A24 | Release Date: April 25, 2014
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 274 Ratings
WATCH NOW
themillz1988May 6, 2014
I really enjoyed 'Locke'. It's a great example of how good a minimalistic film can be if done properly with a solid core idea. Tom Hardy is the only character we see on screen, and he is great. There were a couple of occasions I felt he wentI really enjoyed 'Locke'. It's a great example of how good a minimalistic film can be if done properly with a solid core idea. Tom Hardy is the only character we see on screen, and he is great. There were a couple of occasions I felt he went a little bit over theatrical but he held the film together superbly and added another great performance to his work so far. The supporting cast were actually very convincing, despite only being heard and not seen.

All in all 'Locke' is a solid film, perhaps not a film for everyone as I expect some viewers will be put off by its simplicity. That said, it's running time is short so most should find it entertaining enough to hold their attention for an hour and a bit.
GinaKMay 10, 2014
This film is more interesting for meeting the cinematic and acting challenges of focusing on one man in a car for 85 minutes without boring you to death than for its story and insights. I enjoyed the film and was never bored, but some of theThis film is more interesting for meeting the cinematic and acting challenges of focusing on one man in a car for 85 minutes without boring you to death than for its story and insights. I enjoyed the film and was never bored, but some of the sentimentality and contrivances were a bit unimaginative – I don’t want to spoil anything, so I won’t list them. Suffice it to say that the sentimental ending disappointed me, and perhaps the writer-director came to love and admire his "hero" just a little too much. But I have to congratulate the actor Tom Hardy who held my attention throughout, even when the script was not helping him. Expand
BrianMcCriticAug 16, 2014
Tom Hardy is brilliant just sitting in his car driving while talking on the phone. Might sound dull but it's anything but it keeps your attention from start to finish. A-
sammurphy66Aug 16, 2014
Whilst Locke may be a bit tedious for some, this element is overshadowed by a typically hypnotic Tom Hrady performance, a smart script, and mostly engaging plot.
eagleeyevikingOct 3, 2014
Locke works as en exploration of the ramifications of a solitary mistake of an average man while constantly thrills with its experimental one man in one place form, largely due to a commanding lead in the form of the versatile Tom Hardy.
CarbonmanMay 10, 2014
This movie blew my wife and I away. Tom Hardy draws you into his character's complex work and personal lives while sitting in the driver's seat of his SUV. If he doesn't get an Academy Award nomination for this engrossing film, I'll beThis movie blew my wife and I away. Tom Hardy draws you into his character's complex work and personal lives while sitting in the driver's seat of his SUV. If he doesn't get an Academy Award nomination for this engrossing film, I'll be shocked.
Think of this film as a one man play; it could be staged as a multimedia event on stage. All the characters he interacts with as telephone voices. The effect is astounding. The difference would be that if you didn't have Hardy playing the protagonist, it wouldn't have as sympathetic or powerful a character.
Do yourself a favor and track down this film. It's a performance you won't soon forget.
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
ThegodfathersonApr 27, 2014
Locke may be a gritty, hard hitting movie, but it's real highlight is Tom Hardy. Director Steven Knight explores the life of Ivan Locke (played by Tom Hardy) gets a mysterious phone call, which changes his life. Knight never stops theLocke may be a gritty, hard hitting movie, but it's real highlight is Tom Hardy. Director Steven Knight explores the life of Ivan Locke (played by Tom Hardy) gets a mysterious phone call, which changes his life. Knight never stops the thrills, non stop thrills, with excellent acting by Hardy and his amazing accent. Locke is a new movie, something other directors haven't tried before. It's a pulp, thrilling and gritty drama that is worth watching in theatres. Ignore Brick Mansions, The Quiet Ones, The Other Woman and A Haunted House 2 and watch Locke, a well directed and acted movie. Expand
MatteoMay 3, 2014
Locke is inspirational, tense, and unique... What more could you want. Hardy has sex with the camera, Steven Knight's script is a masterclass in writing. Creating tension and raising the stakes for a film about a guy in a car for 90 minutesLocke is inspirational, tense, and unique... What more could you want. Hardy has sex with the camera, Steven Knight's script is a masterclass in writing. Creating tension and raising the stakes for a film about a guy in a car for 90 minutes is impossible, until now... GO SEE IT!!!! Expand
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
Not only does 'Locke' demonstrate masterful storytelling and flawless performances, more importantly it shows up unnecessary spectacles such as Avatar and their mistaken notion that bigger is better. An important film in a disappointing time.
foxgroveApr 25, 2014
Employing the risky premise of one person holding centre stage for an entire film, Locke does not go the way of similar enterprises like 'All is Lost' and ' Buried' and is, in fact, extremely hypnotic. A solid if slight story line is handedEmploying the risky premise of one person holding centre stage for an entire film, Locke does not go the way of similar enterprises like 'All is Lost' and ' Buried' and is, in fact, extremely hypnotic. A solid if slight story line is handed to lead actor Tom Hardy and he delivers in aces changing emotions as he would the gears in his car. His performance is a tour de force master class in acting. For 85 minutes, and from the confines of the afore mentioned vehicle, he runs an emotional gamut encompassing frustration, barely suppressed anger, sadness and even humour. It is a pertinent reminder, if one was necessary, of just how good an actor he is. Expand
rafi_haha18May 1, 2014
locke is best movie I ever watch in year, the story line is almost make me crying, the character of locke is so fully responsibility, and the movie duration is 85 minutes, is short but is a long story, i salute to the director of this movielocke is best movie I ever watch in year, the story line is almost make me crying, the character of locke is so fully responsibility, and the movie duration is 85 minutes, is short but is a long story, i salute to the director of this movie steven knight to make a magnificent movie and outstanding story, i give my thumbs up to this movie Expand
NightReviewsMay 9, 2014
There comes a time, very rarely, where the term enlightened and delightful can be used in the context of a single film. Thankfully, Locke is that film. Being titled and awarding our main protagonist with the surname of one of the pioneers ofThere comes a time, very rarely, where the term enlightened and delightful can be used in the context of a single film. Thankfully, Locke is that film. Being titled and awarding our main protagonist with the surname of one of the pioneers of the age of enlightenment, the father of classical liberalism and a philosopher who contributed endlessly to the notion of identity and that enigmatic term, ‘the self’, it seems only fitting to have one actor have the privilege to don John Locke’s prestigious name while manoeuvring the concrete highways of Birmingham, England, and that is one of our generation’s most promising talents, the one and only Tom Hardy.

