MacGruber

6.1

May 31, 2010
    At first it's slow, cliched, and even tasteless, but the movie eventually gets REALLY funny. Will Forte really freaks me out when his eyes and mouth are all the way open, but MacGruber is the most badass protagonist so far this year.
  2. Sal
    May 21, 2010
    I saw a preview showing in New York a few months ago. I was prepared for the worst, but came out very happy. I laughed pretty much the whole time. If you like stupid, you'll have a good time. Promise.
  3. SamD.
    May 22, 2010
    Very fun, hilarious, and exciting. Its the hangover of 2010!
  4. CalebK.
    May 22, 2010
    I've never laughed so much at the movie theater. Jorme and Will have managed to create a movie that is hilarious and action-packed from start to finish. Just when I thought I'd recovered from a laughing fit this movie would hit me with another ridiculous scene and I'd be struggling to catch my breath from laughter again.
  5. JacobW.
    May 22, 2010
    This movie made the hangover look terrible, not that it didn't already. Honestly though, MacGruber had me laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe at some parts. I'd totally recommend this.
  6. RicoS.
    May 22, 2010
    You can never accept something if you are closed minded. So when you go to see MacGruber, be open minded, expect a shallow plot, and don't expect witty comedy because you are going to get dumb yet very very funny comedy. Most comedy movies still have a meaning or a moral to the story meaning there will be many dramatic moments. MacGruber is only 100% funny moments, no drama what so You can never accept something if you are closed minded. So when you go to see MacGruber, be open minded, expect a shallow plot, and don't expect witty comedy because you are going to get dumb yet very very funny comedy. Most comedy movies still have a meaning or a moral to the story meaning there will be many dramatic moments. MacGruber is only 100% funny moments, no drama what so ever! That is what sells the movie. Every sentence has a joke in it. And believe me when I say you have never seen anything funnier than the sex scene with Mac and Viki St. Elmo. Most movies that recycle old jokes have it end up not very funny after a while. In MacGruber they expand on an old joke and make it funnier each time they mention it (You will know what I mean when you see the license plate scenes) All in all MacGruber will have you gasping for breath after every sentence. Everybody in the theater, teens to adults, men and women, were dying laughing. So go see it, be open minded, and you will probably say "wow I can't believe that was actually funny!" Expand
  7. MikeD.
    May 23, 2010
    The entire theatre, though only half full, managed to laugh harder and louder than any movie I can remember attending. Its crude, its rough, and its freaking funny. If you cant handle swearing and gross jokes, then just don't go. But if you dig that kinda thing, this one will leave your abs hurting from laughter.
  8. CarlosL.
    May 24, 2010
    Actually funny, just dont think too hard.
  9. JacobH.
    May 25, 2010
    This film is the result of a dedication to comedy that is rarely seen out of today's SNL crew. This is a film that isn't just a cash-in on a marginally popular character (and it seems as if it won't be a cash-in period. Maybe on DVD...). This is a film made by people who love filmmaking. And it shows. "MacGruber" is constructed around the standard 80s action premise; a bad This film is the result of a dedication to comedy that is rarely seen out of today's SNL crew. This is a film that isn't just a cash-in on a marginally popular character (and it seems as if it won't be a cash-in period. Maybe on DVD...). This is a film made by people who love filmmaking. And it shows. "MacGruber" is constructed around the standard 80s action premise; a bad guy (in this case a wickedly funny Val Kilmer) has a bomb, and he is going to set it off. The U.S. can't stop the bad-guy without *him*; that war-hero who has long since shunned his past, instead living peacefully. But this bad-guy is connected to this war-hero personally (in this case, a murdered wife). Time for the war-hero to don the mullet one last time... And in this lies "MacGruber"'s great strength. It is knows it is stupid. When it is being immature and juvenile, it knows it is being immature and juvenile. When it is being hammy beyond comprehension, it knows it is being hammy beyond comprehension. MacGruber is the definition of self-aware. And that is rare in this genre. Expand
