TriStar Pictures | Release Date: September 28, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 1479 Ratings
1,252
WATCH NOW
WalkingDead5640Jul 6, 2013
A great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his characterA great time travel movie with I think a bit of revenge flick thrown in there. The characters chemistry are perfect between the hero, the mother and the destined child and Bruce Willis is a stone cold killer, which you dislike his character from the start. It's a believable realistic future setting in which your engrossed into these people that when they get emotional or are put in a life or death situation you feel the moment so the ending was unexpected and sad, but understood the decision made with a meaningful action. Expand
HumptyRuMay 1, 2014
In fact it is one of the best movies I have watched. It entertains as lots of other movies but it also gives us a very serious message to think over. www.viewforum.net/movie-stunned-me-150/looper-2012-a-3852/
GentM2015Jun 13, 2015
Looper is so much more than the Trailers let you thinking and that you would hope.This movie has everything,it explains time travel in a perfect way,and the ending is so good.The acting is superb and you really get into thinking that JosephLooper is so much more than the Trailers let you thinking and that you would hope.This movie has everything,it explains time travel in a perfect way,and the ending is so good.The acting is superb and you really get into thinking that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really younger Bruce Willis.Jeff Daniels and Emily Blunt do a great job also.This movie is worth seeing,I loved it and I just can't believe that I haven't seen it earlier. Expand
gimmedatsammichSep 28, 2012
If you are a fan of high bodycount, ultra violent action movies and hopelessly dystopian visions of the future, and you don't care about silly little things like theme, or even a coherent message that teaches us something, ANYTHING about theIf you are a fan of high bodycount, ultra violent action movies and hopelessly dystopian visions of the future, and you don't care about silly little things like theme, or even a coherent message that teaches us something, ANYTHING about the human condition, look away. Stop reading right now. I warned you. Don't you dare thumb me down. This review is for people like me, people who like a little bit of hope and optimism in their movies, and are tired of cold blooded killers and ruthless criminals ("with a heart!", I can hear them saying) occupying the lead spots in supposedly intelligent, critically acclaimed (a term I have learned to take with a hefty grain of salt) movies. So, what makes this movie so bad? First of all, it doesn't have an original bone in its emaciated, cliche ridden body. If you've seen Blade Runner, or Twelve Monkeys, or even the awful remake of the awful adaption of the awful comic strip 2000 A.D., or hell, basically any movie made in the last seventy five years, you've seen Looper. People will think it's original because it's based around a mildly inventive, highly questionable gimmick- time traveling hitmen assassinating themselves- but in reality, it's blatantly, shamelessly derivative. There's even a scene where Jeff Daniel's character (Tom? Joe? Bill? Jesus? I can't even remember the guy's name) points out the movie's own fatal flaw, in which he chides JGL's drab, uninspired Hollywood wardrobe. Masterful bit of foreshadowing right there. Or perhaps a subtle jab at itself? Either way, I should have left the theater right then and there. Let's start a checklist. Why? It's fun and I'm lazy: Bleak vision of the future? Check. Exorbitantly powerful criminal empire? Check. Widespread poverty? Check. Totally ineffective/powerless government/police force? Check. Unbelievable, scientifically implausible technological advancements? Check. Low I.Q. henchmen with terrible aim, wielding nonsensical weapons (the ridiculous long barreled revolvers reminded me of the joke pistol the Joker uses in Tim Burton's "Batman"). Check. Drug addicted, shamelessly materialistic, callously indifferent populace? Check, check, and check. Beautiful, gentle Asian prostitute who saves the older Joe from a life of crime? Check. Faceless villain? Check. Complete lack of any likeable characters? Check. Convenient, contrived ending? Check. Sound familiar? Alright, enough checks. I'm tired, and all of this is skirting the real issue. "Looper" is the kind of garbage I'd expect out of a film school amateur, a kid who has yet to learn the single most important thing about storytelling: soul. As in, this movie has none. "Looper" left a bad taste in my mouth, and if you're anything like me, you'll be just as disgusted. Avoid at all costs. Expand
pdwlsnSep 30, 2012
I have three words.

SAVE YOUR MONEY! I am a big Bruce Willis fan and if that is why you are going to see this it is a big let down, 10 min was probably all he was in the movie. This movie was so slow it was hard not to fall asleep. My
I have three words.

10 min was probably all he was in the movie. This movie was so slow it was hard not to fall asleep. My husband did 3 times, I kept waiting for the good stuff to start. Then I realized the good parts were all shown in the trailers.

We were very disappointed to say the least. I would not even call this a good renter. We even checked the reviews and both views said go. Now I wonder if they wandered into the wrong theater. Bruce. You are a much better actor. How about a sequel to Reds?
rocklobOct 2, 2012
I dont like this movie. its too much like bladerunner and is not original at all. It was the biggest waste of 9 dollars and two hours of my life. No one should see this movie.
CitizenCharlieSep 30, 2012
Time travel is confusing. Once you think you may have a grasp on it and have ironed out the 'what-ifs', a new paradox will pop up and collapse your argument which was a house of cards anyways. There are too many holes, and especially plotTime travel is confusing. Once you think you may have a grasp on it and have ironed out the 'what-ifs', a new paradox will pop up and collapse your argument which was a house of cards anyways. There are too many holes, and especially plot holes, when you try to rationally reason through what it means to travel through time and change the past. Once time travel is invented, hasn't it always been invented then? If you go back in time and change something, will you just disappear because your specific future no longer exists?

Looper sidesteps this whole enigma by having old Joe (Bruce Willis) tell his younger self that there is no use trying to figure it all out; it will just confuse you. This one statement immediately smooths out the conversation he is having with young Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the audience's mental gymnastics, and while still leaving them right there in front of you, chooses to ignore the Grand Canyon sized plot holes. If you spend enough time with a pen and a sheet of paper, you will most likely identify a dozen or so glaring issues with jumping back through time, but where is the fun in that? With Looper, it is enough to recognize you have a creative story to watch and gifted actors to watch carry it out.

The year is 2044, not so far in the future to imagine teleportation and interstellar flight, but far enough to dream up new technology, weapons, and illicit drugs. 2044 is quite similar to today's reality, but its every day norms and today's extreme edges magnified by 1000. There are hover motorcycles, currency is literally based on gold and silver, and the drug all the kids are using is administered through eyedrops and appears to have the effects as cocaine. There is also some glaring income inequality, you either have money or you do not; there is no middle class. The city landscape shows thousands of people living on the sidewalks and sometimes in the middle of the street. If someone steals from you, it looks like you are allowed to pull out your personal shotgun and teach them a severe lesson. Young Joe is a looper. At a specific time and always in the same place, the edge of a corn field, a hooded person will appear out of nowhere and all Joe has to do is immediately pull the trigger on his weapon and get rid of the body. These unfortunate souls are being sent back through time from 30 years in the future where time travel is illegal; therefore, it has morphed into a black market time travel system run by the mob. Young Joe is paid handsomely to do these simple tasks and spends the rest of his day and most of the night going to a club to drink, dance, take drugs, and spend time with Suzie (Piper Perabo), his favorite lady of the evening. There are rules to follow though. Since the system is run by the mob, breaking the rules is frowned upon. I will not go into the rules because young Joe does a good job explaining to you what they are. In his film noir, gravelly voice, which is trying to match a young Bruce Willis in style, Joe opens the movie and brings you up to speed on what has been happening with the time travel business and his specific spot on the food chain. He has looper friends with Seth (Paul Dano) as his closest one and he gets called in to see the boss, Abe (Jeff Daniels), from time to time. Other than that, young Joe is really running his own loop with his day job and his nightly activities.

