film in theater a few days earlier in dubbed Italian (my Italian level is so-so), I could not reckon that any film has been officially “viewed” until I have watched it in its original form, so thanks to the latest BluRay copy, finally I am able to hail LIFE OF PI as my current favorite film of 2012! Although the film literally is the biggest Oscar winner this year (4 wins out of 11 nominations) and Ang Lee now is up among the pre-eminent echelon of a multi-times BEST DIRECTOR winner, the unfulfilled appreciation (from the prim Academy) still seethes inside, the BEST PICTURE/BEST DIRECTOR division has stuck Ang Lee and his teams twice is unprecedentedly jaundiced. Back to the film itself, I am pretty oblivious to Yann Martel’s source novel, but Ang Lee and his crew has deserved every single accolade because the outcome is simply astounding and mind-blowing, from the exotic Indian zoo, the palette of liveliness and quietude seeps directly to viewer’s mind curves, then, the visual stunts take over, the minutiae are constructed into an inconceivable kaleidoscope of sea survival (ship-wrecking, heaven-like sea surface, carnivore island).

The allegorical storyline which can be laconically recapitulated as “the story between a boy and a Bengal tiger floating on the sea”, also goes beyond one’s mundane imagination, the liaison between Pi and Richard Parker the tiger has gone through a minute incubation-to-transition cliffhanger (technically it is not a cliffhanger since we all know the ending beforehand, but the two-hander just conjures magic spell upon us, which is mesmerizing, eye-popping and heart-warming), with the brilliant first-time actor Suraj Sharma interacting viscerally with the green screen (an almost entirely CGI-germinated tiger heralds the auspicious retirement of all the animal cast, as long as money continues investing, leave those poor animals in peace and so are the ever-engaging animal activist). Both Suraj and Irrfan Khan (the adult Pi) deserve more recognition from their meticulous and soul-searching performances. Being an agnostic, Pi’s eclectic belief in all disparate religions doesn’t register enough contention to me, and also it is claimed to be “a story could make one believe in God”, the film is marvelous in keeping its ambivalence so determined that either of the interpretation could find its recipients piously and without arousing any palpable repulsion even we all know how parochial people could react as far as “religions”is concerned. The film is a flawless eye-candy and soul-remedy, multiple viewings are highly-recommended, it is a conscientious masterstroke to corroborate Ang Lee’s versatility in mastering his universe of filmmaking (no genre boundary at all), commixed his oriental philosophy with western first-class craftsmanship and esprit de corps, Ang Lee can swagger further on the path of a true auteur, not only among his peers, even for a holistic view in the film history, his trail can be indelible.
  48. Mar 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I went to watch this movie, of course in 3D in the big screen, I just knew it was gonna be brilliant. And it was. In fact is the first time I can tell the 3D effect accomplishes what 3D effects are meant to accomplish: To involve you even more in the movie... I've read out there in Metacritic a guy saying ''you don't watch this movie, you just live it'' and that's what I felt exactly. In many cases, like the storms, the whale and many others I felt so involved in the movie I could almost touch things! The storm was perfect, one of the best storms put in film. So... effects in this movie are just PERFECT. Period. It really worths the 3D. Acting is also very pleasant and nice. The 3 actors playing the role of Pi are amazing. They've got the essence of the character perfectly. Sometimes I even forgot I was watching 3 different performances. The side characters, while not as important as Pi... are so nice and likable too. Really got involved with the family, very realistic. The romance with the girl was subtle but really nice. In this case I can add Ang Lee really knows how to tell the story... I mean, it was a book before, so Ill give credit to the actual writer. But talking about the movie... they never stay so much in the things they're not the focus. The focus is the Life Of Pi, which I can tell, I just loved how resumed is the title, it tell everything in the movie without saying anything at all. That's what a good title should tell by start. The art, again, outstanding. They really deserve that cinematography Oscar. Scenes are unbelievable, you can see they decisions they made in every single case... they were in everything. Talking about the bas stuff, just a little, maybe the CGI was obvious in some cases... you could tell whenever the Tiger was real or CGI. But it was subtle, I guess it's OK anyway. The music was really delightful, what disappointed me a bit is the lack of personality in this... I mean i remember is kinda ''epic-Indian music'' I remember the flutes... but nothing more. Don't get me wrong, is really nice to hear and follows perfectly the story, but is not memorable. You can hear this kind of themes in a lot of Indian based stories... when I knew they won an Oscar for the soundtrack... I though I would here something really memorable, like that melodies that stick hard to your mind. But it was good anyway. A really amazing tale, epic some times, lovely. It reminds me a lot of the Big Fish. It doesn't matter the story, at the end you decide what to believe. And believe me and go to check this one out! In 3D if possible! Expand
  49. Mar 10, 2013
    Beautiful movie! Intelligent, funny, philosophical, visually beautiful beyond!! I had to ask at the end if the animals were real or not. Brought the book to life, loved it!
