Lymelife

7.2

1. FrankS.
    Apr 10, 2009
    Saw it last night. A must see by all means. Acting, directing, story. Hilarious and gut wrenching.
  2. MilesH
    Apr 8, 2009
    Saw this film at the Toronto Film Festival & Sundance. Loved it. It's a very true film, especially for those whose formative years involved Han Solo action figures and first kisses while listening to Bad Company. Brilliant acting, too.
  3. AlisonR
    May 20, 2009
    My favorite film of the year so far. Touching, mean, funny and very very real. The cast is great, especially Rory and Kieran Culkin playing brothers. The smartest casting I've seen in a film in a very long time. This one broke my heart and left me wanting more after its extremely misleading and well crafted ending. Gosh, what a film. My heart is still fluttering.
  4. BillL
    Apr 16, 2009
    Cool movie. Like everything Revolutionary Road should have been. This was awesome. Cool ending too. Made my stale mind think.
  5. PhilL
    Apr 30, 2009
    Saw it in nyc. Made me laugh way too many times than an ordinary drama about suburbia should have. You can call it a dark comedy, or a dramedy. Brutal in its sense of honesty though. When it's time for the drama, watch out. Don't know how but by the middle of the movie, after I spent a bunch of time playfully laughing along with Rory Culkin's character, everything became Saw it in nyc. Made me laugh way too many times than an ordinary drama about suburbia should have. You can call it a dark comedy, or a dramedy. Brutal in its sense of honesty though. When it's time for the drama, watch out. Don't know how but by the middle of the movie, after I spent a bunch of time playfully laughing along with Rory Culkin's character, everything became very tense. Every scene that followed had me laughing, crying or hanging on to my seat. That tension was infused in every scene up until the very end when bang, it was over. I'm going to add this to my dvd collection, it's a see twice movie to try and figure out how they had me so absorbed. Expand
  6. AaronS
    May 13, 2009
    Let's not pull any punches here..this is the best "cinema" I've seen in 09. Acting, writing, directing are all top notch. My big concern is the powerhouse performance Baldwin gives and Rory Culkin and the amazing Timoth Hutton delivers will be forgotten at award time. This is a Screen Media release. How in god's name did it end up there? It is a Miramax, Searchlight film Let's not pull any punches here..this is the best "cinema" I've seen in 09. Acting, writing, directing are all top notch. My big concern is the powerhouse performance Baldwin gives and Rory Culkin and the amazing Timoth Hutton delivers will be forgotten at award time. This is a Screen Media release. How in god's name did it end up there? It is a Miramax, Searchlight film all the way. It is what independent film is all about. It is exactly how I felt when I went to see Resivior Dogs or Hard 8 or Bottle Rocket. The big difference is Lymelife stomps Hard 8 and Bottle Rocket to death. Maybe not Dogs, but that's a tall order. And forgivable. QT is the man. But PT and Wes A better look in their rearview mirrors. There's a new sheriff in town folks, and his name is Derick Martini. Fearless, blunt, beautiful, hilarious and twisted. Needless to say I am utterly impressed. Expand
  7. PennyM
    May 9, 2009
    The first great indy of the year. Delicate, beautiful, absorbing performances. Several darkly hilarious split your pants scenes. Took 5 or 10 minutes for me to latch on to Rory Culkin as the lead, but once I did, I kept being reminded of my first boyfriend. And there are a lot of firsts in this film. It's like the director/screenwriter took a whole series of "first times" for Culkin The first great indy of the year. Delicate, beautiful, absorbing performances. Several darkly hilarious split your pants scenes. Took 5 or 10 minutes for me to latch on to Rory Culkin as the lead, but once I did, I kept being reminded of my first boyfriend. And there are a lot of firsts in this film. It's like the director/screenwriter took a whole series of "first times" for Culkin and, with brute force, drags us through each painful, hysterical, awkward moment. All the kiddies are splendid, including Emma roberts and Kieran Culkin. Even the stereotypical bully is handled in a perversely funny and sad way. The "adults" in the film are also splendid. Every adult has a clear desire that is not being fulfilled. Ironically, my favorite scene, and one of the best "revenge scenes" in film history, has nothing to do with the kids. Alec Baldwin and Timothy Hutton at a bar could have played out like every cliche in the handbook. However, like everything else in the film, the scene is handled in a unique and brilliant fashion. The way Hutton screws with Baldwin's mind is nothing short of sheer genius. Although Baldwin is getting a well deserved comeuppance of sorts, you can't help but feel for the guy. And the beauty of the scene is that it turns into a demented torturous scene with one, barely audible, whispered word. Baldwin's face, the sweat on his upper lip, his silence, says it all in a way some silly drivel of words could ever do. Expand
  8. Oct 16, 2011
    A touching tribute to the strains of an American family. I found it funny, sad, honest and the acting is sensational. The direction is classy, and it allows the performers to really shine. I highly suggest than any true film lover see this film. It's unlike any other I have seen over the last few years.
  9. Flaneur
    May 21, 2009
    Subtler, better-written, and less stagy than 'The Ice Storm' or 'Igby Goes Down'--this cuts deeper than any other film about the Sick Soul of Suburban Life.
  10. Jul 18, 2011
    This movie may be what every indie movie tries to be, but that's what made it so unimpressive-- it tries too hard. It had some really nice acting from Timothy Hutton and the Culkins, but so much of it was trite indie quirk. I'm sure the ending was supposed to make you "think," but it was just uninspired. Martini may have potential, but this film definitely won't make him known for takingThis movie may be what every indie movie tries to be, but that's what made it so unimpressive-- it tries too hard. It had some really nice acting from Timothy Hutton and the Culkins, but so much of it was trite indie quirk. I'm sure the ending was supposed to make you "think," but it was just uninspired. Martini may have potential, but this film definitely won't make him known for taking any chances. Expand
  11. AndreF
    May 3, 2009
    cliche... like a mix of the Squid and the Whale and the Ice Storm and everything indie filmmakers love to rip-off from Scorcese and P.T.A. But the filmmakers get an "A" for effort apparently the film was shot in only 22 days on a low budget and with a very interesting cast. well done.
  12. May 16, 2012
    this movie was frustrating for me as i kept trying to care but kept losing interest. rory culkin is redeeming but the rest of the movie is hackneyed and forgettable.

Even when the drama gets overcooked, Lymelife sends off sparks.
  2. A period suburban rites-of-passage story with a pitch-perfect cast.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Nelson
    Intense perfs by Rory Culkin and Alec Baldwin are standouts in a movie that brims with vivid supporting turns.