Navigating through what seems like an endless night of change, decision making and reflection, Ivan Locke (Tom Hardy) finds himself in his sturdy four-by-four BMW Sports utility vehicle, driving to London, England on what may be one of the biggest days of his career. Ivan is a project manager, in charge of one of the biggest upcoming pours to happen in London, outside of military operations. Ivan, who seems to be dedicated to his job and fascinated with the importance of concrete, abandons his position as a worker and his responsibilities as a man, a husband, and a father, for a deep and dark secret that haunts him from his past and lingers very well to the forefront of his future.

Bumper-to-bumper with endless close-ups of Hardy and various voices that flood the speakers of his vehicle through his very busy telephone bluetooth, which dictates the narrative; including his wife, voiced by Ruth Wilson (The Lone Ranger), Eddie, his son (The Impossible), coworker Donal (Andrew Scott of Saving Private Ryan), no one seems to deliver quite an emotional collision quite like Hardy does.

Hardy is an exceptional actor that is fully capable of dictating the pace and flow of any film, regardless of the setting. Taking cues from previous films like Buried starring Ryan Reynolds and 127 Hours, telling the incredible true story of relentless survivor and avid life believer Aron Ralston, brought to life by James Franco, Locke is singular character driver film capturing the motions and movements of Ivan Locke. With only the glares of the reds, yellows and greens of the city lights flooding the highway, the soft and harsh whitish hues off other cars headlights and the glow coming from his dashboard, Hardy holds a film together not with his body, flashbacks or premonitions, but his face, his dialogue, the occasional cracks in his voice and the powerful tears running down his cheeks. Tom Hardy may very well look rugged, may very well be tatted up and adopt a rough around the edges acting style, but his role in Locke secures his dedication to reviving the cinematic art form and the dedication of actors found only in the golden age of cinema. If nothing else, Hardy is cemented as a staple of the promise in talent that can be found in cinema today, and Locke is a testament to this promise.

