7.6

1. Jul 29, 2015
    It is a very good movie, but in history there are many plot holes in the origin of the famous hero, which is "Superman".
    The effects are spectacular, Krypton design, the design of armor and ships. I remembered a lot to "Pandora" of "Avatar".
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done
    Sups when fly is spectacular, and its AMAZING blows
    The performances are good, Henry Cavill is a good Superman, with an origin but messy well done and a great villain who is Michael Shannon as Zod SPECTACULAR
  2. Jul 21, 2015
    Main thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70'sMain thing I loved about the movie was, it was about the "man" part of superman instead of the "super" part. They spent one and a half hours on establishing the character before engaging him in combat. Didn't rush to show us Superman but spent time on Krypton and in Clark's troubled childhood. Gave us something close to current comic book superman instead of trying to reintroduce 70's Superman like "Superman Returns". For me Man of Steel is even better than Superman (1978) and Superman 2 (1980) Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2015
    Man of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildingsMan of steel is by no means a Fantastic film but I feel the film has some great moments with real raw emotion also henry cavil is a very awesome superman and Clark Kent not to mention the jaw droppingly awesome action and visual effects my only problems with Man Of Steel lie with the underdeveloped supporting characters, superman's carelessness for human life when he destroys buildings while fighting Zod and the Christ or saviour metaphors that run throughout the film, in the end I really enjoyed it and I never got why Man Of Steel received mixed reviews but the lackluster Superman Returns a relatively positive reception
    7.5/10
  4. Jul 18, 2015
    Man of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is notMan of Steel, the first film in the new DC Cinematic Universe, is certainly a very flawed film, but for me, I think there is enough in the "pro" category to outweigh those negatives. Firstly, I really liked the acting and the casting throughout. Some were unhappy with Amy Adams' Lois Lane, for both the way she was portrayed and for her not looking like Lois Lane, but as a person who is not a huge comic book guy, I did not really care. She's a great actress and it is able to show in this film to a degree. In addition to the acting, the special effects were spectacular and the cinematography was stupendous at times. There were some seriously gorgeous shots in this one and it is one of the few superhero movies where I really noticed that area. However, I will say that it does try to do a lot and struggles from typical origin story pitfalls. The pacing can be extremely bad at times and the dialogue is pretty horrendous at times and middling at best. Overall, Man of Steel is a slightly above average film that succeeds in some areas and fails in others, but overall does a nice job setting up the new Superman story and the new universe. Expand
  5. Jul 10, 2015
    Wouldn't be bad, if there wasnt sooooooooo cringe worthy acting and dialogue. Also a pretty bad casting choice for zod in my opinion. Take with this, a grain of salt, as i never really found superman to be all that good anyways. Still this movies an injustice to such comic book
  6. Jun 26, 2015
    Cavill and Synder did a pretty solid job and bringing superman back on the screen. The best Superman in my opinion in terms of film and casting. I can't wait to see where the DC cinematic universe goes from here
  7. Jun 26, 2015
    I'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder forI'll start by mentioning that before seeing this film, I really wasn't a fan of Superman as a character. He was pretty clean cut, simplistic and boring to me. I have to say that Man of Steel is my favorite comic book film and one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie of all time. And that's saying a lot since i'm much more a Batman guy. I really have to applaud Zack Snyder for making the deepest, most complex and best version of Superman I've ever experienced.

Man of Steel begins with the birth of Kal-El on his home planet of Krypton, which is literally on the brink of self destruction. Kal's father, Jor-El , knows this so he sends his son to Earth in the hopes of him carrying on their race. This portion of the film was done very well, and you feel every minute of the urgency and drama. Seeing Krypton fully beautifully and tragically realized on film was breathtaking, even if for a short time. After the intro, things are a bit fast fowarded, as you see Clark Kent/Kal El now as an adult. Although you see Clark as an adult, the film does an amazing job of developing his character through several flashbacks of him as a boy, a teenager and a young adult throughout. Those flashbacks are meaningful as the events in the flashbacks shape him into the man he is and is to become. One of the more emotional flashbacks was during a time when Clark was just a little boy, being overwhelmed with his new-found powers during a classroom lesson.

Man of Steel shows the struggle of Superman trying to figure out who he really is in a world that he does not come from. When he finally does find out in the middle section of the film, you feel the same excitement and exhilaration that he does, especially when he dons the iconic blue and red suit of his home planet. The tone of the film does shift shortly after when General Zod, the main antagonistic and villain of the film, appears. To put it short, Zod wants to turn Earth into Krypton at the expense of every living thing on the planet. Man of Steel showcases one of the best villains in a comic book film that I've seen since Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Zod actually has a concrete and justifiable reason for his actions and decisions in the film, which set him apart from most throw-away villains in comic book films today. It's because of those reasons he actually feels like a threat and gives the film solidity.

While the first half of Man of Steel is focused on character development and story building, the second half is a huge, action packed payoff as Zod attempts to carry out his plan of literally destroying one planet and rebuilding another. Some critics and people felt that there was too much destruction and death. To truly demonstrate how much of a threat General Zod was, the film showed the true result of a villain's actions. Im glad Snyder took this route of showing actions as opposed to just the plans of a would-be villain being foiled beforehand by the obligatory hero before anything serious actually happens. The villain actually felt like a true comic book adversary.

By the end of the film when you finally see Clark putting on his glasses on his first at the Daily Planet, you get goosebumps and when Lois Lane says to Clark "welcome to the planet", it makes you want to smile just as Clark did. By the time the credits rolled with Hans Zimmer's theme following, I found myself wanting to continue in on Supe's story.

8. Jun 25, 2015
    "Man of Steel" is not a masterpiece, it is just okay. It's slightly better than Superman Returns, but I wish it had more brighter colors... I do think Henry Cavill is a brilliant choice for Superman, and I hope future installments can improve upon this film.
  9. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel isn't a bad film by any means. It's just not the thrilling adventure film it should have been. Everything starts off well. The opening 20 minute retelling of Kal-el's escape from dying Krypton plays like its own epic action short. The setting is so wildly rendered and Jor-el (Russel Crowe) makes for such a compelling hero that I found myself wishing that was the focus of the picture, particularly after I'd seen the rest of it.

The rest of the film's first hour focuses on young Clark Kent's upbringing, and his struggle to discover, control and conceal his powers, and it's less successful. Part of this has to do with director Zack Snyder's (and producer Christopher Nolan's) gritty, realistic approach. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane do great work portraying Clark's adoptive parents, but something just doesn't feel right about Pa Kent telling Clark that "maybe" he should have let his schoolmates drown rather than risk revealing what he could do, or Clark's allowing his father figure to sacrifice himself years later in a twister rather than use his powers to save him in front of a crowd of people.

However, it's the third part of the film that really comes off the rails. I actually enjoyed watching Superman and Lois Lane confront Zod and his minions right up to the point where Supes lost his cool, the result being the leveling of Smallvile. The Superman I know wouldn't have put all those lives at risk by bringing his fight to main street. Then, when the proverbial feces really hits the fan, Metropolis itself is heedlessly decimated. Finally, the ridiculous scenario staged to "make" Superman kill Zod actually made me laugh out loud.
  10. Jun 14, 2015
    Save the world with destruction type plot really hurt this film, I somewhat enjoyed the deeper knowledge given from the characters, not there actions.
  11. May 31, 2015
    I am probably going to get some hate for giving this movie such a low score, but here's what I think of 'Man of Steel', the superhero reboot of the "Superman" character.