  50. Mar 8, 2013
    I like CGI effects. But this whole movie is just one special effect. Now theres nothing wrong with a movie having special effects IF you dont notice them. In "Life of Pi" the special effects are noticable everywhere!
    Also, the story was ruined by the main character telling the story. Making all the suspence if he was going to survive or not. Obviously if he is telling the story, he lived
    to tell about it. and can make up anything he wants to. Bad story, bad special effects, no suspence. and boring one bad movie Expand
  51. Mar 2, 2013
    everything work in this movie ang lee truly achieved the impossible by bringing the story to life such an emotional story flawless writing, amazing cinematography and a magnificent score i really enjoyed it
  52. Mar 1, 2013
    I passed on the movie for several week but relented when I saw it was popular at the Academy Awards. I should have gone with my initial instincts. The movie is mindless and a lot of glitter. Just about everything that is seen is computer generated and the story is a poor fabrication of gibberish. If it wasn't for the popcorn, the afternoon would have been a total waste of time.
  53. Feb 26, 2013
    Super, one of the best film i have ever seen. The story has a lot moment, the movies show that animal has feeling too. But i had read the book, the movies has missiong some imprtant part. But the movies is still good
  54. Feb 22, 2013
    A beautiful film! Fueled by some amazing and dazzling visual effects, Life of Pi is a fantastical story of survival, but there's so much more to it. On the surface it's a survival story, but it's also a poignant tale about finding oneself. As the film draws to its close, you think you have a grasp on the message, but then the ending concludes and you realize there's a little bit more to think about. Ang Lee really did a great job here; he takes you on this marvelous journey (in 3D), but subtly and effectively leaves the ending just open enough for interpretation. Suraj is really good as Pi, especially considering this is his film debut; Irfan Khan and Rafe Spall are also effective in their supporting roles. There are some "okay" moments here and there in terms of cgi, but overall the effects are stunning. Life of Pi is probably one the most beautiful film you'll see from 2012, I recommend it. Expand
  55. Feb 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't decide between a 7 and an 8, so I gave it a 7.5. Things that were excellent: visuals, A+, Back story, A-. Things that made this review lower- the amount of things that actually happen ,the boat gets a bunch of water in it, then they are on a life boat, they go to an island, then they go home, the tiger leaves him, end of story. Deceptive introduction, the beginning seems like a lot of random zoo animals aimlessly scattered across the screen, putting up random close ups of each of the animals. Expand
  56. Feb 16, 2013
    One of the few adapted novels which actually rivals the book; in fact I enjoyed it more than the book. This is a truly spectacular film in the real sense of the word. It is breathtaking to watch, especially in 3D and on the big screen. It was rich in colour and beautiful in composition. The main character is compelling and the story flows along in an engaging fashion which allows you to almost taste his oncoming madness, his frustration and even boredom, without feeling them yourself. The film stays reasonably true to the novel, but omits some things and adds others. The result is, however, a beautiful work of art that left me, at least, feeling overwhelmed in the best possible way. Expand
  57. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With his latest movie, "Life of Pi", Ang Lee further establishes himself as one of the greatest contemporary movie directors. Starting from his Taiwanese beginnings, and his highly enjoyable, family-harmonizing "Father Knows Best" trilogy (1992-1994). Just finished watching the Midnight Premiere. Did not disappoint one bit. The Acting is incredibly believable, and the ending ties it all together. The story sorta drags in the beginning, but Ang Lee did a good job keeping my attention to the film. The Animation is incredibly realistic. I couldn't tell the difference between what was real and what wasn't
    Few movies will leave a lasting impression on you..Life of Pi is one of those. Not even a single moment is dull, in fact the story is woven so tightly that you never realize that the script is so simple. It is beautifully directed and kudos to Ang Lee, not only was he able to capture the beauty of India, he was also able to get the best of the actors. Though it does not rank too high on 3D, its just visually mesmerizing. My trust and faith in Ang Lee has gone up to the highest level after watching this movie..Luckily I was able to catch the premiere show and will continue to relish the after effects of the movie for the next few days!