At a gentle and almost unnoticed eighty-five minutes, the drive of the film is undoubtedly Hardy, but the heart lies in the tight script and direction of its fearless leader behind the lens and on the page, the uncompromising Steven Knight (Eastern Promises, Closed Circuit). Knight, who directs one of the most calm, reasonable and logically satisfying characters on film in recent memory, focuses less on spectacle and climax, and more on the reality of human beings and realistic, everyday domestic melodrama they face. Rarely are audiences’ engaged in a film where the inner thoughts of its character are amplified into louder words, without a single piece of overacted dialogue. Knight succeeds in allowing the unplanned comedy and tragedy of the everyman’s mundane life to entertain in Locke.

Aesthetically, there is no other ‘trapped in one space’ film better than this one. Ironically enough, Ivan is never in one spot long enough, and implicitly, as well as explicitly, this is what drives Locke into overdrive and well beyond the expectations of its audience. Locke is a multifaceted examination of facing your demons, prioritizing your life and running as far and as fast away from the harsh realities of your past as you can. Without ever taking any easy detour from the unexpected comedy and moments that will have you chuckling your way to a swift resolution for our protagonist, Locke will amaze you despite the obstacles and many bumps along Ivan’s ride.
EdorkApr 28, 2014
A24 has done it again! Simply an amazing film and all shot inside a car. Only a really talented director and actor could've pulled this off. I hope Tom Hardy gets some Award Season attention because he really is great playing off the 4 cellA24 has done it again! Simply an amazing film and all shot inside a car. Only a really talented director and actor could've pulled this off. I hope Tom Hardy gets some Award Season attention because he really is great playing off the 4 cell phone conversations he has throughout the movie. If I had one complaint, it would be the few scenes where Locke stopped the movie to detail his "daddy issues". Those parts just felt really awkward and kinda corny. Other than that, thumbs up! Expand
DoUEvnLftApr 29, 2014
Locke is a film directed by Steven Knight, it is about a Welsh concrete enthusiast called Ivan Locke who, over the course of 85 minutes real time, watches his whole life crumble beneath his feet.

The entire film sees Ivan Locke (portrayed

The entire film sees Ivan Locke (portrayed by Tom Hardy) driving down a motorway towards London to reach a destination to ‘fix’ something (no specifics as I’m not giving out any spoilers). As Hardy is the only on-screen actor in the entire film it is very reliant on his acting skills to carry the story forward, as it is a purely story-driven experience.
Throughout the film Ivan makes a series of phone calls to family members, co-workers and acquaintances, and as each phone call is carried out the situation for Ivan gets worse and worse.

Hardy’s performance throughout the film is stunning, showing a range of emotions and actions when still restricted to his car seat alone. Hardy makes everything he says and all of the decisions he makes believable and very human. There was no point in the film in which I felt something that came from him didn’t feel genuine and all of his lines were delivered impeccably.

The story was very solid and it shows a huge different array of things that can change in one man’s life over the course of just 85 minutes. I won’t go into details but his entire life goes from perfectly afloat to completely destroyed in about 45 minutes. The story is not wrapped up very well though, as at the end I had more questions about the story than answers, and this kind of film does not warrant a sequel, as it would not make any sense. He comes to an ultimate resolution but nothing about what happens after is explained. One thing that I did think is if he reached his destination and there was a sequence outside of his car it would disrupt the tone and style of the film, so that could be why Knight made the decision to stop it where he did.