Old Joe effectively ends that routine as soon as he pops into the corn field out of thin air. One would think that young Joe would have some questions or would want to cut his older self some slack, but no such luck. Young Joe enjoys his current situation and is in no frame of mind to have it messed with, even if it is a version of him doing the interrupting. Old Joe is on a quest to change the past and does not seem too pleased to run into his former self either. These two are the same man, but they certainly are different people. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is really the leading man here because Willis is in more of a supporting role and has noticeably less screen time; however, Bruce still gets top billing on the poster and in the credits. I wonder if that chafes Gordon-Levitt? Both Gordon-Levitt and Willis are very good here. On one hand, they are playing the same person and must try and match each other's facial ticks and mannerisms, but on the other hand, Gordon-Levitt is playing a kid against Willis's older and yes, wiser, character. Another supporting character is Sara (Emily Blunt) but I leave it to you to discover her role. Sara is saddled with most of the slower scenes in the middle which drag on a bit, but it's good to take a break from Joe, both young and old, after awhile. Looper was written and directed by Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) who should be commended for sitting down and puzzling through what must have been a very arduous screenplay.
PixarloverOct 8, 2012
This movie is a masterpiece of sci-fi cinema. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis were the perfect choice of actors for the right movie. Looper is a unique and fresh film in a period of bland $200 million films.

P.S. The movie should be

P.S. The movie should be seen twice in order to understand what's going on, or realise that the film gets better the more you see it.
thesaxmaniacOct 1, 2012
Best sci-fi I've seen since maybe Inception, although I wouldn't call Inception a strictly sci-fi film. As far as time travel movies go, which there really aren't very many of, let alone good ones, this is the best I've seen in years. As withBest sci-fi I've seen since maybe Inception, although I wouldn't call Inception a strictly sci-fi film. As far as time travel movies go, which there really aren't very many of, let alone good ones, this is the best I've seen in years. As with any movie based on time-travel, you have to accept a few rules presented by the specific movie or you WILL make the film fall apart. Thankfully this film only has one major rule, and it's easy to accept and let go of your reality. It's hard to talk about the story without giving anything away but you will be very entertained. There is not a dull moment in the film's entirety and there are twists and turns throughout. The acting is fantastic (JGL is only getting better and better, and Bruce Willis is captivating as usual), the cinematography is engaging...this is a very well made and meticulously thought-out film. Definitely worth a visit to the cinema to see it on the big screen, and if not, absolutely worth a rental or even a place on your shelf in your collection. Expand
jon44Oct 15, 2012
I thought this was a pretty bad movie overall. Everything is derivative of stuff you've seen before, and even if this is deliberate, the riffing on familiar themes and plot points isn't clever enough to hold your interest.

And the overall

And the overall concept sounds cool initially, but makes no sense. If they wanted to make no sense, the whole movie shouldn't have taken itself so seriously and been more cartoonish. As it is, there's really no reason to have the loopers in the first place--why didn't the bad guys of the future just send their victims into some volcano of the past?
lahaine2012Nov 20, 2012
If you're looking for something thrilling yet thought provoking, go no further, Looper has arrived. Rian Johnson's Looper is a bold, wholly original genre film that delves into the fabric of time travel like you hardly get see these days. TheIf you're looking for something thrilling yet thought provoking, go no further, Looper has arrived. Rian Johnson's Looper is a bold, wholly original genre film that delves into the fabric of time travel like you hardly get see these days. The high concept story line of a man's future-self on the loose after failing to 'get rid of him' is only the tip of the iceberg. Whats left is a dizzying tale of crime, time alteration and most interestingly, parenthood, that twists and turns the audience like an intelligent thriller should. The deceptive direction may not satisfy all, but it kept the intrigue on high.The principal cast was very good, and it's also good to see Bruce Willis on form this year. Filmed with much style and edited with clockwork precision; I highly recommend this to movie-goers. Expand
analogkid280Oct 1, 2012
I loved this movie. It has an original take on a dirty future that does not require old blade runner sets remade. It handles the time travel stuff perfect. Not to mention it has Bruce Willis and a some machine guns, what is not to like.
makisterOct 7, 2012
Best movie I've seen in a long time. Genius plot, awesome actors and great cinematography. Definitely the best movie of the year. I really was excited when I saw the trailer, but I didn' t expect to have been as surpised as I became.
MarmaladeOct 5, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Looper is a movie that epitomizes how an ending can make or break a story. Looper is the complete and utter opposite of what we saw happen with the Mass Effect franchise. Whereas the ME series was fantastic up until the last 10 minutes of ME3, I found Looper to be "just okay" up until the last 10 minutes - and then it blew my freakin' mind. Without getting "spoily," I will be completely honest - I almost walked out on Looper about 45 minutes in. Why? I have a personal problem with disturbing/graphic violence. I'm very sensitive and have trouble dealing with certain kinds of violence (not so much guns and shooting, but the kind of violence that haunts the imagination). The first 45 minutes or so has a LOT of that. There were parts I couldn't watch, while there were other parts I COULD watch but freaked the hell out of me (hint to people who have seen the movie: Old Seth. I can't get it out of my mind). However, when the movie gets to the point where we're introduced to the young version of the Rainmaker, I decided to stay - and I'm glad I did. Whereas the Mass Effect ending completely ruined the franchise for me, the ending of Looper completely redeemed the convoluted blood bath that went before. My initial thought when the credits rolled: "I hated it - and it blew my freakin' mind." My feelings about the movie as a whole are mixed. I admit my bias against graphic violence plays a huge role in these mixed feelings, so I will put all of that aside and say that the premise is fantastic, the acting is superb (the kid in this movie was outstanding) and DESPITE the violence, the story of this movie is well-written and mind-blowing. It reminded me of the original Terminator movie (one of my favourite movies of all time). I probably won't watch it again because of my sensitivity to violence, but for those of you who can deal with it, it's a story that's both touching and profound will leave your jaw hanging open when the credits roll. Expand
thebaldavengerOct 5, 2012
I absolutely loved it. This is a great movie. Performances, direction, script: all are top notch. Not as much action as the trailer makes out but it doesn't matter because it's a proper, intelligent sci-fi movie. Makes a nice change from allI absolutely loved it. This is a great movie. Performances, direction, script: all are top notch. Not as much action as the trailer makes out but it doesn't matter because it's a proper, intelligent sci-fi movie. Makes a nice change from all the empty spectacle of most blockbuster films these days Expand
YanYan1990Oct 7, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rian Johnson's latest sci-fi drama is an absolute joy to watch; not just as a well executed non-linear narrative but also as a deeply resonant love story operating on two separate plains: the past and the future. Juggling this complex series of events and organising them into a story that makes sense - let alone functions at all - is an achievement not to be snarked at. The credit truly has to go to Johnson as both writer and director, as well as sterling performances from both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, supplemented nicely with the work of Jeff Daniels and Emily Blunt.

Joseph ''Joe'' Simmons (Gordon-Levitt) is a Looper: an assassin in the year 2044 whose job it is to eliminate targets sent back from the future, where high-tech tagging has eliminated the possibility of effective body-disposal. The target is sent back, Joe takes him down, and then collects: it's as simple as that. The currency sent back from this dystopian future comes in the way of silver, which is no surprise given the current scarcity of rare-earth metals which shows no sign of abating in the far-future. But time travel itself is a well kept secret and, with the knowledge held by the Looper's, they are a risk to the fortunes of the mob; thirty years after they kill their last target, they are sent back themselves as the next target: thus the term ''Looper'' is born.