Directed by Zack Snyder ("300" and "Watchmen") and produced by Christopher Nolan ("Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight"), the movie stars Henry Cavill in the title role as he attempts to fight his greatest enemy, General Zod (Michael Shannon).

The movie opens pretty much similar to the original 'Superman' (1978) which starred Christopher Reeve, in that Krypton is about to be destroyed and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) is the father of a newborn Kal-El who is sent to Earth while the original home planet is destroyed. An angry Zod is sent away but plans to stop Kal at his tracks and wants to bring Krypton back.

The movie is told straightforward in present day, but there are a lot of flashbacks in the first two acts of this movie. We see Clark as a young child trying to adapt and get used to his powers, he can hear voices, his vision goes out of control...the lot.

Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play Jonathan and Martha Kent respectively, in committed performances, they care for their young, adopted son and want him to be okay and fit in.

Oscar-nominated actress, Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, a Pulitzer prize winning reporter who meets Clark when she is in danger and instantly wants to know more about him.

That's the most development we get from this movie. I think it's fair to say that 'Man of Steel' is probably the most controversial "Superman" movie since Bryan Singer's 'Superman Returns' (2006), in that it has divided many people who have seen it.

This movie, I feel, delivers all too well on its promise to show us some spectacular action scenes, they occur early and often, and while this proves that there is no shortage of special effects artistry, it's amazing as to how I grew tired and impatient, just exhausted from watching everything getting destroyed in its path. There is a total of three action scenes in this movie, and they go on for roughly 20 - 30 minutes (at least that's how they felt), I couldn't help but feel like asking myself "When will this movie end?", and couldn't Zack Snyder just sacrifice at least one, long action scene for more character development? Just asking.

All in all, this is NOT a bad reboot, but it will divide many audiences who watch it. If you either grew up with or loved the Christopher Reeve "Superman" installments, you are more than likely to feel underwhelmed with this movie. However, if you are a teenager who has never seen any "Superman" movies before and you want to see your very first "Superman" movie, then this could win you over.

I feel like this movie was better than the bleak 'Superman Returns' (2006), but this movie didn't have to be dark and serious like 'The Dark Knight' (2008), Batman needed a dark and gritty movie, Superman is too light-hearted for this tone. It felt very depressing and underwhelming, and the action scenes were just exhausting to watch after you've seen it for five minutes.

Too much action layered over better story-writing, and far too serious to even have fun. 6/10.
  12. May 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder has done again! Bringing another comic book story and its characters to the big screen! Though this movie might have had some no action, yawn inducing, and maybe boring moments with Clark Kent and Lois Lane or Martha and Jonathan Kent, fan-boys can't get enough out of the awesome action fight scenes between Superman and Zod and his minions. And how we watch in awe of how Superman and other characters are reimagined in incredible ways. And the lore and tragic backstory of Clark Kent is both heart wrenching and interesting. Also even though Lex Luthor isn't in the movie, two Easter eggs foreshadow his appearance in the sequel. There are two scenes that show trucks that have the name Lex Corps on them! And best of all Superman is now renamed the "Man of Steel" complete with a new costume (with the undies not on the outside), and an even better theme song not composed by John Williams, but Hans Zimmer. For all those DC fans who are trying to find a descent enough DC movie, here's one that hopefully doesn't disappoint you that much like The Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, or even Catwoman did. Expand
  13. May 23, 2015
    "Man of Steel" breaks with past "Superman" films. Visually, this is an impressive film. The action sequences are pretty epic and certainly the smart selection of scenes and abundance of this action make this two-plus-hour ride go rather quickly. This is a new and smart version of Superman.
  14. May 17, 2015
    The film is good, the story so that is good, the action is kind of exaggerated, it may be a negative point of the film, and lacked a bit of concern Superman with Metropolis, he destroyed a great part of town with their struggle with Zod, that I also found another negative point of the film.
  15. May 5, 2015
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie. 2. Lousy director....the whole film shot with a jerky handheld camera to make it look exciting and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors. 3. Lousy story line constantly jumping from the past and present on Earth and on a different world. 4. Overuse of
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie.

and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors.

4. Overuse of CGI. The ending kept dragging on and on as they destroyed more and more buildings. Less is more. Was actually getting antsy and bored with all the destruction.

5. The ending. When in the world is this guy going to use his super speed to at least TRY to look like someone else. I know, I'll put on a pair of glasses and know one will ever recognize me....not even my mother.
  16. May 3, 2015
    Cavill is a great superman! he really is! unfortuantly the film drags a bit and the action scenes drag on to much! but a really interesting movie and way to tell this story
  17. May 2, 2015
    Not the best Superman movie however the animation, story and progression are spot on. This is pretty much a reboot of the old famous super man movie from the 1990s. The casting roles in the characters were surprising and great choices. The movie is not as polished as the Dark Knight Trilogy but better than the last Super man movie that came before it.
  18. May 1, 2015
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.
    Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton. 2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the
    Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
    This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
  19. Apr 28, 2015
    In short:
    -First half of the movie is crammed with too many plots, it jumps from age to age and doesn't tell a story clearly, it fails at building up Clark Kent as an emotional character or as a character at all
    -Second half is action with Superman already established and it's mostly fine if a little silly sometimes In long: I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's
    In short:

In long:
    I didn't think "The Krypton Wars" was this movie's undertitle, but it apparently was. Krypton is going to die in the first place, but this movie apparently didn't want to spend 5 to 10 mins showing us the planet, its inhabitants, and making us feel the loss and destruction that they were facing, instead we got an honestly pointless coup d'état from General Zod which was...just stupid. It makes the time on Krypton both too long and something you just want to get over with because of all the unwanted side plots.

Then you get to Clark Kent as a ...young adult? Just straight up, we go from Krypton burns to Clark Kent as an adult. That's it. No backstory, no buildup. Booya.

The cut is BAD. Just outright incompetent. And it's not the only one.

Man of Steel spends over 40 minutes telling Clark's life by chasing off his life experiences one by one, in the most disorderly fashion. You zip from adult to late teenager to kid to adult to teenager to adult to early teenager to younger adult to adult and the worst is, not only are those scenes insufficient because they're all short and don't really mean much, not only are they difficult to really care about because they're shown in a puzzle fashion and you're supposed to put them all in order in your head, but the real absolute worse is that they're ALL having bad cuts!

It's not a fade to black or a clever "I now speak of this person or this experience in my life" and it cuts to said person like in Game of Thrones, no, it's just a hard cut that is an outright false note!

Every time I'm beginning to get interested in one of Clark's instances, I get a cut that not only breaks my interest, but takes me out of the movie because the frame ends on adolescent Clark and suddenly the moment after I'm looking at kid Clark.

Besides the incompetent cuts and unreasonable storytelling, the fact is that the time spent on Krypton's subplots should've been used to show more of Clark Kent the child. Take out 10 mins from Krypton, just show it dying and Kal El being sent out, and spend those 10 mins to build up Clark more competently than it was, with a timewise storytelling and longer scenes.

I'm giving this movie a 4(it could just as easy be a 3) because of one specific scene though. When (spoilers) Clark's dad dies. The scene was so forced, the death was so irrational and stupid, the reactions and acts of the characters so silly, that I burst out laughing.

If your most defining, character-building, emotional scene makes me burst out laughing, you are a terrible movie.

I pushed myself to watch the rest of the movie though, and I didn't regret that. Once Superman gets revealed, the action is nice, Zod is a good foe, lots of elements from the movie work well and unlike a lot of people, I find the murder scene/execution scene of Zod to be perfect for this movie. It adds a layer of depth to Superman's character and succeeds at making him a better character.