  58. Feb 16, 2013
    Engaging and visually stupendous adaptation of the 'unfilmable' novel, The Life of Pi is a welcome return for Ang Lee. One of the more striking part of the picture is actually its visual effects, bring the tiger to life through CGI as well as its incredible, sea bound visuals. While its pacing can be slow at times, as typical in Lee's films, its strengths clearly outweight its weaknesses. One of the year's best film. Expand
  59. Feb 16, 2013
    There is no fault for the Life of Pi, as it is truly incredible and impressive. It shows off amazing special effects best seen in 3D. I was so close to crying by the end of the film, it's moving as well as action packed. I love how this film has a great moral/message to it, as it lets you think over the film after it's finished. It's an emotional and exciting movie ready to be seen by anyone who has the urge to watch it. Life of Pi portrays an epic adventure in film pretty much perfectly. So I give this film... 9.8/10! Expand
  60. Feb 11, 2013
    Life of Pi is a pleasant family friendly commercial cinema and nothing more. As a 3D film, Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" is a far more accomplished visual experience
  61. Feb 8, 2013
    'Life of Pi' is a visual miracle, it may have a slow beginning and end, but the scenes with our lead 'Pi' on a boat with 'Richard Parker' the tiger are some of the most beautiful scenes in cinema history, its hard to describe how you will feel watching it, but a word of warning, watch in 3D, you will (simply putting it) be blown away. Wonderful direction and stupendous effects. Life of Pi has its flaws, but it really is a must see. Expand
  62. Feb 6, 2013
    I initially did not want to see this film as I thought I would be bored. However, I went and caught the 3D edition and thought it was one of the best films of the year. The cinematograhpy alone is worth the price of admission. The 3D enhances instead of detracting as it often does. I thought it got a little long at sea but that was a minor issue compared to the excellent philosophical questions raised and the brilliant film making. I would not put it in my top five but it definitely makes mytop ten. One of the big surprises for me in 2012. Expand
  63. Feb 6, 2013
    I had no idea what to expect from Life of Pi, having not read the book nor read much on it. I knew it involved a boy on a boat with a Tiger and that was about it (oh yeah, and Ang lee was directing). So maybe because of this, it came across as a quite lovely surprise. Engaging throughout and with a wonderful feeling of whimsy, despite the reveal at the end (some might say an unnecessary addition but I thought it grounded the film). Life of Pi is beautiful to look at. I didnt go for the 3D version (I dislike 3D as a rule) but this looks like it might have worked well with the specs on. Lush environments are mixed with some amazing animal effects. I've been told that the animals are pretty much all cgi, if so its the best I've seen. This film wont appeal to everyone of course the story is a bit too fantastical at times and if you dont buy into the 2 main characters then the middle of the film consists of very little happening, but I was pretty happy coming out of this. Worth a few hours of your time. Expand
  64. Feb 3, 2013
    a movie that any person above the age 6 should see cause it pretty much has the meaning of life in it. i recommend it to everyone to go see in Imax not no regular theater
  65. Feb 2, 2013
    I think that this movie should be rated PG-13, why? Because elements of religion, the movie gets darker through watching and getting into complex, the pacing was weak, I waited 35 minutes, for the ship to sank, and there are some really boring parts that might put you to sleep, but visually it is really magical, it shows the magic of nature, the wonder of life, the powers and tests of God upon all humans, every human will get a test to survive and learn from life that everything is not a piece of cake, the message of the movie, the visuals of movie, the soundtrack, the acting, everything is Oscar-Worthy and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, for people over 11, it is only that some parts are boring but 98% of the movie is intense amazing and MAGICAL. Expand
  66. Jan 28, 2013
    I went into this movie without knowing anything about it, one word sums it up: beautiful. The story was very good and just the right amount of heartwarming, the acting was also good. But the real star of the show here was the effects, which were completely out of this world, very vibrant colours really brightening the screen and brought to life in breathtaking 3D, which is the only way to watch this film and truly appreciate it. The soundtrack is forgetful, but the story and visuals are most definitely not. It was hard to watch at times, funny and sad, I really feel strongly for Richard Parker, perhaps the star of the show. Amazing, 90/100. Expand
  67. Jan 27, 2013
    Found this film dull and pretentious. Tries to be way to clever. Also kept laughing when I shouldn't. Richard Parker! We are dyiiiiing, boooo hooo Richard Parker, please don't eat me!' Oh just eat him will you. Let me see him being torn limb from limb in 3D, pleeeeease
  68. Jan 26, 2013
    i loved this movie, when you get out and you are in shock ,well that doesn't happen that much, i saw it in 3D it was well worth it, i highly recommed it and well a definite must see.