But what happens when the target is yourself? Joe is faced with this exact problem, as an older version of himself (Willis) kneels at his mercy. Young Joe's hesitation causes the target to escape. Now we watch as two opposing forces begin their own personal vendetta: Old Joe searches for a merciless villain from the future named ''The Rain-maker'', who in this year would be only a small child; leaving Young Joe no option but to stop his older doppelganger and his sadistic quest for revenge. The beautiful thing about all of this is that we are watching the same person with different life experiences motivating them. Where do we lay our allegiance? We learn that Older Joe has got sufficient reason to want this future kingpin dead, but at the cost of murdering a child? in the meantime we come to understand that Younger Joe may be the key to all of it.

A word on the supporting cast: Sara (Emily Blunt) - is the sole proprietor of a small farm. She lives alone, apart from her five year old son who possesses telekinetic abilities (TK as it is called in the film; an ability inherent in around 10% of the population). Abe (Jeff Daniels) is sent back to manage the Loopers and offers a more traditional antagonist for this picture, although part of the charm is that the dynamics of good and bad aren't particularly consistent.

Now, you will be left with questions. And this is not an intrinsically bad thing - in contrast, I think it opens the world of the movie up even more. I was led to query the nature of the time travel itself; multiple dimensions seeming to be a plausible necessity of the time manipulation process. These questions don't detract from the movie itself, which functions smoothly and focuses simply on the story at hand: This is the world we have been presented with and this is the story being told. All other questions - albeit interesting - are not required factors in enjoying what is an excellent movie.
zergfleshOct 7, 2012
A wonderful, and heartbreaking, film. Definitely see it! A fascinating contrast between youth and wisdom gained. Superb. Fantastic acting all around.
BestponyJan 1, 2013
Looper takes an tremendously silly concept and tries to ask some big questions with it, which unfortunately does not work at all. However, it manages to set up a compelling conflict that avoids standard "good guy, bad guy" fare for somethingLooper takes an tremendously silly concept and tries to ask some big questions with it, which unfortunately does not work at all. However, it manages to set up a compelling conflict that avoids standard "good guy, bad guy" fare for something much more complex, resulting in a very good thriller where you can easily forget about all the philosophy and just watch the players make their moves. It provided me with the rare experience of watching a Hollywood film and truly wondering what's going to happen next, because there wasn't any obvious happy end in sight. Add some great acting (with the exception of Bruce Willis, who, as always, plays Bruce Willis and matches Kristen Steward in his range of facial expressions), and the fact that it doesn't rely on CGI and explosions to keep you excited, and you end up with a surprisingly solid experience. Expand
WhySoSerious008Oct 11, 2012
What happened to cinema, Looper is a terrible film, reasons are 1. shaky cam 2. baby being shot 3. poor writing 4. not believable. Joespeh gordon levitt really gave a poor performance as well as the others. The best scenein the film was theWhat happened to cinema, Looper is a terrible film, reasons are 1. shaky cam 2. baby being shot 3. poor writing 4. not believable. Joespeh gordon levitt really gave a poor performance as well as the others. The best scenein the film was the credits, everything was so off. It was unwacthble, do not see this, my nan approved this message. Expand
MaventOct 7, 2012
What bothers me about this movie isn't that it's stupid. It's that so many stupid people are calling it "smart". Right, so the Mob has time-machine technology. But instead of using it to, say, send them back football scores or manipulateWhat bothers me about this movie isn't that it's stupid. It's that so many stupid people are calling it "smart". Right, so the Mob has time-machine technology. But instead of using it to, say, send them back football scores or manipulate the stock market, they use it to get rid of bodies. Right, that makes ALL KINDS of sense. Oh, and instead of just using the time machine (which would obviously have to also be a "space" machine, since the planet is constantly moving) to dump the bodies into the ocean, or a volcano, or outer space, they hire people in our time to kill them. *sigh* If you think this movie is "smart" or "clever" or any of the other terms currently being used to describe it, it's because you yourself are an idiot. Expand
MarcDoyleOct 1, 2012
The first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted'sThe first half of the film is extremely stylish and ambitious, but the second half just gets far too narrow in plot. There are a host of really nice time travel touches, but nothing that wasn't already covered with aplomb in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. I give the film credit for attempting to go big with the attempt. Again, the story of the boy is really interesting, but I expected a grander path for the film after the first hour or so. It's great to see Piper Perabo in a slightly racier role than her Covert Affairs persona. Expand
NazguleroJan 3, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Basically unwatchable. I really do not understand why Joseph Gordon-Levitt is being heralded as the new Hollywood superstar. There is absolutely nothing that makes you want to see him, in any role. He is short, ugly, has absolutely no charisma, and is as boring as hell. Well, hell is probably a lot more interesting. Bruce Willis at least attempts to spice this movie up, but even he cannot do it. When trained killers miss him time and again, at point blank range, the entire premise becomes nothing but utterly ridiculous. Expand
fantasySep 29, 2012
No one was looking forward to this movie more than me. I love science fiction, Bruce Willis and especially time travel. So let me get to the nitty gritty. There is no time travel to see nor any glimpse of futuristic life. So get that outNo one was looking forward to this movie more than me. I love science fiction, Bruce Willis and especially time travel. So let me get to the nitty gritty. There is no time travel to see nor any glimpse of futuristic life. So get that out of the way immediately. Secondly, the writing for this script is as lame as anything you will ever see. The plot hole is so obvious that you could drive a Mack truck thru it. This is blood and gore shoot em movie in which you feel nothing for any character. Th ending is predicatble. Just awful. Expand
psyprbsfan1Feb 7, 2013
if garfield was sent back in time to past garfield to kill future garfield i bet they would have both eaten lasagna but that did not happen 0/100000 DONT BOTHER WATCHING
amboyOct 24, 2012
Apparently the method of time travel movies is to show the same scene over and over again to see if the outcome can be changed. The effect is numbing. J. Gordon Leavitt is talented, but he is gotten up to look like Keanu Reeves and actsApparently the method of time travel movies is to show the same scene over and over again to see if the outcome can be changed. The effect is numbing. J. Gordon Leavitt is talented, but he is gotten up to look like Keanu Reeves and acts accordingly. Bruce Willis has only his smirk left. I lasted a bit less than an hour. Expand
namelessSep 28, 2012
Disappointing. Great opening, great ending... yet half way through it turns into a boring talk festival for 50 minutes until the action starts up again. I feel sorry for the actors because the action stalls and you stop seeing the charactersDisappointing. Great opening, great ending... yet half way through it turns into a boring talk festival for 50 minutes until the action starts up again. I feel sorry for the actors because the action stalls and you stop seeing the characters on the screen but actors reciting their lines. I couldn't figure out why so many film critics love this movie unless the script idea reminds them of what they would have written in school. It is a great idea but the execution seems like something out of a studio committee. The cinematography and editing is straight out of the 80s. I can not recommend it even though the trailer is fanstatic. Expand
kingdomboostAug 3, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THERE IS A SPOILER IN HERE! I FEEL, THOUGH, THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ADDRESS IT!What garbage! The previews were very vague and now I see why. If the previews showed that Willis's character was going around shooting up children then I'd say it would get no views at all. Getting through the first 15 minutes was a chore, then the nude girls started showing up. Time to fast forward a scene or two. Then it starts to get interesting as Willis and Levitt meet up in current time. Well, more interesting than it was. Then Willis's character starts to kill children (with what all is going on today who thought it was a good idea to glamorize this idea???). That would have warranted an instant shut of, but it left me so dark that I had to fast forward to the end to get some closure to the movie, where I saw another child get shot in the face. Even though the movie ends with a little closure concerning the situation it wasn't enough, and afterward I had to watch a comedy just to shake the bad energy. The plot was crap, barely coherent in any way, and if you're paying attention even in the slightest you'll pick up on a major hole that should ruin the whole movie anyway. Absolutely a ZERO in every way. Willis and Levitt should be more careful of the movie roles they chose. Sometimes your character choice leaves a bad impression on your fans. My verdict: craptacular, absolutely avoid this move. Expand
smijatovJan 16, 2013
Thank god that the National Board of Review seems to have common sense still with giving "Looper" the Best Original Screenplay award. This film is AMAZING. It is a "Inception 2.0" of sorts, but even more action-packed. Is that the possibleThank god that the National Board of Review seems to have common sense still with giving "Looper" the Best Original Screenplay award. This film is AMAZING. It is a "Inception 2.0" of sorts, but even more action-packed. Is that the possible downfall of it in the awards circuit? Maybe. I'll admit, I've been rather limited in my 2012 film watching (so far), but this has been my second favourite film of the year (right after "Argo"). The screenplay, as noted, is extremely well done with an intelligent idea and exceedingly good dialogue. Bruce Willis is great in action films, and he does the same here. Ms Blunt is a great actress and she keeps her head high with this performance. The best, however, is the work of the makeup department and Mr Gordon-Levitt. Wow. That was a great and totally out-of-character performance for his usual self. Finally, I can see him as a serious actor. So, what more does one need than a great screenplay and great cast? Technical aspects? Those are covered too. It's just a good film. No. It's a great film. There is no way about it. One of the best of the year. Expand
mau1133Jan 26, 2013
i enjoyed it, enternaning and bruce is a little diferent in this one, well there are some crazy effects and even my girlfriend likeed it. i find myself at a loss of words so that means i cant remember too much about it
BKMFeb 20, 2013
Kudos to Rian Johnson for a creative and tricky screenplay, but the problem with Looper is that's all there is to the movie. The pacing is agonizingly slow, the performances are uninspired and there is little for viewers to grasp onto inKudos to Rian Johnson for a creative and tricky screenplay, but the problem with Looper is that's all there is to the movie. The pacing is agonizingly slow, the performances are uninspired and there is little for viewers to grasp onto in order to connect with the film. There are lots of ideas but nothing to really think about. Perhaps a different director would have yielded more satisfying results. Expand
GilbertoOct 13, 2012
Looper was interesting, but not for so long. The concept of time traveling and the Loopers killing waste from the future seemed incredibly intriguing. But the problem is that the movie shifts from those ideals into a more standard type ofLooper was interesting, but not for so long. The concept of time traveling and the Loopers killing waste from the future seemed incredibly intriguing. But the problem is that the movie shifts from those ideals into a more standard type of movie. So the first half is fast paced and explains the concept in majestic ways, but then the second half deviates and almost completely forgets it. Its still an entertaining movie thanks to some very good acting and great direction, but the shifts in genre from action to slow drama kills what it could have been. It had the potential to be the next Inception, but the thing is that Inception never abandoned its unique concept the way Looper does. Looper feels like it lacks identity, but at the same time given what it does right, it also feels intriguing when compared to most of the movies that come everyday. Its a recommendable movie, but also disappointing nonetheless. Expand
PierNov 7, 2012
A refreshing approach to the overly tired action genre. The film achieved many things right, but what really shines is by far the script. When is Looper 2 coming out?
JUIKERDec 23, 2012
I think this is on par with Source Code and Moon (and maybe even Twelve Monkeys) as story-driven scifi that could probably bear several watchings over the years. It's a fine addition to the canon of fine scifi movies.
JamesLOct 10, 2012
The first half was much better than the second half. Once Willis arrives and we got to the farmhouse, I knew how the movie was going to end. The first part about the concept of looters was intriguing but could have used a little more "BladeThe first half was much better than the second half. Once Willis arrives and we got to the farmhouse, I knew how the movie was going to end. The first part about the concept of looters was intriguing but could have used a little more "Blade Runner" styling. The second half degenerated into the Terminator again and was quite predictable. The film should have been focused on the unseen future instead of dragging back into the present. Daniels' character could have been expanded as well. A seven is the most I can rate this one. Expand
SacrificeOct 15, 2012
Looper is a great sci-fi thriller with an intense and intriguing story. It has good characters and visuals while using time travel in interesting ways. The third act has a shift in pace and story. In my opinion it felt a little disjointed andLooper is a great sci-fi thriller with an intense and intriguing story. It has good characters and visuals while using time travel in interesting ways. The third act has a shift in pace and story. In my opinion it felt a little disjointed and less interesting compared to the first two-thirds of the film. Never-the-less, it is a great experience. Expand
DigitalkidNov 22, 2012
Tried to read some negative reviews, and is it a joke? "This movie is bad, because this scene is bad, plot is bad, acting is poor, actors are awful... blah-blah-blah". Are you all 15-years old? The only thing I didn't like, is that plot is aTried to read some negative reviews, and is it a joke? "This movie is bad, because this scene is bad, plot is bad, acting is poor, actors are awful... blah-blah-blah". Are you all 15-years old? The only thing I didn't like, is that plot is a bit dense for 2 hours, looks like writer had too many things to discuss and had to make it short.. Expand
Bitter_BoyJan 3, 2013
Rian Johnson wrote delicious script for this movie. It's inventive, original, and unpredictable (but with plenty of foreshadowing to properly prepare the audience). When you consider just how many movies recently are sequels and remakes,Rian Johnson wrote delicious script for this movie. It's inventive, original, and unpredictable (but with plenty of foreshadowing to properly prepare the audience). When you consider just how many movies recently are sequels and remakes, and the few that aren't are adapted from popular books, its surprising that hollywood managed to produce a movie this interesting. I don't give a 10/10 to anything, but there literally was not one thing I hated about this movie. Some "comic book guy" ("worst movie evar") types are unable to accept some of the fictional elements in the story, but that's their loss. I would dare any of them to write a script 10% as good as Johnson's. Expand
Knicksfan7Oct 17, 2012
I've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just hadI've pondered over this film for a few days and i still have yet to come up with a legitemate flaw. This was a great film. From the acting by the new superstar Gordon-Levitt, to the engaging and genius story, to the beautiful cgi. I just had 2 minor flaws. It got a little bit boring a few times throughout the film but it was recovered quickly each time and it seemed a bit overly long but when you think about it there really wasn't a scene you could take out so i'll give Looper a 9.5/10. This is definitely the biggest surprise of 2012 for me, i didn't expect much from this film. I just expected another dumb time-travel involved film, but this one actually had an amazing plot that was near perfectly executed. Expand
DobbyJan 3, 2013
Brilliant, unique and disturbing, with a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Looper is far from your typical generic time travel movie and is one of those rare science fiction futuristic movies that will tug on your emotions. Emily Blunt andBrilliant, unique and disturbing, with a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Looper is far from your typical generic time travel movie and is one of those rare science fiction futuristic movies that will tug on your emotions. Emily Blunt and Joseph Gordon Levitt deliver brilliant performances and the child actor who plays Blunt's son is a scene stealer. Easily the best movie I've watched this year. Expand
eiskrapOct 22, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good, definitely not this years Matrix, but enjoyable. TK bits seem added on to get an explanation that isn't very satisfactory. Remember there are two ways to close your loop! Expand
DukeJonApr 21, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this film, to an extent. It's very clever, and it's refreshing to watch a film that doesn't treat its audience like idiots that need everything explained to them. The premise is interesting and the 3 lead characters give strong performances, particularly Emily Blunt.