With that said, I wouldn't watch this again, ever. Besides all I've listed, the number of plot stupidities is quite high(kudos on Lois Lane for discovering the exact location of one man under a mountainside, hundreds of meters away from her, in the middle of the night, WHILE AN ENTIRE MILITARY CAMP AROUND HER DIDN'T FIND THE GUY), and it makes the movie just silly.

2 for the first half, 5 for the latter, I'll give it a 4.
  20. Apr 28, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  21. Apr 27, 2015
    This is a film that is ridden with flaws, but the breathtaking spectacle and innovative approach Zack Snyder takes with the classic superhero narrative is undeniably brilliant.
  22. Apr 25, 2015
    I think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don'tI think this film is a suited film for people who already know what Superman is about and kinda know the basic story. Man of Steel doesn't feel like it gives a full understanding of what Superman is. I think it's more of a interpretive sequel to the current understanding of Superman in people's mind. This is why I think it's lost some people, but I think this is a great movie. I don't think it stands on it's own two feet as a movie in itself but as an addition and reinvention without completely explaining everything that Superman is that we already know. Expand
  23. Apr 22, 2015

24. Apr 20, 2015
    shake the damn camera like a polaroid picture!
    other than the retina-burning lens flare and the headache inducing camera shaking all over the place, this movie barely has anything to offer.
  25. Apr 19, 2015
    The fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defendThe fact that anybody tries to defend this is beyond me. The characters are lifeless, the plot events are absolutely absurd, the acting is bland, and Superman possibly kills more people than he saves! Superman leads Zod to locations with more civilians just for some more cool action scenes. Here is the problem with that, SUPERMAN IS PUTTING LIVES AT RISK FOR NO REASON! People try to defend this movie by saying "Its dark and gritty you just don't understand it". Don't let those idiots fool you, this movie is not respectably dark. This movie takes no risks with its narrative or characters, making it loose any chance of being actually dark. This movie is just disgraceful. Don't spend money on it. Expand
  26. Mar 27, 2015
    I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don’t like this movie anymore.
  27. Mar 26, 2015
    This movie is more stronger then steel. This movie was far better then superman returns, I mean the actor who played superman was really good and the score was epic.
  28. Mar 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the movie. It was time someone updated the myth of Superman, the hero was created in the 30 's.... A time when women didn't have the right to vote, and everything was black or white (commie or not). Seeing Lois Lane inquire about Supes and discovering who we really is from the beginning is a good thing to me. The gritty look is good too. Expand
  29. Feb 14, 2015
    Man of Steel was a good film and it was entertaining i had my doubts at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that I didn't really like about the film, they didn't show enough of his powers like super speed or his breath (I'm just being picky). But overall a good film.
  30. Feb 7, 2015
    From its lusciously rich score, its tear-inducincly powerful performances, its brilliantly vast set pieces, its offbeat yet thrillingly structured story, or its commandingly auteurist direction, "Man Of Steel" is not only the greatest and most relatable Superman film, but it is easily one of the most entertaining superhero films I have ever seen.
  31. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
  32. Feb 2, 2015
    The first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconicThe first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconic superhero, but I doubt longtime fans will effectively relate to the overall story and characters. Expand
  33. Jan 26, 2015
    I know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give thisI know, unpopular opinion. But... I honestly enjoyed Man of Steel. Sure the dialog was just bland and poorly written, but the acting itself is rather good. It was a refreshingly dark take on the Superman tale, and is jam-packed with huge scale action sequences. If I wasn't a massive Superman fanboy, I might be giving this a lower score. But since I am, I just simply can't give this anything less than a 7/10. However, I hoped for a stronger startup to the DCU, and as a result, I do not think this film should be the catalyst for the DCU. I just can't imagine a Justice League movie being as dark as this. Expand
  34. Jan 17, 2015
    Man of Steel is more of an action film, not a superhero film, and departs a lot from the Superman character. Yes, Krypton is there, the Kents are there and the Daily Planet is there but the film does nothing to develop Superman or Clark as a character; only really being fleshed out when we see Clark growing and using his powers for the first time.

The first half of Man of Steel, though

The first half of Man of Steel, though too dark in tone for my liking and especially for Superman, is quite good, showing the building of character relationships and some emotional moments between them. Any sign of 'heart', however, is just thrown out of the window and through several buildings in Metropolis at the very moment that Zod begins his 'alien invasion', leaving the viewer to sit through mindless action that just goes on and on, with little to no progression, making the story go nowhere.

My biggest issue with Snyder's film is that it just does not feel like a Superman film. Where is that Superman magic that the first Donner film entailed? I appreciate the "updated" origin story and that we're essentially seeing Superman starting out but we never get to see him save someone in the suit. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Superman but he was just not given enough to do in the film, making his character, and a lot of the characters in the film, very empty, never letting the audience care for any of them (apart from perhaps Mama and Papa Kent).

Man of Steel is all style and no substance.
  35. Jan 15, 2015
    An interesting proposal for the superhero genre is to present a fresh and modern Superman, but also dark and realistic. It's not been suitable the direction taken by Zack Snyder, but not bad either. Even so, this movie saves itself thanks to its good plot, narrative, actings and visuals. (71 - 100)
  36. Jan 11, 2015
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see theMan of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see the Clark Kent nerdy reporter side but for the most part I'm sold on him as Superman. Seeing Superman fly at high speeds and fight the other kryptonians was amazing! Critics did not give this movie a fair shake its one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Finally I'm happy to say Man of Steel is superb,amazing, and Super! 9 out of 10 Expand
  37. Jan 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first watched Man of Steel I was completely against it. After actually watching it as a movie and not an anti-superman fan, I really enjoyed the movie. I had a really hard time finding a flaw outside the movie, that is besides the main flaw: Lois Lane. Now my reasoning is this: She comes in on a dig site to be in the right place at the right time, wants to find the mysterious man she met, does basic research and I do mean basic, asks a couple questions and find Clark. She also stated that he has spent a lifetime hiding. When Zod comes and demands Clark/Cal they specifically ask for her even though she has no bearing at all besides the comic book relation. Forced into more of the story by being on a Military aircraft during a bombing, and needs saving on more than one occasion. Zack Snyder forced Lois to be the love interest to fill the comic fans of the golden age. As for the rest of the movie, it was great. The fights showed how Superman is truly Superman who is struggling with his full potential. Great origin and cast. All of the movie besides the forcing of Lois Lane to be the love interest was amazing. Expand
  38. Jan 7, 2015
    Not only is MOS a complete failure as an action movie, it's a total betrayal of what the character stands for. While the dark and gritty tone worked great for the fittingly brooding Nolan Batman films, the terrible Zack Snyder is in over his head here and knows only how to direct special effects. A truly terrible movie.
  39. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was looking forward to a Superman reboot after the awful Superman Returns and the success of the Dark Knight. A modern, serious tone seemed like the best way to go after the latest Batman trilogy. However, I ended up finding this movie to be joyless, destruction porn. The amount of destruction is almost laughable. Superman and foes crash into buildings and they tumble to the ground like a house of cards. Having Superman fight a horde of Kryptonians at his own power level was a horrible way to restart the franchise. Fighting lesser foes while discovering some of his strengths and powers would have been a better way to go, but now I guess he's stuck fighting god-like enemies for the sequels. At least until someone finds some kryptonite. Expand
  40. Jan 3, 2015
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:
    Man of Steel is one of the biggest and greatest movies of 2013!
    Updated review:

The movie got an awesome beginning with action at a high speed with stunning special effects. The music that Hans Zimmer composed is amazing, just as spectacular as in Interstellar and in his other works. I can't understand those who dislike this wonderful movie, but if you must point finger on someone it got to be Zack Snyder. I mean come on, what kind of unique and great movies has he made, well it can't be the producers (Christopher Nolan) fault. The movie has a great story, and I never feel bored, because there´s nothing to get bored of! I have seen this movie at least 5 times since its premiere and I still love it. The movie got some weak parts though, because there are some places when the CGI could have been better. But there´s still many unique and spectacular things in this movie, but some of them I've already seen in other movies. Another bad thing is that it might be too much fighting near the end, and I also think that they could have done more in the 2 hours and 23 minutes. But the ending though, couldn't have been more awesome as it is, and I can't wait until Batman v Superman comes out. Man of Steel is overall a spectacular, cool and a SUPER-MOVIE.

