6.4

1. Mar 21, 2014
    Whats with the negative reviews? This film is a solid 10 for me. The film has a great flow. A bit of a slow beginning but the explosions and effects are fantastic and so is the acting. The storyline isn't insanely special but none the less it's a very entertaining film. The CG may be a tiny bit off here and there but that doesn't spoil it. There's also a charm of humour in it as well which makes it great.

I was entertained the whole way through. I highly recommend it!
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    It isn't very good. But that does not mean that it doesn't have some cool entertaining scenes. It does not, however, live up to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. The script is pretty bland and its runtime is too long.
  3. Mar 3, 2014
    The Lone Ranger definitely has its ups and downs. Personal preference may alter peoples impression of the film, but it is hard to deny that this film is filled with indecipherable sequences that seem as if they were made to be pieced together by the viewer for no apparent reason. It is a simple story that is told in a confusing fashion, and a movie that could have been presented in 1 to 2 hours is presented in a fat 2 and a half hours instead.
    That put aside, this film will please a wide range of people because Johnny Depp's performance brings the movie to life. Gore Verbinski's directing style, imagination and choreography skills are almost unmatched, resulting in fast-paced, action-packed battle sequences that are sure to keep you excited and entertained. The cast keeps the movie together and although the high budget of this film may have caused its downfall, it also made for fantastic visual effects that keep your jaw dropped.
    The movie starts off well, with a fair combination of story and action, but as the film progresses, you might just sink into your couch with boredom. This movie, that is both long and confusing, does not keep it's audience on edge for the most part. The trailers for the movie are deceiving, but that does not mean that it does not offer any entertainment value at all. In fact, this movie is worth watching solely for the sake of the final action sequence: an incredible mix of multi-perspective choreography, comedic action and a handful of shoot-em'-up Disney style makes the movie go out with an awesome and attempts to make up for the rest of the movie.
    For any Pirates of the Carribean fans, Tim Burton cast lovers or action movie geeks, you should definitely watch this movie if you are hesitant or have nothing else to do.
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    Maybe misunderstood by most in their expectation of finding yet another (monotonously boring?) rendition of blazing gun super hero know all conquer all movies, but in stead being confronted with a quirky turned on the head version of the traditional? Who is the real hero? I found Depp to be classic Depp. Hammer does justice to a difficult "understated hero" role. Patronizing, quirky, funny, a worthwhile watch. Although, as a mainstream general superhero movie, most probably not the one to watch. I say thank you, thank you, thank you that some producers still have the guts to discard the tried and tested muffin recipe and come up with something different and fresh to entertain me. Expand
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Not that bad. It's not perfect, but the movie has a lot of potential and is definitely better than the last few "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies. I wasn't expecting much considering the negative reviews and my lack of love for every "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie after the first, but overall while flawed the movie is still a decent, but non-essential watch. There are a lot of better ways to spend your time, but there is some fun to be had here.

The plot is pretty decent even if the movie treats it's main characters a goofballs who are impossible to take seriously. Literally The Lone Ranger and Tonto come across os what would typically be the comic relief characters in other movies, and the only reason they survive 90% of the events in the movie just comes down to shear luck. There are plenty of funny moments, and the action scenes can get pretty great at times, but it really is hard to take any of it seriously thank to how stupid the film treats it's two leads. That being said Johnny Depp's Tonto manages to be even more enjoyable than his "Jack Sparrow," which is an incredibly impressive feat.

Overall the film has a lot of flaws, and there are plenty of better movies to watch, but there are also tons of worse options and at least "The Lone Ranger" doesn't feel like a complete waste of time. I can't compare it to the original TV show it's based off of because I've never watched it, but I would have a hard time believing it does it that much justice at all. In the end though this movie isn't bad, just really flawed. I wouldn't recommend you go out and watch this over the tons of better options out there, but if you've got nothing better to watch this is an ok choice. Just don't expect to be blown away or particularly impressed, because it's just decent all around.
  6. Feb 2, 2014
    Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. Although the film strayed from the storyline of the TV series, I thought the film was entertaining, just not what I was expecting. Johnny Depp brought life to Tanto, as he does with most of his characters. Overall and enjoyable Disney creation.
  7. Jan 31, 2014
    Lead actor was by far the worst lead actor I've ever watched. Johnny Depp was in his usual quirky self. Which is becoming a bore to me. The only thing that fit in this movie, is the villain. Everything else is just forgettable.
  8. Jan 30, 2014
    The DVD came out and I thought, "Well, maybe this movie has been over-reviewed and it simply cannot be as bad as it has been reviewed." It is! Throughout the entire forty minutes I could stand watching this thing I could just here the writers and actors and crew laughing together and saying, "This is really funny." It isn't!
  9. Jan 22, 2014
    Critics are haters. They're like blood-thirsty vampires. They feed on negative energy. This movie was actually very good, and I loved watching Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer working together as a team. The film is not nearly as bad as critics suggest, even though I have a few objections over the cannibalism and sexual undertones the movie had, since kids might have been watching. However, there are also some very humorous scenes between Depp and Hammer in the movie. Overall, I enjoyed this movie and hope there will be a sequel, though it seems unlikely. I would purchase this movie on DVD, as it very good.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me before under "andrewgarcia732". I can't get into my old account and have started a new one.)

If you liked this review, read my other reviews by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful.
  10. Jan 21, 2014
    How is this a bad movie? It is a great movie with action, humor and more. Johnny DEPP! That explains that it is a great movie. It is epic. Will beat dick sucking movies like HER>
  11. Jan 17, 2014
    In Theaters: July 3, 2013 MPAA Rating:PG-13 (for sequences of intense action and violence, and some suggestive material) Genres:Action/Adventure, Action/Adventure, Western, Adaptation Distributors:Walt Disney Pictures Box Office:$48,936,000 Synopsis: Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice—taking the audience on a runaway train of epic surprises and humorous friction as the two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption EXHIBE FLIX (www.exhibeflix.com) Expand
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    After watching the movie I'm truly speechless at these reviews. Watch for yourself, you won't know what on Earth they are talking about. I won't bother trying to defend it, go see for yourself how awesome it is.
  13. Jan 13, 2014
    great movie,i was smiling and laughing with the kids in the theatre all the time,some of my friends saw the negative reviews and were sceptical,but they changed their opinion after seeing it.
    this movie is definetly worth checking out!!
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    I don't understand why the critics thought it was so bad (apparently 300 don't either). It was a god movie, and I wish it didn't do so horribly at the box office. It was action packed and hilarious. Why the heck were the critics so harsh.
  15. CLS
    Jan 9, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the so-called "Spaghetti Western" genre. I've only known the Lone Ranger franchise from a piss-poor foreign adaptation (HINT: It's from a Southeast-Asian country) of an American franchise. Even if Johnny Depp was the selling point of this movie, Armie Hammer delivered a convincing Lone Ranger performance.