However I found the film difficult to warm to, and was disappointed by the end. For me there are too many plot-points that weren't really believable. I found that idea of only using time travel to send people back in time to bump them off a bit stupid. Why not just kill people in the future? The rainmaker kid came across of being quite evil in nature, but if he's wiping out future crime lords doesn't that make him a good guy? Would Bruce Willis really shoot children? The choice of odd weapons used by everyone in the film (blunderbusses and pistols) was never explained, and the bad guys were all out of a video game (all wearing black trenchcoats). I was surprised that there weren't more memorable moments or set-pieces. Overall a clever film but not one I'd plan to watch again anytime soon.
RechiauOct 16, 2012
I went to go see this movie on a whim. I'm not generally a fan of time-travel. However, Looper does incredibly well to keep the time-travel gimmick, while also being a generally good film. It keeps a steady, and never disappointing, paceI went to go see this movie on a whim. I'm not generally a fan of time-travel. However, Looper does incredibly well to keep the time-travel gimmick, while also being a generally good film. It keeps a steady, and never disappointing, pace throughout the film. It doesn't try too hard to explain the science behind the time travel or in what way it works. It just flat out shows you what happens. Which is better than being given five minutes of screen-time for some poorly articulated explanation for the mechanism of time-travel.

The film has a great feel to it. A dystopian future hasn't looked this good since Children of Men and Blade Runner- and I don't think one will for a while. The layout of the film is brilliant too, with the Life in a Day scene being one of the most powerful scenes (for me at least) this year in movies. The film does share some inconsistencies in the storyline, but it's never significant enough to draw it down.

The actors performances are brilliant as always. Bruce Willis portrays Old Joe incredibly well, you can get that sense of turmoil that he's going through. Pushed to the edge, if you will. You empathise at parts, but at the same time, you know he has lost it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's portrayal of Young Joe is also great. Especially given the prosthetics and make-up he had to wear during his entire performance.