The way the film is presented is very dark in its visual style and tone. The film is set during the night time and never escapes that as the movie is completely real time from start to finish with no skips or gaps.
The film is very unique in a way that it is essentially an 85 minute monologue of a man losing everything he has and holds dear to him. There is no action, and no other on-screen characters other than Locke in his car. It certainly is an acquired taste and I could only recommend it if you only want a good story and don’t mind if there’s nothing else to it.

I would seriously recommend that you go out and see this if you haven’t already, it’s a great experience with amazing performances and a solid story.
ismacinefiloApr 25, 2014
Awesome, that's all, i love that movie, i love the lead of Tom Hardy. Thank you Steven knight for that incredible movie. Since the start to the end of the movie you'r watching like a child watching an animated movie, electric. Watch it.
LamontRaymondApr 26, 2014
I thought there would be more at stake here. There's simply not. Not a ton happens. Sure, Hardy is solid, but I'm not sure about that accent. It was a little dry for my liking.
TVJerryMay 19, 2014
The entire movie focuses on Tom Hardy, driving on a journey that affects his career, marriage and life in permanent and ruinous ways. The artistic cinematography and active editing keeps the limited setting from being a hindrance, but it'sThe entire movie focuses on Tom Hardy, driving on a journey that affects his career, marriage and life in permanent and ruinous ways. The artistic cinematography and active editing keeps the limited setting from being a hindrance, but it's Hardy's controlled performance that makes the film work. On the down side, even when the situation gets more acute, the emotion never escalates. Sure, he cries a bit, but the intensity starts out and continues at a constant rate. Instead of being an involving drama, this is more a compelling character study and cinematic curiosity. Expand
Lambo442Jan 12, 2015
Locke is the kind of film that can leave you feeling really inspired with it's theme of self redemption. Tom Hardy gives a brilliant performance as Ivan Locke, a man on a mission to do the right thing despite everything. He delivers his linesLocke is the kind of film that can leave you feeling really inspired with it's theme of self redemption. Tom Hardy gives a brilliant performance as Ivan Locke, a man on a mission to do the right thing despite everything. He delivers his lines brilliantly and is so ridiculously cool it hurts. I have made my decision!! If the idea of a whole film being set in a car puts you off then you'll be surprised to find that the drama is so forceful and the acting so great that there's never a dull moment. People are either going to love it or hate it I think as it's quite different from your conventional Hollywood film, but it's originality and vision present a real tour de force. I've watched it three times already and I'll definitely be watching it again. Expand
shadow47Aug 11, 2014
I watched this movie on VOD and I was really amazed, delighted, and thrilled by its brilliance. Although the whole movie happens almost entirely inside a car and consists of a series of phone calls, it is more absorbing than most of thisI watched this movie on VOD and I was really amazed, delighted, and thrilled by its brilliance. Although the whole movie happens almost entirely inside a car and consists of a series of phone calls, it is more absorbing than most of this year's blockbusters. Tom Hardy's fantastically reserved acting as well as the voice acting, especially by Andrew Scott (Jim Moriarty, Sherlock) was a revelation. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
drlowdonMar 28, 2016
With the entire of the film featuring one man sitting in a car talking on his (hands free) mobile phone Locke lives and dies by the quality of its script and the performance of Tom Hardy, and fortunately both are excellent. Admittedly thereWith the entire of the film featuring one man sitting in a car talking on his (hands free) mobile phone Locke lives and dies by the quality of its script and the performance of Tom Hardy, and fortunately both are excellent. Admittedly there are a couple of moments where the sentimentality is arguably layed on a little too thick but writer and director Steven Knight creates a meaningful and emotional tale in less than and hour and a half and shows that you don't need to spend hundreds, or even tens, of millions to make a great film. Expand
shellviewOct 4, 2014
Never a fan of Hardy but this is a performance for which the Oscars are made. Brilliant. A man, a car and a mobile phone come together to answer the question: what is "our life sentence". A small morality play that makes us rethink ourNever a fan of Hardy but this is a performance for which the Oscars are made. Brilliant. A man, a car and a mobile phone come together to answer the question: what is "our life sentence". A small morality play that makes us rethink our lives and the paths we take. Expand
beingryanjudeJan 2, 2015
Over the course of a 90 minute car ride, Tom Hardy extraordinarily carries this film from his driver seat. Locke is both intriguing and contemplative - in all of the right ways.
SpangleApr 14, 2016
Locke is pure brilliance in motion. An emotionally powerful and stirring film, Locke really hits home and the struggles our protagonist faces are so incredibly real that it makes you feel serious compassion for him while also hating his gutsLocke is pure brilliance in motion. An emotionally powerful and stirring film, Locke really hits home and the struggles our protagonist faces are so incredibly real that it makes you feel serious compassion for him while also hating his guts at the same time. Tom Hardy does brilliantly to capture this element and really turns in a powerhouse of a performance. The direction from Steven Knight is fantastic, as is the writing which perfectly captures Locke as a person, as well as everyone he talks to on the phone. Though Locke is the only one we ever see, the people on the other end are so well crafted that seeing is not believing here. You get their full emotion and passion through just the phone calls, which is truly impressive. The cinematography here is gorgeous and really does well to capture the claustrophobic setting and feeling of the film, while also just being simply gorgeous at the same time. Overall, Locke is a phenomenal piece of film that showcases both Hardy's acting skill and Knight's skill as a storyteller. This film is something else. Expand
LeZeeDec 17, 2014
Obviously it reminds Paul Wlaker's 'Vehicle 19' for anyone who had watched it. Both the stories take place inside a moving car. But the only difference is the different genres, thus plots deviates. One was a thriller and another one is aObviously it reminds Paul Wlaker's 'Vehicle 19' for anyone who had watched it. Both the stories take place inside a moving car. But the only difference is the different genres, thus plots deviates. One was a thriller and another one is a drama. The concept was a good one and of course low budget movie with a high quality output. Especially the story was so interesting. The three sets of characters that connected to the movie's main character Ivan Locke played by Tom Hardy. The camera angles were limited that probably restricted to 4 to 5 numbers. And completely whole scenario takes place in the dark time in around the 2 hour span real time.