It's a shame that many critics bashed this movie and it looks
    like the "Spaghetti Western" genre would need to take a rest for a long time after this debacle. Expand
  16. Jan 7, 2014
    Quite shallow in storyline. But still great performance by Johnny Depp. Overall an -ok- movie and might be enjoyed by some fans. Needs a better storyline...
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    i went into this film blind as I had no idea of the critical reviews or box offices losses. All I can say is that I really enjoyed this movie and it was exactly what I expected like the Mummy and Pirates and Raiders franchises. Immediately after watching it I checked to see if there were sequels in the works. I give it a ten for delivering exactly what it promised.
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    Possibly the hardest movie to critique I have ever seen, I can't decide whether I think this is Rotten or not! 60% of the movie is Johnny Depp playing the same character he always plays and out of place euphemisms, while the other 40% is a ridiculously entertaining but unintelligent action movie full of huge machine guns and trains which can defy the laws of physics. Every time that unforgettable and universally recognised theme song comes on you start enjoying it and then it goes back too Johnny Depp being the same unfunny character he always plays and Armie Hammer being quite annoying actually. I'll give it 3 stars because of how amazingly enjoyable the action sequences are. Expand
  19. Dec 29, 2013
    I must take exception to some of the reviews posted by my fellow cinema goers. As someone who has enjoyed Johnny Depp in everything I had seen previously, love westerns, and grew up watching The Lone Ranger, I was eager to love this film. However, its just a mess. Worse western Ive seen since the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and thats saying a lot.....
  20. LTR
    Dec 28, 2013
    This is an average Disney movie. The story is good,the characters are okay but cartoonish at times and the action is good. I know a lot of people hate this movie and I can see why, but personally I thought it was ok.
  21. Dec 28, 2013
    Unbelievably under valued, this is a light and enjoyable movie. Johnny Depp is, for him, very understated here as Tonto and his fun playing of the character is all the better for it. In the scenes in which he plays him as an old man he is totally unrecognisable so good is the make up for his aged character. The cinematography is first rate and much enjoyment is generated from the outstanding stunt work on display aboard a fast moving train. Hans Zimmer intuitively ties everything up nicely via his perfectly fitting and, at times, beautifully melodic score. Expand
  22. Dec 26, 2013
    Although most people underrated the movie it is worth it to watch. The cast had many good actors if not close to great, just to mention few there was Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, William Fichtner, Helena Bonham Carter. The movie is a typically action movie with a little bit weak story line. Yes it dose include some boring parts which add to the length of the movie. Generally it is a enjoyable movie which chance that a person will watch it 1-2 times. Expand
  23. Dec 25, 2013
    The Lone Ranger deserved better ratings and comments than what it got. It was funny and had a lot of action. Everyone is against the idea of Johnny Depp playing tonto here i think he did a hell of a job playing the role. JD brought humor and whit into the movie which made it watchable.
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    The Lone Ranger 1949 series was one of the biggest hits in television history, and for me this movie's accomplishment honor (not the best way but it does). Johnny Depp shows us a more like Tonto Jack Sparrow that Jay Silverheels starring. Gore Verbinski does a good direction, but I am already half sick of us do get used by Tim Burton to see Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter together on screen. Armie Hammer grandly homage to the great Clayton Moore (who can rest in peace thanks to Hammer). The comedic moments manage to make you laugh out loud almost (Johnny Depp in the special). What I did not like that becomes boring and middle parts of the very fictional script. Expand
  25. Dec 20, 2013
    Born in 1966 I was privileged to grow up watching the Lone Ranger on TV, I was unable to catch the movie in the theaters and was anxious to see it on DVD, I can honestly say the critics got this one correct. This movie was awful and I am offended that they made the Lone Ranger character out to be this buffoon and the Tonto character a bumbling idiot. I figured the whole story out 30 minutes into it and was exhausted and stun afterwards I only sat through it because of my kids and I explained to them that this movie was a farce, it should have never been made. I am normally not hard on movies but considering myself a serious movie buff, I am completely appalled. Disney was wondering why the critics dogged it because like me they remember the Lone Ranger as a smart, charismatic man of truth and justice with a keen mind and sense of valor with his trusty sidekick ready to assist and keen as well. I think I am done now, this movie was simply bad. Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2013
    Two and a half hours of nothing. There is very little character development and by the end you care about no one. It's not one of the worst movies of 2013 only because it's fairly well made but the length makes it unwatchable. D+
  27. Dec 16, 2013
    Disney goes all in with "The Lone Ranger" in the hopes of creating another successful franchise similar to that of "Pirates of the Caribbean," by reuniting director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and Johnny Depp. However, it becomes readily apparent Bruckheimer is attempting to launch a new Western fantasy franchise (with a price tag hovering around a quarter of a billion dollars), by simply cloning his previous lucrative endeavor. "The Lone Ranger” suffers from an overly elaborate plot that contains a muddled sense of humor peppered with moments of out-of-place violence. The movie has an encouraging start, but slips into a lethargic second act, and ultimately ends as an overblown mess that goes on far too long.

The year is 1869 and the first transcontinental railroad is nearing completion. As Texas-born attorney John Reid (Armie Hammer) is traveling home from college, when the train he is on is hijacked by a band of outlaws who have come to free their cannibalistic leader Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) from custody. John joins his brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and the rest of the Texas Rangers to track him down, but Butch Cavendish ambushes the group of men en route, and leaves them to perish in the desert.

Left for dead, John receives aid from a Comanche Indian named Tonto (Johnny Depp), whose life John saved in an earlier encounter at the behest of a white spirit horse. Both men want to bring Cavendish to justice for their own reasons, so they decide to team up, with John donning a mask to hide his identity. But on their quest to take down Cavendish and his men, the pair uncovers a larger plot involving railroad tycoon Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) that could spell trouble for the native tribes.

The erratic nature of the storytelling really hurts the overall result, especially when the film already feels cluttered and completely overblown. While the movie has some enjoyable, entertaining moments, the second act of the film loses steam feeling lifeless and dull when it takes itself far too seriously. Additionally confusing is the handful of dark and violent moments that are present in a summer blockbuster family friendly movie. Another significant issue is the excruciatingly long runtime, which clocks in at tiresome 150 minutes.