Anyway, to sum it up, it's an absolutely brilliant science fiction film. It blends great themes, science fiction elements and action into an enjoyable movie. Certainly recommended to anyone and everyone.
VulcanNov 9, 2012
Slightly Interesting story - a bit confused at times mixing too much diverse sci-fi into the same story. Good acting and direction. HORRIBLE violence -- its way to excessive and gory at times and un-necessarily so. It makes Tarentino lookSlightly Interesting story - a bit confused at times mixing too much diverse sci-fi into the same story. Good acting and direction. HORRIBLE violence -- its way to excessive and gory at times and un-necessarily so. It makes Tarentino look like a sissy. And that's not easy to do, neither is it a good thing to achieve. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 27, 2015
"Looper" is a refreshing action thriller that shines from a original and clever script, clean cinematography, and skilled acting from both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It's definitely a one-of-its-kind movie.
MikefromAngusJan 6, 2013
The problem with this movie is, that it tries to be taken as a serious piece of work. But fails, becasue of the many loop holes in the plot. On the positve side, the cast did a great job. But that wasnt enough, to save this movie.
DeSelleNov 16, 2012
Top of the line popcorn entertainment. Acting is good, plot holds a few surprises and most importantly the pace of the movie keeps you from looking at errors in the plotline due to the element of timetravel.
HappymonkNov 30, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a film. I did not expect this to be as good as it was. This is not a film for lovers of light-hearted films: it is a very dark one-of-a-kind experience. The problem is that I'm writing this review quite a long time after having seen the film; so I apologize for anything that I put wrong or not quite right. This is not a film about time travel as such; as time travel has been invented in the future, and it is used to send criminals back in time to be exterminated, when upon yourself arrives to be exterminated, you must do so, or you will suffer the consequences (as someone did in a very gruesome way during the opening of the movie). That is the premise of the plot in its simplest form. When (I forget the main character's name, sorry) arrives to be killed by himself, all hell breaks loose. The complicated (yet simple) storyline is handled masterfully, not leading to any confusing moments during the whole run-time of the picture. The acting is also ace, Bruce Willis providing everything you'd want from him in role such as this, and Joseph Gordon Levitt being the perfect anti-hero. The camerawork is mind-boggingly fantastic, although perhaps a tad hard to watch at times. This is a dark, unnerving sci-fi film that provides a very smart, witty and surprise of a gem that I don't think anyone was expecting. Not for kids, Looper wins the award of the most surprising film of the year (in a great way). 92/100. Expand
Bruce722Jan 15, 2013
Such a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it.Such a surprising cinematic experience. I was apprehensive before watching because most movies dealing with time travel completely butcher it and make the movie seem more silly than anything. Thankfully, Looper did a very good job with it. They didn't try to explain anything about the science of it, which I was fine with, but I felt that they nailed the concept. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an amazing job, not only acting but as portraying a young Bruce Willis. Obviously the make-up department deserves credit for the look but JGL mastered all of the mannerisms and the style of talking. Very impressive performance on his behalf. And I love Emily Blunt so her being in the film is a nice bonus, plus it's nice to see her take on a slightly different role from her typical typecast. The only negative in the film, in my opinion, was the telekinesis element. I thought it was a really silly aspect of the film and didn't need to be in there at all. The Rainmaker, could've easily been portrayed to be a genius child, not a borderline superhuman. That's really the only part of the film that was mediocre. Looper is definitely a movie that I think most people would enjoy. Some will probably find it challenging to follow but those that follow it well will surely consider it entertaining. Expand
KenmeiJan 3, 2013
Good movie and easily one of the best of the year, Looper does a good job of avoiding some of the usual trappings that time-travel movies fall into nowadays. I love the idea that is glosses over most of the explanation of why time travelGood movie and easily one of the best of the year, Looper does a good job of avoiding some of the usual trappings that time-travel movies fall into nowadays. I love the idea that is glosses over most of the explanation of why time travel works in this movie and just focuses on the story between Levitt and Willis, even if they aren't on screen together for the vast majority of the movie. I love how this movie takes a played out concept and puts a nice, original spin on it for the audience. I can see why this movie might turn off some people with a few things here and there, but I personally loved this movie. The only problem I have is that I didn't get to see it soon enough. Expand
mariopingOct 12, 2012
Looper -- well scripted. It has a very logical and believable sci-fi. My only problem is that Joseph Levitt-Gordon and Bruce Willis are just not from the same mold. Poor casting there.
JudgeHoldenDec 1, 2012
Good movie, coherent, plot-twisting, and with well written characters. This said, I thought there would be more science fiction and a little more broader view. It made me think of "12 Monkeys", which had the same scale: one city, max. 10Good movie, coherent, plot-twisting, and with well written characters. This said, I thought there would be more science fiction and a little more broader view. It made me think of "12 Monkeys", which had the same scale: one city, max. 10 depicted characters, and surprising ending. To sum up, very engaging, despite the flaws. Expand
lasttimeisawOct 21, 2012
Rian Johnson
akb_rOct 17, 2012
I have to agree that
EludiumQ36Feb 7, 2013
Decent enough story but this still doesn't make time travel believable, not sure that can ever be done the plausibility of it, that is. But I'm pretty sure people just appearing and disappearing isn't how it'll look. Same kind of thing withDecent enough story but this still doesn't make time travel believable, not sure that can ever be done the plausibility of it, that is. But I'm pretty sure people just appearing and disappearing isn't how it'll look. Same kind of thing with telekinesis, let alone being exhibited by a 10 yo kid. The quality of this movie is like a very good steak served with ketchup as sauce. Expand
clasher101Jan 7, 2013
A time Travel Movie that is fresh and finely acted without getting overly complicated. Levitt and Willis do great work here as well does the rest of the cast. I just wish more movies likes this would get made.
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
It's a thrilling piece of futuristic mayhem! An original and mind-blowing creation from newcomer Rian Johnson. Unfortunately, several of its performances fell short of the film's brilliance.
aznassassinOct 27, 2012
I dont usually say this but WHY are you reading this? Go out and watch this NOW. Brilliant acting, a brilliant plot where everything clicks and excellent sequences - Looper is my favourite film of the year alongside Dark Knight Rises. And itI dont usually say this but WHY are you reading this? Go out and watch this NOW. Brilliant acting, a brilliant plot where everything clicks and excellent sequences - Looper is my favourite film of the year alongside Dark Knight Rises. And it beats the hell out of The Avengers. There are minor loopholes if you think hard enough but overall, its as enjoyable as Inception and definitely, a well-rounded film on an intriguing premise. A movie with the brains and passion that you will definitely enjoy. If you love Inception, you'll love this film. It makes you think and gives you a satisfying conclusion. Expand
csw12Jan 26, 2013
Looper is a movie that has an interesting story to some degree but from the mindless action scenes to the and incoherent editing, Looper fails miserably like Bruce Willis's acting.
Tara61Dec 1, 2012
Excellent movie. The cast is fantastic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt especially and the story is a real mind twister. I liked how the future is shown almost similar to the present with only details showing us that not everything is the same. HoweverExcellent movie. The cast is fantastic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt especially and the story is a real mind twister. I liked how the future is shown almost similar to the present with only details showing us that not everything is the same. However it takes some time to tie all threads into one, but once you get the point than the story fully mesmerizes you. I was also surprised with the force little Pierce Gagnon played his very demanding part.
Finally, this movie should not be watched if you are not fully concentrated on it, as the details can slip quite easily.
Highly recommendable.
seancriswellOct 11, 2012
A rarity for me, a very fun sci-fi movie that I enjoyed immensely. Why? Because this is a character and story driven science fiction film. We really grow to care about these characters in one sense or another, and the story keeps us guessingA rarity for me, a very fun sci-fi movie that I enjoyed immensely. Why? Because this is a character and story driven science fiction film. We really grow to care about these characters in one sense or another, and the story keeps us guessing and intrigued right up to the emotional ending. Most of the problems that I have read about this movie revolve around the time travel dynamics or how the story slows in it's second half. I disagree on both counts. First I want to say that Johnson does have some obvious rules for time travel that he is following throughout this film, but I admire how he knows that if you think about time travel long enough you will find holes in any story involving something that both doesn't exist and is implausible in the real world. I love the scene where Johnson gives a wink to this idea by having Willis's character tell Levitt's, " I don't want to talk about time travel because we would be here all day." I also disagree that the film slows in the second half. I feel that the scenes at the farm are among the best in the movie, also Willis's character goes to some bad places which gets us to the more than satisfying ending. I have two issues with this movie and they probably keep this from being an all time classic science fiction movie for me. One is Levitt's performance. This is an actor that I normally like so I am going to believe that his poor performance is due to the prosthetic that were used to transform his face. Most will probably disagree with me about his performance, but I feel he is outmatched in almost every scene he shares with the other players in this movie. My second issue are the action sequences. If there is one reason for me not enjoying most action films anymore it is the implausibility of the gun fight, and Looper is no exception. I am infinitely tired of trained killers who can kill with professional precision suddenly becoming incapable of firing straight when they are shooting at a movies protagonist. This is probably nitpicking but I would rather not see the action at all than be taken out of the movie in this way. Overall this is a highly enjoyable, unique science fiction film. Expand
metaxenoJan 20, 2013