  10. KeatonJ.
    May 28, 2010
    It's immature, crude, juvenile, and really darn funny. I don't remember the last time I laughed this hard in a movie. All of the humor is low-brow, but that doesn't make it unfunny. I laughed a lot, and because of that i enjoyed this flick. It pokes fun at 80's action movies while tossing potty humor at you, and if you're open-minded enough you'll be laughing It's immature, crude, juvenile, and really darn funny. I don't remember the last time I laughed this hard in a movie. All of the humor is low-brow, but that doesn't make it unfunny. I laughed a lot, and because of that i enjoyed this flick. It pokes fun at 80's action movies while tossing potty humor at you, and if you're open-minded enough you'll be laughing the entire time. If you like somewhat messed up and stupid humor, see this. Expand
  11. CodyB.
    May 29, 2010
    I seriously can't remember the last time I was in a theatre full of people laughing so hard CONSTANTLY! It was sooo funny. Things happened I would never allow my kids to see, nor tell them about. SO FUNNY!
  12. Sep 4, 2010
    I just love this movie. Even though the newer cast of SNL isn't as good as the mid 90's to early 00's were. Still this movie makes me laugh. If you love mindless comedy and laugh, almost, at anything - you'll love this

Don't go see this movie if you like to watch some crappy movie about a little boy who plays piano and want's to be a ballet dancer. Go home and suck your thumb.
  13. Dec 6, 2011
    Some people hate it, some people love it. Macgruber is a kind of movie which has such immature and idiotic humor cause it to be a large success. Going into this, i thought it was going to suck, i came out realizing how wrong i had been. Iv'e seen Macgruber 4 times and i still laugh at the jokes
  14. Sep 5, 2014
    **** amazing, gold. Immature,yes. But hey we all need a bit of it. Sex scenes with ghosts, couldn't ask for much more. Oh wait, yes there was more, including an 'A-team" being blown to pieces by home made dynamite
  15. NathanL.
    May 21, 2010
    Macgruber is a film that will go as far as it can to make you laugh. It will go into your bowels with a stick of celery and then put it in it's own mouth and do a little chewing. The last movie I saw like this was the Zohan. The difference in why this works and the other didn't is in it's ability to say **** you to the ratings board and just do what it wants. That is Macgruber is a film that will go as far as it can to make you laugh. It will go into your bowels with a stick of celery and then put it in it's own mouth and do a little chewing. The last movie I saw like this was the Zohan. The difference in why this works and the other didn't is in it's ability to say **** you to the ratings board and just do what it wants. That is exactly what it does. And while much of the humor is low brow, it is so consistently funny that you do not care. Same with the story. They have kept thing s so simple here that it has no holes (other than the ones Macgruber is always talking about) and would have been difficult to have created any. This is largly because this is a film so in love with the old Stallone,Schwarzenneger, and Willis movies of the late 80's and early 90's that you have been there before and seen every twist that is coming. This would be a bad thing if the movie was taking itself seriously but, it is so very much not. So, I say that if you are a fan of old action flicks and not easily offended than this movie is right up your ***, I mean alley. Expand