Performances wise, there's nothing to praise greatly as everything happens in a stillness. But the expressions and the voices rendered were the highlight. Except Tom Hardy the remains were like Scarlett Johansson from the movie 'Her'. If you see, the story in which the dialogues involved through telephone conversation were the typical and predictable. But the way they used to tell it was made all the difference in here. The movie completely reveals the main character whose family and professional lives begins to take a rough road when he decides to correct his mistake. Kind of unleashes how men stabilized his personal life and job affairs together.

‘‘You make one mistake, one little mistake,
the whole world comes crashing down around you.’’

Very much satisfied with the movie. Kind of refreshing from the regular entertainment dramas. If you watch, sorry, if you hear this movie without the visuals you won't find any difficulties to understand. Because all you can give best shot to get it is to paying close attention by listening the phone conversations which covers 90% of the movie. Something like an audio book and you will generate your own images throughout. Most of the people in the world do not prefer drama films, they want fast paced entertainment. But if you have no objection for giving a try for experimental presentations, then here it is that you must not skip it and liked it or not comes afterwards.
BradySmithAug 27, 2014
Locke is a surprisingly engaging movie. I've seen movies that span years that are far more boring. The screenplay was good, Tom Hardy did great, and the camerawork was beautiful. It's definitely not for everyone though. Its premise isLocke is a surprisingly engaging movie. I've seen movies that span years that are far more boring. The screenplay was good, Tom Hardy did great, and the camerawork was beautiful. It's definitely not for everyone though. Its premise is extremely stripped down, which in many ways does limit it, but it also proves that a movie doesn't need a huge budget, or hundreds of locations to be good. Locke makes the best of an extremely compact concept. Does that make it perfect? No. It's too small a film to become truly enthralling, but it's not boring either. It's an insanely risky idea that's proven to actually work through impeccable craftsmanship. Expand
NathonasAug 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought the writing and the idea and the execution behind the film were excellent - let the character and the dialogue and the drama entertain the viewer. However I disagree with Locke's decision-making.