Looper is my favorite movie of the year. I got the blu ray the day it was released and watched it immediately. I find the self inclosed story (with no need for sequels or prequels) to be very refreshing in a genre populated by franchises.Looper is my favorite movie of the year. I got the blu ray the day it was released and watched it immediately. I find the self inclosed story (with no need for sequels or prequels) to be very refreshing in a genre populated by franchises. While I avoided the movie in theaters for some time, after hearing about how good it actually was I went to see it and was blow away. Part of this is most likely because my expectations were not great. The idea of the mob using time travel didn't seem plausible. I think a bigger organization than the mob would be required to harness and use a power as awesome as time travel. How about a government conspiracy with CIA agents instead of criminals? Regardless of that fatal flaw the world created by writer director Rian Johnson is flawless. He brought a skeptical viewer (myself) to an adoring viewer in less than 10 minutes. Expand
Apemonkey666Jan 12, 2013
A well constructed story-driven scifi film that doesn't hit you over the head with explanations about causality but just works with the already well established (mainly by Back to the Future I guess) hollywood time-travel ruleset. LevittA well constructed story-driven scifi film that doesn't hit you over the head with explanations about causality but just works with the already well established (mainly by Back to the Future I guess) hollywood time-travel ruleset. Levitt plays a younger Bruce Willis and does so very well but his 'altered' appearance does take some getting used too. One of the better films of 2012 and certainly a recommended watch! Expand
Tbrown15Oct 18, 2012
The summer brought us many blockbusters, The Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Dark Knight Rises. It was a successful summer overall, but the fall season is where the Oscar contenders come out, and withThe summer brought us many blockbusters, The Avengers, Men in Black 3, Prometheus, the Amazing Spider-Man, and the Dark Knight Rises. It was a successful summer overall, but the fall season is where the Oscar contenders come out, and with that, I have Looper, which is the first fall movie of the year that looks like it can contend with the heavy weights. The story takes place in the year 2044, Expand
theahsanhaseebNov 6, 2012
First of all, let me take a moment to praise outstanding work done by the director and writer of this movie, Rian Johnson. I have watched a lot of science-fiction films that incorporate the elements of time travel and in the beginning, thisFirst of all, let me take a moment to praise outstanding work done by the director and writer of this movie, Rian Johnson. I have watched a lot of science-fiction films that incorporate the elements of time travel and in the beginning, this movie seems like any other typical science-fiction film but it has a lot of surprises, the amount of creativity that has been put in the making of this film. Looper is a remarkable and beautiful film, with astounding performances by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Young Joe Simmons), Bruce Willis (Old Joe Simmons), Emily Blunt (Sara Rollins) and Pierce Gagnon (Sara Expand
reddave2Nov 13, 2012
Looper seems to suffer from over-expectation, going by some reviews. Heavily pushed as the "new matrix", I struggled to find the similarity to the Keanu Action-blockbuster. Sure, Looper is a high-concept movie but its much smaller in scaleLooper seems to suffer from over-expectation, going by some reviews. Heavily pushed as the "new matrix", I struggled to find the similarity to the Keanu Action-blockbuster. Sure, Looper is a high-concept movie but its much smaller in scale and focus - and all the better for it. There's action but its quite spaced out and rarely the showstopper that a film like the Matrix would require. Instead we get a very good turn from JGL playing his character like a young Bruce Willis. When it works, its fantastic although sometimes the eyebrows seemed a bit too much. Willis himself is great as the reluctant assassin and the two play off each other well in their scene together. The rest of the cast work well, although I would have liked a bit more of Jeff Daniels. But sometimes its better to be left wanting more. Overall though, Looper is a nice bit of sci-fi but not the picture some will be expecting. The script can feel a little clunky but its got enough nuance to carry through to the ending which, while some hated it, I quite enjoyed. Expand
moonman1994Jan 27, 2013
Looper is a really good movie! Great special effects and a great story. The best thing about Looper is that it perfectly mixes story and action making it a must see! I'd highly recommend it to anyone so long as they don't have an extreme hateLooper is a really good movie! Great special effects and a great story. The best thing about Looper is that it perfectly mixes story and action making it a must see! I'd highly recommend it to anyone so long as they don't have an extreme hate of the Sci-fi genre! Expand
LucasSCNov 6, 2012
One of the masterpieces of the science fiction, where we appreciate good theories abiut the future and the mafias of the future.
The Performance of Gordon-Levitt and Willis is awesome, and we appreciate some similarities between the two actors
This movie shows us again that the science fiction is a genre able to make excellent movies.
JohnnyCOct 10, 2012
A good sci-fi story done with finesse. Watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt closely. He may not "look" like a younger Bruce Willis, but he has his familiar mannerisms and speech down: especially in a sit-down with a crime boss. For the most part, theA good sci-fi story done with finesse. Watch Joseph Gordon-Levitt closely. He may not "look" like a younger Bruce Willis, but he has his familiar mannerisms and speech down: especially in a sit-down with a crime boss. For the most part, the story takes some unexpected turns but doesn't hold up in the ending, which is telegraphed in advance. Too bad, because this had the makings of a classic. Still, the acting and direction elevate this to a must-see of Fall films. Expand
JDFreeman001Oct 10, 2012
Not the New Star Wars or Matrix. More the New Logans Run. Very good smart sci-fi, it did get perilously close to being slow towards the end but saved itself. Also for a sci-fi timetravel film the narrative held together quite nicely withoutNot the New Star Wars or Matrix. More the New Logans Run. Very good smart sci-fi, it did get perilously close to being slow towards the end but saved itself. Also for a sci-fi timetravel film the narrative held together quite nicely without masses of plot holes. Expand
ScreenShadeOct 26, 2012
It doesn't meet my expectations. But, nonetheless, Looper is a smart, unique, and well written film that ranks high above other movies in the same genre.
SamthesealOct 15, 2012
I found it to be an overall good movie, best of its genre i have seen in a long time. It developed the story very well and increased its intensity as it went. 9/10-9.5/10 is exactly what it deserves.
DollisOct 16, 2012
Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995)Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
dante_finnNov 19, 2012
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis are gripping in the movie Looper.
raulpcNov 3, 2012
Good point but have neglected entertainment.
The two actors do not look like each other.
Should have included some persecution for some more excitement to the movie.
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Rian Johnson takes you from this world and pulls into the world of Looper. Johnson's films are unlike those of other filmmakers, because they are so surreal.
CanoticNov 16, 2012
Okay, to be honest, "Looper" has earned the medal for the great plot and innovative ideas. The only thing that was not right was the action and bad guys' motivations. I see that the movie has its meaning, and it is really good, veryOkay, to be honest, "Looper" has earned the medal for the great plot and innovative ideas. The only thing that was not right was the action and bad guys' motivations. I see that the movie has its meaning, and it is really good, very interesting to see; however, the action was not quite as I was hoping it to be. Moreover, if the bad old dude that trained Joe got killed pretty easy... But still, there's a reason for that and I understand: the movie just simply circles around Joseph and Willis and the boy (the "Rain Maker"). In short, the movie is a lil' bit overrated when talking about the action aspect, but it deserves a 5-star rating over the meaning. Good movie. Expand
cesarone102Nov 10, 2012
This is one of the best movies this year along with a few others. It is very dark and evil especially all the children, the rainmaker and Bruce Willis character killing the children. I enjoyed the movie but some people might find itThis is one of the best movies this year along with a few others. It is very dark and evil especially all the children, the rainmaker and Bruce Willis character killing the children. I enjoyed the movie but some people might find it confusing, if you get most confusing movie then you will get this but if you don`t you won`t. Its a great movie and i would recommend it to anyone. Expand
OroiaelNov 14, 2012
Pretty cool little movie. Most importantly it doesn't try to be anything its not. Its not really philosophical, its not not even overloaded on special effects. Its a story, a real good story with decent acting. In the end it was entertaining,Pretty cool little movie. Most importantly it doesn't try to be anything its not. Its not really philosophical, its not not even overloaded on special effects. Its a story, a real good story with decent acting. In the end it was entertaining, which is exactly why I go to movies. One note, this movie gets extra points because it has Jeff Daniels as a bad guy...very cool. Expand
CritictheBombNov 16, 2012
This is a thrill ride and a joy to watch up to the end. It keeps you glued to your chair the whole time until the plot unfolds and a shocking end reveals itself!!!!
TheJeffnessNov 16, 2012
Pretty good, but not as good as I thought. I thought this was going to be some futuristic science fiction movie, but it barely classifies as this. The acting and characters are good, my main issue though is the plot. I was expecting a bindPretty good, but not as good as I thought. I thought this was going to be some futuristic science fiction movie, but it barely classifies as this. The acting and characters are good, my main issue though is the plot. I was expecting a bind boggling journey into 2 futures, instead half the movie just takes place on a farm. There is less to do with science/future here, and more to do with magic. Yes, magic....and this is where the movie falls flat. There is this child called the rainmaker who has a telekenetic ability to manipulate gravity or something....essentially he can kill people with his thoughts. Its not so much I have an issue with that the story focuses too heavily on this kids magic abilities rather than the science/future/time travel aspect...the problem lies with that the movie doesnt bother to explain how or why this magic is possible. It also shows a brief portion in the future, where it appears that this future child rainmaker is killing a bunch of people and destroying a city...I wanted so bad to see that and have it be part of the movie! So half of the movie's cool futurustic, post depression society, and time traveling complexes ideas are stolen by this little boy and his magic abilities. Nothing is done to explain why this kid has magic abilities, and right when you think that this focus is going to pay off(by showing the kid in the future, destroying a city and killing millions of people), it doesnt....it just shows someone reading a number(boys birthdate) to Bruce Willis for no reason before he dies....Well it just happens bruce willis goes back in time so he can kill this boy, but the reader of the number didnt know that....and this is where this movie suffers in scenes like this....it fails to explain or identify reasons, which is usually fine, but in this movie YOU really want to know the reasons. Overall You are left dissapointed and wanting more from only certain segments of the movie. It sucks you in by building suspense to show something spectacular are cool, but it only follows through half the time. It is a good movie, it is just that if certain ideas or scenes were extended or elaborated upon this would have been a perfect movie.