  69. Jan 26, 2013
    One of the most gorgeous and imaginative films I have seen in a long time. It should get the Academy Award for best director for Ang Lee for the remarkable job he did with a very challenging subject. I liked just about everything about this film except the message, but, hey, you can't have everything.
  70. Jan 24, 2013
    Life of Pi is a visually stunning film with a beautiful story about an unlikely partnership between a boy and a tiger. Ang Lee directed this gorgeous film, and as soon as I discovered he was making this film I knew this was going to be a winner. Lee has always been able to make emotional and innocent films; for example films like Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon have been a huge influence in cinema and have shown me what a great director he is. This new film has shown that he is able to go places he has never gone before as a filmmaker, and it really is a movie that makes you look at life in a completely different way. This movie has themes that stretch from the belief in a higher power, survival when there seems to be no hope, and how our challenges in life will test us. This movie has some brilliant character development; as we almost instantly love Pi and we see how this great experience changes him. Lee gets the audience to quickly relate to Pi and feels sympathy for him at even the worst times. Pi is that kind of protagonist that an audience can relate to and really enjoy, and he is one of the main reasons that this movie works so well. His bond with Richard Parker (which is the name of the tiger) is truly a beautiful thing and shows how without each other, neither of them would've survived. Lee really makes us feel like we are stranded in the ocean with them, and it makes us feel the same dangers that Pi feels. Ang Lee could've take the novel written by Yann Martel and made it a huge mess, but luckily thanks to his talents as a director he was able to make an emotionally satisfying and beautiful movie. This is that kind of film that really makes you think about what kind of challenges our life has gone through, and how they will shape the rest of our life. This movie is a great experience, and really is one of those movies that could change your life. Expand
  71. Jan 24, 2013
    Undeniably almost flawless, Life of Pi (2012) is a melting pot of entertainment formula. This film is the one to beat in cinematography and visual effects. Excellently created, magically translated for the silver screen, thought-provoking.

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  72. Jan 22, 2013
    Storyline: Pi Patel (Suraj Sharma) is a young Indian boy living in his fathers zoo. He has a great imagination and is always seeking out new meanings he thinks will give him the ultimate truth in religion but his father has financial problems so the board a ship with the animals and head for Canada but the ship hits heavy weather and an adventure begins.

Acting: This film had no weak
    points but if there was one thing where it could have been improved on was with the cast but perhaps it's not a valid fault as there was a certain charm that went with the role of Pi as played by Suraj Sharma. OK I just looked and see it's his first acting role so..... Anyway, this also had Irrfan Khan who was also not bad but I have seen much better from him. The rest of the main cast were CG animals and they were astounding.

Direction: Ang Lee did well and his film deserves all 11 nods from the Acadamy. Where this film betters Avatar is that it deals with our own planet and is all there in the real world to compare this with. His creation was as perfect as can be with our current technology (I do 3D CG) today.