He is willing to destroy his own family, lose his job, and also probably *beep* over a bunch of other workers on the building project with his last-minute decision. I can understand him wanting to be there for Bethan, but when weighing that against the above, the obvious decision is NOT to see her.

What he should have done is tell his wife way sooner, and keep his job. But then, there would be no movie to watch...
AtariBabyOct 2, 2014
This is one of the best films of the year, but I can tell you why user reviews might be mixed. People are probably checking out a movie called "Locke" starring the guy who played Bane driving a car, and thinking they are about to see a highThis is one of the best films of the year, but I can tell you why user reviews might be mixed. People are probably checking out a movie called "Locke" starring the guy who played Bane driving a car, and thinking they are about to see a high speed car chase movie. In fact, that's what I thought!

Well, it's not. It was probably a one-act play. I don't want to give anything away, but the entire film centers on the rock-solid acting of Tom Hardy and a small supporting cast. It's a superb film on every level. I'm so glad I accidentally watched it. My wife and I had a great time discussing the film afterward. I highly recommend it.
diogomendesDec 23, 2014
Led by a powerful performance from Tom Hardy and a deep character study, "Locke" may not be the best movie of the year, but it's a compelling ride that grabs your attention from start to finish.
alwayswatchingMay 24, 2014
Ivan Locke , played by Tom Hardy, drives one night from Birmingham to London. During his trip we hear him making phone calls to his colleagues, family, and his mistress. The story never leaves the car and we see nobody else , which makes theIvan Locke , played by Tom Hardy, drives one night from Birmingham to London. During his trip we hear him making phone calls to his colleagues, family, and his mistress. The story never leaves the car and we see nobody else , which makes the movie dragging every now and then.

The film explores many aspect of modern life, humanity and even up to a certain point, ideas such as free will and fate.

Ivan Locke is a professional civil engineer who is working on a big construction project. He had an affair with a woman in the past who is giving birth to his baby on the night that the story of the movie takes off. Locke is driving to London to be with his mistress and his newborn baby.

Locke's struggle to fix things is a symbolic representation of what we, human beings, struggle with in life: the desire to have control over what happens around us and to us, the desire to fix and compensate for our mistakes in the past, the desire to have a happy family, the anger that we carry with us from our parents because they weren't responsible enough or because they made terrible decisions that immediately and significantly affected us and it seems they do not care.

Locke is talking to his dad—or to his own past—in the rear mirror of his car. He is constantly instructing and lecturing his dad that he will and fix everything. Locke is self driven, firm, and assiduous. Nothing can stop him, neither his boss, nor the long ride, nor the drama of his family. He chooses where to go and how to go and forces everything follow.

Locke's story and his journey in the end, is also the story and journey is the story and journey of his father, and why his father did what he did. The movie leaves you with the this question that “How the Ivan's father was like?” Was the a reckless irresponsible man who didn't care what would happen to his family and kids. Or was he really self driven yet mired in troubles---like Ivan who has to make wrong decisions despite what his will.

Locke's drive and his adventure also raises this question that, as humans, how much should we fight to determine our destiny, or should we let it go, should we just give up and kneel to the merciless forces of destiny and fate, which are not under our control. And if yet, to what extend should we fight back and sacrifice?
B-RAXAug 10, 2014
For a film that takes place in a car, during it’s entire runtime, Locke is surprisingly exciting. Of corse, the concept couldn’t have been pulled-off were it not completely thought-out and efficiently executed.

Locke tells the story of one

Locke tells the story of one man, over the coarse of one night, while driving in his car. In order to avoid spoilers and get the most out of the unpredictable plot twists, I won’t reveal too many details.

What Tom Hardy delivered to the screen was one of the best performances of the year. The way Hardy, as an actor, sucked me into his character was unlike anything I’ve seen in cinema. The brilliantly executed, single character aspect was the most exciting part of the movie. Much of the tension was built around how Tom Hardy sounded and his mind-grabbing voice inflection. When he got nervous I could put myself in his shoes...when he got angry I sank in my seat.