A mixed bag of conflicting films all in one, "The Lone Ranger" is occasionally entertaining, yet ultimately disappointing. Deviating between violence, gruesome villains, and silly humor, the film never quite figures out what it wants to be and when to call it quits.
  28. Dec 15, 2013
    It´s decent. It´s not as bad as everyone wants to make it seem, and not not too good either. Great things are some amazing and fun action scenes, the cinematography and the score (Hans Zimmer as always doing a great job). Overall it´s entertaining, which makes it get a pass from me. But there are some really bad things. Jonny Depp character is just too silly and his acting here is not good. Armie Hammer does a decent job (in fact I checked this movies thanks to him, I really liked his performance in Clint Eastwood´s "J. Edgar" with Leo DiCaprio). And there are too many silly moments mixing modern things with how the world worked back then. It doesn´t work. Still a fun watch. Expand
  29. Dec 3, 2013
    Despite the critical reviews and audience’s general hatred of the film, I really enjoyed “The Lone Ranger.” The film is not without its problems as Armie Hammer’s performance is a little cheesy for the fabled hero of the old west but he eventually gets better as the film progresses. Secondly, the story felt a little long and it tended to drag at points. However, there are some great action sequences, William Fichtner is great as the villain and Johnny Depp is pretty entertaining as Tonto. The film has its good and it has its bad but I enjoyed it more than I hated it. Expand
  30. Nov 30, 2013
    I absolutely loved it. I heard of all the bad things about it, which made me skeptical at first, but when i watched it I thought to myself "Wow, this is actually fairly decent". It adds yet another dark tone to Disney, plus more. It gets a lot of hate for some reason, and that reason will remain a mystery.
  31. Nov 22, 2013
    Dramatic scenes mixed with poor humour (e.g. brave Indian warriors are decimated by the army machine guns and then we see Tonto wondering how his horse climbed on a tree), Depp playing like a wooden totem, fights which look more like a circus show, needless scenes (such as the search in the brothel) and a ridiculous hero (he acts like an idiot or follows lunatic Tonto) ‘Lone Ranger’ was almost painful. Besides, it’s idiotic that the protagonist claims to be an atheist and at the same time he is a fan of John Locke’s work: doesn’t he know that Locke’s philosophy is based on the idea that the human being is created by God? That’s why it has an immense value, objectively, and to protect and honour that value the human rights exist. It’s no coincidence that only Christian societies invented constitutions that treated people with dignity (and then other societies followed their example).
    The only good things of this movie are its presentation and some concepts borrowed from ‘Once upon a time in the west’, like the wait in the train station, the ambitious railway tycoon or the watch which reminds Tonto of his painful past.
    argonautis.eu
  32. Oct 31, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is flawed in many ways. It seems that a wrong strategy has been applied from the beginning of the production. Combining the elements of comedy and fantasy with a very bitter and realistic story has chocked the movie. Unless the first and last sequences, the film's dramatic background doesn’t allow the inclusion of elements of parody, and the Mr. Verbinsky's efforts, who has already succeeded to make a perfect parody of western movies (Rango), fails. At the center (in the core) of The Lone Ranger lies a western in classical form, devoid of fantasy or Humorous arrays, that in current shape is buried beneath a mass of unfunny jokes, inappropriate special effects, undeveloped relationships between characters and numerous and futile Occurrences. Expand
  33. Oct 30, 2013
    pelicula ser tonta y predecible. the lone ranger es algo desaprovechado, pues se torna aburrida es algo ridiculo Jhonny depp y las cosas no salen bien despues de un impactante trailer, la descepcion quedo clara con 2:30 horas de intentar hacer valer un muy mediocre trabajo
  34. Oct 23, 2013
    All though this movie was not perfect it certainly did not deserve to get banged up by a lot of critics and others who I feel are somewhat close minded.This is the kind of movie that appeals to people with a capability for abstract thinking and can accept entertainment which presents the unexpected.No, the Lone Ranger is not an Instant Hero and Tonto is not his servant.The plot does not always follow the linear direction that you would think.And the story told by the old Tonto is possibly that in his own mind just a story.But these are the things I liked about the movie and thoroughly enjoyed watching it at The Family Drive-in in Stephens City,VA with my wonderful wife,my awesome 5 month old son (who fell asleep on my chest before the movie even started) and a sky full of stars overhead.Add this one to my list of all time revisionist westerns and I am looking for more like it from this creative team. Expand
  35. Oct 19, 2013
    Instead of making it a comedy they should of made it an action/western that would of been better than this thing. The main actor has no personality what so ever and other characters aren't much different. I don't know didn't like it at all.
  36. Oct 14, 2013
    I'm a little late with 'The Lone Ranger', but better never than late! Not only did the movie fail to examine themes of greed and racism (issues that were tailored for this kind of material), it failed at telling a good story, period. I thought the story was poorly framed. The constant back and forth between Tonto’s (Johnny Depp's character) retelling of the tale of the Lone Ranger to a precocious boy, always drew us out of the main story line. Johnny Depp's heavy makeup and oddball shtick is getting tired now; and the chemistry with Army Hammer’s Lone Ranger fell flat. As we've seen with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Gore Verbinski is no stranger to staging elaborate action sequences; but here, the action feels even more implausible and spans for way too long. This brings to the length of this movie, which has no business being 150 minutes! A leaner runtime and tighter narrative would have definitely lightened my eyelids. The only thing I truly admired about 'The Lone Ranger' was the quality of the production value. The character-centric costumes, production designs and sound designs gave it a top-notch quality that you've come to expect from big budget studio films such as this. Too bad the brain doesn't match the muscles. This dud will only be remembered for being one of 2013's biggest flops. Expand
  37. Oct 9, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is the best movie of 2013 (so far). If the kid inside you is still alive, just ignore all the negative critics and enjoy the great movie.
  38. Oct 7, 2013
    I can not believe the criticism about this movie was excellent mourn me laugh, and it was extremely fun the critics do not know watch movies today. they just want money
  39. Oct 5, 2013
    Having seen how the critics trashed this movie I was expecting the worst. Wow did they ever get it wrong. To me it was the ultimate, thrilling Saturday morning western I remember seeing as a kid. Of course it was over the top and absurd in places it was meant to be because it was such a glorious homage to this genre. Don't be put off by over-intellectualizing critics. It's a blast.
  40. Oct 5, 2013
    The movie showed good potential at the beginning, and I was somewhat enjoying myself.
    However, this soon changed, and it turned into quite the mess. The ending was so fantastical and unbelievable, that I completely lost interest, and subsequently stopped caring about it. The scene where silver (the horse) jumps off a building and onto the train, was so stupid that I completely dropped my
    jaw onto the dirty cinema floor. I am wondering if I can sue Disney for ruining one of my childhood heroes, as well as the germs that infected me from the whole jaw dropping on the floor thing... Expand
  41. Oct 5, 2013
    WTF is up with these critics. Seriously top entertainment here and they rate it an average of 3.7 These semi-intellectuals need to get their heads out of their asses and rate movies according to entertainment value. I had fun through the whole movie hence rating it a 10
  42. Sep 30, 2013
    This film was fantastic! It perfectly captured what I liked best about the old TV show. The Lone Ranger is a condescending ass that Tonto and Silver have to save time and again. It becomes and inside joke that we the audience are in on. Why do they keep helping him despite his "better than you" attitude. Because his heart is in the right place. Tonto is wise, patient and witty. Johnny Depp was excellent in the role. Expand
  43. Sep 18, 2013
    At some point there was this one scene where Armie Hammer's persona was being dragged through horse fecal matter. That's exactly how it felt watching this putrid excuse of entertainment.
  44. Sep 12, 2013
    Pretty nice action. Go and see it right now if you haven't saw it. It was really nice. This movie is underrated. I think this movie deserves to get a Oscar in the next year. MUST SEE.
  45. Sep 10, 2013
    Much like with his first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Gore Verbinski has roved that he is a master of both spectacle and story as The Lone Ranger is an unconventional yet exhilarating tale of reinvention and revenge. While returning home John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets Tonto (Johnny Depp) during a daring train jailbreak. When John is left for dead Tonto saves him and encourages him to become something outside the law, to become a Lone Ranger. Much like Verbinski's previous effort Rango, The Lone Ranger is a twist on the conventional western and doesn't quite feel like a western at all. The Lone Ranger feels like a remarkably smart kids film as almost everything in the film happens for the sake of comedy as the film rockets along with a light hearted tone. However the film does have some disturbing moments that give John and Tonto their justifications for their vendetta meaning there are moments when the film doesn't feel like a 12A at all but a 15 meaning there are moments that may not be suitable for children, especially a rather twisted torture scene early on in the film. It's a courageous film that goes against the stereotypical western formula to become its own beast, a fast paced revenge thriller that boasts more comedy than the average buddy comedy and still has room for exploding trains, gunfights and romance. A film that is trying to be spectacular and look incredible and despite a slow opening it pretty much achieves everything it sets out to do and more. Expand
  46. woo
    Sep 4, 2013
    This film is very good. It is as good as when you see Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time. The main characters are easy to relate to. The action scenes are quite amazing.and the story line keeps you going.. Perfect cinema fodder
  47. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ahead of The Lone Ranger as it made its way across the pond was a cloud of overwhelming negativity from American critics, souring the film's UK opening. Stars Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp have defended the film against this tirade, arguing that these reviews were written months before the film was released, and focused on condemning the large budget length. This side of the Atlantic, critical reception has been elevated to "mixed". Bracing ourselves for the worst, the revelation is that The Lone Ranger is actually a cracking film, that does not deserve its fate as the latest high profile flop.

