5.8

1. J.B.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Painful pacing and bad stand up made this unbearable to watch. The wife, child, assistant, and the two state dept employees are all over-simplified one dimensional characters. Brooks' clumsy attempts at 'research' are frustratingly inept, which made me mad for such a good premise to be wasted.
  2. PaulC.
    Jan 26, 2006
    As one of the industry reviews above clearly states..India isn't a Muslim country It's a secular state, though predominantly Hindu and Sikh Despite the secular nature, there's one religion that definately DOES NOT describe India - and that's Muslim ! Partition was a painful and deadly process process - one that this "comedian" seems blisfully unaware of. Are As one of the industry reviews above clearly states..India isn't a Muslim country It's a secular state, though predominantly Hindu and Sikh Despite the secular nature, there's one religion that definately DOES NOT describe India - and that's Muslim ! Partition was a painful and deadly process process - one that this "comedian" seems blisfully unaware of. Are American's that un-worldly as to just put all other religions in the "other" pile ? As for this (lets face it MASSIVE) error the film itself : Well it's just not funny, I watched it for the first time not realising that it was supposed to be (having never heard of Mr Brookes before) As a review said 2 funny bits (just about funny enough to curl your mouth at the edges) I re-watched the film (on FF) and can agree ..it's 2 and only 2 very mildly funny bits in the whole fiasco of what boils down to one mans ego boost at the expense of everything else. This isn't satire - it's self indulgence on a grand and entirely unfoundable scale. If I could give this film a minus score I would. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2010
    I think there was something funny in this movie. I definitely remember **** at one point ... what was it??

Sorry ... I can seem to recall the 99.99% which wasn't in the slightest bit funny ... the parts which were almost embarrassing to the point of pain to view ... the parts which made me disgusted with my DVD purchase ... the parts which had me scanning the cover just to double-check that it actually said 'comedy' on there ... yes ... those parts i can recall. But the funny bit. The joke. I seem to have forgotten it. Shall i watch it again so i can find it?? Oh, no, that's right. I hacked the DVD into 1,000 pieces, mixed it with dog-dirt and fed it to the local pigs.

1. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Unfortunately, Brooks errs badly by having his film centered in India. Yes, India - which, as most people know, is not a predominantly Muslim country. Rather than look for comedy in the Muslim world, Brooks uses this film to make fun of contemporary Indian society.
  2. Reviewed by: DavidEdelstein
    Brooks is looking for comedy in all the wrong places. He's no longer his own White Whale. He's something slower, in a shell--his own turtle.
    This Brooks is a comedian who forgets the golden rule of "know your audience." He thinks he'll get his laughs if he keeps doing the same act with better lighting.