Production: $120 million for this visual delight sounds about right. I could see where the money was spent and to me thats what counts. I don't know where reality and CG are mixed and that's so important. The tiger was stunning it was so good. It's the best lifelike animal I've ever seen and hope others will strive for this type of detail in future. The make-up was also awesome and again was realistic.

Conclusion: While this is a great story that transferred well to the screen it could have been even better. Like if you were to read the script for this and Castaway this would win but Castaway was told a bit better, know what I mean? Because of the cinematography and sound on this film it is almost perfect. Highly Recommended Score: 8.5/10
  73. Jan 20, 2013
    I hardly believe any book is un-filmable; yes, some are harder to adapt than others, but with the right vision it is possible to adapt any book to the big screen. Ang Lee
  74. Jan 20, 2013
    Life of Pi is first and foremost a visual representation of the imagination. Lee lets (most of) the story to unravel steadily and calmly, allowing the viewer to interact with the film as they would with a painting.
  75. Jan 18, 2013
    The plot kept me engage and the visual effects lived up to the hype. Was puzzled why many people told me the it was too long. Luckily that didn't stop me from going. Then again I was a fan of Slumdog Millionaire, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Bottom line, loved it.
  76. Jan 18, 2013
    The "Indian" accents are ridiculous. They make Apu of the Simpsons sound natural. The name of the leading character "Pi" is stupid. A Patel living in Pondicherry? Please.

The underlying themes of religion and spirituality made me want to throw things at the screen; but I just threw myself out of the movie. Awful. Worse than Avatar.
  77. Jan 17, 2013
    Life of Pi is marvelous to look and has some of the best visuals in a long time. The problem is the middle of the movie. It becomes repetitive and monotonous which makes the entire movie sag.
  78. Jan 17, 2013
    This is an extremely entertaining film. Some strange themes are explored but it's all encapsulated with the most wonderful visuals. Some of the artsy scenes are beyond phenomenal - you might even forget some of the storyline just because of the overwhelmingly beautiful art and CGI. Don't be put off by the trailer -- this is a film you should not miss.
  79. Jan 16, 2013
    The film is coherent, visually stunning and carries Martel's plot line well. Unfortunately, it's too sterile, too squeaky clean, too perfect to be truly lovable.
  80. Jan 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film; the cinematography is exquisite, with the score by Mychael Danna only adding to the ethereal and dream-like quality that this entire film evokes. This film is designed to give the audience more food for thought than a definitive ending as regards the film's integral aspect of religion. If you want a film for casual entertainment then this is not the film for you. It is engaging, both visually and in terms of the plot, with a sudden twist at the end offering a fresh perspective and certainly providing more discussion on the way home. The film is relatively slow-moving, however, this should be unsurprising as it centres on a boy lost at sea for 227 days- something which would hardly be the most adrenaline-pumping of events, even with a tiger on the same raft. Yet this is not a hindrance to the film, but a further example of what this film is really about, though it does rule out those simply seeking action and thrills, as this film's focus is predominantly elsewhere. It is an awe-inspiring and yet deeply humble film in that despite the flash visual effects, they are done in trying to capture the same stunning beauty of nature itself, which they certainly do. The strength of Pi in his desperate attempts to survive make this film touching and not simply a piece of art. Expand
  81. Jan 14, 2013
    A totally satisfying film - I went with my son (15) and daughter (12), and it's the only film we've all really liked, for differing reasons. I think that says a lot - you can just enjoy it as a gripping and beautiful spectacle, or be engaged by it on a different level. But you are almost certain to be moved by it. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who would find this film boring, and is unable to appreciate the beauty and humanity of it. Expand
  82. Jan 13, 2013