Yes, the $250 million dollar budget screams extravagance, and the two-and-a-half- hour runtime seems bloated. This is typical of a Hollywood bubble that seems in danger of bursting, as studios continue to green light expensive sequels and reboots that absorb money and frequently fail to make a significant return. The length is not a problem; it remains interesting throughout, and the last sequence is almost a little too action packed.

What sets The Lone Ranger apart is that it is seriously old school cinema. The Lone Ranger himself, with his white Stetson, domino mask and strict moral code, is an iconic American character, first appearing in 1930s radio serials, and more famously in the 1950s television series. The latest incarnation is directed by Gore Verbinski, who knows a thing or two about working with Johnny Depp. The man who brought swashbuckling sagas back to our screens is an appropriate choice to resurrect one of the earliest Western heroes.

Trailers featured behind the scenes footage, seeking to make us aware that this film eschews total reliance on CGI, instead opting to perform many of the most impressive stunts for real. There are some particularly breathtaking sequences involving trains; the story is set against the backdrop of the transcontinental railway, the completion of which is relocated to reconstruction-era Texas.

The film provides compelling back stories and character arcs for both the Lone Ranger and Tonto. From the character's inception, The Lone Ranger was instilled with a strong set of principles, and this is how John Reid, the man who will become the Ranger, starts his journey: as a man of virtue but naivety, who believes in the law, and more importantly, a powerful sense of justice. This is challenged powerfully over the course of the film; Reid must carve himself a new justice as he comes to term with the faults in the system, and its ineffectuality in the lawless West.

Tonto's after Cavendish for different reasons, seeking atonement for the mistakes of his past. There's silver in them there hills, and the location of a rich vein was unwittingly revealed to Cavendish by a young Tonto. This folly cost the boy dearly: Cavendish murdered Tonto's entire village to keep the location a secret. Unable to come to terms with this act of brutality, Tonto convinced himself that the outlaw is a wendigo, a cannibal demon.

Much like other films that revive a beloved franchise, The Lone Ranger spends its time with tongue firmly planted in cheek, and is packed full of tip-of-the-hat homage. This nostalgia trip rubs off the generation that grew up with the classic incarnations, who are waiting for a cry of "Hi-yo Silver, away!" or a rousing rendition of William Tell Overture, both of which are delivered, and wisely held back until the finale.

The choice of the relatively unknown Hammer to play the Lone Ranger preserves some of the mystery of the character that might have been difficult with a familiar Hollywood face. Hammer handles the role with the good natured comic charm of Brendan Fraser in The Mummy (1999). As this is a Lone Ranger who is still learning the ropes of heroism, the casting allows Tonto to step into the limelight and spend more time driving the story.

Johnny Depp gives a typically quirky performance as Tonto. There's plainly something of a certain pirate captain coming through in the character's mannerisms, but Tonto's spirituality and raison d'être are different enough from Jack Sparrow's love of mammon and the bottle to keep the interpretation original.

With focus on the relationship between the two leads, secondary characters have limited screen time, and are underdeveloped. But the cast is rounded out nicely. An unrecognisable William Fichtner is suitably despicable as the cannibalistic Butch Cavendish and Helena Bonham Carter shows up as a brothel madam. The Lone Ranger has truly been a highlight of the summer film calendar. It manages to be both a traditional western that captures the spirit of old Hollywood, and revisionist in its interpretation of the characters. Don't listen to the critics on this one.
  48. Sep 2, 2013

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  49. Aug 30, 2013
    It might be overly long and weird (the rabbits...still doesn't make any sense), but the film is still entertaining. Johnny Depp is the best in the film and he makes the film entertaining. Without his presence the film gets overly boring. I felt as if the main character was a baby- he just whined the whole time and never really did anything SUPER heroic. No wonder why they put Johnny Depp's name all over it. Johnny saves the movie with his fantastic acting and comedic performance. The films music (by fantastic composer Hans Zimmer) is perfect and the action is awesome along with its eye popping visual effects. This film is weird, but entertainingly good. Expand
  50. Aug 28, 2013
    This would have been the worst movie Ive seen in years. Depp, you should be ashamed of yourself. No continuity, no real story line, and I left before the movie was even 3/4 through.
    Not anything could have saved it.
  51. Aug 25, 2013
    A masterpiece!! Epic!! Perfection!!!! One of the best live action films ever made!!! Do not listen to anyone and watch it!!!! You will really enjoy it!!!!
  52. Aug 22, 2013
    As Bender would say, Lone Ranger is simply fun on a bun.

I'm not entirely sure what critics were expecting to see here, but it's clear they had the wrong head on. The plot is somewhat disjointed, but I fail to see that as a negative. If anything TLR does a more than worthy job of plotting the narrative of many different characters as the film steers toward the end. It's all predictable
    stuff, but, honestly, wasn't POTC? I fail to see how this is in any way inferior.

Depp, of course, is the main draw. He was always going to be. He more than makes up for the particularly weak portrayal of Lone Ranger, an actor I can only describe as some Brendon Fraser wannabe.

The laughs aren't abundant, nor are they clever, but Depp still delivers them with charm.

The runtime causes for some fatigue, and I would say there was a generally long section of desert crawling which could have been cut. And the anecdotal way the story was told at the beginning detracted the meaning somewhat.

Still, a very fun film. Far more bearable than The Man of Steel.
  53. Aug 22, 2013
    Not bad, but not stellar. Johnny Depp is the main drive, even though the whole script is convoluted and it's pacing droning on. But you can see it once and like it, see it twice and be done with it.
  54. Aug 22, 2013
    Amusing little movie, once again completely carried by Johnny Depp.
    Whether it'd be a pirate head or Native American feather, his repertoire is starting to go stale and more the same.
    Please, Disney and Depp, go back to the drawing board and find us once again an amazing story with a whole new acting experience.
  55. Aug 20, 2013
    My wife and I, who both grew up in the 50s with the TV series, absolutely loved this movie. We are admittedly Johnny Depp fans and knew from the expert reviews that we would most probably love this movie, as we rarely agree with the stiff collared professional hacks. The movie had obvious flaws like dangling plots, corny puns and character deviations from it's puritanical routes of the radio series but succeeded in it's primary goal of pure entertainment. Lighten up folks this movie will be a cult classic. Expand
  56. Aug 20, 2013
    This film was absolutely fantastic! Not only did the film appeal to children but to all audiences by its great use of mild gore, adventurous action and tasteful humor. From thrilling fight scenes to sad death scenes, the film has you feel a great range of emotions.

This film is wrongly criticized by many critics, I cannot believe anyone has rated this film bellow an 8!