Man of Steel gets a 9/10.
  41. Dec 30, 2014
    makes all the other supermans look average, plenty of action and destroying stuff. Like the spaceships but found the bit parts for supermans dad and daily planet chief to be boring and out of place.
  42. Dec 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give the first 30 minutes of the movie a 10/10 and the proceeding hour and a half a 0/10.

It honestly felt like the first half hour couldn't have been done any better and the latter part of the movie could not have been done worst. Every event surrounding his father and protecting his identity was wrought with logic that doesn't stand up to outside scrutiny. A reporter who had no prior contact with him tracked him down effortlessly and there's at least a few dozen people that have seen him in action and seen his face and yet when it comes time to save his father it becomes a necessity to protect his identity and let the father die. That entire scene was a mess though as the family as it makes no sense whatsoever. They open their car doors, start talking about how a tornado is about to reach them, and they feel the need to close the car doors after the realization and locking their dog inside which they somehow forgot about. "A tornadoes coming?! I should first shut all the car doors and THEN run for shelter!"

The movie also killed the magic of superman as an extremely competent superhero with a few scripting blunders. First of all, only superman seemed to be having difficulty with General Zod's men. In that spaceship Lois managed to kill like 4 or 5 of the enemy alone using one of their own guns which undermines Supermans struggle with them as he kept getting knocked around in fist fights. I'm also used to Superman media having him save the day before anything tragic has a chance to happen but in this movie a whole city gets totaled with an expected casualty count in the millions and we're supposed to think it was a happy ending just because an army girl calls superman "hot"? We're all used to Superman films, cartoons, and comics having lots of collateral damage to buildings and the city but there was never the implication people died in the process and yet this movie ends with the explicit message that many innocent people of that city were caught and killed in the turmoil. Superman just felt like a sham of a hero with how incompetent he was at handling the situation and his failure to protect the people.
  43. Dec 22, 2014
    Dark,Gritty and fun,Superman returns in a brand new Movie reboot "Man Of Steel".Man of steel is a good film with great action and stunning visual effects.The Movie has flaws and some plot holes but the movie is still good in general.
  44. Dec 21, 2014
    The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax.
  45. Dec 18, 2014
    This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine.
  46. Dec 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great, I don't care what anyone says. No one appreciates this movie because they say it's full of "destruction porn." While I have to agree that the violence is a bit excessive, it is excessive for a reason. This is because this movie is showing an inexperienced and young Superman unlike the experienced and wise Superman played by Christopher Reeve. The Superman in Man of Steel has way more human qualities and has a hard time controlling his powers, which is much more realistic. I also appreciated when Superman killed General Zod in this movie because he was making the very bold and difficult choice of killing the only other and last Kryptonian. You can see he was upset because of his crying after this scene. He had no choice! All of the realism in this movie combined with the awesome effects and solid acting makes Man of Steel get a 9/10 (Awesome). Expand
  47. Dec 13, 2014
    If we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just notIf we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just not that good. Fans will be generous and applaud it's efforts, but heed my warning, don't go into it with big expectations. Expand
  48. Nov 23, 2014
    A joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problemA joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problem with how the fight with Zod ended, but I do have a problem that the buildup wasn't there so the victory/choice wasn't truly earned. After thousands of people die (which he stops to stand over their corpses to kiss Lois, ugh not a romantic moment), he suddenly cares about four idiots in a subway who don't know how to run away? Not convincing. This frat boy punch face stuff just does not comprehend the heart and joy of the Superman franchise.

Also, blatant commercial plugs for IHOP, Sears, etc were farrrr too blatant.

The only reason this movie is not getting a '0' is because Zod was a well-acted, well-portrayed villain despite the strange voice impediment, and the Krypton stuff at the beginning was fun (though again, favored action over depth, at least it had more depth than the rest of the movie).

This movie also has the most pointless death ever. Because even though he's fast enough to be a blur, they needed some B.S. dramatic moment that 'looked cool' for some dumbass reason.

Awful movie. Made me realize how much better Superman Returns was because of all the things it got right despite being a flawed movie.

Don't watch Man of $teel. With any luck the Batman/Superman movie will be better, but I doubt it, because jock-brained Zach Snyder is still helming it.
  49. Nov 16, 2014
    I knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, tooI knew that Zack Snyder should have done that, but I don't blame him. This reboot made it that close, but it failed, it was the critics that ruined this movie which makes me frustrated! I deeply enjoy this movie, Henry Cavill is a gorgeous yet a muscular character, and General Zod is more cruel than he ever was. It really has some epic fight scenes but there might be a slight problem, too many destruction across the city of Metropolis and Superman's committed killing Zod and failed to save some citizens which is predictable. Expand
  50. Nov 13, 2014
    "Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

"Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Good: Superman is finally updated and made relevant to the masses. Is it an exact interpretation of the comic book character? No, it isn't. It is a modern Superman for a modern world and is extremely well done. Well acted, especially Cavill, Shannon, and Crowe. This is how a super hero franchise should start and I was impressed with the depth of the script. The flashbacks were extremely well done and helped move the movie along by skipping past yet another origin story in the opening act. The sci-fi elements and stressing that Superman is indeed an alien was a good call. Clark is isolated and alone, which was far more realistic than one would expect. Exceptional fight scenes that put the sheer magnitude of the powers involved on display.

The Bad: During the final battles, the sheer amount of damage done and death was dizzying. It got to the point where I actually said aloud "Why is anyone still in the area?!?!" Some people are annoyed that Superman didn't save everyone, but that was sort of the point ... he can't save everyone. Shannon was up to the task and Zod was very cool, but came across as more than a little ham-fisted at times. I would have liked him to be more of a combination of wits and force instead of relying almost solely on power.
  51. Nov 12, 2014
    Zack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movieZack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movie definitely has some pacing issues, and the way it was shot was too bleak and shaky, I would have preferred to see a more colorful and steady movie. The movie has some plot holes and is oddly paced, but it's still one awesome ride and a good way to start DC's cinematic universe. Expand
  52. Nov 9, 2014
    Man of Steel may be a preposterous epic with over the top action sequences and a plethora of underused, one sided characters but it is an epic nonetheless.
  53. Nov 8, 2014
    The Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or elseThe Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or else it's no fun! A great beginning does not make-up for a mediocre middle or a disastrous ending!

The Man of Steel starts with a fantastic back story. For the very first time we really get to observe Krypton in all it's technological glory! Only to see the story slowly degenerate into camp with cardboard characters from the military that you could find in any comic books story. And, then like a car with a stuck accelerator, the story rapidly turns into another brainless war porn and 9/11-type flick (Chicago gets trashed instead of New York. When your story is so rotten you distract your audience by wrecking another major city! Wow! That was imaginative!)