    The adventurous journey of a teenage boy sharing a life-boat with a carnivorous tiger and a hyena in Life of Pi (Patel) was a daunting assignment to render the multidimensional story into a movie. I did not read the book, but I could imagine that the author must have evoked the eternal conundrum between the complex relationship of flora (nature), fauna (human and animals) and God. The perspectives to comprehend this relationship changes when one is in congenial circumstances (the young Pi in Pondicherry in the comfort of his loving family) and when one confronts adversity and death in hapless situation like Pi was marooned in the vastness and unpredictability of Pacific Ocean trapped in a life boat with carnivorous animals. The movie has merely depicted the story against the backdrop of amazing scenes of the Mother Nature, both in her schizophrenic episodes of ferocity and tranquility, of spree of destruction and perpetual serenity. The movie lacks the finesse that could stir one's soul to experience the journey at the same mental plane of an outcast who is constantly striking a balance to survive by seeking the company of an untamed tiger as well as protecting himself from being devoured by the hungry tiger. The movie unravels the intrinsic mystery of Nature which evolves through a co-genetic process of cooperation and competition between predators and victims. Despite its superb 3-D rendition, that sobering experience was a bit from distance (partly because the movie narrates the spectacle through adult Pi thereby killing the suspense) and not at an emotional hyper-plane where the viewer's mind blends with the strife, fear and hope of the main character. If not anything, the production crew of the movie (which must have been over 1000 people geographically dispersed in many countries across three continents) must be lauded for working innovatively and completing a Herculean task. I think that the movie is likely to win two or three Oscar awards in the categories of production and movie making, but not in major categories. However, the Academy has different yardsticks to measure the excellence and has nominated Life of Pi in eleven categories. PinakiMazumder
    Dated January 13th, , Ann Arbor, Michigan.
  83. Jan 13, 2013
    This movie is definitely profound in several aspects. It also makes me think by metaphorical way about my own life. I believe that people from different backgrounds (life experiences) would obtain different impacts by the expression of this movie. As long as you have soul, heart and good perceptiveness, you will know about yourself more or discover your inner latent power. Ang Lee is truly a genius! Expand
  84. Jan 12, 2013
    Having not read the book but hearing rave reviews about it and being compelled to view the film on the strength of these reviews alone, I went into the cinema not really knowing what to expect. But I am pleased to report that this was a wonderful film filled with beauty and emotion. Hardcore animal lovers may find it difficult to maintain dry eyes at some points but this is a stunning film that expresses the enchanting bonds between human and animal and the strength of the human spirit. Expand
  85. Jan 9, 2013
    This movie is extraordinary. The effects, the plot, the acting, the drama, the humor, "the everything" is perfect. To put this book on the big screen is a difficult task but Ang Lee tried and he succeeded. I recommend this movie to every living soul out there!
  86. Jan 9, 2013
    This film has got some awesome special effects, maybe better than the Hobbit and Avatar? It was a very entertaining movie, it is definitely worth a trip to the cinema.
  87. Jan 9, 2013
    When I saw the trailer for this, the only things that really drew me in were how the Coldplay music and drums were synchronised with the titles and how pretty the water looked under the night sky and sunset. After seeing this, I can say that there is so much more to it that I enjoyed! The first half hour was fairly slow paced as it was all about Pi's back-story. Through this part I was thinking "Gee, they're taking some time with this, I wonder when it's going to really start, will they even have enough time for the main parts?" Well after that half hour, it definitely made up for the slow start - it just got better as it went on! When I saw the trailer, I was wondering how they were going to make the majority of the movie on a life boat out at say without getting boring after a while, but it turned out that I enjoyed every second of it! And it somehow gets even better towards the final 45 minutes or so. I highly recommend this - a lot of it can be evoke emotions and is quite deep. When I walked out, I was thinking: "Wow. That's the best movie I've seen in AGES." I can easily recommend this, the only thing that's stopping from giving it an 8.5 is that...Metacritic doesn't allow 0.5 after any number. Go see it! It IS incredible! Expand
  88. Jan 8, 2013
    This movie is a absolute pleasure! The usual survival movies never can make it look like Life of Pi. The pretentious movies like the horrible "Anaconda" movie, Every movie should not be set in USA and finally someone has taken the message. Life of Pi has great graphics and should not be anticipated to be a bad movie.