it is a must
    watch film

GO AND WATCH IT!
  57. Aug 15, 2013
    A movie gets hated by critics by loved by me let me say the action the soundtrack and the whole style of the movie was great Johnny Depp shines a light as Tonto great with humour and Armie Hammer as the lone ranger he was good little stupid at times but still it just a movie the only downside to this is red just get her out of the film a together get if you like pirates 1 2 3 & 4 just leave this movie alone Expand
  58. Aug 12, 2013
    Gritty and entertaining, but the lone ranger suffers from cheesy dialogue and an uncreative story, but if you are looking for a two and a half hour thrill ride look no further
  59. Aug 10, 2013
    This one has some funny moments thanks to Johnny Depp but is too heavy-handed with the slapstick action escapes. I also detested the title character a bit more than perhaps the writers intended or would have wanted, since it kept me from engaging more with the film.
  60. Aug 10, 2013
    I went to see this film with pretty low expectations, thanks to the panning Lone Ranger has had from the critics. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film. I mean, yes it's a bit predictable at times, and it is a long film (although I didn't really notice that during the film I think if I were to watch it again it would feel too long and overly padded). But it is also really entertaining. My friends and I laughed a lot during the film and we all came out of the cinema having enjoyed the film. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't going to take the plot too seriously but just wants to have fun for a couple of hours. Expand
  61. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is funny and good.I can't believe the critics hate this movie I mean this movie is great especially If Johnny Depp is in the movie.
  62. Aug 4, 2013
    This is a horrendous movie and it's relatively poor box office return reflects that. The main problem is the poor storyline, which tries to cover so many bases, that it has no structure and is total nonsense. This film could have either been a comic buddy story, such as Starsky and Hutch, or a more profound story looking at the interaction between Native Americans and settlers through the relationship of the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The fact it tries to cover both and more leads to confusion. The lead performances are not great. Armie Hammer lacks presence and comic sensibility as the Lone Ranger, whereas Johnny Depp is unintelligible as a mumbling, halting version of Jack Sparrow. However, the support cast, in particular Tom Wilkinson and Helena Bonham-Carter, are good. I suspect, there will be no sequel, but I also think there will be no reboot, certainly not in the near future. Who thought that the world was waiting for $215mn Lone Ranger blockbuster? Expand
  63. Aug 4, 2013
    The lone Ranger Is Great and wonderful film and the dialog is sharp, and humorous, the special effects are very good
    I don't know why the critics are negative
  64. Aug 1, 2013
    Having seen the critics give it a good bashing, I figured "heck it couldn't be that bad", especially with Johnny Depp at the helm. Sadly, It was actually worst than what critics made it out to be. I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of it. The acting is simply laughable, Depp's role as Tonto was just god awful and easily the worst part of the film. And it doesn't really help that Depp/Tonto was pushed into the star role ahead of Hammer/Lone Ranger either.

Also, Wasn't this suppose to be a film aimed towards children? I mean it's by Disney and the people behind Pirates so you figured it'd be aimed to be more of a family film instead of a flat out action film filled with terrible jokes that were stale as hell! Instead we have the fun of witnessing 3 people brutally murdered in the beginning of the film. Not to mention people getting guns pushed into their face every 5 god damn seconds. This is NOT the kind of movie that you would take your young children to.

Overall, It was simply a joke of a film. I am so disappointed. I expected far better based off the trailers and this was simply garbage. I would be upset if I had actually wasted money to watch it.
  65. Aug 1, 2013
    The Lone Ranger has good moments, but overall it is a film chalk full of pacing problems, blatant racism, and confusing flashbacks. The film starts off hot with an unbelievably cool train action scene. I found myself wondering why the critics had been so harsh on the pacing of the film, and then the next hour and twenty minutes occurred. In blatant terms, it was slow. The movie ends with another amazing action scene, but the middle drags on for an overwhelming length. Johnny Depp does not produce his best work here. Instead of portraying Tonto correctly, intelligent with a hint of crazy, he played him at times idiotic and down right stupid. Depp made the entirety of the Native American people look dumb, and because of it came across racist. Lastly, what were the flashbacks about? Why did we need to see Tonto as an old man, and what was the symbolism at the end? I missed it completely... The Lone Ranger will go down as one of the biggest box office flops of the summer, and after viewing it is understandable. Expand
  66. Jul 31, 2013
    Another disney film with a star studded cast. It tries to bring back some of the companies glory days but fails miserably. But has some good humor in it.
  67. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie tends to get sour ratings. But, personally, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean the action was kind of null at some points, but this movie deserves at least a 6.5.
  68. Jul 29, 2013
    All the character are competent and capable when they need to be but then there drooling idiots later Story is bad the Lone Ranger is a sad disappointment
  69. Jul 28, 2013
    Gore Verbinski showcased his status as Disney's go-to guy for summer blockbusters by collaborating once again with his long time favorite actor Johnny Depp, but this time dressing him up as a native American rather than his usual pirate attire. However, while trying to deliver a fun, witty and smart film that pays tribute to the original source material, Verbinski fell short in these aspects. As much as I enjoyed the Pirates of the Carribean movies, I felt that this movie could have been handled in a better way.
    Overall, the jokes felt flat, the story was predictable, the action sequences were alright, and the musical scoring was dull. Go into this movie expecting Pirates of the Carribean level quality, and you'll leave feeling cheated of that expectation.
  70. Jul 27, 2013
    To save this movie from the horrid reviews of critics, I felt the need to make a review myself, I promise I'll try to make it brief (this is my first review, mind you).

Fist off, if you are an average person, then do NOT trust the critics' review on this one. The Lone Ranger is an entertaining, and action-packed adaptation from the mid-50's television show. I wouldn't say this would be
    a "family" movie, considering all of the brief, but disturbing content.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, and couldn't be happier to go to the movies. I was, however, a bit surprised at how long the running time was (not including credits). The Lone Ranger is one of my favorite Disney movies to date. Heck, it's one of my favorite movies in general. An all-round fun and exciting movie.
  71. Jul 26, 2013
    Not as bad as critics make it out remember the story is told through an old Tonto, hence the "Unreliable Narrator" formula common in literature.

The film's score would have been in the 80s if the middle 30 minutes were removed.
  72. Jul 25, 2013
    Johnny Depp has been all downhill since 21 Jump Street. He's not a good actor, he just plays the same quirky weirdo in every movie. I just don't think the Lone Ranger resonates with many people these days. Horses, trains, what? I did enjoy Armie Hammer though.
  73. Jul 25, 2013
    I genuinely really enjoyed this movie. One of the most enjoyable and touching films I have seen in a long time. Johnny Depp was spectacular. There was always something happening behind his eyes and straight from the get go, the first time you see him on screen for this film you know youll be in for a touching journey.

Johnny Depps character shares only a few traits similiar to Jack
    Sparrow but the characters are completely different.

I liked this film so much I looked up the Johnny Depp interviews for this. That's when I noticed all the bad reviews.

I have never seen the original Lone Ranger so I have nothing to compare this to. I believe this may be where alot of people are being swayed with how they feel.

As seen with many Johnny Depp roles, he brings his own flavour and spice to the role. He unapologetically brings his own version of the character to life.

I have never reviewed a movie before but I liked this movie enough that I created an account so I could write a review and have my say. The Lone Ranger is a great movie, lay down any expectations of how you want it to be like the original TV Series decades ago and sit back and enjoy a really enjoyable and touching film.

Watch it for yourself ignore the critics and form your own opinion.
  74. Jul 24, 2013
    The performances are good, but the story is uninteresting and completely illogical, action kicks in and its kinda fun, humor is way overused and the movie is absurdly large, not as bad as critics say but it's not that good either.
  75. Jul 24, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is an awesome movie that do what it suppose to do, entratain. Even being a 2.5 hours movie it does not feel like it as its filled with great action and fun moment. Armie Hammer has been totally underrated on his films but he does a great job as an action/humor actor.

The lone ranger it's something like Pirates of the Caribbean on trains, only with likable characters and
    awesome comedy. You will love the three main characters (Lone Ranger, Tonto and Silver) as they do a match made in heaven. Will be waiting for the Home release of this film. Expand
  76. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How any one could give this movie positive reviews is beyond me, at least the box office receipts and word of mouth show the truth about this movie and not the opinion of people who are entertained by a man walking around with a dead bird on his head.

Well there was one silver bullet, and did I see him ride a horse on top of and through a moving train?
  77. Jul 22, 2013
    Hate to disagree, but this movie is a finely tuned work of art. It puts together the best elements of this story and adds in some historical significance of how Native Americans were treated during that sad part of our country's history. Plus, there has been some excellent attention to details like Native American humor and Native American perspective. Of course it is a fairy tale, but it has all of the beauty of the best tales as well as great action, human drama, hilarious comedy, and a very good 'moral of the story'.