Pros = Kinda futuristic, good acting, memorable characters, cool locations
Cons = Plot holes, failure to explain/elaborate upon ideas, focus on magic instead of science, Boring futuristic art direction.
Nesbitt10Dec 26, 2012
It's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economyIt's not every day you see a irresistible trailer and it surpasses your lofty expectations. A highly ambitious undertaking by director Rian Johnson who masterfully executes and delivers on all fronts. In the year 2044, the US economy collapses giving way to widespread organized crime. In 2074, time travel is invented but immediately prohibited. Because of advanced tracking systems in place, disposing of murder victims isn't possible, which in turn creates a "new" market and profession. Hence "Looper." Tilted camera angles, upside-down shots, super slow-motion; Johnson toys with experimental cinematography with formidable results. A fantastic time travel sci-fi thriller that is firmly character based, and not just solely relying on special effects or time travel. Rian's directing art house style is evident but it's also blended with some mainstream elements not seen much in previous films such as "'Brick". What flaws this film may possess can be easily absolved because the overall experience is extraordinary. Expand
worleyjamersJan 12, 2013
Looper is a really good sci-fi/action thriller. Although the second half of the film tapers off towards the end, the film is held together by a solid concept, great direction, and good performances, even if some things are left unanswered.
WiesyJan 17, 2013
Amazing movie!!!!!!!! Nice story and good actors
Rox22Mar 11, 2013
I know I'm in the minority here, but I HATE this movie! After watching it I was actually angry. I felt like the writers and the director had just smacked me. This movie really did show ALLOT of promise as it built itself up rather nicely,I know I'm in the minority here, but I HATE this movie! After watching it I was actually angry. I felt like the writers and the director had just smacked me. This movie really did show ALLOT of promise as it built itself up rather nicely, establishing a "kind-of" realistic near future. But then they introduce the whole time travel element. At first it was a creative new use for it. But the longer they developed it, the more it the logic surrounding it fell apart. Basically they have created a form of time travel that completely ignores its own rules to the point that you would have to be a a half brained idiot to not see it. Basically the movie is saying: Shut up, stop thinking and enjoy the movie. Overall: This had the chance to be a really good movie, but any ingenuity was raped out of it by lazy writers and a director with no direction. Expand
CmeNOWsoFLYiiDec 15, 2012
My favourite film of the year although not for everyone. The best way I can describe it is like a mash-up of Twelve Monkeys, Terminator & Drive. It's basic yet very graceful. JGL pus in a great performance & the story is really good but thisMy favourite film of the year although not for everyone. The best way I can describe it is like a mash-up of Twelve Monkeys, Terminator & Drive. It's basic yet very graceful. JGL pus in a great performance & the story is really good but this is definitely a marmite film. Expand
Bo33yDec 22, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The title is a Mars bar and just like junk food this film delivers that useless energy. In its fantasy came a world that could never even be explained, logically or even with any degree of attempt. Maybe in 1930's there is an era of which this film is modeled from definitely in no foreseeable future. This aside the plot is littered with gaping holes. Paradoxes were given as much thought as some illiterate explaining the theory of relativity and resulting in suicide. Quite literally those braincells where already popped from it's crackheads abusive direction. Poor at everything, what SCI-FI I ask, it really didn't even try to be scientific. Bums with guns, and silver equals gold. Expand
Terbo49Jan 18, 2013
In 2 words, this film is so-so. It wants to be a Hi Res concetpt sci-fi film, but the plot doesn't hold out for that, and the splatter violence and appalling and unnecessary language give away the fact that there isn't enough in the story orIn 2 words, this film is so-so. It wants to be a Hi Res concetpt sci-fi film, but the plot doesn't hold out for that, and the splatter violence and appalling and unnecessary language give away the fact that there isn't enough in the story or the characters to keep it going. If you've paid oyur money and bought your popcorn, it will tick over, but you'll forget it within minutes if you have any semblance of intelligence. And if you have any sensitbility, you will actively WANT to forget it. It's just poor and nasty, at its heart. Expand
KinoCriticJan 6, 2013
This movie has everything you would want in a time travel film, action drama and well TIME TRAVEL. Now i wouldnt say its the best film of 2012 or it sould win best picture but it is a great film and maybe sould be nominated for originalThis movie has everything you would want in a time travel film, action drama and well TIME TRAVEL. Now i wouldnt say its the best film of 2012 or it sould win best picture but it is a great film and maybe sould be nominated for original screenplay. From the begining to end it is a rollercoaster that has countless loops. It keeps the audiences attention and never lets go. Now for the action, it is great, just enough to hold the audience over. During the movie you will be thinking alot about the time travel in this movie and it can be a little bit confusing but think about it its just a movie about time travel thats all it is too it. Overall this is one of the best timetravel action films i have seen also my top 5 films of 2012. 9/10 Expand
XanderakJan 18, 2013
Movie requires a small amount of suspension of disbelief; negative reviewers got hung up here. Director did a fantastic job hinting just enough to understand everything going on, along with creating characters the audience is interested in.Movie requires a small amount of suspension of disbelief; negative reviewers got hung up here. Director did a fantastic job hinting just enough to understand everything going on, along with creating characters the audience is interested in. Highly entertaining, best movie I've seen in a long time. Expand
ReekyAlexJan 26, 2013
There are some plot holes and some times you just have yourself scratching you're head because it's not exactly clear how the time travelling works. But everything else of the movie is good and very enjoyable
forestvilleFeb 3, 2013
surprising and unusual, a new way to enjoy the futuristic genre, besides another unforgettable performance of young Levitt and the good creativity of Rian Johnson
tomtom4468Feb 5, 2013
Overall, awesome movie. This is some of the best acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt I have ever seen. It has one of the best plots. This film is not what you would expect. This has become my second favorite time travel film of all time, next toOverall, awesome movie. This is some of the best acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt I have ever seen. It has one of the best plots. This film is not what you would expect. This has become my second favorite time travel film of all time, next to Back to the Future Part II Expand
WeaselboystFeb 6, 2013
Starts out great. The opening felt similar to how I saw Blade Runner but somewhere in the middle it drags and what happens doesn't really matter until the revelation. I respect Rian Johnson for pulling off a great atmosphere but I justStarts out great. The opening felt similar to how I saw Blade Runner but somewhere in the middle it drags and what happens doesn't really matter until the revelation. I respect Rian Johnson for pulling off a great atmosphere but I just thought there were a lot of room for improvement in terms of pacing. Overall it is a good movie that shows a lot of potential for discussions. Maybe I just wanted to see more sci-fi. Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 10, 2013
One of the best sci-fi movies in years. Rian Johnson is a very talented director that previously made the outstanding film Brick, shows the combo of himself and Joseph Gordon Levitt is a winning one.
TheApplegnomeDec 21, 2014
From the unknown director: Rian Johnson comes Looper. A clean and original sci-fi film that got a tough script and much boring stuff.