  89. Jan 8, 2013
    Dreamlike movie with beautiful cinematography. That was it. The plot was cliche although could be better because it was metaphorically portrayed. I like how it includes beliefs in God in many ways, but the message was unclear at the end; whether he's a Christian, Muslim or Hindu.This movie lacks a genuine and rawness essence to it. The emotional part did not reach to me. Everything is just not quite there and it's too stagnant. No climax at all. Expand
  90. Jan 7, 2013
    Life of Pi is stunning! Not only in a visual way, but in the storytelling also. The story of a young boy being lost in the Pacific with almost no hope left, except a tiger with him is remarkable. It is not only a story of how Pi's life at sea is, but much more about things that all human can relate to. The feeling of being alone, the strong faith and the hope that almost gets completely dragged away. The use of symbols and flashbacks is extraordinary. I won't spoil anything for you, but I have to say that you absolutely need to watch this movie.

The visuals seems to be from another world. This movie shows that 3D has potential and can be used in ways other than making more money. The vast landscapes and the huge scale of everything is mind-boggling. Watch this move! It a proof of the art that a movie can be art!
  91. Jan 7, 2013
    Life of Pi might well be the most beautiful picture of this year. Ang Lee effectively uses 3D to tell a story that most people consider impossible to put on film. It works, and it looks amazing. My only complain is, that looking for the films substance, I am grabbing thin air. Life of Pi is a amazing adventure, but as a spiritual journey it fails to really touch me. Still, it's fantastic enough to recommend it generally. Expand
  92. Zal
    Jan 4, 2013
    This film blew me away. Everything from the culture to the spiritualism to the story of survival were told expertly. I think the best thing about this movie is that it's universal. It's a story about human nature told through the experiences of an Indian boy and a tiger lost at sea. I loved every single moment of this movie and I hope to see it again soon.
  93. Jan 4, 2013
    This film is without a doubt the most beautiful release of the past months, every still could pass as a work of art, perhaps due to Ang Lee's masterful manipulation of light to create atmosphere. Furthermore the production team have done a spectacular job ensuring that the (very impressive) special effects heighten the drama rather than distracting. This film is pulled off with precision.

On the story side of things Life of Pi is a little on the over-sentimental side of things, and to an extent I also find the framed narrative bitty and excessive. (I would have preferred to stumble on the philosophical questions myself than have them shoved in my face! - also if the film had been linear I believe it would have had more direction?) But that is a minor complaint, and the action on the boat grips the viewer right to the dying moments. The acting is very convincing, especially seeing as the animals to whom Pi is supposed to be reacting are (exquisitely done) CGI, and obviously therefore weren't there during filming!
    A terrific job, and a must see film.
  94. Jan 4, 2013
    "Life of Pi" is a visually resplendent, emotionally prismatic and aptly constructed film that successfully carries the provocative conceptions from the novel it is based on. Brilliantly acted and simply beautiful, "Life of Pi" is the shining example of a successful novel- film adaptation. Richard Parker continues to philosophically challenge us in the most wonderful ways, allowing a film with multiple interpretations, something that one of the greatest directors, Nolan, would have been proud of. Expand
  95. Jan 2, 2013
    Academy Award winner Ang Lee's Life of Pi is a stunningly beautiful film. Supposedly an 'unfilmable' novel, Yann Martel's book gives Lee ample opportunity for great visual imagery, an opportunity Lee and cinematographer Claudio Miranda grab with both hands. Whether its shots of Pi's boat floating adrift on a sunrise-reflecting ocean, of an island inhabited by a thousands of meerkats or of close-ups of the tiger, the visuals are unrivalled. Lee dedicates enough time either side of Pi's incredible journey, with an adult Pi narrating his story to a writer (Rafe Spall), to give meaning to Pi's emotional ordeal. Although perhaps because of the nature of live action, in particular with facial expressions of the actors, some of the ending's ambiguity may have been lost in translation to the big screen.

Newcomer Suraj Sharma gives a fantastic performance as Pi, playing the role against a fully CGI tiger in what must have been a difficult filming environment. The other true star of the film is Richard Parker the tiger, the special effects for which really are outstanding.

In not staying true to the book, I was slightly disappointed that the writers felt the need to give Pi a love interest at the film's start, I don't feel that this added anything to Pi's character or to the story once the family set sail. Did the writers didn't want anyone to think he was gay or something?! Anyway, I also felt that Pi's gradual blindness from dehydration which for me was one of the most harrowing parts of the novel, could have been featured to add some more despair to Pi's journey, not that it needs more! However, my grumbles about how the film relates to the book count for little.