The reason the emotion worked so well was because it felt like the viewer was in the car with Hardy. Many times in movies, certain situations that would be shocking in real life, come across as less intense. For example, the way death is portrayed in various films is not as uncomfortable for the viewer as it would be in reality. My point being, the level of emersion this film captured, felt so real, I would flinch when Hardy dropped the F-bomb. I felt like I was siting in the backseat of his car, watching his life crumble. Lighting, editing and the soundtrack all helped encompass the mysterious tone that raised uncertainty throughout the film’s entirety.

My only complaint with the film is its abrupt ending; I would have liked to seen the plot carried over into a different setting as a closer. But, if you see Locke, which I highly recommend, you’ll understand where the creators were coming from when they ended the film the way they did. Sometimes, I just like seeing a visual close to what’s been eluded to.

Locke is a great film, movie lovers can’t miss. Hardy's compelling solo roll is the most Oscar-worthy performance yet this year, one worth seeing.
ydnar4Feb 20, 2015
Tom Hardy is one of the few actors around today who just seem like they can do no wrong. Locke is a film that takes place entirely in a car. Hardy is the only character that is physically in the film, all the other character are just voicesTom Hardy is one of the few actors around today who just seem like they can do no wrong. Locke is a film that takes place entirely in a car. Hardy is the only character that is physically in the film, all the other character are just voices that he talks to on the phone as he drives. Hardy's character Ivan Locke is a very successful construction manager who is about to begin his biggest project, but during this hour and twenty minute drive his personal and professional life fizzle over the conversations he has on the phone. Locke is certainly not the most exciting film I've ever seen but it is original. Tom Hardy may be the only actor I would watch in this role and of course, he's great in this film. Expand
Max_KadillacOct 26, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. IMBD reviews tell the story of this films reception - the really high scores came from people who could appreciate the taught narrative relayed through a sole on-screen actor against the minimal backdrop of, well, a car seat. The low scores were generally aligned with reviews that were moreso 'nothing happened, what a boring film, that dude didnt even get out of his car!'.
So, if you have an appreciation of film that lets you recognize these subtle dynamics, jump in, as its a very moving and powerful piece, with very few films i could compare it to. If you would rather a film that didnt challenge you and is full of car chases, guns and massive hollywood breasts, the good news is that you should just stay away from this film and grab just about any other 'thriller' off the shelf.
TheFilmFanaticNov 2, 2014
Locke is a one-man drama masterpiece set in a single confined location. The film relies entirely on Tom Hardy's performance, which is masterfully done. The story is creative and original, creating a simple situation that does not become staleLocke is a one-man drama masterpiece set in a single confined location. The film relies entirely on Tom Hardy's performance, which is masterfully done. The story is creative and original, creating a simple situation that does not become stale throughout the entirety of the film. The dialogue is phenomenal, pulling the audience into the life of Ivan Locke. Locke brings an innovatively written and beautifully directed film with an acting performance that really brings the audience along for the ride, literally. Expand
filmfannNov 24, 2014
The reviewers claiming this movie is boring are missing its point. Locke is a construction manager in charge of a large, important building being constructed. 7 months prior, in his only indiscretion, he had a one night stand and got a womanThe reviewers claiming this movie is boring are missing its point. Locke is a construction manager in charge of a large, important building being constructed. 7 months prior, in his only indiscretion, he had a one night stand and got a woman pregnant. Tonight she is having the baby in London. Locke's own father abandoned him when he was an infant and only showed up in his life when he was 23 years old. In reaction to this, Locke has chosen to live his life differently, ie not to run away from pressure or disaster or difficulty.. This movie focuses on the consequences of the principles he lives by: he will not lie, he will not run away, he will take responsibility and do what he feels is the right thing even though other people will hate him for it. Whether or not you agree with how he handles his marriage, his family, his job, under the circumstances is not as important as witnessing his absolute steadfastness to his principles and his commitment to living his life in a way so that he can respect himself. He firmly believes that all problems can be worked through. He doesn't convince his wife or his bosses of that though. But he does take the consequences of his decision. He holds it together under enormous pressure. This was a character study and Knight did a great job of rendering a particularly British idea about what makes a solid man.