Uneducated critics like Mick LaSalle have no business critiquing a fine film like this. They just don't have the knowledge or the sense to understand anything above the level of Hangover part III.
  78. Jul 22, 2013
    "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" was panned by some critics (most notably at first Judith Crist) and had its champions like Pauline Kael. Now, over forty years since its release, this Western was my favorite of all time. Now it is a close second. "The Lone Ranger" is that good. Why critics panned the movie, including it is too long, is beyond me. It needed the last thirty minutes. When you see it you will have no question about that.

So it is that this marvelous imaginary Western takes its place as the story of how The Lone Ranger began. And shows again that Johnny Depp has no peer in film today. Wistful, fascinating, making the viewer wonder where the Imax version is and why after so much spent the film was not shot in Imax (maybe it was), this movie is at the top technological film making. Not one breath is wasted. Not one effect. And not one piece of humor.

So truly authentic you can imagine if you ever heard "Hi Yo, Silver! Away!" that this was the first it was said.

A pure 10. Do not miss this movie.
  79. Jul 22, 2013
    I'm sure there's a reason there hasn't been a Lone Ranger film for about thirty years. After seeing this, I know the reason why. Though Depp and Hammer are acceptable as leads and have some good chemistry between them and Tom Wilkinson is fitting as a villain, that isn't enough to save this film from bland and boring acting, a garbage script and storyline, numerous plot holes and CGI that's laughable at best. All we know is, due to the rather poor box office earnings of this film, we won't be seeing a Lone Ranger for another thirty years, and I'm quite happy for that. Expand
  80. Jul 21, 2013
    I can't understand why this movie got so many rotten critic reviews. Because of those reviews, I had to have my arm twisted in order to see it, and, boy am I glad I saw it! It is a truly clever and funny movie, it never drags, and it has a strong ending. Easily my favorite movie of the year so far.
  81. Jul 21, 2013
    It's very 'Pirates' but that's not a bad thing as I was obviously highly entertained Visually there is plenty here to keep you amused and thanks to characters like Depp and Hammer you are never bored. As long as you keep reminding yourself not to take it too seriously you should enjoy this movie like I did. It is probably a little longer than it should be but other than that there is little to pick on what is pretty much nothing but a fun ride of a film! Expand
  82. Jul 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is a treat when Hollywood decides to remake an icon that has been in society's core for decades. The Lone Ranger has been seen both in TV and in books for children. From memory, the legend of the Lone Ranger was about a masked outlaw who was a heroic idol against crime and corruption in the Wild West, aided by his Indian sidekick Tonto. Gore Verbinski's take on such a figure seems more or less inclined to flip the coin. This is hardly surprising, Johnny Depp, in a supporting role? Horsehockey! The man can immerse himself into any role. He very well could have played the Lone Ranger (despite his age), but appears more suited in out of the ordinary characters like Tonto. I am sure some people will find it offensive that a white man portrays an Indian (it has been done before). Even so, Depp brings a fresh breath in his performance as Tonto. He is matter-of-fact, the voice of reason in the movie, and yet funny with his dead pet bird and deadpan delivery of one-liners.

Armie Hammer as John Reid, later dubbed the Lone Ranger kind of blends into the background. He is not a bad actor (just watch him in The Social Network), but he feels out of place here. This is most likely because Depp has such a strong screen presence that Hammer lacks. Armie needs more time before he can make it to the caliber of Depp. It is also because of how his character was written for the film. Instead of the gallant vigilante American citizens have come to see the Lone Ranger as, he performs as a clumsy, inexperienced, die hard, pacifist law man. Some of his unexpected incidents at times can rival the nature of a bumbling police officer from a Monty Python skit. I should give the writers and his character some credit though, every hero starts out somewhere. His just happens to be a lucky and unlucky fool. Two hours later into the movie though, he finally gets his act together as he takes on an army of bad guys on two separate moving trains heading towards destruction.

The supporting cast is pretty good. William Fitchner plays a great villain who has a hard-on for killing men and eating hearts (yes his character is that vile). Tom Wilkinson meshes in as a decent, crooked businessman, Ruth Wilson is a fine-looking damsel in distress, and the clever quirks of Helena Bonham Carter as a one-legged prostitute in an outrageous wig and costume plays out nicely. I just wished they have Carter more screen time. Her character is just that much fun. The plot itself is quite generic. Good versus bad, justice vs. corruption, greed vs love, good narrative versus clichés, twists vs. predictability, etcetera, etcetera. But for its 149 minutes, it drags. I wouldn't quite say it was boring, it just felt long, which is quite shocking for a Gore Verbinski film-his movies no matter their length always fly by. The interludes of fantastic, CGI-laden action sequences help break the slowness without being overbearing like so many action flicks today.

The production qualities really help this film. The cinematography is absolutely stunning; the master shots of Monument Valley is awe-inspiring, no doubt bringing back memories of the old John Ford films. The music score has a slight mix of Spaghetti Western meets "Pirates of the Caribbean". But most of it feels original and echoes both the bombastic heroism and emptiness of the violent, barren landscapes. On a side note, the William Tell Orchestra is cued for the final action sequence. Old fans of the TV show will certainly get a kick out of this. The set pieces and costumes are exquisite and the make-up design for all the characters is phenomenal. I can only imagine how many hours Depp had to spend in the make-up chair for old Tonto.

Overall, "The Lone Ranger" is all not that terrible. It probably received bad ratings because it did not old up to their high standards of originality and a great actor playing the Lone Ranger. Instead, this is a fun, generic, action flick with Johnny Depp at a masterful level. I am pretty biased. I will see Mr. Depp in any movie, no matter what make up or costume he wears. 7/10
  83. Jul 19, 2013
    I would see it again My boys are running around pretending to be the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The action was great and the characters comical. Johnny Depp is always entertaining in anything he does. Disney did not disappoint in this BIG time old fashioned family fun movie we all enjoyed!
  84. Jul 18, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is a great movie, and it shows what a great cast can do to go beyond the stereotypical scripts of yesteryear, and give a populist hero, and a tragic, yet funny, native American, who finally can tell the story of his friend. Great special effects, and a period dress, which is remarkable. Now I know why Johnny Depp made a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean; so, he could do a gritty movie, which they could afford to make based on the proceeds of the PotC series. I don't expect everyone to like the movie or even understand it. That is what makes it a better movie. Expand
  85. Jul 18, 2013
    The tone veers from comedy to drama, with both genres badly written in another example of why Johnny Depp should work with directors than can say no. Depp's claims of presenting a positive representation of a Native American Indian character seem absurd on reflection, when he has delivered nothing more than a blackface performance that borders on racism. Verbinski's direction is straight out of parts two and three of the Pirates franchise and the assumption must be that Disney execs will soon lose their jobs with another bomb to follow John Carter. The only redeeming feature is Silver the horse, who deserves his own spin off series. The Lone Ranger himself is reduced to being a feeble joke figure with which the hapless Hammer can do nothing. The worst kind of Hollywood filmmaking. Expand
  86. Jul 17, 2013
    Great movie. I swear to god reviewers are trash..if it's not Oscar-bait they call it trash and people latch on to the reviews which just aren't made for us. It's a fun, summer, action movie made Disney style and it does it's job very well. If you can't handle that then the movie isn't for you but it has lots of great action sequences, memorable characters and some very funny parts.
    You
    have to take into account critics have their own individual taste for things like we all do but they do it with a gigantic oscar statue shaped plug up their butt. It's like prominent criticsjust pick and choose movies to jeer(and I think Bruckheimer is a big target for the way they make their movies) and then all smaller subsidiary review sites look at them and say the same thing for fear they're not doing their job right. I can't believe critics who hated this film are praising Pacific Rim..a wholly unoriginal concept and not a remarkably well-done movie.