  16. NateA.
    May 29, 2010
    The Film MacGruber you may remember is a little 2mins SNL sketch that in the end every single time they blew up. Well i guess over there at SNL they had a little idea that they would make there little sketch into a movie and well when i heard that , I was a little edgy on the whole thing i was unsure if i wanted they to make a funny sketch into a full length feature film. So i went into The Film MacGruber you may remember is a little 2mins SNL sketch that in the end every single time they blew up. Well i guess over there at SNL they had a little idea that they would make there little sketch into a movie and well when i heard that , I was a little edgy on the whole thing i was unsure if i wanted they to make a funny sketch into a full length feature film. So i went into this film with very low expectations so maybe thats why i found this ridiculous, and very very funny. Your caught off guard, at many points of the movie , i found myself crying at one part and there were many more scenes after that. The movie feels very original like Hot Tub Time Machine which was Funnier than this , but original plot and i like that. This film moves at a very fast pace at some times , which i guess can be ok the reason this movie is so short because i guess they only had 30 days to make the movie. So at times i was kind of figuring if they were rushing some of the parts. Because they had such a tight schedule to work with , but honestly i couldn't tell you because i was laughing so hard! I'm shocked to as some of the material that the director got away with like with the villains name, which i don't think i can disclose any of the information into this review anyway, I felt the action mixed with the comedy was very authentic , and clever , some of the jokes it may be possible yes we have heard of that stuff before. This movie you have to pay attention to detail or your gonna miss out on a good movie at the movie theater. I was also actually surprise as to who they had to play the villain Val Kilmer. Who yes is very talented , but it was different seeing him take on this kind of character. The film starts off when this huge X5 missile is stolen after the people taking into its destination is killed. The government needs the best so who are they gonna call MacGruber the guy who makes "Life-saving devices out of household appliances. The infamous and suppose to be dead home making Bomb maker. The government needs him to bring down the man behind stealing the X5 missile or else they world as they know it could be over for good. But MacGruber is behind all of that and doesn't want to because of what happened to his wife. But soon after that he realizes that he needs to take revenge on Dieter the man who killed his wife. And he begins to really support of a team with a 100 years of combined Us Army combat. But i don't want to give away to much of the funny material in this movie. But he needs to assemble another team and thats where we meet Vicki St. Elmo the love interest of the film played with very great comedic talent which would be Kristen Wiig, and his right hand man which is Ryan Phillipe who also shows very well comedic talent in this film. The stealer of the show is really Will Forte as MacGruber i couldn't honestly seeing anyone else taking on such a great and Funny character. Its very well possible one of the best action comedies i have ever seen. But this movie i must warn you deserved its R Rating this movie was vile and Vulgar and at times unbelievable, see if that movie was not rated R then i don' know how good the film would have actually been. But yes this movie is very funny and ultimately i was shocked more than i thought i would be. I'm sure other critics are not going find this as funny as i did. Like i did say briefly this movie moves at a fast past and it maybe hard to keep with na you should just be fine. Its only 88mins which i'sent a bad running time i feel that time was perfect maybe they could have gotten some more in there but i cant believe after watching the film that it did only take 30 days to make and it with a roughly tight Budget. And i think mainly audiences will get out there and see this movie and maybe i hope make this movie profitable and help make this a very successful movie well i hope i don't know if audiences are gonna be turn away because of its strong R rating. But in the end when all is sad and done you will be extremely happy you went and saw the film, you just cant understand what I'm saying when it comes to how funny and crude and flat out disgusting this film is until you actually make the effort to go out and see this film. You will not be disappointed well and then again if you are than i'm sorry because well your sense of humor may not be into this kind of film but one thing was for sure.. i was all in! A ReviewdByNate RunTime88mins RatedR Thanks For Stoppin Buy! Expand
  17. Sep 25, 2010
    "Funny from start to finish, i loved every second of this film, defiantly one of the best action comedies i have seen in a while, Will Forte does an awesome job bringing the SNL character to the Big screen. I love the Big screen feel of this film!" ... A
  18. Oct 15, 2010
    The jokes are entirely hit or miss, but the misses are far less frequent. Forte and Wiig are predictably daft and hilarious, but Phillippe surprises with comedic chops not really seen before. It is over-the-top, incredibly silly, and mostly hilarious. And I laughed every time "Von Cunth" was spoken.
  19. Nov 9, 2010
    I heard this movie sucked when it was out in theaters but when I saw it it exceeded my expectations. I personally thought it was funny as hell. You're either gonna really like this movie, or you have a whack sense of humor and you're gonna think it's one of the stupidest films ever.
  20. Sep 18, 2010
    Haters wanna hate. Lovers wanna love. I dont even want, none of the above. I want to piss on you. Yes I do. Ill piss on you. Ill pee on you. Drip-drip-drip.
  21. Sep 26, 2010
    I didn't expect it but it was a hilarious movie. A lot of very funny jokes and situations, funny and well played characters. Good cast and acting. Overall, a very good comedy.