Man Of Steel is also the ultimate product placement film. In fact, you could randomly choose a half-dozen movies that have been shown on the big screen this past year - and I'll bet you the Man of Steel has more product placement then all of them COMBINED! It was so obnoxious it was distracting! In the 45 years of watching movies I can only think of a handful of times that product placement has been this aggressive!! It's also symptomatic of an incredibly weak story!

The Man of Steel is so bad I was dying to walk out; but, I went to see the film with a friend so I felt obligated to stay. At least I had the sense to close my eyes and tune-out the last half hour of explosions, grunting and screaming in order to put my meditation skills to the test! I'm happy to report that even though I was totally sober I was able to completely tune-out the last 30 minutes of the Man of Steel and I could care less about what happened to any of the story's characters!
  54. Oct 27, 2014
    this film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Darkthis film doesn't really do enough for me as a superman fan despite the fact it is clearly based on the Superman Earth One comic . it has it's moments but it's mostly disappointing with characters that are only identifiable because of their names rather than their actions and behaviour and i think the dialogue can be real off at times in a similar way that certain moments in the Dark Knight Trilogy were Expand
  55. Sep 30, 2014
    With plenty of action and well crafted dialogue, and an exceptional performance by Henry Cavill, Man of Steel truly shows why Superman is great and provides perhaps the best Superman film.
  56. Sep 9, 2014
    I must be getting old or just really old fashioned. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it sure wasn't one I'd want to watch again. It's the worst "Superman" movie I've ever seen.
  57. Sep 7, 2014
    I am not a fan of superhero movies, but as they go, especially DC Comics, this is definitely one of the weakest and lightest. However, Man of Steel is still entertaining with really cool CGI.
  58. Sep 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I realize this movie came out over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I walked out from watching Man of Steel at the theatre simply feeling down. It was waay too much destruction and towards the end of the movie where like half the city is destroyed and you can visibly see thousands upon thousands of innocent humans plus thousands more off-screen inside of the buildings get killed in some way or another. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing put together movie with awesome effects and all but all I'm saying is there is A LOT more destruction and death of innocents than is needed. I couldn't really be proud and happy for superman even after he won and saved Earth because the fact that all those people, no doubt including children who's lives were more cut short(not shown being killed on-screen but saying hundreds or even thousands die off screen is perfectly fine for some reason...). Superman saves people right? Well that did happen in this movie but on a small scale so to be honest, I simply could not appreciate this movie or even Superman. But then again this could just be me and my really sensitive heart... But I'm sure some people will agree though. Expand
  59. Sep 2, 2014
    This is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, andThis is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen in a while. It started out pretty good with likable and unique characters, but disaster strikes, and they all become flat and boring characters. The constant flashbacks in the beginning of the film were also slightly annoying, leaving no room to develop Clark in the present. The action scenes are pretty repetitive, overlong, and boring. The pacing was absolutely horrible, and the cinematography was absolutely horrible, with random zoom shots and lots of shaky cam. I had a very unpleasant time watching this film. Expand
  60. Aug 31, 2014
    "A good death is its own reward" - Faora

A superhero movies ..not really what i like.Maybe this is why i give score "5".I don't know, not caught my attention.
  61. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good film, but sometimes i feel like if the screenplay was incoherent. however this fail is fixed thanks to the destructive scenes, the plot by Mr nolan, the music by mr zimmer and the most intense scenes of the film. I wish the sequels improve on the flaws in this movie. Expand
  62. Aug 7, 2014
    After the witty, cinematic "Iron Man 3", I was even more excited for "Man of Steel" that was the most awaited summer blockbuster in 2013. Unfortunately, the movie leaves too much to be desired. Superman is one of the most iconic super heroes in the America history but the director Zack Snyder transforms him into a violent, self pretentious **** I'll explain.

Back in 1978, Superman was

Back in 1978, Superman was an intelligent and sympathetic gentleman who was willing to make sacrifices for other people. The first movie was a masterpiece and it still remains a classic, the second was not as good as the first film but still pretty cool, the third was partly boring and unfunny and the the final movie in the franchise reached its peak, providing obviously poor special effects, meaningless plot and dull action. While "Man of Steel" is not as bad as "Superman IV", it still have tons of disadvantages.

Am I the only one who feels that Snyder rips off too many things from other films and games and puts in his movie? Assassins Creed, Star Wars, The Avengers, Inception's theme, Taken, Avatar? Why couldn't he be original? Just saying...

The story (which was told several times) is back again but in a way more modernized and realistic. Who needs realism in a movie where you can see men flying around and destroying countless of buildings? That worked perfectly in Nolan's Batman trilogy because the characters didn't have super powers or superhuman strength. They just resorted to advanced technology. Of course, the cast is there to support the film (Michael Shannon outstands as General Zod) and the chilling music also helps it, yet, all the plot holes and lack of character development prevent the story from scaling the heights.

The dialogue is horrendous. Numbers of times that Jonathan had to say something stupid and uninspiring to Clark like "You're not from this world Clark; When the world finds out what you can do, is gonna change everything;You are my son. But somewhere out there you have another name. And he sent you here for a reason, Clark. And even if it takes you the rest of your life you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is.; You are the answer to 'Are we alone in the universe?'; And I don't blame you, son. It'd be a huge burden for anyone to bear; but you're not just anyone, Clark, and I have to believe that you were... that you were sent here for a reason. All these changes that you're going through, one day... one day you're gonna think of them as a blessing; and when that day comes, you're gonna have to make a choice... a choice of whether to stand proud in front of the human race or not." You see what I'm trying to say? As much poetic these lines can be, they are extremely stupid.

To summarize: Man of Steel provides shinning performances but they aren't enough to make this flick entertaining, due to its overlong
  63. Aug 4, 2014
    This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
  64. Aug 1, 2014
    I don't think a superhero movie has divided opinion as much as Man Of Steel. I loved it. As a superman fan I was really happy with it. I have seen it about 5 times. I really like DC's approach to superhero movies a darker, more realistic grounded tone. While there were faults
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at
    Lois was a little underdeveloped and I thought Amy Adams was a little miscast.
    The Destruction of Metropolis at the end seemed a little much and by the time Zod and Clark faced off you felt a little exhausted of the amount of destruction.

But the good points

Henry Cavill was Brilliant
    Zod and Faora were great villians
    Kryptionians felt powerful
    Fight scenes were great if not a little too long
    Liked the flashbacks to Clark's childhood
    Felt like a realistic reaction to alien life

The film left me wanting more and i can't wait to see what they do with batman vs superman in 2016
  65. Jul 29, 2014
    "Man of Steel" is undeniably an interesting take on Superman's character, but the film eventually fails in delivering much more than superhero muscle and impressive visuals.
  66. Jul 28, 2014
    This movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where heThis movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where he made you hate his character Expand
  67. Jul 23, 2014
    Man of Steel is essentially the post origin story of Super Man, his origin is also included but this film primarily focuses on whether or not he should announce himself to the human race or live his life in secrecy. As the movie progresses it eventually evolves into the story of how Super Man is on a quest to save earth's genocide from the classic superman villain General Zod.

Henry

Henry Cavill plays the role of Clark Kent/Kal-El, or in other words Super Man. His performance doesn't stand out but it is worthy in its own right. Amy Addams also stars as the infamous reporter Louis Lane. Adams performance was better than mediocre but it certainly does not exemplify her true talent.

Zach Snyder (300) directed Man of Steel, which is a decision I highly disagree with. If DC wanted to make Man of Steal into the movie the Dark Knight was or even what the first trailer promised, Warner Brothers would need a new director. Zach Snyder brings his signature style with him but it translates very poorly to Super Man universe. His over stylized action sequences accompanied by the lackluster script reveal a major feeling of mediocrity.

