7.8

1. Dec 15, 2014
    This movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hardThis movie proves that you don't a hundred 'F-bombs' or fountains of blood to make a great action movie... but the unrated movie is easily much better. I was shocked to see a PG-13 'Die Hard' movie hit the theaters but I must say I was surprisingly happy with the results. The action is great and so is everything else you have come to expect from the series. It's always going to be hard to hold up to the original, but this does a nice job at coming close.
    CONS:
    -Making a usually very cleaver John McClain seem overly dumb when it comes to technology of any kind
    -The lack of blood and language (in the PG-13 version)
    -Can move very slow at times and seems very drawn out by the end

PROS:
    -Classic 'Die Hard' fun
    -Great actions scenes that never seem too over the top (except for the part with the jet)
    -A good mix of classic action and modern tech
    -Mary Elizabeth Winstead... always nice to look at
  2. Nov 12, 2014
    This movie is typical 1990's Diehard with a 2007 twist. I love the unrated version. It has tons of action and the things we love the Diehard series for.

Acting: 8/10
    Plot: 9/10
    Themes: 7/10
    Script: 8/10
    Length: 8/10
  3. Nov 5, 2014
    Okay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the wholeOkay, I don't know how, but they did it again. This was actually the first Die Hard I saw before I became familiar with the series. It goes down as my personal favorite as far as action movies are concerned. In the modern age, when everything is run on a computer, a crazy smart computer hacker maniac has no one to stop him should he ever decided to oh, I don't know, dissolve the whole system...right? Wrong. The good old hard hitting cop, John McClane is obviously aged but no less fierce and heroic. It was a bold far-fetched plot but maybe not too far fetched. McClane had to commission a nerd to help him which proved a great move considering their dialogue and character differences. Then you throw in the Taken angle where McClane is trying to repair his relationship with his daughter, and this is just an awesome movie. Sure the stakes are as high as they get and so are the stunts, but even when he went up against pretty impossible odds i didn't think anything stepped too far out of bounds considering what happens in other action movies. Bruce Willis played within himself. They brought in a few attractive women. They made sure the bad guys were plain bad guys. This got a higher score because it proved it could remain a rock solid action film even when they downplayed the blood and foul language comparative to the others. Well done. Worth a watch. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    I call this film 'Die Hard Light' as the villains aren't that villainous, the supporting cast a little bit goofy and a plot taken straight out of a saturday morning cartoon.
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    Of the last three "Die Hard"s as of September 27, 2013, this one is definitely the best. It brings back why we fell in love with the first Die Hard,: jokes, explosions, and well-played out scenes. The storyline to this one is especially exceptional, as it feels very real (the third movies seemed like a stretch). If you like movies in general, you will like Live Free.
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    Although not on a par with the best in the franchise, Live Free or Die Hard is a fun outing for John McClane. There are some problems, most notably a stilted finale and some ridiculous CGI involving a truck and a jet, but overall this gives you a good shot of old-school meathead action.
  7. Aug 16, 2013
    La más grotesca e imponente de la saga. Un ataque generalizado, no como las otras que solo son puntos en las ciudades. Divertida. Buenas escenas de acción y actuaciones.
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    Die Hard 4.0 is an all-out American action film. It's big screen shooting and explosions all the way through. Whilst this is all good and keeps your interest, it's amazing how little focus there is on the story. There's really not enough emphasis on the characters and their motivations; nor is there any explanation of how anything magically happens at the touch of a button. Overall it's aDie Hard 4.0 is an all-out American action film. It's big screen shooting and explosions all the way through. Whilst this is all good and keeps your interest, it's amazing how little focus there is on the story. There's really not enough emphasis on the characters and their motivations; nor is there any explanation of how anything magically happens at the touch of a button. Overall it's a good action movie but given the context it could have had a much stronger plot. Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2013
    A rather enjoyable addition to the Die Hard franchise. Has a good mix of plot and action, The acting is pretty solid as well. I'd recommend it if you are a fan of the old ones.
  10. May 26, 2013
    Live Free or Die Hard is actually a strange experience; for a film that strays so far from its franchise's staples and roots, this film is pure, action-packed entertainment nonetheless. While I understand why many fans of the franchise might dislike this entry when compared to the others, I still think those people are making a huge mistake. Live Free is a good action/thriller. It hardlyLive Free or Die Hard is actually a strange experience; for a film that strays so far from its franchise's staples and roots, this film is pure, action-packed entertainment nonetheless. While I understand why many fans of the franchise might dislike this entry when compared to the others, I still think those people are making a huge mistake. Live Free is a good action/thriller. It hardly feels like a Die Hard film, which is disappointing, but it's very well directed, well acted, and the script is solid. I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the effects; some were over-the-top for a Die Hard movie, but the sequences were extremely well shot and surprisingly original. Sure, this probably isn't the perfect Die Hard sequel, but it's still a good movie worth seeing! Expand