There needs to be a way where real people who like mainstream things can let our opinions be recognized more than just a user section on review sites. Make decisions for yourselves sometimes people..don't wait for artsy fartsy turds to give you their opinion..if it seems like you might like it then give it a try..I'm sure you blow money on much worse things.
  87. Jul 16, 2013
    While I do not hate The Lone Ranger as much as the critics do I still did not love it. The movie had some good laughs, fun scenes, and a nice performance by Johnny Depp; but the interesting characters and story along with an unnecessary 2 hour running time prevent me from recommending this film to anyone. If you wind up seeing this movie though it is not terrible but at the same time there are more entertaining movies out right now that you could be seeing like Despicable Me 2 (which I have softened up a bit on), Monsters University (which made me smile a lot), and Pacific Rim & World War Z (which I have heard are really good). Or you could save up your money for the Wolverine. Again not a terrible movie I mean it is watchable but you can afford to skip this one. Expand
  88. Jul 16, 2013
    I and everyone I know loved this movie, no matter what their age. Some even put it in their top ten. It was funny, well acted, informative (sad to remind people that Native Americans were treated exactly like that by both the greedy 'railroad people' and the military), exciting and all around entertaining. I and the rest of the audience laughed at so much of the creative dialogue. Kudos to the writers. I had read about it being 'boring' mid movie. It never happened. The professional critics expected it to be the old radio or TV series rehashed. Fortunately, it is not. It was a new, wonderful, all around enjoyable movie. PLEASE let there be a sequel... Expand
  89. Jul 16, 2013
    The thing that made this movie so bad for me was the depressing contstant stream of good people getting killed by the bad guys, before they finally get their comeuppance in the end, including a whole village of Indians. When they show the bad guy slapping a little kid, that was the end for me. Meanwhile Tonto is some deranged mental case with a crow on his head, and the Lone Ranger is played stupidly like the main character in Green Hornet, which toatlly ruined that movie. Thumbs down! Expand
  90. Jul 15, 2013
    We went to see the Lone Ranger again. I liked it more the second time. The different emotions it envokes through out the movie, is a wide range and lots of laughter.
  91. Jul 14, 2013
    What a way to politically correct a film, Amazing what came with the PG-13 rating. A fully engaging movie. I think Disney did a good job with its stars but I almost skipped the movie because of the explicit use of Jonny Depp in their movies and this looked like a what if pirates of the Caribbean meets the desert version of pirates of the Caribbean.
  92. Jul 14, 2013
    The Lone Ranger...hated by critics...loved my me!
    If you like Johnny Depp you will like this movie, if you liked the Pirates of the Caribbean, you will like this movie. Granted, Johnny Depp is not Jay Silverheels and Armie Hammer is not Clayton Moore. Although I watch the TV series faithfully as a child, I believe I enjoyed Johnny Depp's adaptation of Tonto better,, his is strange,, but
    he does make me laugh.
    If you want a few laughs, and perhaps some "near" tears, go check out The Lone Ranger. Forget what the critics say...give it a try.
  93. Jul 14, 2013
    2 and a half hour movie that could and should be a hour and a half hour movie. They try to make the mask a symbol but fail trying. And by the end im not even sure who im rooting for.
  94. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can say what you want about critics and I say plenty, but the got it right this time.

Spoiler alert: If you haven't seen it, I get into plot below.. so read at your own risk.

Overall, the movie had some redeeming qualities, but generally it was just pretentious and overdone.

I thought the villains were not atypical of a greedy corporate wonk and the dirty lowdown scoundrel you find in these kinds of pictures. Relatively predictable, but much more extreme than it needed to be (a bad dude that eats body parts.... really...kind of sickening). The actual premise of the movie and how it unfolded was pretty good from the Tonto perspective but completely lacking from the Lone Ranger perspective. James Badge Dale as the Lone Ranger's brother was credible as was his wife, actress Ruth Wilson. Even the notion of a long past "triangle" between the 3 of them had the makings of a good twist even though it pretty much was meaningless beyond the reason the sheriff had him go with him to what would be the ambush.

But the notion of a "come back to Texas" lawyer who shuns guns being the lone ranger is pretty stupid, frankly. A "justice seeking local prosecutor turned vigilante because his sheriff brother got killed in an ambush that was part of a bigger conspiracy" would have been plenty of back story. Sheesh.. it didn't have to get stupid with the dude shunning guns and generally being an idiotic coward. Remember, this is supposed to be about the "larger than life" Lone Ranger.

Then there was the whole railroad invading Indian lands with the bad gang pretending the Comanches were invading local settlements thing. That was ok... in fact, it's a well heeled but twistable plot that did get some twists. Not too bad. But, then there's the savage Indians getting cut down by the cavalry that was so prosaic it made you wonder if you were all of a sudden in a Michael Moore documentary. Completely unnecessary and unjustifiable violence with no point and with no real additional value to the story. Better would have been the Lone Ranger and Tonto actually saving that... as the character and the show was built in that vane rather than slaughter em all social commentary.

Armie Hammer who played the Lone Ranger was lacking, although I think it was more about the script and some guy confusing the Lone Ranger with "Dudley Do-Right" of the Canadian Mounties. Entirely too "clean and wholesome" to have grown up in Texas and entirely too naive to have been the Lone Ranger. The character did not develop at all and then when the Lone Ranger went into action at the end paying homage to the comic book and TV series heroics (which I thought was cute as heck) it left you wondering what had happened. A better actor was needed to play the give and take with Johnny Depp. Not to the level of the "Sheriff" brother who was hardened and wise etc, but something better than some silly city flatfoot; it's an insult to the name of the Lone Ranger. Somebody like Chris Evans (who played Captain America in the Avengers and "The Flame" in the Fantastic 4), or Jeremy Renner who has played in everything from the Avengers and GI Joe and who has the capacity to play a good guy gone back who goes good again. Somebody who had a little dirt under his fingernails. The scene where Depp is trying to draw the "spirit horse" who would be Silver, to the Sheriff was a perfect setup for the transformation that would be the Lone Ranger through the collaboration of the due. But, alas, it never came to be.

Not without merit, I really do think that Johnny Depp played a very good Tonto and some of his stunts were great. I also thought the compliment of actors who played the Comanche were fantastic, albeit, in a limited role. Likewise, the premise of the story, an ancient Tonto found in a circus sideshow in the 1930's by a Lone Ranger worshiping boy (who would have been listening to the radio program back then, was brilliant. It was completely reminiscent of the "Buffalo Bill Wild West Show" idea that was very much alive and well in the 1930's and was a great add. Similarly, the horse, the silver bullet etc that were brought up in the story (the silver bullet coming from the silver in the ranger stars of his brother and the other rangers that were murdered) and the Horse being named Silver because of the silver mines the bad guys were trying to exploit from the Indians... perfection. As was the horse, which I know some will think stupid, but Silver was as much of a star in the Lone Ranger saga as was Tonto and the man himself. The fact that Silver keeps showing up to help the other two "save the day" was a fantastic way to add some humorous twists and it worked well (must have been Tim Burton and Depp on those). Similarly "Red" played by Helena Bohnam Carter was a great side character that played a key role.