I had incredibly high expectations for this film after reading the book and seeing the trailers and thankfully Lee's adaptation lived up to those. Life of Pi is a beautiful film of a boy's unbelievable journey and how he finds a home for it among his eclectic religious beliefs.

Bring on the Oscar nominations.
  96. Dec 31, 2012
    I'll start off with the positive. The CGI in this movie was some of the best I've ever seen, with incredible stunning visuals. Other than that however, it had the feel of a made for t.v. special. The story was interesting at times, but I kept waiting for the movie to be brought to the next level, and it just never happened. I would say this movie is good for a rental (although the stunning visuals will not be as impressive on a small screen). I don't necessarily think this was a bad movie, but to be in the 8 plus category?? I give it a solid middle of the road 5. Collapse
  97. Dec 30, 2012
    This movie makes me proud to be a 21st century movie-goer. Finally I see a film that has special effects which are used so appropriately and brilliantly. Of course, not only did the special effects make me love this film, but the adapted screenplay and cinematography did as well. No, I don't really believe that this film is a 10 out of 10. Perhaps it is more of an 8 out of 10. HOWEVER, compared to other films that have been released in recent years... it would definitely seem to be a 10 out of 10. I loved it!! Expand
  98. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    Beautifully, brilliantly filmed, and I gave it an extra point for its faithfulness to the novel. At the same time, I felt that it was lacking in something ... heart, I think, perhaps because the young actor was not up to the huge task. Think of a young actor's tour de force -- say, Christian Bale in "Empire of the Sun." This fellow doesn't quite measure up to that.
  99. Dec 29, 2012
    Having read the book by Yann Martel and knowing that Ang Lee was at the helm, I was really looking forward to seeing Life of Pi. I thought the film would be visually stunning and an emotional roller coaster and truly expected it to be my film of the year 2012, an expectation encouraged by the brilliant trailer. Therefore, I was very disappointed to realise that the actual movie only partially delivered. The main problem is with the adaptation of the book which many people felt was un-filmable. The novel is good, not great, but it does present the boy's willingness to embrace all religions in a very entertaining way, sometimes almost comically. The first half of the film meanders from scene to scene giving us no reason to invest in his religious beliefs. Another problem, having read the book, is that the sequence involving the four animals in the lifeboat has been excised from the screenplay to spare us their gory and prolonged deaths. Whilst I'm exceedingly grateful for this on the one hand, it does tend to dilute what the book did so well in showing the true horror of survival. On the positive side the film has a great asset in its young actor, Suraj Sharma, and its visual effects. The storm sequences are the best in the film and Richard Parker, the Bengal Tiger, is a great creation. The cinematography too is, on occasion, quite beautiful. However, I am less sure about the 3D. It may have something to do with the cinema in which I saw the film, or just be due to the print under review, but I was constantly aware of a blurring of images on the periphery of scenes. This was not only annoying, but distracting. I had to check my glasses on numerous occasions and it became an issue as the film progressed. Overall Ang Lee does make a good stab at parts of the story, including a couple of emotional moments and when the boy and tiger are alone on the open sea, but it is a case of stabbing rather than sleight of hand. Expand
  100. Dec 29, 2012
    First off, it looks stunning; every shot has been meticulously worked out and executed with a high degree of skill and care. The VFX are quite amazing (I have to say for the record that I watched it in 2D). For me the film is in three parts, the story of Pi before he leaves India, the story on the ocean and the story when he makes it to land. It

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    To produce a coherent film from Martel's tricky novel would be achievement enough, but Ang Lee has extracted something beautiful, wise and, at times, miraculous.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Life of Pi, at its best, celebrates the idiosyncratic wonders and dangers of raw, ravaging nature, and Lee wrings more than enough meaning from the excitement of that spectacle; we need nothing higher. [26 Nov.2012, p.86]
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Nov 25, 2012
    A riot of saturated colour and delirious imagination, Ang Lee's adap radiates spirituality. But it's also a simple, thrilling and gently uplifting tale of a boy, a boat and a tiger. Take the plunge.