I am going to divide this film in half, the first half exemplified everything I wanted in a Super Man movie; it was gritty, Super Man felt vulnerable (as much as a character such as him can), and everything was down to earth. The second half completely through out what the first had accomplished and put two immortal beings fighting each other for the better part of an hour. It was explosion after explosion that soon wore me out and lost the bulk of my attention.

The overwhelming feeling I got when I came out of the theater was how it completely wasted its potential. The first half set the premise in such a high fashion for it to only be ruined in the second and third act. The whole film just came off as disappointing which is a huge shame because it could have been so much more.
  68. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט הסופרמן הכי טוב עד עכשיו, מבוים בצורה גאונית על ידי זאק סניידר, לא להחמיץ ללא ספק אחד מסרטי גיבורי העל הכי טובים עד היום. פתיחה נהדרת לדיסי יוניברס,
  69. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  70. Jun 23, 2014
    I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movieI couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
  71. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have watched all the 5 previous Superman films. Superman II was the best, followed by I, III, Returns and IV.
    Review: This is unfortunately another failure at rebooting the franchise as had happened with Superman Returns. The problem with this film, as with Returns is that it is simply DULL. OMG! Things move so slowly! There is poor chemistry between Superman and Lois and the action scenes were overdone till they were boring.
  72. Jun 12, 2014
    the movie is great , before the release of the movie i was not very much interested because i did not like superman returns but it was way better than that it has jaw dropping visuals why the hell the critics gave the movie a very low score but this movie movie deserved a very high score i would give the movie 8 but because is was underrated i give the movie a 10
  73. Jun 11, 2014
    One of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship betweenOne of the better reboots. Well the movie isn't perfect, but its really good. The just two problems with it. 1: it feels to much like chrisopher nolan batman trilogy. 2: They needed to focus more on louis and superman relationship. Like in nolans, Clark is bruding and moping around the earth and having a serious of flash backs of his life. Sounds similar right? And the relationship between Clark and Louis needs work because to be honest you won't care about it. Overall it has good acting, story,plot, and GCI. Its worth the buy. Expand
  74. Jun 2, 2014
    Movie even worse second time, you start ti wonder why do they do this? CGI nightmare, stolen scenes from other movies. Like 4th of July, Doc Oct, Loki mop scene fro. avengers, big robot looking villain walking down small town scene.

The acting was terrible, I think one of the worse lois lane characters ever, Perry White awful and bad scenes. Same story written again about supermans beginning boring.

Everyone knows who superman is the cops even went by his house. The fact that he didn't save his father was crazy period.

CGi awful, a lot of destruction, even the Characters in front if the CGI background looked more like a game then a movie. Just nit good. Not sure why it gets some good reviews at all?

The story was bad, from the beginning. Typical Hollywood goons can't make a DC franchise good. Enough of the origins of superman already.
  75. May 25, 2014
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders"

Zack Snyder brings us the movie that we have been waiting for Man of steel is story about a young boy that discovers he has super power and is not from earth. This is the most fun iv'e had at the movies this year so far sorry Star Trek. Despite what the critics say about this movie I loved it. I just got out of the theater less then 20 minutes ago and let me say this is the best superman yet. I am a fan of Donners Superman movies 1&2 and I felt this just took it to the next level. This is the superman movie we have been waiting for i know everyone has their own opinion but seriously this the best one yet so glad that they nailed this movies because if they didn't i don't know how long it was going to be before they even tried to reboot the franchise.

I was a little worried about the early reviews for this movie. I as sat through the movie I was waiting for the plot to go dull or the acting to become robotic or for the dialogue to die out but that moment never came. The action was never over the top and i didn't think that it was too heavy i'm not sure how the critics thought that this movie was just turned blockbuster blunder. The story was told perfect this is all you can think while watching it is " I have so many questions" and in way or from throughout the movie it get's told buy. The story was fluid and thought that the flash back never felt lost me nor ever did i feel confused as some of the critics have said about it. I also like how they triggered the flash backs they didn't just throw then in there like some movies have done.

Lets get onto the action, oh man was the action so awesome there was so much destruction. Iv'e read the comics and Iv'e seen the animated movies and that is in those but this was just insane. For me this is the best comic book movie action yes the avengers had it's grand scale but this was another level so many great moments buildings falling all over the place, ships being blown out of the sky seeing krypton being blown up. At no point when i was watching it was i like ok let's tone back some of the action and get back into some story but no i that felt like it was too much that's just me though.

I have been waiting for this movie since 08 and having to wait those five years to finally see it im so glad that it's everything I thought it would be. An amazing action film with hart and soul another thing that the critics thought that this movie didn't have. The cast overall did great and I can't complain about anyone. Henry Cavill (Clark Kent / Kal-El) was perfect he killed it as Kal-El he looks the role, he's likable, he is relatable as a person you can still tell he has moral fiber he wants to be good person and he acts like it he is what i wanted superman to be. Amy Adams did a great Lois Lane, Kevin Costner did an amazing Jonathan Kent really glad they did great with character a lot of the heart felt moments were with him. Michael Shannon as General Zod was great though I was hoping for him to steal the show and take control of his role making it seem like he was the only one that could have done Zod. He doesn't do that but that doesn't take away from him big a super kickass villain.

The visuals in this movie were amazing and it only dawned on me who was behind the special effects till the end of the movie of course it's Weta Digital. They have been seriously stepping up with each movie they been a part of the last couple years. Every time i watch a movie with amazing special effects i look to see who did it and most the time it's them. They have done the special effects for every comic book since X-Men: First Class and i don't need to tell you how great that movie looked not to mention they do all the Peter Jackson films so that's petty much tells how great these guys are. I guess i should mention that they also did James Cameron's Avatar.

I know some people don't like Zack Snyder's but i like the guy his movies are great all but one that is. I also know that some people don't like Watchmen but for me that was one of the best comic book movies iv'e watched and now this one is maybe even going to beat watchmen for my most liked film by him. And really I know some people were maybe expecting a little more Christopher Nolan feel to it but no this is a Zack Snyder film for sure. Some of the shots that are in this movies are just really get the close up of the pencils, the close up on the butterfly on the swing those are some great shots especially the butterfly one that one was beautiful. Also another amazing thing about this film was the score it was breathtaking really some of Hans Zimmer's best work at least for me. I actually pre ordered the deluxe edition online i'm so glad I did that also thought it was better then any of the Dark Knight Trilogy scores.

8.0
  76. May 12, 2014
    When I heard of Man of Steel, I got really excited. It was directed by the guy who did the new Batman series. It was to have great special effects and best of all, no kryptonite! To me, this was going to make the worlds most powerful superhero get a movie he finally deserves.

The movie began like how I thought it would. Very well. It was setting up a great movie. However, after that whole moment, and we begin to follow Superman on his quest, it all goes downhill.

The movie will leave you emotionless, unattached, and possibly bored. The movie clearly focused more on it's amazing special effects and top-notch graphic artists then it's plot and character development. Throughout the movie, I wanted to feel attached towards one character, but it never happened. The movie is incredibly fast paced, and gives you no time to breathe. The entire movie is just a long blur of violence and mass destruction. For those who just like to see whole cities destroyed, extended battle sequences, this is the movie for you. And you know what, it was cool. However, it was to much of a good thing. It was like the producer/director/who ever made the movie just began to play around with affects and decided that is was going to carry the whole movie.

It was unbelievable, the amount of destruction. The one thing you could connect with was the cringes the government felt with all the money they will have to pay to repair the city. The plot was predictable, and felt forced.