  11. May 6, 2013
    Don't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like ThomasDon't let the goofy title and the PG-13 rating fool you. It's still a fun "Die Hard" action movie to watch. Even though this movie takes on a bit of a different twist as far as storyline, it still tends to bring back that old Die Hard persona. It has some great action and some great new characters as well. As far as acting goes, there's some really good acting. But characters like Thomas Gabriel (Timothy Olyphant) and of course John McLane (Bruce Willis) really make the movie intense. Thomas Gabriel is a very unique terrorist for John to take on. With Olyphant's dark complexity for Gabriel, he really gives us a memorable Die Hard villain. And John McLane is still bad-a** in this PG-13 setting. Speaking of PG-13, it's absurd to have a Die Hard film to be PG-13. I know people got upset with the PG-13 rating (and frankly so did I). But really if you think about it, your basically watching a clean version of Die Hard. Also, if you're going to watch this movie, I recommend the unrated version. It really brings back it's Die Hardness. Overall, even with its PG-13 rating, the movie still kicks a**. Expand
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    I liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that areI liked all of the DH (Die Hard) movies prior to this one but this one I like a little more than Die Harder. This movie has everything that a person would expect in a DH movie with a little twist. John McClane is an old fashion cop playing the heroin in the present day digital battlefield. Bruce Willis plays an awesome role in which his character is totally ignorant to the plans that are be folding around him. The only way he is keeping up with the main villain in this picture is by picking up a suspect/witness hacker that is very technologically savvy. In the end it takes the combined efforts of both the hacker and an old fashion Cop to save the day in this HD film. Congratulations to Len Wiseman for keeping John Mclane's Character consistent in all four movies. In conclusion keeping John's Character oblivious to what was going on and adding a sub heroin of the digital age to the mix helped this movie reach its full potential. Expand
  13. Jan 20, 2013
    John McClane has arrived in the 21. century and still knows the moves to kill all gangsters with a minium effort. The story: amazing, Brucie. stunning, the action: mindblowing. It's not a normal film and when the White House explodes on TV, there is no more tension to create. Best action film of the year!!!
  14. Oct 8, 2012
    Terrible CGI climax scene, censored catchphrases and lame action. The villain was entirely forgettabe and got no time to grow at all and the plot was ridiculous. McClane himself went from an everydayman action-hero to superhero in this movie as well, at no point did it feel like a Die Hard movie.
  15. Jul 7, 2012
    This Die Hard sequel is decent, but it fails to capture several elements of the original. Though Len Wiseman has expertly crafted his action, but those action sequences don't give Bruce Willis a performance that captures the John McClane that sneaked around a building controlled by terrorists shooting them down one by one or wearing a board saying I hate n--grs to fight the terrorist'sThis Die Hard sequel is decent, but it fails to capture several elements of the original. Though Len Wiseman has expertly crafted his action, but those action sequences don't give Bruce Willis a performance that captures the John McClane that sneaked around a building controlled by terrorists shooting them down one by one or wearing a board saying I hate n--grs to fight the terrorist's brother. That was the TRULY BADASS John McClane, and he was also the most badass element of the franchise. Also, couldn't the antagonists have been better? Timothy Olyphant (Thomas Gabriel) and Maggie Q (Mai Linh) played poorly created antagonists who underestimated John McClane in ridiculous situations. The situations were also more ridiculous than what was ridiculous in the original. Man, it's like Len Wiseman almost ruined Die Hard for me, but he didn't; he just failed to make it great compared to the original due to what changed with John McClane and the action and because of the ridiculous situations. Also, isn't tracking down a computer-slicing terrorists more of a job for an FBI Agent or a spy? because it probably isn't for John McClane. If you like this, that's cool with me, but don't forget it didn't capture the badass John McClane of the original, because when I see Bruce Willis, that's exactly who I see so I still wouldn't recommend it. But at least Bruce Willis's performance in Live Free or Die Hard is still pretty solid and Justin Long did a pretty good performance. ~65/100 Expand
  16. Sep 18, 2011
    "Live Free of Die Hard" is strong and crazy with impressive CGI and the good guy-bad guy dialogue. It is one hell of a roller coaster ride.
  17. Oct 27, 2010
    a decent fourth film to the die hard franchise . bruce willis for the most part was on target as john maclaine amd justin long did a pretty decent job as his side kick . the film's PG rating kinda held it back i felt . felt it coulda been pushed abit further . but its a fun ride while it lasts.
  18. Oct 19, 2010
    Bruce willis was the best person for the lead role inthis movie. if you want action this is the movie to see. the most action i have seen in a long time. i know i'm a little late for the review but still a must see.

1. It's simply old-school stunts and movie magic.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The sheer quantity of often outrageous stunts should help overcome franchise mustiness to entertain.
  3. Reviewed by: Jessica Reaves
    Early in LFODH, a villain taunts our hero, calling him "a Timex in a digital world"; McClane, characteristically, takes the dig as a compliment. Two hours, countless butt-kickings and hairbreadth escapes later, we know why.