The ingredients were all there. Some of it even came through, but sadly, the movie as a whole flopped
  95. Jul 13, 2013
    My husband and I really enjoyed this movie! We are admittedly Depp fans, but this was not Pirates of teh Carribean. This is a pretty heavy drama/action movie with a goodly amount of comic relief. There is more gore than I would prefer, but the dialog and story are good. I am glad the campy nod to the TV series with the William Tell overture playing was at the end and short. It is not the old series, no more than the Batman movies were the original comic book version of the story. I thought the way the story was told was spot on, and the scenery and effects very good. I wish the trailers had left more surprises for you, many of the best scenes are already partially revealed. Some people may be bothered by what I thought were serious political overtones to the Indian/settlers/railroad/cavalry relationships but i was glad that was brought out. Depp is brilliant, Hammer was very good in his quirky clean-cut straight role, I thought they were an excellent juxtaposition. relax- I don't like most 4 star movies anyway because they are rarely any fun! Enjoy and don't be so serious! Expand
  96. Jul 13, 2013
    I would not recomend this movie to anyone, I found it to be redundent in it's continued attack on white people. I also think that there is nothing wrong with progress and it seemed to me that progress was attacked. There is something wrong with the Lone Ranger being portrayed as a bumbling boob that needs the guidance of Tonto to put on his gun belt. I bet the makers of this movie won't give any of the world wide profits to any of the Indian Nations tht they so happly exploited in this stinker. Don't let your children watch this POS. Expand
  97. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Lone Ranger effectively made me felt something I have not felt for some time: that awful feeling of having sunk in money to buy tickets to an otherwise lackluster film.

Johnny Depp here was (supposedly) a secondary character to Hammer's protagonist role, but it seems that the director felt that the film should receive the Pirates charm, and asked him to bring Jack Sparrow front and center in his portrayal. As a result you get all the mannerisms of Sparrow sans the eloquence of the British pirate; the familiar behavior of doing random things as part of a larger plan afoot, the manipulation of people around him for his own goals, the oddities of being mad but secretly brilliant. It made audiences laugh, but this isn't Pirates. The comedy in both Pirates and here was supposed to be icing on the cake, but here the icing covered the cake and pretentiously tried to pass on as the cake itself. Depp was supposed to be background, complementing not overshadowing Hammer.

Hammer on the other hand, gave a decent portrayal, if somewhat limited by the screenwriter's need to put Depp front and center, and the movie's generally bumpy efforts in presenting a story. The movie could be summed up in two themes: Upholding justice by the book vs. vigilantism, and revenge or redemption for past sins. Straightforward themes that writers surprisingly took their time milking out to the detriment of pacing and boring audiences badly. When you do get to some of the fleshy part of the story, its actually quite shallow, piecemeal and sometimes outright nonsensical.

This poor pacing issue even infected the action scenes. Never have I seen action scenes so boring despite the amount of napalm being thrown around. And that's because before any scene begins. there isn't a lot of tension being twisted to set up for the scene. When it plays, there is no discernible story to be told, no underlying struggle or emotion that the director is trying to show here. All it serves is to show off Jack Sparrow in a Western setting, coupled with that freakish white horse, and John Reid's awkward efforts of delivering civilised justice, followed by improbable aiming skills with a single shot. In short, the scenes were alien, not even trying to be integral to the story.

One good thing that should be noted was the chemistry between the leading duo. You get the sense of both characters representing what the underlying themes are, and the struggles of being an effective duo here is played somewhat decently, if not sometimes mired by the and giggles that were sometimes too distracting.

The use of flashback and unreliable narrator tropes here actually serves no purpose in the movie at all. The point of using them here was to supposedly show off Tonto's supernatural abilities, that certain missing parts of the story were actually out of divine/supernatural origins. Quite distracting, and frankly a waste of time that could have been used to flesh out a bit more back story, like that of John Reid and that forgettable damsel-in-distress character, which was placed there as a stereotypical damsel-in-distress given how shallow her characterisation was.

In short, if you enjoy turning off your brain at the door of the theater walking in, or you like to see Depp as Jack Sparrow in a Western, or indulge in occasional nonsensical slapstick comedy mixed with average action scenes, go ahead and watch, Otherwise save up your money for more decent films, or at least rent this movie if you're so tempted to watch, coz really, I don't want to even recommend it as a matinee.
  98. Jul 12, 2013
    I've been an an avid movie goer for several decades now and usually go to see 95% of everything that gets produced by Hollywood and the Europeans even the genres I do not personally like such as rowdy teenage sex comedies and slasher movies... I have seen the Ranger two times by now and what still surprises me is this unexpected, almost involuntary delight that filled me as soon as the movie started and made me smile all the way through until the very end, on the one hand, and mass demonization of a great movie by each one of those 13.5 constipated critics, on the other hand. I can understand if you didn't like a complex message of the movie, a different image of your idol heroes, violent undertones of the background story, too much conversation vs non-stop action that we come to expect after seeing all those never ending super-action flicks, even if you secretly never liked Johhny Depp after all, but COME ON! Looking at the critics ratings on this site including, you might think it's the worst movie among those listed... Let me tell you that I HAVE seen almost all of those and in my opinion only a couple of them come close to the level of quality Ranger has. I'll tell you why. 1) Ranger was made by a talented team of Verbinski, Depp and the crew who publicly admitted it was not just one of those sequels they were aiming to produce. It was an important and challenging job for all of them and they invested their talent, skills and vision into the movie on the level they had not done for a long time. It clearly shows and powers the spiritual strength of the movie's magic atmosphere that grabs you tight and carries you through the movie making you an emotional participant in every piece of action. Audiences get so drawn in, that they talk to the characters aloud, cry out in joy and despair and regularly applaud Tinto, Ranger, Silver and hiss at Butch. Apart from kid's movies, I could not remember ever seeing such a reaction from the audience. That in itself is a characteristic of an authentic piece of art. 2) It is one of the most beautiful, heartfelt, sad, funny, smart, disconcerting, train crashing and mind-blowing movies this year. When did you see such an impossible combination last? How on earth did they do that, all I want to know. 3) It's a new look at the genre of a western, you might even say Verbinksi and Depp created a new genre, a western with multi-layered contents, funny characters and jaw dropping action scenes. As far as I could understand this is what the so-called critics found especially irritating. An unusual combination, but since when has a new take on the old model become an artistic weakness, not a strength? It works wonderfully and leaves you just amazed by the scope of the design and implementation skill. 3) It's a device of intellectual depth but it does not feel intellectual. It feels popcorn, easy-going, laugh- out-loud and gasp at the action entertainment. Which it certainly is. God bless the creators for such a unique movie going experience. Under-appreciated or not, a good movie never gets forgotten by the grateful spectators!! Expand
  99. Jul 12, 2013
    The movie was very boring, it has no story, what is the massage of it, too long and on the top of all that it looks like it is a big mess. i really think that people give this movie a good rating because they feel sorry for it.
  100. Jul 11, 2013
    This was a very cool movie, an do loved it very much. I have always loved the lone ranger, and armie played him very well. Johnny depp also portrayed to to quite well. Tis movie satisfied me very well and I hope there will be a sequel equally as good.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 8, 2013
    The Lone Ranger is content to simply pull another western trope out of the bag – the honky-tonk whorehouse, the ranch raid, the cavalry charge – give it a CGI spit-and-polish, and chuck it in the general direction of the audience. The result is frustrating, lazy and lifeless.
  2. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Aug 5, 2013
    Talk about a pleasant surprise! Real storytelling, well thought-out and beautifully, at times insanely, executed, with excitement, laughs and fun to make you feel seven years old again.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Jul 29, 2013
    Ultimately, it’s not as awful as "Wild Wild West." But we’ll hazard a guess that Pirates 5 can’t come quick enough for Bruckheimer or Depp.