The acting was remarkable considering Hardy had to hold our attention without any of the tricks of the typical action flick. Cinematography was beautiful. The music was superbly chosen and has stayed with me. If you want a film that makes you think about what it means to live your life well, whether or not you agree with Locke this film is thought provoking.
danippMar 13, 2015
What a pleasure to spend 90 minutes with such an amazing actor. Hardy gives a masterful performance as a man who stars the film with a happy family and a great job and ends it completely differently because of a decision he made. We never seeWhat a pleasure to spend 90 minutes with such an amazing actor. Hardy gives a masterful performance as a man who stars the film with a happy family and a great job and ends it completely differently because of a decision he made. We never see other people's faces, only their voices, but all the dialogues we hear on screen are enough to keep our attention. When the movie ends you get a little bit angry because you wanna know what happens after Locke's trip to London but that's the story: we get a ride with this guy and when he arrives in his destiny it ends. Perfect. Expand
itsLukeNunnDec 21, 2014
I was unsure at first, but I by the end of the film I was taken back by the talent of Tom Hardy and the wonderfully crafted piece of film that Steven Knight created. Every shot was perfectly executed and the gritty, original idea takes thisI was unsure at first, but I by the end of the film I was taken back by the talent of Tom Hardy and the wonderfully crafted piece of film that Steven Knight created. Every shot was perfectly executed and the gritty, original idea takes this film to a whole new level. Definitely worth a watch and is a real eye opener to what can be achieved with such a simple setting. Expand
AlejandroVHFJan 14, 2015
Interesante concepto donde hay un sólo protagonista y el espectador se convierte en silencioso copiloto mientras Ivàn Locke se dirige con valor, a una gigante transición en su vida.
nimloth32Jan 10, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never wrote a review about a movie at all in my life.. i actually created an account for this movie.. as you know, this movie is about a man, a car, and a handsfree mobile device.. but the story is about life.. responsibility.. the direction is good, the setting is perfect.. and the pace is right.. tom hardy's acting is amazing in this movie.. and so does the voice over through the phone.. good job to the director and the screenwriter.. cheers.. Expand
NRNSWApr 26, 2015
This is one of the most memorable movies that I have seen in a long time. It has been made in a way that you remember it very clearly - and the story keeps you interested from start to finish. The characters were so strong that they led toThis is one of the most memorable movies that I have seen in a long time. It has been made in a way that you remember it very clearly - and the story keeps you interested from start to finish. The characters were so strong that they led to debate with friends after the movie. Get a hold of this movie and watch it. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 26, 2015
Tom Hardy in a car with a phone and that's the movie. Tom Hardy in a car for the all movie calling his family and friends on speaker phone, that's sounds boring but in this movie it works. The writing is just brilliant and it's so interestingTom Hardy in a car with a phone and that's the movie. Tom Hardy in a car for the all movie calling his family and friends on speaker phone, that's sounds boring but in this movie it works. The writing is just brilliant and it's so interesting and Tom Hardy is freaking fantastic, And Tom Hardy character (Ivan Locke) starts off calm and well spoken but as the film goes on he's character starts to lose his cool and starts to show his guilt. Expand
aurora1Jun 30, 2015
A man, a car, a journey in the night, and the art of being a decent person. A pure gem. And Tom Hardy is so brilliant! Would you believe that he didn't learn by heart all the lines of the script? Unmissable.
ElofsonApr 8, 2016
As one reviewer wrote: Tom Hardy is simply spellbinding. He is calm and soothing, but one can feel the turmoil and pressure going on inside him. A very impressive one man achievement.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 22, 2016
Locke uses Tom Hardy to make Locke look excellent in every single way ever. Tom Hardy was a good choice for his role in this very excellent movie I call an 8 on.
2morovianOct 9, 2016
Tom Hardy accomplishes what every great performer accomplishes...he makes something that is extremely complex, nuanced and difficult look easy and simple. The writing, the acting and the film are utterly brilliant.