  22. Feb 2, 2012
    All you Hipster homos that bash movies like this really need to learn how to let go and laugh. This movie was hilarious! It's nothing like the SNL skit, so anyone using that connection didn't actually watch it. Probably the funniest movie since the greatest of them all: Tommy Boy.
  23. ChadS.
    May 24, 2010
    As the numbers tick down on a nuclear warhead poised for D.C., MacGruber tells Piper(Ryan Phillippe), "I've been in this situation before, but nothing bad has ever happened," in the film's most blatantly metafictional moment, since the special operations agent alludes to the intertextual relationship between the movie and the "Saturday Night Live" sketches, which creates a As the numbers tick down on a nuclear warhead poised for D.C., MacGruber tells Piper(Ryan Phillippe), "I've been in this situation before, but nothing bad has ever happened," in the film's most blatantly metafictional moment, since the special operations agent alludes to the intertextual relationship between the movie and the "Saturday Night Live" sketches, which creates a fantasy/reality binary that delimitates life and death. Because MacGruber and his companions die on television, the snatch of self-aware dialogue implies that their death would be permanent this time, unlike the domain of sketch comedy where rejuvenation will transpire in each upcoming episode. MacGruber thinks his world is real, that he's real, while at the same he remembers his other self, his perpetual self from the world of make-believe. MacGruber is turning into Betty. This interconnection which merges fantasy and reality for the resourceful mercenary plays like an inverse of the waitress(played by Renee Zelwegger) in Neal LaBute's "Nurse Betty", as both characters become out of sorts with their respective diegeses after watching a loved one die violently. Whereas MacGruber thinks his world is authentic(as proof, the timer on the detonator he disarms has more than three wires), Betty believes that the world of television and the world she lives in is one and the same, a soap opera called "A Reason to Love". Essentially a comedy in the vein of Kevin Smith's "Cop-Out"(a tribute to eighties pop culture), "MacGruber" understands why he has to save the day. Unlike his prior incarnation as a Jesus of the idiot box, people bleed and don't come back to life, as evidenced by Casey(Maya Rudolph), who is no longer corporeal, but a ghost. On the other hand, in the LaBute film, the discharged blood of a patient that splatters all over Betty's scrubs never phases the "nurse", since on some level, despite her trance, she remembers that nothing on television is real. Both MacGruber and Betty have double-consciousnesses. Expand
  24. Jun 1, 2011
    hahahahahahahah i love this movie for some strange reason. yes macgruber was a dick and an **** but he was funny. the movie is fun and it keeps you going. its cool. i liked it a lot. macgruber is a hit.
  25. Dec 11, 2012
    I didn't have high expectations when going into this movie. I remember enjoying the Macgyver TV show as a kid. I also enjoyed the MacGruber skits on SNL. This was a really silly movie as is to be expected. The movie had some good laughs in it, that's all I really expect from a silly parody film. Was it one of the best comedies I've ever seen? -- no. Was it decently funny and entertaining? - - yes.
  26. Aug 13, 2015
    Macgruber, for me, is one of the greatest comedies of the 21st century. Of course, it's not for everyone, but one thing is for sure – you haven't seen anything like it.

Can't wait for Macgruber 2!
  27. Aug 21, 2015
    So MacGruber is funny,well acted,well made and action packed.Will Forte is playing MacGruber perfectly and Val Kilmer played his role really well.Even though the end was over the top and some scenes (a lot of them actually) were unbelievable, the movie is still funny and entertaining.The only thing that I absolutely hated was the CGI blood.

1. Utterly disposable but diverting, MacGruber manages to spin feature-length product out of an idea that few would try expanding beyond a "Saturday Night Live" skit.
    How the hell can you take an SNL skit that runs 90 seconds and stretch it to a 90-minute feature? Sounds excruciating. But MacGruber breaks the jinx by putting the skit in the context of a 1980s action movie and creating its own brand of explosive lunacy.
  3. Think of a really bad, uncensored Saturday Night Live comedy sketch. Then make it worse – make it longer.