The first thing that truly makes this film incredible is the sci-fi and action; it’s so cool and entertaining. The film is a challenge for the brain from the start and throughout the film, which is great because it do raise questions with the audience. Looper is a great time-travel film that’s unique in it’s own way. The story: that a future man travels back in time to stop his wife from being killed is a classic, and the high pace of action is awesome. The structure of the film is very similar with J.J Abrams’s Star Trek and other films; we see similar lens-flares, touching soundtrack and action at a high tempo. There are a bunch of unique things in Looper, but I wish there could have been more. That’s because it’s not a clean and original film due to the influence from J.J. The script is another thing that could have been done better; the conversations are slow and boring, and the film overall is boring. I wish there could have happened even more awesome things in Looper, because the film do have an incredible cast, spectacular CGI and a touching story. The opening scene is just as great as the ending, but my only wish is that there could have been more unique.

This is a classic time-travel film, but unfortunately there are much slow and boring scenes and there could have happened much more.

Looper gets a 7/10.
joao1198pedroNov 23, 2013
Looper is a film with great ideas,but unfortunately these ideas weren't so well used,besides of this i can't say that it's a bad movie,but i would do lots of things on this universe.
dijavantewowMar 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not quite the movie the previews make it out to be, but it's still quite good. It's an interesting take on time travel, but that's not even the important part of the movie. This child that has such powerful abilities, that he brings the world terror in the future is in the grasp of the protagonist, but decides that instead of continuing to try and change that future (which in itself only perpetuates it), he decides to end his own life. One of the better sci-fi movies in a while. Expand
JacobJan 8, 2014
Despite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film isDespite some pacing issues in the second half and me seeing the lead actors and not their characters, Looper was pretty entertaining. The story is exciting and engaging with interesting morals, the characters are interesting, and the film is shot well. If you want a good fim to watch go check this one out it is pretty good. Expand
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually"Looper is a completely original one of a kind sci-fi film that is thoroughly crowd pleasing including some outstanding performances from the two main leads. Looper is a film that only comes along so often that makes you think and actually use your mind." B+ Expand
nutterjrDec 31, 2012
Possibly the kick ass film of the year! A good story with steady-state suspense and pounding action, a great cast with marvelous acting and a bravado director delivering a film of immaculate style and elegance.