Also, the movie includes a romance which makes no sense at all, perfect hair even when being thrown through cities and mountains, and... more cities and mountains being destroyed.... and more death... and a lot of destruction... and crying... and screaming... and special effects... and more buildings and cities being destroyed...

For those who love action movies, special effects, and Superman, you should watch this. For those who want a more realistic superhero movie, relate-able characters and plots, great acting and movie that will leave you WITH emotion AND still with some great action and destruction? Watch the Dark Knight series.
  77. May 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie pulls us in with a captivating new design and story for Krypton and then pulls the rug from under us as quickly as the film cuts to some 20 or 30 years later. "Man of Steel" suffers from poor writing, poor characterization, a loud, but bland musical score (of course, by Hans Zimmer, the king of loud and bland), an over reliance on CGI (which isn't all that great anyways), illogical tornadoes, and cheesy scenes.

The only thing the film had going for it in the end was the increasingly human portrayal of Superman. Henry Cavill looked the part, and acted his best given his very inconsistently written character, in fact, basically all the characters flop about changing their minds and what makes them...them...constantly throughout the film. Lois Lane's first line is a dick joke...and the next..."Where do I tinkle?". Can we get anymore inconsistent? Make a choice for who a character is and STICK TO IT unless you're gradually changing them over time.

My other main issue is the organization of the story. The Krypton sequence goes on far too long to cut to 20 years later. Either keep your pace and continue on with his childhood helping us figure out who he is and how he became who you want us to follow- OR- START with the present day him and stick with the flashbacks and let us figure out his Krypton origins when HE does. The sequence in which he finds out his origin feels redundant because guess what...We've seen it already. It just feels like they shot a bunch of random, unconnected scenes and had to find some way to stitch them together.

Overall, "Man of Steel" is inconsistent, jarringly disorganized, bland, and filled with bad CGI...all disguised with beautiful imagery and cinematography.
  78. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Super man I have watched! It took me a long time before watching this, cause I dislike most superman movies with the same tired story. I finally watched it, and was surprised how good it was. Expand
  79. May 8, 2014
    Oh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "ManOh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "Man of Steel". I wouldn't mind of that flaws if the characters wouldn't have been one dimensional cardboard cutouts of a bare minimum of what a character is. Besides that, the dialogue is about 80 percent of exposition. Secondary characters were wasted, Superman was just emotionless. But it isn't all bad. I enjoyed the visuals, the way Krypton was presented. The fights were... Good.. Just good, because at the end it becomes repetitive.
    Overall "Man of Steel" was a disappointing action flick without humanity.
  80. May 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Critics say it is too dark, it has too much action.. yeah ok it is darker than every other superman incarnation and at some points the action could have been cut down a little bit but overally the film was great! You just have to accept that it is a bit different take on Superman. It shows the begining of the hero and it does it perfectly. The action is very good because it depicts superman's powers Perfectly. Henry Cavill is great as Kal-El. Amy Adams as lois lane.. uh I don't know.. Lois' character is not relly developed in this movie, but it wasn't supposed to be. It is just an introduction. And for the Superman causing to much chaos and destruction .. it was just great! It can kickstart the next movie, by showing people doubt Superman for the damage he caused. And for killing Zod.. even better! The perfect origin for Superman's no killing rule! You saw how he screamed in pain right? In the end the movie is not just enjoyable but cleverly written and directed. Good acting and great effects make this the best Superman movie to date. Imperfect but great! Expand
  81. May 6, 2014
    I dont get the hate on this movie... i think its really good. A bit dark and a bit to over the top with the action. But the story is great and Cavil is great as superman
  82. May 4, 2014
    Man of Steel: 5/10 "Regular"

Película regular que no logra ser buena por ser muy simple y por momentos aburrida, con una historia ya conocida y poco aprovechada.
  83. May 1, 2014
    Actually i can't understand critic's bad scores for this movie! I do think it's too fantastic and could've been A LOT better but frankly' i enjoyed it a lot! Highly recommended
  84. Apr 22, 2014
    This movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed inThis movie was one of my most anticipated movie of last summer and it didn't disappoint. I loved it and I am not even a big superman fan. Action scenes were awesome and there were so many of them which kept me into it the whole time. There were times where there wasn't much action happening and a lot of dialogue which is why the run time was so long, but these scenes to me were needed in the movie and belonged there. A great dialogue with stand out performances all made this movie great. Expand
  85. Apr 21, 2014
    A truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is notA truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is not very 'Man of Steel'. It was still a very enjoyable popcorn flick. Expand
  86. Apr 21, 2014
    Well of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end whenWell of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end when you have the inevitable battle with a bad guy; one of those battles that just goes on and on and on ...and on and on. it was ridiculous. Keep in mind its one of those situations where of course Supermnan is essentially indestructible and of course his nemesis is almost equally indestructible, yet they endlessly throw each other through buidlings, throw cars and trucks at each other, bury themselves under tons of concrete and metal... but neither one is hurt of course so you just get totally bored with it. This was a total waste and 143 minutes of my life i will never get back. Expand
  87. Apr 20, 2014
    It's not really fantastic, it's not really bad. If you love the explosions and lights and things flying around, this is a good way to spend 2 hours. The plot is basic, the characters are all kinda flat and one dimensional, but it was fun seeing a lot of smaller actors as side roles.
  88. Apr 16, 2014
    The number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting byThe number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting by Zach Snyder. Snyder is more interested in showing us an artsy action scene than in ever allowing us to connect to a character. The first half of the movie is all backstory, then there's OVER AN HOUR of non-stop destruction. Yawn. Watching one skyscraper after another after another get destroyed becomes a mind-numbing display of endless repetition. The Dark Knight proved a superhero movie doesn't have to be about destroying a bunch of buildings to be exciting. Which may explain why that's possibly the best superhero movie and this is a minimal Avengers ripoff. Expand
  89. Apr 4, 2014
    How the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, andHow the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, and I give credit to all the other screenwriters involved as well. The movie does bog down in too much action towards the end, but since it's all handled spectacularly it doesn't matter much. Man of Steel is no campy comic-book movie. It's a work of art. My faith in the critics has been shaken but not broken. My guess is that the film will be re-evaluated more positively in the future just like Blade Runner or 2001. Expand
  90. Apr 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good superhero movie...

But a terrible Superman movie.
    Look up on Google "Truth Justice" or "Truth Justice and the American Way", and you will see Superman connected to the 3rd auto finish. Both the top two sites are also linked with Superman.
    Early on in the movie you see "Superman" lie, steal, and you see Superman's Earth dad ,Jonathan Kent( Kevin Costner), infer that saving a school bus of kids wasn't a good choice. Those are some great morals this "new superman" has been brought up on.
    Throughout the 45-minute-bashfest-ending it seemed like this new superman had almost no regard for where fights would happen. One scene Zod and cohorts come to confront Mrs. Kent and what does superman do? Drive one away while leaving the other two to do whatever they wished with his Earth mother.
    As if all this isn't bad enough. No matter superman's intentions, the death toll has been estimated by a disaster expert as being between 139,000 and 389,000 and over a million injured. Though he may have fought to protect them, how can they not lay some of the blame upon him? A dubious start to a 'hero' and not Superman.
  91. Apr 3, 2014
    Lots of controversy over this film. In the end I did really enjoy it though. Sure, it wasn't as spectacular as The Dark Knight, but it had moments that were getting there. The CGI in this movie in phenomenal as well. I would recommend this movie to others, but please, don't compare it to Nolan's films.
  92. Apr 1, 2014
    Kevin Costner jumps in a tornado to show superman how it works. He dies. I've laughed for the rest of the film. Lois imprisoned in the room with every single button to escape from the ship, people trapped in a cock shaped ship that want revenge.
  93. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was a pretty good retailing of Superman, even though I'm not that much of a Superman fan, however I think it was mostly the beginning of this film that I enjoyed. It did a very good job at telling the origin story of Superman and I thought it had some actually really good scenes; it had some nice emotional moments and other moments that I really liked. Unfortunately this movie that was going alright fell a bit flat around the middle. I mainly thought some of the action shown near the ending was a little to much. I mean that city near the end was a little over done. There were tons of explosions and destroyed buildings and I just thought that is mainly where the film was struggling, just trying to do way too much at the end. So the beginning was going well but that ending is kind of what killed the movie overall for me. However, it may just be because I'm not much of a Superman fan; so I'll leave it up to you to decide whether you should see this movie or not. Expand
  94. Mar 31, 2014
    Couple problems here and there. Main problems I had with it were the shaky cam, and there's a good 5 - 10 minutes where Jor-El recounts the first 15 minutes of the film, WHICH WE SAW. Also, Lois Lane being asked to board Zod's ship, and then they just sort of... forgot about her. Really, they take her on the ship, then put her into a cell, and just forget about her. No explanation as toCouple problems here and there. Main problems I had with it were the shaky cam, and there's a good 5 - 10 minutes where Jor-El recounts the first 15 minutes of the film, WHICH WE SAW. Also, Lois Lane being asked to board Zod's ship, and then they just sort of... forgot about her. Really, they take her on the ship, then put her into a cell, and just forget about her. No explanation as to why she was needed.
    That said, it's still an enjoyable film. Well worth seeing.
  95. Mar 30, 2014
    Superman has finally been given the justice he deserves in film. The action is phenomenal, the origin story feels fresh, and General Zod is as threatening as ever. Seeing Cavil in the Superman costume for the first time is an inspiring moment. The complaints I've heard about this movie seem ridiculous at times. It's time to let go of Reeves' dated Superman movies. Perhaps they were goodSuperman has finally been given the justice he deserves in film. The action is phenomenal, the origin story feels fresh, and General Zod is as threatening as ever. Seeing Cavil in the Superman costume for the first time is an inspiring moment. The complaints I've heard about this movie seem ridiculous at times. It's time to let go of Reeves' dated Superman movies. Perhaps they were good for their time, but it's time Superman step properly into the present day. Expand
  96. Mar 26, 2014
    This is my favorite movie of all time, I didn't see any flaws on it, or unless I didn't see any reason to hate it like some people that found this movie awful saying it doesn't have nothing to do with the comic but still enjoy movies like the dark knight rises...
    Don't believe on anything they say, this movie is amazing and even those who said it sucks, are waiting for the sequel...
  97. Mar 24, 2014
    Before I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and willBefore I watched this movie I didn't like superman I thought him as lame and a boyscout but this movie changed my view on superman it showed me that he wasn't overpowered or anything else I thought he was I think that this movie told the story of Superman's origin well showing his moral and integrity that with great power comes great responsibility its been said many times before and will be said many times again and for good reason man of steel shows that reason with flying colors something else i loked was that it showed when supermans integrity was being challenged you could we that he wanted to hurt the people taunting him and insuIting him i thought that was something cool to see because its something relatable with all of us theres always somewhere out there doing something to purposely hurt us but we try to show self restraint and as for the action the action in this movie was flawless very smooth and didn't have a bunch of CGI except when necessary (superspeed, laser vision etc) the thing a lot of people say about this movie was to much action I say yes and no he was fighting off an alien invasion after all but I think there was also to much action because the the final battle didn't have that give you goosebumps feeling and it didn't have the suspense I think a final battle should have but what I did like was how it showed off what could happen when two kryptonians go at it but after this review I'm gonna give it a 7 out of 10 Expand
  98. Mar 18, 2014
    well,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes savingwell,this movie's action really beats every action movie i've ever seen,the 3d effects were awesome and the suit is cool.the theme was not bad but did not fit a superman movie.I did not really like the fact that people thought superman was a villain at first.it was also weird to see zod jumping all the time. it also missed 2 iconic symbols of superman. 1. Suit change 2. Supes saving people. nonetheless this movie is not bad Expand
  99. Mar 13, 2014
    I will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogyI will start this off by saying before this film I really did not care about Superman in anyway and did not think a modern movie could really make me care. I went to this only to appease my boyfriend and out of curiosity. This was a truly great film. It might not be oscar caliber but honestly it doesn't need to be to be great. Most hero origin movies are the "boring movies" in the trilogy and are handled very chronologically. You always have to deal with the hero having that awkward phase where they are trying to find themselves. It's a fine premise but most of the time it consumes way too much of the movie. The origin story in this movie is handled very well with the flashbacks of the past at appropriate times that last as long as they need to to get the point across while the main story in the present progresses. This film does have flaws that would take a long time for me to explain but flaws and all I enjoyed this film. It never bored me or made me hope it was gonna wrap up. I understand not every hero movie should take the Dark Knight formula of realism but it had a good balance of fantasy and realism. I dare say.... no I'm gonna say it I enjoyed this movie WAY more than Dark Knight Rises and think it's a superior movie (raise your pitchforks at me if you must). Expand
  100. Mar 5, 2014
    After watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it isAfter watching all those comic heroes on the big screen, I always wondered how ordinary people, not the ones from the main cast, managed to survive in their entirety. With buildings exploding and guns blaring, no one seemed to get hurt, let alone lose their lives. Of course I'm referring to The Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman and the many others (Nolan's Batman does not count for it is in a league of its own). In this regard at least, Man of Steel has been original in that not only a lot of deaths were hinted at, some of them were shown right on screen without any qualms. Call that creative if you will, or whatever, for better or for worse the invincible man himself could not keep every single human being on the planet safe from death.

Henry Cavill is cast as Superman. He is charismatic, charming and good-looking, and perhaps the best cast for the role. Amy Adams plays Lois Lane, the much older love interest. Diane Lane is cast as Kent's mother on Earth. Russell Crowe portrays Superman's biological father, and is seen throughout the movie at key moments. Michael Shannon is General Zod, the villain who equals Superman in strength and skill, essentially rendering the former's physical superiority redundant, for he has followers too which brings the odds of numbers into play the same way any human encounters and confrontations would have.

Nolan's involvement is palpable. A sense of realism was attempted to be incorporated. For example, the name Superman is not uttered until three quarters into the second hour. The buildings collapse as the larger than life opponents battle it out. Cars are crushed and fires break out. It's safe to say that people die in great numbers.

The first hour is mainly about Superman's origins. We get to see Krypton, the alien home-world, for the first time. Unlike the other instalments in the franchise, Kent is nearing middle age before he decides (or is forced by circumstances) to take an active part in saving people openly. Before that, he roams around incognito and changes jobs and identities if he is forced by his good nature to save someone's skin. Some of his childhood on Earth is also explored.

It is around the one and a half hour mark when the larger chunk of the budget for the movie begins to show, and it depletes quickly as the action sequences follow one another in succession until the very end.

The film was an interesting take on the superhero concept. A degree of realism was certainly there. The lead was a good choice. And the whole idea of beings of superhuman strength getting it on with each other in the middle of civilization and spreading carnage indiscriminately was something that would have been virtually impossible to depict on screen before the advent of visual effects. But still something was missing. An ingredient which would have perhaps brought it to a final, perfect conclusion. I can't fault it for it for I could not say what they could have done differently. But I had a good time, if not stellar, so I will rate it accordingly.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.